PDA

View Full Version : Farrah Fawcett died today

TimothyBFan
06-25-2009, 01:01 PM
According to CNN a few minutes ago.

http://www.kansascity.com/stargazing/story/1279641.html

Farrah Fawcett, 1947-2009

http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2009/06/25/11/192-FARRAH.embedded.prod_affiliate.81.JPG (http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2009/06/25/11/888-FARRAH.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.JPG)
Chris O'Meara
** FILE ** Farrah Fawcett arrives for the MTV Video Music Awards in Miami in this Aug. 29, 2004, file photo. A representative for Fawcett says she has checked into a Los Angeles hospital. Craig Nevius tells People magazine that the 62-year-old "Charlie's Angels" star, who was diagnosed with anal cancer in 2006, was hospitalized because of a blood clot that was likely a side effect of treatment she recently had in Germany. (AP Photo/Chris O'Meara, File) ORG XMIT: NY110

http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2009/06/25/11/195-21876841H2034360.thumb.prod_affiliate.81.jpg (http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2009/06/25/11/671-21876841H2034360.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg)

Farrah Fawcett has died.
From People.com:
Farrah Fawcett died at 9:28 a.m. PST at St. John’s Heath Center in Santa Monica, Calif. She had recently returned to St. John's for treatment of complications from anal cancer, first diagnosed three years ago. Her longtime partner Ryan O'Neal was at her side throughout her final days.
Like so much about Fawcett's life – including her bumpy relationship with O'Neal – her heroic struggle to beat the disease was closely followed by her legion of fans.
"I've watched her this past year fight with such courage and so valiantly, but with such humor," Fawcett's Charlie's Angels costar Kate Jackson told PEOPLE in November 2007.
O'Neal, in particular, remained a steadfast supporter of Fawcett, who, despite her frailty, spent the last months of her life filming a TV documentary chronicling her illness, including several trips to Germany to undergo experimental treatment. Fawcett is survived by her son with O'Neal, Redmond, 24, who is currently serving a prison term in California after repeated drug offenses.
Blonde, blue-eyed and petite – and with a trademark mane as flowing and famous as the M.G.M. lion's – the Corpus Christi, Texas, native was born Feb. 2, 1947, the younger daughter of an oil-field contractor and his homemaker wife.
A magnet for male students at the University of Texas at Austin, Fawcett eventually set off for Hollywood. Quickly noticed by casting agents, she began landing small parts in forgettable movies, such as 1970's Myra Breckinridge, based on a gender-bending novel by Gore Vidal. Her role: an ingenuous blonde.
In 1973, Fawcett married actor Lee Majors, forever known as Col. Steve Austin on TV's The Six Million Dollar Man. Three years later, she appeared in the cult sci-fi film Logan's Run and began her stint with costars Jackson and Jaclyn Smith on Charlie's Angels. Well-coiffed and scantily-clad, the threesome created an instant sensation, with a weekly following of 23 million fans.
Fawcett moved on after just one season. By then, she was already a phenomenon, having donned a one-piece red bathing suit and a perfect smile for her legendary pin-up poster, which sold a still-record 12 million copies.
"I became famous almost before I had a craft," Fawcett told The New York Times in 1986, four years after her divorce from Majors. (By then, she was already involved with Ryan O'Neal.) "I didn't study drama at school. I was an art major. Suddenly, when I was doing Charlie's Angels, I was getting all this fan mail, and I didn't really know why. I don't think anybody else did, either."
Though she left TV for what was assumed to be greener pastures – feature films – Fawcett's initial three big-screen vehicles all crash-landed. Her first, 1978's Somebody Killed Her Husband, was lampooned in MAD magazine under the title, Somebody Killed Her Career.
It took some serious dramatic TV roles, including that of a battered wife in 1984's The Burning Bed (which earned her an Emmy nomination), as well as starring in small-screen biopics about pioneering photojournalist Margaret Bourke-White and ill-fated Woolworth heiress Barbara Hutton, for Fawcett to bounce back.
"What would you do if someone said to you, 'You're so popular right now that you can be on the cover of every magazine, but if you do that, you might get overexposed and a backlash will develop'?" Fawcett told The Times after she had emerged from one of the valleys of her career.
Still, she said of fighting for survival in Hollywood, "That's life. Everything has positive and negative consequences."

EagleLady
06-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Awww, How sad, It just seems when one dies, another follows suit :-(

GlennLover
06-25-2009, 01:10 PM
I was just wondering yesterday, how she was doing. She was still a relatively young woman. Sad that her only son is in prison at the time of her death.

Troubadour
06-25-2009, 01:39 PM
Very sad to hear this.

MikeA
06-25-2009, 03:01 PM
WOW!

:sigh:

cynd1231
06-25-2009, 04:00 PM
She has put up a valient fight these past few years. May the angels in heaven welcome her with open arms. Thoughts and prayers to those who loved her best.

sodascouts
06-25-2009, 05:18 PM
It's always sad when someone dies before even hitting the age of 65, but when that person was a symbol of vibrancy and youthful beauty at one time, it's especially hard to accept. RIP, Farrah. My prayers are with the family.

Glennsallnighter
06-25-2009, 05:39 PM
I loved 'Charleis Angels' as a kid. Its so sad to see one of the 'Angels is now gone from us. I'd only recently been wondering how she was as well. I heard earlier this week that she was very weak. Well she is free from pain and suffering now. Of course my prayers are with her family at this time. May she Rest in Peace.

AzEaglesFan
06-25-2009, 07:03 PM
This is so sad but she has had to endure so much pain. I hope this is a wake up call for her son. If he keeps up the drugs he may follow her and die way before his time. I had just heard Ryan O'Neal talking about how he had finally talked her into marrying him, to bad they never got the chance.

Prettymaid
06-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Here's the way we all remember Farrah. What a beautiful woman. May she rest in peace.

http://www.strangecelebrities.com/images/content/15618.jpg

Ive always been a dreamer
06-25-2009, 09:01 PM
How terribly sad. Farrah put up a very courageous and admirable battle over the past few years. This "Angel" will be missed. My heart goes out to her family and long-time partner, Ryan O'Neal.

Mrs Frey
06-26-2009, 06:21 AM
So sad, so sad... I was so hoping she would beat the cancer, but of course, more recently it became apparent that she wouldn't make it.

The fact that Redmond had to come and see her in his prison gear was especially sad. Apparently, she was unaware that he had been imprisoned - they had decided not to tell her. She didn't even notice Redmond's appearance when he was allowed to visit.

What a stunning woman. I'm just so sad that she had to suffer the way she did. She went through enough in her life in abusive relationships. At least she's been relieved of her suffering now.

My thoughts are with Ryan, Redmond and the rest of her family. May she rest in peace.

Brooke
06-26-2009, 10:09 AM
RIP Farrah. Thoughts and prayers are with your family and friends.

What a beautiful lady she was.

luvthelighthouse
06-26-2009, 11:13 AM
Who didn't love Farrah? I always remember her performance in The Burning Bed... made me realize, never stay with a man who hits you just once. Of course, Charlies Angels was great with her.

I believe she still has title for the best selling poster of all time. Here it is:

http://thepluripotent.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/04-05-09-farrah_fawcett_swimsuit_poster_70s.jpg