PDA

View Full Version : Def Leppard

Fan_For_Life
06-16-2009, 07:43 PM
They are going on tour this month with Poison and Cheap Trick and are on CMT awards tonight. Anyone going to any of the shows or watching the award show tonight?

Brooke
06-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Can't make it to any shows :sad: but I did check out the CMT awards last night.

I love DL, but I'm pretty sick of Taylor Swift. The hair flopping has got to stop! Why doesn't she just 'take over'! I thought she sounded awful on Pour Some Sugar on me. DL would have sounded better without her. jmo!

EagleLady
06-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Ouch! I love Taylor.

Brooke
06-17-2009, 10:46 AM
I think TS is a very talented young lady, but all the fame and fortune is 'going to her head'.

As for DL, I just can't quite see them 'going country'! :headscratch:

TimothyBFan
06-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Ok--so even tho I HATE country, I had to look at youtube for a video of this performance last night. I'm sorry- but that was just funny! :hilarious: Brooke-I TOTALLY AGREE with you--she was just a little over the top with all the hair swinging and strutting, especially when you consider she is strutting around on a stage with a band that was probably popular before she was born. I remember seeing her on whatever country awards those were that I had to sit thru the WHOLE thing to see the Eagles, singing that song in the wedding gown... I really wasn't that impressed then and less so with last nights performance. Don't shoot me anyone....just MHO.

And what's up with DL? Are they really trying to go country? No matter how you slice it, that performance was NOT country! Why were they even on the show? Am I missing something?

And in answer to FFL's original question. I will have to check for dates around here because that would be a great show. Have seen them all but how great would it be to see them all in the same show. LOVE Cheap Trick especially!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRgP-C7XU-s

Brooke
06-17-2009, 04:37 PM
They actually did a Crossroads Special with Taylor a few months ago. I haven't seen it. Don't want to. JMHO, too!

I would love to see all those bands together though.

EagleLady
06-17-2009, 04:38 PM
I thought the whole hair flip thing was awesome, and I realize I am in the minority here when it comes to Taylor.

Prettymaid
06-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Here's what I wrote in the 2008 CMA Awards thread about TS.

Okay, I'm continuing to watch the CMA's...

Can somebody explain the Taylor Swift appeal? This is the second time I've seen her perform (I think last time was on last year's CMA's) and to me she's not a very good singer or performer. I guess I like female vocalists who have some vibrato in their voice and she has none. I realize she's young but how did she get this far?

My opinion hasn't changed by watching this video. But how great did DL sound? Good performance by them, but on a country music awards show? I agree with TBF - what are they doing there?

EagleLady
06-17-2009, 05:49 PM
I think she appeals to the younger generation such as myself.

Prettymaid
06-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Ouch EL! :hilarious:

AzEaglesFan
06-17-2009, 05:59 PM
I like Taylor Swift, she seems to have a good brain in her head. She doesn't do drugs,drink, or isn't pregnant. She still lives at home with Dad,Mom and brother and doesn't have a bad thing to say about them. I like her recorded music and videos better than I like listening to her in person though. She did sound great during the George Strait special.

Prettymaid
06-17-2009, 06:05 PM
If I hear that song Love Story one more time I'm going to put a bullet in my head! (AOGG, can you find the appropriate smiley for that?) :hilarious:

Peekaboo
06-17-2009, 07:31 PM
My dvr cut off right before the DL/Taylor Swift performance so thanks for posting that vid. I thought the opening sequence she did with Bill Engvall and the rap video with T-Pain was hilarious. I'm not that big of a fan of Taylor's but I do like some of her songs. From what i've seen on past award shows, she doesn't sound nearly as good live as she does on her recorded songs. Not everybody can be as perfect as the Eagles (sorry, I couldn't resist with that one but our guys do sound damn good live in concert).

Fan_For_Life
06-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Going to take a vacation and see them in West Palm Beach and Tampa in Aug. I've seen DL and Poison but not Cheap Trick.

I enjoyed Crossroads more than last nights performance. I try to understand the enthusiasm she had after winning the most popular award and being onstage with people she looks up to. She is a little over the top when it comes to perfoming with the rock sound behind her. As far as fan of TS,,not music but personally she seems to be alright.

EasyFeeling
02-07-2010, 02:04 PM
I'm a bit late on this LOL. I downloaded the Crossroads show a few weeks ago. I didn't much care about Def Leppard in the past, but I figured out that was a big mistake. I can't say I'm impressed by Taylor's performance. But Def Leppard is fantastic. I did not know many songs or cannot remember the older ones. I bought their album X last week and I'm thrilled. Then I bought Hysteria and Songs From The Sparkle Lounge, just great.
I remember they were touring a few years ago in Germany but I did not know how good they are :brickwall:

sodascouts
02-07-2010, 03:16 PM
I saw Def Leppard at the Houston Rodeo several years ago - geez, probably ten years ago now or so! - and liked them, too. I remembered them from my "big 80s" days though. ;) Glad you have a new band to love!

