PDA

View Full Version : Funny Local Expressions

sodascouts
09-10-2009, 02:13 AM
People on The Border are from all over the world, and each area has its own colloquialisms, idioms, and expressions. I thought it would funny if we post some of them here - with definitions of course!

Even if your first language is not English, you can put down funny expressions from your language - you just have to translate them! lol

The following are expressions I heard in Texas (although I'm sure that's not the only place they're used). They're off the top of my head so maybe they aren't the best examples but it's late, lol.

A coon's age - a long time. "I sure wish Glenn would do another solo album. He hasn't put one out in a coon's age."

Knockin' boots - having sex, usually casual sex. "Stevie and Don got into a fight when she caught him knockin' boots with a groupie."

More nervous than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs - VERY nervous. lol "Right before Tim jumped out of the helicopter with his parachute, he was more nervous than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs!"

Rode hard and put away wet - having a hard-edged, rough, ragged appearance - usually a woman. (Comes from a horse analogy). "Shoot, that old groupie 'Sweet Connie' sure looks haggard - she looks like she's been rode hard and put away wet!"

Ugly as homemade sin - REALLY ugly. "Joe's new orange and purple pants are ugly as homemade sin."

Tried seven ways to Sunday - tried everything to accomplish a goal. "I tried seven ways to Sunday to get front row Eagles tickets, but I just couldn't do it!"

If I had my druthers - If I had things my way. "If I had my druthers I would be at an Eagles concert right now."

Prettymaid
09-10-2009, 07:30 AM
Great topic! I must admit I'm not always sure what GA, GEF, FP, Troub, and others from across the pond are saying with their expressions...maybe this will help! I'll have to think of some from around here. I knew what all of yours were Soda!

MikeA
09-10-2009, 10:53 AM
"Gotta pee like a crippled coon." No explanation necessary except a coon is Arkansas for "raccoon". And if you've ever seen a coon and a dog in a fight, (you probably haven't!) you'd know why the expression is used!

"I'm Gonna light a shuck." Folks on the farms in Arkansas or maybe Texas or Missouri, would gather to prepare corn or beans when the crops came in and it was usually dark when they needed to go home. They would wrap the "shuck" from a corn cob around the end of a stick, dip it in cole oil and light it. When they were going home, they would "Light a Shuck" and it extended to mean when anyone was going anywhere.

"I'm gettin' out of Dodge!" Used by people in Dodge City, Kansas in the old west when they left that rough cow-town before they got in gunfighting trouble. We use it today just about any time we are making an exit to avoid trouble.

'Upskuttle": an argument. "We had a real upskuttle there for while in the Felder Heaven and Hell thread."

"Once in a Blue Moon". Describes something unusual. A "blue moon" is the SECOND full moon that occurs in a single calendar month. Full moons occur every 28 days about, and since we have thirty and thirty-one day months, there are a very few months that have two full moons. "Joe Walsh has a M&G once in a blue moon."

"Been up the creek and over the hill". Describes someone who has survived a lot of dangerous experiences. Goes back to the days of the mountain men who were the first settlers to "open the west". Those explorers went just about everywhere and encountered unbelievable dangers crossing the mountains.

Brooke
09-10-2009, 03:30 PM
These are funny!

There are many around here, but for the life of me, the only one I can think of right now is:

dadgummit-meaning 'darn it' or something like that!

I'll have to hear them again to remember them!

Troubadour
09-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Great topic! The only one I've heard of (and use) is "once in a blue moon".

Off the top of my head...

face like a smacked arse - when someone looks miserable or grumpy. "She sat there the whole time with a face like a smacked arse." (This is probably obvious to you, but 'arse' is the UK equivalent of 'ass' or 'butt'. We seem to use it quite a lot. lol.)

arse about face - to do something back to front. "He only had a couple of things to do, but he did them completely arse about face."

nip to the loo - to go to the bathroom. "Hold my drink, I'm just going to nip to the loo." (I got a blank stare when I said this to Jess in Oklahoma!) You could also say "pop" instead of "nip" - those two words mean to go somewhere quickly. Like: "I'm going to pop in and say hello to my neighbour" or "Why don't you pop over when you've finished work?"

telling porkies - telling lies. (It's shortened from the rhyming slang, "telling porkie-pies".) If a child says something completely outlandish, his or her parents might say "Are you telling me porkies?"

bend someone's ear - to talk incessantly & tediously at someone. "My boss bent my ear today about the rota."

bit of alright - someone attractive. "Have you seen that drummer from the Eagles? He's a bit of alright!" ;)

lead up the garden path - to mislead someone. "He led me right up the garden path!"

like a blue-arsed fly - hurriedly or frantically. "God, I'm so tired today, I've been rushing around like a blue-arsed fly."

knackered/shattered - very tired. "Ugh, work was a nightmare today. I'm knackered."

glenneaglesfan
09-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Those phrases are great, and I'll be happy to translate any Brit ones that confuse you!

"Hit (or knocked) me for six" - what would happen if I ever met Glenn, ie, taken off my feet, comes from cricket, where a six is the maximum score when the ball is hit over the boundary.

Most of the phrases I know are unrepeatable in polite company!! One used often over here to describe someone useless is "He couldn't organise a p*ss up in a brewery"!

I'm not sure if this is made up by my other half, but if someone is "mad as a box of frogs" you get the picture!

I'll go away and think of some more.

sodascouts
09-10-2009, 06:11 PM
oooh, I love British expressions! Bring 'em on!

Troub - your "nip to the loo" reminded me of a children's song "skip to my lou" which kids are often taught dances for - I know I was! (I read that adults used to dance to it back in American frontier times). Quite different from hopping to the bathroom! lol!

Found this on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKe8Z1_RDi8

Prettymaid
09-10-2009, 06:25 PM
When I moved from Illinois to Pennsylvania in 1988 I immediately noticed that there were several differences in the words we used for different things. The first column is the what you call it in IL and the second is what they say in PA.

Sweeper = Vaccuum Cleaner
Pop = Soda
Sack = Bag

Another thing some did in PA was pronounce the 'S' in Illinois. I was always saying, "There's no noise in Illinois."

Molly
09-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Troub and Kate, I love those! Keep 'em coming!

