PDA

View Full Version : Glasgow, 4th July 2009

Troubadour
07-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Well, Carla (Stars) called, as promised, today. Unfortunately I was at my sister's place overnight and didn't have reception there, but I phoned her back a couple of hours ago and we had a long chat. It was so great to talk to her! She's so lovely and her enthusiasm was contagious. She just wanted me to let you know that she had a FANTASTIC time. She's still going to be in Scotland for the next 9 days, so she won't be able to do a review until she gets back to the States. She's missing The Border! As for the show... the guys were in their casual gear and looked amazing. It sounds like Don was wearing his Belfast outfit (hey, I'm not gonna complain!) and Glenn apparently had a black jacket on, which at one point he went to remove, then decided against it. Such a tease ;)

Apparently they were in great spirits, and Carla commented on how animated Don was, getting the audience to sing along during The Long Run, and wandering to each corner of the stage at the end, blowing kisses and waving. She said the crowd was so into it and the weather was perfect. She wore her Rolling Stone t-shirt (yep, the one with sexy half-naked Eagles on it!) and apparently got chatting to some guy who was sat behind her, wearing the exact same t-shirt. He was Scottish but living in Florida, and had come back for the show! Cool, huh?

The only 'downside' to the night was that the show was shorter, therefore a few songs were cut out. Notably, Somebody, Waiting In The Weeds, and Long Road Out Of Eden. The reason was that there was a 10pm curfew at the venue, and also that Paul Carrack was supporting them, so he took the stage from 7 'til 8pm. Carla was thrilled by this because she used to be a fan and saw him perform years ago - it was a total surprise. So that kind of made up for the shorter show.

That's about all I can remember from the phonecall, but I'm sure Carla will fill you in when she gets home! Just rest assured that the guys were on top form, the weather was perfect, and the audience lapped it up. Oh, and she may have mentioned how incredible the jeans look once or twice... :nod:

Troubadour
07-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Oh... and Don had stubble. (Worth an extra post, was it not?) ;)

Also, this may have been obvious by the shorter set list, but there was no break last night.

EagleLady
07-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Oh Yes Lou I love The Stubble on Don

sodascouts
07-06-2009, 12:43 AM
I too love Don with stubble. I wonder if the guys mentioned anything about it being Independence Day? Probably not. After all, America won its independence by fighting a war with the Brits. ;)

Sounds like a great show!

Koala
07-06-2009, 02:50 AM
Here a short review:

Eagles, Hampden Park, Glasgow (http://www.theherald.co.uk/search/display.var.2518301.0.eagles_hampden_park_glasgow. php)

another review:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/live-music-reviews/5756004/The-Eagles-at-Hampden-Park-Glasgow-review.html

luvthelighthouse
07-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Okay, so he didn't really think they connected w/each other and obviously didn't like the show.

The thing that stuck out to me though is, this it the second review from this leg that I recall saying they can't hear Timothy's bass. Hmmm?????? I wonder what's up w/that?

Outlaw
07-06-2009, 10:19 AM
The setlist was as follows:

How Long / Hear Any More / Limit / Guilty / HC / Peaceful / Can't Tell you / Witchy / Lyin' / These Nights / Walk Away / Summer / City / Long Run / Band intros / LBG / Laundry / Funk / Heartache // Fast Lane / Rocky / Desperado

After a horrendous 4 and a half hour bus journey to Glasgow we were running a little late but luckily we made it into the stadium just in time to see Paul Carrack. I've been a fan of his for a few years now and he can always be relied upon to put on a great show. Saturday was no exception and he kept me thoroughly entertained for the duration of his set.

About 8pm the Eagles sauntered on and went straight into How Long. The harmonies were perfect, Joe and Steuart were superb and Glen and Don were smiling throughout. At this point it became obvious that the show was going to be something special. Glen then said hello to everybody and something like "we are the ancient ones. The band that would not die."

A perfect rendition of I Don't Want To Hear Any More was up next followed by as curveball this early on in the shape of Take It To The Limit. I was sat fairly near the front and hearing the entire crowd behind me behind me singing along with the chorus made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Guilty Of The Crime was up next and it got a fairly muted response from the folk sat around me, it was as if many of them didn't really know it which I found quite surprising.

Next came the familiar trumpet intro and then THAT guitar line. There's nothing left to say about Hotel California that hasn't already been said. Don was in fine tune throughout and Joe and Steuart shone once again as they ripped into the solo and left 50,000 people amazed at how easy they made it look.

It should be noted at this point that the sound quality was outstanding throughout the show. I've been to a few concerts at Hampden and it can be very hit or miss but everything was crystal clear this time. Even when all the backing musicians were on stage the sound never became muddy and the levels were mixed perfectly. I've read of a few complaints from people sat in the upper tier but no problems from where we were sat.

Peaceful Easy Feeling was next, followed by I Can't Tell You Why. Timothy was outstanding here as usual and there was real passion in his voice throughout. He was rock solid the whole night with both his vocals and his playing but I do find it slightly disappointing that he appears content to stay in the background for so much of the show. A little playing to the crowd wouldn’t go amiss but I’m just nitpicking now.

