PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham July 7 2009

TimothyBFan
07-08-2009, 01:45 PM
From Google Alerts

http://http://www.shropshirestar.com/2009/07/08/eagles-soar-at-birmingham-concert/ (http://http//www.shropshirestar.com/2009/07/08/eagles-soar-at-birmingham-concert/)

sodascouts
07-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Now THAT'S a review!

anne-o-gg
07-08-2009, 02:07 PM
:yay::yay::yay: Somebody give that guy a lollipop! That was awesome!

luvthelighthouse
07-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Ah, a reviewer who hears what we hear.

That was great!

Glennsallnighter
07-08-2009, 02:56 PM
At last a decent review from somebody who knows his music. Well Done! I loved it and its great to hear the concert was sooooo good! :yay: :yay: :yay:

Brooke
07-08-2009, 03:04 PM
:thumbsup: Now that's what I'm talkin' about! :applause:

Remy
07-08-2009, 03:17 PM
About time....the truth at last!!!
He was obviously there.:thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
07-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Ha- I knew you guys would love that review when I posted it! Isn't it refreshing for a change? :thumbsup:

Troubadour
07-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Well, after a lengthy coach journey today, I've finally arrived home from Birmingham. I've been dying to write this review since last night! I spent at least an hour after the show before I fell asleep, writing down all the little things I could remember. I've got a lump in my throat just thinking about the show - it was out of this world. Hands-down, the best concert I have ever been to (and I've been treated to a few good'uns recently!) It was three hours of pure heaven. When I wasn't bursting with happiness and singing along at the top of my voice, I was holding back tears of elation. Honestly. Words can't do it justice. Still, I'm gonna give it a shot. ;)

To set the scene, my mum and I boarded the coach yesterday at 11am, and arrived in a windy, grey and drizzly Birmingham at around 2.30pm. (Welcome to England, boys!) Just before I crack on with the review, I have to post this. At one of our stops, the coach pulled up alongside this. I couldn't resist taking a photo!

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/Lulabelle_/tbsfireprotection.jpg

Fire protection, huh? I wonder what trading standards would say if they knew that "TBS" was setting growing numbers of Borderers alight on a daily basis...? ;)

Back to our arrival... We found our hotel without much hassle and had time to shower and glam up a bit there, before heading down to the bar for a drink and something to eat. I had a bowl of fries and a mouthful of portabello mushroom, which was a step up from the two lettuce leaves I managed pre-show in Oklahoma! Luckily the weather had brightened come 6pm, and we had a decent ten-minute walk to the venue - excitement growing.

We grabbed a couple of drinks and a programme, and made our way to our seats. As we approached them my heart was thumping - I had no idea they were going to be so good! We were Row J, which somehow turned out to be the 8th row, and Block A - the left-hand block on the floor. I'd imagined that we would be way over to the left, because our seats were 3 & 4, but we were actually seated in the aisle closest to the center! I even saw my mum's eyes bulge a bit when she realised what a good spot we were in! From that moment on, I was just on Cloud Nine.

The show started five minutes or so late, and by that point I was so ready to see the guys! The lights dimmed, the audience went wild, and we saw figures emerging from the wings. I spotted Don in the shadows and immediately gripped my mum's hand (I don't think I caused any lasting damage this time!) When the lights went up and How Long began, my heart was in my mouth. The stage was so bright and I couldn't believe, after all this anticipation, they were right there in front of me. They looked so handsome in their suits, and Don's face had a little smirk on it most of the opening track, while he was playing guitar. They were effortlessly cool. Believe it or not, I did take my eyes off Mr. Henley for a while, and devoted a good portion of the show to studying the others!

Timothy was right in front of me for most of the show, so I watched him a lot. He was on fine form, and he had a kind of stronger presence than I'd perhaps realised before. His voice was just as sweet, but it had an earthier, slightly grittier quality to it live, which I really liked. He kept doing a cute little eyebrow raise, which I thought was adorable! Tim and Don had quite a bit of interaction and Don had a good old chuckle about something Tim whispered to him quite early on. I love those kind of moments!

Glenn seemed in great spirits, especially during the intros and as Joe warmed up. He just seemed very 'solid' and like he was concentrating on making every single note sound perfect. The passion and concentration really showed in his face. He welcomed the audience and pronounced Birmingham in a very British way, which was cute! He made the usual comments about this being the Eagles' 'Assisted Living Tour', and then gave way to Tim for I Don't Want To Hear Any More.

