PDA

View Full Version : Let's Get Harry

sodascouts
08-03-2009, 01:29 PM
A discussion was started about this movie in the Frey Fever thread and I thought I'd start a new thread about it.

I never thought it was that bad, especially comparing it to some of the awful movies I've been unfortunate enough to see.

Nowadays, you have to get it as a used VHS tape from places like Ebay, although if you want to see some clips you can do so here:
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/moviestv/letsgetharry.htm

It was the only movie in which Glenn stars. I wonder if its bad reception turned him off from feature films (although he obviously kept doing TV). I get the impression that his role in Jerry Maguire was just for a lark and not intended to be a reigniting of his acting career. I could be wrong, of course.

Any thoughts about this from those who've seen it, or even those who haven't?

Glennsallnighter
08-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Both the picture and the sidebar are gorgeous. I LOVE that chest, :inlove:

I know there are clips on the site but anybody know where I could get the movie in it entirety? Thanks

GlennLover
08-03-2009, 03:00 PM
anybody know where I could get the movie in it entirety? I got mine through Amazon. It wasn't from them directly, it was from one of the independent sellers that sell through them. It was a used copy of a rental tape which, I believe, is all that is avalable now. There were a number of sellers offering it so you should still be able to pick up a copy. Other than the cover being a bit worn, it was in excellent condition. No problem with the tape itself. I just got it a few months ago. I think it cost me about $5 American. The shipping was as much as the movie :hilarious:!

For the record, I didn't think it was a bad movie, just not my kind of movie, although, having said that- anything with Glenn in it is "my kind of movie", LOL!

GlennLover
08-03-2009, 04:57 PM
I just checked on Amazon.com. They currently have 15 copies available, from independent sellers, starting @ $3 US & most of them ship internationally. All but one is used.

Freypower
08-03-2009, 07:34 PM
I thought Glenn looked the most uncomfortable that I have ever seen him. There really is not much to say about his acting because he didn't have very much to do except display that white shirt. The lighting was so murky that you couldn't see what was going on half the time. The plot was barely believable - I am afraid that 'heroic rescue' movies are not my thing. Robert Duvall's performance was OK.

I actually went to SEE it in the cinema during its triumphant two week run, and then it was shown on primetime television so I taped it. I have not watched it for a very long time. I feel that everybody makes mistakes and this, unfortunately, was Glenn's biggest.

Ive always been a dreamer
08-03-2009, 08:04 PM
First of all, I don't definitely remember, but I think I got mine on Amazon too. IMO, if you can get this for a few dollars, it is certainly worth it.

Now, I have to say that I totally disagree with FP's assessment here. While I will acknowledge that the movie is not academy award material, I found it to be an enjoyable "action" film nonetheless. To me, a plot does not have to necessarily always be provocative or cerebral to be entertaining. As far as Glenn's acting, I actually think he held his own against some really fine actors such as Robert Duvall, Gary Busey, and Mark Harmon.

Glennsallnighter
08-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Worth a try thanks everyone. I'll go to Amazon. I'm used to P&P being more than the value of my purchases. Comes with living on an Island!!

GlennLover
08-03-2009, 08:46 PM
As far as Glenn's acting, I actually think he held his own against some really fine actors such as Robert Duvall, Gary Busey, and Mark Harmon

I agree, Dreamer. It's just that he didn't have a large part & I don't think that his character was supposed to be a dominant or dynamic one, by any means. I think he played it a it was intended.

I have only watched it once, as I said it wasn't my type of movie & I hven't had it that long. I wanted to watch it again to refresh my memory for this discussion. Wouldn't you know, part of the entertainment system in our living room, where the VCR was hooked up, went on the fritz & my husband has spent most of the day trying to hook up extra components that we had, to replace the malfunctioning one. Unfortunately, there won't be room for a VCR in our entertainment centre now as the other component is larger. :sad: (I don't dare tell him yet that I want a VCR hooked up elsewhere in the house so that I can rewatch Glenn's movie). He's already upset with me for spending so much time "On The Border".) I'll have to wait until he figures out how to connect the new components properly & he is in a better mood, or when I have the time to do it myself. :sigh:

08-03-2009, 10:20 PM
GL - Hope you get that VCR hooked up soon. Also, sorry hubby is cranky about your Border time. Too bad that he doesn't realize that when the wife is happy, then the hubby is happy! :lol:

Freypower
08-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Another thing worth commenting on is that the director, Stuart Rosenberg (of Cool Hand Luke fame) had his name removed from the credits, so this film is an Alan Smithee film (Alan Smithee is the psuedonym used in cases like this). So I wasn't the only one who thought it was mediocre at best. I don't know if I would like it better if I were to sit through it again.