If anyone travels to Wisconsin (especially Northern Wisconsin) this dictionary may prove helpful:

Ain-a-hey: Placed at the end of a profound statement, means, "isn't it" "Cold out. aina hey?"
Born in a barn: Sarcastic question. "Youse guys, it's freezin' outside and you left the door open, were ya born in a barn?"
Borrow: used in place of "lend". "Could youse borrow me a couple, two-tree bucks, yahhey?"
Brat: A sausage. In Wisconsin it has nothing to do with a spoiled child.
Bubbler: A drinking fountain. "I'm thirsty, where's da bubbler?"
Budge: To cut in line. "Don't you budge in line for a brat, I was here first!"
Cheesehead: A Wisconsinite
Cheddarhead: See-Cheesehead
Cheese curd: A tiny piece of cheddar cheese-a Wisconsin delicacy. If it squeaks when you bite into it, it's fresh.
Comeer once: To request the presence of a Cheesehead. As in, "Commer once and help me lift this beer barrel."
Cripes or Cripes Sake: A Wisconsin expletive. "Oh, cripes sakes, da Bears beat da Packers last Sunday."
Couple, two, tree: more than one. "Delbert and I drank a couple two tree beers."
Fleet Farm: A Cheddarhead's answer to Bloomingdale's.
Fish Fry: A Friday night dining ritual in Wisconsin.
Frozen Tundra: Lambeau Field (in Green Bay-where the Packers play)
Hey: Placed at the beginning or end of a sentence for emphasis. "Hey, how bout dem Packers" or "How bout dem Packers, hey"
Leaker: Someone who lacks physical or mental stamina. "John went home at midnight, da leaker!"
Polka: The official dance of Wisconsin. Often combined with a religious ceremony as in "See youse guys Sunday at the Polka Mass."
Start wit me last: To forfeit your turn. "I dunno how to play Sheepshead so good, so start with me last."
Stop N Go Light: A traffic light.
Uff-Dah: Oops!
Un-thaw: To defrost or thaw. "I'm goin' fishin' once the lake un-thaws."
Up-Nort: Where Wisconsinites go on vacation (Northern part of the state)
Yah-hey: Affirmative or added to reinforce a statement "The Brewers stink lately, yah-hey!"
Youse: A second person pleural. "Where are youse guys from?"
Yooper: Someone from even farther up nort!

luvthelighthouse
09-10-2009, 07:45 PM
When I moved from Illinois to Pennsylvania in 1988 I immediately noticed that there were several differences in the words we used for different things. The first column is the what you call it in IL and the second is what they say in PA.

Sweeper = Vaccuum Cleaner
Pop = Soda
Sack = Bag

Another thing some did in PA was pronounce the 'S' in Illinois. I was always saying, "There's no noise in Illinois."

I'm from IL, and I've never called it a sweeper, its always a vacuum. Also, it's a bag and never a sack. I think that's the difference between Northern IL and Southern IL. I'll give you pop though... it's pop or coke and does not reference the brand. Also, we say couch, not sofa. It's a water fountain, not a bubbler.

A phrase around here is "t*t's up and taking on water". That means dead issue or trouble. "I promised PM a front row ticket to see Joe. If I don't come through, I'm gonna be t*ts up and taking on water".

Edited to say... I just read Molly's post., you left of FIB. :hilarious:

Molly
09-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Edited to say... I just read Molly's post., you left of FIB. :hilarious:

I thought about it, but knew there were an awful lot of FIB's, er...I mean, lovely people from Illinois on this board. :thumbsup:

FIB: F*%$ing Illinois B$@*&#*! "Those FIBs always come up to Milwaukee for the Cubs games!!!"

Freypower
09-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Re 'bubbler' that is what we call them in Australia. Molly was kind enough to send me a magnet with a drawing of a bubbler which says 'where's the bubbler'.

I am familliar with GEF's and Troub's expressions as I have an English husband. 'He's about as much use as t**ts on a bull' or 'as much use as a chocolate teapot' are a couple of his favourites.

The most famous Australian expression is probably 'fair dinkum'. All it means is 'is that so' or 'really'. Our Prime Minister has been criticised recently for using some hoary old 'Ockerisms' that nobody says anymore - such as 'fair shake of the sauce bottle' which means the same as 'don't come the raw prawn with me' i.e. don't bullsh**t me (or 'are you fair dinkum').

cynd1231
09-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Easterners refer to "pop" as "soda" and if you ask for a "soda" (meaning an ice cream soda) you'll get what they call a 'frappe'. And although it's not really a 'saying', a lot of places in New England as if you want your coffee "regular" -- which I always thought was plain, black coffee, but if you say yes, they bring it with cream and sugar already added! Took me forever to get the hang of it when I moved up to Boston from Ohio.

Freypower
09-10-2009, 10:38 PM
We don't use the terms 'soda' or soda pop' at all. We either say 'soft drink' or we use the brand name. We used to say 'cordial' but that has fallen into disuse.

Brooke
09-10-2009, 10:38 PM
These are all great!

Another one here in NE Missouri, soda or pop is sody and Pepsi or Coke are universal with most.

GlennLover
09-10-2009, 10:46 PM
We say pop here in Atlantic Canada.

Locally, many people will pronounce the word wash as worsh.

ticky
09-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Okay, I keep putting this topic off cuz there are soooo many Oregonisms, but I gotta put this one in.. Ill add more later.. but this isnt so much a saying as it the CORRECT pronunciation... (this is important people, practice...)

it's pronounced 'OR-EEE-GUN
not OR-UH-'GONE

makes me madder then a wet hen when a buncha Californicators start yakkin' about OR-UH-GONE when they dont even know their head from a skunk hole!

now I'm gonna think about those colloquialisms some more.. Im sure I can come up with a few...

Shoot.. gotta go get Sarah to bed, she's running around like a chicken with it's head cut off....

luvthelighthouse
09-10-2009, 11:44 PM
Again, not so much an expression, but the way we speak. We tend to put prepositions at the end of the sentence. "where are you stopping at?" "I want to go with" "where are my keys at"

Then there is the phrase, dimes to doughnuts... means you are sure about something. "Dimes to doughnuts Tim will sing ICTYW"

Let's see, we wear gymshoes, not sneakers.

We measure distance in time. "How far is Target?" - "It's about 5 mins away".

Also, I think most cities traffic reports are given in delay times. For example, "it's a 20 min. delay from the bridge to the tunnel". Again, we give real time. "it's 40 mins from the bridge to the tunnel"

TimothyBFan
09-11-2009, 07:54 AM
These are all great!

Another one here in NE Missouri, soda or pop is sody and Pepsi or Coke are universal with most.

This one brought back a memory for me. I've said before that alot of my family is from down Brooke's way and I remember as a kid, when they came up north for the first time to visit us, and one of the kids asking for a "sody". :hilarious: I about died laughing because it seemed so funny to me. My mom smacked me and told me to be nice! :hilarious: Us Yankees call it POP!

