PDA

View Full Version : For those with a sense of humor...

RamboIV
07-18-2009, 04:34 AM
So, I was watching some retro interviews with Frey and other Eagles, and I stumbled across one of Frey on Australia MTV from around (I believe) 1988, and I couldn't help but notice how obnoxious Glenn was acting! It made me laugh at first, but whenever I see someone riding a high horse, I feel the need to poke a little fun.

So, I re-cut the interview with some unflattering clips and pictures, to put his rants into perspective. I'm not Frey-bashing in this video, but simply making the point that all artists have their "less than spectacular" moments and he need not get so "angry" (as he put it) about other artists.

All in all, this is a stupid video, but I think it's funny and I had fun making it. I figured a few others here might too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfRh3xCY_co

If no one likes it and everyone hates me for it, I apologize. lol

Fan_For_Life
07-18-2009, 09:21 AM
I don't believe I've seen the interview before. He was asked direct questions and gave direct answers. Nothing wrong with that. :)

luvthelighthouse
07-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Ok, I can appreciate the humor in that... but you poked fun at Chug All Night:fight: I actually enjoy that song very much!

Fan_For_Life
07-18-2009, 10:14 AM
If you could provide the interview(without snippets) in the Glenn YouTube section that would be appreciated. :)

EagleLady
07-18-2009, 10:26 AM
FFL You need to get a sense of humor, Come on, lighten up :hilarious:

Stars
07-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Rambo, you gave me a good laugh this morning, and I needed it-thanks! I also would love to see the full interview without the snippets, but your snippets were absolutely hysterical-well done, Rambo!:hilarious:

Fan_For_Life
07-18-2009, 11:04 AM
I didn't say it wasn't funny. :)

timfan
07-18-2009, 11:58 AM
The full interview is available for download on GFO. Here is the link to the

mpg format: http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/clips/interviews/aussieinterviewmtv88.mpg
wmv format:http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/clips/interviews/aussieinterviewmtv88.wmv

Fan_For_Life
07-18-2009, 12:56 PM
Thank you. I didn't realize that was the entire interview.

Ive always been a dreamer
07-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Joe - I got a big chuckle out of that, BUT - I will NEVER agree with you about Love In the 21st Century. I LOVE THAT SONG - it is as cool as a moose!!! :wink: :nod:

RamboIV
07-19-2009, 03:22 AM
Ok, I can appreciate the humor in that... but you poked fun at Chug All Night:fight: I actually enjoy that song very much!

I actually like beginning of Chug All Night, but I read somewhere that Frey himself called it "maybe the worst song ever written" or something like that. Also the lyrics "We can chug all night, We can hug all night" are stupid.

And for those who like Love in the 21st Century -- if you have seen my Eagles series, you know I hate the song. lol

Also, thanks to timfan for posting the link to the interview.

Glennsallnighter
07-19-2009, 07:03 AM
The full interview is available for download on GFO. Here is the link to the

mpg format: http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/clips/interviews/aussieinterviewmtv88.mpg
wmv format:http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/clips/interviews/aussieinterviewmtv88.wmv

KATH!! I was only thinking about you this week and hoping you were ok as its been a while since our paths have crossed on the Border!!
Glad to see you here. Hope things are going well!

I must do that with everyone!

Stars
07-19-2009, 11:10 AM
I just watched the full interview-I loved hearing Glenn's views on the present music scene, but I had to chuckle when I thought about Rambo's little snippets.:hilarious:
Oh, and by the way, didn't Glenn look very handsome in the interview??:inlove:

Troubadour
07-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Gotta say - that gave me a good giggle. Very funny!

Freypower
07-19-2009, 07:20 PM
This brings back wonderful memories. It was me who recorded that interview and passed it on to Soda. Sigh. 1988. BRING IT BACK!!!!

He had every right to make those comments about the state of 80s music. If you look at him though he is not angry. He is just expressing his opinion somewhat forcefully. I thought it was funny. I always have done.

Besides... what Stars said. :partytime:

Rambo, I know you don't like Love In The 21st Century. I think it is one of the most astute analysis of the current 'loneliness industry' ever written. And it rocks.

Troubadour
07-19-2009, 07:32 PM
May I just stray off-topic for a second and let out a big sigh for Julie's avatar.

GlennLover
07-19-2009, 10:02 PM
I also like Love in the 21st Century. I think that it has a good meaning as well as being enjoyable listening. However, I'm not crazy about the video.

Stars
07-19-2009, 11:56 PM
GL, I know what you mean about that Love in the 21st Century video. I don't really think that Glenn looks his best, if you know what I mean!:hilarious:

Freypower
07-20-2009, 09:24 PM
No doubt there will be some discussion of the video when we do the Survivor game.

sodascouts
07-20-2009, 09:48 PM
Joe, you know I think you're terrific, and I love your sense of humor. You really know how to make people laugh! And as a child of the 80s who grew up loving its pop music, I will say that Glenn painted it with a bit too broad of a brush in this interview.

However, it seems obvious he was amping up the "outrage" to get some laughs. And I have to admit that many of the clips you provided as "evidence" of his hypocrisy are clips that I love! For instance, I find those little extra "yows" in concert to be very hot and I'm sad the Eagles don't do more little improvisations like that. Also, I think I was supposed to react negatively to the clip of The Boss and feel Glenn's compliments of him were unwarranted, but I'm not sure why... Springsteen rocks live!

Of course, to be honest, I have to agree that Sexy Girl is pretty insipid lyrically... but they can't ALL be homers! The problem is that none of the homers he DID hit were acknowledged in the vid.

The best videos of this kind are those that are able to administer the sting without misrepresenting the reality.

I can't find fault with your editing skills, though. You got it goin' on there and you're gonna go places, if you ask me.

And I have to say... some of your vid content DID make me laugh!

GlennLover
07-20-2009, 11:59 PM
However, it seems obvious he was amping up the "outrage" to get some laughs. And I have to admit that many of the clips you provided as "evidence" of his hypocrisy are clips that I love! For instance, I find those little extra "yows" in concert to be very hot and I'm sad the Eagles don't do more little improvisations like that.

Well said, Soda! I also think that Glenn was trying to be amusing in the interview. I read his final remarks as a sort of apology to the interviewer for his rant. Those "yows" make me :fainting:!

TimothyBFan
07-21-2009, 08:00 AM
I loved that!! The 80's :woah: what were we all thinking? Actually I still get a kick out of seeing old videos like those of our Mr Frey. I loved them then, love them now!! He's always had a sense of humor about it all I think. Rambo-I think you did a great job putting it all together that way!

One thing tho---Is that a recent Bob Segar clip? Wow-he hasn't aged as well as I would like if so.

RamboIV
07-23-2009, 01:23 AM
Joe, you know I think you're terrific, and I love your sense of humor. You really know how to make people laugh!

However, it seems obvious he was amping up the "outrage" to get some laughs. And I have to admit that many of the clips you provided as "evidence" of his hypocrisy are clips that I love! For instance, I find those little extra "yows" in concert to be very hot and I'm sad the Eagles don't do more little improvisations like that. Also, I think I was supposed to react negatively to the clip of The Boss and feel Glenn's compliments of him were unwarranted, but I'm not sure why... Springsteen rocks live!

I can't find fault with your editing skills, though. You got it goin' on there and you're gonna go places, if you ask me.

And I have to say... some of your vid content DID make me laugh!

Hey Nancy! Thanks for the compliments... but your comments made me forget to acknowledge something very obvious: I'm admittedly being TOTALLY unfair to Frey. My intention was too just "throw the kitchen sink" of potential jokes at him given his snarky attitude. I also love the "Yows" and the end of Sumggler's Blues (but they aren't the most... melodic?), and the clips of Huey Lewis, the Boss, and Bob Seger were to simply show that "straight from the hip" rock'n'roll that he likes. In fact, I shot the videos I used of the Huey Lewis and the Boss. I agree with Frey on Huey, Springsteen, and Seger.

My real beef with Frey is that I think he overestimates his own lyrical ability a tad when he has songs like "Better in the USA" and "Sexy Girl" on his docket. I also tend not to like songs that sound as if they were written to be commerical jingles like Livin' Right (actually used on a commercial), Love in the 21st Century, PartyTown, Sea Cruise, or Better in the USA (also used in a commercial). I guess those songs super disappoint me because I know Frey has the ability to ROCK -- You Belong to the City, Smuggler's Blues, The Heat is On are all fantastic! And they are the reason he was a successful solo artist.

Anyway, if you folks liked my ability to make vicious, unfair fun of people - I'd be glad to do it to Henley, Felder, or Walsh too, but I don't know of any particulary snarky interview clips of them.

sodascouts
07-23-2009, 09:52 AM
Anyway, if you folks liked my ability to make vicious, unfair fun of people - I'd be glad to do it to Henley, Felder, or Walsh too, but I don't know of any particulary snarky interview clips of them.

lol! Glad to know you're equal opportunity. ;)

It's interesting that you think he overestimates his own lyric-writing ability. It may sound so in that interview, but as a rule he is very modest about such things and lavishes praise upon Henley as the lyrical genius while downplaying himself. In his solo work, Jack Tempchin usually performs Henley's role in their partnership. I believe the only songs for which Glenn has written the lyrics without a partner are Chug All Night (hey, he was young), Get You in the Mood (remember, young, lol), Most of Us Are Sad, All Those Lies, No More Cloudy Days, and You Are Not Alone.*

*You could add Rebecca and Run Boy Run to that list if you count Longbranch Pennywhistle.

MikeA
07-23-2009, 11:05 AM
I think Glenn also wrote all the lyrics to "I dreamed there was no War".

EagleLady
07-23-2009, 11:14 AM
IDTWNW is an instrumental.

Prettymaid
07-23-2009, 11:17 AM

EL, look at the title of this thread... :hilarious:

EagleLady
07-23-2009, 11:18 AM
EL, look at the title of this thread... :hilarious:

I saw it :soda:

MikeA
07-23-2009, 11:35 AM
Yeah, my sense of humor can be pretty left-field at times.

ticky
07-23-2009, 12:07 PM

I sometimes make up my own words to it... in fact.. I do that with about everything.. makes singing in the car a lot more fun:nahnah:

TimothyBFan
07-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Rhonda-we've all seen the way you write--I bet those are some good lyrics!:thumbsup:

MikeA
07-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Shore thang:

Originally Posted by ticky
How about Hotel Oregon,
"On a wet slippery interstate, I smashed into a log truck."

ticky
07-23-2009, 04:22 PM
we should make that a game, take an Eagles song and add your own lyrics..

"Runnin' down the road tryin' to loosen my load, got a slab of cheese cake on my mind, lookin' for a cup cake that wont make my butt big, it's soo hard to find..."

Troubadour
07-23-2009, 04:34 PM
LOL! Making 'cup cake' and 'butt big' rhyme is probably my favourite example of poetic license of all time :hilarious: Too funny! Great idea, too. I wouldn't put it past us to put that game into action here on The Border. (We're all suffering PEW, right? These are desperate times!)

sodascouts
07-23-2009, 05:10 PM
I say go for it!

MikeA
07-23-2009, 05:29 PM
LOL! Making 'cup cake' and 'butt big' rhyme is probably my favourite example of poetic license of all time :hilarious: Too funny! Great idea, too. I wouldn't put it past us to put that game into action here on The Border. (We're all suffering PEW, right? These are desperate times!)

"Cup Cake" and "Butt Ache"?

I'm stayin' OUT of this one! It could be dangerous for a respectable guy like me!

Freypower
07-23-2009, 06:40 PM
I think Glenn also wrote all the lyrics to "I dreamed there was no War".

And they're pretty thought-provoking, aren't they? :partytime:

This gave me a huge laugh, Mike. Thank you.

Rambo, regarding the part where you think that some of Glenn's songs sound like commercial jingles - it's pretty hard to answer that. They are catchy, like all good pop songs. (He didn't write Sea Cruise).

Regarding the amount of lyrics actually written by Glenn he tends not to give himself credit unless you are listening hard. There are several songs from Strange Weather where he is discussing the lyrical content (Love In The 21st Century being one of them) and he talks about how he proposed ideas for songs to Tempchin and then they wrote them. He doesn't give me the impression that he didn't write any lyrics. In the case of River Of Dreams, for instance, I honestly think that most of that must be by him.

With Eagles lyrics it is less certain what he wrote. I think he wrote more of Hotel California than he has ever been given credit for. The same goes for Get Over It which he described as a true collaboration with he and Don 'throwing couplets' at each other. But what about the Henley songs on LROOE? The title track? Because he sings so much harmony with Henley I would like to think he helped with the lyrics, but FGOTP, probably not.

I repeat that I thought the majority of what he said in that interview was valid and expressed in an amusing way (although I found his example of Huey Lewis rather strange - I've always found him rather bland. Glenn now plays golf with him). Mind you as I sat there at the time with my mouth hanging open, staring, it was hard to be objective. I really miss those days when Glenn was willing to do more interviews and give of himself.

I honestly don't mind Glenn being criticised if it's warranted. On this board, however, we have a hard core of Glenn fans who will normally leap to his defence.

sodascouts
07-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that I didn't think he wrote any of the lyrics to co-written songs. I too believe he writes more than he gets credit for, but he continually seems to downplay his own role in that regard.

TimothyBFan
07-24-2009, 08:49 AM
we should make that a game, take an Eagles song and add your own lyrics..

"Runnin' down the road tryin' to loosen my load, got a slab of cheese cake on my mind, lookin' for a cup cake that wont make my butt big, it's soo hard to find..."

Desperate times call for desperate measures... Brilliant idea! :hilarious:

I love the fact that everyone is trying their best to come up with new things to do till the next round of concerts are announced (yes Ticky, there will be more concerts, all out West). PACE YOURSELVES everyone. We might have to make these last awhile!

AmarilloByMorning
08-11-2009, 02:13 PM
"There will be more concerts, all out West..."

SIGH. Toby Keith was right, I should've been a cowboy and moved to California.

Never seen this creation before - just wanted to express my gratitude; the slide inserts were hilarious. While I'm definitely a Frey fan I don't automatically leap to the defense, and found it exceptionally amusing.

I do wish they still gave interviews like this. The infamous Rolling Stone stomach flu one really teed them off, but at least it conveyed something other than Henley's stance on this, that or the other thing of international import, as the most recent one did (I say that as a Henley fan; don't rush to seize your arms). I miss Frey in the media.

My one [playful] protest is your insinuation that his long '70s hair qualifies as "bad"! Objection! As a member of the "I wish long hair on guys would make a comeback" camp I object! :nahnah: