PDA

View Full Version : Anyone live in the Carolinas or just care to impart their wisdom?

AmarilloByMorning
08-13-2009, 01:44 PM
I’m relatively new and hesitate to initiate threads... feels like trespassing. All apologies if I’m overstepping my rights here.

Basically I’ve spent my entire life in the Midwest – born in Wisconsin, migrated as far as Illinois. Unfortunately, everything under 60 degrees qualifies as “frigid” in my book, and I live for the outdoors – rollerblading, running, biking, horseback riding. Tough to do in a portion of the country where decent weather lasts about a week. [Only slight hyperbole; Glenn can back me up on this.] So I’m thinking of moving across the country, eyeing South Carolina in particular.

Has anyone ever significantly, permanently migrated in this manner? Any tips? I have a BA and JD with a solid resume, plus no family, pets or shoe fetish (thus, a very low cost of living). I’m not into the nightlife – my version of a hot night out is a few hours at the museum followed by a 10pm bike ride.

To quote Jackson Browne, “I’m not really sure what I’m trying to say.” I just cannot deal with Midwestern weather anymore – every time the temperature drops, depression slips in. I will happily endure 90 degrees with pounding sun, but the minute wind and snow arrive I completely cease functioning. My father and I are going to visit Charleston in December to scope it out. Is anyone from the southeastern US area? Any tips on decent places to live? I’m not a party person – I love country music, the outdoors and history, so big cities aren’t my thing. [Jeez, this sounds like a singles ad.]

Actually, I realized what I’m trying to ask: Am I insane?

TimothyBFan
08-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Actually, YOU are the sane one! People like I & Soda (Indiana) and PM (Illinois) are the insane ones because we stick here in the Midwest. See the How's The Weather thread from last winter and you will know that I totally associate with what you are saying and sure am not looking forward to another winter like last (which will probably start about next week in my neck of the woods!).

So, that being said.... GET OUT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Prettymaid
08-13-2009, 02:03 PM
We stay because our parents are still alive and well and Hubby has been with the same company for years. During my first marriage I moved to the Pocono Mtns., PA (I don't think you want to go there, ABM...) then moved back to IL after the divorce. Maybe someday when we are retired we will move to a warmer climate. I envy anyone who can.

sodascouts
08-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Well, each place has its virtues and drawbacks. I've lived in both excruciatingly hot muggy weather (Texas) and frigid blizzards (Indiana). The deep south like Mississippi also is quite muggy. Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, all the same. The middle of America and over to the west is dry and can get very hot too (I almost freaking passed out walking around Phoenix in August). California is somewhat moderate I believe, if you don't mind the earthquakes, and don't get too far north. I think living near the coast in a hotter area might keep it cooler, but then there are the storms from the water.

I don't know much about the Carolinas, but it might be a bit of a culture shock, and small towns might not have as many job openings even for a woman with a strong resume (remember the economy). Many people do move to Florida because it seems to be fairly moderate, but it's so cliche! lol

I guess the Carolinas are as good a place as any, because you'll never find a place with perfect weather and it certainly doesn't get as cold there. Guess I wasn't much help!

Not too many people do what you're doing I imagine; if they don't have a concrete reason to move, they don't. This is even true of single women who don't mind straying from home and have a resume that allows them to get jobs most places.

I have to say, though, I don't find the midwest all that bad! Living further south in the same state can make a huge difference. While Willie is continually whipped with lake effect snow, my area just gets a few months of snow and rarely has snowstorms - maybe a few times a year. After growing up without seeing snow, I find it charming (I guess because I don't have to shovel it).

You can make your happiness anywhere, I believe, so if you want to move there's no reason not to (except perhaps cost). But don't expect to be perfectly happy with the weather no matter where you are!

luvthelighthouse
08-13-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm another midwestern girl. I've been in Chicago or North surrounding area my whole life. While the winters are long, I don't tend to mind them much. I loathe extreme heat! My best friend moved to AZ seven years ago and I've never visited her. I don't know how she does it, but she loves the heat. She too was depressed as soon as January rolled around.

I was just asked the question of where I might like to retire in far future... I said somewhere on the East Coast. My guy and I loved South Carolina when we visited there years ago. It's definitaly a place I'd consider.

Good luck in making your choice!

Brooke
08-13-2009, 04:54 PM
ABM, you somehow remind me of my daughter! She packed up her car one summer and decided to move to Austin, Texas because it was the "music capital of the world". She had friends there and stayed with them while she hunted for a job and found a place to live. She wanted to do something in the music business (marketing major). She's had several different jobs. That was four years ago this very month! She decided to try NYC this spring, but couldn't find a suitable job and moved back to Austin within 2 months. (I tried to tell her it was bad timing with the economy and all, but what do mothers know?) It's been ungodly hot and dry there this summer, but she loves the place.

Anyways, we have lived in Missouri all of our lives. Most of our families live here and I can't imagine moving away. I hate the hot, humid weather of July and August and I get very tired of being cold in the winter. It seems the winters never end and when they do it turns hot immediately. We have the saying here, too, about "if you don't like the weather, stick around, it'll change!" I do like the changing seasons. I can't imagine it being either hot or cold all the time. And I can't imagine Christmas without cold and possibly snow.

I wonder where the perfect climate is? Good luck finding it!

Molly
08-14-2009, 08:53 AM
All my husband has to do is say start packing and we're out of here!

ABM, I'm also from Wisconsin and I agree with you to a point about the weather. I think I would miss the 4 distinct seasons, but that's because about this time of the year I tend to have amnesia about Wisconsin Winters. Ask me again in January!

Hubby is constantly being offered jobs in other locations and so far, he hasn't pulled the trigger. We both have elderly, ill moms and kids who aren't quite 100% out on their own -so that's a big factor. But in a few more years....:thumbsup:

We toured the Greenville/Spartanburg areas of So. Carolina a few years ago, and I fell in love with it completely. I could totally see myself living there. Lower cost of living, beautiful weather, close to Atlanta to the West and the ocean to the right. The people were so friendly and helpful, the housing was new and amazing...I was sold.

We've also toured East Texas (yuck!), Southern Illinois (yuck) and the Silicon Valley in Ca ($$:fear:$$).

Now, I think I'm holding out for Arizona or New Mexico! Wherever we end up, I'm looking forward to a big change! I have my fingers crossed.

Good luck to you. It sounds like you'll land on your feet wherever you may land!

AmarilloByMorning
08-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Actually, YOU are the sane one! People like I & Soda (Indiana) and PM (Illinois) are the insane ones because we stick here in the Midwest. See the How's The Weather thread from last winter Wasn’t it unbelievable?! They were predicting two feet of snow and we’re looking out the window at the existing volume thinking, “should we be concerned about Armageddon? I can’t even find my mailbox.” I’ll have to go read that thread! It’ll be nice to have commiseration this winter.

GET OUT NOW!!!!!!!!!!! Hahaha! I just laughed out loud in the middle of a silent room! Sometimes you live right. (Frey reference completely inadvertent, I assure you.)

During my first marriage I moved to the Pocono Mtns., PA (I don't think you want to go there, ABM...) . . . I envy anyone who can. Nope, not interested in PA (or marriage, actually ;) The thing that gets me is: I, too, envy anyone who can relocate to a warmer climate. So, why not? [“She sounds like she’s trying to talk herself into something.” Affirmative!]

I don't know much about the Carolinas, but it might be a bit of a culture shock, and small towns might not have as many job openings even for a woman with a strong resume (remember the economy). Many people do move to Florida because it seems to be fairly moderate, but it's so cliche! lol I actually considered Florida! The whole reason I went to law school was to move there and serve as an IP attorney for Disney… only I neglected to research beforehand, and it turns out they only outsource to major law firms (which I have no interest in joining). Florida is still an option, though! And I don’t mind clichés, as long as they make me happy.

Not too many people do what you're doing I imagine; if they don't have a concrete reason to move, they don't. This is even true of single women who don't mind straying from home and have a resume that allows them to get jobs most places. Does that make me a Border Rebel?

I have to say, though, I don't find the midwest all that bad! Living further south in the same state can make a huge difference. While Willie is continually whipped with lake effect snow, my area just gets a few months of snow and rarely has snowstorms - maybe a few times a year. After growing up without seeing snow, I find it charming (I guess because I don't have to shovel it). While I admire your positive outlook… I do find it that bad. I grew up in snow, and have been suffocating in it every winter for 26 years. I loathe absolutely everything about it. Even the thought of fall fills me with dread. If I never saw winter again… Your geographical position is fortuitous, if you’re able to avoid massive snowstorms. I do not find the fluffy white particles of death charming or appealing in any way, shape or form. Even the way it’s portrayed on the Gilmore Girls (magical) or in White Christmas (romantic). Are you familiar with Monty Python? Michael Palin has a brilliant “Dirty Fork” sketch where he glares at a fork as though it’s his lifelong nemesis and screeches, “I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!” The effect will be completely lost on you if you’ve never seen the skit, but snow is my dirty fork.

You can make your happiness anywhere, I believe, so if you want to move there's no reason not to (except perhaps cost). But don't expect to be perfectly happy with the weather no matter where you are!Didn’t Oprah say, “You can’t buy happiness, but you can pull up beside it in a yacht” or something like that? All I want is to pull up beside it in warm weather. . .

I'm another midwestern girl. I've been in Chicago or North surrounding area my whole life. While the winters are long, I don't tend to mind them much. I loathe extreme heat! My best friend moved to AZ seven years ago and I've never visited her. I don't know how she does it, but she loves the heat. She too was depressed as soon as January rolled around. Conversely, I don’t mind extreme heat at all (though, having scoped out weather.com for the past four months, Arizona seems a bit much). Long winters, on the other hand… Your opinion on SC is motivating! I also appreciate the kind sentiments; thank you. J

(I tried to tell her it was bad timing with the economy and all, but what do mothers know?) It's been ungodly hot and dry there this summer, but she loves the place. Haha! The economy is one of my two primary impediments at this point. I have two high school friends in New York who lost their jobs, so encourage her to attempt again if we ever emerge from this dark tunnel. Though I am glad she enjoys where she lives after setting out like that – I printed your post to paste in my journal as an inspiration.

I hate the hot, humid weather of July and August Brooke, clearly you and I are of a different breed… J

I wonder where the perfect climate is? Good luck finding it! Thank you!

ABM, I'm also from Wisconsin and I agree with you to a point about the weather. I think I would miss the 4 distinct seasons, but that's because about this time of the year I tend to have amnesia about Wisconsin Winters. Ask me again in January! Summer is so fabulous it does induce amnesia, but it lasts about two weeks. One day you’re enjoying the weather, hop inside to grab a soda, reemerge and WHAM! Thirty degrees! You’re left looking around helplessly: “It was just here!” I can’t cope with it.

I think I'm holding out for Arizona or New Mexico! Wherever we end up, I'm looking forward to a big change! I have my fingers crossed. Thou art very, very brave. I have a friend going to school in Arizona who keeps me apprised of her daily temperatures in an attempt to soothe my distain for my current surroundings. It never helps, but I do suspect she has become part armadillo or something to endure such extremes. Beautiful landscaping though!

Good luck to you. It sounds like you'll land on your feet wherever you may land!Thank you! I certainly hope so. And I appreciate your comments about Carolina!!

Thank you all so much! You’ve been immensely helpful, and I am very grateful for your time/support! :hug: