PDA

View Full Version : Cologne, Germany 17-6-2009

Koala
06-18-2009, 02:46 PM
So I found a review now
I hope the translation is ok.

Heroes from another world: The Eagles in Cologne

The highlight, so one could mean, is already reached at 20.27 o'clock.
If the Intro of «hotel of California» sounds and hear the voice of Don Henley (60)
then are 14,500 fans in the aim of her wishes.
Hotel California», appeared in 1976, as a title piece of the fifth album of the same name of the Eagles, is more than only one song. At the same time a milestone and a mystery, a magical mix of virtuoso guitar playing and distinctive vocals.
Only a few minutes ago Henley and his comrades Glenn Frey (60), Joe Walsh (61) and Timothy B. Schmit (61) starts with "How Long". "How Long" is a good start. Because it comes from the 2007 released album "Long Road Out Of Eden" with the band after 28 years, the first new disc presented - and it is similarly successful as its predecessors!
Long, long ago

The fact that it long ago, since the Eagles joined together is often a topic with a belonging serving of irony.
Henley says: "Our first album we recorded in England. At this time the dead sea was only ill."
Or Walsh apologises to the younger listeners, «that your parents have played this all the time when you have become big».
Supported by two keyboards, a piano, percussion, additional guitar, violin, three saxophones and a trumpet Frey (song, guitar, Slidegitarre, piano), Henley (song, percussion, guitar), Walsh (song, E guitar, acoustic and Slide guitar) and Schmit (song, bass) provide for a pleasantly, softly and a nice full sound !In particular, the polyphonic singing, enchanted, in combination with the front line of stringed instruments, which stand for a high degree of individuality. With break three hours lasts the musical trip which leads through over-populated towns, deserted highways and ,desolate deserts which tells about outlaws, rebels and witchty women and in the bluegrass and country with rock and pop mix. "Long Road Out Of Eden"is the perfect contrary of the mystic hotel. Songs like «in The city» grow by the end to opulent brilliance.
Walshs "Life's Been Good" harvests wild cheering, and in "Dirty Laundry" nobody more holds it on the places. If at the end, shortly after 23 o'clock after the last encore "Desperado" sounds , one throws up a melancholic look at four men completely in front on the stage. With her black suits, white shirts and black ties, with weather-beaten faces and the impression of Western hero they looks like from another world, nevertheless, completely in ours come.

SETLIST

How Long
I Don't Want To Hear Any More
Guilty of The Crime
Hotel California
Peaceful Easy Feeling
I Can't Tell You Why
Witchy Woman
Lyin' Eyes
The Boys of Summer
In The City
The Long Run

No More Walks In The Wood
Waiting On The Weeds
No More Cloudy Days
Love will Keep Us Alive
Take It To the Limit
Long Road Out Of Eden
Somebody
Walk Away
One of These Nights
Life's Been Good
Dirty Laundry
Funk 49
Heartache Tonight
Life In The Fast Lane

Take It Easy
Desperado

Koala
06-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Peaeeful Easy Feeling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyVdoSSOScA&feature=channel_page

Hotel California ( from the European Leg of the Tour Thread)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mTgt9SmIeU

luvthelighthouse
06-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks Koala!

Somebody is back! You know, we've mentioned in the past that maybe the guys don't mix things up because of their techincal team and video's etc... but they pull and put songs back in at their pleasure. :shrug: So, with this in mind, I would really like to see them mix it up a bit w/different songs rotated in and out. I know it won't happen... but it could... and should, IMO.

sodascouts
06-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks Koala!

WOOOOT, so glad to see Somebody back!!!

cynd1231
06-18-2009, 03:06 PM
Thank you, Koala, for a brilliant translation! The more they travers the Continent, the better the reviews, and the more anxious I am for them to return to the States. I intend to see them at least once more before this tour concludes.

