PDA

View Full Version : RIP Les Paul

thelongrun
08-13-2009, 03:42 PM
People: We have lost a true Legend:

http://new.music.yahoo.com/les-paul/news/guitar-legend-inventor-les-paul-dies-at-age-94--61992735 (http://new.music.yahoo.com/les-paul/news/guitar-legend-inventor-les-paul-dies-at-age-94--61992735)

luvthelighthouse
08-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Oh no, this is indeed sad! I'm so sorry to hear this news. I hope his friends and family find comfort at this time.

MikeA
08-13-2009, 04:53 PM
What a GIFT Les Paul is! Not Was. We'll have his signature ax screaming out sonic tones forever. Lots of copies, but only ONE Les Paul...both the man and the guitar!

My goodness, 94 years young, performed right to the end when health prevented it, and started giving us innovations in music when he was only 13 years old! He'll be in some fine company in Rock 'n Roll Heaven!

I think the stock in Gibson just went up...if not, it should!

sodascouts
08-13-2009, 07:25 PM
Aw, what a shame. Even those who never bought a guitar in their lives have heard of Les Paul. A true master at his craft. 94, though? Wow, he sure had a good long life!

MikeA
08-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Most of those in guitar kingdom of those with godlike abilities, have possibly two staples in their arsenal...a Les Paul and a Fender Strat. Ironically, the Strat came out as a production model just before Les Paul's introductory solid body. Gibson was dragging their feet! Actually, I think Leo Fender's first solid body was more like a Telecaster than a Strat.

Either way, with that 1941 "Log" that Les Paul contrived, it is LP that set the standard...and continued to do so since around 1951 or so. I don't remember the exact dates.

I got me a feeling that the price of Les Paul Studios and Les Paul Standards is going to increase considerably. I want one now more than ever before!

ticky
08-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Awe, Im heart broken over this. Les Paul was truly one of the masters of his art and will be greatly missed, but he will live on in all he's given us. The angels will have one ROCKIN' band now!!

Molly
08-14-2009, 08:34 AM
The Wizard of Waukesha! RIP Les Paul. What a wonderful person and a brilliant mind.

Right up until the end, he was working on guitar innovations. Our local news ran a story last night about a local inventor who moved here to work with Les. Les encouragement him like crazy and this guy invented a solid glass guitar. Supposedly, it has some amazing sound qualities, and once it's in tune -it never loses it. Plus, it's absolutely beautiful to look at. It looks like an ice sculpture!

If anyone wanders into Milwaukee, our local Discovery World Museum has a wonderful area dedicated to Les Paul and has many examples of his work.

Steve Miller (Les's godson) will be singing at his funeral.

TimothyBFan
08-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Wow--what a legend!! I remember just including him in the birthday thread a few weeks ago.

Prettymaid
08-14-2009, 12:27 PM
A great man and a great mind.

jdubfan
08-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Wonder how the history of rock would have unfolded without him. I did get to see him perform once, for which I'm truly grateful.
Thanks for all the licks, Les!

Ive always been a dreamer
08-19-2009, 01:20 PM
I've been away for a bit and didn't realize that Les Paul had passed until I read the board this morning. He was a real genius and changed music forever. He will definitely be missed. RIP Les Paul.

MikeA
08-19-2009, 01:44 PM
I saw a new Custom Shop Les Paul that Gibson is selling for $25,000...it's signed by Billy Gibbons of ZZ-Top. That same model without the signature is around $14,000 and the Low-end of that line is going for around $11,000. I looked at these a couple of days ago and am pulling the prices from memory.

A "normal" Les Paul Standard sells for $1,800 to around $2,400. A 1959 replica version sells for around $6,000. These never were "cheap" instruments!

The Studio version sells from $800 to around $1,300. The Studio is the same guitar as the Standard, pretty much, except for the frills like bindings and inlays on the fretboard. Same electronics and same blueprint. It is called a Studio because all the artist is interested in is it's tonal qualities....no need for all the glitz and glamor of a sunburst with all the fancy bindings.

Dear Santa...I could live with a no-frills Studio!

MikeA
10-01-2009, 10:34 AM
This link was posted somewhere else, but I thought it might be best archived here. It does have a segment about 7 minutes into the CBS video commerating Les Paul about some of Joe Walsh's LPs.

Click Here for the CBS broadcast (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=62031206)

Prettymaid
10-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks Mike and thanks to Brooke and AZ for pointing it out. That was great!