PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Band Round #3 the Top-Ten

MikeA
07-16-2009, 08:26 AM
Voting is now open for the TOP-TEN.
Voting will close Saturday Morning, July 18 at 7am.

Please make your top ten choices from the following 27 eligible contenders.

Aretha Franklin
BB King
Beach Boys
Bob Dylan
Bob Marley
Bruce Springsteen
Buddy Holly
Byrds
CCR
Chuck Berry
CSNY
Doors
Elton John
Elvis Presley
Eric Clapton
Fleetwood Mac
Grateful Dead
Janis Joplin
Jimi Hendrix
Joni Mitchell
Led Zeppelin
Michael Jackson
Pink Floyd
Queen
Rolling Stones
Supremes
WHO

luvthelighthouse
07-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Too hard, too hard! I am going to do some more research and compare some old notes, but this is too hard! This isn't about who I like, but their contributions... so it's very, very hard. If I had to just go by my favorite band, it would be easy, but that's not the case.

MikeA
07-16-2009, 10:07 AM
In the beginning, there was Gospel, there was Blues, and there was Country (or Hillbilly) and Chuck Berry contemplated it and it was good but not complete.

After Chuck Berry contemplated it, he pulled it all together and Rock and Roll was created.

Ya think that might be influential? <LOL> Corney, but in essence, it is TRUTH.

Mainly a Blues player with heavy Gospel roots, Berry started mixing in Country with his Blues a bit to gain a larger audience back in the 50's. He was playing mostly Blues...unsurprising for Black Musicians mainly played Black Club back in the days before Civil Rights leveled the playing field and in Black Clubs, Blues was the order of the day!

But as he mixed in the Country influence with the Blues, it didn't fit either category! Combine that with the antics he enacted on-stage and he became unique. Confusing, but UNIQUE and the Club Goers saw it and it was GOOD. Other musicians started noticing it, and it was GOOD!

Examples of those he influenced are too numerous to mention. I liked what Wikipedia quoted John Lennon as having said: ""If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'."

Early examples of his music I think must have been heard by everyone who listens to Rock and Roll....and if you haven't listened to it, you owe it to yourself to do so:

"Johnny B. Goode"
"Maybellene"
"Rock and Roll Music"

Folks, when you listen to this music and recognize it as Rock and Roll, you are listening to the "Big Bang!"

Whether or not YOU think Chuck Berry is the "Greatest" or not, it is simply impossible to justify NOT giving him high honors at least! Others may have taken what he started and carried it to astronomical heights, but it was Berry who built the launch pad!

MikeA
07-16-2009, 10:11 AM
Too hard, too hard! I am going to do some more research and compare some old notes, but this is too hard! This isn't about who I like, but their contributions... so it's very, very hard. If I had to just go by my favorite band, it would be easy, but that's not the case.

I understand. COMPLETELY. I think there is no one on the current list of 27 who doesn't deserve very serious consideration and I KNOW that I am NOT going to be able to whittle this list down to 5 eventually and have anything resembling a clear conscious!

EagleLady
07-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Janis Joplin
Jimi Hendrix
Joni Mitchell
Led Zeppelin
Michael Jackson
Pink Floyd
Queen
Rolling Stones
Supremes
WHO

MikeA
07-16-2009, 11:36 AM
To me, The Beach Boys are Brian Wilson.

Wilson...well quite simply speaking, he was a musical genius. The way he fit harmonies together. His evolved way of composing songs. The way he could produce an album! He had it all and the band he led (in SPITE of his domineering and greedy Father!) was the USA equivalent of the British Invasion.

It was pretty amazing that Wilson credits the Beatles for inspiring him with "Rubber Soul" in his compilation of "Pet Sounds"...possibly the greatest of all the works by Wilson and by many, considered to be in the top 5 of the greatest albums of all times. So, the Beach Boys' (and Brian Wilson's) greatest rival and inspiration in the Industry at the time (early '60s) was the Beatles, so was also the Beatles' greatest rival and inspiration none other than the Beach Boys! Paul McCartney confesses that the content of "Pet Sounds" was the inspiration for "Sargent Peppers" which by many is also considered to be one of the top 5 albums of all times!

In 1966, Brian Wilson's masterpiece "Good Vibrations" surfaced. I always thought it being close to "over produced" but there is no denying that it is anthem in quality.

Wikipedia quotes:

In contrast to his work on Pet Sounds, Wilson adopted a modular approach to "Good Vibrations" — he broke the song into sections and taped multiple versions of each at different studios to take advantage of the different sound and ambience of each facility. He then assembled his favorite sections into a master backing track and added vocals. The song's innovative instrumentation included drums, organ, piano, tack piano, two basses, guitars, electro-theremin, harmonica, and cello. The group members recall the "Good Vibrations" vocal sessions as among the most demanding of their career.

Remember that digital recording was not an option back then. All editing had to be done by cutting mylar tape and then taping the pieces back together and that was an ART in itself. To splice recording master tapes together with no pop or skip was NOT EASY. And any mistake made, required that the passage be recorded again!

Now, go listen to "Good Vibrations" and you might appreciate more what Wilson did with such primitive equipment! Amazing.

There is a LOT of Studio Magic listed in that paragraph. I'm thinking that where Jimi Hendrix's instrument was guitar, Brian Wilson's was the soundboard!

Brian had a LOT of baggage to haul around. Mental and Physical abuse by his Father had severe impact on Wilson...all of the Wilsons in fact. Breakdowns, anxiety attacks, and eventual drug abuse ended up virtually crippling Brian. Crippling? Hell, it almost KILLED him! We almost lost him in the late 70's and 80's.

So, with Wilson, I have about 12 groups in my top 5 <LOL>

MikeA
07-16-2009, 02:35 PM
"The WHO"

Okay, just who are the WHO? I mean aside for being known as one of the wildest "party bands" and aside from the techniques of DESTRUCTION of equipment as part of their stage act.

Even if the did not introduce the "Rock Opera" concept, they certainly took it point of perfection! That style was the dream child of Townshend and taken up by John Entwhistle as well. "Tommy" was just the first full album using that style of cohesiveness. "Quadrophenia" followed.

But it was the live performance that made them really stand out. LOUD was their style. Energetic...over the top...over the top in EVERYTHING! They were contenders along with the Beatles, Rolling Stones and Beach Boys for the most popular group of the Sixties. Their list of hits is a mile long and their songs still rattle around in the heads of just about everyone who grew up listening to Rock Music.

Their work inspired later groups in Pop, Metal, Punk and virtually every other sub-genre. The Rock Opera style was taken up by Davie Bowie, Pink Floyd and numerous other groups putting on elaborate stage shows.

To say the minimum, The Who literally Rocked the Music Business. Definitely a force to contend with and also one to learn from.

And to ice it of, Keith Moon taught Joe Walsh how to destroy Hotel Rooms. That has to carry a lot of weight <LOL>

MikeA
07-16-2009, 03:23 PM
"Crosby, Stills, Nash and sometimes Young"

When I think of CSNY, I think first of the incredible harmony parts that trio and sometimes quartet brought to the table. So reminiscent of the prominence of Folk music. But it was Folk on steroids! Folk-Rock. The Music scene of the late Sixties and early Seventies was at a crossroads. Country Rock was doing its best to figure out what it was. Psychedilia was on its way out. Hard Rock was thinking about coming into being. Folk Rock was the bridging factor and CSYN epitomized that genre.

These guys were the Masters in the newly acclaimed Singer-Songwriter breed of Musicians. It was Crosby who discovered Joni Mitchell.

Their music set the bar for writing songs that told a story based on the first hand experiences of the writer/performer. The music was real. It meant something. It was PERSONAL.

But Personal experiences included those "causes" they felt strongly about as well. They wrote an extensive list of songs dealing with political dissatisfaction and in particular the Viet Nam War. Their disgust and anger was never more evident than with "Ohio" following the Kent State Riots.

Each one of the members is in his own right a highly accredited musician but when they come together, they are something that far greater than the individual parts. Their harmonies have been sought after by just about every group who knows what harmony means and knows something about its structure.

At their prominence, only the Rolling Stones stood to be more popular and even that is questionable.

CSNY were the cross over group. One of the last to still be popular while sticking to the Folk Rock genre. They were and ARE a force to be reckoned with.

luvthelighthouse
07-16-2009, 04:14 PM
I'm trying to break it down by a few words that describe each of these legends when I hear their names. No doubt they are popular and have been so for decades. However, those I may enjoy the most may have had the least impact as I delve deeper into what they contributed. Perhaps they just sound really good. :)

Here's my take on the first 5 of list:

Aretha - Queen of Soul, 1st woman inducted into R'n'R Hall of Fame
BB King - King of Blues, popular Gibson guitarist
Beach Boys - Known for their hamonies, master of the soundboard and #1selling American band of the 70's
Dylan - Know best for his mature lyrics and redefining how songs were written. Only #1 song of his was Mr. Tamborine Man sung by the Byrds.
Bob Marly- Served as the catalyst fo todays Raggae influenced bands.

So, for me personally, out of those five, I think Dylan had the most influence. I love the Beach Boys and spent many years perferring them to the Beatles... so I'll have to go through the rest of the list before I can decide if they'll make my top 10 or not.

I'll try to do the next five on the list later on.

sodascouts
07-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Aretha Franklin
BB King
Beach Boys
Bob Dylan
CSNY
Elvis Presley
Fleetwood Mac
Janis Joplin
Michael Jackson
Rolling Stones

Freypower
07-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Aretha Franklin
Bob Dylan
Bob Marley
Byrds
CCR
Chuck Berry
Elvis Presley
Jimi Hendrix
Led Zeppelin
Rolling Stones

I found that relatively easy to do.

luvthelighthouse
07-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Next five and what comes to mind. These are not my picks, but just what comes to mind of their contributions:

Springsteen - Wrote to and about the working class, rocked it hard and wrote like Dylan - nothing groundbreaking, but boy does he have energy

Buddy Holly - Was pretty much the first one to explore all avenues of music. He broke the mold of the seperation of songwriters and performers. He wrote and produced his own music. This was not done at the time and now it's commonplace! Was said to have influenced the Beatles.

