PDA

View Full Version : Australian Reviews November 2004

Freypower
11-20-2006, 08:30 PM
A word of explanation here. There are several pages of this so I will divide it into each night. I did post a lot more than this on Eagleland at the time but I only was able to keep the reviews. For Melbourne, there is no review but only something about the new songs as they were then. I'm going to cut out anything irrelevant so the posts won't be too long. Any inaccuracies reflect what was written at the time.

So the first post is about the new songs which I saw in Melbourne on November 14, 2004 and reads as follows:

One Day At A Time was a return to the Eagles' hallowed country rock style. It was fast, nice & loud. Joe played electric. Glenn acoustic & Don played percussion. Glenn & Tim sang harmonies. Joe sang about how he was blaming other people for his situation & finalyy realised it was down to him & he had to take responsibility to pull himself through. This was the gist of it. It was inspiring, uplifiting and may I add, superbly sung by Joe.

No More Cloudy Days - now this is difficult. Please bear with me.

They were in the acoustic formation at the start of the second half. Tim, Don, Glenn, Joe. They had finished Tequila Sunrise. Then Glenn told us about the song. He said that when they performed it in Perth & it rained 'I opened my eyes once & it was pouring with rain... it was fun, when we finished it'.

He started vigorously strumming his acoustic guitar & then they all chimed in. Then he started singing. All I can remember is it was a combination of the lyrics of This Way To Happiness & True Love - in fact I believe I posted beforehand that I thought it would be Son of True Love & sure enough he sang something like 'I know a place where true love stays' twice. He sang about 'I would never lie to you' (or let you down, something like that). They joined him in singing 'no more cloudy days' but it was lika a close, block harmony. Also, on a couple of words he soared up into falsetto. At the end of the song Al* did the inevitable sax solo. The reports have been that it was inspired by English* singer-songwriter David Gray, and I think Glenn wrote it by himself. It was positive, but it was pleading. It was heartfelt. More I can't tell you, yet.

When they finished the crowd erupted. Then he did something I have never seen before. He sat there & instead of saying 'thank you' in his usual exuberant style, he murmured 'thank you. Thank you very much' in a barely audible voice. He sounded very emotional.

HE was emotional. This is how I thought I was feeling. I thought 'my spine has turned to mush' - those are the exact words. I was literally melting away.

* NOTE: the solo is played by Chris & David Gray is Welsh, although Glenn called him Irish last year.

sodascouts
11-20-2006, 08:35 PM
What an eloquent review - it must have been so special, being one of the first to hear NMCD. I hadn't heard the details about Perth before, and how emotional he was. I can't wait to read more!

~
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/nancysigbanner.jpg

Freypower
11-20-2006, 08:40 PM
November 19, 2004

Tim fans alert - you would have loved last night. Tim looked incredibly sexy in the second half in the black T-shirt & tight jeans, especially when he stood with his legs apart. He did some nice moves during ICTYW - he threw his head right back near the end & closed his eyes. He looked really good. He & Don had a nice joke with each other at one point.

Joe's hair wasn't quite as slicked back as in Melbourne. He was pretty much the same. There were a few funny bits. In LBG everybody was cracking up with the lyrics & sound effects. It was 'they write me letters, tell me I'm overweight' & there was a 'come in'! at one point after a doorbell effect which Glenn thought was hilarious. The best part however which I will remember for a long time was during HC. The line 'she got a lot of pretty, pretty boys/she calls friends' Glenn blew a kiss at Joe & Joe laughed. The two of the really bounced off each other.

Don was also in a good mood. He & Glenn had a very nice moment at the start of BOS, I think. They just smiled at each other. It was very sweet. He again didn't talk much or rev up the crowd, just let his singing & drumming do the talking. The durm fills he does now during the band intros are spot on. By the way his hair was back to its normal (?) colour, not so dark brown.

Finally for the rest of the time I just stared. Glenn smiled a lot. I did the usual thing of watching his eyebrows & the way he moved. At the end of Funk#49 (which was great, because in the section before the last verse everybody struck poses) he turned around so I could see his butt & stuck his fingers out, making a gesture (I can't describe it except that he waved his fingers around). I still couldn't see the dancing in ASWTDID except that when he faced the keyboard & was still shaking his stuff, er, that was nice. His hair is a bit more layered on top. I know, because I couldn't stop looking at it. He stared at various parts of the crowd. After one of the encores he blew a kiss at someone near the front (no, it wasn't me, unfortunately). I don't know whether he caught sight of me or not. I fancied he did a couple of times, after all I was directly in front of him although eight rows back. I am sure Joe looked at me several times.

Freypower
11-20-2006, 09:01 PM
November 20, 2004

Let's start with basics - clothes:

Don - same as Friday. Good on you Don. You are nothing if not consistent.

Tim -grey shirt, black waistcoat (*vest) & jeans (first half - see Hong Kong photos, it was that outfit) & then black T-shirt & jeans, second half.

