PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Chesney Shows?

AmarilloByMorning
08-11-2009, 04:45 PM
Hopefully this is the correct area - the Walsh Reviews section seemed rather low traffic, but feel free to move/merge.

Did anyone catch Joe playing with Kenny Chesney in '07? Very untimely question and I apologize for that, but I'm new to the board and figured it would be safe to reopen old news what with the band's relative downtime. Was he basically a star guitarist? Did he sing anything? Most importantly, did he join in on "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy"? [Kidding.] [Actually only kind of kidding.] Any input or comments would be fabulous.

AzEaglesFan
08-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Joe was featured playing on a song called Wild Ride on Kenny Chesney's CD Just Who I Am (Poets & Pirates) so I guess that is what prompted Kenny to invite Joe to tour with him for a while. I think I read that Joe also did Funk 49 during Kenny's concert. I'M sure I will be corrected if this is wrong but that's how I remember it.

sodascouts
08-11-2009, 08:19 PM
He did Rocky Mountain Way I know - he could have done Funk 49 too. I also think he might have backed Kenny on a couple songs. Sorry I don't have more info!

sodascouts
08-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Looks like they did Life in the Fast Lane too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95phwz9JWH8

Some more Kenny/Joe videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnTNINNEfdE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3GsERahgso

AmarilloByMorning
08-12-2009, 01:17 PM
AWESOME! Thanks soda!!

While I enjoy Kenny's music he sure can't sing. I like Walsh doing "Life in the Fast Lane." Not sure what it is about his enunciations but they're remarkably endearing.

Wish I could've caught one of those shows!

EagleLady
08-12-2009, 01:25 PM
I am confused, how can you enjoy his music if you think he can't sing? :worried: I think he has a wonderful voice

AmarilloByMorning
08-12-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm the product of a long line of professional musicians, which means I'm a snob. Empirically, I think he has a rather cruddy voice - very little range. [I'm ducking right now.] But it's nice for the songs he chooses - serves its purpose, and I enjoy his material; hence, I like him. But it's like Taylor Swift covering George Strait - restrictions in ability become apparent when you attempt to navigate songs that weren't made for you. I walked out of a concert because I couldn't deal with the Chesney live warble. Had Walsh been there, I would've stayed. Man, I sound like a jerk; I apologize for that, but, to quote Henley, "What can you do? None of us is going to change now." Unfortunately, things like a singer having insufficient intonation (which the average listener would typically not notice) are the rough equivalent of a three-year-old screaming in my ear. It's quite annoying, actually, because if someone's in the room singing to the radio and they're not perfectly on-pitch they might as well be banging pots with metal rods. I apologize for appearing needlessly acerbic.

The Eagles' voices were excellent live, just for the record.

Walsh seems to be having a lot more fun with the relaxed party atmosphere... or am I imagining this? <3