Next was a 1-2-3 of Witchy Woman, Lyin' Eyes and One Of These Nights and this is where the crowd really started to loosen up. Plenty of people dancing here and much amusement was had watching a women respond to the security guard trying to stop her dancing in the aisle by attempting to stick her tongue down his throat. Around this point security appeared to realise they were fighting a losing battle and allowed the crowd to stand up and dance in the aisles. Please excuse the language but a slight downer was put on the night at this point when one dick tried to stop my girlfriend taking a picture of the band on her phone and then tried to take the phone off her when she continued. Probably wasn’t smart of her to blatantly carry on but she was doing nothing wrong, there’s no way her phone could be considered a professional piece of equipment.

At this point I noticed a couple of American flags being waved (one right in front of the stage) and also a saltire later on. After reading about what happened last time somebody did this I couldn’t help but feel sorry for the person that was about to be humiliated but no, nothing was said and the fan was allowed to carry on waving their flag throughout.

Walk Away was next and they seemed to lose the crowd again a little here but everybody was soon standing again for Boys Of Summer. This song is always a joy to watch as Don always gies it laldy and this show as no exception, he really did put everything into his performance.

A special mention has to go to Joe's solo during In The City. Relying heavily on his wah pedal he delivered perhaps the finest piece of guitar work all night. On a slightly related note his slide playing all night was exemplary and deserves special mention, I have seen many slide guitar players but there are few who can play the same way that Joe can, the man is in a class of his own.

Don then took centre stage for The Long Run and I have to agree with Carla’s comments about him during this song. Without a guitar and the subsequent need to stay near a microphone stand he was free to play to the crowd a little and really came alive for this number. Joe was also noteworthy for his clowning around in between singing lines at Timothy’s microphone.

After this the backing musicians and band were introduced. The last announcement was of course Joe and he received the loudest and longest cheer of the night, the fans love him and on the strength of this performance it’s not difficult to see why. At this point I should say that the entire band was superb and did their jobs beautifully. Nobody was too overpowering, they all added subtle arrangements that greatly enhanced the song being played.

After the intros Joe emerged wearing the helmet cam, but mounted on what I think was a baseball cap this time meaning it was silly time! Cue Life’s Been Good. More amazing fretwork from Joe and highly amusing as well but, ore importantly, it’s a great song at the theatrics enhance it rather than cover up deficiencies. Everybody on stage also appeared to crack a smile when the crowd roared “he’s cool.” It’s nice to see Joe just let loose during songs like this when he does more than the rest of the guys put together to dispel the myth that the Eagles are a boring band.

Another 1-2-3 to take us to the end of the main performance and all three songs were stunning. The whole crowd was dancing, security had finally given up trying to seat people and the whole place had a party atmosphere. Glen deserves a mention for Heartache, this was the song where he gave it his all, put his heart into the song and took the crowd along for the ride. It was nothing short of spellbinding.

After a brief break they were back to begin the encore with Take It Easy. I’ve never really been a fan of this song but they had the crowd up again as soon as they played the opening chords and they stayed up for the next 2 songs. While the harmonies were flawless throughout the show they were beautiful during this one. I thought long and hard about using that word but on reflection “beautiful” is the only word that does these 4 men justice.

Rocky Mountain Way was up next and I’m sure they turned Joe up during his solo here. The sound of the talkbox echoed round and round the stadium until it became a symphony of noise (but in a good way) and the resulting effect was amazing.

Time for Don to take centre stage again and we all knew what was coming. He sang Desperado perfectly while every word was sung back at him by 50 something thousand voices. I could be wrong but I think even the band looked a little surprised at the reaction from the crowd.

Show over and after spending a few minutes waving at the crowd they all disappeared leaving a stadium full of very happy punters to make their way into the night. I found the ticket prices to be very steep for my meagre student budget so I believe it’s a good endorsement of the show to say it was money well spent and I’m already counting down the days until they (hopefully) tour again. Roll on Farewell 2!

Pics to follow when I have a chance to upload them...

Outlaw
07-06-2009, 10:38 AM
If Walsh was the life, soul and rock and roll of the party, he faced an uphill battle to get the rest of the band on his side. Frey was charming but quick to switch off and drift into the background. Schmidt’s bass was inaudible, and Henley seemed humourlessly detached.

I feel I have to respond here, I'm not sure whether the reviewer was watching a different show to me, or I'd somehow managed to get so drunk I lost a grasp of reality after 4 or 5 pints or it's become cool to criticize the Eagles. If anybody has a different explaination I'd love to hear it...

I'm not quite sure if the reviewer was expecting Frey + his backing band but his comment was totally unfair. The Eagles are a group and, as such, of course he wasn't the centre of attention for the whole show. He had his moments as the other three also did.

The same riposte goes for the criticism of Don. He had his moments as did the other guys, there's nothing wrong with taking a back seat when the rest of your band is as talented as messers Frey, Timothy and Joe.

sodascouts
07-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the detailed review Outlaw - glad you had a great time in spite of the "phone incident." I'm also relieved to hear that Don didn't chastise folks for waving flags on America's Independence Day, July 4!