Birthday Boy - black suit, grey T-shirt, first half, & then he really gave us something to look at. Maroon T-shirt (the colour suits him very well, I must say), with black undershirt, & very colourful blue & orange trouses. And his hair was wavy. Very nice. Now I promise not to - no, I wll TRY not to get too heated up about this as I write.

Black jacket worn in Asia with the dragons. Pink shirt. Jeans.

Second half - pink & white candy striped shirt. Black T-shirt. Jeans.

As someone once said, someon'e gonna thank the stars above.

OK. Some comments (what I can remember):

Opening speech: 'those of you in the front seats who have cushions can use them as flotation devices'. This went into a parody of an airline safety demonstration with a patented 'thank you'. After that came the bit about 'it's Saturday night, we're gonna have a good time'.

Banter with Joe: 'Hey Joe, how are you'? 'Hi Glenn, I'm doin' great, how are you'? (G) 'I'm freakin' out'! (J) 'I'm freakin' out, how you doin' out there'? Then he started talking about spending all day watching cricket. The poor man. What a way to spend your birthday. He also talked about having spent four months in Sydney one night (!),drinking all the hotel minibars, & how the people who invited him deeply regretted it, but In The City was dedicated to them.

*There was absolutely no mention of his birthday.

Before Already Gone: 'this is from Hotel Califor- no, it's from On The Border. We only did six album & I can't remember them'.

Don before HITW: 'I want to go for a walk'. (I think someone had only just resumed their seat). Then he talked about how Glenn had helped him finish the song when he was stuck.

Before TITTL: Explanation of how they started playing it in Russia & Europe. 'It's a lot of fun for me to sing'.

And when he said 'thank you' after NKIT it was almost under his breath. The TITTL comment got me because I love hearing him talk about singing. I never dreamed I would be sitting in front of him while he did it.

You will all have to forgive me but last night was Glenn's night. This is just some of it:

Apart from all the head moving, when he wasn't actually singing during his own songs he still stood there with his eyes closed as if in another world*. Then when other people were singing he would do that 'miming' the lyrics. It was very hard to look away. During the 'mirrors on the ceiling' part of HC he looked totally transported.

Before Dirty Laundry he sort of moved his hips in the most sensuous way you can imagine. But the dancing in ASW didn't get that much response, really, though it was good to look at.

Heartache Tonight was the highlight of the entire show. Vocally it was brilliant. Now I believe that it was Scully who saw him in Grand Rapids do some -er - movements. Well, lucky me. He got to 'the moon shining bright' & pointed in the air. 'Turn out the light' he imitated turning off a light switch, 'we'll get it right' he just MOVED. Then he spent the rest of the vocal just singing & making hand movements like clicking his fingers & stretching his hands out. He didn't bother playing guitar except when he wasn't singing.

You had to be there, I suppose, but I was very, very happy.

He & Don exchanged lots of smiles. He did the same with Joe as he always does. Now I told a couple of people he & Tim didn't interact - well they did last night. The two of them had a great time. And something happened at the end which makes me hope for December 4. He & Tim both threw picks inot the audience. And all the wandering around the stage mouthing 'thank you' after encores was nice too. Oh, & then there was his butt. He turned around a lot.

Well, that is all I wanted to say. I know some of you wanted to hear about the other three but it wasn't the night for that, let me tell you. Oh, they were there. They just couldn't compete.

AND after interval I took my glass of champagne back in with me so I was drinking champagne while he was singing Tequila Sunrise. The Eagles is a group, right?

*someone said about that at the time 'it seems you were in that world with him'.http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/embarassed.gif

Z
11-20-2006, 09:19 PM
I love reading fan reviews!!! They were great, Jul. Thanks for posting them.

-------------

Cause I'm livin' on things that excite me,
Be they pastries or lobsters or love;
I'm just tryin' to get by being quiet and shy,
In a world full of pushin' and shove.

Freypower
11-20-2006, 09:24 PM
December 4, 2004. I didn't write a review of November 21 - I was blown out. Now this is the SECOND ROW show so it's even longer than the others.

I know the first thing you want answered - did she get recognition & if so was she thrown out? The answer is yes & no - no meaning not as much as I would have liked. I got two stares from Glenn during Lyin' Eyes & Funk#49. It's hard to tell if he is looking at you because his eyes are so narrow but in this case I was pretty sure. No smiles or anything. I was dead centre, right in front of him. When he was looking my way during Lyin' Eyes he threw in some sort of ad lib & I can't remember what it was. I think it was during the second verse.* I may have got the occasional glance from him but he mainly concentrated on what he was doing.

