PDA

View Full Version : Inquiries for Longtime Concertgoers...

AmarilloByMorning
07-04-2009, 12:32 PM
I did not arrive on the Eagles bandwagon until 2005 :blush: so here’s a few inquiries for those of you who have more concert miles than I do, if you don’t mind:

1. Multiple sites have purported the existence of a third “Tequila Sunrise” verse (“Think I’ll go to Mexico, down where the pace is nice and slow and there’s no one there I know; it’s another tequila sunrise, wonder if I’m growing wise or telling lies”). Did anyone actually heard this verse live, back in the day? Are the lyrics accurate to the best of your recollection?

2. My favorite bit of “New Kid in Town” (for reasons I will not even attempt to explain or articulate) are the two notes Henley hits right before the second chorus. But he does not include these on any live versions that I have heard, nor at any of the concerts I have (immensely) enjoyed. Has anyone ever heard him include this at a concert? Any theories on why he doesn’t? He seems bored, sometimes (an observation offered not as criticism, merely commentary). I’m not sure why I care.

3. My favorite Eagles song is “Saturday Night,” but I’ve only been around post-Meisner/Leadon. Do they ever include it in the live roster?

As a side note, I really, vehemently hope these guys do not stop touring anytime soon, particularly considering the crap my generation attempts to pass off as “music” on a regular basis...

Any input greatly appreciated!

EagleLady
07-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Amarillo, That Extra verse in Tequila Sunrise was only used during HFO. I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your other questions, sorry

Ive always been a dreamer
07-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Welcome, ABM. I can try to answer, but, obviously, I can only tell you what I've seen in the limited number of shows I've viewed and what I've heard. If anyone knows of anything different than what I post, please feel free to chime in and correct me.

Regarding Tequila Sunrise, there was a third verse and your lyrics seem like they are pretty accurate. As far as I know, the band only played this version through the mid-70's. I may be wrong, but I don't remember seeing any concert after the HFO reunion when they played that verse.

As far as Henley's oh - oh in NKIT, I personally don't recall hearing him sing them at all in recent years. I don't know if he sang the notes in the 70's or not, but as you probably know, he doesn't sing the line on the Eagles Live album. And as far as why he choses not to perform them, I have no idea about that either. I chalk it up to just another mysterious Eagles decision, but I agree it would be cool if he would sing the line.

And as far as I know, they have not played Saturday Night since the 1980 version that is on the Eagles Live album.

And I bet most of us here would agree with you that we hope the guys aren't planning on hanging it up anytime soon!

EagleLady
07-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Well, There is the HFO Version of Tequila Sunrise on my playlist and it includes that lyric.

07-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Cool EL - do you know what concert it came from?

EagleLady
07-04-2009, 01:58 PM
I don't really remember sorry

luvthelighthouse
07-04-2009, 02:15 PM
I did not arrive on the Eagles bandwagon until 2005 :blush: so here’s a few inquiries for those of you who have more concert miles than I do, if you don’t mind:

1. Multiple sites have purported the existence of a third “Tequila Sunrise” verse (“Think I’ll go to Mexico, down where the pace is nice and slow and there’s no one there I know; it’s another tequila sunrise, wonder if I’m growing wise or telling lies”). Did anyone actually heard this verse live, back in the day? Are the lyrics accurate to the best of your recollection?

Here's a video from 74 for those lyrics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujCRo8wRS7I

eaglesvet
07-04-2009, 02:27 PM
I think that 3rd verse (which I don't think I've ever heard before) adds a lot to the song...I wish they had kept it!

sodascouts
07-04-2009, 04:52 PM
EagleLady, as someone who collects live shows, I am very interested to know this Hell Freezes Over show you speak of where they played this verse. I have many shows from that tour and I have never heard of them doing such a thing after the mid-70s.

If you cannot recall the show information specifically, maybe it was possibly mislabeled as a Hell Freezes Over show when in actuality it was older. I have found many mislabeled live shows in my time as a collector.

EagleLady
07-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Well, I found it on Project Playlist, and it sure sounds like it was from HFO

AmarilloByMorning
07-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Lighthouse, you’re my hero! :p Validation at last...

Dreamer - “another mysterious Eagles decision” They seem to be replete with those...

You all have my gratitude!

Freypower
07-04-2009, 07:23 PM
I agree with the statements made regarding the 'Mexico' verse in Tequila Sunrise. It was only sung during the mid 70s.

I like Don's little 'ah ah' in New Kid In Town too but saying that is the best part of the song rather detracts from what I consider Glenn's finest ever vocal.

luvthelighthouse
07-04-2009, 10:07 PM
what I consider Glenn's finest ever vocal.