However I have changed my mind regarding that photo and now feel I should save it for... historical reasons. :twisted:

In terms of what it was like I never get the chance to use smileys like this so here they are!

:machinegun::armed:

Prettymaid
08-04-2009, 07:08 AM
Interestingly enough, I have heard of the movie. As I said before, I had no idea Glenn was in it. That in itself would not be enough for me to buy it, but if there was ever an opportunity to watch it I'm sure I would want to now! I assume it airs on TV occasionally?

conniek
08-04-2009, 07:37 AM
I believe Timothy has a song on the soundtrack called "In the Circle". Is that correct?

sodascouts
08-04-2009, 06:56 PM
No, I don't think so, Connie.

You know, Glenn actually did have a big part - he was one of the stars. In the end his character really pulled it out and took care of those bad guys!

I believe that the director was displeased because the movie was recut so much that he didn't feel it reflected his vision anymore, not because of the acting or plot. He knew the plot going in, and it's pretty standard. Guy gets kidnapped by bad guys, friends go in and rescue him.

I think my biggest problem with the movie was its lack of character development for anyone but the mercenary, Shrike - and even that wasn't exactly expansive. It made it hard to get emotionally invested in any of the characters because we didn't really understand where they were coming from. You get hints - like Corey having an inferiority complex with Harry because of his dad's obvious favoritism and all of Harry's achievements. Another example is Kurt, whose abandoning the mission seems like an act of cowardice because you can barely remember the scene where his wife begs him not to go and which presumably was the character's main motivation there. I think if the director's cut had been maintained, such things would have been examined.

The acting, especially with stars like Robert Duvall and Gary Busey (who each have won Academy Awards), was not bad at all. Mark Harmon did well in his small part, and I liked Michael Schoeffling (Corey) as well - I recognized him from one of my favorite movies as a teen, Sixteen Candles. The only one I was unimpressed by was Thomas F. Wilson (Pachowski). He was fine playing Biff from Back to the Future, but he can't do much with a heavier role.

As for Glenn, I think in the first part of the movie Glenn wasn't really selling it, but by the scene in Jack's office where he does some fancy footwork to get Jack to fund the mission, he's into character and doing well. I forgot it was Glenn Frey and started buying into Spence.

The greatest movie ever? No. A horrible mistake for Glenn? Nah, I wouldn't go that far. I don't think it hurt him much.

sodascouts
08-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Interestingly enough, I have heard of the movie. As I said before, I had no idea Glenn was in it. That in itself would not be enough for me to buy it, but if there was ever an opportunity to watch it I'm sure I would want to now! I assume it airs on TV occasionally?

I'm afraid this did so poorly in the theaters for some reason that it went almost straight to video, and didn't enjoy a wide distribution there either. While it might have been shown on TV at some time, I'd say the occasions are few and far between - especially now, almost 25 years later.

08-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Soda - as far as your assessment of Let's Get Harry, I almost totally agree with everything you said except for the part about Glenn not selling his character at the start of the movie. I didn't have a problem with the way he handled the role in the beginning. They were all supposed to be just a few middle class blue collar guys living a fairly ordinary existence, and that's the way he played the part, IMO. As you said, rarely do these types of action movie plots delve into character development, so I can't blame the actor for that. Trying too hard to turn the character into something he's not usually comes across as overacting.

But, actually, the more I think about it, the more I think Glenn may have deserved an award - it must be pretty hard for Glenn to come across as ordinary! :wink:

conniek
08-05-2009, 07:28 AM
I did a little looking, because I know I read something about TBS and this movie. Found this on timothybschitonline.com :

"Timothy wrote and performed a song called In The Circle for the movie Let's Get Harry. Glenn Frey had a significant role in the film."

I have to admit that I haven't read that or seen it listed anywhere else. It was not listed in his discography, but was listed in a section with fun facts.

Not sure what to think!

sodascouts
08-05-2009, 11:01 AM
I think his song might have been used in the movie but not put on the soundtrack (I looked it up and he's not on that). Since timfan wrote the biography, she would know for sure - you can PM her to ask.

Freypower
08-05-2009, 07:08 PM
I have a vague memory that Working Man, which eventually appeared on Soul Searchin', was written for the film but not used. Tim's song was featured in a bar sequence, I remember that.

sodascouts
08-06-2009, 11:13 PM
Decided to watch the movie tonight, since we've been discussing it. Man, I feel so bad for Shrike! He got a raw deal! First he gets tortured, then he gets all shot up saving that idiot Pachowski! Poor guy! But I guess they needed to remove the "expert" in order to allow the "working stiffs" to save the day all by themselves. Of course, we lose Jack too, which also bummed me out. I guess he was also considered expendable since he was just the guy who financed the mission and not one of the Aurora Plumber Brigade.

