PDA

View Full Version : SECOND Greatest Band of all Time

MikeA
07-07-2009, 10:07 AM
The thread that Jess started concerning the poll for Greatest AMERICAN BAND of all time got me thinking. What or Who is the Band with the greatest influence of all time in the opinion of the Members here on The Border?

I don't think we should exclude Solo performers either. Or maybe we should!

In fairness, I think that because of the Justifiable Bias we here have for "Eagles", that they should be excluded from the poll. It's a foregone conclusion that we would pick them.

In the same vane, I think that the "Beatles" should be excluded from consideration. Their influence and popularity is undisputed and in fact, at least from a standpoint of "influence" probably outweigh the Eagles if not in popularity as well. Exclusion would encompass individual members of the Beatles and Eagles.

So, let's put together a poll after we decide on who should be included and discuss the reasons for selection. Note that I am not thinking of selection based on our personal preferences but rather as an objective exercise in noting the INFLUENCE on the music scene that a group or individual might have had.

A few that I can think of are;

"Led Zeppelin"
"Simon & Garfunkle"
"Madonna"
"The WHO"
"Rolling Stones"
"Fleetwood Mac"
"Beach Boys"
"Eric Clapton"
"Cream"
"Doors"
"Janis Joplin"
"Jimi Hendrix"
"Stevie Ray Vaughn"
"Lynard Skynard"
"Alman Bros"
"Creedence Clearwater Revival"
"Elvis Presley"
"Queen"
"Kiss"
"Aerosmith"
"Crosby, Stills, Nash" (both with and without Neil Young)
Neil Young
Stephen Stills
David Crosby
Graham Nash
Dire Straits
Bee Gees
Chuck Berry
Little Richard
Buddy Holly
The Clash
Bob Marley
Velvet Underground/Lou Reed
Nirvana
John Mayal's "Bluesbreakers" (don't laugh...Clapton, Peter Green, Mick Taylor all came out of the mentoring of Mayal's band)
Heart
Black Sabbath
Pink Floyd
Van Halen
Styx
The Animals
The Hollies
Sweet
Otis Redding
Marvin Gaye
Prince
Michael Jackson (yes)
Sly Stone
Sam Cooke
Al Green
Bob Dylan
Byrds
Elton John
Aretha Franklin
Van Morrison
U2
Poco
Ramones
Frank Zappa
David Bowie
Bruce Springsteen
BB King
Robert Johnson
Grateful Dead
Joni Mitchel
Dolly Parton
Aretha Franklin
Lionel Richie
Stevie Wonder
Journey
Boston
Kansas
REO
Bon Jovi
Motley Crue
Yes
Def Leppard
Run DMC
P.O.D.
Megadeth
Alice Cooper

TimothyBFan
07-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Mike--did you actually just leave Zeppelin off your list? I'm sorry I can't play with you if you're going to be like that! :yuck: :laugh:

luvthelighthouse
07-07-2009, 10:35 AM
I think you have to add "Led Zepplin" to that group. ... and not that I'm a huge fan, but "Madona" has been around for a long time and done much for music. Also, how about "Simon and Garfunkel"?

I agree with

"The Who"
"Rolling Stones"
"Beach Boys"
"Elvis Presley"
"Queen"
"Kiss"
"Aerosmith"
"Crosby, Stills, Nash" (both with and without Neil Young)

EagleLady
07-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Madonna isn't really a band. Just a singer

luvthelighthouse
07-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Madonna isn't really a band. Just a singer

So is Elvis. I think Mike mentioned it would be okay to add a solo artist, unless everyone decides to leave off the solo act.

Also, TBF, I was typing as you were posting... so yes, Led Zepplin needs to be included. :razz:

MikeA
07-07-2009, 11:05 AM
So is Elvis. I think Mike mentioned it would be okay to add a solo artist, unless everyone decides to leave off the solo act.

Also, TBF, I was typing as you were posting... so yes, Led Zepplin needs to be included. :razz:

For cryin' out loud! Of COURSE Zep should be there!!!!!!!!!! I have an MP3 player with nothing but EVERYTHING that Zep has ever done!

I will try to keep the original post updated with suggestions so help me if I fail to pick up on anyone's suggestions. Be good to have them all listed in one place. Then we eventually get the list narrowed down to true contenders.

Freypower
07-07-2009, 09:01 PM
I would not include Kiss in terms of 'influence'. Neither would I include Lynyrd Skynyrd. As for Aerosmith, I am dubious that they have had lasting influence.

I will push my own barrel here and say that you can't leave out Dire Straits, but perhaps that is just me. Same with the Bee Gees.

My husband would want me to mention Frank Zappa.

Others:

Chuck Berry
Little Richard
Buddy Holly
The Clash
Bob Marley
Nirvana

EagleLady
07-07-2009, 09:12 PM
:shock: Are you kidding me? I would so Include Kiss And Aerosmith as being influential :headbang:

MikeA
07-07-2009, 09:14 PM
I would not include Kiss in terms of 'influence'. Neither would I include Lynyrd Skynyrd. As for Aerosmith, I am dubious that they have had lasting influence.

I will push my own barrel here and say that you can't leave out Dire Straits, but perhaps that is just me. Same with the Bee Gees.

My husband would want me to mention Frank Zappa.

Others:

Chuck Berry
Little Richard
Buddy Holly
The Clash
Bob Marley
Nirvana

LOL

I've lived a protected life I guess. I'd never heard of "The Clash" until you mentioned them and I looked them up. Hall of Fame Band! But then I never got into Punk. I know nothing about anything to do with RAP either (I'm proud to say <LOL>)

I'll keep expanding the list with anyone anyone wishes. But at some point we are going to have to narrow it down to the ONE GROUP or ARTIST who, excepting the Eagles and Beatles, signifies the most Influential and Popular band in history. It is not going to be easy to weigh those two factors together and determine which group exemplifies both attributes.

TimothyBFan
07-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Ok Mike--I can now play your game:hilarious:.

Actually, I've been thinking about this topic quite a bit this afternoon, and must admit I am having a LOT of difficulty here. Everyone is different, what may have influenced my love of music will be totally different of what others here think. Are we talking influence over all in Music or for each of us individually or just Rock Music and then that leads to so many different types of rock music.... here lies my problem...am I picking it all apart to much? PROBABLY!!!

Some for your consideration that I feel A LOT of people might think of (sorry if I repeat anyone):
Heart
Black Sabbath
Pink Floyd
Queen
Van Hale
Styx
The Animals
The Hollies
Sweet (ok sorry but I had to do it because they sure as h*ll had an impact on me)

I agree-Kiss- NOT (sorry EL) they were nothing more than a gimmick --take away the makeup--big deal!!! JMHO

And then if you break it down by genre.... My gosh this could be a great big project. Heavy Metal, Southern Rock, New Wave, Punk, Glam Rock, etc..... If we break it down please add The Cars in the New Wave category.

I'm making this a mountain out of a mole hill aren't I? SORRY!!!!!

Freypower
07-07-2009, 09:18 PM
:shock: Are you kidding me? I would so Include Kiss And Aerosmith as being influential :headbang:

How were Kiss influential except in terms of encouraging people to dress in outlandish costumes? To this day I can only name a couple of their songs. I don't have any of their albums, true, but their appeal always seemed purely visual.

Edit: There may be a lot of 'agreeing to disagree' here and perhaps I am showing my age, but to me the music has to have really stood the test of time and there has to be a lot of work which appeals across a very wide range of people.

EagleLady
07-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Ok Mike--I can now play your game:hilarious:.

Actually, I've been thinking about this topic quite a bit this afternoon, and must admit I am having a LOT of difficulty here. Everyone is different, what may have influenced my love of music will be totally different of what others here think. Are we talking influence over all in Music or for each of us individually or just Rock Music and then that leads to so many different types of rock music.... here lies my problem...am I picking it all apart to much? PROBABLY!!!

Some for your consideration that I feel A LOT of people might think of (sorry if I repeat anyone):
Heart
Black Sabbath
Pink Floyd
Queen
Van Hale
Styx
The Animals
The Hollies
Sweet (ok sorry but I had to do it because they sure as h*ll had an impact on me)

I agree-Kiss- NOT (sorry EL) they were nothing more than a gimmick --take away the makeup--big deal!!! JMHO

And then if you break it down by genre.... My gosh this could be a great big project. Heavy Metal, Southern Rock, New Wave, Punk, Glam Rock, etc..... If we break it down please add The Cars in the New Wave category.

I'm making this a mountain out of a mole hill aren't I? SORRY!!!!!

:fight: :razz:

Freypower
07-07-2009, 09:28 PM
I think we should add some influential black artists (NB I am only including 'rock' or 'soul' musicians.

Otis Redding
Marvin Gaye
Prince
Michael Jackson (yes)
Sly Stone
Sam Cooke
Al Green

MikeA
07-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Willie,

LOL: It would have been a LOT easier if we just listed Eagles and Beatles and had a slugfest noting the influence and popularity. Hate to say it, but the Beatles impacted not only the Music Industry, but also Culture itself! Popularity, I think they were about equal.

When I started this thread, my definition of "Influential" really was intended to be that of influencing other Artists or the Music culture. For example, SRV made it abundantly clear that he was almost ultimately influenced to be what he was because of Jimi Hendrix. To carry on the torch, SRV then pretty much defined Texas Blues.

Bob Dylan (dang...left him off the list and MUST add him in though I was never a big Dylan fan) was extremely influencial in that he Electrified Folk Music and demonstrated to upcoming artists that Rock could make a statement.

I really wasn't considering personal influences. If that were the case, I'd have to list the Mamas and Papas....their "California Dreaming" had a profound impact on me personally. And maybe they should be included anyway.

I'll keep this open for a while longer....maybe tomorrow afternoon to give it 24 hours to accumulate whomever you all wish to consider. But at some point SOON we are going to have to close the nominations and start deliberating on maybe the top 10 or 20 to be considered.

It is going to be difficult for me personally to be objective in this yet I am determined to make the best attempt at objectivity as I can muster. There are artists who have been mentioned that I have never owned any works of theirs, yet I reluctantly in some cases, acknowledge that they did have an impact on the music scene either with Influence on other Artists, Influence on the Industry or in Popularity with those who love music.

TimothyBFan
07-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Got ya!!! I thought that was where you were going. But wow---how hard will that be OVERALL, instead of breaking it down by genre? See, I didn't even add Folk in my list of genres. This is really really hard :dizzy:~~ but I LOVE it!! Real fuel for thought.

And how could all of us forget about Bob Dylan (not one of my faves either)?

I remember your Mamas And Papas story. Thanks for sharing that with us awhile ago.

Freypower
07-07-2009, 10:28 PM
My God - Dylan - my hero.:blush: This leads of course to the Byrds, without whom there would be no Eagles.

I also forgot David Bowie, Van Morrison & I think Elton John should be at least considered. For influential women probably Aretha Franklin, Joni Mitchell and Janis Joplin.

And then there is Bruce Springsteen and (shudder) U2. I can't stand them but they have had an impact which I cannot deny. To U2 lovers be grateful I mentioned them.:ziplip:

luvthelighthouse
07-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Ok Mike, you are going to have to break down by Rock, Folk, Punk Solo, etc.

If we are doing punk, the Ramones and Green Day for sure!

For solo, I agree, Bowie (much influence on me and an icon for decades) and Elton John.

I also agree U2 must be included. I'm not a fan, but their popularity and mass appeal speaks for itself.

Oh... and Poco... for without them, there would be no Eagles... as even Glenn himself has been quoted that he really liked the sound coming out of Poco and even tried to emulate them to a degree.

eaglesvet
07-08-2009, 07:26 AM
Boy, I missed alot in 24 hours. I agree with the ton of bands listed, and thanks to FP for posting the Boss!

MikeA
07-08-2009, 07:26 AM
On first thought, breaking it down by "Genre" sounds like a good idea. But after thinking about it, that would be very difficult to do.

For instance: Robert Johnson was a premiere Black Bluesman from the Delta country of Mississippi. But if we broke him out as a Blues Artist, then we wouldn't be able to consider the influence he had on the Beatles or Clapton, or Mayal, or Peter Green or Mick Taylor or Jimmy Page or the Rolling Stones...none of which (except for Clapton who actually admits to being ulitmately a Bluesman) is known for Blues. Heck, Led Zeppelin was taking Blues methodology to the ultimate and incorporating it into what was at the time, Hard Rock which morphed later into Metal! So who's the INFLUENCE there? Robert Johnson, Gatemouth Brown, Lightening Hopkins....or was it Zep?

I think that in the vane of Objective here, I would have to tip the scales to Zeppelin. I would like to give it back to the Bluesmen, but where they set the stage for virtually all of what we know as Rock Music, Country Western and later Metal as well as having written the Bible on Blues, They didn't have the "Popularity". And it is Influence PLUS Popularity that should determine the top spot.

I mean Influence is HUGE in this, but most people do not know who they were, then how could they be the Second Greatest Band Of All Time? Conversely, If the band or artist is the most Popular in History but didn't invoke change in the Music Industry and inspire other musicians (Like Three Dog Night maybe?), how could they be considered for top honors?

I'm thinking that when we finish with our nominations, we might try to each narrow the list down to the top 20....then to the top 10.....then to the top 5 and at that point, start debating. Hell, we've ALREADY started Debating! :hilarious:

TimothyBFan
07-08-2009, 07:44 AM
I totally agree with your whole blues commentary. Without the Robert Johnson's and Mayal's of music, there simply wouldn't even be rock n roll, or at least rock n roll as we all know it.

I like your idea of starting point of 20 and working our way down. I seriously think we each will be all over the place on this. I will be very interested to see how everyone's list will compare when we start narrowing it all down. I still like the genre thing but you are correct about how hard that will be. I would in the future, in another thread, have everyone interested give a list by genre of their favorites or most popular. I think that would be really fun. Maybe some people would even discover new genres of music they really hadn't even paid attention to. Like punk Mike---The Clash---you never heard of them before? WOW!!!:hilarious: They were all over MTV in the 80's, so that really surprised me.

Oh hell, I'll just say it now---I intend to vote for Zeppelin in the end, no matter what...now I just have to figure out how to get to that point by narrowing the rest of the list.

MikeA
07-08-2009, 08:11 AM
Like punk Mike---The Clash---you never heard of them before? WOW!!!:hilarious: They were all over MTV in the 80's, so that really surprised me.

Oh hell, I'll just say it now---I intend to vote for Zeppelin in the end

That's what I like...OBJECTIVITY <crackin' up here LOL>

It's going to be difficult for me also and I don't have a clue as to how I will be able to come up with anything with out Subjectivity creeping in. Maybe I'll just go play golf <LOL>

I was never big on MTV. I was so burned with the desolution of Eagles by the 80's that I pretty much ignored the Rock scene. Heck, I even tried to listen to Country for a while but could never really develop an appreciation for it. I'd reverted to "Oldies but Goodies". So all of that "Punk" splash just washed on by me unnoticed. All of the head bangin', mad "I'm gonna Kill myself or someone else" just didn't do it for me and whether that perception of their music was right or not, it turned me off. I didn't even appreciate Metalica at the time.

Prettymaid
07-08-2009, 10:27 AM
There are artists who have been mentioned that I have never owned any works of theirs, yet I reluctantly in some cases, acknowledge that they did have an impact on the music scene either with Influence on other Artists, Influence on the Industry or in Popularity with those who love music.

That's my dilemma here. I have never owned any works of the majority of artists on the list, so how am I to know how they have influenced music? Am I not, in the end, simply going to pick my personal favorite?

luvthelighthouse
07-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Let's be honest here... of course most polls etc are subjective. No matter what, it should be fun.

MikeA
07-08-2009, 10:43 AM
That's my dilemma here. I have never owned any works of the majority of artists on the list, so how am I to know how they have influenced music? Am I not, in the end, simply going to pick my personal favorite?

Probably that is what most are going to do. I myself, am going to look back at the books I've read on various artists, Google the artists, and see if I can gather something other than record sales to use as information to form an opinion about.

Most artists and bands have had some sort of impact on the Scene. The question becomes how significant an impact did they have.

Look at the Eagles as an example. They pretty much created a genre with "Country Rock". They along with agents and managers, pretty much redefined ticket prices (raising them to the sky because they COULD.) They brough vocal harmonies to Rock Music like few other groups...CSNY and Mamas and Papas were standouts in this also. They really made the Ballad something it wasn't before. Before it was more or less Folk or Folk Rock and the Eagles took Ballads to another level. The Eagles more than any other Band, redefined stage performances by meticuluously recreating each song so that it was Identical to the recording (that has it's plus and minus attributes in my opinion) which at the very least eliminated any surprises at concerts.

I'm not even going into what the Beatles did. But they were very unique. They changed not only the Music Scene itself, but the culture of an entire generation of humanity! Everything from political awareness to the way we dressed and cut our hair (or didn't cut it!)

Now, with that type thing in mind, what did Aerosmith bring to the table (stadium performances surely!). How about the Ramones? What did Led Zep do for the industry and ultimately for the consummers? How about KISS (other than show us how clowns apply makup <LOL>)

Bowie gave us theatrics blended with musical performance! Zappa was like that too. Who influenced who?

It won't be easy Cathy. I think there could be an entire career of Historical Analysis of "cause and effect" should anyone desire to make a profession of it. I'm sure it would sell a LOT of books!

luvthelighthouse
07-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Did I miss the Greatful Dead in the list? I didn't see it, but I could have overlooked it.

I mean, talk about influencing a culture...

MikeA
07-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Did I miss the Greatful Dead in the list? I didn't see it, but I could have overlooked it.

I mean, talk about influencing a culture...

No, you didn't miss GD. I quite simply forgot them! Rhonda and I were just talking about the Dead. I'll add them.

