PDA

View Full Version : Don in Runway Runaway

Fan_For_Life
08-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Anyone read this book yet? I'm halfway through it. Went down state to see a couple bands play and met the author Lorelei, she was having a book signing party. She's very nice.

sodascouts
08-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Not yet. Anything interesting? How much ink does he get?

AmarilloByMorning
08-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Ooooh, please let us know whether it's worth the purchase. I typically abhor books such as these because I dislike "insider accounts" from third parties, but if he's a significant character....

By the way here it is on amazon.

I realize this is not even a pipe dream but more of a capillary ambition... and still, I so fervently wish Don would write one...

Fan_For_Life
08-19-2009, 12:01 PM
He gets good ink throughout the first half. I believe I've come to the end of his involvement. I'll probably have it finished by the end of the week. Seems they were involved for a good ten years, off and on.

sodascouts
08-19-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks, FFL. I'll put it on my reading list. The last time I read a book like this I was less than pleased with Don's depiction. Sounds like this one is better!

Fan_For_Life
08-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Sometimes she writes as if she's a significant inspiration for his writing. She met them in 1973 and soon after that runs into him again and again throughout with him being the provoker. Some parts she writes as to say, "if only I knew better" which I guess is not surprising since this is suppose to be a "help" book.

I give her credit of having known and the time spent with him, however it is only her account and she was very young when this all took place. Now she does claim to have contacted or tried to contact persons mentioned but doesn't mention who she was able to contact or not.

Fan_For_Life
08-25-2009, 04:06 PM
I finished the book last night. I may read it again just to see what I may have missed while scrolling through looking for familiar names. Don is mentioned one more time toward the end. She had an interesting life. Her dad in the end asked the question I had before reading the book "Are you a groupie?"

AmarilloByMorning
08-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Hasn't everyone with any fleeting Henley affiliation claimed to be the inspriation for a song or two? Thank you for the update though; I'll have to investigate.

On a not entirely unrelated note, soda may we discuss your new animated avatar? Are you trying to prompt a heart attack first thing in the morning? :bow:

sodascouts
08-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Hey, I'm just getting into the spirit of the Video Survivor!

Brooke
08-27-2009, 07:42 PM
I love it too, Soda! So sweet! :sigh:

Fan_For_Life
08-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Hasn't everyone with any fleeting Henley affiliation claimed to be the inspriation for a song or two? Thank you for the update though; I'll have to investigate.

I usually don't sit and read a book and actually finish it. In all fairness I skimmed over everything that didn't involve Don or Steve Clark. I'm going to try to read it again though and give it a fair read as far as her individual experience goes.

On the note of Glenn video survivor... no personal computer so not sure if I'll be able to contribute much to it. :sad:

sodascouts
08-28-2009, 11:50 PM
No personal computer... YIKES! Hope that situation is remedied soon!

sodascouts
10-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Well, I just got through reading this and FFL wasn't kidding, he definitely gets good ink in the first part! Apparently he was a confidant even after the relationship ended, and they became kind of "friends with benefits." His lovemaking comes off as romantic and the portrayal definitely works to counteract some of the rather unsavory mentions of him elsewhere. There's also a cute picture of him with her in there from 1982 and an outtake from the One of These Nights album shoot which I hadn't seen before.

She claims to have written the line "Sometimes to keep it together, you've got to leave it alone" and indeed she is thanked in the liner notes, so I see no reason to doubt her.

Here's the highlights. She met Don when she was 15 at a party, and they became lovers when she was 16 during the making of One of These Nights. She interested him by playing hard-to-get and before long she was living with him in the house he shared with Glenn (who was then dating Playboy bunny Lynn Schiller). They were boyfriend/girlfriend for about a year, when she became pregnant with his baby and he paid for her abortion. After that, they kind of drifted apart, but continued to be friends. He paid for her stay in the hospital after she got hepatitis from a boyfriend and often called to check up on her over the next six years. Occasionally they would hook up, right up until 1982 when he got engaged.

His last mention in the book is when she was having a difficult time with her then-husband Steve Clark who was killing himself with booze and drugs. Don was in the midst of recording The End of the Innocence. She says they met up and he showed her his home. She felt that old chemistry but when he started cracking open beer after beer and showed signs of being high on cocaine, it reminded her of Steve and she had to walk away.

As I mentioned above, the love scenes with Don read like a romance novel. Apparently he treated her right. We get two detailed if short scenes, one from when they broke up in 1976 and one from just before Don breaks the news of his engagement to her in 1982. Smokin'! Sample: "He placed his face against my waist, kissing me and inhaling the scent of my skin...." You get the idea. ;)

Glenn also gets another mention post-seventies. She was working in Tokyo when he was touring there for No Fun Aloud and he hit on her, but she refused out of loyalty to Don. She also adds that she "wasn't his type" but somehow I doubt that a beautiful model isn't his type - at least for a hook up, lol. She has impressive restraint!

dianemaddox
10-13-2009, 01:31 AM
Gotta love a come-from-nowhere and claw-your-way-up kinda girl.

DonFan
10-13-2009, 08:09 AM
As I mentioned above, the love scenes with Don read like a romance novel. Apparently he treated her right. We get two detailed if short scenes, one from when they broke up in 1976 and one from just before Don breaks the news of his engagement to her in 1982. Smokin'! Sample: "He placed his face against my waist, kissing me and inhaling the scent of my skin...." You get the idea. ;) :inlove:
I believe I will have to go get that book, immediately!

AmarilloByMorning
10-13-2009, 12:54 PM
I believe I will have to go get that book, immediately!LOL. By contrast, that is markedly outside my bailiwick, so I greatly appreciate the summary! Thanks for posting.

Ive always been a dreamer
10-13-2009, 01:03 PM
I'm probably going to be checking this one out. too. I love to read anything I can find about any of the guys, especially those juicy parts. :wink:

TimothyBFan
10-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Any of you that have read this--I was just wondering how much is in the book about Steve Clark? Is there quite a bit about their life together and his death?

Fan_For_Life
10-13-2009, 01:29 PM
The second half of the book is about her and Steve's relationship. After reading it just about all the way through, word for word, she's very strong person to have gone through all she went through. Can't imagine the pain of watching the one you love destroy themselves and not much you can do about it. I give her lots of respect and can see how I didn't give her much credit the first time around having only looked for familiar names.

Peekaboo
10-15-2009, 12:48 AM
My first thoughts after reading the highlights that Soda posted...:jawdrop: DANG!!! I must read that book!!!

Troubadour
10-15-2009, 07:18 AM
Yeah! It'll be nice to get the more 'romantic' side after the stuff I read in Oklahoma! :fainting: :lol:

Maidstone
08-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Hmmm - I seem to be a little late to the party re: this book!

I just got it and I'm half way through it. It's pretty interesting. How I'm so envious of her travels around the world and living in all the European cities that I want to live in. :jealous:

I haven't gotten to the Steve Clark part. And no offense to any of his fans here on the board...but YUCK. She could do sooooo much better than him. And she did I guess. She had Henley. lol

But YUCK. Steve Clark? Huh.

Anyhoo - interesting book to read. By the way I also bought the Susie Vitale book and Storms (about Fleetwood Mac) written by Buckinham's ex-girlfriend.

I love me Rock n Roll bios!
Ta,
Maid

sodascouts
08-20-2010, 12:00 AM
Interesting book, eh?

I have Storms too - watch out for that Carol Ann Harris, though! She's not too kind to her ex and claims he assaulted her on more than one occasion. :(

Vitale's book is much kindler and gentler, with great photos.

Back to Runway Runaway - have to agree with you about Clark. YUCK.

TimothyBFan
08-20-2010, 08:30 AM
Come on guys....Steve was hot!!! True rock n roll sexy there!