EasyFeeling
02-08-2010, 01:41 PM
You lucky girl :D I always liked the melodic rock bands or AOR bands like Toto, Foreigner etc. A while ago I came across this website and found reviews from so many bands who sound like from the 80s. I found W.E.T., Unruly Child, Jeff Scott Soto, Art Of Work, Place Vendome and some more. Interestingly many of the bands in these reviews come from Sweden.

http://www.melodicrock.com/reviews/reviews.html

Love it :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlu3otYB7to

Brooke
02-08-2010, 02:43 PM
We saw Def Leppard a couple years ago and they were great and I'm now a big fan.

Kinda funny cause back in the 80's when they were really big I didn't want our daughter to listen to their music because I thought they were bad boys! When we told her we were going to see them she couldn't believe it! How times change!

EasyFeeling
02-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Brooke http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif What made you think they were bad boys? Anything specific?

It's also funny that I start to enjoy some bands only now, after 30 years http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif
This makes it a lot more difficult for me to see them live. :brickwall:

What a band!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyoxIEkOua0

TimothyBFan
02-09-2010, 09:19 AM
I can see the whole 'bad boy' thing with them in the 80's. It was no secret they were drinking, drugging, sexing and rock n rolling. It was common knowledge that they were taking girls under/backstage and doing naughty things (it was in all the rock mags). I remember reading and seeing the interviews on MTV. Just what did you think they were pouring the sugar on him for? :hilarious: They were bad and as a girl in my late teens/early 20's--I couldn't wait to see them live. :hilarious:

Brooke
02-09-2010, 11:55 AM
You got it, TBF! :lol:

Ive always been a dreamer
02-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Yeah - I think they definitely had a 'bad boy' image. They, along with Journey, were/are probably my favorite 80's band though.

WalshFan88
11-16-2010, 06:40 AM
My last band thread post for tonight! :hilarious:

Def Leppard is one of my favorite 80s bands. My favorite 80s bands for the record are Leppard, Journey, and Guns n' Roses. My favorite Leppard song probably won't come as a surprise, as it is indeed their biggest hit "Pour Some Sugar On Me". I miss Steve Clark though. He was my favorite Leppard guitarist. I don't care much for Vivian Campbell and his attitude, but Phil Collen is a great guitarist too.

Brooke
11-16-2010, 11:31 AM
I saw DL a few years ago in Peoria and didn't really know much of their music at the time. Now I've become a huge fan and would love to see them again. My favorite song is Hysteria.

WalshFan88
11-16-2010, 04:11 PM
I saw DL a few years ago in Peoria and didn't really know much of their music at the time. Now I've become a huge fan and would love to see them again. My favorite song is Hysteria.

That's where I saw them for the first time! Peoria! I had only heard a couple of their songs. Pour Some Sugar and Hysteria are my two favorites.

Brooke
11-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Austin, back in their heyday, my daughter liked them (she was like 12) and I told her she couldn't listen to their music cause it wasn't nice. When she heard we went to their concert she couldn't believe it!

I guess I've changed. :hilarious:

WalshFan88
11-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Austin, back in their heyday, my daughter liked them (she was like 12) and I told her she couldn't listen to their music cause it wasn't nice. When she heard we went to their concert she couldn't believe it!

I guess I've changed. :hilarious:

:hilarious:

Brooke
06-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Went to see Def Leppard Wednesday night at the Sprint Center in Kansas City! They put on a really great show and man, those guys are in shape! I took some pics, but I found some online and they are much better than mine, so take a look at the shirtless guitar player! He must be at least 40 or so! Whoa! :shock: I'm a casual fan, so I really don't know their names other than the lead singer, Joe.
http://www.deflepparduk.com/2012kansascitypics.html

It was sweltering hot outside and we had to walk about 4 blocks from our hotel to the venue, but we stopped for refreshments before the show in the Power & Light District which is a really cool area of bars and restaurants next door to the Sprint Center.

There were two opening acts, Lita Ford and Poison. I had heard of LF, but didn't know any songs at all. She was pretty good and looked like she was pretty. Tall with long blond hair. Quite a hard rocker. Not really my cup of tea. She played for about a half hour.

Poison was much better. Of course, I love Brett Michaels and some of the Poison songs. Especially Every Rose Has It's Thorn, Unskinny Bop, and Talk Dirty To Me. He didn't do Something To Believe In which disappointed me, but he looked great and sounded great too. I think he's lost a bit of weight since seeing him on his crazy reality show, Rock of Love. They played about an hour.

Our seats were about half court in the first row of the lower bowl. Not bad, but I would prefer to be closer and will remember that next time I buy tickets. At least there was no one standing in front of me! Being short (5'3") that far back on the floor would mean I would have a very hard time seeing much.

I'm more of a fan of DL now than when I went to the first show I saw of theirs, so I knew lots more songs. Their stage was awesome! A double decker with stairs on each side and different band members were constantly going up and down during the songs.

When they came out their whole show was just much more over the top than the other two acts. The whole stage production reminded me of an Eagles show as it just really had the wow factor. They played about an hour and a half with no breaks other than a drum solo and a guitar solo giving the others time to change shirts. They did a few songs I didn't know, but also most of the ones I did. They did about 18 songs. My favorites:

Foolin', Animal, Love Bites, Let's Get Rocked, When Love & Hate Collide, Have You Ever Needed Someone So Bad, Two Steps Behind, Bringing On The Heartbreak, Hysteria, Armageddon It, Photograph, Pour Some Sugar On Me, and Rock Of Ages. I think my overall fave is Hysteria.

All in all, we had a great time and it was well worth seeing DL and Poison. One thing, neither did encores. They just thanked everyone for coming, waved to the crowd and did a few high fives with those in front!

ETA: One more thing, the arena was packed out and the whole crowd stood the entire time for Poison and Def Leppard. KC was into it and rocked out! :thumbsup:

zeldabjr
06-30-2012, 10:08 PM
glad you had fun Brooke...I love DL...have seen them live several times...they are always good...have been a long time fan of theirs...interesting that they didn't do an encore...I can't remember if they did in the past when I've seen them..hmm

Windeagle
07-01-2012, 01:28 PM
I'd love to see Def Leppard. They (and REM) were where my musical energy went after the Eagles were no more. I saw REM a couple of times but never made it to DL.

By the way, the lack of an encore would be a bonus for my husband. He gets so frustrated with what he calls the "encore game". His philosophy is "Just play the d--n songs! You know you're going to anyway!". When I read him Brooke's post about that, it made him want to see DL now too.

Brooke
07-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Yeah, really! I knew when they had done PSSOM and ROA without leaving the stage that it was over! They really did put on a good show.

We, they are on a big tour, so maybe they will get to your area! Definitely worth going!

Windeagle
07-02-2012, 06:34 AM
We, they are on a big tour, so maybe they will get to your area! Definitely worth going!

That would be great but I don't think I can do it this year. There are so many great bands touring that I've blown my concert budget, and my husband's patience, right out of the water. So far, I have seen or will see:

Avett Brothers in April
Glenn Frey in May
Shawn Colvin in June
Mumford & Sons w/Dawes in August
Joe Walsh in August
Suzanne Vega in August
Florence & The Machine in Sept (hubby gets a break - I'm going with my girls)

Hubby's great about seeing concerts with me even though he's not a big music fan, but even I know I'm pushing the limits this year!

WalshFan88
07-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Glad to hear you enjoyed the show. Their new live album Mirrorball is pretty good and there is a new song on it as well.

Topkat
07-14-2012, 10:38 AM
They are playing tonight in Atlantic City at Ovation Hall, the venue that the Eagles just added to their schedule!

sodascouts
01-09-2013, 07:08 PM
The record company continues to screw artists over regarding internet distribution and digital rights.

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/elliott-universal-records-would-be-nothing-without-leppard/

The greed of the record companies just makes me want to throw up! I can't wait for the day when the need for them goes away entirely.. and I don't think that day is too far away, no matter how many people they sue.

AstraeaLunaAvani
03-23-2013, 05:39 AM
Def Leppard are very special to me, they were the first band I saw live! In 1988 when I was 15 years old! I've seen then probably 5 times total. I think my favorite song by them is Bringin On the Heartbreak. Most of my high schooll years were spent watching their DVD's! *sigh* ahhh, memories!

zeldabjr
03-23-2013, 06:36 AM
love them too...have seen them live three or four times...they've always been a favorite of mine...

Ive always been a dreamer
03-23-2013, 01:03 PM
I've never seen them live, but they were definitely one of my favorite 80's bands along with Duran Duran.

Outlawman13
03-23-2013, 04:33 PM
OHHH this band is so wonderful. I've never seen them live either, but they have been one of my favvie bands as well. Love their songs.

EagleLady
03-23-2013, 05:37 PM
I love them too. Joe Elliott is sooooooo sexy, at least to me, LOL

AstraeaLunaAvani
03-23-2013, 06:14 PM
I've never seen them live, but they were definitely one of my favorite 80's bands along with Duran Duran.

You're a Duranie too!! :-o That's awesome!! They were my first favorite band and I recently got into them again, they are so awesome! I never got to see them live, they still tour now but I'm not off work enough, so it hasn't worked out yet.

zeldabjr
03-23-2013, 07:05 PM
I love them too. Joe Elliott is sooooooo sexy, at least to me, LOL

heck yeah...Pour your sugar on me Joe...anytime!!!