Outlaw
07-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Finished work sooner than anticipated so have some photos. If they're too big please let me know and I'll resize them...

http://i42.tinypic.com/opwkmh.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/2enn9yc.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/nwef45.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/350o5c5.jpg

scottishlass
07-06-2009, 12:17 PM
ok well as for newpaper people, i would notlisten to them. most of them talk rubbish and well this one did. if he can not see that the band and the crowd were having a great time, then he must of been drunk.
they really need to send someone who knows about muysic cause this guy didnt.

it was a brilliant show band great as usual as was the crowd. these newspapers should be banned from concerts. that newspaper that was printed in well what can i say, i dont read it cause most of the stuff in it is rubbish.
the concert was great as was band and crowd all had a great time. read the fan reviwes not the stupid newspapers. fans reviews show the real thing. great concert cant wait to see them back again in scotland

Outlaw
07-06-2009, 12:31 PM
if he can not see that the band and the crowd were having a great time, then he must of been drunk.

Nah, that cannae be it. I was half-cut and I enjoyed it. :p

Ive always been a dreamer
07-06-2009, 01:12 PM
First of all, troub and Carla, thanks to both of you for that update. In spite of what these lame reviewers say, it's great to hear that the fans love and enjoyed the show. After all, that's all that really counts, isn't it! Outlaw, we appreciate your wonderful review and pictures, too. That was a very entertaining writeup. :applause:

TimothyBFan
07-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Outlaw---A fantastic review and I do believe you and scottishlass are going to fit in real nicely around here.:thumbsup:

scottishlass
07-06-2009, 01:52 PM
ok well if it wasnt drink must of been drugs, or maybe he was hard of sight. either way the guy is an idiot and needs to be fired from his job.
im sure other 40 odd thousand disagreed with him. you cant please everyone end of day main, thing is that fans and group enjoyed themself, who cares what some reporter rights.

eagles like there scottish fans and enjoy playing scotland, on there tours as tim and don have both said. and scotland loves them, reporters well there idiots.

would like to know who that was, flashing there boobs, she was in the 4th row at the end on the middle row. ok own up who was flashing come on tell me who it was. you were half cut was it you lol think it was around time joe had his cam hat on.

Remy
07-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Here a short review:

Eagles, Hampden Park, Glasgow (http://www.theherald.co.uk/search/display.var.2518301.0.eagles_hampden_park_glasgow. php)

another review:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/live-music-reviews/5756004/The-Eagles-at-Hampden-Park-Glasgow-review.html

The Eagles at Hampden Park, Glasgow, review
Joe Walsh was the star of the show at a grimly professional appearance by The Eagles in Glasgow.

If the Eagles displayed wry self-knowledge and gentle humour when they named a 1990s reunion tour Hell Freezes Over in honour of the savage enmity that tore the band apart, they showed little of it when they opened this show.
The warm night air seemed to cool as it reached the stage, and the tone was grimly professional. The Eagles assembled for this tour – Glenn Frey, Don Henley and mid-Seventies joiners Joe Walsh and Timothy B Schmidt – seemed to change guitar between every song just so that they didn’t have to look at or talk to each other. “We’re the band that wouldn’t die,” joked Frey. “We’re from when the Dead Sea was just sick.”
Though the audience chuckled, the men on stage fiddled glumly with leads and instruments, while Henley tapped out a niggling cabaret boom-boom-tish on his drums to mark the punchlines.
Song after song from 2007’s anodyne Long Road Out of Eden trundled on by: safe, staid and lifeless. Though a cosmetically perfect Hotel California gave the crowd a visceral nostalgic thrill, its appearance in the first half hour of the set gave it the air of a chore to be dispensed with quickly.
That talismanic song, though, marked an important moment in the gig: it was when Joe Walsh woke up.
The guitarist had made his name with the James Gang before joining the Eagles, and, with Hotel California’s highly structured solos, he began to come of life.
When Walsh took his slide guitar to In the City, he soloed with energy and poise, locking into a hypnotically simple syncopated bass line, while giving the brass section the room to riff. Soon a groove had developed and suddenly where there had been only finely tuned sound, there was music.
Two songs later he tore up the stage to Life’s Been Good, injecting vitality and unhinged good humour into its nostalgic reggae satire. He was soon revelling in the reckless boogie-woogie of the James Gang’s Funk #49, trading blues licks with Frey and pulling fun and funk out of a suddenly vitalised set of musicians. Tellingly, all three songs were Walsh tracks later co-opted by the Eagles.
If Walsh was the life, soul and rock and roll of the party, he faced an uphill battle to get the rest of the band on his side. Frey was charming but quick to switch off and drift into the background. Schmidt’s bass was inaudible, and Henley seemed humourlessly detached.
The big set pieces – Hotel California, Life in the Fast Lane, Take It Easy – were technically flawless but lacked the fire that Walsh can still bring to his tunes 35 years on. In bringing his own music so savagely to life, he only underlined what the Eagles were no longer able to do with theirs.

This type of review is just Media Critics licking their wounds after Don abuses them with 'Dirty Laundry'.

The Eagles are perfectionists, masters and experts in their field.....they are undoubtedly the best live act in the world.....that good in fact that the critics call their performance 'too polished'....you can't win can you?