Byrds - First band to infuse country and rock. Different backgrounds from Bluegrass to Folk... they were America's answer to the British Invation

CCR - Nothing comes to mind!

Chuck Berry - Quoted (paraphrasing) "although no one person is said to have created rock and roll, but Chuck Berry comes the closest". Was amongst the first inducties into the R'n'R hall of fame. Influenced Joe Perry and Jerry Garcia.

I don't know why I'm doing this. Seems most people have their minds made up and some lists are already posted, so this won't influence them at all. Guess it's like talking outloud. From the above, Buddy Holly, IMO did the most out of that group.

TimothyBFan
07-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Anybody who is interested---right now is a show on Ovation TV called Jimi Hendrix American Landing. Talking to those who knew him and the things that led up to him arriving at the Monterey Blues Festival! Stumbled across it just now and it looks like it's going to be really good.

luvthelighthouse
07-16-2009, 11:13 PM
Next few on the list:

CSNY - One of the first "supergroups". They were the driving force of the counterculture and best known for their four part harmonies.

The Doors - Loved for Jim's cryptic lyrics the often had nothing to do w/the background music. As a promotional tool, they video taped their songs... thus inspiring the music video! (I thought that was interesting and something I didn't know) Said to have had an influence on both punk rock and grunge.

Elton John- In the world of the guitar, he was began the piano playing bassed rock.

Elvis - Lots of controversy due to him mixing (at the time) black and white music. (seems so odd to me, but I wasn't growing up in the deep south at the time) Mixed blues and gospel. The King ... an icon.

Eric Clapton - Hailed as a guitar god

Fleetwood Mac - I know there are many fans of theirs on this site, so I'm not really sure what to put here... I'm sure someone else would do a better job summing them up

Greatful Dead - Known for their marathon long concerts and improvised playing.

Janis Joplin - In the male driven rock scene, she paved the way for female rockers. Was wild and crazy and played by her own rules.

Jimi Hendrix - All the stuff Mike said about him he said so well... no need to repeat

Okay, that takes me through most of the list. Not sure if I'll add comments to the last eight or not.

Based on the "what did they contribute to music" basis, I did my homework. I have it narrowed down to 14 currently. It's hard though, because I don't like a lot of the artists musically that I'm choosing. Being from Chicago, I should love the blues... but my goodness, unless it's live I can't stand it! I enjoy blues bars, but listening to studio recordings... I just can't w/out getting a headache!

eaglesvet
07-17-2009, 04:22 AM
Aretha Franklin
Beach Boys
Bruce Springsteen
Buddy Holly
Chuck Berry
CSNY
Elvis Presley
Led Zeppelin
Michael Jackson
Rolling Stones

MikeA
07-17-2009, 08:29 AM
ARETHA FRANKLIN

I doubt there is anyone alive who does not know who Aretha Franklin is. I myself have very mixed thoughts about Ms. "Respect" though. Between 1966 and 1970, I was just graduating from High School and getting through college and then moved to Texas.

So much was going on musically at that time. The Folkies protesting Viet Nam. The Psychedelics trying to figure out if they or anyone else had a brain between them. The Country rednecks trying to pick fights with anyone who would accommodate them. The Black Blues crowd most who were walking around with a chip on their shoulder. And then the Soul Train came blowing through. I stayed confused trying to figure out whether Soul was a sub-set of Motown, was Motown, was Jazz or a derivative of Blues or maybe a Black version of Rock.

For sure, the people I knew either loved Soul or they loved Psychedelic but it was rare to encounter anyone who appreciated both. Since my love of the day was Blues, I wasn't emotional over either Psychedelic or Soul.

Now Soul wasn't the same as Blues. I felt that Soul was more a blend of Gospel and Blues but not just any Gospel....it was the reminiscent of the gospel sang in the Black churches...cool stuff! I think of Soul as the predecessor to R&B or maybe it Was R&B under a different name.

Whatever the case, Aretha Franklin was at the top of the pile in the late 60's. Possibly only James Brown gathered more of the spotlight than AF, but for me, Aretha's Soul Style took honors.

She was in a class that she pretty much created and comparing her to James Brown is not comparing apples to apples. Aretha's style was most heavily influenced by the Gospel Shouting Hell Fire and Brimstone inspired vocals coming from a choir with a soloist who must have been strung up from the rafters on the Saturday night before the service....had to do it well before the service to tone it down for mere mortal ears!

Regardless of whether "I" liked the music that Aretha sang or not, there is no doubt that a LOT of people did and her endeavors cannot have helped but cement R&B's appeal. But as for Aretha herself, I can't look at her style and stick it into a box. Her talent far exceeded "Soul" and her capabilities are so enormous that I think she could and probably has, done just about anything vocally that can be imagined.

TimothyBFan
07-17-2009, 08:51 AM
Last night on Ovation TV, after the Jimi Hendrix show, they had a special with James Brown, Little Richard, BB King, Bo Didley, Jerry Lee Lewis and several others. WOW is all I can say!! Absolutely amazing all of them were. Glad I caught it!!!!

I think I've got my list under control and will post it in a few minutes. I want to get it done so I don't scratch and rewrite any more!

MikeA
07-17-2009, 09:28 AM
Quite a line up of artist there TBF! This has been a great couple of weeks for me. Like an interlude reminiscing years gone by!

FLEETWOOD MAC

I'm sort of in the same boat as LTLL concerning Fleetwood Mac. I think I have all their albums. They are one of the groups that spans decades and that spans genres. I guess I can call the original lineup with Peter Green a Brit Blues band. But the Fleetwood Mac that I know and love was Pop or "Soft Rock" with Nicks and Buckingham in the lineup.

I've struggled to find innovations or ground breaking performance characteristics which along with popularity are the criteria I'm trying to use in making my own selections in this exercise we are undertaking here. Either I'm missing it, or it isn't there.

Their popularity is unquestioned. They have a resume as being one of the top selling groups to date. Harmonies and lyrics and style exude from each performance as a live show. Nicks particularly is one of the most prolific song writers EVER.

For me personally and probably for a lot of people, the softer sound of the band in the mid-seventies was a welcome relief after the hard driving tone of the music of the late sixties and early seventies. A relief from all of the protest stuff. Sort of like coming out of a huricane at sea in a small boat that you thought you'd never escape from alive and finding yourself in a calm lagoon with dolphins and tropical birds singing! That is NOT a BAD THING!

TimothyBFan
07-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Willie's Top 10:

Aretha Franklin
Beach Boys
Bob Dylan
Doors
Elvis Presley
Jimi Hendrix
Led Zeppelin
Michael Jackson
Pink Floyd
Rolling Stones

MikeA
07-17-2009, 09:52 AM
MikeA's list.

Beach Boys
Bob Dylan
Buddy Holly
Chuck Berry
CSNY
Elvis Presley
Jimi Hendrix
Led Zeppelin
Rolling Stones
WHO

luvthelighthouse
07-17-2009, 10:55 AM
LTL's Top Ten:

Bob Dylan
Buddy Holly
Byrds
Chuck Berry
Elvis Presley
Janis Joplin
Jimi Hendrix
Led Zeppelin
Rolling Stones
WHO

MikeA
07-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Interesting results but not surprising. Of course, there is almost 24 hours before we close the Top Ten voting, but for now the following. The "bold" entries are the current "top ten". Those with 3 votes are tied for last place.

I have no idea how in the world I'm going to be able to pick ONE out of "my" top 5 nor now to even rank them. It isn't even going to be easy cutting my own list to 5 groups! I'm sort of hoping that some of my top 5 will be eliminated in this or the next round just to make it easier.

Rolling Stones 7

Elvis Presley 6
Led Zeppelin 6

Bob Dylan 5
Jimi Hendrix 5

Aretha Franklin 4
Beach Boys 4
Chuck Berry 4
Michael Jackson 4

Buddy Holly 3
CSNY 3
Janis Joplin 3
WHO 3

Byrds 2
Pink Floyd 2

BB King 1
Bob Marley 1
Bruce Springsteen 1
CCR 1
Doors 1
Fleetwood Mac 1
Joni Mitchell 1
Queen 1
Supremes 1

Brooke
07-17-2009, 12:31 PM
Beach Boys
Bob Dylan
Byrds
Chuck Berry
CSNY
Elvis Presley
Jimi Hendrix
Led Zeppelin
Michael Jackson
Rolling Stones

TimothyBFan
07-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Wow-The Stones leading all votes so far! That's kind of surprising I think! I wonder why that would be. I mean I have them on my list also but I'm kinda suprised so many others do also! I really figured at this point it would be Elvis in the lead for some reason.

MikeA
07-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Wow-The Stones leading all votes so far! That's kind of surprising I think! I wonder why that would be. I mean I have them on my list also but I'm kinda suprised so many others do also! I really figured at this point it would be Elvis in the lead for some reason.

A bit surprised myself, but not all that much. While I think there are 3 or 4 contestants who actually contributed more, when you figure in popularity, the Stones carry a LOT of weight!

Elvis was not the focus of POP or ROCK in the Seventies really, though he did have a huge following. He just wasn't known well for innovation though that was an invalid attitude about him. His style was his innovation and he did it so well that the masses fell in love with him and accepted his style without even thinking about it being something no one else was doing.

The Stones on the other hand, have been around since the early '60s and gained popularity as the "Bad Boys" and being part of the increasingly popular British Invasion, and because of that, drew a lot more attention, especially as the Seventies rolled around. And, they deserve it too. I think I already have posted my thoughts on the Stones. They are not my #1 group though they are definitely in my top 5.

I am resigned to not seeing my pick make it as #1. And that's okay. When it gets down to the crunch, too many factors come into play in the selection process and not everyone puts the same emphasis on the various criteria.

But what this exercise (I know not what else to call it) has done is prompt everyone to take a look at artists that possibly they have paid little attention to in the past and at least recognize what they brought into the evolving Music Culture of the past 50 years! The purpose has been accomplished regardless of the end result. I just hate to see the very gutsy chances the pioneers took go unrecognized...forgotten about. Many other subsequent groups rose above them in popularity, but they got there by building on that which someone else laid the foundation for.

Think where Hendrix would be if he had a voice like Elvis or Don Henley <LOL>

luvthelighthouse
07-17-2009, 02:32 PM

I'm not much of a Stones fan, but I gave them a nod for their longevity. Really, I don't care for many top contenders left on the list musically. For my listening pleasure, I'd have to go Holly, CSNY, Beach Boys and Who... with an occassional ear lent to Zeppelin.

TimothyBFan
07-17-2009, 02:37 PM
That seems to be a general consensus in this. We all kinda say the same thing, we don't care much for some of the music of the finalist (me included) but yet they are on our lists and we feel that they are the biggest contributors to music. Does that mean we are in the minority as far as what we all listen to or is it even tho these guys contributed the most, no one really cares for their music? Does that make sense? I just find it strange I guess.

luvthelighthouse
07-17-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm not sure. :headscratch: I think if would be interesting if we had a contest for "our" favorite band/musician. I like some music just because it sounds good, not because the artist did anything but sing well and have some good sounds backing it up. Let's face it, the Goo Goo Dolls were hardly groundbreaking... but oh to hear Johnny sing... "scars are souvenirs you never lose"... that's what I like!

Prettymaid
07-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Beach Boys
Bob Dylan
Buddy Holly
Byrds
Chuck Berry
Elvis Presley
Eric Clapton
Jimi Hendrix
Michael Jackson
Queen

Prettymaid
07-17-2009, 03:01 PM
I want the people who made comments about these artists to know that it did help me a little with my vote.

MikeA
07-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Elvis and the Stones are tied for top honors right now.

I don't know if I'd be much better off voting for my "favorites". I guess I have a more technical ear for music. I mean, I not only listen to what just sounds good, but also listen deeper for things that really are different...an odd timing, a strange chord progression, maybe changing times within a song. Techniques of guitarists and drummers particularly catch my attention.

But so do harmonies and lyrical content. That's what made it so difficult for me in considering a lot of the bands and groups. Like Joni Mitchell. Love her lyrics. Same thing with CSNY. On the other hand, Hendrix: Loved his technique but couldn't much get into some of his lyrics and especially not his vocal quality.

I think that's why I've always loved the Blues. There is continuity to it. A "formula" if you will. But also liked a lot of the lyrics because in so many cases, the story or themes were personal to me.

It's for all those reasons that I can't be disappointed in ANY of the artists we've considered but go insane when I have to eliminate someone from my list. They ALL had a LOT going for them but how do you say "THIS one contributed more to Music Culture than THAT one?" It's both a win-win and a lose-lose!

MikeA
07-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Latest running tally:

Elvis Presley 8
Rolling Stones 8

Bob Dylan 7
Jimi Hendrix 7
Led Zeppelin 7

Beach Boys 6
Chuck Berry 6
Michael Jackson 6

Aretha Franklin 4
Buddy Holly 4
Byrds 4
CSNY 4
*******************cut line******************************
Janis Joplin 3
WHO 3

Pink Floyd 2

BB King 1
Bob Marley 1
Bruce Springsteen 1
CCR 1
Doors 1
Eric Clapton 1
Fleetwood Mac 1
Joni Mitchell 1
Queen 1
Queen 1
Supremes 1

MikeA
07-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Skip reading this if you don't want to hear me wander around trying to figure out what I'm trying to say!

It is my opinion that the 60's were unique in history...not just Music History. The social situation in America was unique. So was the Political situation.

Those of us growing up in the 60's (ages 12 or 13 to 20 or 21) came from families whose heritage was the Great Depression of the Thirties and World War II in the Forties and then the Korean War. Comparratively, the 50's (our formative years) was a decade of figuratively "catching their breaths". They were conservative for the most part...religious with a faith that was their only recourse while spouses were over-seas fighting and dying. In the Fifties, they were content to exist in relative calmness, content just to exist!

That was our parents! Their children were "stifled"..smothered in boredom. Maybe that is an exaggeration, but it seems a close enough description. Then the Sixties came around and JFK took the Presidency. He was "different" (LOL). I remember the adults whispering about him being the first Catholic President in US history and they were worried ABOUT THAT!

The Cold War was in full swing and everyone (teens included) were horrified of nuclear war and had it rubbed in our faces with the Bay of Pigs! Bomb shelters being the thoughts in everyones minds. Not exactly a secure feeling.

Viet Nam becomes a huge drain on the youth with the Draft pulling every young man over 18 years of age into a minimum of 3 years of service with the likely tour of duty Viet Nam and the chances of every coming home alive at around 75%....less than that if you were a grad at a ROTC college and graduated a a 2nd Lieutenant. Their survival rate was considerably less than the rest of the cannon fodder!

Folks, it was a VERY depressing time. Youth had the attitude of Eat Drink and Be Merry for Tomorrow You Die! I'm serious! And we took things serious too! Racial problems, The War, anything conservative we protested because it was conservative and everything radical, we protested because it was radical. We wanted something different. It didn't matter that we didn't know what that was, but we knew we wanted it. In short, we were scared to death!

The one common denominator though was music. Any kind of music. And the bands we liked...they were usually the bands that the previous generation marked as heathen...unworthy...proclaiming that their music was anti-christian, anti-morale, anti-everything. But that just insure that the kids would love it! And the groups forming back then were just as Anti-Establishment as we were. They were disgruntled too. And they poured all of their creativity into trying to find something that would communicate with the younger generation like nothing else ever had.

All of these factors came together in the 60's and I would stick my neck out and say that they will never come together like that again...I hope they don't. But that does explain the attitudes that inspired the innovation, evolution, creativity....everything about the scene of the day. Yes, it explains the drug use and abuse as well. We just freakin' didn't care! We were pissed off and we weren't gonna take it any more <LOL> Most of us grew up and straightened out and flew right, but we came away from it (those who survived) with some BEAUTIFUL MUSIC!

Fan_For_Life
07-17-2009, 06:10 PM
I have taken everything everyone has mentioned here into consideration. Each musician that made the list from the beginning to even the many, many without the mention has contributed some way to music as it is today. I've basically been going on what I've heard, read and seen over the last 30ys of music listening.

Aretha Franklin
BB King
Bob Marley
Chuck Berry
Elvis Presley
Led Zepplin
Michael Jackson
Queen
Rolling Stones
Who

Freypower
07-17-2009, 06:27 PM
I have to say I hope the votes for Michael Jackson aren't just sentimental based on his death. I feel that if he were still alive he would not be attracting this kind of support.

There was a comment that people were voting with their heads rather than their hearts or words to that effect. Let me assure you that in my case, the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan and Led Zeppelin are all at the top of my personal favourites list. But regarding Chuck Berry I don't own ONE song by him.

I think the votes for the Beach Boys are somewhat sentimental too because they were not influential for very long and became a parody of themselves once Brian Wilson 'lost it'. I have never understood the hype regarding the Pet Sounds album. It's OK and has about four really good songs on it. That's all.

EagleLady
07-17-2009, 07:30 PM
That is harsh FP, Michael Broke the racial barriers by becoming the first black artist played on MTV, and how can you say he wasn't influential? :brickwall:

TimothyBFan
07-17-2009, 08:37 PM
I have to say I hope the votes for Michael Jackson aren't just sentimental based on his death. I feel that if he were still alive he would not be attracting this kind of support.

I feel a wee bit insulted here. I truly do believe that this man broke down barriers and is one of the most talented artist there has ever been--whether he is dead or alive. How can anyone dispute the records that he sat with Thriller and the accomplishments that he made as a youngster with the Jacksons and later as a solo artists. Yes, he became somewhat of a "freak" the last 10-15 years but that in no way diminishes the accomplishments that he has made as a musician.

There was a comment that people were voting with their heads rather than their hearts or words to that effect. Let me assure you that in my case, the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan and Led Zeppelin are all at the top of my personal favourites list. But regarding Chuck Berry I don't own ONE song by him.

Are you saying that someone said this about you? This is all about using our heads and not letting our hearts and our favorites get in the way. BTW-ltlh--love your idea of a vote for our favorites after this one is all said and done. I have gone on record as saying I want Zep to win and they are indeed also one of my favorites but that is about as far as it goes. Other than that, most of them on my list are not my favorites in any way. Don't own a Chuck Berry album, don't care for Dylan, really don't like Elvis and like the Stones but not one of my faves but I will never dispute that all of them were very influential in the music industry.

I think the votes for the Beach Boys are somewhat sentimental too because they were not influential for very long and became a parody of themselves once Brian Wilson 'lost it'. I have never understood the hype regarding the Pet Sounds album. It's OK and has about four really good songs on it. That's all.

They are on my list but sure not for sentimental reasons. I truly don't care much for them but here in America they were/are known as the All American Band, and for a very good reason. I refuse to believe they weren't influential to several bands that followed especially in their harmonies. Brian Wilson "lost it" because of some pretty bad circumstances, some he could of controlled and some beyond his control. The same could be said of Syd Barrett of Floyd, but that sure doesn't diminish their talents or their influences in the music world.

I gotta admit, you kinda offended me here and that isn't easy. I somehow feel that you think you may know more than most when it comes to music and maybe indeed you do. But I'm no slouch in that department either. I pride myself on my music knowledge, all genres, some more than others. I love music and music has been a EXTREMELY HUGE part of my life for many many decades and always will be. I can't imagine my life without it. It has been with me thru thick and thin and is probably the one thing that has always been a constant and never let me down in my whole life. Corny? Yes but that is how I feel. I guess what I'm trying to say is I really don't quite know where you are going with this post but I fear you may have offended some here and I truly hope you did not intend to. Our little "experiment", as Mike calls it, is a lot of fun and some what of a learning experience for a lot of us. I hope no one is discouraged because they might not feel as if they know as much as someone else and be encouraged not to play because of it.

