PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jackson dies at age 50

sodascouts
06-25-2009, 05:52 PM
I just heard that Michael Jackson has died!

http://www.tmz.com/2009/06/25/michael-jackson-dies-chat/

Perhaps TMZ is wrong? Only his hospitalization due to cardiac arrest has been announced on the news channels. We can hope... he's a troubled individual, but nowadays 50 is too young to die.

Edited to add: His death is confirmed. RIP.

EagleLady
06-25-2009, 05:55 PM
I've learned not to believe everything you read on the internet, JMHO

EagleLady
06-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Yeah, I just read he's not doing very well. I pray for his recovery.

Troubadour
06-25-2009, 06:24 PM
I am in shock. I know nothing's confirmed yet, but... Wow. Let's hope for the best.

sodascouts
06-25-2009, 06:31 PM
The Los Angeles Times reports that he was officially pronounced dead 15 minutes ago.

What a shame.

EagleLady
06-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Oh No! My prayers are with his family! Geez, three people dead in one week :-(

Troubadour
06-25-2009, 06:36 PM
I can't believe it. How terribly, terribly sad.

TimothyBFan
06-25-2009, 06:36 PM
My daughter just got a text alert from one of the TV channels saying it has been confirmed. My goodness, him and Farrah in the same day. What icons they both were! Unbelievable.

AzEaglesFan
06-25-2009, 06:57 PM
I was having lunch with a friend and saw that Farrah had passed away, I wasn't surprised with her having cancer but when I saw that Michael had passed away too I was surprised. I feel sorry for his three children. I can just see the battle for their custody and his estate starting now.

timfan
06-25-2009, 07:12 PM
the Jackson family spokesperson has just spoken to CNN. Said he does not yet know the fate of Micheal but that it was presciption drug abuse that caused this..

edit:
CNN has just cofirmed from the LA coroner that Micheal Jackson is DEAD!!!

Freypower
06-25-2009, 07:29 PM
Is this really true? When I saw the thread I assumed you were talking about some other Michael Jackson.

This is so sudden - and all those dates that were scheduled for London?! I can't believe this has happened.

Remember all those great songs from Thriller - Beat It, Bille Jean, Human Nature and... 'life ain't so bad at all/I'm living off the wall'.:sad:

timfan
06-25-2009, 07:34 PM
The coroner's office has just announced Micheal was pronounced dead at 2:26 pm local time this afternoon (about 2 hours ago).

Glennsallnighter
06-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Thats true indeed FP:-(. I'm with everyone here. 50 is so young to die. I know some of his lifestyle practices were a little strange to some people, but it takes all kinds to make a world but he contributed tremendously to the world of music. Who will ever forget dancing to Thriller? Lets not forget too that he had 3 children who have now lost their dad.

May he rest in peace, and to his family and friends, my deepest sympathy.

Prettymaid
06-25-2009, 07:59 PM
Unbelievably unexpected!

Peekaboo
06-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Wow!! This is such a shock!! My prayers are with his loved ones.

With Farrah Fawcett passing today and now Michael, it's all that's talked about on tv right now.

Ive always been a dreamer
06-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Wow - what a horrible tragedy. He was definitely an enigma and controversial in many ways. However, he was also an extremely talented individual and a true American icon. My heart goes out to his family, especially his three young children, and also his fans.

Fan_For_Life
06-25-2009, 09:23 PM
It's tragic and a very great loss. My heart is sad he will be truely missed as will all the other losses we've had over the course of the last few days. :-(

sodascouts
06-25-2009, 11:07 PM
The coverage on the news networks has been constant, although Farrah Fawcett gets a few minutes in between "breaking news" about Michael Jackson. At this point, the "breaking news" is simply morbid footage of his body being transported to the coroner. I changed the channel.

How awful for his small children and family. I'm afraid, as was said earlier, it could get messy regarding their custody and the dispersal of his assets, especially since I believe he still owed a great deal to creditors.

As for the 50 dates at the O2, I can only imagine the hit the concert promoters will take. While I hope it's not the case, I think this could conceivably be financially devastating to some of the people who were heavily invested in that venture.

I was 7 when Thriller came out, and 12 when Bad came out. At the time, he was the biggest thing around. My friends and I all thought he was the greatest and tried to figure out how to moonwalk and dance like him.

Later, unfortunately, he began to physically exhibit his deeply troubled psychological state with his drastic and unnatural changes in appearance. The scandal with the young boys was also devastating. Even if no molestation took place, his behavior was inappropriate to say the least. All these things led to a career nosedive from which he never recovered.