Outlawman13
03-23-2013, 07:25 PM
MMMM ohhh yes!!!! Joe Elliott is very, very smoking. I mean just looking at him makes me want to faint
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww177/Spirtwalker-Rain/Joe%20Elliott/joeelliott14.jpg
LOL btw, this is my 666th post. LOL.

zeldabjr
03-23-2013, 08:37 PM
oh yes....Joe...

I saw them in Toronto once...an outdoor concert...and Joe had on a Tshirt and jeans...the tee said "DO ME"....dang...!!!

Windeagle
03-24-2013, 09:09 PM
heck yeah...Pour your sugar on me Joe...anytime!!!

My teenagers get a little freaked out that I know all the words to Pour Some Sugar On Me and sing them loudly in the car.

AstraeaLunaAvani
03-24-2013, 10:23 PM
Ahhhh omg I haven't seen that poster of Joe since it was on my bedroom wall 25 years ago!! :faint:

My favorite was Sav though, and he still looks good now! Actually they all do! This band is very slow to age!

AlreadyGone95
06-19-2015, 05:13 PM
Very old thread, but I've gotta say:I love Def Leppard

My uncle introduced me to them when I was 12,and I've been a fan since. Between the ages of 12-14, Def Leppard were my life! I drove my mom and uncle nuts playing their albums and the Rock of Ages dvd!

It wasn't just the music that made me love them. I was born with a mild case of Cerebral Palsy that affects my left side(luckily, it's only physical) Hearing about Rick Allen and what all he went through after the car crash, made me realize that despite my disability, I could do almost anything I wanted!

My favorite album is either Pyromania or Hysteria. My top 3 favorite songs are:
Gods of War (Hysteria)
Paper Sun (Euphoria)
Too Late for Love (Pyromania)

Funk 50
06-23-2015, 05:44 PM
I've never been a fan of Def Leppard but I did watch a documentary about them quite a few years ago.

I don't remember much about it but I'll never forget the incredibly humbling scene when articulate, chatty, forever cheerful, positive, jovial, Mr.nice guy, drummer, Rick Allen, returning to the scene of the accident where he lost his arm, just suddenly burst into tears.

Some things you can never know until you've lived through them.

sad-cafe
11-09-2015, 08:07 PM
saw them at our arena last month. Fantastic show.

Tesla (they sucked) opened

Then

Foreigner ---fantastic

Then

Def Leppard. Bloody awesome

Their new CD is also out and it is great as well.

Love this band.

Witchy Woman
11-09-2015, 10:28 PM
Def Leppard are effing awesome !! I saw them live a couple of times in the late 80's, and I'm glad they are still touring and putting albums out. Pyromania will always be my favorite, closely followed by Hysteria.

AlreadyGone95
11-10-2015, 01:05 AM
Def Leppard's new album is on the top of my music wants list. I haven't heard any song from the album, except Let's Go, which I like. I wish that the album was available on Spotify, but it's not.

Funk 50
11-10-2015, 07:57 AM
Def Leppard guitarist, Phil Collen learned to play slide guitar from Joe Walsh's YouTube tutorial!

There's a whole bunch of interviews where he tells the story. Here's one;

http://musicenthusiastmag.com/def-leppard-phil-collen-new-album-delta-deep-interview-2015/

When I got back to playing guitar I couldn’t actually hold the neck properly or play. My wrist was really weakened, limp and everything. So I went online and got a Joe Walsh tutorial, and he says [puts on southern accent], “OK, you hold the guitar like this! I learned it from Dwayne Allman! You do this, and then you do this!” It was like a ten minute tutorial, I followed it and then the next week I played slide guitar for the first time.

That was the first time I’d ever played slide in my life, and the credit goes to Joe Walsh and that tutorial.

sad-cafe
11-12-2015, 09:07 PM
the new album is posted on you tube by someone in individual songs

Lets Go

Dangerous

Battle of My Own

will get you started.

It is fantastic

AlreadyGone95
11-13-2015, 07:27 PM
Thanks for telling us that SC! I'll be making a visit to youtube shortly :).

sad-cafe
11-22-2015, 04:37 PM
I ordered they physical CD from Amazon. got it in like 3 days and have played it every day . It is great. Hysteria is probably my all time favorite, but this one is great.

AlreadyGone95
12-11-2015, 01:43 PM
After a couple of listens, I'll give the new album 4 out of 5 stars. Overall, I love it, but not as much as Pyromania or Hysteria.

Has anyone read Phil Collen's new autobiography? I think that I'll be buying it with my Christmas money.
Amazon link for the book http://www.amazon.com/Adrenalized-Life-Def-Leppard-Beyond/dp/147675165X