Molly
09-11-2009, 08:01 AM
This one brought back a memory for me. I've said before that alot of my family is from down Brooke's way and I remember as a kid, when they came up north for the first time to visit us, and one of the kids asking for a "sody". :hilarious: I about died laughing because it seemed so funny to me. My mom smacked me and told me to be nice! :hilarious: Us Yankees call it POP!

Is that where the expression "sody" comes from? My husband's family is from St. Louis and he spent his Summers there. He often says "sody". Here all this time I thought he was just being annoying! :eyebrow:

We don't call it "pop" , we call it soda. Older people (like my grandfather) called it "soda water".

Julie -That's right! You're the only other person that would keep me from dying of thirst by directing me to the "bubbler"!

TimothyBFan
09-11-2009, 08:09 AM
I thought about it, but knew there were an awful lot of FIB's, er...I mean, lovely people from Illinois on this board. :thumbsup:

FIB: F*%$ing Illinois B$@*&#*! "Those FIBs always come up to Milwaukee for the Cubs games!!!"

I guess that could include us from Indiana also? :hilarious: :fingerwag:

Prettymaid
09-11-2009, 08:27 AM
These days I tend to incorporate soda and pop into sodapop!

Let's see, we wear gymshoes, not sneakers.

That's a good one - we call them tennis shoes down here.

We measure distance in time. "How far is Target?" - "It's about 5 mins away".

I always thought that was a girl thing! :hilarious:

glenneaglesfan
09-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Oh. I've enjoyed these! Molly - Wisconsin speak must be distinctive. Over here in Plymouth the locals speak "janner" and it's just found fame on television with a promo ad starring Paul Whitehouse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tuVGST_1gE

Apparently, the fans were shouting "Green Army" at the England/Croatia match the other day!

MikeA
09-11-2009, 05:52 PM
There were a couple of others that I thought of while reading those from other parts of the country/world.

In Arkansas, it was always couch and not sofa or divan.

"Fixin'" was always used a lot. "I'm fixin' to go to the store".

"White Bread" (the "regular bread" bought by the loaf, i.e "Wonder Bread") was always referred to as "Light Bread". I have no idea why.

Chickens lay aigs in Arkansas and folks have laigs instead of legs. We have fangers instead of fingers.

Oh, and our three meals were "Breakfast", "Dinner" and "Supper". I had no idea what "Lunch" was until I was in junior high school!

Any carbonated soft drink was a coke. You might order an "orange coke" if you wanted an "Orange Crush", or a "grape coke" if you wanted a "Grapette or NuGrape". Or it might be an ROC coke (RC Cola).

sodascouts
09-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Your first and last expressions are very popular in Texas too! (for those who aren't familiar with the term, "Fixin' to" means "getting ready to/about to."

I heard a funny expression today from one of my friends. We were talking about her dissertation and she said "It's beginning to firm up, but it isn't Jello yet." I thought that was a clever way of saying something wasn't done!

GEF - love that video!

Now, I have to give my comment on the soda issue. ;) In Texas, as in neighboring Arkansas, all soda was called "coke" no matter what unless it was something special like Dr. Pepper or Sprite (as Mike said, you could qualify it by saying "diet coke" or "grape coke" etc). It may seem confusing but there it was. You'd go into a restaurant and ask for a coke and no one ever said "We have Pepsi products, is that OK?" The first time I got asked that up north I was like "ummm.. Of course... DUH!" ;) However, I figured using "coke" as my username might cause some folks to get the wrong idea... soda it became! And I'm so glad. I wouldn't want my nickname to be "Coke." Soda is much better. :soda:

Freypower
09-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Re soda water: here it is a very specific type of drink made by Schweppes, whichi is like carbonated mineral water but with a slightly acid taste. My mother used to enjoy a drink that mixed vermouth (Cinzano) with Schweppes soda water.

When I was talking about 'fair dinkum' I forgot to say that when you use it in a phrase such as 'it's fair dinkum' you mean 'it's the genuine article', but if you say to someone 'are you fair dinkum' you're saying 'are you for real'?

Many Australian words are abbreviated by sticking 'ie' on the end. Examples:

brekkie - breakfast
cossie - swimming costume ('bathers')
pressie - present ('gift')
barbie - barbeque
Chrissie - Christmas
Brissie - Brisbane

Or people's names have 'y' stuck on them - Jonesy, Gibbsy, Warney (cricketer Shane Warne), Hawkey (former PM Bob Hawke).

Or 'o':

arvo - afternoon
smoko - taking a smoking break

People's names - Davo, Johnno, Stevo, etc.

What DOES this sound like.

Maleah
09-12-2009, 01:38 AM

Darn right! :thumbsup:

I've been trying desperately to think of some but everything seems NORMAL to me so it's hard to separate the common from the uncommon. ;) LOL

As you can tell from above....here we call it "pop" too.

As someone mentioned, "oofda," or however you choose to spell it. lol

Pete Sake - as in "oh for pete sake." I tend to use it when I think something is ridiculous or when I'm annoyed. Like when I get up to get myself something to drink and then my sister asks for something....and then my niece asks for something....by the time my brother in law asks me to get him something while I'm up I'm already saying "oh for pete sake" lol

My dad ALWAYS says "were you born in a barn?" lol Generally when we left the door open or the lights on.

Everytime someone asks my Dad how he's doing, he always replies "oh fair to middlin'" which I always thought was weird until I started to hear a lot of others saying it. lol

I'll try to think of some over the weekend for you all ;)

MikeA
09-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Back in the 60's If I was at a party and "fixin to leave", I might tell a friend, "I'm gonna light a shuck and crash". "Crash" back then was "to go to bed" but in the 60's "crash" became a term that described the depression experienced when coming down from a "high". At that time, the correct terminology for "going to bed" reverted to the traditional "I'm gonna hit the hay".

The polite term we used when referring to "going to the bathroom" was that we were going to "find a sandbox" (cat lovers would understand that one).

When we were kids and too young to drive, when going somewhere and there was more than one kid, we would call "SHOTGUN" to win the right to sit in the front seat by the passenger door.

We would get in trouble when we saw a Volkswagon and call "BUG SLUG" and than whop whomever we were sitting next to on the shoulder. We took a lot of long but cheap trips as a family in the car...sometimes going cross country and the trip got quite boring.

(ED for accuracy) Maleah is absolutely right. I had it wrong. It was "Slug Bug", not "Bug Slug."

The most popular car "trip" game was Auto Bingo. It was just BINGO but instead of numbers, the cards had the Manufacterors names across the top (Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Buick, Chrysler) and the model names usually with a color (like white Corvette) to the sides. When you spotted one and found it on your card, you would mark it. "Back then" we all knew at a glance what each car we saw was....they all looked distinctive...not like today where in many cases, the only difference between two models is the name.

Maleah
09-12-2009, 02:00 PM
LOL Mike we still "call shotgun" and "hit the hay" up here. ;)

And our variation on the bug thing is "slug bug." We also do "bruiser cruiser" for a PT Cruiser! It can be a painful day ;)

Ive always been a dreamer
09-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Maleah - my grandmother used to say "fair to middlin'" too. There's another one she used to say all the time that I have to figure out how to spell before I can even post it. :lol:

And one of Mike's earlier post remind me of a fairly common one used by us here in Virginia - we say someone is "up the creek without a paddle" whenever someone gets into a sticky situation or is 'SOL'.

Now re: soda or pop - around here we mostly just say soft drink.

GlennLover
09-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Maleah, we use "for pete's sake" and "fair to middlin'" here as well!

I remember, year's ago we would be visiting my grandmother & when we were leaving she would say, "Come in when you're over to the farm again". I take it that this must have been an old expression she heard when spending some of her summers near a farm as she always lived in the city :).

sodascouts
09-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Love reading these!

Thought of a couple more that you may or may not have heard:

Stick it where the sun don't shine - When someone is being obnoxious and you want to communicate that you couldn't care less about their crap.I hear it used a lot when people are bragging, especially. My understanding is that "where the sun don't shine" is a politer way to say "up your a**." I'm tired of you bragging about how expensive your car is. You can take your fancy car and stick it where the sun don't shine.

Gone the way of the dodo - something isn't around anymore, like the extinct dodo bird. Aw, Bath and Body works doesn't carry shaving cream any more! Guess that went the way of the dodo!

Troubadour
09-12-2009, 06:18 PM
We use "for pete's sake" and "stick it (or shove it) where the sun don't shine" too. I love this thread. It's amusing, and genuinely interesting to see which phrases we use both sides of the Atlantic, and which are totally alien to me!

I remember Eva asked me a while ago what "came up trumps" meant. As in "She did a great job finding a birthday cake for him. She really came up trumps." It means that someone did really well, or kinda hit the jackpot, I guess.

got a cob on - when someone's sulking or moody. "I told her I couldn't go to the party with her, and now she's really got a cob on!"

Prettymaid
09-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Gone the way of the dodo - something isn't around anymore, like the extinct dodo bird. Aw, Bath and Body works doesn't carry shaving cream any more! Guess that went the way of the dodo!

:hilarious: I've never heard that one before!

Troubadour
09-12-2009, 06:21 PM
We use dead as a dodo to mean the same thing.

GlennLover
09-12-2009, 06:45 PM
We say "dead as a doornail". I've heard the "dodo" expression but I don't hear it used much.

Troub, I've never heard the "cob" or that particular "trumps" expressions before!

MikeA
09-12-2009, 08:38 PM
When you're almost deader than a doornail, you might "hear Angel Wings a Flappin".

GlennLover
09-12-2009, 10:29 PM
:hilarious: Good one,Mike!

Maleah
09-13-2009, 12:20 AM
Maleah - my grandmother used to say "fair to middlin'" too. There's another one she used to say all the time that I have to figure out how to spell before I can even post it. :lol:

And one of Mike's earlier post remind me of a fairly common one used by us here in Virginia - we say someone is "up the creek without a paddle" whenever someone gets into a sticky situation or is 'SOL'.

Now re: soda or pop - around here we mostly just say soft drink.

lol! We say the "up a creek without a paddle" all the time as well!

Same with the above mentioned "dead as a doornail"

I always hear "don't let it hit ya where the good Lord split ya" when someone is leaving. Basically the same way of saying "don't let the doorknob hit you on the way out." It seems to generally said when you're annoyed with someone and they're finally leaving. lol

AzEaglesFan
09-14-2009, 03:28 AM
My son was talking about a kid at school that considered himself a real bully but Frank didn't think the kid was that tough. I told him "Oh he's a rough, tough, cream buff ". My son had never heard it before. To me it means someone that isn't as tough as they think they are.

sodascouts
09-14-2009, 03:36 AM
lol! That's great!

That reminds me of one I use:

whiny-poo-poo: a whiner who brings everybody down. Seems like all you ever wanna do is complain. Stop being such a whiny-poo-poo.

AzEaglesFan
09-14-2009, 03:41 AM
Everytime my grandson would whine I would call him a whiny butt, his Mother just loved that.

MikeA
09-14-2009, 08:42 AM
When you are working on a project that is all laid out but something goes wrong, you experience a "Hitch in the Giddyup!" I have no idea where I picked that up but its use has cracked co-workers up, lightened the mood and helped us get focused on the task at hand once more.

We've also had problems with projects where little to no progress is being made, described as having a "Flat Tire" or really bad ones being "In The Ditch". Really bad problems are a "Train Wreck".

Brooke
09-14-2009, 10:19 AM
These are great and many mentioned are used around here, too.

I don't think I've seen this one:

He/she/they are an "accident waiting to happen". Someone doing something they shouldn't be like an elderly person driving and you know they have terrible vision or hearing.

eaglesvet
09-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Okay, I keep putting this topic off cuz there are soooo many Oregonisms, but I gotta put this one in.. Ill add more later.. but this isnt so much a saying as it the CORRECT pronunciation... (this is important people, practice...)

it's pronounced 'OR-EEE-GUN
not OR-UH-'GONE

makes me madder then a wet hen when a buncha Californicators start yakkin' about OR-UH-GONE when they dont even know their head from a skunk hole!

now I'm gonna think about those colloquialisms some more.. Im sure I can come up with a few...

Shoot.. gotta go get Sarah to bed, she's running around like a chicken with it's head cut off....
Hey, Ticky, until I went to college and met someone from your fair state, I was as guilty as the rest of the country. However, for the past 25 yrs, I thought I was correctly pronouncing the way she told me...OR-uh-gun...the middle syllable was almost nonexistent as she slurred over it, but the "gone" was gone, replaced by the short "u". Is that not correct?

eaglesvet
09-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Troub and Kate, I love those! Keep 'em coming!

If anyone travels to Wisconsin (especially Northern Wisconsin) this dictionary may prove helpful:

Ain-a-hey: Placed at the end of a profound statement, means, "isn't it" "Cold out. aina hey?"
Born in a barn: Sarcastic question. "Youse guys, it's freezin' outside and you left the door open, were ya born in a barn?"
Borrow: used in place of "lend". "Could youse borrow me a couple, two-tree bucks, yahhey?"
Brat: A sausage. In Wisconsin it has nothing to do with a spoiled child.
Bubbler: A drinking fountain. "I'm thirsty, where's da bubbler?"
Budge: To cut in line. "Don't you budge in line for a brat, I was here first!"
Cheesehead: A Wisconsinite
Cheddarhead: See-Cheesehead
Cheese curd: A tiny piece of cheddar cheese-a Wisconsin delicacy. If it squeaks when you bite into it, it's fresh.
Comeer once: To request the presence of a Cheesehead. As in, "Commer once and help me lift this beer barrel."
Cripes or Cripes Sake: A Wisconsin expletive. "Oh, cripes sakes, da Bears beat da Packers last Sunday."
Couple, two, tree: more than one. "Delbert and I drank a couple two tree beers."
Fleet Farm: A Cheddarhead's answer to Bloomingdale's.
Fish Fry: A Friday night dining ritual in Wisconsin.
Frozen Tundra: Lambeau Field (in Green Bay-where the Packers play)
Hey: Placed at the beginning or end of a sentence for emphasis. "Hey, how bout dem Packers" or "How bout dem Packers, hey"
Leaker: Someone who lacks physical or mental stamina. "John went home at midnight, da leaker!"
Polka: The official dance of Wisconsin. Often combined with a religious ceremony as in "See youse guys Sunday at the Polka Mass."
Start wit me last: To forfeit your turn. "I dunno how to play Sheepshead so good, so start with me last."
Stop N Go Light: A traffic light.
Uff-Dah: Oops!
Un-thaw: To defrost or thaw. "I'm goin' fishin' once the lake un-thaws."
Up-Nort: Where Wisconsinites go on vacation (Northern part of the state)
Yah-hey: Affirmative or added to reinforce a statement "The Brewers stink lately, yah-hey!"
Youse: A second person pleural. "Where are youse guys from?"
Yooper: Someone from even farther up nort!
Molly, I absolutely LOVED your list! I know someone from vet school from Toledo, OH, who said "Cripes!" a lot...he also used the expression "Cool beans!" when something was exciting... go figure. I really liked "Un-thaw" and especially "Start wit me last"--priceless!

eaglesvet
09-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Then there is the phrase, dimes to doughnuts... means you are sure about something. "Dimes to doughnuts Tim will sing ICTYW"I'm not sure where you live, LTL, but we must have a higher cost of living here in Jersey...we say, "Dollars to doughnuts..."

eaglesvet
09-14-2009, 12:37 PM
I really love the British expressions, Troub. I think I've mentioned that for many years, my boss was British, from Yorkshire. I learned all about 'the loo' early on! My two favorite expressions of his, mainly because of the mental pictures they invoke, were:

" She's got her knickers in a twist." --She's all upset/mad about something.

"You need to get your ducks in a row."--You need to get yourself/your project organized. (The thought of lining up ducks, when I first heard him say this, made me laugh out loud!)

eaglesvet
09-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Boy, to think this is only one thread to catch up one after vacation! It just happened to catch my attention...I've always loved the differences between parts of the country (and now the world), so I figured I would start here. I do have a lot more to add in other threads, but I'm sure it will take a bit of time...

To settle the soda/pop debate...it's definitely soda in NJ. And you definitely clarify exactly what type of soda you want. If you order a Coke, and the restaurant only serves Pepsi products, most of them will ask you if a Pepsi is OK! If you want orange soda, ask for orange soda; or gingerale, or 7-Up, or root beer. We're very specific here.

How about the 6- or 12-inch long sandwiches you can order from the deli? In North Jersey, they are subs (short for submarine sandwiches); while in South Jersey they are hoagies. We have more than once been met by blank stares when we have tried to order a sub in another state (most recently on vacation in Wyoming), and then realized we needed to translate into South Jersey mode and ask for a hoagie...and all was right with the world!

A couple of my favorite expressions from vet school in Ohio, that I still love today:
"He's in La-La Land." --He's not all together 'with it' upstairs, either due to lack of sleep, chemical alteration, or just plain absent-mindedness.
"You snooze, you lose."--If you don't pay attention to what's going on around you, opportunities will pass you by.

I will try to think of some more specific Jersey-isms later...if only I could add the accent you hear on the Sopranos!:wink:

MikeA
09-14-2009, 01:48 PM
For something that is "officially scheduled" we might say it is "set (or etched) in granite". For something that's rumored, it's "etched in jello".

"Move it or Milk it!" to someone who is holding up a line or holding up traffic by moving to slow. Or, the more vulgar version "SH*T or Get off the Pot!"

"Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey!"

ticky
09-14-2009, 01:50 PM
Hey EV, Welcome home!
Or(uh)Gun works but you're probably from Eastern Oregon or Southern Oregon. Portlanders are usually Or-E-gun with the emphasis on the OR, but that could also be a backlash from UofO in Eugene...

I thought of a couple more I didnt ad in my last "tyrade"

Jimminy Christmas!- instead of using JC's name in vane.. and I usually add Peas n Carrots! for instance "Well Jimminy Christmas Peas n Carrots! The Eagles are doing ANOTHER show in Missouri?? What the heck???" *G*

MikeA
09-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Similar to Ticky's "Peas in a Pod": Alike as peas in a pod.

In Arkansas, I grew up being called "String Bean" or "Bean Pole". That was the usual description for any 90 lb weakling and I was (and still am) the poster child for that expression.

BTW, 90 lb weakling was taken from comic book advertisements back in the 50's nad 60's. Every one of them had a add with some scrawny kid getting sand kicked in his face on the beach by some Charles Atlas type! "For only $3 and 90 days you too can be the envy of everyone!"

Maleah
09-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Last night my sister reminded me of a common one when she replied to a statement my brother said with "what's that have to do with the price of tea in China?" - Basically saying that has nothing to do with what we were talking about.

Molly
09-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Molly, I absolutely LOVED your list! I know someone from vet school from Toledo, OH, who said "Cripes!" a lot...he also used the expression "Cool beans!" when something was exciting... go figure. I really liked "Un-thaw" and especially "Start wit me last"--priceless!

Thanks! But I pride myself in NOT using these expressions! Someone just told me recently that while hubby sounded like he was from Wisconsin, I didn't -and I was thrilled!

A lot of it is from a heavy German influence in this area. People (especially older people) have a habit of putting a "SCH" (pronounced SHHH) on the front of words that don't have it .

Example, if you go to a Friday fish fry, you might decide to have smelt. Expect, you might pronounce it SHMELT.

We have a doctor at our hospital named Smale and when he would get overhead paged by our older switchboard operator, she would say "Paging Dr. SHMALE." He wasn't from Wisconsin, so he'd get this confused look on his face. He asked me once, "Who says SHMALE?" And I told him, the same people who eat SHMELT.

eaglesvet
09-14-2009, 08:28 PM
lol!