However, when he is remembered, it will be as that incredibly talented iconic figure from the 80s who in many ways changed the rock music scene.

RIP, Michael.

luvthelighthouse
06-25-2009, 11:54 PM
I can't deny my love for I'll Be There, he was such a sweetie... but as time took over... we all know how that went.

In any case, I wonder if Paul will be able to buy back the rights to his own music now.

Mrs Frey
06-26-2009, 06:14 AM
I heard the news as soon as I awoke this morning - my father, who had just heard the news himself, told me. I was shocked, and saddened.

I admit that I've never been a fan of Michael's, but he did mean a great deal to millions of people around the world. I do admire some of the work he did as a child, as there are very few children who can sing as beautifully as he could then. He certainly had a lot of talent, and wrote some beautiful songs.

I felt sorry for him, as I feel that his abnormal childhood contributed to his strange lifestyle. He never had a chance to be a child, and I think he spent much of his adulthood trying to compensate for that loss.

Sadly, Michael was not a man to do anything in moderation. When my father broke the news to me, I immediately suspected that he had succumbed to a heart attack. I had read the reports that he was busy trying to regain his fitness in order to carry out his famous dance routines in the series of O2 Arena performances he had scheduled. I can only guess that he was trying too hard, exerting himself to such an extent that his heart gave in. No one could expect a 50-year-old to perform like a 20-year-old. We all slow down as we grow older - it is a fact of life.

I feel so sorry for his three children, his family, and all others close to him. He never got the chance to redeem his public image, which I'm sure he desperately wanted. However, the fact that all his O2 Arena shows were sold out is testament to the man's popularity. Perhaps a redemption wasn't necessary after all.

May he rest in peace.

Koala
06-26-2009, 07:24 AM
This is shock! a great loss, I have heard it today morning on the radio.
I could not believe it.

TimothyBFan
06-26-2009, 07:44 AM
I'm still truly in shock of the events of yesterday. I was a child of the 70's and he and Farrah were the 2 biggest icons ever from that era. I choose to remember him as a young Michael singing ABC or I'll be there with his brothers or moonwalking across a stage to Billie Jean.

He was obviously a very troubled man and I in no way will condone what he may have done later in life if it was true, but I must feel sorry for him because I really feel he was a very lonely man who probably couldn't trust anyone.

And I can only hope that his children will be ok and that the people responsible for taking care of them and this mess will keep their best interest in mind.

MikeA
06-26-2009, 08:15 AM
Well said Willie!

Brooke
06-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Very sad news indeed and such a rock icon. May he rest in peace.

tbs fanatic
06-26-2009, 10:55 AM
What a shock! My mind keeps going back to the really early days with the Jackson Five - he was a standout even then. His voice at such a young age was incredible. How sad. Farrah Fawcett too. Two icons in one day.

Kinrow
06-26-2009, 12:40 PM
When I was told that Michael Jackson died, it was the same sensation I had when John Lennon died. First disbelief, then sadness for their passing too early, and thinking of what had been, and what could have been.

Freypower
06-26-2009, 06:27 PM
I've had his music in my head now for two days. I've got Thriller but I never bought Off The Wall and now feel I should. Well, I've left it late, haven't I? The syndrome of buying the music of an artist who has just died never affected me until now.

I think some of the claims of 'genius' which are being tossed around are off the mark. Jackson was never a particularly strong singer and the sound of his records was basically orchestrated by Quincy Jones. I am not sure of how much of his songwriting was really his own work. But he was hugely influential, there's no doubt of that.

To me the last few years of his life were a tragic waste for many reasons and I only hope he is at peace now.

sodascouts
06-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Besides musically, he was especially influential in the making of music videos. When Thriller came out in 1982, videos were in their infancy and most artists weren't spending too much time on them. After the video for the song "Thriller," which was practically a mini-movie and which was an immensely popular hit, you saw a whole new level of time and money spent on videos, a whole new level of sophistication in them.

It changed how record companies looked at videos. They weren't just something to spit out, they were something that could contribute significantly to the song's success if done right - just as the Thriller video became inseparable from the song and aided its success. They started giving a great deal more attention to the videos of the artists they were attempting to promote. It generated a lot of entertainment for the MTV Generation, that's for sure - although I'm sure some musicians probably understandably resented being forced to "act" even for a three-minute video, and resented having to attempt to make themselves look as good as they sounded.

Freypower
06-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Watching a tribute on the SMH site I came across this. I wonder if you know anything about this, Soda? (NB this is only for a limited time).

And he was a good looking man when he was younger. It was such a shame he felt he had to resort to all the whitening of his skin.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Wallpaper/Miscellaneous/MJSN.jpg

EagleLady
06-26-2009, 08:49 PM
I thought he had some sort of disease that Turned his skin white, but I agree he was cute when he was young.

sodascouts
06-27-2009, 01:52 AM
Yes, I know about that FP. It took place at the end of Clinton's inaugural celebration in 1993. His campaign song had been "Don't Stop," and he specifically asked for the Rumours-era lineup to play at his inauguration (although both Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks had left the group at the time). The inauguration, in fact, got them talking again and led in part to them being more amenable to a reunion four years later. Gotta give Clinton props for that.

Fleetwood Mac fans often joke about that moment, because as Fleetwood Mac is singing "Don't Stop," Clinton joins them onstage and walks towards Stevie, his family right behind him... at which point, Michael Jackson runs in between him and Stevie to get next to Clinton.

Here's a wider view:

http://www.buckinghamnicks.net/bn/images/SnLClintonGore.JPG

sodascouts
06-27-2009, 02:07 AM
BTW thought I would post a video of my favorite song of his, "Man in the Mirror." I find it very meaningful and moving, and the key change at 2:10 really brings it home.

"If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself, and then make a change."

So true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPSkurGQj-M

Fan_For_Life
06-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Is my favorite of his too Soda. So beautiful. Thanks for sharing that.

Prettymaid
06-27-2009, 03:26 PM
My favorite MJ song is Black Or White - love the morphing at the end!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI9OYMRwN1Q

Troubadour
06-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Love Man In The Mirror and the lyric you quoted. Thanks, Soda.

MikeA
06-27-2009, 06:19 PM
I am pretty sure I heard there was a Tox screen being ran and that results wouldn't be available for around 6 weeks. It was apparently pretty well known he was a heavy user of prescribed meds...oxycotten and something else I don't recall....heavy pain meds.

Koala
06-28-2009, 02:50 AM
One of my favorite songs from Michael Jackson is Man in the Mirror, too.
Another favorite from me is the Earth song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FZcAzZOyOg

Fan_For_Life
06-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Came across this a few minutes ago.

http://www.fancast.com/blogs/celebrities/michael-jackson-was-bad-and-that-was-good-a-remembrance/?cmpid=FCST_buzz0628

On one of the recent news reports covering Michael Jackson (http://www.fancast.com/people/Michael-Jackson/56979/full-length-videos)’s death, mentalist Uri Geller speculated that no one knew Michael, and indeed, the self-proclaimed King of Pop was an enigma that, along with his music, will be his most lasting and original creation. But in October 1987, I was with Michael and he provided clear insight into his psyche, and it wasn’t pretty.
“Have mercy, for I’ve been bleeding a long time now,” he wrote in an strange and haunting epistle that has even more resonance in light of his tragic passing yesterday at the still youthful age of 50.

TimothyBFan
06-30-2009, 10:24 AM
It is making me absolutely sick seeing people still trying to make money or get their 15 minutes of fame off of him after his death.

Case in point... In the middle of the night there is a syndicated show that runs called Coast to Coast. Don't know if any of you are familiar with it but it's a talk radio show about UFOs, extraterestrials, life after death and the supernatural. My husband is a talk radio junkie and he catches the last hour of it every morning on his way to work and has told me about it. Anyways, we had to leave extremely early Sunday morning so we were flipping channels and on this show was some guy that was "channeling" Michael Jackson. It was just pathetic and sickening! Some people just have absolutely no scrupples or morals. In my opinion, 2 more of those people are Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. Has there ever been 2 guys that pop up for every controversial thing there is more than these 2 leeches? Just MHO!

Fan_For_Life
06-30-2009, 07:19 PM
My daughter brought this up today. She and her friend went on ebay a few weeks ago and there was a 30 disc cd set of MJ for $30. They went to check it this past Saturday and had jumped up to $300. It's amazing that the cds were practically worthless when he was living and within two days everything MJ has gained 10% or more.

As for JJ and AS,, I'll keep my thoughts to myself. :singer: Although Al did give a nice news conference in regard to MJ's passing.

AzEaglesFan
07-02-2009, 02:34 AM
It is getting to the point that I can't stand to watch any more about it. Now a "wife" has turned up and they are questioning who the "real" father of his kids is.
They can't even figure out where to bury him The poor man is dead let him rest in peace.