Now, I've always said that I would rather hear Do Something live than IDWTHAM, but I have a newfound appreciation for this song after hearing it live. I adore the way it begins, and Tim sang it so beautifully. What really struck me was the passion in the guys' faces as they did the backing, too. Each one was completely into it, and it was as if they meant every word. I watched Don sing "I've been here before" and it made my heart melt! They really were giving it their all. There were numerous times during this concert when I really felt awed by the talents of all four of the guys, and ultimately, how they played together and complemented each other. Last night fully made me realise what an incredible band they are, and how lucky I was just to be there.

Next was Guilty Of The Crime, which I've always liked. It's just a great, fun song - and perfect for Joe. I have to say... I'm a little bit in love with Mr. Walsh after last night (put the gloves away, Walsh Worshippers - I said 'a little bit'!) ;) He just ROCKED. From the beginning, he was smiley and playful, and watching him with that guitar live was something else! The two main moments when I got emotional were during the acoustic set, Waiting In The Weeds in particular, and when Joe really let rip on that guitar. My reaction to the latter almost surprised me, but it just took everything to another level. I could have listened to him play all night. I noticed that Don really seemed to enjoy GOTC, too.

Hotel California doesn't need much of a write-up! It was superb. I was lucky enough to hear Don sing it in Oklahoma, but obviously having the whole band there made it that little bit more special. The audience was almost exclusively made up of middle-aged couples, which surprised me a bit, as I thought there might be more of a mix. They were a bit quieter than maybe I'd have liked at first, but they got into it soon enough. Lots of blokes yelling for Joe! Don got the loudest and longest applause in the band intros, and he did an adorable regal wave and bow, before sitting there at the drums, smiling and looking at Tim and Glenn. He seemed quite humbled by it. I wish I could have taken a photo of that gorgeous smile, but the only downside to last night was how strict the security was with cameras. Nobody - and I mean NOBODY - after the first few minutes, took any photos. There was a security guard right in front of us and he jumped on anybody who took a picture straight away. It was a shame, but it wasn't worth the risk. I did get a couple at the very end, during Desperado, when people obviously decided "what the hell!", but they're not as clear or as many as I'd have liked. A nice little reminder for me, though! I'll post 'em at the end.

Glenn got the audience singing along with Peaceful Easy Feeling and Lyin' Eyes - I'd say Lyin' Eyes was when the audience really got going. It was emotional listening to everyone singing so loudly and knowing every word. This was the one that got my mum, too. It's probably her favourite. Glenn's voice was beautiful and he was so charming in the intros. The "we did everything fast back in '75" line got quite a few excited whoops and whistles. (I tried to restrain myself, but I just couldn't! ;)) Witchy Woman was gorgeous, another one I was lucky enough to hear in OK, and In The City was fantastic. I always think of Hell Freezes Over when I hear this song. There was a woman right in front of Joe who held up a little sign saying "SPARE GUITAR PICKS WANTED" when he was doing his solo! Glenn was right behind Joe, saw it immediately, and started to laugh. He seemed to think it was cute.

After In The City came one of my favourite parts of the whole show. The Long Run. Oh God, I love seeing that man doing his thing out front! And he did! He was so enthusiastic, animated, and seemed to really enjoy himself. This was the first time that people stood up, so naturally I did too, and it was great - there was nobody standing in front of me, so I had a clean view to the stage. The arena was bright and it almost felt like I could have touched him. Almost! I did get quite a few looks though, and a smile (the benefit of having only a handful of people standing) so that made my night. He was right in front of me during the 'ain't shaking' part, and he did the cutest little shaking movement right next to Glenn. I can't even describe it, but it was freaking adorable! :heart: I love his little soul man routine at the end - "just a little bit faster" with the feet shuffle! I might have to watch F1 right after I've posted this, just to see it again!

I've got to say... I didn't mind the suits at all. Obviously the music and the sheer presence of the Eagles would override any fashion mistakes anyway, but I thought they looked great! Maybe the fact that they were so warm and animated helped to take away that 'formal, stuffy' vibe... but I feel much happier with the suits than I did previously! Given the choice, I'd still go with jeans, but I really think the guys wear the suits well. It only looks a bit incongruous with Joe when he's really rocking out. Going casual midway through, as many of us have discussed for a while, would be perfect! All IMHO, of course.

The interval went by quickly, and the guys took the stage again for No More Walks In The Wood. The acoustic set was beautiful, and it was when I felt the most emotional. I had to fight back tears a few times. NMWITW was stunning, and Waiting In The Weeds really felt like something special. The lyrics to that song never fail to amaze me. Don's voice was a bit rough at certain points in this song, but to me it just made it all the more emotional - and sexy! His face on the screen, in that suit, with the stubble and the shorter, mussed hair... Sigh.

