PDA

View Full Version : For those who own/read Felder's book...

RamboIV
07-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Does anyone remember when Felder was writing about the Eagles attempting to work on songs for Hell Freezes Over, and he stated that Don Henley did not think too highly of Frey's "Girl From Yesterday"? Felder included a great quote from Henley -- something along the lines of "Any Nashville country singer could have written it". Ring any bells?

If so, could someone post that quote here?

Ive always been a dreamer
07-17-2009, 11:31 PM
Joe - you pretty much have the gist of it. On page 252, Felder writes "Don remarked, when Glenn wasn't in the room, that his song was not his best work and that any country singer from Nashville could sing it better."

luvthelighthouse
07-17-2009, 11:34 PM
I like that song!

Thanks for finding that Dreamer, I was too lazy to walk into the other room to get the book!

Stars
07-17-2009, 11:40 PM
I also like that song!
I have read Felder's book, but don't own it-I borrowed it from the library where I work.:)

07-17-2009, 11:47 PM
I like the song too, but I do partially agree with Don. I would agree that it is not Glenn's best work ... BUT - there is no way that "any country singer from Nashville" could sing it better than the way Glenn sings the song, IMHO! :shock:

07-17-2009, 11:54 PM
EL - That is pretty harsh. It's one thing to express your opinion about something, but you are essentially calling Felder a liar with absolutely no proof.

EagleLady
07-17-2009, 11:56 PM
I take into effect that most of his book is made up of Sob stories

luvthelighthouse
07-18-2009, 12:03 AM
No doubt he "amped" up the poor me, I'm a victim aspect. I'm sure he took some liberties... so it can be hard to tell fact from fiction... as it's hard to believe everything in print. Also, sometimes the way we remember things, aren't neccessarily the way they actually happened.

I'm not stating it is fact or fiction, but I can see where there could be some doubt.

07-18-2009, 12:17 AM
Well, it's fine if you think the book is a compilation of sob stories, but that is a totally different matter than not telling the truth. Please do not throw unsubstantiated accusations around on the board. It is fine if you want to start a discussion in Felder's book thread about inaccuracies or inconsistencies in the book if you can support what you say, but it is not okay to carelessly suggest he is not telling the truth about something when you have no facts to back it up as you did here.

RamboIV
07-18-2009, 04:25 AM
Thanks for posting that quote! I was thinking about that phrase today, I couldn't remember how it was worded. I have to say I am not a fan of the song, but I don't agree with Henley.

Because honestly, there are some works in Henley's catalog that are not all that pristine. And on the subject of Hell Freezes Over, I didn't like that a number of Henley's works found their way onto that DVD, but none of Frey or Walsh's solo stuff did.

07-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Thanks for posting that quote! I was thinking about that phrase today, I couldn't remember how it was worded. I have to say I am not a fan of the song, but I don't agree with Henley.

Because honestly, there are some works in Henley's catalog that are not all that pristine. And on the subject of Hell Freezes Over, I didn't like that a number of Henley's works found their way onto that DVD, but none of Frey or Walsh's solo stuff did.

No argument from me here, Joe. Even the very best aren't at the top of their game 100% of the time. With regard to the HFO DVD, as much as I love Don, I agree that the DVD is too Henley-centric. I just think it would have worked better to try to equal out the face time, particularly since this was the long awaited reunion of the band.

EagleLady
07-18-2009, 11:34 PM
I think it's because Don's solo stuff is more well known than Glenn's, JMHO.

Prettymaid
07-19-2009, 12:55 PM
EL - That is pretty harsh. It's one thing to express your opinion about something, but you are essentially calling Felder a liar with absolutely no proof.

EL, could you please stop deleting your posts only because somebody disagrees with them? It kind of breaks up the continuity, making the responses to your original post seem to make no sense! :headscratch: :)

EagleLady
07-19-2009, 01:00 PM
You need not worry about it, cause I will leave.

Freypower
07-19-2009, 08:27 PM
I think it's because Don's solo stuff is more well known than Glenn's, JMHO.

This is a matter of opinion. Some of Glenn's big hits are as least as well known as New York Minute, which was included.

They did do Lover's Moon. Sadly, it was not included in the final cut.

Regarding Felder's opinion of TGFY, it is hardly surprising, given his opinion of Glenn's songs in general. He also claims that it was dropped very quickly. I saw it in Sydney in 1995, long after Get Over It had been dropped (which was a huge disappointment for me, as I love that song).

GlennLover
07-19-2009, 09:59 PM
I agree that HFO was too Henley heavy, especially with his solo material. I would have loved to have seen Lover's Moon included or their alternate version of PEF, that was also cut from the final version.

sodascouts
07-20-2009, 11:59 PM
I guess they didn't include Lover's Moon because it was never a hit, but the exclusion of that incredible version of Peaceful Easy Feeling (my personal favorite live version) is puzzling, to say the least. In fact, I'd call its omission a colossal error in judgment on the part of whoever chose which songs would be included. It is magnificent.

If they were short on time, they could have ditched New York Minute. The only other Henley solo song is Heart of the Matter, and the Eagles version of it is indispensable. I love it.

I think it's not so much that it contains too many Henley solo songs - indeed, it only contains two. I don't even think it's just the lead vocal domination, although of course that is noticeable, but it can be justified by the fact that Henley sang lead on a great many hits.

What really makes it too Henley-centric is the way that for some songs such as Wasted Time and New York Minute, the rest of the band just fades into the shadows (although the camera hits them for the occasional "oooh"). For parts of NYM Joe, Felder, and Glenn are seriously just sitting there waiting to play something while Tim plays his bass line in the shadows. THAT'S when it's really the Henley show, and that's when I really wince. Contrast that with Life in the Fast Lane or Desperado, where the band is featured as a unit and it just happens to be a Henley lead. The latter works well and feels right. The former is more appropriate for a solo show.

I will make an exception to the above, though, in the case of The Last Resort. It starts with Henley isolated in the spotlight and the rest of the guys in the shadows. Then, on that last verse, suddenly all the guys are up front in a row right beside Henley, singing those supporting vocals with all they've got. The dramatic contrast is very powerful and effective.

Freypower
07-21-2009, 07:53 PM
And also, Don only sings two uptempo songs (GOI and LITFL) and the rest, including the reworked version of HC, are long, slow ballads. So HFO in my opinion does not represent even Don properly.

GlennLover
07-21-2009, 09:52 PM
You nailed it, FP. I guess what I was trying to say is that HFO was a ittle heavy on the long, slow ballads.

sodascouts
07-22-2009, 05:33 PM
When I was first getting into the Eagles hard-core in 2005, I went out and bought the Farewell 1 and Hell Freezes Over DVDs at the same time. I had never seen Farewell 1 and had only a vague memory of seeing Hell Freezes Over on MTV back when it first aired (I've told the story before of how I was watching MTV in 1994 when a commercial came on for HFO that named the band members - and being ignorant of 70s music I thought, "Wow, both Don Henley AND Glenn Frey were in the same band at one time? That must have been a pretty awesome band! And Glenn Frey looks GOOD.") I was a freshman in college at the time. I watched Hell Freezes Over when it aired on MTV and liked it well enough to buy the cassette tape, but never bought the VHS or anything. (Interestingly, I think it was one of the last - if not THE last - cassette tapes I ever bought. After that it was CD all the way... and one of the first rock music CDs I ever bought was the Eagles Greatest Hits).

So, back to 2005. I watched Farewell 1 first, and thought it was lots of fun. Then, I watched Hell Freezes Over. I was surprised at how these guys almost never looked into the camera during the latter and indeed spent a great deal of time looking down. I thought "Dang, this is slow." I almost breathed a sigh of relief when Take It Easy took it up a notch. The slow songs are lovely, but variety is the spice of life! Plus, like I said, the guys themselves seemed very reserved and even shy. Surprising!

Prettymaid
07-22-2009, 06:53 PM
I thought, "Wow, both Don Henley AND Glenn Frey were in the same band at one time? That must have been a pretty awesome band!

:hilarious: Reminds me of the Paul McCartney joke, "You mean to tell me that Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?" :hilarious:

AmarilloByMorning
08-07-2009, 11:42 AM
I thought, "Wow, both Don Henley AND Glenn Frey were in the same band at one time? That must have been a pretty awesome band! And Glenn Frey looks GOOD."

That was my reaction, as well!

My dad was listening to their first album, and all I knew of the Eagles was "Take it Easy." So when "Witchy Woman" came on, I asked him what "the Innocence guy" was doing singing on an Eagles record. Dad gives me a blank look: "'The Innocence guy'?" I'm like, "Yeah! He sings 'The End of the Innocence.' I don't know his name, but he has a very nice voice. I didn't know the 'You Belong to the City' and 'End of the Innocence' guys made an album together! When did this happen?"

My poor father was horrified.

Felder's book was unbelievable, though. His supposed regret about his adultery lost me completely. Of course you feel badly after you get caught! It didn't paint Henley or Frey as complete devils, which I had braced myself for. The "Hotel California" book was actually considerably worse in that regard.

sodascouts
08-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Ah, a girl after my own heart!

Brooke
08-07-2009, 04:13 PM
That was my reaction, as well!

My dad was listening to their first album, and all I knew of the Eagles was "Take it Easy." So when "Witchy Woman" came on, I asked him what "the Innocence guy" was doing singing on an Eagles record. Dad gives me a blank look: "'The Innocence guy'?" I'm like, "Yeah! He sings 'The End of the Innocence.' I don't know his name, but he has a very nice voice. I didn't know the 'You Belong to the City' and 'End of the Innocence' guys made an album together! When did this happen?"

My poor father was horrified.

:rofl: I would have felt like your father!

pueblo47
12-07-2009, 01:09 PM
I got several good leads on Frey's movies and tv appearances from DF's book:grin:, have ordered the Miami Vice episode/s and the movie Let's Get Harry, that GF is in and I don't remember seeing. The older I get, the better they all look.....

Freypower
12-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Probably not the reaction Mr Felder would have preferred.... :twisted:

pueblo47
12-07-2009, 11:18 PM
DF is one of my favorite guitarists, he's a cool dude too. Besides, all I'm doing is building my Eagle stash back up and any leads from any of them is fair game:). As far as an Eagle, I have no particular favorite in the band. They're all great musicians and performers and since I'll never meet any of them, I don't care how quirky or rude they might be. All I want is to hear the music and see the shows.:nahnah:

GlennLover
12-08-2009, 11:04 AM
And that's the way it should be.

pueblo47
12-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Here's a sob story for you:). That movie Let's Get Harry...I got it yesterday, was watching it(not really an Oscar-type movie)and halfway through, it started skipping, then locked up totally. Bummer, so I contacted the seller and he said to throw the disc away and a replacement is on the way. Since I sat through half of it, I need to see how it ends. Meanwhile, to console myself, I got a pal to convert the VHS episode of Miami Vice's Smugglers Blues to dvd, which I am wallowing in now:hilarious:. Next, can anyone tell me what season of Wiseguys GF is in.

Freypower
12-13-2009, 10:42 PM
He is in the Dead Dog arc, but you can't buy it as far as I am aware.

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/moviestv/wiseguy.htm

If you are really interested in it I could copy it for you.

pueblo47
12-13-2009, 11:18 PM
That would be super and of course, name your price. I need to get my email to you or can you get it without my help<G>? If you can do this for me, I'll be forever in your debt.

I just went to the link, I gotta have it, lol.

Freypower
12-13-2009, 11:21 PM
See my PM to you. It will be a pleasure.

pueblo47
12-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Ok, I sent all the info to you in PM, hope it got through.

pueblo47
12-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Sorry, Felder, for expressing an interest in GF on YOUR thread:), but you're the one who wrote the book that has given me tons of leads on Eagle stuff. If it's any consolation, DF is my desktop image. My other pc has the others at various times.