TimothyBFan
07-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Amen AZ---We all knew it would become a circus!!! Everyone is going to have their hand in the pot before it's all over. I was glad to hear that he did indeed leave a will behind naming his mother as the guardian for the kids and Diana Ross as guardian if his mother was unable to. I just keep thinking about these poor children!

Brooke
07-02-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm wondering how long they can keep him in cold storage and the body is good enough for 'public viewing'. Now they say they might have that on Sunday. Could be messy! I hope they take their time. We want everyone to get their requests in!

Sorry, couldn't resist. It's just all getting so ridiculous.

AzEaglesFan
07-02-2009, 05:35 PM
CNN had the mayor of Gary, In. where Michael was born on TV last night. He wants the burial there in Gary. They are planning a BIG memorial in Gary on July 10 no matter what. What next???

EagleLady
07-02-2009, 05:40 PM
CNN had the mayor of Gary, In. where Michael was born on TV last night. He wants the burial there in Gary. They are planning a BIG memorial in Gary on July 10 no matter what. What next???

Well it's only fitting that they have the burial in Gary, after all, it is where he grew up

AzEaglesFan
07-02-2009, 05:44 PM
It would be better in Gary than at Neverland since that place could turn into a waste land if it doesn't get the proper management. Another place they talked about was Forrest Lawn, isn't that where a lot of the big stars are buried?

EagleLady
07-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Just got Latest issue of People Magazine with the tribute to Michael. He was such a cute kid with the Jackson 5.

Fan_For_Life
07-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Seems Mr. Jackson was busy up until his passing. Hope the video surfaces eventually.
Michael Jackson's 'Dome Project' (http://extratv.warnerbros.com/2009/06/jacksons_dome_project.php)

http://extratv.warnerbros.com/2009/06/jacksons_dome_project.php

TimothyBFan
07-02-2009, 07:27 PM
It would be better in Gary than at Neverland since that place could turn into a waste land if it doesn't get the proper management.

Sorry, but this statement just cracked me up... you apparently have never visited Gary Indiana... to late... trust me, it pretty much already is a "wasteland". It has been voted on several occasions as one of the dirtiest, mist crime infested cities in the nation. I'm only an hour away and have to go thru it every trip we make to Chicago. It's down right scary!!!

EL--not fitting at all for him to be buried in a city that several years ago it was rumored that he denied ever being a Gary native, if in deed that was true and that was how he felt about it. Who knows?

Apparently my daughter is getting in on the act also. Her and her friend were going thru my albums the other night and I came across this picture on my computer yesterday. She must be a great actor because she looks like she is just devastated in this pic. Her and my son were sad to hear the news but I rather doubt she would have this reaction.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/katieafterMJsdeath.jpg

EagleLady
07-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Well, Just imagine the publicity if he gets buried at Neverland, It'd be like Elvis at Graceland.

Fan_For_Life
07-02-2009, 07:37 PM
I've not watched alot of news since his passing so not up on everything that's been said over the last week. Someone mentioned at work today whether there would be a place dedicated to MJ called Neverland. I guess time will tell if and when someone comes up with the idea.

Freypower
07-02-2009, 11:29 PM
I have heard that California law states that he cannot be buried at Neverland. I don't know the full details.

tbs fanatic
07-03-2009, 06:25 PM
I cannot believe how much time the tv stations have spent on this - CNN in particular. I really think it is time to let Michael RIP now and leave his family to do as they wish concerning his resting place.

MikeA
07-04-2009, 12:22 PM
A shame isn't it. At this point, it seems to be a LOT more about Money and Fame than Family. What a complicated life.

Fan_For_Life
07-04-2009, 01:06 PM
This is why I've done my best to stay away from any headlines that mention MJ. Unless it has anything to do with his music. I don't know and don't want to know it's none of my business. I too hope RIP(as in not having to deal with the mess) comes soon for his family being how he's already taking his rest.

Freypower
07-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Do you remember that he also (before the Eagles) wrote a song called You Are Not Alone? He must have felt so alone so often.

EagleLady
07-04-2009, 08:12 PM
That was during his marriage to Lisa Marie. I have read stories of his father verbally and physically abusing him. Sad.

Glennsallnighter
07-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Do you remember that he also (before the Eagles) wrote a song called You Are Not Alone? He must have felt so alone so often.

I remember that song.

tbs fanatic
07-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Watched most (though not all) of the Memorial today. Wow! It was a real tear jerker. I thought it was especially moving when Jermaine sang 'Smile'. Very moving. Also, when his daughter spoke, of course. It was really something.

