PDA

View Full Version : John Hughes dies at 59

EagleLady
08-06-2009, 07:53 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090806/ap_en_mo/us_obit_hughes

luvthelighthouse
08-06-2009, 10:06 PM
It's very sad and shocking. He was so young and looked so fit. I wish his family strength to get through this time.

He made so many classic 80's movies. I met Emilio, Judd and Ally on the set of the Breakfast Club. Something I'll never forgot...

Thanks John for all those classics!

sodascouts
08-06-2009, 10:08 PM
I remember watching Sixteen Candles and relating in so many ways! What shame. R.I.P.

Troubadour
08-07-2009, 07:09 AM
Aw, this is sad. RIP John.

Stars
08-07-2009, 09:13 AM
I was so sad to hear about John Hughes' passing. I took my son to see "Home Alone" in the theater, when he was only five years old. I remember we had to sit very close to the front, since the place was packed!:-)
Now, when my son comes home to visit at Christmas, we make it a tradition to watch that movie every year!
RIP John Hughes.

TimothyBFan
08-07-2009, 09:57 AM
So sad--Love the brat pack movies he did!!!

He made so many classic 80's movies. I met Emilio, Judd and Ally on the set of the Breakfast Club. Something I'll never forgot...

This is a story I want to hear!!

luvthelighthouse
08-07-2009, 11:26 AM
This is a story I want to hear!!

Ask and you shall receive.

As John Hughes would do, I’ll set the scene. It was May of 1984. One of the High Schools in the area had been shut down a few years earlier due to low enrollment. At the time, they had a section that was being used as a gym/training area. One of my friends would regularly work out there. She wanted to show us some hot guy, so in true teenage fashion, me and two of my other friends rode over to the closed school to check him out. I remember wandering through the halls and stumbling across what looked like props and a chalkboard with the names of all the actors. I immediately recognized Emilio Estevez’s name, as he was in The Outsiders. The other names didn’t mean anything to me, as Sixteen Candles had only been released to theaters a week or two earlier.

My friends and I began nosing around and determined that a movie was being filmed there. Now, the next course of events are probably not in the correct order, because we spent three days at the school on our mission to figure out what was going on. We ran around the school trying to “see” something. We found some offices that had been turned into dressing rooms w/each stars name on the door. Or course we entered Emilio’s room. (bad kids!) We picked up a pair of his jeans, they had change in them, but we were so scared we put them right back in their spot. There was also a blow up doll in there. At first we couldn’t figure out why. Later that day, we walked the exterior of the school. There was this huge pond in the back, which we thought was so cool. We saw a guy and girl making out on the ground and start yelling things like “get a room” and making kissing noises. (remember, we were young teens!) We didn’t think anything of it and went back to our adventure.

I believe it was the next day when we were in the restroom and a girl entered. We asked her if she was in the movie and she said yes. We told her how we loved Emilio and she said if we saw him outside to just walk up and say hi because he was really nice. Yeah, like that was going to happen! In any case, we talked to this girl for approx five minutes… turns out it was Ally Sheedy! She told us they had converted the gym to a set for a library. Later that day as we were wandering around we held open a door from the “gym” back to the school. All the actors walked by us and said hello, except Molly.. she gave us a dirty look and totally ignored us!

We learned the next day would be the final day of filming. We begged our parents to let us stay home from school so we could hang out at the school. Amazingly, they let us! It was the last scene at the football field where Judd is walking across. We asked if we could sit on the bleachers and they (could have been John Hughes for all I know) said no and we would understand why when we saw the movie. (Yes, it made sense once we saw it) However, at that time I asked Judd for his autograph, he waved me off and said later. I gave him the finger. (Hello, dumb kid, he was filming a scene!) Later, we met up w/the at the school as they were waiting to leave. It was Judd and Emilio at first, Ally joined a few minutes later. They explained the blow up doll was joke for Emilio’s birthday that was a week earlier. They were also discussing how Emilio and Ally were going to some club that night. Turns out they had hooked up and they were the couple we were yelling, “get a room” to! I’m not sure who it was, but someone gave Emilio a little dog for his birthday and he said he was going to call him Jack Dempsey after the boxer. The dog was so small and cute! We probably talked to them for ten minutes or so, but I don’t remember anything else being memorable. So, that’s pretty much my experience. Thanks to John Hughes for picking that location to film. It is something I’ll always remember!

Troubadour
08-07-2009, 01:52 PM
What a cool story!

sodascouts
08-07-2009, 03:01 PM
How awesome!!

Prettymaid
08-07-2009, 06:04 PM
We saw a guy and girl making out on the ground and start yelling things like “get a room” and making kissing noises. (remember, we were young teens!)

I asked Judd for his autograph, he waved me off and said later. I gave him the finger. (Hello, dumb kid, he was filming a scene!)

Cool story! These parts cracked me up! :hilarious:

TimothyBFan
08-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Love the story!! Judd was always my fave from Breakfast Club but of all the brat packers, I still love Andrew McCarthy!!! Gotta say, I'm not to surprised to hear that about Molly Ringwald. She always struck me as kinda stuck up.

AmarilloByMorning
08-13-2009, 11:57 AM
What an awesome story!

I don't watch telly, so his passing clomped me over the head when I finally got around to reading the paper on Sunday night. Sixteen Candles, the Breakfast Club and Pretty in Pink are still mainstays in my DVD lineup. Despite the passage of time, I had always been hoping against hope in the back of my mind that he would make another film, particularly with most of the Brat Pack remaining active in the film industry. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

I love Jake Ryan. I'll miss John Hughes. Thanks for sharing the story.

Ive always been a dreamer
08-19-2009, 01:11 PM
I know I am very late on this, but I wanted to express my sadness over the passing of John Hughes. He was a very talented director and like all of you, I really enjoyed his movies. May he RIP.

And ltl - that was a great story. I bet John Hughes would have enjoyed reading it himself. :wink:

AmarilloByMorning
08-25-2009, 01:42 PM
A coworker and I were laughing about something-or-other and another walked past (clearly aggravated he hadn't been included) to clear his throat and attempt a half-hearted reprimand. I promptly chimed in, "Could you describe the ruckus, sir?"

...and then I was sad.