By the way, I've seen comments regarding whether or not a DVD of the concert will be released. While I haven't heard anything, I have noted in a few of the YouTube clips that there are "boom mikes" visible in some of the shots. Leads me to believe that there's a lot of professional filming in the works as they travel about. In my opinion, they'd be foolish NOT to put out a DVD and I'd be the first in line with cash in hand.

Again, Koala, thanks and please keep up the excellent work. Those of us who are challenged by non-English languages are eternally grateful for you translations and postings.

luvthelighthouse
06-18-2009, 03:12 PM
Here is another review... why all the Bee Gee references lately?

http://www.ksta.de/html/artikel/1244612077725.shtml

sodascouts
06-18-2009, 03:15 PM
You know, we've mentioned in the past that maybe the guys don't mix things up because of their techincal team and video's etc... but they pull and put songs back in at their pleasure. :shrug: So, with this in mind, I would really like to see them mix it up a bit w/different songs rotated in and out. I know it won't happen... but it could... and should, IMO.

The thing is that they'd not only have to work up the number, they'd have to work out camera blocking and all that (although frankly I don't think that would be too hard - just "follow the music" as Glenn says). Still, it's a heck of a lot easier to remove a song than to add a new one, that's for sure.

Freypower
06-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Yay for Somebody! Please, Glenn, never drop it again!

They film every show, so there will be a DVD, but no mention has been made yet of where it will be filmed.

Regarding the 'Bee Gees' cover band this baffles me as I said the first time it was mentioned. There is no comparison. The Eagles' ballads have always been a bit 'tougher' and the Bee Gees very rarely did guitar drenched rockers like the Eagles.

I'll happily look at Glenn's 'deep wrinkes' any time, thanks.

Prettymaid
06-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Henley says: "Our first album we recorded in England. At this time the dead sea was only ill."

Don made a joke! And I'm thrilled that Somebody is back.

Freypower
06-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Normally Glenn makes that joke. Given that Don only talks before The Long Run I think the reviewer is mistaken.

Freypower
06-18-2009, 07:44 PM
I found this. Unfortunately, Somebody is not listed in this setlist.

http://www.wdr.de/radio/wdr2/musikbildergalerie/musikbildergalerie_detail.phtml?id=521441

For the life of me I can't understand why the song has been dropped. They should be doing new songs on this tour. If I ever see the show, it appears the only new song I will hear Glenn sing is How Long.

Koala
06-19-2009, 12:26 AM
more videos

Lyin Eyes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsgz_ROFOTg

I Can't Tell You Why
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd4nRbCz_pg&feature=channel_page

Koala
06-19-2009, 01:05 AM
In the setlist from yesterday Somebody was listed,
However, in other setlists I have found (today) nothing about Somebody,
then Somsbody was probably not played! :-(

Volker
06-19-2009, 01:19 AM
Sorry,but Somebody was really not played in Cologne.

The Band plays 26 Songs and 2 Hours and 40 Minutes.

EasyFeeling
06-19-2009, 07:03 AM
I'm watching the videos... wow, these are brilliant :thud:

How many days, Koala? :partytime:

Prettymaid
06-19-2009, 07:29 AM
Sorry,but Somebody was really not played in Cologne.

The Band plays 26 Songs and 2 Hours and 40 Minutes.

Welcome Volker! Were you at the concert? If so we'd love to hear (read) your thoughts about it.

EasyFeeling
06-19-2009, 08:19 AM
More terrific videos:

No More Cloudy Days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-Jlf7z0WjM&feature=channel

The Long Run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAvA6n42JFs&feature=channel

Take It To The Limit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5zpsufYfF0&feature=channel

Koala
06-19-2009, 10:44 AM
How many days, Koala? :partytime:
Only 27 Days! :)

Brooke
06-19-2009, 03:34 PM
I found this. Unfortunately, Somebody is not listed in this setlist.

http://www.wdr.de/radio/wdr2/musikbildergalerie/musikbildergalerie_detail.phtml?id=521441

For the life of me I can't understand why the song has been dropped. They should be doing new songs on this tour. If I ever see the show, it appears the only new song I will hear Glenn sing is How Long.