EasyFeeling
07-08-2009, 03:54 AM
I also watched yesterday and was very moved. Ok, I admit I cried. I was worried they would put up a big show and I'm glad they did not.

R.I.P. Michael, I'll never forget you!

Brooke
07-08-2009, 09:59 AM
I watched it off and on yesterday and also some of the specials last night. I thought it was really nice. Brooke Shields made me tear up and so did his daughter Paris. How sweet she was. It made me realize that evidently he was a good Dad and the kids do love him. I wish the best for them.

And as much as I didn't like what he became with all the plastic surgery, he was a unique and enormously talented guy that gave much to the music business.

RIP Michael.

Fan_For_Life
07-08-2009, 05:46 PM
I watched some of it too. Up until Brooke was done. I almost teared up too during her statement. I really like the statements made by Magic Johnson and is it Coby(don't watch alot of basketball). Not to change the subject but could've done without AS making his NAACP speech, yet again. Michael was a troubled man who seemed to face alot of inner demons. But he managed to be graceful even during times of questionable circumstances. Not to change the subject again, but if he had been inappropriate with my kid, there's no way I would've settled for money. I would not have even accepted money, dirt poor as I am. I'd a made sure or at least tried to make sure he ended up in jail for life.

He made quite the impression on me when I heard Billie Jean, watched him make videos into movies, brought to life the spirit of dance for me, all he had to do was move and it became a dance and still brings a smile to my face even though he is no longer making music. Sorry to be going on about this, just things going through my mind.

Freypower
07-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Please excuse the cynicism, but I found it sad that it took his death for people to remember that he was born African-American. He could have done a great deal for the African-American community instead of spending the last decade of his life denying that he was one of them. He sang 'it don't matter if you're black or white' but he seemed to go out of his way to behave as if it did.

EagleLady
07-09-2009, 12:23 AM
I have always seen him as African American. No matter how bleached his face got.

Freypower
07-09-2009, 12:29 AM
You miss my point. He himself appeared to deny that he was African American.

Fan_For_Life
07-09-2009, 07:18 AM
I'm not so sure he denied his african american roots, he apparently had a condition. I've seen this condition, not so sure if he changed his skin color or if his skin changed color. Perhaps since some of his skin was already changing, he didn't want to be two toned. Honestly, just going on my own perception here, and the little of what I've heard him say about this.

sodascouts
07-09-2009, 04:30 PM
And now Al Sharpton is saying that his death didn't get ENOUGH coverage because he was black. Oh my gosh, it was all over the news for TWO WEEKS!!! I hate to say it, but our guys are not gonna get this kind of coverage when they pass on (in the DISTANT future, God willing) regardless of the fact that they are white.

You gotta wonder if some of these people are serious, are just doing it for the publicity.

Freypower
07-09-2009, 06:44 PM
My husband & I were talking about whether there would be this sort of reaction if (say) Robert Plant, Mick Jagger or Paul McCartney died and we didn't think so. McCartney, maybe, but it won't be on this level.

Regarding the 'skin condition' this is what Jackson claimed. Whether it is accurate we will now never know.

Fan_For_Life
07-09-2009, 07:38 PM
About the skin condition, I heard it might have been triggered by the fire incident during filming of a Pepsi commercial back in late 80's. If in fact his scalp burned bad enough it may have caused some kind of neurological damage.

sodascouts
07-10-2009, 12:45 AM
My husband & I were talking about whether there would be this sort of reaction if (say) Robert Plant, Mick Jagger or Paul McCartney died and we didn't think so. McCartney, maybe, but it won't be on this level.

George Harrison got a segment or two on the news and a few tributes, but not much more.

TimothyBFan
07-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Oh Great!! There is the tribute tomorrow in Gary and the only family member that supposedly showing up is Joe. But great news, Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson will apparently be gracing the audience with their presence. :twisted: Leeches!!!!

eaglesvet
07-13-2009, 02:36 AM
A little surprising more of the Jackson family isn't showing up, if that is where they grew up??

scottishlass
07-13-2009, 05:22 AM
its offical, im tired of hearing about MJ. a city that owes milions of dollors in debt, can somehow find cash to fund this. why not take some of his millions and use it. im telling he has millons hidden somewhere out there. with his record sales alone now, they can afford it.

i found the whole thing very staged and awful. im guessing that child didnt want to get up therre, al the family are well known as controling. they made there millions of michael alone, the one thing he didnt want his kids in the lime light, and min he gone there thrown right in there by his family.

there not the ideal family for bringing up kids, theydont have good track record either, michael wasnt al that fond of his dad and no wonder. to much pressure on him, mj tried to get rid of anything on him that remiinded him of his father, why so many plastic surgerys.

his father should be ashamed, cause partly his doing that mj was like the way they are. his kids will not be brought up in a stable enviroment. give it a week or so from now we see his kids been thrwn more into the media.

music wise he was good, im not a fan apart frm the thriller video, but it was good, as a person very weir man. he should of been in jail for the stuff that he had admitted to. the parents of these kids that did know should be ashamed to.

the docs who gave him these drugs should be jailed. given hospital only drugs to someone is against the lawand i hope they are charged. i ont think he was murdered but i think its been, years of abusing his health and body with not eating proper and taken all these meds. so many diffeent kinds all the time no wonder his organs packed in. someone really should of refused, if they all refused then mybe he would be here today.

sodascouts
07-13-2009, 12:37 PM
A little surprising more of the Jackson family isn't showing up, if that is where they grew up??

Reportedly the Jackson family has never been proud of their humble beginnings in Gary, Indiana.

AmarilloByMorning
08-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but "sources" keep coming forward with "additional insight" to Mr. Jackson....

1) The whole point of someone trusting you with information is that the proverbial "seal" will exist beyond one party's death. This point is repeatedly hammered into us in law school, but it seemed common sense prior to that. Why do people keep "disclosing" information? Is the drive for fame that powerful? I've never understood it. So you're on telly for ten minutes. Is that worth betraying someone?

2) My first thought when I heard of his condition was that the media should be indicted for murder. When. Will. They. Just. Let. The. Man. Die.

Will the media (in general, not just in Mr. Jackson's case) crescendo at some point? Or are celebrities going to have 24-hour webcams by this time next year as the prerequisite to stardom?

MikeA
08-21-2009, 03:36 PM
PREACH IT ABM!

AmarilloByMorning
08-21-2009, 04:05 PM
:singer:

This board has fabulous smileys. I ought to leave well enough alone, I suppose.

But, I mean, really!

A year and a half later they're still dredging Heath Ledger's almost pristine existence. I can only imagine how long this one's going to last!

Brooke
08-21-2009, 04:09 PM
:thumbsup:

AzEaglesFan
08-22-2009, 03:31 AM
And they haven't even buried him yet. I read today that he wouldn't be buried until Sept now.

Peekaboo
08-25-2009, 07:45 AM
I read that he is going to be buried on his birthday. Aug. 29th i believe. I could be wrong about the day of his birthday though.

I just saw on Yahoo News that his death is being ruled a homicide.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090825/ap_en_ot/us_michael_jackson_investigation

sodascouts
08-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Oh my gosh!!!

You know, I went poster shopping yesterday at a campus sale, and they had all these posters of Michael Jackson that gave his birth and death dates. His death looks like it will be up there with the deaths of Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, John Lennon, and James Dean in terms of pop culture perpetuating its tragedy and keeping it the minds of the public.

Heck, even the Eagles did a song about the death of James Dean!

AmarilloByMorning
08-25-2009, 01:31 PM
(Sigh.)

Enter weeks of speculation. A trial is sure to ensue. Random passerby will want to get their toes in the door in case a giant windfall ruling pulls through and they have the opportunity to obtain the famed "money for nothing". They will comment through their attorneys. Nancy Grace will have banners below her in obnoxious colors flashing suppositions from random, uninvolved lawyers, who will reacquire their status as pompous spawns of Satan. I will consider Witness Protection. Jackson's legacy will resemble a formerly-beautiful green field after a traveling circus departs.

Soda, I was actually wondering whether he'd be pleased at being forever-Monroe'd or aggravated that his death eclipsed the music he created.

sodascouts
08-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Soda, I was actually wondering whether he'd be pleased at being forever-Monroe'd or aggravated that his death eclipsed the music he created.

It's interesting you should call it being Monroe'd - I think all of the people above are more identified with their work - or at least what they symbolized - than their death per se. Like Monroe and her smiling face as she stood over a vent pushing down her skirt, like Elvis swiveling those hips while he sang Hound Dog, like Lennon singing Imagine, like James Dean standing against a wall in jeans and a jacket exuding defiance... it is the moment in time Michael Jackson was at his peak that will remain fixed in everyone's minds when it comes to defining him. This is true regardless of his manner of death, no matter how tragic, if history is any indication.