FP--if I misunderstood your post---I'm sorry for my ramblings here! Please forgive me!

eaglesvet
07-17-2009, 08:42 PM
I can assure you, FP, that neither of my votes for MJ and the Beach Boys was based on sentimentality. I feel that each of them has contributed to the music scene in their own unique way, and thus deserved of my vote in this competition. (Believe it or not, I have managed to avoid ALL TV coverage of MJ's death, save for about 10 minutes of the Staples Center tribute on YouTube.)

Of those bands currently in the top ten, I own albums by Led Zep, the Beach Boys, and CSNY...none of which I ever play anymore. In fact, I don't even think I played the Zeppelin ones when I first got them...I just don't care for their music, and basically just succumbed to peer pressure when I bought 1 or 2 of their albums years ago. However, I do recognize their sizeable contribution to the music scene as well!

Freypower
07-17-2009, 09:24 PM
OK, if I offended anyone I am sorry, but I honestly don't see how a voice of dissent about Michael Jackson and the Beach Boys which is only my personal opinion can have done that. Unfortunately I think the comment I made about Jackson was valid, if cynical. I did not say he wasn't influential. He was. I said 'I HOPE the votes aren't based on sentiment'.

Regarding the Beach Boys, because I am not American they never affected me in the way they probably affect Americans. I see nothing wrong with pointing this out. But again, if I offended anyone by saying this I am sorry. I am not saying these votes are not valid.

Also, I will have no problem AT ALL if either Jackson or the Beach Boys end up winning this game.

All I am saying here is that dissent is as important as agreement.

I did not say that someone said I was voting with my head and not my heart. TBF,it was you who said something about 'are we in the minority and voting for these acts because we think we should and don't actually care for their music'. What I said was that if others have done that (which was the idea), I have not in the case of Dylan, the Stones and Zeppelin. Those three acts are amongst my personal favourites. To me I was lucky enough to be able to vote with both head and heart here.

It was not me who suggested doing a vote based on favourites after we have finished this (it was LTL), but I am in favour of it.

Fan_For_Life
07-17-2009, 10:30 PM
I can understand FP's statement as not being offensive because it would be easy to include him since he passed only a few weeks ago. Michael Jackson is the only artist on my list of whom came of age when I was coming of age. I do feel him to be as influential as Elvis in that he captivated an entire decade or more with his musical style and grace. I do feel confident enough in my musical endeavors to choose fairly among who is who and who is not. Which is why it was a must to include a female on the list. The folks I listed I own only a Bob Marley and a Led Zepplin cd. Not voting just with head but also with heart. :)

EagleLady
07-17-2009, 10:31 PM
I can understand FP's statement as not being offensive because it would be easy to include him since he passed only a few weeks ago. Michael Jackson is the only artist on my list of whom came of age when I was coming of age. I do feel him to be as influential as Elvis in that he captivated an entire decade or more with his musical style and grace. I do feel confident enough in my musical endeavors to choose fairly among who is who and who is not. Which is why it was a must to include a female on the list. The folks I listed I own only a Bob Marley cd. Not voting just with head but also with heart. :)

Yes, but one cannot assume one voted for MJ Out of Sentiment, JMHO

Fan_For_Life
07-17-2009, 10:35 PM
I also own a Led Zepplin cd. I know what you mean EagleLady.

Ive always been a dreamer
07-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Well, I can certainly see how FP's comments could be perceived as being insensitive and offensive. FP, you may not have directly said that Michael Jackson or The Beach Boys weren’t influential, but when you suggest that the votes they are receiving are based on sentiment, that is clearly the implication. Not only that, but I would totally disagree with your hypotheses. I’m not a huge fan of either, but I don’t see how you can deny these men’s contributions to the world of music, and I think both are totally worthy of being in the Top 10. My understanding is that we are not judging them here on their personal lives.

Also, I don’t understand what the problem is if someone votes with their heart instead of their head. Who among us is to say which is more important? I thought that we had already acknowledged earlier that voting with your heart has it merits. Anyway, here is the list my head and my heart came up with …

Aretha Franklin
Beach Boys
Buddy Holly
Chuck Berry
Elvis Presley
Janis Joplin
Jimi Hendrix
Led Zeppelin
Michael Jackson
Rolling Stones

I have a lot more to say about some of the frontrunners in this “experiment”, but I’m gonna save it for later.

luvthelighthouse
07-17-2009, 11:04 PM
My top ten didn't include MJ or the BB's. I can tell you why I did vote for MJ earlier though... I did so because he revolutionized the way video's were made. I remember the first time I saw Thriller. OMG, I couldn't get enough ... what was it, like 15 mins long? That is why I voted for him.

As far as crossing racial barriers, that was done first by Chuck Berry. He wrote music for the the masses... and that mass included white teenagers! He knew if he wanted to sell his music he had to appeal to the white kids because they were the ones buying music.

I love, love, love the Beach Boys, but I think those on my list did more for music than the BB's, so that is why I left them off. I can listen to their music for hours, but not sure that made them innovative in any way.

Honestly, I probably don't currently own any music on my top ten list, but at one time I owned a lot of it. Heck, I lived on Buddy Holly and the Beach Boys for about a year in the early 80's. I couldn't get enough of them... but I never replaced my "cassettes" with CD's of those bands. Same w/Zeppelin. I had most of their music on cassettes, if not all of it, but never replaced it on CD... and today, I'm not sure it's my taste any longer. I'm not a Dylan fan, but who can deny that he changed how lyrics are written? I guess I'm saying, I think people are voting true to their beliefs, that's all.

EagleLady
07-17-2009, 11:14 PM
My top ten didn't include MJ or the BB's. I can tell you why I did vote for MJ earlier though... I did so because he revolutionized the way video's were made. I remember the first time I saw Thriller. OMG, I couldn't get enough ... what was it, like 15 mins long? That is why I voted for him.

As far as crossing racial barriers, that was done first by Chuck Berry. He wrote music for the the masses... and that mass included white teenagers! He knew if he wanted to sell his music he had to appeal to the white kids because they were the ones buying music.

I love, love, love the Beach Boys, but I think those on my list did more for music than the BB's, so that is why I left them off. I can listen to their music for hours, but not sure that made them innovative in any way.

Honestly, I probably don't currently own any music on my top ten list, but at one time I owned a lot of it. Heck, I lived on Buddy Holly and the Beach Boys for about a year in the early 80's. I couldn't get enough of them... but I never replaced my "cassettes" with CD's of those bands. Same w/Zeppelin. I had most of their music on cassettes, if not all of it, but never replaced it on CD... and today, I'm not sure it's my taste any longer. I'm not a Dylan fan, but who can deny that he changed how lyrics are written? I guess I'm saying, I think people are voting true to their beliefs, that's all.

I was talking about MJ Being the first Black person to be played on MTV. NOT what Chuck Berry did before hand.

luvthelighthouse
07-17-2009, 11:31 PM
I was talking about MJ Being the first Black person to be played on MTV. NOT what Chuck Berry did before hand.

In all fairness, MTV didn't begin until 1981 (way after segregation) ... and MJ was popular then, so of course he was on. I don't think him being on MTV was a big deal. They played several black artists. Actually, Michael was not the first black person on MTV. He had videos in heavy rotation, but Tina Turner and Eddie Grant were on before MJ. Not to mention, one of the original VJ's was also black.

The main trivia everyone should remember is about MTV is the first video played... Video Killed the Radio Star.

luvthelighthouse
07-18-2009, 12:55 AM
This contest has been really fun for me. It's made me listen to things I haven't bothered to listen to in years. Now, I'm not a Janis Joplin fan, but let's face it, she paved the way for woman rockers to come.

I've been listening to some of her songs on youtube and I just can't get into her, as she's too bluesy for my liking... However, I have always loved Me and Bobby McGee. When I hear her sing it, I actually tear up. I will give her credit that she really put her heart and soul in her singing.

I listened to others versions of this song as well, but I have to say Janis' is my favorite version. I wish I liked her style more... perhaps I'll try listening to more and see if anything grabs me.

Maleah
07-18-2009, 01:02 AM
Wow.....well I've been kind of missing in action so I was absent for the first few rounds here. Hopefully you guys don't mind me jumping in on the action. It's been an interesting bunch of pages to read!

My 10 choices for most popular/influential/best/etc etc....

Elvis Presley
Beach Boys
Chuck Berry
Michael Jackson
Led Zeppelin
Rolling Stones
Bob Marley
Aretha Franklin
Jimi Hendrix
Janis Joplin

The first 4 were easy and after that it became a little harder. And no....none were based on sentimentality. ;) I'm a fan of Elvis and Aretha and that's about it. But there's no denying the influence done by the Beach boys with the surf sound/harmonies, Chuck Berry was incredibly influential on a lot of styles of music, Michael Jackson changed pop music/dance/video's forever, Led Zep & Rollings Stones created their own brands of rock & roll, Bob Marley is the only reggae artist that I think the whole world knows, Aretha....c'mon....she's Aretha(!), Jimi Hendrix cannot be denied as an influence on any current guitarist, and Janis Joplin made it possible for women to be "rock stars" too!

I had a SUPER hard time leaving out both Fleetwood Mac AND Eric Clapton. If I went on who I personally liked the most and viewed as influential to ME....FM would definently be there. And EC is named all the time by today's artists as influence both as a songwriter and guitarist.

MikeA
07-18-2009, 08:15 AM
Voting for Top-Ten is Closed.

MikeA
07-18-2009, 08:26 AM
Here is your Top-Ten

With 11 votes

Elvis Presley
Rolling Stones

With 10 votes

Led Zeppelin

With 9 votes

Chuck Berry
Jimi Hendrix
Michael Jackson

With 8 Votes

Beach Boys

With 7 votes

Aretha Franklin
Bob Dylan

With 6 votes

Janis Joplin

Freypower
07-19-2009, 06:47 PM
I know this part of the game is now over but can I point out that it was me who suggested Michael Jackson be included in the list in the first place.

However the 'people are voting out of sentiment' stuff was out of line. I suppose it has come as a surprise to realise exactly how much influence the man has had, which makes his premature death even more of a tragedy.

TimothyBFan
07-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Well said FP!!