U2
Van Halen
Van Morrison
Velvet Underground
WHO
Yes

MikeA
07-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Okay folks, we have our work cut out for us. We have 82 Bands or Artists nominated for consideration!

What I'm thinking is that instead of a "negative vote" we should go "Positive" at least for now.

In this round, Look over the list and pick out the 40 entries that you thing are the most significant out of the group of 82.

Remember, there is a lot more involved in this than "just" chosing the 40 that you "like" better than the rest. While Popularity should weigh in, it should NOT be the only attribute used to select your Top 40.

Things to consider and not in any particular order:

Popularity
Obvious

Introduction of new Style or Genre
Eagles with Country Rock

Introduction of Presentations in Concerts
Frank Zappa or DAvid Bowie

Influence on other bands/artists
Robert Johnson, Hendrix

Influence on Society
Beatles

Ability to crossover into different genres
Buddy Guy with Blues and Rock

Introduction of new Recording techniques
Beach Boys maybe

Inovation in instrumentation
Again, Beatles with sitar and orchestra

The above are just examples. Their "weight" has to be an individual choice by YOU, but at least consider those and other attributes when narrowing down the list. A great band or artist elgible for the #1 spot should exhibit or exhibit multiple attributes.

Tallying the votes is not going to be easy as I will have to analyze each post. So to help me out, submit your selection of artists in a post with nothing else in it. Please, no comments or justifications. You are certainly welcome and urged to make those type statements, but please do so in a separate post. That will make it easier for me to tally.

Also, Please submit your selections with each artist/band on a separate line and make the entries exactly as they are in the original list. If the original list says "The Hollies" then don't just say "Hollies". I'll be sorting all the lists together to tally them I think.

THANKS everyone, and Good Luck on your selections.

The next round may have a different procedure. I plan to list the Top 40 as the first post in a new Thread when we get it narrowed down after this first round.

luvthelighthouse
07-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Oh good grief that's a lot! I've pulled the main ones, but I still need like 30 more to go. I've enlisted a friends help for this first round, as I don't even know some of these artists.

Round two I'll be going solo. This is a lot of work Mike, so good luck to you. Also, saw the pics of your storm... ouch... looked like an awful lot of clean up!

MikeA
07-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Oh good grief that's a lot! I've pulled the main ones, but I still need like 30 more to go. I've enlisted a friends help for this first round, as I don't even know some of these artists.

Round two I'll be going solo. This is a lot of work Mike, so good luck to you. Also, saw the pics of your storm... ouch... looked like an awful lot of clean up!

I've made my initial cull for a top 40 but need to review it. Like you, I actually had trouble keeping 40. I might should have started off with each person just picking 20. But, for the first round, I wanted to get what should be a large variety for the next round so we could spend more time really digging into the accomplishments and contributions of the bands we select.

I'll go on record now and say that I have two front-runners picked and they will NOT be popular. One of them was NOT popular but had so much influence on the groups following them that they cannot possibly not be considered to be one of the greatest things that has ever happened to music. Not up to Beatles influence but very likey first runner up to them!

TimothyBFan
07-10-2009, 12:24 PM
I have a couple questions---- I plan on getting to at least part of this this afternoon, but when do we need to get our first round votes in by? Have you sat a deadline yet?

Also, are we to put them ranked the way we want 1-40 or would alphabetical work for you?

Also, Mike, thanks very very very much for coming up with this. This is my kind of thing! But it is going to be a lot of work for you so please do not hesitate to call in help if you need help tallying or whatever. I will gladly lend my hand if it would help you out.

Ooohh ---let the fun begin of narrowing this list down!!!! :yay::yay:

ETA---Just looked at the list a little closer!~~~~ God Bless You for adding the Sweet!!!!:grin:

MikeA
07-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Let's give it through the weekend. Submissions will be closed Monday Morning so you'll have until let's say 7am CDT (-6 UT) Monday, July 13.

That is, unless anyone needs more time. I would rather this take longer than rush anyone into arbitrary selections. My list has changed a dozen times this morning <LOL> and I'm still reviewing and researching.

TimothyBFan
07-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Here's an example of what we are talking about here.

A couple 20 something friends of ours just dropped by for a few minutes and they had gone to that Dylan/Mellencamp/Nelson concert last weekend that my hubby and kids were at. Asked Larry how he liked it and Brandon the husband said he was so upset about how bad Dylan was but he had expected it and still had to go just to see the legend that he was such a fan of. We proceeded to talk about how he was such a poet and how he had influenced rock n roll as we know it. There were several points made such as how he had written All Along The Watchtower for Jimi Hendrix and that still to this day influences singers. Tiffany, who is a huge fan of Jewel, said she saw an interview one time of Jewel where she stated one of her biggest influences in the music world was Bob Dylan.

Just a little something for thought!!

MikeA
07-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Jewel where she stated one of her biggest influences in the music world was Bob Dylan.

Just a little something for thought!!

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout Willie! Thanks!

I just discovered I left out one of the key influencing groups in Rock history: The Yardbirds! Oh well, I closed nominations and wouldn't feel right about adding them now. But Page (Zep) and Clapton (solos and Cream) are in the list. Jeff Beck only became the 14th greatest guitarist of all time by Rolling Stone magazine though he really never developed the popularity of the others. Guess he had an attitude and couldn't stay in a band very long before attacking his equipment. Better that than one of the other band MEMBERS!

Imagine that! Here's a group that spawned three of the greatest guitarists EVER: Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck! Clapton went on from the Yardbirds to John Mayall's "Bluesbreakers" and from there to Cream after he and Ginger Baker "stole" Jack Bruce away from Mayall. I would have sworn that Ginger Baker was also in Mayall's circle! But apparently not. Hmmm, come to think of it, McVie, Fleetwood and a guitarist named Peter Green were also in the Bluesbreakers before leaving to form Fleetwood Mac! And, Mick Taylor (Rolling Stones) got his roots planted in the Bluesbreakers too and then Larry Taylor (Bassist from Canned Heat known as "The Mole") later joined John Mayall.

The Bluesbreakers never became terribly popular. Mayall was a Blues Purist pulling inspiration from the likes of Muddy Waters, Lightning Hopkins, Robert Johnson and the rest of the Black Bluesmen from the US. He absolutely insisted on just playing Blues with not a lot of deviation, but in doing this, he drilled his band members to the point of BEATING Blues into them. It is much to his credit that most of the Rock music today is based foundationally on the Blues Genre!

Now THAT's Influence in the Music Industry (Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, Cream and the Rolling Stones would not be the bands they became had it NOT been for John Mayall and in my opinion, Rock Music itself would not be what it is today.) The people who've been in the Bluesbreakers reads like a Who's Who of Rock.

MikeA
07-10-2009, 04:16 PM
MikeA's Top Forty

Aerosmith
Alman Bros
Aretha Franklin
BB King
Beach Boys
Bee Gees
Bob Dylan
Bob Marley
Bruce Springsteen
Buddy Holly
Byrds
Chuck Berry
CSNY
David Bowie
Dire Straits
Doors
Elton John
Elvis Presley
Eric Clapton
Fleetwood Mac
Frank Zappa
Grateful Dead
Heart
Janis Joplin
Jimi Hendrix
John Mayall's Bluesbreakers
Joni Mitchel
Led Zeppelin
Little Richard
Neil Young
Pink Floyd
Prince
Robert Johnson
Rolling Stones
Simon & Garfunkle
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Stevie Wonder
Supremes
The Hollies
WHO

MikeA
07-10-2009, 04:19 PM
I gotta tell you folks, I REALLY had trouble coming up with FORTY entrants that I thought really qualified as being the Greatest of All Times and toward the end, I had to resort to picking some of those that I just enjoy listening to even though I couldn't come up with a single contribution other than good music! These will definitely NOT make my Top Twenty.

luvthelighthouse
07-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Tell me about it Mike! I've been going back to my list all day. Some bands are great, just because they make good music and nothing else. They are popular because the music IS good and to some, that is all that matters. Who cares it they contributed to others, they just please the internal pallet.

In any case, I'm almost done. Oh, and for what's it worth... I'm having a hard time voting for those I'm not familiar with, even if they did contribute to several others, because to me, I can't consider them groundbreaking if I've never even heard of them. KWIM?

MikeA
07-10-2009, 04:54 PM
I'm having a hard time voting for those I'm not familiar with, even if they did contribute to several others, because to me, I can't consider them groundbreaking if I've never even heard of them. KWIM?

I do know what you mean. But if you could talk to the members of the bands you DO KNOW, they would tell you who influenced them greately and it might be someone you didn't know of.

John Mayall....I have most of his definitive works and while they are good Blues, they are nothing to write home about. And, he wasn't particularly popular with the record buying audience. But man, did that guy ever lay the foundations for the supergroups of the 60's and that carried on through subsequent history!

But even with all that said, Mayall isn't my #1 pick. He's up there though. Really high up there as having contributed more to Rock Music than most anyone...anytime.

Fan_For_Life
07-10-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm going to start with 22 and list the rest asap. I tried to list/group them in a way as to how I hear/see the influence. Might make it easier for future discussion.

Black Sabbath
Megadeth
Aerosmith
Run DMC
Bob Marley
Jimi Hendrix
P.O.D.

Nirvana

David Bowie
Queen
Pink Floyd
Who
Led Zepplin
Def Leppard
BB King
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Beach Boys
Elvis Presley
Aretha Franklin
Fleetwood Mac/Stevie
Michael Jackson
Madonna

edit to add the rest

Chuck Berry
The Hollies
Rolling Stone
Bruce Springsteen
Eric Clapton
C S N Y
CCR
Doors
Stevie Wonder
Bee Gees
Van Morrison
Heart
Alice Cooper
Ramones
Motley Crue

winging the last three

Supremes
Dolly Parton
U2

Freypower
07-10-2009, 07:10 PM
I have suddenly realised that this list includes a band called P.O.D. (Payable on Death). I have NEVER heard of them. I have never seen them even mentioned in Rolling Stone.

Oh I see. Looking at Wikipedia - they are Christian. No wonder. No disrespect to anybody, but this is not the type of music that I follow.

OK - now for my 40 entries. Incidentally I must congratulate Mike on the hard work that he is doing on this.

Aretha Franklin
BB King
Beach Boys
Bob Dylan
Bob Marley
Bruce Springsteen
Buddy Holly
Byrds
Chuck Berry
Cream
Creedence Clearwater Revival
CSNY
David Bowie
Dire Straits
Elton John
Elvis Presley
Eric Clapton
Frank Zappa
Grateful Dead
Janis Joplin
Jimi Hendrix
Joni Mitchel
Led Zeppelin
Little Richard
Marvin Gaye
Michael Jackson
Neil Young
Nirvana
Pink Floyd
Prince
Robert Johnson
Rolling Stones
Sam Cooke
Simon & Garfunkle
Stevie Wonder
The Clash
Van Morrison
Velvet Underground
WHO
Yes

MikeA
07-11-2009, 06:57 AM
A Psychiatrist would go completely NUTS over these lists :crazy: and I do NOT exclude my own! :cry:

Oh, P.O.D. I don't remember who submitted that nomination but I did think the original list should have been left open. I thought that they were probably Punk and I know nothing at all about Punk.

I would have stuck Phil Keagey in if I'd thought about it. He's a Christian artist who is unleashed fury on a guitar. Had a group called "Glass Harp" that was very contemporary and was from the Cleaveland area the same time James Gang made their move with Walsh. Phil is an amazing guy. He was once approached by Ted Nugent who wanted Phil to teach him some lick that he'd seen Phil perform. Phil said "sure" but not unless he could witness to him about Jesus. Nugent readily accepted! Phil was and still is highly thought of as a prodigy on the guitar who never fulfilled his potential. Well, I guess Phill has other goals and just cares absolutely about fame and fortune.

Fan_For_Life
07-11-2009, 08:22 AM
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn73/mega99_2008/Payable%20On%20Death/PODmyspace1.jpg

This is P.O.D. formed in 1992. The most mentionable cd is Satellite which was released on 9-11-01 and by now has gone 4 times platinum. Phil Keagy worked on their self titled cd. They have a mixture of musical sounds basically a form of alternative rock only with a lot more edge than most alternative bands out there. IMO one of the originators of this type of rock.

Brooke
07-11-2009, 09:59 AM
It's tough, but here's my 40:

1 Aerosmith
2 Allman Bros
3 BB King
4 Beach Boys
5 Black Sabbath
6 Bob Dylan
7 Bob Marley
8 Bruce Springsteen
9 Byrds
10 Chuck Berry
11 Cream
12 Creedence Clearwater Revival
13 CSNY
14 David Bowie
15 Doors
16 Elvis Presley
17 Eric Clapton
18 Heart
19 Janis Joplin
20 Jimi Hendrix
21 John Mayal's Bluesbreakers
22 Joni Mitchel
23 Kiss
24 Led Zeppelin
25 Little Richard
26 Lynyrd Skynyrd
27 Madonna
28 Michael Jackson
29 Otis Redding
30 Pink Floyd
31 Queen
32 Rolling Stones
33 Run DMC
34 Sam Cooke
35 Sly Stone
36 Stevie Ray Vaughn
37 Stevie Wonder
38 Supremes
39 The Animals
40 Who

TimothyBFan
07-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Willie's Top Forty:

Alice Cooper
Aretha Frankin
BB King
Beach Boys
Black Sabbath
Bob Dylan
Bob Marley
Bon Jovi
Buddy Holly
Chuck Berry
Cream
David Bowie
Doors
Elton John
Elvis Presley
Eric Clapton
Frank Zappa
Grateful Dead
Heart
Janis Joplin
Jimi Hendrix
John Maya's Bluesbreakers
Kansas
Led Zeppelin
Little Richard
Michael Jackson
Neil Young
Pink Floyd
Prince
Queen
Robert Johnson
Rolling Stones
Supremes
Sweet
The Animals
The Clash
The Hollies
Van Halen
Velvet Underground
Who

TimothyBFan
07-11-2009, 10:50 AM
A couple things about my list.

What's funny is at least half of my list are in no way my favorites. Examples: Neil Young, Velvet Underground, Who, Bob Dylan. Just don't really listen to them but yet they HAVE to be on the list.

In looking at my list, I know someone is going to say (or just think) "The Sweet, she only put them on there because she's such a huge fan!" Actually not, maybe not so much in the USA but overseas they were absolutely HUGE and the real start of Glam Rock (along with Marc Bolan and T Rex). Quite the influence on groups like Queen, David Bowie and Kiss --yes, I said Kiss. The members of Sweet and David Bowie were wearing makeup LONG before there was a Kiss or Marilyn Manson. And the guitar work! Great stuff! They didn't do their own writing early on (that was the team of Chinn & Chapman) but once they started recording their own stuff, they really became rockers more than Glam artist.

I sure wish I could of had honorable mentions. Those would be:
Nirvana
Madonna
Styx
Bee Gees
CCR
Lynard Skynyrd
Stevie Wonder

luvthelighthouse
07-11-2009, 11:23 AM
I pretty much have my list done, but it's the car and I don't feel like getting it.

I am however shocked that the Ramones are not making the cut here! They were pretty much the first Punk band. Sure, they aren't going to be #1, but I can't believe they aren't making first round cuts.

In a quick google search, they've been on a couple of top 10 lists... at least I'm not crazy thinking they belong here.

Fan_For_Life
07-11-2009, 12:05 PM
They are on my list. U.S's version of the Sex Pistols. Joan Jett has a cover of Blitzkrieg Bop, she played it last year when I saw her perform.

MikeA
07-11-2009, 06:41 PM
The tally is coming along with 5 lists submitted. There are several very unsurprising entries with 5 votes so far. And for the most part, I can make justification for all 5 of those as being huge contributors to modern music. It's going to be really interesting to see who makes the top 40.

When all lists are in (Monday Morning) I will provide a tally sheet with all the bands that were submitted that got votes along with how many votes they got.

luvthelighthouse
07-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Alice Cooper
Alman Bros
BB King
Beach Boys
Bee Gees
Bob Dylan
Bob Marley
Bruce Springsteen
Byrds
Chuck Berry
CSNY
David Bowie
Elvis Presley
Eric Clapton
Fleetwood Mac
Grateful Dead
Janis Joplin
Jimi Hendrix
Joni Mitchel
Led Zeppelin
Little Richard
Lou Reed
Madonna
Michael Jackson
Nirvana
Otis Redding
Pink Floyd
Poco
Prince
Ramones
Rolling Stones
Simon & Garfunkle
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Stevie Wonder
U2
Van Halen
Van Morrison
Velvet Underground
WHO

luvthelighthouse
07-12-2009, 11:07 AM
That was NOT easy! Also, again, I almost think popularity has to play into this somewhat. It reminds me of a local band I used to see play... someone did a write up and I quote, "the greatest band you've never heard".

To me, that's what some of this game seems like. Yes, some artists might be great, but if you've never heard of them how can they hold mass appeal?

In any case, thanks Mike for running this. I'm enjoying it so far and I know it's only going to get better.

MikeA
07-12-2009, 11:22 AM
I can see a potential problem in cutting the field to 40 entries with this first elimination. It is likely that there will be a tie for the last position which will leave two choices: #1 would be to take the first number that in total would be less than 40 which might leave us well short of 40 entries tied with one or two votes.

But to keep this "fair" I think I shall use the method employed by those running "golf tournaments". I will take the top 39 plus all ties for 40th. That might be an academic "rule" though. There may well not be 40 "different" groups or individuals that got at least ONE vote. If that is the case, we will go with how ever many entries got any votes.

However, if the "field" each gets at least one vote leaving a tie for 40th so that none are eliminated, we will eliminate those with ONE vote even if it leaves us with less that 40 entries for our TOP 40.

Does that sound fair? We should be making a significant cut with this phase of the exercise so I propose that we just wait for the results and see what sounds fair to everyone. Possibly we will have to have a secondary round consisting ONLY of those who got the fewest votes to pick the one for the lowest position on the Totem Pole.

Obviously, my pain killers are kicking in this morning and my brain isn't functioning on all 1.5 cylinders <LOL> because I'm rambling. Then, what else can you do when it is hot enough to make omelets IN THE GRASS outside!

Anyway, be thinking of the best way to get our field cut in half or as close to half as we can get it.

MikeA
07-12-2009, 11:40 AM
That was NOT easy! Also, again, I almost think popularity has to play into this somewhat.

ABSOLUTELY LTLH. POPULARITY does have to play a role. It is up to the individual to determine their justification for weighing that in with everything else to decide which band has had the greatest influence on Popular Music.

Consider: A band that has contributed "nothing" unique other than great vocals and great instrumentation and great presentation has to be considered to have had influence on the Industry. Even if that means that other bands see how popular they are, how much money they are making and decide to follow that pattern for themselves.

I think maybe instead of separating Solo Acts from Groups, I might should have broken the "contest" into two "award groups". One for the "Most Entertaining" and one for "Most Contribution".

"Most Entertaining" is definitely a measurable quantity based strictly on concert attendance (sic Aerosmith maybe?) or record sales (Fleetwood Mac possibly).

That would leave the grouping that I personally intended this to unveil and that would be the group or artist who no mater how popular, contributed significantly to the evolution to Rock Music. That was "My Bad" in not being clear as to what I intended.

Maybe the two groupings would end up with the same Bands or Individuals as the winning. I don't think so. But it is possible. Consequently, what we are doing here is prone to becoming a statement of which band or individual pleases those casting their opinions rather than an objective exercise in researching the backgrounds on 80-frickin-2 Bands <LOL>.

For instance....There is no question in my mind anyway that Fleetwood Mac and Led Zeppelin would by far run away with "Most Popular". The "numbers" don't lie. And, BTW, I am just a little surprised that Zep has received 6 votes as of this morning and Fleetwood Mac only 3. To me that sounds like (no pun intended!) that people casting votes really are thinking about contributions and not just which band is the most popular.

I myself listed Fleetwood Mac simply because of the Unbelievable Success they had. That HAD to have carried a lot of influence in subsequent bands and certainly bolstered the popularity of their kind of Pop-Ballad type music. Besides, I've always been halfway in love with Stevie Nicks <evil grin>.

But it is much more difficult to dig out which band or group, no matter how obscure, has had the most influence in making Popular Music what it is today.

I can "justify" contributions for the first half of my selected 40, but my second 20 of that number is strictly "gut". Subjective. That's why I stated that I really had trouble clearing my conscious about that last 20 I listed.

sodascouts
07-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Al Green
Aretha Franklin
BB King
Beach Boys
Bee Gees
Bob Dylan
Bruce Springsteen
Buddy Holly
Byrds
Chuck Berry
CSNY
David Bowie
Dire Straits
Dolly Parton
Doors
Elton John
Elvis Presley
Eric Clapton
Fleetwood Mac
Heart
Janis Joplin
Jimi Hendrix
John Mayall's Bluesbreakers
Joni Mitchell
Led Zeppelin
Little Richard
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Madonna
Marvin Gaye
Michael Jackson
Nirvana
Otis Redding
Poco
Queen
Rolling Stones
Simon & Garfunkel
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Supremes
U2

EagleLady
07-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Aerosmith
Al Green
Alice Cooper
Alman Bros
Aretha Franklin
BB King
Beach Boys
Bee Gees
Black Sabbath
Bob Dylan
Bob Marley
Bon Jovi
Boston
Bruce Springsteen
Buddy Holly
Byrds
Chuck Berry
Cream
CSNY
David Bowie
David Crosby
Def Leppard
Dire Straits
Dolly Parton
Doors
Elton John
Elvis Presley
Eric Clapton
Fleetwood Mac
Frank Zappa
Graham Nash
Grateful Dead
Heart
Janis Joplin
Jimi Hendrix
John Mayal's Bluesbreakers
Joni Mitchel
Journey
Kansas
Kiss

sodascouts
07-12-2009, 06:19 PM
John Mayall....I have most of his definitive works and while they are good Blues, they are nothing to write home about. And, he wasn't particularly popular with the record buying audience. But man, did that guy ever lay the foundations for the supergroups of the 60's and that carried on through subsequent history!

But even with all that said, Mayall isn't my #1 pick. He's up there though. Really high up there as having contributed more to Rock Music than most anyone...anytime.

Also, John McVie of Fleetwood Mac got his start in the Bluesbreakers. He was an original member, but left the band to join - you guessed it! - Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green and Mick Fleetwood. Trivia: Peter Green named his group Fleetwood Mac BEFORE John McVie joined. McVie was initially reluctant to leave the Bluesbreakers, and Green hoped he could lure McVie into his group by incorporating his nickname into the band name!

Ive always been a dreamer
07-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Aerosmith
Allman Bros
Aretha Franklin
BB King
Beach Boys
Bee Gees
Bob Dylan
Bruce Springsteen
Buddy Holly
Byrds
Chuck Berry
CSNY
David Bowie
Doors
Elton John
Elvis Presley
Eric Clapton
Fleetwood Mac
Frank Zappa
Grateful Dead
Heart
Janis Joplin
Jimi Hendrix
Joni Mitchell
Led Zeppelin
Madonna
Michael Jackson
Nirvana
Pink Floyd
Prince
Queen
Ramones
Rolling Stones
Simon & Garfunkel
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Stevie Wonder
Supremes
U2
Who

MikeA
07-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Also, John McVie of Fleetwood Mac got his start in the Bluesbreakers. He was an original member, but left the band to join - you guessed it! - Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green and Mick Fleetwood. Trivia: Peter Green named his group Fleetwood Mac BEFORE John McVie joined. McVie was initially reluctant to leave the Bluesbreakers, and Green hoped he could lure McVie into his group by incorporating his nickname into the band name!

I can't help but equate John Mayall with "Music" on the level of Juilliard for the Brit groups of the 60's. And without doubt, the Brits were the most influential factor of all in the 60's. Can we say "Redefinition?" Indirectly, his presence set the stage for final lineup of "The Yardbirds" with Clapton leaving them and Jimmy Page taking his place which ultimately resulted in Led Zeppelin.

The FUNNY thing is that Mayall had NO INTENTION of catapulting Rock into such a frenzy! He just wanted to play Blues and play it RIGHT. <LOL>

I have read so many books on the changing times of the 60's besides having "been there" myself. There is just no doubt that it was the decade from 65 to 75 that pretty much defined the music that I like. There have been "sub divisions" like "Psychedelic", "Metal", "Soft Rock", "Country Rock", "Punk", and all the others but mostly they are refinements of the "ROCK" that evolved from the Sock Hop type rock and roll back in the 50's and early 60's.

Besides pure Blues (Delta, Chicago, Texas, etc.) about the only other two genres were "Soul" or "Motown" and Country. I remember clearly (or at least foggily) going to clubs in the late Sixties where Soul bands performed until 1am and then the Psychedelic bands took the stage. This was in Dallas and after 1am, they stopped serving alcoholic drinks and let in anyone over 18. Soul was very popular...Sam and Dave, Aretha, James Brown...all that Motown and Soul sound. But after 1am, the music was Jefferson Airplane, Strawberry Alarmclock, Grateful Dead, Canned Heat and weak covers of Hendrix tunes (About the only thing most of them could do justice to was "Wild Thing" but that didn't stop them from trying!)...the "heavy" stuff.

I'm not sure quite where RAP came from. A lot of rhythm there and a lot of rhyme, but I could never get into that scene. I guess my tastes were formed and frozen by the end of the 60's and RAP and Punk and Industrial and even the Shredders and Heavy Metal came in after I'd gotten to the point that I could really appreciate them.

Prettymaid
07-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Aerosmith
Alman Bros
Aretha Franklin
BB King
Beach Boys
Bee Gees
Bob Dylan
Bob Marley
Bon Jovi
Boston
Bruce Springsteen
Byrds
Cream
CSNY
David Bowie
Doors
Elton John
Elvis Presley
Eric Clapton
Fleetwood Mac
Grateful Dead
Heart
Jimi Hendrix
Joni Mitchel
Journey
Kansas
Led Zeppelin
Lynard Skynard
Michael Jackson
Prince
Queen
Rolling Stones
Simon and Garfunkle
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Styx
Supremes
The Hollies
Van Morrison
Yes

MikeA
07-12-2009, 08:17 PM
POLLs are NOT CLOSED but I thought I'd give you a preview. The top vote getters so far are the following with each amassing 9 votes each. This does not include PrettyMaid's submission.

Oh, and we are NOT going to have any problem eliminating a big chunk of the original list of 82. In fact, there are 40 groups/names on the list that have at least 5 votes right now.

This is just going to get tougher and tougher.

BB King
Beach Boys
Chuck Berry
David Bowie
Elvis Presley
Eric Clapton
Jimi Hendrix

eaglesvet
07-13-2009, 01:58 AM
Just in under the wire:

Al Green
Aretha Franklin
BB King
Beach Boys
Bee Gees
Bob Dylan
Boston
Bruce Springsteen
Buddy Holly
Byrds
Chuck Berry
Cream
CCR
CSNY
David Bowie
Dolly Parton
Doors
Elton John
Elvis Presley
Eric Clapton
Fleetwood Mac
Grateful Dead
JM Bluesbreakers (purely on Mike arguments...never heard of the original
band, though obviously I've heard of its members!)

Journey
LedZep
Madonna
Marvin Gaye
Otis Redding
P M (Mike, I abbreviated this on my cheat-sheet here, and for the
life of me, I can't remember who it stands for...hopefully it's
clear to you as next in line alphabetically! :hilarious:)

Pink Floyd
Rolling Stones
Sam Cooke
Simon and Garfunkel
Stevie Wonder
Supremes
Clash
U2
Van Morrison
Who
Yes

What strikes me that I obviously threw aside personal opinion in music-listening-pleasure as my benchmark. There are more artists on here than not whose albums I don't own...and what's more, would not even care to own some of, even if given to me for free. I won't mention who those artists are... to protect the innocent. On the other hand, of course, are those artists of whom I own significant collections of their music!:partytime:

eaglesvet
07-13-2009, 02:01 AM
Ha!! It's a good thing I went back to check, Mike, because my handwriting left a little to be desired... PM was really MJ, which means my "missing" illegible vote was for Michael Jackson. Sorry!

MikeA
07-13-2009, 07:37 AM
That's cool Eva. I have my options set to show the last post made in a thread FIRST so I saw your note. I "fixed" PM to Michael Jackson.

And I totally agree with you. Something's wrong here...I'm "agreeing" WAY TOO MUCH with you ladies! Not like me. But when you are right, you are RIGHT!

There are many of the artists in our list that I would turn the music OFF rather than listen to it, HOWEVER, I do acknowledge that they did make significant contributions and with most of the genres, I like what subsequent groups did under the Original's influence. John Mayall is an example of that though he is one that I can listen to and sort of enjoy. He plays a mean harp!

MikeA
07-13-2009, 07:38 AM
Top Forty voting is CLOSED

as of 6:38am Monday July 13.

I will tabulate the results and post them here.

MikeA
07-13-2009, 08:07 AM
Sorry about the formatting, but that's the way Spread Sheet does it when it's cut and pasted into a text format. Let's catch our breath and discuss anything needing to be discussed concerning the results and then get into the next round.

OOPS! I see there is one error in the tally. Someone voted for "Clash" instead of "The Clash" and I missed it when proofing the entries. That wasn't the ONLY error made <LOL> but it is the only one I didn't catch and correct before the tally. It does not change the results so I haven't corrected it.

The following make up the Top Forty.

BB King 11
Beach Boys 11
David Bowie 11
Elvis Presley 11
Eric Clapton 11

Bob Dylan 10
Bruce Springsteen 10
Chuck Berry 10
CSNY 10
Jimi Hendrix 10
Led Zeppelin 10
Rolling Stones 10

Aretha Franklin 9
Byrds 9
CCR 9
Doors 9
Michael Jackson 9

Bee Gees 8
Bob Marley 8
Elton John 8
Fleetwood Mac 8
Grateful Dead 8
Heart 8
Janis Joplin 8
Joni Mitchell 8
Pink Floyd 8
Supremes 8
WHO 8

Buddy Holly 7
Simon & Garfunkel 7
Stevie Wonder 7

Aerosmith 6
Alman Bros 6
Cream 6
John Mayall's Bluesbreakers 6
Little Richard 6
Madonna 6
Prince 6
Queen 6
Stevie Ray Vaughn 6

Here are the ones "cut" getting 5 or fewer votes:

Frank Zappa 5
Nirvana 5
U2 5
Van Morrison 5

Alice Cooper 4
Black Sabbath 4
Dire Straits 4
Dolly Parton 4
Lynyrd Skynyrd 4
Otis Redding 4
The Hollies 4

Al Green 3
Bon Jovi 3
Boston 3
Journey 3
Kansas 3
Marvin Gaye 3
Neil Young 3
Ramones 3
Robert Johnson 3
Sam Cooke 3
Velvet Underground 3
Yes 3

Def Leppard 2
Kiss 2
Poco 2
Run DMC 2
The Animals 2
The Clash 2
Van Halen 2

Clash 1
David Crosby 1
Graham Nash 1
Lou Reed 1
Megadeth 1
Motley Crue 1
P.O.D.* 1
Sly Stone 1
Styx 1
Sweet 1

Prettymaid
07-13-2009, 08:25 AM
Ha!! It's a good thing I went back to check, Mike, because my handwriting left a little to be desired... PM was really MJ, which means my "missing" illegible vote was for Michael Jackson. Sorry!

Aw dang EV- for a minute there I thought you were voting for me! :shy:

TimothyBFan
07-13-2009, 08:26 AM
Of the artists eliminated, the only one that truly surprises me is Robert Johnson, and with only 3 votes! IMO, there probably wouldn't have been ANY Blues/Rock (Clapton, Aretha, Zeppelin, Bluesbreakers, etc...) if it hadn't been for him in the first place. I mean, the man sold his soul to the devil for rock fame at the Crossroads! :hilarious: Zappa is a bit surprising also.

Looks like we have a great list tho to work with from here.

BTW--who casted the one Sweet vote? :hilarious:

MikeA
07-13-2009, 08:43 AM
The omission of Robert Johnson in the top 40 surprised me too Willie.

BB King made it but Johnson was the real driving factor as far as the Musicians who were establishing the "new genre" of Rock back in the 60's were concerned.

King had success though, and his "name" is better known but he himself admits that he isn't a "great musician". What King has and has always had is a talent for Popularizing the Blues to the masses and is known as the Blues Ambassador. He is deserving of the votes he got from that perspective.

As we move into the next round, if there is someone in the lower echelons (or the higher ones!) now would be the time to "sell" them. And by the same token, if there is a group or individual in the top ranks that you do not think should be there, point that out and why you think that important to be considered.

Also, I am OPEN to suggestions as to how the next round should proceed. Should we cut it to the Top Twenty? More? Less?

luvthelighthouse
07-13-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm actually upset over two that didn't make the cut for a good reason.

Two bands on that list actually started a movement and they didn't make top 40... and that is just wrong! If you influence a whole movement, you obviously had a huge musical influence.

The Ramones were the first Punk band! (granted Stooges fans may disagree) They started the whole punk phase that still today hasn't died! Even Billy Joe Armstrong (Green Day) cites Johnny Ramone as being one of his biggest influences.

Also, I am not a fan, but Nirvana started the Grunge movement. They pretty much single handly took down all the hair bands and started a whole new sound and look to music. We went from big hair, make up and spandex to t-shirts w/flannels wrapped around their waist w/cargo pants. The dirty look was born again. The sound of music changed in the early 90's. It reminds me of something Sabastian Bach said, (sorry, don't have the direct quote) paraphrasing, "I thought Skid Row had finally made it and along comes Nirvana and I knew we were done".

I'm sorry, but to leave off The Ramones and Nirvana is criminal as they were MAJOR contributers to the music industry. I almost feel cheated that the rules weren't followed, because if they were, there is no way these two bands would have been omitted.

TimothyBFan
07-13-2009, 11:32 AM
LTLH-I respect your theories but I need to add a couple things.

Punk---I agree the Ramones were very big in Punk and instrumental with bringing it to the attention of the American youth, but I think Iggy Pop & The Stooges would dispute the fact that they started it. And how about MC5 and Velvet Underground. I remember reading once that Joey Ramone said that the Ramones actually took different aspects from these bands and created their sound.

Grunge---Again, agree that Nirvana was instrumental but I don't feel they were any more instrumental than bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden & Stone Temple Pilots. And I have heard often that Kurt Cobain said they had always thought of Neil Young as the godfather of Grunge.

Yes they were major contributors but I understand why they didn't make the cut. JMHO.

Prettymaid
07-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Maybe I shouldn't be playing. My knowledge of these bands is nonexistant!

luvthelighthouse
07-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Here's the thing, I think everyone is influenced by someone else... but when you are the First band to create a genre, you deserve recognition for it.

I don't disagee that Pearl Jam and STP were great bands, but they weren't the first band of Grunge. Nirvana has always been credited the first band of Grunge, no matter their influences.

Also, I stated during the nomination process, Velvet Underground was not Punk, even if they did influence the Ramones. As for Iggy Pop... I kinda look at him like this... he may have been a founding father but he didn't create the genre of mass appeal that the Ramones did.

It's similiar to calling the Eagles the first country rock band. They created the mass appeal of the genre, but those who really were the founding fathers never get the credit they deserve, ie: The Byrds, Richie Furay, Gram Parsons etc. To most, the Eagles would be considered the first country rock band, even though they weren't.

I think the next few rounds could get heated! Obviously, if we are on this board, we take our music to a passionate level! :hilarious:

MikeA
07-13-2009, 12:41 PM
I cannot justify NOT including either Ramones or Nirvana. I have to plead ignorance as I have not been a big fan of either Grunge or Punk. I did include Neil Young, but I have to admit that it was his involvement with CSN that brought him to mind.

We, and I include MYSELF specifically, will have to do a better job of "selling" our top selections. Especially those who I think should be "finalists" in this selection. I only hope that we can come to consensus final picks.

To be honest, I didn't think that we would eliminate major players in the first round.

MikeA
07-13-2009, 12:48 PM
I think the next few rounds could get heated! Obviously, if we are on this board, we take our music to a passionate level! :hilarious:

Ya THINK? LOL

I've read quite a bit about Laurel Canyon and the things that were going on there while the Eagles were groping for a way to develop their sound. Poco was really trying to get "Country Rock" defined but just never quite got there. I don't know if that was specifically WHAT the Eagles were consciously trying to get to, but it was as you stated LTLH, the Eagles who ended up making a successful blend of Country and Rock.

Now that we are trimming the list, it is going to get small enough that we can make more intelligent decision through research before committing to vote our selections. With 82 bands, it was just too overwhelming to consider reading up on each one. And, the thing is, their influence may not be apparent from just reading the Wikipedia statements about the band.

We are bound to make mistakes. Maybe BIG ONES. But the good that will come out of this ultimately, is that even with the mistakes we make, we are going to learn something from the exercise! I already have thanks to LTLH.

MikeA
07-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Maybe I shouldn't be playing. My knowledge of these bands is nonexistant!

No way Cathy! In the process of participating, you will gain more knowledge of groups and genres that you didn't have previously. That in itself is worthy of the effort.

No one here that I am aware of is any kind of authority on something as ambitious as what we've undertaken. I am just tickled pink that 11 people have stuck their necks out to generate a cut line, not to mention everyone who participated in the original nominations.

TimothyBFan
07-13-2009, 01:07 PM
We, and I include MYSELF specifically, will have to do a better job of "selling" our top selections.

VOTE FOR LED ZEPPELIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How's that? :hilarious:

PM---You better play!!!! It's gonna get fun!! I almost guarantee you that you will find a new artist to start listening to that you never gave a chance before. Remember how you rediscovered Cat Stevens? Maybe you'll get the chance again, to rediscover something/someone you had forgotten about!

One more thing for consideration--should we take a vote to see if we can add James Brown? I know we can't but I'm still feeling really GUILTY about that!!! :brickwall::oops:

MikeA
07-13-2009, 01:11 PM
VOTE FOR JIMI HENDRIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brooke
07-13-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm kinda feeling like Pm here. I know nothing about some of these people/bands. I will enjoy the learning, but I just don't have time for lots of digging.

But, when it all comes down to the end I have a good idea who I'm voting for.

Who can deny how great

the Rolling Stones

are......still.....after all these years?! :wink:

EagleLady
07-13-2009, 02:49 PM
and how incredibly Old they've gotten :hilarious:

Brooke
07-13-2009, 03:01 PM
and how incredibly Old they've gotten :hilarious:

Hey, EL, they're still rockin'! Just like many of the others on the list. :fingerwag:

EagleLady
07-13-2009, 03:03 PM
OH Yeah :headbang: I didn't mean anything by that, Just saying, They really look their age

luvthelighthouse
07-13-2009, 04:01 PM
I'm ready to get to round 2. I say we cut this thing in half again!

MikeA
07-13-2009, 04:45 PM
I agree LTLH....cut it to the Top Twenty.

Don't take it for granted that those with the current highest number of votes will end up with an automatic PASS to the Top Twenty.

I'm expecting to hear some heavy justifications to pump up these bands. I have probably 5 or 6 that without research I could justify in my own mind on contributions made. Hendrix, Stones, Zep, Clapton, and you already know what I know about the Bluesbreakers.

I strongly urge anyone interested in this, even if you are not casting a list, to jump in and make a case for bands you really think should be in the running. If nothing else, it might draw attention to those bands and open the eyes of the rest of us to something we might otherwise overlook.

I can't swear that I'll deeply research all Twenty of my picks, but I'm counting on everyone to do a little digging and then based on that, I may dig into ones I'd otherwise NOT dig into. That's what this is all about.

Who's MODERATOR her? BROOKE? I'll open up a new topic called GREATEST BAND ROUND #2 - Top Twenty and list those that made the first cut. Should we "lock" the current two topics so all posts concerning this will go to the right place?

Brooke
07-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Who's MODERATOR her? BROOKE? I'll open up a new topic called GREATEST BAND ROUND #2 - Top Twenty and list those that made the first cut. Should we "lock" the current two topics so all posts concerning this will go to the right place?

Soda is the moderator for this forum, Mike. Sounds good to me though.

eaglesvet
07-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Aw dang EV- for a minute there I thought you were voting for me! :shy:
LOL! Nope, just poor handwriting and a late night hour!