MikeA
09-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Last night my sister reminded me of a common one when she replied to a statement my brother said with "what's that have to do with the price of tea in China?" - Basically saying that has nothing to do with what we were talking about.

LOL.....that brought to mind the quote you used "Price of Tea in China".

In one definition, it had nothing to do with Tea or China either necessarily. It was a reference by boots in the Armed Services to the price charged in Houses of Ill Repute in various locations around the world.

But it also carries the straight forward definition too....having to do with the way all things impact the economy including even the Price of Tea in China.

Troubadour
09-14-2009, 08:53 PM
We use "what's that got to do with the price of peas?" over here!

Brooke
09-15-2009, 10:55 AM
And we say "what's that got to do with the price of cabbage?" :lol:

luvthelighthouse
09-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Six of one half dozen of another...

ticky
09-15-2009, 12:02 PM
Six of one half dozen of another...

I use that one all the time, drives Cliff (mathematician) nuts hehehe.

Another one I thought of (as I was using it) was "Too big for his britches" meaning someone who thinks they're more important then they are, as in "$500 for EAGLES TICKETS?? Irving Azoff is getting too big for his britches!"

TimothyBFan
09-15-2009, 12:33 PM
I use that one all the time, drives Cliff (mathematician) nuts hehehe.

Another one I thought of (as I was using it) was "Too big for his britches" meaning someone who thinks they're more important then they are, as in "$500 for EAGLES TICKETS?? Irving Azoff is getting too big for his britches!"

:hilarious:

This is embarrassing, but when we were kids, my Dad used to say "Sh*t in one hand and wish in another and see which one fills up the fastest". I know, I know! But we always got the point.

MikeA
09-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Intelligence

He's not the brightest bulb in the chandilier.

One brick short of a load.

He always wanted to be a Wit. He's half right.

If his brains was dynamite, he wouldn't have enough there to blow his nose.

He wouldn't make a pimple on a tough man's arse!

Let's not make mountains out of mole hills.

ticky
09-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Intelligence

He's not the brightest bulb in the chandilier.

One brick short of a load.

He always wanted to be a Wit. He's half right.

If his brains was dynamite, he wouldn't have enough there to blow his nose.

He wouldn't make a pimple on a tough man's arse!

Let's not make mountains out of mole hills.

I always use Not the sharpest crayon in the box

and my Mom always said "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride." something HER mom always told her and Im sure she got it from her mother.

luvthelighthouse
09-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Oh, how can I forget my favorite... Sharp as a marble.

Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Dumb as a box of rocks.

Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

eaglesvet
09-15-2009, 02:56 PM
We say "the price of tea in China," but I love the local variations with peas and cabbage!

In regards to intelligence (or lack thereof0:

Not the brightest crayon in the box.
Not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
The light's on, but no one's home. (my personal favorite)
If he had another neuron, there'd be a synapse.

In regards to the (low) price of something, I love to say, "Cheap as dirt." I'll also often call something the "bargain of the century." (Unfortunately, these words have never been uttered by me online at Ticketmaster...:-()

If someone has a propensity for falsehoods, "he lies like a rug."

I've spent quite a bit of time in New England, and must admit that is my favorite vernacular (and accent) in the country. In Maine, everything is preceeded by the adjective "wicked," as in: "wicked good" or "wicked cool." I've actually not heard anything bad being labelled wicked, however! :hilarious:

MikeA
09-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Okay, this one is Family Specific....won't hear it anywhere outside of my family in Arkansas.

I have a cousin who was on a vacation trip out in Vegas during which, they visited Hoover Dam. She was talking to her Mother, (My Aunt) on a cell phone and got excited and said something like "We're coming up on Hoover Dam!" except the cell phone's reception blipped and dropped the Hoover part. Her mother heard it as "We're coming up on, DAMN!"

Now you gotta understand, My Mother and all her Sisters and families are extremely Bible Belt (something happened with me and it didn't take, but it wasn't for a lack of trying on HER part). You'll never hear anything worse than "Shoot" come out of their mouths for cursing . But since that Vegas trip of my cousin's, I hear even MY mother expletive her computer as that "HOOVER Machine". Or that "Hoover car won't start!"

lynnzop
09-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Best Soda/Pop/BrandName story I can relate...

We were in a diner in Florida. The menu clearly stated beverages as
Coke
Milk
Sweet Tea

I thought I was being pretty smart when I asked the waitress for a Diet Coke. Without a beat, she asked "Is Diet Pepsi okay, hun?"

:soda:

And Molly, your WI list made me crack up. I grew up in Minnesota and recognize several of those terms (although I don't really use them either ;))

MikeA
09-16-2009, 04:44 PM
"Chasin' My Tail"

I've got a golf tournament coming up (maybe Pebble Beach.) I have a concert coming up (maybe LROE?). I need to practice for the golf tournament but if I do, I won't be able to rehearse for the concert. Okay, I'll practice for the concert, but then I can't practice for the golf tournament! Oh my, I'm chasin' my tail! I don't know whether to come hither or go yon! Like a donkey between a sack of oats and a bag of corn! I don't know Sh*t from Shineola. I think I'll just go find a hole and crawl in it, bend over and kiss my A$$ goodbye <sigh>

eaglesvet
09-21-2009, 11:23 PM
I just realized I haven't mentioned the most New Jerseyan of expressions ever...it's so ingrained in our vernacular that I had temporarily forgotten that the rest of the country /world doesn't say this. When we go to the sandy place on the NJ coastline to swim in the ocean, a NJ native would never say they are "going to the beach." We are always "going down the Shore." And it is "down," no matter the actual direction you need to travel to get there.

Even Tom Waits realized this when he wrote Jersey Girl (covered by Bruce Springsteen)..."cause down the shore everything's all right..."

luvthelighthouse
09-22-2009, 10:26 AM
EV, that reminds me. When we refer to Chicago, it is "the city". Example: I'm going into the city to see a concert at the House of Blues. Sure, there may be other cities out there to other people, but for Chicagoans, there is only ONE city. :hilarious:

sodascouts
09-22-2009, 12:14 PM
I just used the expression "high on the hog" in another thread!

Livin' high on the hog - living in a way that only the rich can afford to do. Each of the Eagles has enough money to live high on the hog and buy anything he likes!

MikeA
09-22-2009, 01:20 PM
I just used the expression "high on the hog" in another thread!

Livin' high on the hog - living in a way that only the rich can afford to do. Each of the Eagles has enough money to live high on the hog and buy anything he likes!

In Arkansas, we are in "Tall Cotton".