Except for Jack's death, though, I love the end sequence where they raid the compound and rescue Harry - especially when Glenn's character Spence blows the place sky-high! Woot!

BTW Gary Busey (Jack) has appeared on a couple VH1 reality shows - one of which was Celebrity Rehab - and... wow. He's gotten kind of messed up.

GlennLover
08-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Hopefully I will get a chance to watch it again over the weekend & I'll have some fresh comments.

TimothyBFan
08-07-2009, 09:36 AM
BTW Gary Busey (Jack) has appeared on a couple VH1 reality shows - one of which was Celebrity Rehab - and... wow. He's gotten kind of messed up.

Kinda messed up is an understatement but I LOVE Gary Busey. He was a fantastic actor. Did you ever see him in the Buddy Holly Story years and years ago? Fantastic!!!! And he was crazy in the movie Black Sheep with Chris Farley and David Spade!

sodascouts
08-07-2009, 11:09 AM
I've never seen those movies, but I've seen clips of them. The Buddy Holly Story was truly exceptional, I hear.

sodascouts
10-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Amidst all the Halloween fun, let's not forget Let's Get Harry was released today! Unfortunately, its run was not too long. :(

10-31-2009, 02:29 PM
Happy anniversary to 'Let's Get Harry' - Glenn's only starring role in a full-length feature film. Man - if I had more time today, I'd watch the movie to 'refresh' my memory. :-(

GlennLover
10-31-2009, 04:20 PM
Happy anniversary to 'Let's Get Harry' - Glenn's only starring role in a full-length feature film. Man - if I had more time today, I'd watch the movie to 'refresh' my memory. :-(

My memory needs a "refresher" too :inlove:!

pueblo47
12-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Last night I was searching for this movie in DVD and came across it through Google, some place called hardtofind or something like that. Let me go back and pull up my order and I'll post it if you want it. Don't care how bad the movie is<G>, if it's got an Eagle in it, I'm watching it. Cuz I bought it.

Here it is, Rarity Movies Etc. Google it and look for Vendio Store.

sodascouts
10-31-2011, 12:36 AM
Let's Get Harry turns 25 today... and guess what! You can now stream the entire movie from Amazon.com or YouTube for about $3, or purchase it as a digital download for $15!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QV67AS

Glennsallnighter
10-31-2011, 07:07 AM
Ooooh might try that!

sodascouts
01-15-2012, 04:19 PM
I purchased LGH as a digital download and am now streaming it high def on my widescreen tv. Oh my gosh, what an upgrade from my crappy VHS copy! I recommend buying this even if you already have the VHS. The better clarity makes watching Mr. Frey that much more enjoyable!

Glennsallnighter
01-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Well done Soda. Unfortunately the digital download is unavailable outside of the USA.:shrug:

GlennLover
01-16-2012, 11:52 PM
Rats! I'd love to have the digital copy. We haven't had the VCR hooked up for awhile & I have been feeling the urge to watch LGH again!

sodascouts
01-17-2012, 01:27 AM
Boo! How unfair to the rest of the world!

Here's something bizarre: you can purchase LGH as a digital download, but not as a DVD. That makes no sense to me.

Wildthyme
01-20-2012, 06:13 AM
Can you burn it to a disc and make your own DVD?

Glennsallnighter
01-20-2012, 06:39 AM
I was wondering the same thing Cami!

sodascouts
01-21-2012, 12:53 AM
No, I'm afraid not.

sodascouts
10-31-2012, 11:37 AM
So, Let's Get Harry was released 26 years ago today! It may not be the best movie ever, but it's worth the purchase price, and it's cool Glenn got to star in a movie.

zeldabjr
10-31-2012, 12:43 PM
so where do you buy this movie Amazon?

sodascouts
10-31-2012, 12:50 PM
Follow this link:

http://www.amazon.com/Lets-Get-Harry/dp/B002QV67AS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351702189&sr=8-1&keywords=let%27s+get+harry

Grey Sadler
10-31-2012, 09:46 PM
Whoa...Glenn Frey and Mark Harmon in the same movie??
Guess what I'm renting through YT on my break this weekend?? :partytime:

VAisForEagleLovers
10-31-2012, 10:17 PM
Whoa...Glenn Frey and Mark Harmon in the same movie??
Guess what I'm renting through YT on my break this weekend?? :partytime:

I know! Two of the hottest men God ever created right there on the screen!

sodascouts
11-01-2012, 12:56 AM
Too bad they only have like two scenes together!

11-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Wow - You know how Amazon sends you email to let you know about merchandise that you may be interested in? Well, they hit the nail on the head today (almost). I got an email titled 'Let's Get Harry' and sure enough it was a promo for Glenn's movie. The only thing they forgot is that I already bought it from them several years ago. But, nonetheless, it made me feel good to see that title in an email. :thumbsup:

Glennsallnighter
11-21-2012, 04:46 PM
If it plays in Europe (Region 2) could you get it for me please Dreamer and throw it in with the Florida merch? Let me know what it costs! Only of you can!

zeldabjr
11-23-2012, 01:24 AM
I got the same email...titled "Let's Get Harry"...now what made them think I'd be interested in that particular movie?...gee I wonder!...I really need to get it...I'd be happy to get it for you GA if Dreamer doesn't...just let me know...

11-24-2012, 10:40 PM
GA - sorry to just be responding to this, but it's been a pretty hectic week for me. I actually mailed your t-shirt and keychains before you posted here, but I'll be glad to get a copy of Let's Get Harry for you and send it separately.

zeldabjr
11-24-2012, 11:09 PM
I looked on Amazon and they only have VHS and digital rental or buy...didn't see a DVD you can buy...hmm?

GlennLover
11-24-2012, 11:15 PM
I looked on Amazon and they only have VHS and digital rental or buy...didn't see a DVD you can buy...hmm?

Unfortunately, it wasn't released in DVD. :-(

zeldabjr
11-24-2012, 11:22 PM
bummer...well I guess I'll have to buy it as a digital download...never bought a movie like that...but there's a first time for everything!

Glennsallnighter
11-25-2012, 07:29 AM
GA - sorry to just be responding to this, but it's been a pretty hectic week for me. I actually mailed your t-shirt and keychains before you posted here, but I'll be glad to get a copy of Let's Get Harry for you and send it separately.

Thank you so much Dreamer! It's been pretty hectic at this end too!

sodascouts
10-31-2013, 08:51 AM
On this scary day in 1987, this movie was released. Happy 26th birthday, LGH!

10-31-2013, 11:52 AM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY LET'S GET HARRY!!!

Okay - while this may not have been Glenn at his finest, he was still pretty dang hot, AFAIC!

And GA - I just noticed our posts above Soda's on the previous page. Did you ever get a copy of Let's Get Harry? I don't remember ... hope I didn't drop the ball on this! :confused:

UndertheWire
10-31-2013, 03:27 PM
This is a bit of a ramble but I promise it ties into "Let's Get Harry".

I was trying to decide if South of Sunset might have worked if they'd cast a proper actor in the lead and I thought of Gary Cole which led me to this episode of Midnight Caller on youtube. Listen in from about 6:16:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehPrX513E1I&list=PL2147A65E4E7A9FE6

I remembered that Gary Cole was almost cast as Crocket in Miami Vice, and while checking that I discovered that he'd eventually had a small role in MV. When Glenn wasn't available for a second outing as "Jimmy", Gary Cole played the pilot who'd taken over from Jimmy.

Glennsallnighter
11-06-2013, 06:51 PM

Okay - while this may not have been Glenn at his finest, he was still pretty dang hot, AFAIC!

And GA - I just noticed our posts above Soda's on the previous page. Did you ever get a copy of Let's Get Harry? I don't remember ... hope I didn't drop the ball on this! :confused:

Actually NO! Dreamer, and I would love to see it!

Thirsty&Hot
02-04-2014, 11:03 PM
ok I've posted about this elsewhere, so I'm just going to quote those posts:

I have my TiVo set to automatically record anything with "Glenn Frey" in it. Usually if something records, it's Jerry Maguire or Miami Vice which I've seen.
So today when I saw something recorded, I expected one of those...but to my wonderful surprise it was "Let's Get Harry"!!!!

I've never seen this before! and I had just been looking to see if it was on Netflix the other day. It's not.

It's weird how I've never heard about this movie before I was looking into Glenn's resumé last year. There are a number of recognizable faces in here: Biff from Back to the Future, Jake from Sixteen Candles, Gary Busey, Mark Harmon, Robert Duvall...

ETA: you can watch/download the movie here: https://archive.org/details/LetsGetHarry

ETA 2: this was post 1111 for me! I'm one of those 11:11 people haha..I always see it.