Now, for some material to digest. I of course knew of Dire Straits and liked some of their music but didn't know a lot about them. So I looked them up.

What I found that during the reign of Stadium Rock and and Punk music, Dire Straits maintained a position rooted in conventional Rock. As for Inovation, DS released the first recording produced specifically to take advantage of the new Compact Disc (CD) format.

Greatful Dead? I think they had a huge Inovative impact! First, they were NOT a "recording" band. I mean they certainly recorded and sold music, but where they really made their mark was with live performances. They had audio presentation equaled by NONE with a engineer who not only designed speaker systems specifically for live performances, but also engineered designer drugs (LSD in particular....Oswley Stanley!) Jerry Garcia took Folk Rock to the Flower Children of the mid to late 60's. Yeah, they were Influential and do need to be considered.

"Queen": Did you know that Queen released a pre-MTV video of Bohemian Rhapsody? They were of the first to do anything like that. I'd call that Inovation and deduce that it probably had a lot of impact on the entire MTV video explosion. I have to think though I haven't seen anything documenting it, that Queen was pretty heavily influenced By Zappa and Bowie based on the way Mercury especially presented their songs on-stage.

luvthelighthouse
07-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Now, with that type thing in mind, what did Aerosmith bring to the table (stadium performances surely!). How about the Ramones? What did Led Zep do for the industry and ultimately for the consummers?

Well Velvet Underground may have laid the foundation for Punk Rock, they weren't a punk band. Yes, others may have been before the Ramones, but the Ramones were probably called the first Punk band. They influenced the Clash, Sex Pistols, Butthole Surfers, etc.

I guess I should save the above comment for the elimation part, but I can repeat it. =)

TimothyBFan
07-08-2009, 12:48 PM
That's my dilemma here. I have never owned any works of the majority of artists on the list, so how am I to know how they have influenced music?

Cathy-just vote for Led Zeppelin!! :thumbsup: :hilarious: Not trying to sway the vote already or anything!

Also, think of this as a way of getting to know some new forms of music that you would've never tried before. Who knows---you might find something new that you enjoy.

I was never big on MTV. I was so burned with the desolution of Eagles by the 80's that I pretty much ignored the Rock scene. Heck, I even tried to listen to Country for a while but could never really develop an appreciation for it. I'd reverted to "Oldies but Goodies". So all of that "Punk" splash just washed on by me unnoticed. All of the head bangin', mad "I'm gonna Kill myself or someone else" just didn't do it for me and whether that perception of their music was right or not, it turned me off. I didn't even appreciate Metalica at the time.

Makes sense. Glad you gave up on Country. Unfortunately that is the perception many had of Punk and a lot of Punk artists were like that but many were not. Loved The Clash, The Ramones and Billy Idol for examples that were very different.

And trust me, I still don't appreciate Metalica---talk about a band that tries to be scary by screaming in your face!!! I can think of only 2 songs of theirs that I will ever listen to! To me that's not Heavy Metal it's just screaming real loud! JMO tho.

MikeA
07-08-2009, 01:03 PM
For me, Metalica was intriuging because of the guitar work....not overall musicianship. They did perfect power-cords and lightening fast guitar finger tapping! With two leads, they really set the stage on FIRE.

Country: My stint in "country" was "Red Headed Stranger", the outlaw guys (Jennings and Willie and Hank Williams Jr.) Oh, I did like Don Williams. No accounting for "tastes" <LOL>

I do have to admit Shanai Twain caught my attention and it had nothing to do with MUSIC!

Hmmm, I didn't list Bonnie Raitt. I think Bonnie is more of a perpetuator and ambassador of Blues more so than an Inovator though.

Joni Mitchell I do need to add if she's not already there though. She was part of the huge scene around Laurel Canyon where not on the Eagles, but JD Souther, Jackson Browne, CSNY, Mama Cass Elliot and that entire group were coming into their own. Joni was sort of the Queen of that "Set".

Prettymaid
07-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Cathy-just vote for Led Zeppelin!! :thumbsup: :hilarious:

You wish! :hilarious:

sodascouts
07-08-2009, 01:40 PM
I use one factor to determine my decision: whose music I enjoy the most.

The second greatest band of all time is...

FLEETWOOD MAC!

MikeA
07-08-2009, 02:32 PM
I use one factor to determine my decision: whose music I enjoy the most.

The second greatest band of all time is...

FLEETWOOD MAC!

I like FM too....a LOT. What we need though is "something" that Fleetwood Mac contributed (besides a new song <smile>)that really impacted the music scene by introducing or becoming something that set them apart from the rest of the bands. Something attributed the "Them" alone...like the Eagles breaking the genre of Country Rock.

I'm not saying Fleetwood Mac didn't provide Inovation nor that they were NOT an Influence. I haven't researched them that deeply to know what (besides good music!) they might have contributed. I know Peter Green was with them and came out of John Mayal's Bluesbreaker group.

The "Who" for busting guitars on stage <LOL> or introducing the "Rock Opera". No, not "Tommy". That happened in 1969. Townshend recorded a 10 minute "opera" called "A Quick One While He's Away" released on their second album in 1966 and called it "Rock Opera" and probably was responsible for the phrase. But it was the first recorded material labeled "Rock Opera".

Nivarna (not "The" Nirvana) in 1967 released a full album along the "Rock Opera" theme. They were the true "first" to stick with it through a complete album.

Something besides just good music that might have been very popular and yet nothing really "new". Looking for groups that had a tremendous impact on the industry or influenced a large number of bands that followed them and patterned themselves after that group. Something like Jimi Hendrix who successfully started the Power Trio configuration that was followed later by the likes of Cream, Stevie Ray Vaughan and yes, The James Gang.

luvthelighthouse
07-08-2009, 04:33 PM
I know you are going to close the suggestion box... and we'll be getting down to business soon. I have two suggestions:

1) Let's omit the solo artists

or

2) Break it into solo artists and bands

I'm not sure it's comparing apples to apples if we put both catagories up against each other.

MikeA
07-08-2009, 04:47 PM
I know you are going to close the suggestion box... and we'll be getting down to business soon. I have two suggestions:

1) Let's omit the solo artists

or

2) Break it into solo artists and bands

I'm not sure it's comparing apples to apples if we put both catagories up against each other.

Hmmmmm....Would we eliminate Hendrix? I guess technically, he could be left on the list as Jimi Hendrix and the Experience, but it's really Jimi that was the innovator. Janis Joplin is the same. List her with Big Brother And The Holding Company though Big Brother sure wasn't much <LOL>. Same with Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble. It was Stevie Ray who was the driver.

How about Buddy Holly: <quote from Wikipedia>

Holly is described by critic Bruce Eder as "the single most influential creative force in early rock and roll."[1] His works and innovations inspired and influenced both his contemporaries and later musicians, notably The Beatles, The Beach Boys, The Rolling Stones, and Bob Dylan,[2] and exerted a profound influence on popular music.

All of the above influenced later BANDS greatly as can be seen by the quote on Buddy Holly.

But then, I guess EVERY band or musician had someone who influenced them. We can decide this when we close the nominations. It's going to be an almost impossible goal for me to come up with a clear-cut "winner" in my own mind, let alone getting a consensus here on The Border.

Fan_For_Life
07-08-2009, 06:22 PM
I'll throw a few in:

Def Leppard (Photograph/ Hysteria)
Run DMC(Rap)
P.O.D. (Rapcore/metal/rastafari)
Megadeth(IMO stayed truer to the metal sound than Metallica)
Alice Cooper(make-up and morbid theatrics)

Prettymaid
07-08-2009, 06:32 PM
I can see I'm going to have a hard time with this... hardly any of my favorites are on the list, but I don't feel right nominating them because they were not innovative.

For example, some of my faves are Journey, Boston, Kansas, REO Speedwagon and Head East. Some of those bands probably got their sound from Yes, but I don't like Yes - I like these others better!

luvthelighthouse
07-08-2009, 10:20 PM
PM, that's the thing, what makes a band great? Them being innovators, or them making great music, or both?

Let's be honest, a great band is one you like. One you associate with. One you feel.

There are several bands I like, but I know they aren't even close to being "great". For example, I happen to like Blink182 and Sublime... but not even close to them being great. I enjoy Bon Jovi and most 80's hairbands, but again, not great... oh, oh...wait... maybe Motley Crue... they could be in the greatest category.

EagleLady
07-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Motley Crue over Bon Jovi? No Way! Bon Jovi has survived longer

luvthelighthouse
07-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Motley Crue over Bon Jovi? No Way! Bon Jovi has survived longer

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Bon Jovi. Back in the 80's I saw them numerous times, the first band I ever crossed state line to see. Back when it was the only way to get good seat, I slept out (in the Chicago winter) to get tickets. (For those not familiar w/sleeping out... you spend the night outside waiting for the ticket window to open in the morning!) However, I honestly believe Crue are better musicians.

eaglesvet
07-08-2009, 11:09 PM
I remember the days (or I guess nights) of sleeping out for concert tickets very well!! The next step up in ticket sales evolution was the wristband, remember? HA! These young 'uns don't know how cushy they have it! Oh, I guess we do too, now, huh...

eaglesvet
07-08-2009, 11:12 PM
I can see I'm going to have a hard time with this... hardly any of my favorites are on the list, but I don't feel right nominating them because they were not innovative.

For example, some of my faves are Journey, Boston, Kansas, REO Speedwagon and Head East. Some of those bands probably got their sound from Yes, but I don't like Yes - I like these others better!
Actually, I love a lot of your faves...Journey, Boston...and I also liked Kansas and REO back in the day (not as much now, but still, I hear where you are coming from!)

Freypower
07-08-2009, 11:49 PM
I can't wait to see how you're going to narrow this down. I need to mention the great Stevie Wonder, as well as Pink Floyd.

scottishlass
07-09-2009, 05:23 AM
dolly parton, aretha franklin ,lionel richie and roxty music with bryan ferry.

even modern coutry shania twain is brilliant.

Fan_For_Life
07-09-2009, 07:34 AM
I like FM too....a LOT. What we need though is "something" that Fleetwood Mac contributed (besides a new song <smile>)that really impacted the music scene by introducing or becoming something that set them apart from the rest of the bands. Something attributed the "Them" alone...like the Eagles breaking the genre of Country Rock.

Perhaps Fleetwood Mac as a group weren't influential on the music scene, as far as bringing anything new to the table. Stevie Nicks I believe her unique voice and style made a huge impact for many women singers. If it wasn't for her I don't believe Cher or Pat Benatar or Joan Jett would've had the success they had.

MikeA
07-09-2009, 10:33 AM
No one ever said this was going to be "easy". It will generate a lot of debate I'm sure simply because everyone has Favs! I do too. But I am committed to remaining OBJECTIVE about it (right, like you can remain objective when it comes to MUSIC which is one of the most emotional aspects of OUR LIVES!)

Just keep in mine that we are very privileged to have a place to associate here on The Border where we all are as adamant about our Music as anyone anywhere. Not everyone cares that much for music and trying to discuss anything concerning the art with one of those who are nonchalant about it makes having The Border to let our hair down is truly is a privilege.

I'm probably not going to be able to do much with the topic here today. We had one HELL of a storm come through last night and we have big tree limbs down and others broken off and still up in the trees ready to fall and hit someone! Our swimming pool was almost overflowing from the rain and hail and it was full of leaves too. Here's a link to some pictures I took this morning after the storm.

http://mvabercrombie.net/abercrombie_albums/2009_0708_storm/2009_0708_storm.html

TimothyBFan
07-09-2009, 01:19 PM
(right, like you can remain objective when it comes to MUSIC which is one of the most emotional aspects of OUR LIVES!)

What a great way of putting it, "emotional aspect". I really like that I believe it sums up music for me pretty good.

WOW-some storm!! Those poor trees and your pool. Looks like you have some cleanup ahead of you. Good luck!

Brooke
07-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Yikes, Mike! Your thoughts about climbing the tree with the chainsaw went through my hubbies mind a couple weeks ago at our house! He survived! :lol:

MikeA
07-09-2009, 02:57 PM
I'll try to get in here tonight and "close the nominations" and start trying to put it together for our scrutiny.

I know there are some in posts last night and this morning that I'll need to add to the list. I'll see how many there are and then see if we can start whittling it down. Have to see how many are on the list before deciding how many to cut each go-round.

It might be easiest to cut it to maybe the top ten or twenty before really getting in there and putting on the battle armor. I can see there being a day or maybe two between eliminations to give time to present cases for keeping or eliminating bands. But like I said, we'll have to narrow the list down considerably before really getting into it else this thing could drag out forever.

I suggest that we all start gathering "data" on the bands we favor. Not just records sold, but also documented specifics as to what bands or artists considered them an influence on the type music they (the chosen) have elected to record. Also significant, would be what inovations they made either instrumentally or in the studio as well as stage presentations or anything "new" that might have come about because of their success.

Especially significant would be any band who introduced something new to Music itself...such as a new or recognizably different genre.

Be thinking about it. In the end, it is going to be a very tight race!

MikeA
07-09-2009, 03:01 PM
dolly parton, aretha franklin ,lionel richie and roxty music with bryan ferry.

even modern coutry shania twain is brilliant.

Ain't Nuthin' wrong with Shania Twain...and THAT'S OFFICIAL

I've bought (or was given) two of her CDS. I have no idea what the songs were, but there were GREAT pictures of her on the cover!