No More Cloudy Days went down really well with the audience. I always think Glenn sounds so sweet on this song. Then it was Tim's turn to speak. He said "Hello Birmingham!" and I saw Don sitting next to him in the dim blue lighting, watching him. There was a bit of a pause while Don said something, and Tim kind of faltered a bit and went... "And, er... hello... all other parts of... England." He looked a little embarassed and said "He (Don) just told me that not everyone here is from Birmingham." Don was chuckling and it cracked me up. I could totally imagine Don leaning forward, eyebrow raised, murmuring "They're not ALL from Birmingham, Tim." LOL!

Take It To The Limit was another crowd-pleaser, and it had a real nostalgic feel to it. Next was LROOE. I've loved this song since I first heard it and I couldn't wait to hear it live. People got to their feet as soon as it ended to applaud - it was magnificent. Don's voice was still a little rough, but it worked. By the 'road to Mandalay' bit, I was on another planet! Incredible. And very moving. Don was very sexy during this song too. At one point, he was doing these kind of short, powerful strums where he... well, thrusted might be wishful thinking... but he had a bended-knee, hip thing going on, that was just plain HOT!

Somebody, Walk Away and OOTN continued the hotness! The guys, now jacket-less, rocked. Glenn sounded awesome on Somebody, and I loved watching Tim & Don doing the backing. It didn't hurt that they were sharing a mic right in front of me! They looked like they were having a lot of fun. Walk Away was another opportunity for Joe to shine, and the audience lapped it up. The band intros were great. As I said, Don got the longest and loudest applause, although Joe was a very close second. Don's little varying drumrolls were adorable, and Tim's introduction of Glenn as "the man of a thousand jokes" made me chuckle. LOVED Glenn's introduction of Joe, all the "known to the FBI and hotel owners all over the world" stuff! Very funny. Joe was wandering around the stage, pulling faces and holding his arms out like "What?! What did I do?" and then he proceeded to grab a box of tissues that was on stage and rip the tissues out one by one, really fast, throwing them over himself like confetti!

Joe then greeted the audience, saying that if he'd known he'd still be playing this next song so many years later, he'd have written something different. He said "All I can say to any young, aspiring musicians out there is... It's in 'A'." (audience laughter) "Try 'A'. I made a lot of money out of 'A'."

We were on our feet again for Life's Been Good, and the usual F1-style banter ensued. I love watching Glenn & Joe in this section - they just look like they're genuinely having fun. Cheeky and playful! The helmet cam came out and we got a close up shot of Don on the screen, leaning over his drums to look into the camera, with an adorable frown on his face! Then Joe's came up on the screen, blue-tinged, bobbing up and down to try to avoid the camera. He then bent down, looked right into it, and winked. Very cute!

The intro to Dirty Laundry got everyone going again, and Tim did a good job of getting the audience clapping! I'm amazed by how youthful Tim looks - even the way he wears his suit is just him. He's got his own style, and he looked great last night. Don and Joe were adorable during the intro. Don walked towards Joe, with his arms out, doing big, alligator-jaw claps, while Joe reciprocated, then Don started to deliberately miss his own hands and cross his arms. Then they put their elbows up to each other and kind of sidestepped and had a little mock-scuffle. Have I used the word 'cute' much in this review? :inlove:

I feel like I'm repeating myself here, so I think I'll draw this to a close... Suffice to say that Glenn gave Heartache Tonight everything, and really got the crowd going. I love the way he clenches his fists when he sings. He's got some passion, that man! The encore had everyone up on their feet, but it kind of went by in a blur for me. I knew it was the last couple of songs and I was trying to concentrate on the stage, whilst sorting out my camera and attempting to get at least a couple of good pictures... Still, it was fantastic. They spent a good while at the end, wandering to each corner of the stage, waving and blowing kisses goodbye. They seemed genuinely humble and appreciative of the audience, and it really warmed my heart. You hear so much about the guys appearing serious, formal, etc, but I didn't see a shred of evidence of that last night (which kind of surprised even me!) They put on the most spectacular show I have ever seen.

It was hard leaving the city, knowing that they were still there (performing in the same venue right now, in fact) but I can honestly say the PEW/PDW hasn't really sunk in yet. I'm still high on the memories and the whole vibe of last night. I feel so lucky to have had the chance to see them, and it increased my love and appreciation for them in so many different ways, tenfold. They were out of this world.

Now, last but not least, the pictures. I'm afraid I literally only got a couple of decent ones (Tim & Joe fans, I apologise!) but at least I got something.

Glenn doing his 'Feed the World' bit! ;) Lisa, I hope this helps a little with the PGW. I had you in mind when I took it, as you were so lovely with phoning me during your concerts. I know there'll be a healthy number of Borderers who will enjoy this too, though!

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/Lulabelle_/glenndesperado.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/Lulabelle_/timglenndon-3.jpg

Saving the best 'til last... (It's a matter of opinion, I know!) ;)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/Lulabelle_/dondesperado7thjuly09.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/Lulabelle_/dondesperado2.jpg

Swoon! What a night.

luvthelighthouse
07-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Oh Troub, I felt like I was right there with you. What an way of selling a review. You really take the reader in.

Obviously, it was fabulous. Thank goodness they guys are reading this board and brought back Somebody. :hilarious: Glenn really does rock that song. I know it's not my favorite, but seeing it live takes it to a higher level.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful expierence.

EagleLady
07-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Oh Lou, Sounds like You had a wonderful time :thumbsup:

Glennsallnighter
07-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Awww Lou! I'm delighted you had such a good time I really am. Your pre gig anticipation was so infectious as were the texts you sent prior to the gig. And those seats sounded fantastic. Sounds like once again our boys made a spectacular show and I'm delighted that Glenn :heart: looked and sounded so hot. Thanks so much for risking the camera nazis for those pics.

I'd say they are just about finishing in Birmingham now........

Wonder what plans they have for the rest of the week????? :wink:

Prettymaid
07-08-2009, 06:50 PM
:yay: Yay Lou, I knew you'd love it!!! How did it feel when the lights came up and there they were, right in front of you, singing How Long? It's almost like an out of body experience, isn't it? And it's so sweet that you admit to falling in love with Joe just a little - he's awesome!

Thanks for the wonderful review (I was clinging to every word!) And I forgive you for not getting a picture of Joe - we haven't yet set up that bail fund!

sodascouts
07-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Thank you so much for your detailed review, Lou. I loved reading it and I'm so glad the show was all you dreamed it would be and more! Great photos of Glenn and Don... LOL about "Feed the world" - Do they know it's Christmastime at all? ;)

Freypower
07-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Yeah. Rule Britannia. There is hope for you yet. :thumbsup:

Freypower
07-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Magnificent review Lou. Thank you.

Koala
07-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Thank you so much for this wonderful review! :)

anne-o-gg
07-09-2009, 12:44 AM
That was a truly fabulous review! I, too, was glued to every word and I felt like I had seen it with you!!! So happy that you had such a good time. Next time I see them, I WILL have a good seat like this! :thumbsup:

Koala
07-09-2009, 12:50 AM
Great review, thanks for posting!
Here can you see a few pics:
http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-videos-pictures/birmingham-picture-galleries/2009/07/08/the-eagles-at-the-nia-arena-97319-24104587/

TimothyBFan
07-09-2009, 07:28 AM
Louise---I am so very very happy that you enjoyed yourself so much!!! Wasn't it just everything you've heard and more? I also want to hear EXACTLY how you felt at that moment when the lights go up and the first chord of How Long plays and they are literally right there in front of you!! Amazing isn't it? Thanks for the Timmy details-made me feel like I was right there again! I know these next few days will be emotional (they always are for us here on the Border) but hold onto those memories to get you thru!!

BTW--just going on the record here as saying I would LOVE LOVE LOVE some TBS Protection!!!!

Troubadour
07-09-2009, 07:49 AM
I bet you would, Willie! ;)

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the review. I tried to mix it up as much as possible, but in reality there's only so many ways you can say "THEY WERE AMAZING!" As for how I felt when the lights went up... Like I said, I was so ready to see them by that point. I saw their silhouettes walking on stage and I thought I was going to burst! When the lights went on, I was almost stunned for a few seconds. It was so bright and I could see every detail of their faces... It was like an out-of-body experience, but at the same time, it was so real. They were there, solid and full of presence and charisma, right in front of me. My mum commented on how good they looked, and that they haven't really changed throughout the years. It's true. When Glenn started to sing, I was just so happy. That's what I felt for the rest of the night. Pure joy.

cynd1231
07-09-2009, 08:46 AM
Oh, Troub, I'm just totally blown away by your incredible review! I wish the media people had your flare. And thank you, thank you, thank you a a thousand times for sharing everything in such detail. Makes me feel like I was right there with you. Savor those memories. If you're like me, when you listen to an Eagles tune you'll close your eyes and be transported right back to that arena........it's heavenly. LOVE YOU, GIRL!

Prettymaid
07-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the review Willie and the photos Koala! Very nice!

ticky
07-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Lou, What a fantastic review! I am so happy you had such a great experience and it really makes me anxious to see them. You'r pictures are great (even though they seem to be missing something *G*)
All these reviews are the only things holding me together while I wait.. and wait .. and wait... (not whining.. just waiting...)