based on that post...here are some Glenn photos from Let's Get Harry :yay:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/songbirdreleased/Eagles%20etc/2597772C-6981-45C9-AC6F-1DE0A236D91E_zpszirhu5ag.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/songbirdreleased/media/Eagles%20etc/2597772C-6981-45C9-AC6F-1DE0A236D91E_zpszirhu5ag.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/songbirdreleased/Eagles%20etc/61FE375D-4DDC-4D50-BFCC-AE92C11BE4F8_zpsakiwk3iz.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/songbirdreleased/media/Eagles%20etc/61FE375D-4DDC-4D50-BFCC-AE92C11BE4F8_zpsakiwk3iz.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/songbirdreleased/Eagles%20etc/C90CBCEE-B5A5-48E1-8D41-A441E0338E51_zpsdd1pf2ci.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/songbirdreleased/media/Eagles%20etc/C90CBCEE-B5A5-48E1-8D41-A441E0338E51_zpsdd1pf2ci.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/songbirdreleased/Eagles%20etc/14E4B83D-E84A-493C-9543-1E2CE8AD2A0C_zpsgcrxz9hz.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/songbirdreleased/media/Eagles%20etc/14E4B83D-E84A-493C-9543-1E2CE8AD2A0C_zpsgcrxz9hz.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/songbirdreleased/Eagles%20etc/AECABCAA-BFF0-42DC-9A77-72E9436190E7_zps2riqmo1g.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/songbirdreleased/media/Eagles%20etc/AECABCAA-BFF0-42DC-9A77-72E9436190E7_zps2riqmo1g.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/songbirdreleased/Eagles%20etc/F678DA7C-999B-4F33-8903-1509BBF72855_zpsfojxfikh.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/songbirdreleased/media/Eagles%20etc/F678DA7C-999B-4F33-8903-1509BBF72855_zpsfojxfikh.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/songbirdreleased/Eagles%20etc/B7A2E8C2-2077-42F9-917E-EC9BA445BF70_zpsqnvhhzb9.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/songbirdreleased/media/Eagles%20etc/B7A2E8C2-2077-42F9-917E-EC9BA445BF70_zpsqnvhhzb9.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/songbirdreleased/Eagles%20etc/8E58D073-5786-469D-949F-A0F830ECA482_zpsrfs2dcxk.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/songbirdreleased/media/Eagles%20etc/8E58D073-5786-469D-949F-A0F830ECA482_zpsrfs2dcxk.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/songbirdreleased/Eagles%20etc/DAB0FE15-1F9A-4A79-91A9-36002BDC683D_zpsjru9xecx.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/songbirdreleased/media/Eagles%20etc/DAB0FE15-1F9A-4A79-91A9-36002BDC683D_zpsjru9xecx.jpg.html)

sodascouts
02-04-2014, 11:34 PM
Excellent!

Glennsallnighter
02-05-2014, 05:35 AM
Thanks T&H, hopefully I can watch it this evening after work! And I just ADORE the screencaps. That man is just sooo HOT :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Brooke
02-05-2014, 12:34 PM
Those top three caps....his hair......:rofl:

Thirsty&Hot
02-05-2014, 08:16 PM
wellll.... now I know why I had never heard of it! it was so bad I didn't even finish the movie in one sitting :/ I watched it in parts haha
awful writing, and bad/cheesy acting from EVERYONE, but I'm sure it didn't help Glenn's career since it was his first film...the other guys had already done other projects.

it was still really fun to see Glenn in action haha :D

Freypower
02-05-2014, 09:31 PM
wellll.... now I know why I had never heard of it! it was so bad I didn't even finish the movie in one sitting :/ I watched it in parts haha
awful writing, and bad/cheesy acting from EVERYONE, but I'm sure it didn't help Glenn's career since it was his first film...the other guys had already done other projects.

it was still really fun to see Glenn in action haha :D

It was forgotten as soon as it was released & he then went on to more substantial acting jobs (mainly in TV, admittedly). I don't like the film, but it didn't stop him getting more work.

sodascouts
02-05-2014, 09:54 PM
Well, like T&H said, it sure didn't help.

Midnight Visitor
02-06-2014, 11:42 AM
It's been years since I've seen the film but I'd just like to take a moment and mourn the loss of Glenn's mustache. I believe this is the last appearance ever by the mustache. I really can't see him ever growing it again. Especially if he sticks w/the super short hair. So, a moment of silence and a slight whimper from me:

Dear Glenn,

Thanks for sharing your mustache with all us fans. We love it. And you.

Thanks again-
Lisa

Brooke
02-06-2014, 03:07 PM
:hilarious: MV!

I loved the 'stache in the early years, but after he cut his hair I really wasn't a fan! :shrug: But, I will morn with you MV, and yup, Glenn, we still love you! :heart:

Midnight Visitor
02-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Oh, I know it's not perfect w/the shorter hair Brooke. The mustache itself isn't really the same one he sported in the 70's. I know, I know. I just have a soft spot for photos from this film. The mustache's Farewell Tour! To bad the movie isn't a little better. He did better ones later.

02-06-2014, 03:34 PM
:grin: MV! And I like Glenn any way, so I'll join you in mourning for the 'tache.

And maybe I'm in the minority here, but I didn't think Let's Get Harry was all that awful. As I said earlier in this thread, while I admit this isn't an Oscar-winning film, it certainly held my interest. I guess I'm easily entertained - every film doesn't have to be thought-provoking or deep for me to enjoy it. As far as Glenn's acting, I actually think he held his own against some really fine actors such as Robert Duvall, Gary Busey, and Mark Harmon.

GlennLover
02-06-2014, 05:28 PM
:grin: MV! And I like Glenn any way, so I'll join you in mourning for the 'tache.

And maybe I'm in the minority here, but I didn't think Let's Get Harry was all that awful. As I said earlier in this thread, while I admit this isn't an Oscar-winning film, it certainly held my interest. I guess I'm easily entertained - every film doesn't have to be thought-provoking or deep for me to enjoy it. As far as Glenn's acting, I actually think he held his own against some really fine actors such as Robert Duvall, Gary Busey, and Mark Harmon.

I agree with you, Dreamer. I didn't think it was that bad either. Glenn certainly did hold his own.

However, I don't mourn the 'stache. I'm usually not partial to facial hair on men & Glenn is no exception. However, the 70's 'stache has grown on me (not literally, lol),but zi still prefer him without it.

UndertheWire
04-25-2014, 11:21 AM
A trailer for Let's Get Harry:
http://www.nytimes.com/movies/movie/29061/Let-s-Get-Harry/trailers

DJ
04-25-2014, 02:17 PM
OMG I've never seen this movie, I love Glenn in short hair and mustache!

UndertheWire
05-03-2014, 07:05 PM
The trailer led me to a quick search on amazon and it's now available as a digital download in the UK. I succumbed.

I enjoyed it. It's moves quickly and each of Harry's friends has a small character arc. There's obviously a bit missing in the middle where the group gets transformed from a bunch of hopeless amateurs into amateurs who know how to improvise explosive devices, kill someone silently etc. They skipped the lesson on camoflage.

Glenn was fine. He didn't have a lot to do in terms of acting but he was good for what there was and he seemed to fit in well with the rest. What surprised me was that he was almost cute and cuddly with the soft voice, thick hair, cozy sweaters and shorter stature. Or maybe I'm just influenced by the way he throws himself into the hug at the end.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t450/hairynosed/lghhug_zpsd9ca2ece.jpg

Zanny Kingston
05-03-2014, 08:10 PM
I have yet to see this movie. I will try to find it and watch it soon. I remember seeing Glenn on MV in the 80's (my favorite show back then) and I thought he was terrific. Of course his looks did not hurt.

I give Glenn a tremendous amount of credit for giving acting a try and I don't think that he was bad at all in anything that I saw him in. It points to the fact that, as many other posters point out, is that Glenn appears to be confident and in charge. Very Respectable qualities. I think its really awesome that he was game to try acting and appeared to have enjoyed himself!

sodascouts
10-31-2014, 07:18 PM
I was thinking about watching a scary movie for Halloween, but maybe I should watch this instead. Today is the anniversary of its release. Hmm!

ETA: yep, I'm watching it. Halloween eye candy. ;)

Glennsallnighter
11-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Much better choice Soda! UTW, gonna search for that link! Methinks a download is definitely in order!!

11-01-2014, 11:25 PM
Good call, Soda! I would love to find time to watch the movie again since I haven't seen it for a while, but I'm afraid it's gonna have to wait. In any event ...

UndertheWire
09-04-2015, 05:56 PM
For AG95, available to rent on Amazon Instant Video
https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B002QV67AS?ie=UTF8&keywords=let%27s%20get%20harry&qid=1441403387&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

It's also available on amazon.co.uk

AlreadyGone95
09-04-2015, 08:21 PM
For AG95, available to rent on Amazon Instant Video
https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B002QV67AS?ie=UTF8&keywords=let%27s%20get%20harry&qid=1441403387&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

It's also available on amazon.co.uk

Thanks UTW! :)

AlreadyGone95
05-03-2016, 01:18 PM
I finally bought this movie on vhs tape off of Ebay. It should be here by the end of next week.

UndertheWire
06-07-2016, 10:10 AM
A little story, via Jonathan Clark, who played bass in Glenn's band in the 2000s.

Tommy (Glenn’s) “guy” told me a story about when he and Glenn were down in Mexico shooting a movie and they had a shot of tequila at every meal and were the only ones who DIDN’T get sick. How great is that?…

secret squirrel
06-07-2016, 10:47 AM
In terms of what it was like I never get the chance to use smileys like this so here they are!

:machinegun::armed:

Ok, haven't got anything to say on this thread but what great emoticons, FP and I love your avatar, Soda.

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/

NightMistBlue
06-07-2016, 02:25 PM
Have ya'll read this 1986 article, wherein Glenn claimed that Robert Duvall singled him out for some rough treatment during filming:
http://www.indiewire.com/2016/01/remembering-eagles-guitarist-glenn-freys-first-film-lets-get-harry-175228/

UndertheWire
06-07-2016, 04:19 PM
Thanks for posting that. It has a link to a slightly longer version. So did he have income tax problems in 1994?

I like Joe Leydon - he was a frequent commenter on a film blog I used to read - so this was a treat.

NightMistBlue
06-07-2016, 05:37 PM
Oh my goodness, I didn't even notice the link to a longer article - thank you, O sharp-eyed one :) Glenn was really funny, I'm glad I read that.

It's too bad Netflix doesn't have this movie.

buffyfan145
06-07-2016, 09:19 PM
I just found out this is actually airing on one of my local channels next week on Friday (the 17th) thanks to my guide letting me search for things with Glenn in it. I have no idea if I've seen this or not over the years (as my Dad watches tons of movies) but thinking of checking it out.

TequilaSunrise82
06-07-2016, 10:24 PM
which channel buffy?

buffyfan145
06-08-2016, 10:24 AM
It's my local version of My Network TV. They air a lot of older shows and movies. I know it's partnered with my local ABC station.

shunlvswx
06-08-2016, 11:14 AM
I have My NetworkTV too, but I wonder if my local station will play it too.

AlreadyGone95
06-08-2016, 01:03 PM
My uncle can get several different stations with My Network TV. Hopefully, one of them will show the movie.

buffyfan145
06-08-2016, 04:45 PM
It's airing at 2 pm EDT for me but I think it's also airing on that Sunday too since it's listed twice. Not sure if all of them are the same or not.

sodascouts
06-08-2016, 07:57 PM
Have ya'll read this 1986 article, wherein Glenn claimed that Robert Duvall singled him out for some rough treatment during filming:
http://www.indiewire.com/2016/01/remembering-eagles-guitarist-glenn-freys-first-film-lets-get-harry-175228/

Great article - I read the longer version as well. Thanks for finding it.

Duvall sounds like a real jerk!

buffyfan145
06-17-2016, 04:36 PM
I did end up watching it and it just ended back at 4 and I agree it wasn't that bad. It was a bit corny at times but it's very much like a lot of action movies and TV shows that are still around now. Didn't realize how many other actors I recognized were in this, especially Mark Harmon, Michael Schoeffling (Jake Ryan from "Sixteen Candles", which I love that film), Robert Duvall, Gary Busey, Jere Burns, and others from various movies and shows I've seen. This totally was something I can totally see my Dad having watched and he probably has.

Speaking of my Dad I got freaked out so much as Glenn in this movie with the mustache back and his short hair looks so much like how my Dad did in the 80s and early 90s!!! :D My Dad at that point had the same hairstyle and mustache for most of my early childhood (I was born the same year this movie came out). I've posted on here before how I've noticed my Dad and Glenn resembled each other in some photos, but this was the most I've ever seen it and I was laughing so much at that. LOL I don't think my Dad still looks like him since my Dad's let his hair and beard go gray, and I don't remember seeing Glenn with facial hair as he aged, but they did look alike when they were young. So that might explain why I never cared for Glenn's mustache. LOL

Houston Baby
04-09-2017, 07:22 PM
"Let's Get Harry" will be on the tv network - Movies tomorrow at 6:00p.m. Eastern time.

sodascouts
04-09-2017, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the heads-up!

Delilah
07-09-2018, 07:15 PM
“Let’s Get Harry” is showing right now on the Movies! channel. I just happened to discover it while channel surfing. Unfortunately I missed the first half since I got home not long ago.

Method acting? Maybe that’s how Duvall gets into character.

sodascouts
07-09-2018, 07:21 PM
Things don't really pick up until the second half anyway... although I do love the scenes where they're meeting Shrike for the first time - "Habla Espanol?" and where he's convincing Jack to join the team.

CAinOH
07-09-2018, 07:23 PM
I went back a little ways on this thread, and I noticed that this isn't the first time it's been reported that Movies! has played Let's Get Harry. So I went to their website and found that they are also playing it on July 18 (Wed) at 1am and July 27 (Fri) at 4pm.

http://www.moviestvnetwork.com/movies/let-s-get-harry

They also have a "Where to Watch" tab. if I lived in Cincinnati, I could get it through my antenna. But nothing in the Dayton area. Darn!

sodascouts
07-09-2018, 07:25 PM
Method acting? Maybe that’s how Duvall gets into character.

Maybe, but still, stuff like this:
"According to Frey, Duvall would often shatter the silence on the set in Mexico by shouting, without warning, “‘What am I doin’ in a movie with a rock star!?!’” Frey couldn’t tell for certain whether Duvall was joking.

But the animosity, real or affected, brought a certain vigor to the scene where Duvall punishes Frey for opening a door without first determining who’s on the other side.