"Jest got my Social Security check...I'm in tall cotton now!"

eaglesvet
09-22-2009, 01:31 PM
EV, that reminds me. When we refer to Chicago, it is "the city". Example: I'm going into the city to see a concert at the House of Blues. Sure, there may be other cities out there to other people, but for Chicagoans, there is only ONE city. :hilarious:
:shrug:HUH?? I thought that was NY?!:wink:

Peekaboo
09-22-2009, 11:35 PM
:shrug:HUH?? I thought that was NY?!:wink:

:hilarious: Nope, we use "the city" here too for Oklahoma City.

I've been meaning to post in this thread for a while but everytime i log on I forget which expressions i was going to post. At the moment I do remember a few so here goes....

We do say pop here instead of soda. Hearing somebody say soda sounds weird to me. When my cousin moved from Oklahoma to Florida a few years ago, she said people there made fun of her for saying pop. By the time she moved back to OK this past May she was saying soda. I had to tell her "You're back in Oklahoma now, you better say that right :wink:"

Throwing Down/Throw Down- This could have several meanings. It could mean that people are fighting. Ex. "Glenn and Don's argument got a little too heated and now they are throwing down right here in the studio." I also use it for when I'm driving. I tend to drive a little fast and my new car can definitely throw down, especially when I need to merge onto the highway.

Tore It- Used after a night of drinking. "Did you see how much we drank last night? Man, we really tore it but we sure had fun."

One of the things I say a lot is yall. At times, I tend to type the way I speak. I'm sure i've even used that word here on the boards many times.

Many of you know that I am a full blood Native American. We have a lot of our own expressions. One is the way we say Indian. We pronounce it "Inden." Another one is "buh". It's just an expression that doesn't really mean anything in particular. Example: "Oh buh, I didn't know you were going to be here." Saying "Annit" is kind of like saying "isn't it" but it can also be an expression like "buh." "Aye" is another word we use that doesn't really have a meaning. It's pronounced just like saying the letter A. I can't even think of an example of how we use it. I guess you'd just have to hear it (along with the other words I've mentioned) to really understand. As far as I know, "buh", "annit", and "aye" aren't actual words from a specific tribal language, they are just words/expressions that are used by Indians.

I remember reading in this thread that somebody mentioned using time for distance. We do that here too. When someone asks you how far it is to a certain place, the response would be something like "It's only about 15 minutes from my house to the city" instead of just saying how many miles it is. We also say "up there", "down there", or "over there" when talking about a city/town north, south, east or west of where you live. "You're dad is going to Lawton tomorrow. Are you going to meet him down there?". Also, saying "up" or "down" works too "We're going up to the city, are you coming with us?"

I know there's more but my mind is starting to draw a blank now.

MikeA
09-23-2009, 06:59 AM
You're "Yall" expression is used a lot in Arkansas too. "Y'all" is the singular and "All Y'all" is the plural.

"Y'all goin over to Mike's house, John? Why don't All Y'all go over there so I can get the yard mowed."

lynnzop
09-23-2009, 01:51 PM
I haven't lived in Dallas since I was three and I still say (and type) y'all. :laugh:

One I DON'T use, but get in all kinds of discussions with my East Coast friends is where you are if you are waiting with a bunch of people.

Me: I'm IN line to get my Eagles concert tickets.
EC: I'm ON line to get my Eagles concert tickets.

But there's no line to stand on?! :laugh:

ticky
09-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Okay, here's one that ALWAYS messed me up in NY.. I have NEVER heard it used anywhere else.. occasionally as a joke I'll use it here.. but it has NO meaning anywhere else as far as I can see.. now since it's been 30+ years since I've lived there, perhaps, if I get it wrong, some of your east coasters can correct me.

Coffee regular = Black coffee with two creamers and three sugars.

When we went to NY I drank my coffee black.. to ME that's regular... every time they asked me if I wanted my coffee regular.. I thought "yeah, black.. nothing in it.. regular." after the 2nd year I finally got it but by then, I took my coffee regular. Go figure...

ANOTHER east coast/New York expression I learned and STILL use is

Fagitaboutit = (Fah)-GI-tabow-(tit), For Get About It- meaning it's beyond comprehension. "Didja see the the Jets game last night? FaGitaboutit! They got Stomped!" helps if you add a heavy Brooklyn accent with it.

like I said, it's been 30+ years so I may have lost some of the translation but I very clearly remember the expressions themselves.

Molly
09-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Having just gotten back from Jersey, I can tell you that one phrase they DON'T use there is "self service" gas station. :eyebrow:

We could have run out of gas looking for one!

sodascouts
09-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Wow, that's a shocker! I didn't think folks still did full-service anywhere anymore.

ticky
09-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Self service isnt legal in Oregon. I know, weird, we dont have sales tax either.

Molly
09-23-2009, 07:29 PM
Self service isnt legal in Oregon. I know, weird, we dont have sales tax either.

That doesn't sound weird, that sounds like paradise!

luvthelighthouse
09-23-2009, 11:12 PM
That doesn't sound weird, that sounds like paradise!

Right Molly! I pay at the pump and I never see the person working at the gas station, ever! No sales tax, OM, paradise is right. Try adding 10% to everything you buy!

lynnzop
09-23-2009, 11:42 PM
I am SO moving to Oregon.

09-23-2009, 11:57 PM
You know this is funny, but here in Virginia we have nothing but self serve gas. I cannot even think of one single full service gas station anywhere here. I just figured it was like this everywhere until I went up to visit my aunt in Massachusetts last month. It is exactly the opposite - nothing but full service stations up there. Just curious, but wonder if this has something to do with various state laws? To the best of my knowledge, there is no law in Virginia regarding this.

And now to bring this back to expressions, one of the things they say in Massachusetts is that someone is 'fresh'. I think it means mischievous or misbehaving as in "Don't get fresh with me." During my visit, my aunt who lives in Nashville was also there. We always love getting the Nashville folks together with the Bostonians. Once they get going, it's hard to figure out what either of them are saying. :lol:

ticky
09-24-2009, 12:03 AM
Just curious, but wonder if this has something to do with various state laws? To the best of my knowledge, there is no law in Virginia regarding this.

Exactly. Oregonians have voted down both Self Service Gas Stations and Sales Taxes many, many times. It's kind of a state pride thing I guess but on the other hand we have enormous property taxes and our housing costs are through the roof. We also get a lot of rain.. I mean a LOT of rain... we're webbed footed for a reason. quack..

Peekaboo
09-24-2009, 02:49 AM
Thought of a few more.

"I'm gonna run to the store" Of course this means that i'm driving to the store and not running.

"Mom, i'm gonna throw in a load of laundry" I think you get the jist here.

"I'm gonna jump in the shower" could also be said as "I'm gonna hop in the shower" This could be really dangerous but if you literally jump or hop in the shower. Of course we don't really do that.