Joe, however. Joe, Joe, Joe. Here comes my big announcement. He has been staring at me EVERY show, Melbourne included. So he plays his solo in NKIT & I raise my hands & applaud. He gives me a nod. Just an acknowledgement to me! He would look at me, throughout, not smiling, but communicating, because I would look at him whenever I could drag my eyes away from Glenn. So now I've made the seismic switch. Joe is now my second favourite Eagle. I just love him.

Tim probably glanced my way a couple of times. He came right to the edge of the stage before Dirty Laundry which was great. Before LWKUA someone said they loved him & he said 'thank you' - I dedicate this song to you'. He talked about people eating ice cream - a bit of a sarcastic side to our friendly Tim (NOTE people took a long time to return to their seats).

It wasnt' Don's night & it hasn't been his tour, unfortunately. His singing on his solo songs was very ragged, except for Sunset Grill which had the best performance of the five shows. His Eagles songs were mostly sung pretty well, but they were patchy. In Desperado he just sounded tired. I noticed something that L&M talked about, I think - how he bends his knees before a high note. He did it during Wasted Time. His drumming was superb, as always. He did seem in a good mood though, having jokes with Joe during Glenn's solo in DL, & with Tim in the same song. The jumping up & down by all four of them during this song was an eye-openeer. I was also able to see that he was taking a bit more time to play guitar than I had noticed previously. Also he now sings a bit of backing vocals during YBTTC.

LBG nearly fell apart after the doorbell bit & Joe basically coudn't sing the next verse beause they were all laughing too much. Superb. Also - 'just leave a message, maybe Glenn'll call'. Those funny expressions on his face are priceless & yet he can also look so serious too. I loved watching his mouth while he was doing harmonies. He can have me, I think. Oh, wait a minute...

(then a bit on how the rest is all about Glenn).

Those shoes are nice. I saw them close up. He was wearing Levis. I know this because I saw the back pocket when he turned his back, he was so close. In the first half he was wearing a white T-shirt, & black open shirt. No jacket, I mean, really. He just looks better & better. Then he came out in the black T & the pink & white striped shirt he wore on the 20th.

There was lots of eyebrows activity. He moves them up & down like nobody's business. The look on his face during 'kinda bent, but we ain't breakin' was priceless. Quizzical, you could say. I kept looking at the bones in his fave. He has a prominent jaw, of course, but he has superb bone structure.

(Is this too much information)?

Oh, his hair. Remember HOF when it was a bit curled at the front. It was like this last night. It actually got wet. It just looked perfect. It is so much nicer since he's grown it out a bit.

The highlight of the show was again HT, because yet again it was brilliantly sung, & yet again he did all the moves. This is where I'm not sure that I didn't have something to do with it because he must have seen me devouring him. He started by not playing guitar at all. At the end - drum roll please - he said 'break my heart'.... & then he did the theatrical 'hand over his heart' bit. I nearly slid off the seat. As usual his voice was perfect throughout. I swear he is getting better the older he gets.

There were some nice moves during Funk#49. I keep talking about this because everyone strikes poses. He does a solo in it now so he was standing there with his legs wide apart - he did this a couple of times. At the end we got the speech about thanking us for our support,etc etc, and 'on behalf of all the band' thanking the promoter, etc. Then he said that 'God willing' they would be back. Then came the bit that really hit home. After Desperado, Don & Tim were standing next to each other. Glenn went over to them in the usual way & I expected Joe to join them for the bow. Instead, Glenn turned to Don & Tim & hugged them. It was a real 'this is the last show' moment. It was absolutely fantastic. I can't remember what happened then, whether Joe got a hug too (although he probably did) because I was so happy that I had seen this. THEN they did the bow &wave, etc. As he left the stage he started to take his shirt off.

Then I thank them for the tour.

*the ad lib was 'she won't have to worry MUCH' directed at me.

WHEW.

sodascouts
11-20-2006, 09:41 PM
Magnificent - and you know we are all eating up your Glenn details. Thank you so much for taking the trouble to retype these for us.

~
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/nancysigbanner.jpg

EasyFeeling
11-21-2006, 06:19 AM
Eating up the details... that's well-worded and so true. http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/happy.gif Oh, how I love to read your reviews, wonderful!

glenneaglesfan
11-21-2006, 04:38 PM
OMG, Julie. What an experience and what wonderful reviews. I can see why you were Joe struck as well, but Glenn... just magnificent. Oh God I can't even imagine what it would have been like. Thank you.

~~~

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/signature1.jpg

This way to happiness...

Brooke
11-21-2006, 06:45 PM
Thanks from me, too, Freypower! These are truly wonderful reviews! :D

~~~

"You know, people don't run out of dreams, people just run out of time."

EasyFeeling
11-21-2006, 07:24 PM
Before I go to bed I need to reread these reviews for a better sleep. http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/wink.gif

tengo ritmo
11-23-2006, 06:27 PM
Aww, those are fantastic reviews. Thanks for taking the time to type them up for us.

---

Mi aerodeslizador está lleno de anguilas ;)