“Yeah,” Frey said with a grin, “we had a real good time doing that one. That particular day, Duvall wouldn’t talk to me. In between takes, he wasn’t around — he’d be standing outside in the hall, pacing back and forth. And then we’d do another take, and I’d open the door — and he’d slam me up against the wall. I think he wanted to do that anyway. It was always, ‘A (expletive deleted) rock star! I’d work with a million Gary Buseys before a rock star!’

“And then, when they filmed my reaction shot, he held this knife this far away from my throat, and yelled, ‘I could kill you right now, you . . . punk!’ And then he just let me go. They started rolling the camera — and I wasn’t acting. I was completely in shock.

“That was kind of interesting. But it wasn’t exactly fun.”

-------------------

Method or not.... DANG. Poor Glenn!

Here's a low-quality vid of that moment (http://glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/clips/LGHdontopenthedoor.wmv).

Brooke
07-10-2018, 01:12 PM
I went back a little ways on this thread, and I noticed that this isn't the first time it's been reported that Movies! has played Let's Get Harry. So I went to their website and found that they are also playing it on July 18 (Wed) at 1am and July 27 (Fri) at 4pm.

http://www.moviestvnetwork.com/movies/let-s-get-harry

They also have a "Where to Watch" tab. if I lived in Cincinnati, I could get it through my antenna. But nothing in the Dayton area. Darn!

I haven't seen LGH, so I'm writing this down so I can try to find and watch!

Thanks CA!

shunlvswx
10-31-2018, 09:36 PM
Happy 32nd Birthday to Let's Get Harry.

sodascouts
11-01-2018, 09:09 PM
Underrated movie. I'd forgotten that it came out on Halloween!

Pippinwhite
11-02-2018, 01:22 AM
It's also available to rent from Amazon for $3.99!

sodascouts
11-02-2018, 07:12 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up!

11-03-2018, 01:20 PM
Yep - a belated happy anniversary wish to Let's Get Harry.

Glad to see Amazon has made it available for rental. IMO, Glenn holds his own against some established top-tier actors in this film.

shunlvswx
10-31-2019, 02:51 PM
Happy 33rd Birthday to Let's Get Harry.

CAinOH
10-31-2019, 02:53 PM
Happy 33rd Birthday to Let's Get Harry.

I have this on DVD. Guess maybe I should watch it, eh? :)

shunlvswx
10-31-2019, 03:36 PM
I have the movie too, but I haven't watched it yet.

Pippinwhite
10-31-2019, 05:28 PM
It's not fabulous filmmaking, but it's by no means the worst movie that was made in the 80s. Or anytime. I can think of several action/adventure movies that were worse, including "A View to a Kill," and that's a James Bond movie!

I think my favorite scene is where Spence (Glenn) flimm-flams Gary Busey's character into paying for the trip. The look on his face is priceless, and I couldn't shake the feeling that he really wasn't acting much in that scene. There was a LOT of Glenn there. LOLOLOL.

sodascouts
11-01-2019, 01:49 AM
It's not fabulous filmmaking, but it's by no means the worst movie that was made in the 80s. Or anytime. I can think of several action/adventure movies that were worse, including "A View to a Kill," and that's a James Bond movie!

I think my favorite scene is where Spence (Glenn) flimm-flams Gary Busey's character into paying for the trip. The look on his face is priceless, and I couldn't shake the feeling that he really wasn't acting much in that scene. There was a LOT of Glenn there. LOLOLOL.

I love that scene, too.

I think the movie suffers from poor pacing and some confusing plot events, but overall, it's certainly not as bad as people make out. Glenn performs admirably. I am glad he left that look behind, though! lol

11-02-2019, 11:48 AM
I agree that Let's Get Harry is a pretty entertaining movie. It's not an A-list film, but it's certainly not awful either. I think Glenn holds his own against some really talented actors. Wish I had time to watch it again, but it's been a pretty busy time for me, so it'll have to wait until things slow down for me.

shunlvswx
10-31-2021, 01:44 PM
Happy 35th birthday to Let’s Get Harry.

10-31-2021, 07:29 PM
HAPPY 35TH ANNIVERSARY LET'S GET HARRY!!!

Can't believe it's been 35 years since this film's release.

FreyFollower
11-01-2021, 09:40 AM
Happy 35th (WOW!) to Let's Get Harry!
I was thinking what a kick Glenn's boys probably got when they were young, watching Dad wipe out the bad guys!:laugh:

shunlvswx
11-04-2021, 06:23 AM
I found the movie on an app on my firebrick. I have to go back and finish watching it.

11-06-2021, 11:34 AM
Well - Let us know what you think, shun. As I've said throughout this thread, the film is not a masterpiece, but, for me, it was entertaining and Glenn held his own amongst some very talented actors.