They are still filling stadiums all over the world and LROOE went seven times platinum in the USA alone....Triple Platinum in Australia and NZ....Double Platinum in Britain, Denmark, Norway and Thailand..........so they must be doing something right.:thumbsup:

Like I say.....'Dirty Laundry'

Remy

scottishlass
07-06-2009, 02:59 PM
yeap some reviewers just cant help themself. don gets them with dirty laundry and im guessing the telegraph reporter was one not a fan and 2 proberly sulked over the DL song lol.

no one listens to reporters and well who actually reads t he telegraph, maybe he was on a deadline cause he was such a crap reporter, so he made something up, beore he was sacked.

he was the only person in the staduim who thought this, reporters should be banned.

Outlaw
07-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Sadly it seems that the Eagles are not the only ones to suffer from this form of biased journalism. One example that springs to mind is a review I came across of Tom Waits' Edinburgh show last year that was not only unfair in its criticism but told some outright lies. Myself (and everybody else that was there) would surely describe this show as the gig of a lifetime so one can't help but wonder if the reviewer was huffing glue before the show.

It was only once you reached the last paragraph the reviewer mentioned that Tom rarely does interviews and that particular paper had a request to speak to him turnned down a few months previously. Go figure...

Unfortunately I can't remember which paper it was but it made for some interesting reading. I'll post the link here if I can find it.

Brooke
07-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Troub, thanks so much for passing along Stars' thoughts on the show! I'm glad she was able to talk with you about it. Sounds like a wonderful evening.

Outlaw, welcome to The Border and thanks for your review and pics! Sounds like the Boys were in top form and you had a great evening, except for the cell phone incident!

adickson5
07-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Hey all!

New to the boards here..and the eagles! after watching the farwell tour 1 dvd i was sold! i had to be at the Glasgow gig! And what a gig it was! Absolutely fantastic! Thanks fror the review and the set list! And FYI reporter from the telegraph, I was at the very back...way up in the nose bleed section and i could hear Timmys Bass just fine! :P
The guy must have taken Dirty Laundry to heart!

Was such a great night!

ps seeing as how i'm new to eagles music...what actually happened with henley and the American flag?

thanks!

ali

Freypower
07-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Hi adickson5 and welcome.

There was a show in Ireland (I think) several years ago when the band were still playing Hole In The World (which Henley sang and introduced).Someone waved an American flag at them and Henley asked them to put it down, plus launched into a diatribe about the amount of damage America had done in the world.

That was a dreadful review but it is pretty much what I would expect from the British press. The stuff about them not wanting to talk to each other - perhaps the reviewer would prefer to watch the sound check. As for the 'cabaret boom-tish' on the drums, that is grossly unfair. Glenn doesn't 'drift into the background'. As the band leader he does the big plays and then 'hands off' to the others (his words).

Fan_For_Life
07-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the review Outlaw and adickson, nice to meet you. Of course all this talk and not having a show to look forward to myself, at least for now, I really like hearing from the fans the band is in good form.

sodascouts
07-06-2009, 11:37 PM
I love reading the comments of true fans. The press has never been kind to the Eagles, especially the British press.

And welcome, adickson!

Dutchman
07-07-2009, 12:39 AM
Not really bothered what journo's have to say.....

Being an Eagles fan since they started I knew we were in the presence of greatness before they played a note.....

Of course it was slick & professional....that's what they do.....but it was also a warm & friendly entertainment.....worth every penny....

Hope to see them again some time....

Remember: Old Eagles never die....
.........................................they just loose their chicks!:rockguitar:

Dutch

Outlaw
07-07-2009, 02:52 AM
Thank you everybody for your kind words about my review, I hope it did the band justice.

ps seeing as how i'm new to eagles music...what actually happened with henley and the American flag?

This is where I read about it: https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=72772&postcount=18

TimothyBFan
07-07-2009, 07:14 AM
Welcome adickson5 and Dutchman! Always great to have new and veteran fans join us here. Glad to hear you both enjoyed the show.

As far as "professional" reviews, I've gotten to the point where I pretty much just scan the review anymore rather than actually read them. If I read them, I literally feel the blood pressure rise. The ones I read are from our members right here. Much more accurate and friendly.

Prettymaid
07-07-2009, 08:07 AM
While the harmonies were flawless throughout the show they were beautiful during this one. I thought long and hard about using that word but on reflection “beautiful” is the only word that does these 4 men justice

OL, this comment struck me very emotionally. Not many men are willing to use the word 'beautiful', and after reading your explanation of thinking about it before you used it, it made the word even more special. Thank you for your review and your pictures.

I'm so happy that all of you who went to this show enjoyed it. Face it, The Eagles are not the most animated band on stage, but we fans who have enjoyed their music for years appreciate them for what they are - valid creative statesmen (Joe's term, not mine!).

Troub, thanks for sending Stars' message along to us. I'm glad you two had a chance to chat and I am anxious to see Stars back on the Border!

cynd1231
07-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Having now read The Telegraph review, I can only wonder why the British press doesn't adhere to UNBIASED reporting? This guy obviously believes he has the right to critique and shove his own opinion on everyone else. It's reporters like him who bolster and promote YELLOW JOURNALISM and he has no business being in the industry.

(The way I see it, if he can put his opinion of the show out there for everyone to read, I have just as much right to put my opinion of HIM out there as well.)

scottishlass
07-07-2009, 12:53 PM
i wouldnt put any stock in what newspapers,these reporters have no sense in music or a great band and concert.

he should just stick to writting about the stock exchange and who jordon humped today. or even better sack him cause, he clearly doesnt know a great band or concert. eagles were brilliant and in great spirit as always

Glennsallnighter
07-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Remember: Old Eagles never die....
.........................................they just loose their chicks!:rockguitar:

Dutch

These ones wouldn't even........

Welcome to the Border Dutch!

luvthelighthouse
07-08-2009, 12:31 AM
I think you guys will like this... it's a fans review and some videos.

I only watched TIE so far... but I like what I see. Jeans!!!

http://www.totonetwork.com/node/18728181

Outlaw
07-08-2009, 02:22 AM
OL, this comment struck me very emotionally. Not many men are willing to use the word 'beautiful', and after reading your explanation of thinking about it before you used it, it made the word even more special. Thank you for your review and your pictures.

I must confess, it's only very very rarely that I use this word but no other word would do the guys justice. I recall spending this entire song with my eyes closed just listening to them and as an added bonus I'm finally beginning to like the album version a little more.

Fan_For_Life
07-08-2009, 06:54 AM
Just as you used the term beautiful, when I see or hear them I always see a rainbow. I rarely use the term to describe the Eagles because it seems corny and not easily explainable for others to understand the meaning. Anyway, just thought I'd share that.

anne-o-gg
07-08-2009, 09:45 AM
The Eagles assembled for this tour – Glenn Frey, Don Henley and mid-Seventies joiners Joe Walsh and Timothy B Schmidt – seemed to change guitar between every song just so that they didn’t have to look at or talk to each other.

Possibly someone needs to explain to this guy that there is an actual "reason" they change guitars...[yelling]*for different sounds*:brickwall: - the sounds we remember from the beginning...

music these days is hardly music at all (IMO) they just push a button for different sounds on a key board (my point is that they "fake" the sounds - our guys deliver the real thing!) AND, despite this reviewers opinion, the STILL DO IT QUITE WELL!!

scottishlass
07-08-2009, 09:53 AM
that was a great review and great pics and vids.

not sure how he gets from that video that, they might not be back lol. just looks like what they do at every concert.

everyone has to take it they wont, be back to there country until they mention new tour. im hopig a fw part 2 tour, we know that scotland ireland and england and germany are guareneed a gig or 2 in these countrys. thank god, looking forward tothem coming back

Glennsallnighter
07-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Thats the best news I've heard all day! I HOPE Ireland is guaranteed 'a gig or two'.

scottishlass
07-08-2009, 05:09 PM
i dont know how long eagles been playing irealand, but i know england and scotland since 70's. and they been here every tour. so i thinkits a safe bet that scotland ireland and england will get few concerts eveytime thy tour. im just glad that eagles likethese 3 places why they come bck every time they must like us

so lets hope they come bck in nxt few years again

Glennsallnighter
07-08-2009, 05:43 PM
They've certainly played Ireland since 2000/2001. However remember Glenn :heart: recorded his LID video and cd here in Dublin in 1992 so obviously he had some motivation to do that here. I think they seem to like Ireland. Lets hope they do. I WANT MORE EAGLES!!!

Prettymaid
07-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Of course they like Ireland Lisa - you're there! ;)

Freypower
07-08-2009, 11:38 PM
Yes, but they have to come back to Asia and the Pacific Rim first. :partytime:

scottishlass
07-09-2009, 05:21 AM
well they come back evey tour to scotland england and ireland. so im guessing they do like us or they wouldnt come back every tour. so im guessing they do like these 3 places why they come back every time. and im glad also cause i want more eagles to.

Stars
07-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Back from Scotland, and what a wonderful trip, with the Eagles concert certainly being a huge highlight!
A GREAT BIG thanks to Lou for her wonderful report on the Glasgow show after our phone conversation. Lou, it was fantastic to speak with you, and I'm so glad we had a chance to share our concert experiences! I was so excited to hear about your time at the Birmingham concert, and to know it was so special. Glad to hear that your mum enjoyed it too!:thumbsup:
As for Glasgow, it was an out of the world experience for me. I went by myself, as hubby said he had had enough, after seeing them in Washington, DC in November. So he dropped me off at Hampden Park, which was absolutely HUGE. I have never been to such an immense venue for a concert!
I had heard that there was an opening act, but had no idea who it was. Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be Paul Carrack, who is a great favorite of mine. The last time I saw him was in 1989, when he was with Mike and the Mechanics! I have always loved his voice, and I recognized so many of the songs he sang. It was such a treat and a great surprise for me to see him again.
When the Eagles came on, I was out of my mind with excitement to see them in their jeans! Glenn had on a Notre Dame sweatshirt under a black jacket, and I kept wondering if Notre Dame had some significance for him. They all seemed very happy, at ease, and there were lots of smiles and laughs. I think they just loved the Glasgow crowd, and the crowd obviously loved them. From where I was sitting, I could see people dancing in the aisles, and one lad took off his shirt and danced with everyone around him! :hilarious: Of course the security weren't too happy, and were constantly going up and down the aisle asking people to sit down. I was sitting all the way over on the left hand side, past the stage, so I mainly watched the screen. I saw lots of people near me taking pics off the screen with their phones, so I took out my camera and began trying to take pics. As soon as I did, I was accosted by security, telling me no videos were allowed! I told him I was taking still pictures, and I continued to take a few. Next time my son is home, I will ask him to help me put them on, as some came out pretty well.
I was sitting near someone who was wearing the same shirt as I was-the Rolling stone one with our guys sitting around barechested, from 1979! I was so surprised to see someone with the same shirt, I went up and told him I liked his shirt, and when he saw mine, he gave me a big hug!:hilarious: He told me he had been visiting Florida, and found it in a Walmart. He couldn't resist buying it!
I have to stop now, as I told hubby I would visit him at lunch time. More later!