OMG, FP, I feel the same way. While NKIT is not my favorite song, every single time I hear the first line sung, I get a little chill and weird feeling in my stomach. I could never explain it to anyone... I mean, it's not my favorite, but I appreciate it so much for the fine vocals that actually physically move me. His voice is so so beautiful.

AzEaglesFan
07-05-2009, 04:26 AM
For some reason Best of My Love and New Kid in Town are my favorite "oldie" Eagle's songs. There are newer ones that I like but I keep going back to those two when I play their CDs.

AmarilloByMorning
07-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Lighthouse, you’re probably responding to genuine emotion. “Ahhhh, Sprinsteen is coming to dethrone us. Run for your lives!”

Not that this has any relevance whatsoever, but I wish long hair would return to prominence. Glenn really had fabulous hair.

07-05-2009, 12:44 PM
I also agree that Glenn's vocals in New Kid In Town are extraordinary. As much as I like Don's line that ABM mentioned, for me, nothing beats ...

"You look in her eyes, the music begins to play
hopeless romantics, here we go again.
But after a while you're lookin' the other way
it's those restless hearts that never mend."

Every single time I hear Glenn sing those lines, it moves me - my mind wanders to those incredible places.

GlennLover
07-05-2009, 11:51 PM
I feel the same way, Dreamer. I often go to those "incredible places" when I am listening to Glenn sing :blush:.

TimothyBFan
07-06-2009, 07:54 AM
I just want to add a little something here about NKIT--- for me anyways, it is one of those songs I tend to forget about for one reason or another. I really really like it but I seem to overlook it a lot. Then when it plays on the ipod or I hear it on the radio, I think to myself how great a song it is and how much I really really like Glenn's voice in it. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth!

Freypower
07-06-2009, 07:24 PM
I heard it yesterday. Now that it has been dropped, it really seems to have slipped out of many fans' consciousness. It remains my second favourite Eagles song of all time. This is not just bias. The whole construction of it with the organ and harmonies is brilliant. The Spanish feel of it is perfect after the title track.

My favourite part of it is 'I don't wanna hear it ah-oooh' which probably will surprise nobody.

AmarilloByMorning
07-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Freypower- “it has been dropped”? As in, from the set list? If so... whoa! Who authorized that?!

…and just for the record, I was merely expressing irritation regarding their current renditions of NKIT, not attempting to detract from the brilliance of the Frey vocal performance. One particular portion of a song receiving the “favorite” notation does not equate it receiving a concurrent accolade as “the best.”

sodascouts
07-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Freypower- “it has been dropped”? As in, from the set list? If so... whoa! Who authorized that?!

This is just speculation, but perhaps NKIT was a bit of a vocal strain to sing every night.

Freypower
07-07-2009, 08:12 PM

…and just for the record, I was merely expressing irritation regarding their current renditions of NKIT, not attempting to detract from the brilliance of the Frey vocal performance. One particular portion of a song receiving the “favorite” notation does not equate it receiving a concurrent accolade as “the best.”

They haven't played it since at least 2007 (possibly earlier). And the person who dropped it was Glenn Frey, who also dropped Tequila Sunrise and Already Gone, which he also sings.

Glennsallnighter
07-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Yeah! Pity so much of Glenn :heart: stuff has gone. I regret that I've only seen him do AG, TS, NKIT and YBTTC once. What I wouldn't give to see a Glenn :heart: solo concert some time. (soon??)

mopro
10-13-2013, 01:40 AM
Regarding the third verse to Tequila Sunrise: I can tell you that the song was performed with all verses (including "go to Mexico") by the Eagles at Holy Cross University on November 11, 1973. I have a recording of this show.

Someone has mistakenly reported that the verse was written and performed for HFO, which is not the case. I don't know why they dropped the verse for the Desperado album and subsequent performances prior to HFO.

Maybe it was to shorten the song. I'm an old recording engineer from the era of vinyl, and we had to be careful with the time-length of sides. The longer a side ran, the narrower you had to preset for the the grooves made by the cutterhead, resulting in less volume and low-end. It wasn't unusual to edit a few seconds out of songs to get the overall time of a side down.

sodascouts
10-13-2013, 09:05 AM
Thanks mopro, and welcome! Cool that you got to see them so early. I always wondered why they didn't include that verse of TS on the album. Your theory is one I hadn't considered before, but it makes sense.

secret squirrel
10-13-2013, 11:27 AM
This is just speculation, but perhaps NKIT was a bit of a vocal strain to sing every night.

Just got to say I love your avatar, Soda!

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/some-called-it-country-some-called-it.html

sad-cafe
10-13-2013, 07:50 PM
me too!

I just love that shirt.

thelastresort
01-07-2014, 06:36 PM
Might be worth adding, the third verse of TS also features in the Netherlands 1973 gig on my new best friend the Earlybirds DVD - the same one the How Long video was taken from (that they reference in the HOTE doc). It's quite a nice rendition actually: Don, Glenn and Bernie all on acoustic guitars (no mandolin or electric) and at some points it is just almost Glenn singing on his own too. I don't actually know what Randy does on it - you can't hear any bass whatsoever, so perhaps he was on acoustic too?

TakeMeToTheLimit
01-08-2014, 05:51 PM
Hi not been able to get on here for a while due to phone probs no change there lol hope you all had a great Christmas and new year ,sorry if this is posted in the wrong place
but could anyone tell me eagles' complete setlist for the June 75 Wembley midsummer madness festival? I know they did 15 songs and i know four of those were take it easy best of my love one of these nights and too many hands but could anyone tell me the other 11 please would really appreciate it :smile:

prayfordaylight
01-09-2014, 08:42 AM
Hi not been able to get on here for a while due to phone probs no change there lol hope you all had a great Christmas and new year ,sorry if this is posted in the wrong place
but could anyone tell me eagles' complete setlist for the June 75 Wembley midsummer madness festival? I know they did 15 songs and i know four of those were take it easy best of my love one of these nights and too many hands but could anyone tell me the other 11 please would really appreciate it :smile:

Setlist.fm doesn't have the setlist for that specific show but the link will show you other setlists from 1975 so imagine the Wembley one was similar: http://www.setlist.fm/search?query=eagles&year=1975&artist=6bd6bede

thelastresort
02-16-2014, 03:25 PM
One of my fave things about the Eagles is to see how they performed back in their zenith. It doesn't help that I was born 15 years after their initial split, and concert footage from the 70s is very difficult to come by, so here's a couple of questions I hope anyone can help me with ;):

- Except for Joe Vitale during the Long Run tour, did the guys ever have any other backing musicians during their first stint together?

- Glenn was a lot more divided between guitar and piano back then, but did Joe or Don F. ever put down their guitars to do any or was it just Glenn? (I know Joe used to do NKIT on electric piano.)

- On a slightly similar note, Don H. now spends a lot of his time down front instead of behind the drums - was BOML the only song he did this for back at their peak? (I know he now struggles with drumming slightly.)

Thanks as always guys :)

sodascouts
02-16-2014, 05:35 PM
Well, I have a poor memory, but...

- They had several musicians helping them out on The Long Run tour, not just Joe Vitale. In addition to special guests like JD Souther, these guys are also listed on Eagles Live (1980):
Phil Kenzie -- saxophone
Vince Melamed -- electric piano
Jage Jackson -- rhythm guitar, percussion
However, when I see bootlegs and photos from other tours before TLR, I don't see anyone else on stage. If there were extra guys, they were well hidden, and were never introduced.

- I don't think Felder ever put down his guitar, unless it was to sit at a steel guitar. I'm not sure about Joe. I know in the studio video of ICTYW, he's playing a keyboard, and he's credited as playing keyboard on the Hotel California album. However, I've never seen a photo of him doing that live with the Eagles back in the day, so it's hard to say.

- Don Henley came down for other songs, too, at least in earlier days. You see him coming down front in the 1973 bootlegs for an acoustic set where the guys all sat on stools. It included songs like "Saturday Night" and "Tequila Sunrise." See photo (http://www.donhenleyonline.com/images/eaglesGWA10.jpg).

Hope this helps! Anyone else please feel free to add to the above.

02-16-2014, 11:36 PM
Re: Don playing the drums in the 70's, I think they decided to bring Joe Vitale in for backup during The Long Run tour because of the back problems Don developed during the Hotel California tour.

Houston Debutante
02-18-2014, 12:22 PM
Don says even now his back hurts him, I feel so bad for him. I understand why he needs someone helping out.

Zanny Kingston
02-18-2014, 12:50 PM
I saw them early on in the LONG Run tour in 79 and Don was mainly playing the drums. I remember this well because when he did come up front to do a couple of songs my friend and I were surprised that they kept such a hot guy behind the drums! (of course we called him gorgeous back then!)
That's not to say that Glenn was not an impressive sight as well!

Although its been many years, I don't really remember Glenn introducing anyone other than the group who were the Eagles at the time.

Like I said though, I saw one of the first shows on the Long Run Tour so its possible that they added some folks as the tour progressed.