Troubadour
07-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Aw, lovely review! Although I think they're pretty thrilling, visually ;)

Prettymaid
07-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Ticky, we are your biggest cheerleaders! The day they announce West Coast dates I will acually do a happy happy naked dance! (Yes, that's right - right here on the Border!)

Brooke
07-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Ticky, I feel for you girl! Surely they will come your way someday soon.

Geez Louise! What a perfectly wonderful review! I was hanging on every word and wishing I could have been there with you. I'm so glad it was all you hoped it would be and you had such good seats and could see everything so well. They are quite the amazing band, are they not?! Boo, hiss to security!

Now, I have to get F1 out and look for that shuffle of Don's in TLR! See there, I've missed something! Hopefully, he did it back then, or maybe, there will be a vid of this show come up! :pray:

Peekaboo
07-09-2009, 03:10 PM
My oh my, Lou!!! That was fantastic review!!:thumbsup::thumbsup: I love how you described the guys as being "effortlessly cool." That was a perfect description of them. I'm so thrilled for you that you a had a great time, with the exception of those darn camera nazis. They can be somewhat of a party pooper :tonguewag:.

That first moment of seeing the lights come on and the boys playing How Long is going to be with you forever!!! That moment right there has taken my breath away each time.

luvthelighthouse
07-09-2009, 06:01 PM
I do not understand why some venues are camera nazi's while others, like the show a few days earlier let people have camera's as long as it wasn't "professional" equipment. :shrug:

eaglesvet
07-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Troub, your review was awesome. Reminds me that it's been over a year since I saw my first LROOE show, and probably just about a year since I began lurking on this site. And the rest, as they say, is history.

Great that you could enjoy the show with your mom, too!

scottishlass
07-10-2009, 05:02 AM
there wasnt no one fighting around you was there lol. i heared there was a scuffle at one of the birmingham gigs.

im not to happy with t hese jobs worth security people, telling people to sit down all the time, im thinking if people stand they willhave to work themselfs. this camera thing was anoying, let people take few pics and they be happy. ok fimling ok we all do it or have done it, but to video tape it on camcorder how can you watchthe show doing that.

security should not of thrown people out for taking pics, the band and security in glasgow seen fans taking pics right at front and nothing was said, further back the pitch people were getting told off lol.

this was at most concets few people at most were getting thrown out, i would be more for thrown out the annopying drunk people who kept banging into people.

even tim was teling people to stay standing inglasgow, of course everyone listened to tim, not the scurity who after few songs gave up tellingpeople to sit down, cause it wasnt happening everyone wanted to stand, i know i did people lketo stand at concerts

TimothyBFan
07-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Here's another decent one from Birmingham

http://www.birminghampost.net/life-leisure-birmingham-guide/birmingham-culture/music-in-birmingham/2009/07/09/eagles-at-the-nia-birmingham-65233-24115018/

Maleah
07-17-2009, 02:31 AM
Lou, What a fantastic review! I am so happy you had such a great experience and it really makes me anxious to see them. You'r pictures are great (even though they seem to be missing something *G*)
All these reviews are the only things holding me together while I wait.. and wait .. and wait... (not whining.. just waiting...)

Oooooh wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait wait, wait, wait, waaaiit.....wait......we don't love to wait. But I'm waitin' right along with you for the dates on your side of the world Ticky! My Eagles buddy and I were just talking today about needing to go to another show and I was like.....I know the perfect one we need to go to when they announce it. ;)

Glennsallnighter
07-17-2009, 05:39 PM
I do not understand why some venues are camera nazi's while others, like the show a few days earlier let people have camera's as long as it wasn't "professional" equipment. :shrug:

Its obviously more a 'Venue' thing than an Eagles thing. Maybe its to do with insurance, or maybe its a blanket thing, that as SOME groups don't allow photography they apply it to everyone. IMHO I don't see why people can't snap away for private use. I can understand the pro's getting a bit annoyed if an amateur was by stroke of luck to get a 'better' pic, but still, why ruin it for everyone. I think too that as everybody now has a mobile phone with a camera facility its getting impossible to 'police' anyway.

Ive always been a dreamer
07-19-2009, 12:07 AM
I haven't had much "board" time lately, so I am just getting around to reading everyone's reviews. I started from the oldest one, so Lou, yours is the first one I've read this entire month, and it was well worth the wait. Your energy and enthusiasm came through with every word you wrote. I am thrilled for you and so glad that you got to see your first Eagles concert. It is truly an amazing experience that you will never forget. :thumbsup: