PDA

View Full Version : Celebration of "Glenn Frey Live"

Ive always been a dreamer
07-20-2009, 01:05 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY "LIVE"

I noticed earlier in "Today In Eagles' History" that on this date in 1993, Glenn's "Live" album was released. This was, of course, taped in Dublin on July 8, 1992, and a DVD of the show was also released. I love this CD for it's "energy and enthusiasm", and also because it's the only CD I have that includes him performing Wild Mountain Thyme and Desperado. It great to have live versions of many of his solo songs as well.

sodascouts
07-20-2009, 09:16 PM
I love it, too, as I said in the thread about its taping. What a great show!

Freypower
07-20-2009, 09:26 PM
It is just great to have 'official' versions of WMT and Desperado that you can sigh over when you are listening to them.

GlennLover
07-21-2009, 12:13 AM
:sigh: :sigh: :sigh:! (I'm listening to WMT now)

Koala
07-21-2009, 12:35 AM
Ah, what a great livealbum! I love the whole album! :thumbsup:
But especially I love Wild Mountain Thyme , Desperado and The One You Love! :)

Glennsallnighter
07-21-2009, 03:49 AM
Its a great video and cd. I must say I love Glenn :heart:s version of 'Partytown' Alas not on the cd, but well worth a look at on the video. I love Glenn :heart: singing 'Desperado' on the cd and also 'HT'. 'Live' was actually the first Glenn :heart: cd that I bought.

Troubadour
07-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Aw, Happy Birthday to 'Live'! I have the DVD and it is fantastic. Wild Mountain Thyme always gets me.

Brooke
07-21-2009, 04:28 PM
Hmmmmm, I don't have it. :shock: Sounds like I need to get it!

GlennLover
07-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Sounds like I need to get it!

Belive me, Brooke, you do need to get it!:hilarious:

Freypower
07-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Although I think it's only fair to point out that the audio of 'Live' is the same as the video, i.e. it is just the audio version.

Glennsallnighter
07-22-2009, 05:53 PM
.....apart from the 2 minutes of added 'Ole Ole Ole' from the audience after 'Heartache Tonight' which isn't on the video (Thank God)

Freypower
07-22-2009, 06:49 PM
That part is on the video isn't it? I always thought they were doing some sort of Irish football chant.

Glennsallnighter
07-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Well on my video version its cut. that doesn't mean it was cut on the 'original' though. It IS an Irish football chant, but its a bit of a pain having to go through it every time I put on the cd.

GlennLover
07-22-2009, 10:41 PM
It's not on my version of the video either.

Freypower
07-23-2009, 06:48 PM
Next time you watch it at the end of Heartache Tonight you can hear them clearly chanting what sounds like 'ole ole'. Perhaps it's more obvious to me because I am a 'real' football (soccer) fan. I just love that audience. The looks on their faces when he's doing WMT are wonderful to see.

Freypower
04-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Rather than starting a new thread I thought I'd revive this one. If you could release a new Glenn live album where ALL the tracks are DIFFERENT from the original which songs would you include? This is where we have a major divergence from the topic Dreamer started for Don. Again, you can have 14 -16 songs.

The tracks on GF Live are:

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/livedublin/index.htm

OK, here is mine. Some of these songs are currently in his solo setlist but I'd like to see him do them.

I Found Somebody
Some Kind Of Blue
You Are Not Alone
You Belong To The City
Show Biz Kids
James Dean
Somebody
A Walk In The Dark
Some Kind Of Wonderful
Outlaw Man
Take It To The Limit
Before The Ship Goes Down
After Hours
It's Your World Now
I Love To Watch A Woman Dance
Part Of Me, Part Of You

I included some LROOE tracks because, sadly, there would appear to be more chance that he would do them on his own than he would with the Eagles (and in fact, as we know, he already has done so). Other than that I accept the track listing is wildly personal and unrealistic.

sodascouts
04-02-2010, 07:18 PM
At first I didn't see this post tucked away in this old thread! At any rate, here's my "alternative" list (please note I am abandoning any sense of realism):

Part of Me, Part of You (in its entirety!!)
I Volunteer
That Girl
Lover's Moon
I Love to Watch a Woman Dance
You Are Not Alone
I Dreamed There Was No War
You Belong to the City
Brave New World
Outlaw Man
Ain't It Love
This Way to Happiness
Already Gone
Take It to the Limit (electric)
My Girl
After Hours

Freypower
04-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Soda, that is a wonderful list. Either yours or mine would be a heaven sent experience.

Neither of us thought of I Hear You Knockin', which is a song he DOES play. I would include that if I could.

But he would have to close with POMPOY, not open with it. He would have to just build up to the electrifying moment when he actually sang the damn thing properly.

Koala
04-03-2010, 02:33 AM
Here my tracklist

You Belong To The City
I Love to Watch a Woman Dance
Brave New World
Somebody
Some Kind Of Wonderful
A Walk In The Dark
Take It To The Limit
Lovers Moon
This Way to Happiness
You Are Not Alone
The Allnighter
Already Gone
Common Ground
Part of Me, Part of You

Glennsallnighter
04-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Ooooh what a yummy little project to get my (chocolate covered) teeth into this Easter.

sodascouts
07-20-2015, 09:51 AM
Gosh, I can't believe it's been five years since we wished this album a happy birthday! I guess it gets overshadowed a bit because today is also the anniversary of the release of Tim's Tell Me the Truth.

As someone planning on visiting Dublin very soon, I'm especially glad to say...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GLENN FREY LIVE IN DUBLIN!

AlreadyGone95
07-20-2015, 11:44 AM
I didn't realize that there was a cd that was also released. I just thought that it was just the video (which I'm overdue for a viewing of. 3 times ain't enough time spent with it!).

Anyway, Happy anniversary to this album!

I'll have to see if I can get it on Amazon when I get a chance.

Continuing with the theme above, my choices for a Glenn Frey live album: (in no particular order)
Long Hot Summer
Outlaw Man
Smuggler's Blues
James Dean
I've got Mine
I Dreamed there was no War
Somebody
True Love
You Belong to the City
The Heat is On
Love in the 21st Century
The One You Love
All those Lies
Part of me, Part of You
My Girl
Desperado

Glennsallnighter
07-21-2015, 10:39 AM
And I'm looking forward to meeting up in Dublin Soda. If I can commandeer the TV off my kids for a while on Wednesday night a viewing of the DVD is a must.

Oh and I'm stocking up on Tequila and grenadine

Freypower
07-21-2015, 05:42 PM
In my view any Glenn Frey Live album would now need to included at least two or three After Hours songs.

GlennLover
07-21-2015, 07:32 PM
In my view any Glenn Frey Live album would now need to included at least two or three After Hours songs.

I agree, FP. Come on Glenn, give us another album! Soon!

07-21-2015, 10:32 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY "LIVE"

I'll repeat what I said earlier. I love this CD because it's the only CD I have that includes Glenn performing Wild Mountain Thyme and Desperado. I always enjoy it and will pop it into my CD player this week.

And GA and Soda, enjoy your celebration!

AlreadyGone95
07-22-2015, 01:44 AM
After Hours really isn't my kind of music. I mean no disrespect or anything, but I can't get into it. I've listened to it several times now, but it just doesn't click, so that's why I didn't put any songs from it on my list. I do enjoy Route 66, so I could add that song to my list. Maybe as I age, it might grow on me. I feel kind of bad by not enjoying the album (his voice is amazing on it).

I do agree with the "we want a new album" opinion.

Unfortunately, I've yet to have time to sit down and watch the dvd (aa I don't have the cd yet). I love hearing him sing Desperado. (And every other song on the album!)

Funk 50
07-22-2015, 02:05 PM
I love this CD because it's the only CD I have that includes Glenn performing Wild Mountain Thyme and Desperado

Like Desperado, I've heard many versions of Wild Mountain Thyme but Glenn's Live In Dublin version is definitely my favourite.

Looking at the list on Wikipedia; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Mountain_Thyme

I notice the latest version is on James Taylor's new 2015 album, Before ThisWorld. I have Van Morrison, Rod Stewart and Kate Rusby's versions, I'll have to check out Mark Knopfler's.

Wild Mountain Thyme is a lovely song and perfect for Glenn's voice. It would always sneak onto my Eagles 1990s Live compilation discs :)

It looks like this show was the only time Glenn ever performed it. :stunned:

L101
07-22-2015, 02:28 PM
I love James Taylor's version of Wild Mountain Thyme on his album, Before This World.

That song is one of my favorites and I always love to hear different versions of it. Next one now, has to be Glenn's version.......:grin:

ETA: Well, just listened to Glenn singing Wild Mountain Thyme and WOW!!
That song really suits his voice, and it sounds amazing live. Would love to see him sing that. I'll have to start a 'Wild Mountain Thyme' playlist just like my 'Hallelujah' one !!

Freypower
07-22-2015, 06:33 PM
Like Desperado, I've heard many versions of Wild Mountain Thyme but Glenn's Live In Dublin version is definitely my favourite.

Looking at the list on Wikipedia; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Mountain_Thyme

I notice the latest version is on James Taylor's new 2015 album, Before ThisWorld. I have Van Morrison, Rod Stewart and Kate Rusby's versions, I'll have to check out Mark Knopfler's.

Wild Mountain Thyme is a lovely song and perfect for Glenn's voice. It would always sneak onto my Eagles 1990s Live compilation discs :)

It looks like this show was the only time Glenn ever performed it. :stunned:

Knopfler's version is from the A Shot At Glory soundtrack & is instrumental.

Glenn's version of it is absolutely phenomenal & the audience reaction & participation even more so.

FWIW
07-08-2016, 01:21 PM
Bumping this thread to wish a very happy birthday to the recording of Glenn Frey Live in Dublin. Can it be that it has been 24 years since this show?!

AlreadyGone95
07-09-2016, 11:21 AM
Happy 24th anniversary to the show!

Looking over this thread, I see that last year I made the comment about not knowing that there was a CD version and that I would have to get it soon. Well, "soon" took nearly a year. I bought a cassette tape of it a few months ago, but I ordered a CD copy from eBay a few days ago. The tracking info says that it should be here today. I don't like cassettes much as I find them annoying to play sometimes, so I'm glad to get it on CD.

WS82Classics
07-09-2016, 01:28 PM
This one's an interesting concoction.

Stompers like "The Heat is On" and "Heartache Tonight" really aren't meant to be played in such intimate settings as a VH-1 special, and as such come off sounding a little watered-down. "Love in the 21st Century" is an improvement over the original. Most of his other solo performances on this album tack very close to the originals.

He does, however, make efforts at adding flavour to the Eagles songs. The idea of doing a medley of "Lyin' Eyes" and "Take it Easy" was almost pure genius, though it does fail at melding the two stories together cleanly and creating a whole new story(I did this in fusing together Tom Petty's songs "Free Fallin'" and "Into the Great Wide Open"). Was nice to hear a Frey-lead vocal for "Desperado." That said, the condensed version of "Peaceful, Easy Feeling" is only for those who are fans of brevity as opposed to the whole song.

The one entirely 'new' song(as in, never released by Glenn or the Eagles prior to this album) is his cover of the Byrds' "Wild Mountain Thyme," which is far and away the best song on this album and the best version of the song.

I do have a serious misgiving with the way the tracks are cut. For instance, the part where Frey is talking about "Wild Mountain Thyme" is featured at the end of "The One You Love," and the part where he's talking about "Strange Weather" is featured at the end of WMT. It makes better sense to feature these little introductory bits at the beginning of the songs being introduced. When I go to do videos for these songs, I'll be sure to re-cut them into the proper form.

All in all, this one probably doesn't rise to the level of "Eagles Live" or the recently-released '86 radio broadcast, but it does have some very worthwhile tracks.

Freypower
07-09-2016, 08:51 PM
This one's an interesting concoction.

Stompers like "The Heat is On" and "Heartache Tonight" really aren't meant to be played in such intimate settings as a VH-1 special, and as such come off sounding a little watered-down. "Love in the 21st Century" is an improvement over the original. Most of his other solo performances on this album tack very close to the originals.

He does, however, make efforts at adding flavour to the Eagles songs. The idea of doing a medley of "Lyin' Eyes" and "Take it Easy" was almost pure genius, though it does fail at melding the two stories together cleanly and creating a whole new story(I did this in fusing together Tom Petty's songs "Free Fallin'" and "Into the Great Wide Open"). Was nice to hear a Frey-lead vocal for "Desperado." That said, the condensed version of "Peaceful, Easy Feeling" is only for those who are fans of brevity as opposed to the whole song.

The one entirely 'new' song(as in, never released by Glenn or the Eagles prior to this album) is his cover of the Byrds' "Wild Mountain Thyme," which is far and away the best song on this album and the best version of the song.

I do have a serious misgiving with the way the tracks are cut. For instance, the part where Frey is talking about "Wild Mountain Thyme" is featured at the end of "The One You Love," and the part where he's talking about "Strange Weather" is featured at the end of WMT. It makes better sense to feature these little introductory bits at the beginning of the songs being introduced. When I go to do videos for these songs, I'll be sure to re-cut them into the proper form.

All in all, this one probably doesn't rise to the level of "Eagles Live" or the recently-released '86 radio broadcast, but it does have some very worthwhile tracks.

But it isn't an intimate setting or a TV special. It was recorded & fIlmed at Dublin's National Stadium. It was part of a proper European tour.

WS82Classics
07-09-2016, 09:57 PM
But it isn't an intimate setting or a TV special. It was recorded & fIlmed at Dublin's National Stadium. It was part of a proper European tour.

My very bad. I was under the impression all along that it was filmed as some sort of a VH-1/MTV special.

Oof...

ETA: I confused the VHS tape the concert was first released on with the VH-1 television channel. My mind is a mysterious being...

UndertheWire
07-10-2016, 10:09 AM
I bought this to hear Glenn sing Desperado and wasn't disappointed. Tomorrow will the third anniversary of my purchase. I like the concert but not as much as the 1982 bootleg.

AlreadyGone95
07-20-2016, 01:33 PM
Happy 23rd anniversary to release of Live in Dublin

07-20-2016, 08:54 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY 'GLENN FREY LIVE'.

I thought about playing the CD during my commute time today, but somehow I didn't think it would be a good idea. I would have probably have to pull off the road when Wild Mountain Thyme and Desperado came on. Love this album, as well as the DVD.

Glennsallnighter
07-21-2016, 07:07 PM
I love them too Dreamer ❤️❤️. And I've really had to exercise self control or pull in as well when certain songs come on. Will we ever get used to this Brave New World that we have to exist in?

UndertheWire
08-10-2016, 08:57 AM
This week, I found a PAL VHS tape on eBay and made an offer which was accepted. Now I've just got to work out how to connect that old VHS player. Will it still work?

AlreadyGone95
08-10-2016, 11:21 AM
This week, I found a PAL VHS tape on eBay and made an offer which was accepted. Now I've just got to work out how to connect that old VHS player. Will it still work?

I hope it does still work. I can't remember if it's worldwide or not, but I know that in the states, VCRs are no longer being manufactured.

buffyfan145
08-10-2016, 04:42 PM
It's worldwide about the VCRs. Sad too as we can't watch any of our old tapes anymore, especially our home movies. Haven't been able to watch tapes in years. Hopefully can find some way to convert the home movies.

UndertheWire
08-12-2016, 06:57 PM
I just plugged it in and it all worked. This was my backup VCR player and it's spent most of its life in a box. I'm glad I didn't throw it out. The tape's in pretty good condition considering it must be 20 years old and although the picture looks a bit fuzzy on an HD screen, it's still a lot better than the clips I've seen on youtube. It sounds slightly different to the CD of the show. A surprise bonus is the promo video for "Love in the 21st Century". Of all Glenn's videos, that wouldn't have been my choice!