PDA

View Full Version : Eagles in Glasgow, Scotland, 4th July

Stars
06-16-2009, 08:09 AM
Hey Everyone!
We are leaving for Scotland this Saturday, June 20, and I'll be attending the Eagles concert in Glasgow on 4th July! Any other Borderers going? I think it would be great fun to meet up!
I can hardly believe I will be seeing them again in just a few short weeks. I'll try to find a computer after the concert, so I can share my experience with all of you. It's an outdoor concert, so maybe no suits!! A girl can dream!:):pray:

Brooke
06-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Wow, Stars! Sounds like you will be having a wonderful vacation! I hear that Scotland is beautiful. Will you be touring the country?

Can't wait to see pics and a review of that certain concert!

sodascouts
06-16-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm not going, but I wish I were! Have a wonderful time (I know you will)! Just be careful if you stand for songs that you're not in front of any bullies!

Troubadour
06-16-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm so thrilled for you, Carla. You will have a wonderful time! Have a safe journey and enjoy Scotland, as well as the boys. I'm really looking forward to chatting to you (I've given Carla my number so that we can have a chat after her show. I'll be seeing the guys on the 7th, so it'll be a nice warm-up for me, and lovely to talk to yet another Borderer!)

It's a shame I can't make it up there this time, but I'll be thinking of you!

EagleLady
06-16-2009, 10:52 AM
:yay: Whoo Hoo Carla I am so happy for you

Koala
06-16-2009, 12:22 PM
Have a wonderful time! I am looking forward to your review and pics!

Prettymaid
06-16-2009, 12:26 PM
It's an outdoor concert, so maybe no suits!! A girl can dream!:):pray:

I think your dream may become a reality Stars.
Outdoor concerts=no suits!

Ive always been a dreamer
06-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Have a wonderful trip and concert, Carla. I sooooo wish I could be there, too. You know we will all be thinking of you and will be eagerly waiting to hear all about it whenever you get the chance. Since it's an outdoor venue, I think you have a good chance with the 'no suits' thingy. Unfortunately, you may also have a chance of getting an abbreviated set list. But, I'm sure you'll love the show no matter what the guys are wearing or singing. Have a blast!!! :wink:

Glennsallnighter
06-17-2009, 04:29 AM
Have a wonderful time Carla! I hope its everything that you hope it to be. I'd love to join you but I think the powers that be here would think it too much for me to do ANOTHER Eagles gig!! Justifiably!

Maybe if you can get to a computer while you are away you, me and Lou can have a chat?

Stars
06-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Thank you everyone for your best wishes for my trip to Scotland!
Lou, I can't wait til we can talk on the phone -it will be great fun "meeting" another Borderer!
Brooke, we are planning to tour Scotland-we'll be there for three weeks, so we are there for a while before the Eagles concert, and also afterwards.
GA, if I can get to a computer, it would be a lot of fun to chat with you and Lou!
I can't wait to tell all of you about the concert! Dreamer, even if it's shortened due to being outdoors, I will be so happy to see them without those suits, that it won't even bother me!!:thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
06-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Have so much fun and report back as soon as you can. I want a detailed report of what Timothy is wearing if it's not a suit!! :drool:

luvthelighthouse
06-17-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm excited for you! I know you are going to have fun. Yes, please get access to a computer... we will all be in withdrawl if we don't hear from you.

Stars
06-17-2009, 10:36 PM
TBF, I will certainly give a detailed report on what Timothy is wearing, and what everyone is wearing, for that matter!:) I hope I can get to a computer, if not that night, at least the next day! I will be itching to tell you guys all about the concert-I'll take notes!:thumbsup:

eaglesvet
06-18-2009, 12:34 AM
I've instructed Stars to let our boys know that she's an American in Glasgow on the 4th of July!! Maybe by waving a flag, or shooting off sparklers or something! (Actually, I think she only agreed to the flag...) Let's see if you get some acknowledgement...are your seats close enough that you might actually get some eye contact?

TimothyBFan
06-18-2009, 07:34 AM
EV-personally I think your sparklers idea is genius! That would get someones attention, tho it would probably be the Glasgow police!

Stars
06-18-2009, 07:55 AM
TBF, I'm just imagining myself sitting there setting off sparklers, and the Glasgow police coming up and carting me off, before the show even starts!:hilarious:
However, I think EV's idea about waving a little American flag will work well.
EV, I am not sure where my seat is. Mike is being rather vague. I hope it's close and I do get some eye contact-how awesome would that be??
Mike decided not to go, so I'll be all on my lonesome-however, I was alone at the Hershey concert and met you, EV, and that was fantastic!!:thumbsup:

Prettymaid
06-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Oh I agree the sparklers would be too much. Why don't you just wear something like this - much more subtle. :hilarious:

http://www.joewalshonline.com/images/JWalshFreyHats.jpg

sodascouts
06-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Warning guys: Don Henley once reprimanded someone for waving an American flag at a concert in a foreign country. No joke, I have it on a bootleg. It was in Dublin, 2006. He says something to the effect of "Put that American flag down, we're guests in this country!" He sounded pretty angry, like he thought they were doing something horribly rude. Ironically, it was during the introduction of Hole in the World, which was inspired by an American tragedy that brought so many Americans together and is a time when it would seem most appropriate to wave an American flag. I was pretty shocked when I heard it, frankly, but apparently he disapproves of displaying American flags at concerts in foreign countries.

Edited to add:

To be fair to Don, I went back and listened to it to see exactly what he said, and he does justify it by saying they were blocking someone's view... however, he also takes the opportunity to use that person's display of the American flag to take a jab at American activities abroad as well. The quote:

"[Hole in the World] was written in the year following 911. [pause as he apparently spots someone holding up an American flag] I wanna respectfully ask you to put the flag down, sweetheart, so the people behind you can see. We're GUESTS in this country. We're GUESTS here. [pause while he presumably points out fan to audience] THAT flag. I appreciate your patriotism but we have asserted our presence PLENTY around the world. [pause for audience applause] Anyway.... we wrote this in the year following 911. This is our little prayer that when we do get some new leaders in America, they will be wiser than the ones we currently have."

If I were that fan, I would have felt pretty humiliated for holding up that flag to "assert my presence" as an American. In Don's eyes, apparently, deservedly so. I would also think it was unfair that my action was being implicitly equated to Bush's foreign policy, but that's JMHO.

All this to say.... I'd nix the American flag idea.

EagleLady
06-18-2009, 10:23 AM
So he hates the idea of an american being patriotic even in another country? Don, Don, Don :fingerwag:

sodascouts
06-18-2009, 11:35 AM
I don't presume to know what Don Henley thinks, but I daresay he doesn't hate the idea of Americans overseas being patriotic in theory, as evinced from his aside to that effect in the midst of his chastisement. Obviously, though, he does have a problem with this visible demonstration of that patriotism.

TimothyBFan
06-18-2009, 12:18 PM
I don't even know how to respond to that~~~~~ so I guess I just wont. :confused:

Stars
06-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Soda, I'm glad you mentioned Don's reaction to the fan waving the American flag. I will most definitely not bring a flag-I would be totally humiliated if he said something to me about putting it away!:-(

sodascouts
06-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Well, it's possible he would be more understanding since it's the 4th of July. Maybe you could bring a small one with you and gauge whether or not to hold it up just one time, very briefly, in between songs, once you're there.... see if other people are doing it. But yeah, I would honestly be VERY hesitant to hold it up even one time unless I was assured he wouldn't react that way because he wasn't yelling at other people doing it. If you're the only one - as I said before - I'd nix it.

Brooke
06-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Good grief! That person must have been truly humiliated to be singled out like that! I'm sure they were just trying to have fun and let them know they were from the US.

I wonder why Don gets so upset with this kind of thing and no one else does? He seems to be the only one who does this kind of thing. Who appointed him crowd moderator? You would think that security would already know about this and take care of it themselves if it's such a big deal to him. :shrug:

Somewhere I read (a blog somewhere) about someone taking a sign to a concert and they only held it up for a few seconds at a time, being mindful of people behind them, and Don sent someone to tell them personally to put it down because he didn't like it. They were very embarrassed, but at least they weren't singled out from the stage!

