PDA

View Full Version : Glenn/Joe Video Question

GlennLover
08-12-2009, 02:00 PM
I just received a video that I had ordered of Joe & Glenn performing together. It is recorded on June 1, 1993 in Fairfax, VA. The quality isn't great. I expected it to be a "Party of Two" concert but, it appears to me to be a Glenn solo concert with Joe as a guest. I was wondering if anyone else has or has seen this video. I thought that it would be interesting to discuss it.

Glennsallnighter
08-12-2009, 06:43 PM
It'd be interesting to GET it GL as well. Where did you manage to get it from, Amazon?

Freypower
08-12-2009, 07:32 PM
It is a Party of Two concert. By that stage after the SOS debacle Glenn restarted the Strange Weather tour but had Joe with him and it was billed as Party of Two.

I like the show a lot although sometimes Joe appears somewhat under the weather. Possibly the most interesting moment is during Life In The Fast Lane, part of which is actually sung by Glenn. There is a good version of Desperado too, but because it's only on video I don't get to watch it often. I would also be interested to know where you got it.

GlennLover
08-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the info, FP.

I like the show a lot although sometimes Joe appears somewhat under the weather

I was wondering about that. It seems that Glenn has to join in in a number of places on some of Joe's songs.

It'd be interesting to GET it GL as well. Where did you manage to get it from

FP & GA, I got it through this link: http://www.raremusicvideo.com/videos_by//1301/Joe_Walsh_Glenn_Frey

It has been converted to DVD. I probably paid more than it was worth qualitywise, because it is dark & the audio is not the very best, but can you pay too much for Glenn :hilarious: ? I am glad that I bought it! :)

sodascouts
08-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Aw, I'm sorry you had to pay for it, I have it and would have burned it for the price of shipping and a couple blank DVDs!

It is the only Party of Two show on video that I know of (although it's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility that there's another one out there somewhere). I've been meaning to put up clips of it. In fact, I think this thread will be the impetus for me to do so! I'll make 'em tonight.

I always suspected that Glenn kind of used this tour to help Joe out... he was in a bad way then.

GlennLover
08-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks anyway, Soda. I appreciate the thought.:)

I always suspected that Glenn kind of used this tour to help Joe out... he was in a bad way then.

It's funny, I had that same thought while I was watching it. I got the distinct impression that Joe would not have been able to carry a show by himself. He didn't play that much guitar during the concert. That's another reason why I questioned whether it was actually billed as a Party of Two concert.

sodascouts
08-12-2009, 10:18 PM
It's funny, I had that same thought while I was watching it. I got the distinct impression that Joe would not have been able to carry a show by himself. He didn't play that much guitar during the concert. That's another reason why I questioned whether it was actually billed as a Party of Two concert.

Yeah... poor Joe. I have a bootleg of him from a 1991 show and at one point he was having to read the lyrics of one of his songs off of a poorly concealed index card. He was an opening act for the Doobie Brothers then, I believe, and he was in bad shape.

The video you have was advertised as a double bill but in truth Glenn pretty much carried Joe. Little wonder you were confused.

Thank goodness Joe was able to pull himself out of that hole for the Hell Freezes Over tour and is going on 15 years of sobriety! So admirable.

Freypower
08-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Well, GL, thank you for that link. I have now ordered the DVD. It's much more convenient than having an old video.

GlennLover
08-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Thank goodness Joe was able to pull himself out of that hole for the Hell Freezes Over tour and is going on 15 years of sobriety! So admirable.

I agree. I do have a great admiration for Joe for becoming clean & sober & being able to remain that way for so many years!

Glennsallnighter
08-13-2009, 03:48 AM
I probably paid more than it was worth qualitywise, because it is dark & the audio is not the very best, but can you pay too much for Glenn :hilarious: ?

No :nope:

Prettymaid
08-13-2009, 09:20 AM
I guess Joe can thank Glenn at least in part for getting himself cleaned up. It was Glenn who said he didn't want to reunite unless everybody was sober. And Glenn was a good friend to Joe to help him out during this time. I'm glad I've not seen wasted Joe. I don't think I could have been a fan.

GlennLover
08-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Funny, Don Felder doesn't mention anything in his book about Glenn helping Joe. He gives all the credit to himself ;-). Sorry if I'm overlapping onto the Heaven & Hell thread.

PM, it did bother me to watch Joe in this concert. At least I knew when I was watching it that Joe has been sober since soon after that. :)

sodascouts
08-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Perhaps it's not such a good idea to put up clips of it... maybe just of the special version of Life in the Fast Lane where Glenn sings a verse.

GlennLover
08-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Perhaps that would be better. There are also several songs that Glenn does without Joe that could be put up. You would know best. Anyone who wants to watch the entire concert can get a copy of the DVD. Thanks, Soda.

sodascouts
08-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Just was working on the LITFL clip and to my huge annoyance, the guy doesn't put the camera on Glenn even when he's singing lead! Maybe he got confused and thought Joe was singing but Joe only sang a very little bit! I'm grateful for the boot and I know beggars can't be choosers but... this is the only bootleg I have where Glenn is singing lead on Life in the Fast Lane and he doesn't even get shown! :( Don't think I'll upload it.

ETA: We'll see if the co-lead of Rocky Mountain Way is better. If it is, I'll upload that.

GlennLover
08-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Yes, I watched it again yesterday. It is disappointing that the camera wasn't on Glenn.

Freypower
08-14-2009, 07:25 PM
That's nothing. I have Eagles bootlegs where he is barely shown on camera during Heartache Tonight, of all songs. It can be very annoying.