PDA

View Full Version : 30th Anniversary Buildup

Freypower
08-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Today is Monday,August 31 in Australia. It's just over a month until October 2 when I celebrate the 30th anniversary of being 'chosen' by Glenn.

I don't really know what the best way of celebrating this event is. I did think though that I could show off my panoply of avatars as that is one thing that makes me 'distinguishable' on The Border. I thought that instead of changing them every week, I would change them every day, and why not change the signatures as well, because I have more than enough. I could even change them during the day if someone remembers an av or sig they particularly like. To me this is about Glenn, not me. I'm just proud to have been a fan of him for so long.

I asked a couple of our wallpaper 'experts' in chat the other day if they could try and make a commemorative type wallpaper for me. If any of our other wallpaper or banner experts have any ideas for something like this I would appreciate it. I have made a banner for the actual anniversary which I'm quite pleased with.

So if you see different avatars and sigs beside my name every day during this coming month and you wonder why, that's it. :partytime: :smitten::inlove:

Prettymaid
08-30-2009, 09:07 PM
Aw FP, I saw your new av in another thread and almost commented on it there. It's absolutely gorgeous! Your becoming a Glenn Frey fan is a great 'love story', and I look forward to helping you celebrate.

Brooke
08-31-2009, 09:43 AM
Sounds like a great idea, Julie! All of us will enjoy celebrating with you as we watch your new avs and sigs daily! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
08-31-2009, 09:50 AM
Gotta love new avs and sigs! :)

Brooke
08-31-2009, 11:41 AM
Another hot one for you, too, Soda! :thumbsup:

It's hard for me to change avs for some reason! I usually really, really like the one I have and don't want to give it up. My current one, for instance. Yummy! :nod: :smitten:

Glennsallnighter
08-31-2009, 12:34 PM
I feel like Brooke as well. But I LOVE watching out on a Monday Morning for Julies new Av and Sig banner. maybe Julie, you could do a kind of chronology of avs and sigs until you get one from the last run of gigs over the summer. Just an Idea!

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary!

Does anybody know what they were DOING on October 2 1979? :headscratch: I know we had a day off school on October 1st - a Monday (I was 11) because the Pope was visiting Ireland and I went to a party. I presume October 2nd was still all talk of the visit!

Actually, it was probably still October 1st over here anyway due to the time difference!

Koala
08-31-2009, 01:40 PM
I look forward to see your new avatars and signaturs ! :partytime:

ticky
08-31-2009, 03:42 PM
Here ya go! Happy 30th Julie and everyone!
http://tickypages.com/picturebin/frey1BGsm.jpg (http://tickypages.com/picturebin/frey1BG.jpg)

MikeA
08-31-2009, 04:58 PM
NICE blend Rhonda!

Troubadour
08-31-2009, 06:31 PM
30 years is quite something! Here's a wallpaper for you, although it's much simpler than Rhonda's fab effort!

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/Lulabelle_/glennfreypower.png

And just a couple of sigs I've had floating around that you may like to use during your celebratory period!

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/Lulabelle_/glennbluehorizonsig.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/Lulabelle_/eagleshcstagesig.png

ticky
08-31-2009, 06:33 PM
Wow Lou, beautiful work! you have such a great eye for design!!

Freypower
08-31-2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks guys, those are excellent.

As to 'what were they doing on October 2 1979'? Who knows? The album was already out in the US but it wasn't until then that I saw the cover. I suppose they were preparing to take it on tour, because they certainly did do some shows in late 1979.

Koala
09-01-2009, 12:59 AM
WOW,Troub & ticky, fantastic work, love your wallpapers and sigs! :thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
09-01-2009, 07:16 AM
:woah: I think I'm going to enjoy FP's 30th anniversary! The rest of us should have thought about celebrating our 30th's that way also. Just think how all of us would benefit from those celebrations! There's just no way I remember the exact day I discovered the Eagles or Tim. As close as I can come is I know it was sometime in the early to mid 70's. I'm impressed FP that you remember the date and all.

Prettymaid
09-01-2009, 07:37 AM
Ticky and Troub, very nice work as always.

TBF, love your new av and sig!

Julie, you are fortunate to be able to pinpoint the day you became a fan. I just sort of always liked them. Didn't know the band members' names until HFO, and only when I realized that seeing them in concert was on my bucket list did I start searching for information. Which led me here.

Stars
09-01-2009, 08:15 AM
I agree with PM, Julie, that you are lucky you can pinpoint the exact date you started liking the Eagles!
I started loving their music in 1973, when I first heard the "Desperado" album. Of course, I didn't really know who they were or get into them in a big way til LROE, and that started last year!:inlove::smitten:

Brooke
09-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Fp, yes, it really is cool that you can pinpoint an actual date. :thumbsup:

I've loved the Eagles since 1972 when Take It Easy and Witchy Woman were played on the radio all the time. I was attracted to Don and Glenn and Randy, but didn't know who was who for a while. I went back and forth with them for a while as to who was my favorite and Don finally won out for many years. Then a few years ago, a post of a screencap by Freypower and a certain picture of Glenn by Soda made me sit up and take notice of him and I became completely infatuated with him! Don still pulls at me from time to time, too, though! :nod:

Molly
09-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Don't remember the date...but I do remember the photo that got me.

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/GFreyVB01.jpg

Glennsallnighter
09-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Molly! That pic would 'get' me too! I suppose some of us just got led gradually to our favourite Eagle, while for others it was like a blinding flash. Certainly with me is was June 11 2006 when Glenn :heart: just blew me away at a Dublin gig. But I have a healthy respect and admiration for the others as well.

Ticky and Troub! Those collages are absolutely fabulous. Well done, I think I'm gonna enjoy FP's 30th as well! :wink:

Koala
09-01-2009, 02:25 PM
FP, I have also made a wallpaper for you, but it is much simpler than the both from Troub and Ticky.

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss120/wall_e_2009/wallpaperglenn.jpg

sodascouts
09-01-2009, 02:39 PM
My very high admiration of Glenn came about gradually. I'm not sure when my Glenn fanhood passed from casual to appreciative to major to hardcore... but pass it did. ;)

I do remember the first time I thought, "Wow, it's not just his voice that's sexy" - it's when I saw this:

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/hfo104.JPG

Literally made me stop in my tracks and go "DANG, he's hot."

And I'd become the girl from GFO (http://www.glennfreyonline.com). ;)

eaglesfever
09-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Love this pic and Glenns look in that era...

I don't remember when exactly I became and Eagles fan - think it might have been around 1986/87/88 at school - my singing lessons teacher was a diehard Eagles and we used to sing their songs. I always loved their music during all the years, but I didn't know that much about the individual members. That finally changed in 2001 at the concert in Zurich where I spent the whole concert staring at Glenn because he was so fascinating... Every time I saw them live I felt this very strong aura and passion he has, even when I had seats at the back of the Hallenstadion... Ah, what a memory...

Freypower
09-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Koala, that is magnificent. Thank you.

I need to point out that October 2 is the anniversary of when I decided Glenn was my favourite Eagle - not of being an Eagles fan.

This is from the old thread:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311

I'm sorry to repeat it in full but it may help:

It's 1975 and I'm a 14 year old in love with Australia's top pop singer (from Sherbet, if anyone cares). I was also a huge McCartney & Wings fan & I liked stuff like Status Quo & Bachman Turner Overdrive (heavier stuff)! Then I started hearing the three 'big' songs from the OOTN album. My favourite was Take It To The Limit but I became addicted to Lyin' Eyes straight away. I was also a big fan of another song called Rocky Mountain Way in the same year.

I regularly read an Australian rock magazine and got a big surprise at the end of the year when it said that Bernie Leadon had been replaced in the Eagles by Joe Walsh. The first ever interview I read with Don & Glenn was in this magazine. I think that must have been when I decided that the most 'attractive' of them was Don Felder. Because I liked TITTL the best I somehow thought 'this must be Randy Meisner. He's the one I like'.

The band came to Australia in January 1976. The magazine was called RAM (Rock Australia Magazine) and it ran a couple of articles saying that the hot shot guitarist had 'sold out'. I was intrigued when they then ran a cover line which said 'Sheep Killer Special - Eagle Attacks RAM'! and Joe answered their taunts.

I was fascinated. What sort of music will these guys make together, I wondered. So then came the answer - Hotel California - and I was utterly transfixed by it. By then I think I was aware that the drummer was Don Henley and he seemed to sing most of the songs. I had no idea who any of the others were except Joe.

We were in Sydney in January 1977, before I bought the album which had been played to death on my local radio station. We were walking through an open air market in Chinatown. The PA system blared out New Kid In Town. I had heard it before but suddenly I found myself listening intently to the singer's voice. I couldn't stop myself. I was mesmerised.

I went back & read all the information & looked at the photos. But the man in question with his dark hair & moustache held no charms for me at all. This became even truer when I finally saw the HC video and it was dominated by Don Felder - but at least I now knew it was Felder who was my favourite. The voice of NKIT, AG, TIE, Lyin' Eyes, TS... that was my favourite voice, though.

I got more and more impatient as I awaited The Long Run. I wanted to ditch my teenage heroes and follow a 'real' band. I noted when Schmit replaced Meisner. I heard all sorts of rumours about discord in the studio. I even read a report that Frey had a 'collapse' of some sort. I was concerned.

I was at university in Canberra at the end of September 1979 when I first heard Heartache Tonight. I realised at once that it was the guy who sang NKIT. I thought 'well, if I'm going to have a favourite member of this band I suppose it will either be this guy or Don Henley because they sing most of the songs but I really don't like this guy physically'. * So I went into the city centre on the day the album was released to look at the cover, opened up the gatefold and there they were. Let's see... that's the new guy, Tim Schmit, with the long hair. Ah yes, Felder, still looks good (but he doesn't sing... it's not realistic for him to be my favourite member).

WHO ON EARTH IS THAT???

Moving along quickly - yes, that's Henley with the big hair (!) and that's Walsh. Nice moustache. So that means.... surely not....

I tried to tell myself that I would be better off if I 'went' with Henley but I couldn't do it. I was gone.

* Today's edit: Obviously I had assumed that he'd still have long hair and a moustache when I opened the gatefold. No wonder I didn't recognise him.

TimothyBFan
09-02-2009, 09:17 AM
I just got goosebumps reading that FP! I had never read that before that I remember. I do remember that thread tho so maybe I had just forgotten that post. I do remember we had a discussion one time about opening that gatefold on TLR!! That was my Timmy moment!! :heart::heart::heart: I, like you, had been a fan previously and remember Bernie leaving and Joe coming in and quickly becoming my favorite Eagle (along with Randy) and being sad when Randy left....UNTIL I opened that album and saw the new bass player! Unfortunately, I can't remember that exact date but it was obviously about the same time as you discovered your love for Glenn.

Thanks so much for reposting that. I guess even after being on The Border as long as I've been, I still need to go back, way back, and read some of the old posts again.

Freypower
09-02-2009, 05:35 PM
I don't want to constantly blow my own trumpet during this period so can I add the following.

While 30 years is a long time, I can't compete with some of our very lucky Borderers who have met Mr Frey. As for the number of concerts I have been too, I have seen Glenn once on his own, Joe twice and the band six times, which isn't many. Then there were the gaps:

1979 - 1988 (when I first saw Glenn) 9 years

1988 - 1995 (HFO, which was delayed a year due to Glenn's illness) 7 years

1996 (because the HFO show was in December 95) - 2004 - 8 years

2005 - 2010 (hopefully) 5 years

Ive always been a dreamer
09-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Well, here is the Reader's Digest version of my Eagles fandom, which is a lot like Brooke's. I was a fan from the very beginning the first time I heard Take It Easy sometime during the summer of '72. Initially, it was all about the music. As the band's front man, Glenn was the only member that I really knew by name. As the band became more and more popular throughout the '70's, I learned who all of them were, especially around the time that Joe joined the band. As Don became more prominent, he and Glenn became my favorites. That remained the case until October 11, 2005 when I went to the Oakland Arena concert. That was only my 3rd Eagles concert and I managed to get a 3rd row center seat. Without warning, as that show went on, I became increasingly mesmerized by this:

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/GFreyIndianWells200501.jpg

By the time I left that show I was absolutely chosen forever.

And OBTW - I also love reading that old thread where Borderer's told the story of their Eagles fandom. I always like to encourage newer members to revive it and post their own story.

Prettymaid
09-03-2009, 08:59 AM
And OBTW - I also love reading that old thread where Borderer's told the story of their Eagles fandom. I always like to encourage newer members to revive it and post their own story.

I feel I've caused a hijacking of Julie's thread by being the one to begin the discussion of when I became a fan. As FP stated, this is not the date she bacame an Eagles fan, but rather a Glenn fan. I was just impressed that she could pinpoint the date.

Ive always been a dreamer
09-03-2009, 11:44 AM
PM - sure we digress a bit, but I don't think you hijacked this thread at all. FP's upcoming anniversary just inspired all of us to do some reminiscing. The only reason I mentioned the other thread is because that was where many of us 'older' members posted very detailed accounts of how we became Eagles fans. I loved reading those stories, and, as I said, I also love to encourage others to read it and post their own story.

AmarilloByMorning
09-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Freypower is there a significance to the lyrics in your latest banner? I'm not being facetious and am probably phrasing this incorrectly so I'll attempt a second time: I thought "Broken Arrow" was a Robbie Robertson song; did Glenn record it as well? I love it, either way.

Molly, that's hands-down my favorite photo of Glenn! :smitten:

I'm really vicariously enjoying this celebration, by the way. You should all select an arbitrary date and party in this manner!

Freypower
09-03-2009, 07:13 PM
PM: No, you certainly didn't hijack the thread! It is always great to hear everyone else's stories.

Regarding the date I was at university and I just wrote in my diary that I had seen the album cover that day.

ABM - yes, Broken Arrow is the Robbie Robertson song. It seems significant to me. I like the Native American imagery in it and the feeling it conveys of trying to connect with someone. I can't really explain why I think the symbolism works in this case because it's very personal and it will just sound extremely corny. :fainting: :fainted:

Koala
09-04-2009, 03:59 AM
Fp, I love your current signature.
Especially this part:
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss120/wall_e_2009/chest1.jpg?t=1252051268:faint:;-)

Freypower
09-04-2009, 08:46 PM
I think Maleah made that one. I have her to thank. In fact, Koala, I think I may use one of yours next.

Brooke
09-04-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm lovin' your av Fp! That shirt is my favorite on Glenn. Or off if need be! :nahnah:

Koala
09-05-2009, 02:25 AM
I think Maleah made that one. I have her to thank. In fact, Koala, I think I may use one of yours next.
I feel honored you are using a signature from me for your anniversary!