Freypower
07-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Can I just say something about Dire Straits.

They proved in the age of punk/new wave and overt political grandstanding that it was still possible to write songs with melodies, interesting lyrics and accomplished instrumentation, and be successful. (The Police did the same, I suppose, but they always seemed closer to New Wave). Knopfler's brilliant guitar playing must have been an influence on some guitarists at least. The video for Money For Nothing set new standards in the way the medium could be used.

MikeA
07-10-2009, 10:36 AM
NOMINATIONS CLOSED

I will start a new topic with the list alphabetized.

Ive always been a dreamer
07-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Well, I've had a very busy week so I didn't get a chance to weigh in on this before now. However, as I was replying to this in the 'Round 1' thread, I noticed some glaring omissions that I would have offered up for consideration. Oh well, too late now, but I could have easily made the initial list into 100 nominations. Here's a few that came to my mind ...

Bob Seger
Buffalo Springfield
Green Day
Guns 'n Roses
James Brown
Jefferson Airplane
Linkin' Park
Lovin' Spoonful
The Mamas and the Papas
No Doubt/Gwen Stefani
Red Hot Chili Peppers
R.E.M.
Santana
Smashing Pumpkins
Steely Dan
Tom Petty

eaglesvet
07-13-2009, 02:24 AM
Oh yeah, Dreamer, I agree that we missed more than a few really good ones. Oh well. I also thought of Genesis, Billy Joel, Loggins and Messina, and the Police (which I think FP mentioned just in a passing reference.)

scottishlass
07-13-2009, 05:13 AM
shania is one od modern countrys greatests, some of her stuff is good, some not so good but over all shes a good singer.

elton john is good to. cher is very over rated, when she said she was retirig she should of stayed retired. never liked her ever lol.

celine dion also very over rated, u seen her shows omg, i would of asked for my money back.

supremes with diana ross were brilliant.

MikeA
07-13-2009, 07:23 AM
IALBAD,

Have to agree with you! Particularly Buffalo Springfield, Santana and Tom Petty should at least have gotten consideration. Santana was a prodigy. Very inovative in bring Latin influence to Rock...AND great to just listen to as well. And there were a few pretty good (understatement) individuals who came out of BS. Tom Petty...popular "back then" and popular NOW. One of the legends.

And, James Brown. WOW! What an omission THAT was! I was Blues back when Psycodelia and Soul were popular (didn't get on the Rock Waggon for several more years and still find myself falling "back" to the Blues) and James Brown really didn't "do it" for me but there is no doubt he was both "Popular" and "Influential".

TimothyBFan
07-13-2009, 08:28 AM
Oh for the love of God----How in the H*ll was James Brown overlooked by EVERYONE but Dreamer? That's really embarrassing!!!!!!!!!!!!!:brickwall:

Freypower
07-13-2009, 08:10 PM
James Brown occurred to me later on. But if you include too many artists from the same genre it gets a bit top heavy. To me we have recognised the talents of Stills & Young with both Neil solo & CSNY, and I think the Byrds were more innovative than Springfield. I think the inclusion of Jefferson Airplane wouldn't have been amiss though.

Prettymaid
07-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Shoulda, woulda, coulda... CHICAGO! Weren't they one of the first rock bands to feature a horn section? (I always liked Chicago.)

MikeA
07-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Shoulda, woulda, coulda... CHICAGO! Weren't they one of the first rock bands to feature a horn section? (I always liked Chicago.)

Wikipedia quote on the Beatles:

Along with studio tricks such as sound effects, unconventional microphone placements, tape loops, double tracking and vari-speed recording, The Beatles began to augment their recordings with instruments that were unconventional for rock music at the time. These included string and brass ensembles as well as Indian instruments such as the sitar in "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)" and the swarmandel in "Strawberry Fields Forever".[105] They also used early electronic instruments such as the Mellotron, with which McCartney supplied the flute voices on the intro to "Strawberry Fields Forever",[106] and the clavioline, an electronic keyboard that created the unusual oboe-like sound on "Baby You're a Rich Man".[107]

When it comes to innovation, I seriously doubt that there could possibly be ANYONE who did much of anything "new" before the Beatles <LOL> That's why I eliminated them from consideration in this little set-too here.

Prettymaid
07-14-2009, 07:58 AM
Of course, Mike,and I realize that. But the Beatles were so innovative that you never knew what their music would sound like! (Don't get me wrong - that was a good thing!) :nod: It's not that they were known for their horns. But Chicago had that sound on everything they did. So although I understand that they weren't the first, the horns became (and still are) their thing.