EagleLady
06-18-2009, 01:43 PM
It makes Don seem like a grumpy old man when he does stuff like this, JMHO

Prettymaid
06-18-2009, 01:54 PM
It's a good thing this was brought up beforehand so that Soda could warn you, Stars. But IMO, Don was an a** for saying anything.

luvthelighthouse
06-18-2009, 02:45 PM
OMG, I would want to crawl under a rock and stay there if I was singled out like that! Even if security came up to me and said, "Mr. Henley would like you to put that away". It would ruin the rest of the concert for me. I would be both embarrassed and mad.

Overall, I LOVE the appreciate they show for their fans... but some of the things I don't get... like being called out for the flag or standing during a show.

Hopefully the show will be so energerized that all this won't even cross your mind when you are there. Just pure enjoyment for seeing the guys perform live.

EagleLady
06-18-2009, 02:56 PM
I would ever so subtly tell Mr. Henley he's number one

Freypower
06-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Just a question from a non-American:

If I were able to attend an Eagles concert on our national day, January 26, and waved an Australian flag at the band, how would you Americans feel about it? I daresay you might not be impressed. The Eagles, as you rightly point out, are American. (I wouldn't do it because I am not that sort of person - I don't believe in overt displays of patriotism, and our flag is the last thing I would wave at anyone, because I dislike it).

I understand that Don was saying that the Americans in the audience were guests in a foreign country but I think perhaps he went a bit far in telling the American not to display their own flag. In Dublin you might get into more trouble if you displayed a British flag, to be honest.

Prettymaid
06-18-2009, 07:48 PM
Just a question from a non-American:

If I were able to attend an Eagles concert on our national day, January 26, and waved an Australian flag at the band, how would you Americans feel about it?

FP, I assume for the sake of sameness that you would be holding your flag on your national holiday at a concert in the United States. Personally I would think that you were a fan letting the band know that you are from Australia. It certainly doesn't bother me to see the flag of another country being waved by a concert goer. It's a non - issue.

Freypower
06-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Yes, I should have said 'if I were at a concert in the United States on Australia Day and I held up an Australian flag'.

Stars
06-18-2009, 08:03 PM
Well, all I can say is that if Soda hadn't told me about Don's reaction, and if I had waved an American flag and he singled me out and told me to put it away, I'm sure the rest of the concert would have been ruined for me. So thanks, again, Soda, I will not pack my little flag when I'm getting ready to go!:-(

Stars
06-18-2009, 08:14 PM
I've just come up with a perfect solution. I'll wear my sweatshirt with an American flag on it! Don can't very well ask me to remove my shirt, can he??:hilarious:

Troubadour
06-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Somewhere I read (a blog somewhere) about someone taking a sign to a concert and they only held it up for a few seconds at a time, being mindful of people behind them, and Don sent someone to tell them personally to put it down because he didn't like it.

I am so glad that didn't happen to me in Oklahoma. I would have cried. And drunk myself into oblivion. Not necessarily in that order!

As for the flag thing... I can see where Don is coming from to a degree, and I respect his views, but I do think it was mean and rather uncalled for to humiliate somebody like that. Put it in context - it's a fan at a rock concert, wanting to let the band know that she is from their homeland and presumably that she has travelled across the Atlantic to see them. You would have thought he might have realised that. The fact that the crowd applauded, however, as Soda says in her transcript (thank you for doing that!), does suggest that those views were shared by other audience members. Unless they were just sycophants who thrived on a bit of 'drama'. I think Don saw an opportunity to criticise American foreign policy, and took it. His outspokenness is one of the things that attracts me to him, but I do think things like this could be handled much more sensitively. I'll bet that poor woman was mortified and has probably never been to an Eagles gig since. Was it really worth it?

Sidenote: The "sweetheart" bit made me LOL. Patronising git. :lol: I would love to hear that recording.

Troubadour
06-18-2009, 08:21 PM
I've just come up with a perfect solution. I'll wear my sweatshirt with an American flag on it! Don can't very well ask me to remove my shirt, can he??:hilarious:

If he does, you've pulled! :heybaby:

eaglesvet
06-18-2009, 11:53 PM
TBF, I'm just imagining myself sitting there setting off sparklers, and the Glasgow police coming up and carting me off, before the show even starts!:hilarious:
However, I think EV's idea about waving a little American flag will work well.
EV, I am not sure where my seat is. Mike is being rather vague. I hope it's close and I do get some eye contact-how awesome would that be??
Mike decided not to go, so I'll be all on my lonesome-however, I was alone at the Hershey concert and met you, EV, and that was fantastic!!:thumbsup:
Awww, shucks...:blush:

I bet your seat is a great one, if Mike won't tell.

Troub hit the nail on the proverbial head. My only reason for suggesting you bring something Red, White, and Blue was to let an American band know that an American fan traveled across the pond to see them on the American Independence Day. It actually doesn't have to be a flag...and apparently, it better not be! I like the outfit promoted by PM and modeled by JW...and look what happens to Glenn when you wear it! I think you'd better rethink the sweatshirt issue, Stars! Go for the whole striped jumpsuit thingy...that and the sparklers! Surely Don won't mind something as subtle as all that! :nahnah:

Ahh, just go ahead and have fun, ya hear?!

eaglesvet
06-18-2009, 11:55 PM
Yes, I should have said 'if I were at a concert in the United States on Australia Day and I held up an Australian flag'.
And it was an Australian band...I'd think it was a great show of fandom and support! Go for it!

TimothyBFan
06-19-2009, 07:51 AM
Good grief! That person must have been truly humiliated to be singled out like that! I'm sure they were just trying to have fun and let them know they were from the US.

I wonder why Don gets so upset with this kind of thing and no one else does? He seems to be the only one who does this kind of thing. Who appointed him crowd moderator? You would think that security would already know about this and take care of it themselves if it's such a big deal to him. :shrug:

Somewhere I read (a blog somewhere) about someone taking a sign to a concert and they only held it up for a few seconds at a time, being mindful of people behind them, and Don sent someone to tell them personally to put it down because he didn't like it. They were very embarrassed, but at least they weren't singled out from the stage!

I agree with you Brooke! I seriously have problems with him telling people what to do, especially if they aren't truly disrupting things, after that fan has paid mega amounts of $$$ to see them! He seems to think he can dictate everything and everyone in the crowd! I've said it before---IT'S A FRICKIN' ROCK CONCERT PEOPLE!!! Sorry--just MHO!

06-19-2009, 11:26 AM
FP, I assume for the sake of sameness that you would be holding your flag on your national holiday at a concert in the United States. Personally I would think that you were a fan letting the band know that you are from Australia. It certainly doesn't bother me to see the flag of another country being waved by a concert goer. It's a non - issue.

I feel exactly the same way, PM!

Brooke
06-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Fp, I wouldn't have a problem with it either, and feel the same way as everyone else!

And TBF, I'm with you! I think Pm said it....Don can be an xss.

Stars
06-20-2009, 07:41 AM
We are leaving for Scotland in just a few short hours, and I have not even begun to pack!:hilarious: My hubby is actually packing right now, so I guess I should be doing that instead of hanging around the Border!
At any rate, I will do my best to find a computer after the 4th July concert, so I can fill everyone in. I'm so looking forward to seeing our guys again, and I'm excited to share it all with you!:thumbsup:
Farewell for now, and I'll be in touch when I can!:partytime:

Troubadour
06-20-2009, 08:24 AM
How exciting! Have a safe trip, Carla, and I'm really looking forward to chatting to you. Enjoy your holiday and revel in the anticipation of seeing the guys! Can't wait to hear from you.

Prettymaid
06-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Safe trip Stars! Have a wonderful time in Scotland and wave to the guys for us!

sodascouts
06-20-2009, 12:02 PM
FP - people in America don't have issues with folks from other countries waving their flags at concerts to express solidarity with a band (like Union Jacks at a Beatles show back in the day), as long as they don't hold them up for a long time and block our views. Do Australians find such things offensive?

Troub, thank goodness that didn't happen to you! But now you know why I warned you before the show that if you brought a sign, you'd better be careful about holding it up!

And yes, the crowd applauded after Henley criticized American foreign policy. It's like dissing the Chicago Cubs at a St. Louis Cardinals game. That's what made me feel especially sorry for the girl with the flag. Henley made her a symbol of Bush's unpopular foreign policy and she had the pleasure of hearing an entire arena of people applauding her humiliation as a result.

I'd put up the audio but I won't be back in Indiana for a few more weeks.

But I don't want to harp on the negative. This is going to be a terrific event. Stars, the shirt is a great idea. I know you will have a wonderful time and I can't wait to hear all about it! Have fun on your trip and be safe!

Freypower
06-20-2009, 06:37 PM
To be honest with you Soda, I can't tell you if Australians find this sort of thing offensive because we don't do it!

I'm going to see Simon & Garfunkel tonight (for the first time since 1983)! and I know that I won't see any American flags, or any flags, waved. We just don't do that sort of thing. But if it happened it would not worry me.

If I happen to have an item of clothing that may be meaningful to an artist I will wear it. When I saw Billy Joel recently I wore my New York Yankees T shirt. I wanted to wear a New York Rangers sweatshirt tonight but the weather is cold & rainly so I have to dress warmly.

Anyway Carla, have a fantastic time in Bonnie Scotland.

Troubadour
06-20-2009, 07:22 PM
Oh, wow. Have a fantastic night, Julie! Enjoy every second.

EagleLady
06-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Hope you have a good time Julie

Glennsallnighter
06-22-2009, 07:43 AM
Travel safely Carla. I hope you have a wonderful time.

And Julie, I hope you HAD a wonderful time at the S&G concert. they too are a 70's duo that I love.

eaglesvet
07-04-2009, 09:22 AM
HAPPY EAGLES 4TH OF JULY, STARS (AND STRIPES!):grin::wave:

Fan_For_Life
07-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Have a great time tonight Stars.

Glennsallnighter
07-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Hope you had a great night Stars. All evening I've been thinking 'They must be onto ...... in Glasgow now' PGW at its worst. Can't wait to see your review....

Koala
07-05-2009, 01:43 AM
Hope you had a wonderful time at the concert! :partytime:
Canīt wait to hear more! :)

scottishlass
07-05-2009, 05:28 AM
Hi there well seems some uk concert people are not happy cause they didnt take a break lol.
hampden had a support act he basicaly played the eagles30 min break for them, and eagles fans had 2 hours 20 mins all eagles no breaks. They came on 20 mins later and didnt take a break whats wrong with that.
The support act was good as well, great show, great as usual. Nice to see it didnt rain as well. eagles and crowd both great.

few people were obsessing they didnt play 3 hour show, i thought they never play 3 full hours that 3 hour includes a 30 min break. So europe just getting the same, only some places had paul carrack, and they didnt take a break cause they came on lil ealier. Still same songs same set list just no break.

brillianyt show looking forward to nxt time they come.

luvthelighthouse
07-05-2009, 11:34 AM
I think I would have an enjoyed a show that went straight through w/out a break. I bet that had to be exhausting for them, so I say kudos to the band!

scottishlass
07-05-2009, 11:59 AM
yeap with or without a break it was brilliant. yeah 2 hours 20 mins without a break is very good going 20 songs. Some people just like to moan about things, you always get a moaner at concerts. Best thing to do with people who moan is ignore them the concer was brilliant.
Noticed on the ticket that there was a curfew of 1030, and they finished at 1020, so they done very well. Great show hope to see them again in coming years back in uk and scotland.

07-05-2009, 01:01 PM
few people were obsessing they didnt play 3 hour show, i thought they never play 3 full hours that 3 hour includes a 30 min break. So europe just getting the same, only some places had paul carrack, and they didnt take a break cause they came on lil ealier. Still same songs same set list just no break.

sl - In the recent past, whenever the guys have an opening act and don't take a break, there has been an abbreviated set list. They usually only perform about 20 songs, as opposed to the normal 26 -28 song set list. The show I attended with the abbreviated set list and no break ran a little less than two hours whereas the 26 - 28 song shows with a break included ran approximately 2 3/4 to 3 hours.

scottishlass
07-05-2009, 01:18 PM
well i dont see a problem with 23 songs. it was 23 songs they played last night i believe. It was 2 hours 15 mins they played so really only 30 mins short of there usual. Time was a factor as well, having to be done by 1030. It was a brilliant concert 23 songs is very good not many artists give you that amount in 2 hours 15 mins. I don't see why people were moaning about it. Some people like to moan. well when i say people i mean 1 guy who moaned from the minute we saw him about everything in life lol.

Hope to see don and the guys back soon. There brilliant

EagleLady
07-14-2009, 11:44 PM
YooHoo Carla! Hope you get back here soon Girl and tell us all about the concert!