Jimi Hendrix

Michael Jackson

Beach Boys

Aretha Franklin

Bob Dylan

Janis Joplin

luvthelighthouse
07-18-2009, 09:53 AM
I did the summary of most of the bands last round. I'm curious on how those voting would sum up the Stones and Zeppelin's contribution to music in just a few sentences. I'd like some opinions on them.

I'd also love to hear anything about the top ten anyone wants to reiterate or add. I need perspectives other than my own. I think I have my top five, but it never hurts to have others input before coming to a conclusion.

Brooke
07-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Maybe you missed this back in round 2, I think.

Now, let me make my case for the Rolling Stones. From Wikipedia:

24 studio albums
9 concert albums
Sold 200 million albums worldwide

The songwriting team of Jagger/Richards.

Sticky Fingers (1971) began the list of 8 consecutive #1 albums.

The album Aftermath, released in 1966 contained the almost 12 minute long Going Home, the 1st extended jam on a top selling rock & roll album. Later, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, and other 60's and 70's bands would release long jams routinely.

They made one of the 1st 'purpose-made' promotional film clips (music video) with the 1966 single, Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadow?

There's lots more technical stuff, but the above made the most sense to me.

Ground breaking? Innovative? I think so.

And...they never quit! They're like the energizer bunny!

EagleLady
07-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Elvis Presley

Rolling Stones

Led Zeppelin

Chuck Berry

Jimi Hendrix

MikeA
07-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Okay, LTLH....

Bob Dylan: He demonstrated to the artists of the early days of Rock that songs didn't have to be about fast cars, big waves, first love, or something else "safe" from general Establishment criticism. He wrote about things that really mattered during the 1960's and caught the attention of malcontents. His following might very well have been the first "underground" following. I never did care for his "voice" but man, could Dylan put meaningful lyrics together and certainly wasn't afraid to incur the rath of the powers that be! He more than anyone else, unleashed the scope of lyrical content. And, he reached those who would become the Activists of the day as well as the musicians struggling to define themselves. Bridging the gap between Folk primarily and the Pop music, he showed us that Music was just Music and it was the content that mattered. His major influence was on the Songwriters of course.

Hmmm, that's more than a sentence isn't it LTLH.

Let me start again:

Dylan: Revolutionized Songwriting.

Zeppelin: Starting out with Blues as a basis, they developed a unique style that was not only very popular, but launched what would become Metal as a genre. My favorite of theirs was not "Stairway" but rather "Battle of Evermore".

Hendrix: Well shoot! One sentence? Redefined guitar as an instrument and did things with the Studio after recording that pretty much defined how recordings should sound during the day. Also introduced effects pedals during performances. That's as far down as I can cut comments on Hendrix and it leaves so much OUT.

Presley: He did help maybe more than anyone other than Chuck Berry, break the racial barriers in the 50's by crossing boundries. But it was more than just racial barriers, he broke the rules separating Gospel, Blues, Country and Sock-hop and came up with a totally different sound for the listeners. I don't know what it should be called, maybe "Rock & Roll"? Sort of? Maybe?

Chuck Berry: "THE" mold breaker. An original "outlaw". Introduced White Music to Blacks, and introduced Black Music to Whites. He put it all together during a time when there was no common ground between Blacks and Whites and did it with a sound that inspired so many new acts to follow that it became a standard that IS called Rock and Roll. Popular? In his day YES. But more importantly, primitive as his sound was, it was the undisputed foundation for what would be come THE "Everlasting Sound". So far anyway.

Stones: Probalby the "model" Brit Blues band. They sort of defined the "Bad Boy" image...wild, unruly, nonconformists...the antithesis of the Beatles who formed the other side of the Brit Invasion when both groups were gaining popularity in the Early Sixties. Kind of funny that eventually the Beatles also followed the lifestyle set by the Stones example <LOL> But the Stones had influence on Society during the day, exceeded only by the Beatles (in my humble opinion anyway).

Joplin: This one is tough for me to say, but influence-wise, it's hard to state. She was a high soprano in the church choir back in Texas, but seldom or never used that voice in performances. She mimicked the sound of her idol Etta James...I think it was James that she heard performing in Louisiana. She was a White Girl belting out Blues like no other White chick had ever done. She was one of the original "Flower Children" of the Haight Ashbury crowd that included the Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane, but her sound was unique. She just MOVED people with her voice. Moved them to love or hate because there just wasn't any middle ground when it came to Janis. Probably was the cause of the popularity of "Southern Comfort" <LOL> and unfortunately, heroine as well. But she could sure wail the Blues! While I'm not sure that she should be in consideration for most influential for Music Culture, she is way up there in the Top Of The List in singers who influenced ME back in the late Sixties. One of the few Blues artists who was really doing anything at that time.

Beach Boys: I think that Brian Wilson pretty much defined, along with Jimi Hendrix, what could be done in the Studio after the recording and before release (Production). Brilliant songwriter! Introduced technical harmonies that up until their releases of Pop music, hadn't really been done successfully. And like it or not, the BB's were the major contention in America at least, for the Beatles though they fed off of each other as the two monster groups of the day with a third being the Stones.

I'll leave Michael Jackson and Aretha for someone else to summarize. I loved Aretha though she was R&B instead of pure Blues...but that's what made her unique.

Michael Jackson, I'm sorry. I'm breaking every rule I've set for myself in objectivity. Please totally ignore this...it is MY problem. But I had to put something down because I've commented on all the others.

Fan_For_Life
07-18-2009, 11:14 AM
The Stones have been around as long as the Beatles, unlike the Beatles they are still The Stones. :) This is one of the reasons I included Aerosmith on my previous list because they have managed to stay together.

I have a concert of Rolling Stone on video and have to tell you the stage presence of this band speaks for itself. The way Mick pours it out on stage is something to see.

I remember thinking this band was classic when they came to town sometime back in late 80's to The Gator Bowl Stadium(name at the time). I was just starting to appreciate songs like Satisfaction, Jumping Jack Flash among other great songs they've made. So to know they were in my city was very interesting but of course didn't go. I don't think there is a RS song I don't like.

EagleLady
07-18-2009, 11:15 AM
They've been around as long as the Beatles, unlike the Beatles they are still The Stones. :) I have a concert of theirs on video and have to tell you the stage presence of this band speaks for itself. The way Mick pours it out on stage is something to see.

I remember thinking this band was classic when they came to town sometime back in late 80's to The Gator Bowl Stadium(name at the time). I was just starting to appreciate songs like Satisfaction, Jumping Jack Flash among other great songs they've made. So to know they were in my city was very interesting but of course didn't go. I don't think there is a RS song I don't like.

Don't be dissing The Beatles now :hilarious: :fight:

TimothyBFan
07-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Willie's Top 5:

Led Zeppelin
Elvis Presley
Bob Dylan
Jimi Hendrix
Rolling Stones

Prettymaid
07-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Elvis Presley
Chuck Berry
Jimi Hendrix
Michael Jackson
Bob Dylan

luvthelighthouse
07-18-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks for those comments, because really, they back up my own thougths. The Stones are on the list more for longevity than anything else. They really didn't do anything groundbreaking. They were/are a popular band. Wait, calm down, I will give credit to the first "purposeful" video. Yes, that would be a contribution... but in my mind, I guess the first video still goes to the the Doors. Now, I'm not dissing the Stones at all! Kudos to them for being around and together for over 40 years, that is an accomplishment in and of itself... to me, I guess I'm just looking for the foundation layers of the era's for "this" exercise in music history. :)

As for Janis, I know she wasn't the first woman out there, but boy did she lay the pavement for the women that came after her. A woman making it in a man's world... loved by both sexes. Raw. She wasn't the ladylike persona on stage most were used to...she was kinda raunchy, she redifed women in music. I dunno... she's not my style, but I can't help but give her credit for laying foundation for the ladies. I think I read that Cheap Thrills (with Big Brother) was the first album to reach #1 status with a woman singing lead.

Dylan, again, not a fan of the voice, but lyrics... who can deny what he did for songwriting. Yes, I'm repeating myself... I know, I know. :)

I'm still not sold on the Beach Boys either. I don't want my records overproduced, that's why I perfer live versions so much better. Heck, in person I can't sing at all, but produce me in a studio and I'd too could sound like Britney Spears. :hilarious:

Chuck Berry -Groundbreaking for the racial barrier aspect ... and perhaps "inventing" rock and roll?

Zeppelin - Jury is still out on them too.

Elvis - too me, he's almost the cliche here... should he win, I dunno! Yes, he did a lot to cross over genre's and swing his hips, but I'm not sure if he's going to be the clearcut winner.

Hendrix - well, no denying his guitar skills

MJ & Aretha - Not doing anything for me in the way of the top 10. If someone wants to try to sell me on them, I'll certainly listen.

I swear I'm talking(typing) outloud a lot during this contest!

Brooke
07-18-2009, 01:20 PM
All of these bands/people in this contest are just out of this world when it comes right down to it. How to pick 'the greatest'; very, very hard.

I know I was one that said in one of the first rounds that I finally had to go with my heart. I don't know anything about music other than what I like, so Mike's and others comments have really helped me out.

As far as loving these final five goes, none of them are my very favorites.

I do love some of the Stones songs. I have their 40 Licks album and it's fantastic. Love, love, love Honkey Tonk Woman, Satisfaction, Gimme Shelter,It's Only Rock & Roll, ok-most all the songs on this cd set! But as far as any of their other albums, nope. But when I finally got to go see them in concert, it was kind of an out of body experience! Just to be in the same room as these icons of rock & roll was just thrilling. What a show they put on!

Led Zep. Back in the day, I didn't really like them at all. It's only been in the last 3 or 4 years that I've come to appreciate their music and the dvd era has helped that along immensely. If only I'd known what Robert Plant and Jimmie Page looked like back then! Sorry, this isn't a 'good looks' contest, but ........I'm just sayin'! I love Kashmir and All My Love along with Stairway.

Elvis. I've always loved a lot of his later songs, but the really early ones are just too 'early' for me. I only have his 30 #1's cd and I really don't listen to it much. But I loved seeing him on tv and there's no question about him being one of the Kings of Rock & Roll.

Chuck Berry-the only song I've bought of his is the Christmas one-Run, Run Rudolph! But what he did for Rock & Roll-he made it! And I always like to hear some of his songs on the radio.

Bob Dylan-don't like his singing at all, but yep, he can write it. I don't own a single cd or song.

So, that's my top five list!

Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
Elvis Presley
Chuck Berry
Bob Dylan

luvthelighthouse
07-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Mike didn't say would voting would close, so I'm going to reserve my right to change this, if someone should sell me on something different.

LTL's Top Five:

Elvis Presley

Chuck Berry

Jimi Hendrix

Bob Dylan

Janis Joplin

It pained me to cut Zeppelin, but I truly believe the above five were major contributors to their era and all music that came after them.

Fan_For_Life
07-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Aretha Franklin
Chuck Berry
Elvis Presley
Jimi Hendrix
Rolling Stones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP2VyquMAaM

luvthelighthouse
07-18-2009, 04:55 PM
FFL, I like your agruement for the Stones! :hilarious:

MikeA
07-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Here's my 5 picks. I can cut this down to three, but I swear, I don't know how to narrow that THREE to ONE.

Oh, just a bit of excuse. I didn't include Elvis Presley (oh sacrilege!) I didn't include him because I thought he was as much popularized by his Movies as records. There is no gainsaying his musical contributions, nor his popularity and especially his incidental impact on the Social front. But "musically" alone? I don't know and it was between him and Chuck Berry. The rest...well, there could be only FIVE.

Of that Five, Man is it going to be tough. I can talk my self into ANY of them! I honestly think that it is going to come down to Hendrix and Dylan when it comes to the absolute most significant influence on Music and its Culture.

Dylan for genius with lyrics and poetry and the groundbreaking subject matter of songs. He revolutionized songwriting.

Hendrix: He instructed the world on how guitars and amplifiers and effects pedals could become and would become impossible to omit from Rock and Roll. Plus his genius in the Studio. The Studio became his Second Weapon employed in revolutionizing Popular Music.

Metophorically speaking, Chuck Berry broke the ice. Hendrix and Dylan totally vaporized it. Zep and the Stones came up with new and better ways to condense, refreeze and package it. Music of the Seventies through today would not be what it is today without any of the 5 of these entries.

I would not even think of criticizing anyone selecting any of the other five either (Jackson, Who, Franklin, Joplin and of course Elvis Presley)! They were all MAJOR influences that guided music into what we each have passion for today.

Bob Dylan
Chuck Berry
Jimi Hendrix
Led Zeppelin
Rolling Stones

MikeA
07-18-2009, 06:52 PM
With SEVEN ballots cast, here are the intermediate results. I'll cut off the voting Monday morning at 7am.

With 6 Votes

Chuck Berry
Elvis Presley
Jimi Hendrix

With 5 Votes:

Bob Dylan
Rolling Stones

With 4 Votes

Led Zeppelin

With 1 Vote

Aretha Franklin
Janis Joplin
Michael Jackson

eaglesvet
07-18-2009, 09:43 PM
I would not even think of criticizing anyone selecting any of the other five either (Jackson, Who, Franklin, Joplin and of course Elvis Presley)! They were all MAJOR influences that guided music into what we each have passion for today.A Freudian slip, Mike? Don't you mean the Beach Boys and not the Who? :hilarious:

EagleLady
07-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Hey :fight: You can't leave out The Who :fingerwag:

eaglesvet
07-18-2009, 09:45 PM
Aretha Franklin
Bob Dylan
Rolling Stones
Beach Boys
Chuck Berry

Maleah
07-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Oh my gosh this is hard! I think you could find an argument for each of the remaining artists! However, I'll try to narrow it down to 5!

Elvis Presley - the thing with Elvis is....he revolutionized EVERYTHING! The world about stood still when he died....you don't get that from just any every day artist. I think he set a standard for a lot of artists in the stage show he put on as well. From all his fancy costumes to the way he poured everything out on stage. Also, I think he was one of the first music stars to make it as a movie star as well. I could be wrong, but he's the only one I can actually remember from that time.

Chuck Berry - What can you say that hasn't already been said? The man basically created rock & roll.

Jimi Hendrix - As I said before....of the guitarists who came AFTER him....it might be easier to name those NOT influenced by him than it would be to name those who were. I would be willing to bet that the list would be much shorter of those not. lol Look at John Mayer for instance.

Michael Jackson - The thing is, though I'm not a huge MJ fan....you just can't ignore the impact that he had on music. He was one of the only entertainers to take on Elvis' stage presence and expand on it many times more. I don't know if there would really BE a "pop" music if it hadn't been for Michael Jackson. Let alone the fact that he revolutionized the music video world AND the dance world as well. As with Jimi Hendrix and the guitarists that came after him, it's hard to find an artist in the pop/r&b/hip hop genres these days that wasn't influenced in some way by MJ.

Bob Dylan - Again.....ask many of music's top songwriters who came after Dylan who influenced them......and I guarantee you his name pops up. I've never listened to much of his music because I don't care for his voice. But one cannot deny his incredible lyricism!

luvthelighthouse
07-18-2009, 11:01 PM
Meleah, is that your Top five list then? Or were you only commenting on five? BTW, I'm glad you joined in the fun w/us!

I have say, the top three I think I have in my head, but narrowing it down after that is gonna be too hard for me! I happen to love most songs because of their lyrics, so it's no surprise Dylan is gonna be one of mine. I'll leave out the others for now, as we aren't that far in the game yet.

Maleah
07-18-2009, 11:17 PM
Oops! Yep that's my top 5! lol And thanks, I'm glad I ventured into the voting too! Lots of interesting and fun discussion :thumbsup:

MikeA
07-19-2009, 08:03 AM
A Freudian slip, Mike? Don't you mean the Beach Boys and not the Who? :hilarious:

Not a Freudian Slip. CRS! That happens a LOT. Besides, I like the WHO better than the Beach Boys anyway <LOL>. I was into the "Bad Boys" more than all them clean-cut types (Beach Boys, Beatles, etc.)

But actually, I just mis-remembered who was on our top-10 when I wrote that. Trying to justify my picks more to myself than anything else. It would be so much easier if we were picking out who we "liked" best. I assure the Who would have been much further up MY list!

cynd1231
07-19-2009, 12:16 PM
Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
Jimi Hendrix
Bob Dylan
Janis Joplin

sodascouts
07-19-2009, 02:18 PM
I have to say it's interesting that most of these are not bands, but people! Perhaps it's the individuals who really do stand out. My five:

Elvis Presley

Michael Jackson

Beach Boys

Bob Dylan

Janis Joplin

Freypower
07-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Chuck Berry
Bob Dylan
Jimi Hendrix
Led Zeppelin
Rolling Stones

How do I make a case for these artists? I am not really even a Chuck Berry fan but I defer to Maleah's comment that he 'created rock'n'roll'. All those memorable riffs, the duckwalk, the risque lyrics ('can you imagine the way I felt/I couldn't unfasten her safety belt'). To have heard these songs of teenage rebellion and FUN back then must have really shaken the establishment up. Plus, Berry was a black guitarist and apart from Hendrix, not that many black musicians have followed in his footsteps, turning to soul & R&B instead of rock (as they were probably right to, of course).

Bob Dylan - well, where do I start? I can't do this. He took folk music and made it iconic. He then made rock music intelligent in terms of what you could say lyrically. His influence on the Beatles and all successive 'serious' songwriters can't be stressed enough. I know many people don't like his singing (I urge you to listen again to Like A Rolling Stone or Lay Lady Lay for the extraordinary way he was able to vary the sound of his voice, if you don't think he is a great singer). So many of his songs are so iconic that they still leave me gobsmacked and awestruck when I listen to them (and yes, that is my heart talking there).

Jimi Hendrix - the most influential instrumentalist ever. The king of cool. By the way he was a great singer too (listen to Hey Joe or The Wind Cries Mary). He had extraordinary stage presence.

Led Zeppelin - no current band can deny being influenced by them. They covered literally every genre from heavy metal (Whole Lotta Love) to blues (Gallows Pole, Since I've Been Loving You) to prog rock (most of Physical Graffiti) to folk rock epics (Stairway To Heaven) to funk (Trampled Underfoot) to bucolic celebrations of the English landscape (Down By The Seaside) to humour (D'Yer Mak'Er, Black Country Woman) to slick power pop (Fool In The Rain) and even to world music (Kashmir). These songs have stood the test of time so well that they cannot be ignored.

Rolling Stones - again I could just list the songs. All I will say is Mick & Keef rule. I cannot analyse the Rolling Stones because they are too important to me.

MikeA
07-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Nancy, do you think that being in a group dilutes the recognition of the individuals? Maybe it is "easier" for an individual to gain attention...more focus entirely on him or her rather than being focused on a group where individual recognition for contribution is less acknowledged.

Interesting observation.

Ive always been a dreamer
07-19-2009, 10:51 PM
My heart is telling me that at least one woman belongs in the top 5, so I struggled long and hard to decide if it should be Aretha or Janis and Aretha won out. It really won't make a difference in the final talley, but here goes my top 5:

Aretha Franklin
Chuck Berry
Elvis Presley
Jimi Hendrix
Rolling Stones

MikeA
07-20-2009, 08:34 AM
Voting is Over.
Here is the top-Five

With 10 votes

Bob Dylan
Chuck Berry