Prettymaid
07-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Welcome back Stars! So exciting to hear about your concert!

I'm sure TBF will have something to say about the Notre Dame shirt!

TimothyBFan
07-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Welcome back Stars!!!!! So happy to hear about the concert. Can't wait to hear more and about the whole trip.

PM --ya know me pretty good don't ya? Not the first time Mr Frey has sported a Notre Dame shirt....

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/eaglesmusiclife01.jpg

sodascouts
07-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Ah, Glenn rockin' the Notre Dame shirt and jeans once more! He does wear 'em well.

Stars, thanks for posting Part 1. I eagerly await Part 2!

GlennLover
07-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Me too :blueblob:!

Koala
07-16-2009, 12:30 AM
Stars, thank you for telling us your concert impressions, can´t wait to hear more!

Stars
07-16-2009, 08:22 AM
First off, thank you to PM and TBF for the warm welcome back! As Lou mentioned, I sure missed the Border while we were away. I so wanted to report my thoughts to all of you right after the concert, but I didn't have computer access. Lou did a fabulous job relaying my experiences to you!
TBF, thanks for posting the pic of Glenn in his Notre Dame shirt! The one he wore in Glasgow was a different one. He did start to take his jacket off at one time, but then thought better of it and put it back on!:) I think the one he was wearing was a long sleeved sweatshirt.
Soda, GL and Koala, you are most welcome for your thanks to me for posting part one.
Here goes part two!
I wish I had taken notes, but I was a bit anxious to find my hubby after the show, so I left right after it ended. However, I do have some memories that I am sure will be with me forever!:thumbsup:
One of the great highlights for me was "The Long Run". I remember right before it started, Don mentioned that it was the band's "theme song", and he would appreciate it if everyone sang along! I didn't remember him saying this at any of the concerts I attended back in November, and it was wonderful to hear the crowd singing along with this fantastic song. Don was having a ball singing it, and you could tell he appreciated the Glasgow crowd's reaction!
At the beginning of the concert, I remember Glenn saying how happy he was to be in Glasgow, and that the band had been around since the "Dead Sea was young"-:hilarious: I never remember hearing him say that, and the audience got a good laugh out of it, including me!
Lou mentioned how during the Birmingham show, Joe tore through a box of tissues, scattering them all over the stage. He did the same thing in Glasgow! He is quite the rascal, and seemed to be really enjoying himself!
As for Tim, he was in great voice, and seemed very relaxed. Of course, like the others, he looked great in his jeans! I looked back at the Dublin pics, and Don was wearing the same outfit in Glasgow!
"Lyin' Eyes" was a great highlight of the show, not only for me, but for the entire crowd. Everyone seemed to be singing along, and they really seemed to get into the show even more at this point.
Our show was shortened, since there was a curfew in Glasgow. The guys had to cut the acoustic set, and also "Somebody". I was sorry to miss "Somebody" and "Waiting in the Weeds", as those were two songs I had really enjoyed hearing live. However, I wasn't too disappointed, as the guys gave their all, and it was truly a fantastic show, and a very memorable experience, being in Glasgow amid all those rabid fans!:thumbsup:
After the show ended, the guys went to all sides of the stage, waving and blowing kisses. They seemed to stay for a long time. I was watching all of this on the screen, as I was way off to the left of the stage, and had trouble seeing them actually on stage. However, there was an extension to the stage over where I was, and Don actually walked over to the extension, and waved and blew kisses to our little group! I was so stunned when he did this, that I just stood where I was, waving madly! Had I been able to move, I would have run up to the railing and tried to get some pictures. I was quite touched that he would take the time to walk all the way over to where we were, as it was a distance from the actual stage, and wasn't used during the concert.
After the show ended, it took me a while to actually get out of the arena-as I said, it was IMMENSE!! It seemed that everyone was walking the opposite direction to me, and it took a long time to actually find the meeting place and link up with Mike. He told me had been waiting in a supermarket parking lot, several blocks away, and could hear the concert very clearly. He heard "Take it Easy", missed "Rocky Mountain Way", as he went inside the store!:hilarious: He came out in time to catch "Desperado", and he told me he knew that was his clue to hightail it over to the arena. He did remember that was the last song in DC, and it was also, of course, the end to the concert in Glasgow. I do remember Don put on a hooded sweatshirt at the end, when he sang "Desperado". I wish I had gotten a picture of that, but hopefully it will show up somewhere. As I said, I will ask my son to help put my pictures on when he comes home to visit. I didn't take a lot, but some did turn out quite well.
To sum things up, I had a fabulous time, and wouldn't have missed it for the world! Our guys are certainly worth traveling three thousand miles to see!!:thumbsup:

Stars
07-16-2009, 08:26 AM
I forgot to mention Don's stubbly look, although I did tell Lou about it, and she posted about it! I only noticed it cause I watched the screen, and it's a look I love!:inlove:

Koala
07-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Thanks for Part two! :)

Brooke
07-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Thanks Stars! Sounds like you had a wonderful time and the guys were in great form. Sorry they had to cut some songs. Bummer!

Can't wait to see the pic and welcome back!

TimothyBFan
07-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Stars --sounds like quite the experience for you. Not many of us can say that we have seen the Eagles outside of our native country (a few exceptions here I know). Thanks so much for letting us share it with you.

sodascouts
07-16-2009, 06:15 PM
How terrific that Don came over to where you were and waved! Sounds like the guys were in top form. A night to remember!

Prettymaid
07-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Stars, we've missed you on the board and are so glad you're home and had a great trip! Your concert sounds terrific. What's up with Joe and the kleenex? Was he pretending to cry?

Stars
07-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Koala, you are very welcome for part two-can't wait to hear all about your concert experience!!
You are very welcome, Brooke, and thanks for the warm welcome back! I was sorry they had to cut some songs, too, but it was such a fantastic concert, I really can't be too upset about it-and of course they looked so great!! My son should be visiting next week sometime, so I'll make sure to have him help me get some pics up. They are from the screen, but still seemed to turn out ok.
You are very welcome, TBF. I loved sharing it with all of you-I am so glad I was able to speak with Lou so soon after the concert, so I didn't forget anything!
I feel so lucky to have been able to see them in another country, and see how much the fans there love them too.
Soda, I can't seem to stop thinking about Don coming by our section and waving. It was a distance for him to come, and I was quite shocked to see him there. I just wish I had been able to move over to the rail and get a quick pic! And yes, the guys were in top form, and it was definitely a night to remember!
PM, I have missed all of you on the board too-it is great to be back! Actually, Joe wasn't pretending to cry. He had a very intense look on his face, and he just was madly grabbing tissues from the box and throwing them all over the stage. I was laughing at his antics, as I thought it was a typical Joe thing to do!:hilarious: He always brings a smile to my face. I remember when I saw the Eagles in Hershey, back in November, there was a young couple standing next to me, just screaming for Joe. I joined in, and they seemed to appreciate my enthusiasm!:)

Glennsallnighter
07-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Carla, sounds like you had a wonderful night. Hopefully there will be many more to come and you will indeed see 'SomeBody' and 'WITW' love some night. Your hubby sounds a gem! They all are, having to put up with all of us and our Eagle love. Can't wait to see the pictures!!.

DonFan
07-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Great review, Stars! I'm so glad you & Lou had such a terrific time!

Peekaboo
07-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Loved the review, Carla.:thumbsup: It's so great that you got to see the guys in another country. Although I'm incredibly happy for you, I have to admit to being a little :jealous: of you for getting to see the guys in their casual wear. You lucky girl!!! I would LOVE to see them in jeans.

It's great to have you back safe and sound. Can't wait to see the pics.

eaglesvet
07-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Stars, I was listening to the Eagles--Their Greatest Hits CD in the car tonight, and I got very nostalgic...and :jealous: that you had the great fortune to see them in their very HSG jeans and casual shirts! You lucky girl! I'm so sure it was a treat to see that whole concert in a whole new light!! :nod: I can't wait to see the pix!

07-19-2009, 12:33 AM
Carla, I'm playing catch-up here on the board, so first of all, a belated welcome back. We've missed you, but I'm so glad you had such a wonderful trip. I am also very :jealous:. I have actually never been to Europe, so one of my hopes is to plan an extended trip over there the next time the guys tour. After reading your awesome review, you have inspired me to try even harder to make it happen.

scottishlass
07-19-2009, 08:23 AM
yeah it was they started thanking fans in centre areas blowing kisses and waving, then they moved over to each end of the staduim, they covered all areas. tim and joe started of at corner while glenn and don were in the centre then swapped places lol. the covered left right and centre stage.

it was a great night band and crowd all ontop form, everyone had a great time band and crowd. took 2 or 3 songs for crowd to all get up but after 2 or 3 songs they were all up dancing. people who sit are ok i seen some sitting down and dancing in there seats, i thought why dont u just get up lol. just cause people sit dnt mean there not enjoying themselfs. some like to stand some like to sit. at hampden most of the fanswanted to stand and dance, you have to dance. lol

Stars
07-21-2009, 08:58 AM
GA, I did have a wonderful night, in spite of not getting to hear Somebody and WITW! I did hear them both during the US concerts, and I hope sometime to hear them live again-they are fantastic live, aren't they?
Yes, hubby is a gem to put up with all the Eagles stuff-I think many of us have hubbies that are good hearted about it-we are blessed!
Thanks, DF -glad you enjoyed the review! It was fantastic to talk with Lou and share our concert experiences!:thumbsup:
Peek, I do hope that one day you get to see the guys in their jeans-it was an out of this world experience for me! When they walked out wearing their informal attire, I nearly fell out of my seat!:inlove:
EV, it was such a treat to see them in a "new light", and I actually got a chance to see them in daylight, as it never got dark!:-)
Dreamer, many thanks for the warm welcome back! I do hope that someday you get over to Europe, as you will love seeing all the sights there, and if you combine your trip with an Eagles concert, it will be extra special!:yay:

StephUK
07-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Hi,

What can I say about the Glasgow show that hasn't already been said; of course, the Eagles did a shorter set as Paul Carrack opened the show. So no WITW which meant I didn't get to hear Will playing the piano(shame).
Anyway, the ILAA pre-show party was good. Met some nice people & the food was very nice. I won an Eagles bag in the raffle.

Our seats were 3rd row(again) and just right of centre(Will's side, again - thanks Helen!) Weather was mainly good, even though it looked as though it might rain....it didn't.

The Eagles were on good form - and looking very good in their jeans etc.

After the show we saw Steuart, Scott & Mike Thompson having a drink in the hotel bar. Had a few words with Scott - he was pleasant. He said they were getting tired & places were all starting to look a bit the same, but that they always love playing over here.
Unfortunately, Will Hollis wasn't there(poor Will has seemed a bit 'under the weather' at the last 2 shows).

Here is a link to my photos from the glasgow show. Hope you enjoy them.

http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Eagles%20Glasgow%204%20July%202009/?start=all

Steph

Brooke
07-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Great! Thanks again Steph!

GlennLover
07-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Steph, how cool that you got to speak with Scott!

Again, you're pictures are great!!

StephUK
07-24-2009, 06:17 PM
Forgot to say, Richard Davis wasn't on stage at the show in Glasgow. He wasn't there for the show in Birmningham on 8 July either(was he there in B'ham on 7th?) Haven't heard why he was missing. We thought Will seemed to be a bit unwell at the Dublin/Glasgow shows, so I wonder if Richard had gone down with a bug too....and worse than Will?

Was Richard there for the Manchester shows?

Glennsallnighter
07-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Great review Steph. Its great that you got to speak to Scott. I hope the band members who have been feeling under the weather recently will enjpy their time off to recuperate. They have been on the go for a long time now.

Brilliant pictures

Prettymaid
07-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Steph, I'm surprised you didn't ask Scott about Will. He could have told you if he's been ill. :nod:

Thanks for the pictures, they are really appreciated!

luvthelighthouse
07-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Steph, thanks so much for sharing the pics. It's always nice to see fresh new shots!

sodascouts
07-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Great pics as usual Steph! Pity about WITW though. Such a magnificent song that I hate to see it dropped for any reason.

Koala
07-25-2009, 02:59 AM
Brilliant photos! Thanks Steph! :)

StephUK
07-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Steph, I'm surprised you didn't ask Scott about Will. He could have told you if he's been ill. :nod:

Thanks for the pictures, they are really appreciated!

I don't know why I didn't ask Scott about Will; I didn't speak to him for very long.
I guess at that time I was still hoping that Will might put in an appearance as it was only about 30 minutes after the show had ended.(We had been lucky enough to park very near to the stadium & got away quickly before any queues built up - so the guys can't have got back to the hotel very long before we did).
I was so sad that Will didn't join the others, and I did scold myself for not asking Scott about him.

08-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Sorry I'm just getting around to responding to this, but great pics Steph. I am also so sorry for you that Will wasn't in the bar. I know you would have been thrilled to meet him. He was very nice when we saw him at the bar in Niagara Falls as were Scott, Al, and Michael. But it is cool that you got to talk to Scott.

StephUK
08-26-2009, 01:55 PM
As there are no shows at the moment & things are a bit quiet, I thought you might like to see a few more of my photos from the July 4 Glasgow show. I've already posted a link to the best ones which are on Photobucket, but here are some more which are kind-of OK.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Glasgow%202009%20pt2/Glasgow265badj.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Glasgow%202009%20pt2/Glasgow298badj.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Glasgow%202009%20pt2/Glasgow253badj.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Glasgow%202009%20pt2/Glasgow258badj.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Glasgow%202009%20pt2/Glasgow201badj.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Glasgow%202009%20pt2/Glasgow221badj.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Glasgow%202009%20pt2/Glasgow241badj.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Glasgow%202009%20pt2/Glasgow135badj.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Glasgow%202009%20pt2/Glasgow195badj.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Glasgow%202009%20pt2/Glasgow41badj.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Glasgow%202009%20pt2/Glasgow430badj.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Glasgow%202009%20pt2/Glasgow431badj.jpg

sodascouts
08-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Thanks for giving the tour threads a little action, Steph! The "worst" of your photos are better than the best of mine!

glenneaglesfan
08-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Steph, thanks for posting up those pics. They are all much better than any I managed to take!

I haven't been able to keep up with all the concert threads, but thanks to all of you for your reviews and photos.

GlennLover
08-27-2009, 09:13 PM
Thanks so much for posting your pics Steph!