I feel for you Julie. Isn't this the Long Road Out Of Eden Tour?

luvthelighthouse
06-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Count me in as one of those who totally agree! It IS the LROOE tour and the should play that song (not omit a la outdoor venues) and add more from the DOUBLE album.

I know people want to hear the hits, but there are plenty of those to mix in. No offense to Don/Joe, because I love the solo songs they do in concert... but I'd rotate those out in favor of some LROOE songs as well as older Eagle classics. I mean, it's an Eagles show. Again, I LOVE Dirty Laundry and Funk#49... but I'd rather hear It's Your World Now and Do Something in their places. Again, only because it's the LROOE tour, KWIM?

Freypower
06-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Absolutely. But NOT only because this is supposed to be the LROOE tour. Those songs you mentioned are great songs and I would love to see them played live. For me it is tragic that not only will I never see WDIDWMH, IYWN, ILTWAWD, YANA... and now apparently I may not even see Somebody. (I use Glenn's songs as examples). All this stuff about not becoming a 'tribute' to themselves appears to have been forgotten.

Fan_For_Life
06-20-2009, 07:57 PM
I wouldn't mind them taking solo songs out and adding more Eagles songs. Glad to hear whatever they choose but Already Gone would be a nice song to include. :)

Freypower
06-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Regarding that, I have already had to accustom myself to there being no Already Gone, no Tequila Sunrise and no New Kid In Town. But if those songs had to go they should have been replaced with new songs. I have nothing against Dirty Laundry, Walk Away etc either, but we have been waiting so long for this album and now it seems to be treated with something like disdain. It is quite ironic that two of the songs they DO play from it, IDWTHAM and GOTC, happen to be my two least favourite tracks. They cannot please everybody, I know that. But I personally seem to always be the one who misses out when the setlist is written. I know who is responsible for the setlist and I don't understand how he thinks. I suppose I can continue to cling to the Melbourne show in 2004 when I was one of the first to hear NMCD. I am of course looking forward to that song again. It's better than nothing.

Ive always been a dreamer
06-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Well, I know it must be really hard for those who have to wait for the band to come their way. FP, at least you can take solace in knowing that they will be coming to your country in due time. I can't imagine what it must be like for fans in those countries that the band will never visit or that simply can't afford to go to the shows. :weep:

As far as the set list, I'm sure all of us would make our own personal changes if we could. I am sorry to see that Somebody has been dropped in recent shows as well, but what really disturbs me the most is cutting the number of songs. Considering the ticket prices, the band should perform a three-hour show with no less than 28 songs, IMHO. As far as dropping Don or Joe's solo songs, I would bet that it will ever happen. A big part of the reason that the guys wanted Joe in the band is so that he could 'beef' up the live shows with his rockers, and I must say it works. I would be in shock if Funk #49 or Life's Been Good were ever dropped. At this point, looks as if Dirty Laundry and Boys of Summer are also in for the long run (pun intended). We can second guess the set list all we want, but it's sure proven to be a formula for success up to this point.

luvthelighthouse
06-21-2009, 12:25 AM
We seem to have hijacked this thread... but I agree with FP. They do seem to have forgotten they didn't want to be a tribute band. Dreamer, you are right, we can't change it, but we certainly can discuss it. You say the formula has worked... to be honest, if Don's songs were droppped and Eagles songs added in, I still believe the formula would work.

Believe me, I'm all about hearing the hits... but I also want to hear the new stuff too. With 25-28 songs, it would be nice to hear almost half of the new album. The point to touring is to support the new CD... so I feel they should support it, by playing those songs.

Ive always been a dreamer
06-21-2009, 01:05 AM
ltl - I apologize if it sounded as if I were trying to stop the discussion about the set list. That was certainly not my intention. Please feel free to continue discussing the subject. Here are a couple of threads that are already in the Tour Talk forum about the set list:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1331

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715

However, if you want to start a new thread, that works too. I think it would be interesting to discuss this more, but for now, it is late, and I am tired, so I'm gonna hit the bed. :wink: