PDA

View Full Version : Hi From Ireland

J Wilder 34
08-19-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi there folks,

My name is Jonathan and I'm from Ireland.
I have been a fan of Eagles since 89.

I have seen them 3 times,
My first time was in 96 Hell Freezes Over
The Second was in 2001,
And the last time was in July of this year,

My Favourite Album is Hotel California,
and also my favourite song.

I don't have a particular favourite Eagle.

My other music interests are as follows.

Johnny Cash
Janis Joplin.
Dr Hook
Aimee Mann
Steely Dan
Thin Lizzy

I love Janis the most.
She was such a talented lady.
Pity she died so young.

Well that's your lot for now,
feel free to pm me about anything.

Jonathan

eaglesfever
08-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Welcome Jonathan :bye::partytime:

MikeA
08-19-2009, 04:43 PM
Yo "J"! Can't be anything wrong with anyone who likes The Eagles and Janis! I think she was finishing "Pearl" when she OD'd. And "Pearl" was her biggest selling LP.

Anyhow: WELCOME!

sodascouts
08-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Welcome Jonathan!

How great that you got to see the Eagles in concerts spanning over a decade. Wish I'd been into them sooner so I could have seen them before Farewell 1 as well.

I've mentioned before that my mom went to high school with Janis Joplin. It really is a shame how early she went.

I have to say I've never heard of Dr. Hook! Any relation to the Captain? ;)

MikeA
08-19-2009, 05:03 PM
When I read that, I thought of Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show: "On the Cover Of The Rolling Stone".

Hilarious! Definitely NOT the version they released as a single.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-XzGOZHYdA

timfan
08-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Hey Jonathan! Welcome! I"m glad you've joined us :thumbsup:

Koala
08-20-2009, 01:13 AM
Welcome from me, as well, Jonathan!

Prettymaid
08-20-2009, 07:27 AM
Welcome Jonathan!

I have to say I've never heard of Dr. Hook! Any relation to the Captain? ;)

Sure you have Soda, you just don't know it!

When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman
Sharing the Night Together
Only Sixteen
Sylvia's Mother

Great band. I used to have an album.

TimothyBFan
08-20-2009, 08:12 AM
Welcome to the Border Jonathan. Hope you join in often.

PM--thanks for the reminder of those Dr Hook songs. I only have Cover Of The RS and I Got Stoned And Missed It downloaded on my ipod. I had forgotten all about When You Love A Beautiful Woman and She Was Only Sixteen. I need to get those on there also.

Prettymaid
08-20-2009, 08:18 AM
I had forgotten all about When You Love A Beautiful Woman and She Was Only Sixteen. I need to get those on there also.

Me too!

sodascouts
08-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Ooh, yeah, I know some of those songs! I really like "When You're In Love with a Beautiful Woman."

Mike - that video is a hoot but oh my gosh, how out of it are they??? The guitarist looks like he might fall over at any minute!

MikeA
08-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Ooh, yeah, I know some of those songs! I really like "When You're In Love with a Beautiful Woman."

Mike - that video is a hoot but oh my gosh, how out of it are they??? The guitarist looks like he might fall over at any minute!

I think that's just their style Soda. They remind me a bit of Paul Revere and the Raiders....clowns. I know both groups really ham it up when performing. But they do come across as whacked don't they!

"We take all kinds of pills to give us all kinds of thrills but the thrill that we've never known, is the thrill that'll getcha when you finally getcher picture on the Cover of the Rolling Stone!"

sodascouts
08-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Well, I went to Wikipedia to see what their photo on the cover of Rolling Stone looked like - and it is a caricature instead of a real photo! Oh well, better than nothing!

But I also discovered Shel Silverstein was in that band! I recognized the name because one of my favorite books when I was a kid was Where the Sidewalk Ends. I had no idea!

ticky
08-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Hey and welcome Jonathan!
Glad to have you along for the ride *G*

Brooke
08-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Welcome from me too, Jonathan. Glad you found us! It's always great to meet another fan of the greatest american band!

I hadn't thought or heard of those songs by Dr. Hook forever! :thumbsup:

J Wilder 34
08-20-2009, 03:09 PM
This is what I love about forums. I introduce myself and mention a band like Dr Hook and I have the whole board talking about them.

Another band I love are the Black Eyed Peas. Their music videos are just great.

Thanks for the warm welcome you guys and gals.

TimothyBFan
08-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Not particularly fond of BEP but I must say that I am mesmerized by Taboo. If I happen upon a video or performance of theirs, I can't seem to take my eyes off of him for some reason.

AmarilloByMorning
08-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Janis really was incomparable... unprecedented and unparalleled. It's great to encounter another Cash fan! I was listening to "One Piece at a Time" this morning. Welcome to the board!

Peekaboo
08-24-2009, 06:05 AM
I'd like to add my (belated) Welcome to you as well, Jonathan. Always glad to meet a new Borderer. Hope you stick around and chat with us here. It's a really great community of Eagles fans and just fans of music in general. Glad to have you aboard.

Ive always been a dreamer
08-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Hey Jonathan and welcome from me too. Glad you are here and hope you will enjoy yourself here on The Border. We love it here and hope you will as well.

Glennsallnighter
08-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Hey Jonathan! Belated 'Hi'. Great to have another 'Paddy' on board. Where are you? I'm Dublin. Did you make it to either of the Irish gigs?