MikeA
09-24-2009, 08:36 AM
Someone else mentioned it...about self-service gas stations. I'd never thought about it! In Kansas and in Arkansas (and Oklahoma as far as I know)...everything is self-service when it comes to fuel. There are many "stations" that don't even have an attendant...plastic only!

KOALA

Are you reading this thread and taking notes? I can only imagine how confusing it is to you!

Koala
09-24-2009, 08:59 AM
KOALA

Are you reading this thread and taking notes? I can only imagine how confusing it is to you!
Yes, I read every posting of this thread! I love it!:thumbsup:
It is very interesting and yeah, at the same time totally confusing for me!:hilarious:

GlennLover
09-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Thought of a few more.

"I'm gonna run to the store" Of course this means that i'm driving to the store and not running.

"Mom, i'm gonna throw in a load of laundry" I think you get the jist here.

"I'm gonna jump in the shower" could also be said as "I'm gonna hop in the shower" This could be really dangerous but if you literally jump or hop in the shower. Of course we don't really do that.

Jess, we use all of those, LOL!

eaglesvet
09-24-2009, 10:36 PM
Okay, here's one that ALWAYS messed me up in NY.. I have NEVER heard it used anywhere else.. occasionally as a joke I'll use it here.. but it has NO meaning anywhere else as far as I can see.. now since it's been 30+ years since I've lived there, perhaps, if I get it wrong, some of your east coasters can correct me.

Coffee regular = Black coffee with two creamers and three sugars.

When we went to NY I drank my coffee black.. to ME that's regular... every time they asked me if I wanted my coffee regular.. I thought "yeah, black.. nothing in it.. regular." after the 2nd year I finally got it but by then, I took my coffee regular. Go figure...

ANOTHER east coast/New York expression I learned and STILL use is

Fagitaboutit = (Fah)-GI-tabow-(tit), For Get About It- meaning it's beyond comprehension. "Didja see the the Jets game last night? FaGitaboutit! They got Stomped!" helps if you add a heavy Brooklyn accent with it.

like I said, it's been 30+ years so I may have lost some of the translation but I very clearly remember the expressions themselves.
You got that right!!

eaglesvet
09-24-2009, 10:37 PM
Having just gotten back from Jersey, I can tell you that one phrase they DON'T use there is "self service" gas station. :eyebrow:

We could have run out of gas looking for one!
That's the truth! The best part of it is that our full-service gas is cheaper than NY and PA self-service. Now, that is heaven (kind of)...

And it is a state law about not having self-service.

eaglesvet
09-24-2009, 10:39 PM
I haven't lived in Dallas since I was three and I still say (and type) y'all. :laugh:

One I DON'T use, but get in all kinds of discussions with my East Coast friends is where you are if you are waiting with a bunch of people.

Me: I'm IN line to get my Eagles concert tickets.
EC: I'm ON line to get my Eagles concert tickets.

But there's no line to stand on?! :laugh:
Hey, you can buy tix either ON line, or online...more likely to get them online anymore, though!

eaglesvet
09-24-2009, 10:54 PM
And now to bring this back to expressions, one of the things they say in Massachusetts is that someone is 'fresh'. I think it means mischievous or misbehaving as in "Don't get fresh with me." During my visit, my aunt who lives in Nashville was also there. We always love getting the Nashville folks together with the Bostonians. Once they get going, it's hard to figure out what either of them are saying. :lol:That's hilarious!

When kids talk back, they're 'being fresh.'

GlennLover
09-25-2009, 09:41 AM
Around here if someone said "don't get fresh with me" it would mean, for example, that a guy had come on to a girl and his actions were not welcome. It has more of a sexual connotation.

MikeA
09-25-2009, 10:25 AM
"Charge Hell with a Bucket of Water"

That guy's got uncommon courage but not too bright...he'd charge Hell with a bucket of water!

09-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Around here if someone said "don't get fresh with me" it would mean, for example, that a guy had come on to a girl and his actions were not welcome. It has more of a sexual connotation.

Same here, GL. That why I thought it was so strange to hear it used another way.

luvthelighthouse
09-25-2009, 01:04 PM
My co-worker was just explaining that is was impossible to get something to a customer today and she said... "it's like trying to push a dinosaur through a keyhole"... I think I kinda like that!

eaglesvet
09-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Oh that is toooo weird, LTLH. At Back to School Night just the other night, one of my son's teachers used the analogy of trying to "push a herd of elephants through a doorway"! (And that was the first time I ever had that mental picture before, never mind dinosaurs through pinholes!)

Dreamer and GL, here in the Northeast, I guess both kids and adults can be fresh in their own ways...I've heard the term used in the way you describe as well. :wink:

ticky
09-25-2009, 07:38 PM
After reading the last two posts (and after picking Sarah up after school and witnessing the doors burst open as the bell rang on possibly the last nice friday and weekend of the year) another analogy came to mind.
"It's like herding cats"
meaning not likely or possible as in "Getting the kids to leave the school in an orderly fashioned today was like herding cats"

eaglesvet
09-25-2009, 07:42 PM
I've heard that before, and love that mental picture even more...kinda like getting your ducks in a row!

Maleah
09-26-2009, 01:48 AM
I had a heck of a time finding my capo for my guitar! It was like "looking for a needle in a haystack!" But I found it! ;)

MikeA
09-26-2009, 07:41 AM
Maleah,

This is not a "local expression" but a dumb one that your "needle" reminded me of:

I've lost my capo. I've looked everywhere for it!

http://www.mvabercrombie.net/Emoticons/thumbs/thumb_x_j0425786.jpg

(obviously you haven't or you would have found it!

Maleah
09-26-2009, 02:07 PM
LOL! I have to admit, I'm guilty of saying that a LOT! lol!

ticky
09-26-2009, 02:32 PM
CLiff came up with one this morning I'd forgotten and actually made me do a spit take.. Sarah was about to eat something off the floor that had icky stuff all over it and he stopped her. He threw it away and as he turned around and walked away he said "eat that and you'll be barfin' like a Sorority Girl" ... that Cliffy...

Molly
09-26-2009, 03:27 PM
CLiff came up with one this morning I'd forgotten and actually made me do a spit take.. Sarah was about to eat something off the floor that had icky stuff all over it and he stopped her. He threw it away and as he turned around and walked away he said "eat that and you'll be barfin' like a Sorority Girl" ... that Cliffy...

LOL! And that immediately made me think of "praying to the porcelain god".

This morning my son said his buddy met his new girlfriend when he was wearing "Beer goggles". Which I guess means, she "fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down."

sodascouts
09-26-2009, 05:40 PM
LOL! These are making me crack up!!

When I was a college undergrad, I heard lots of different expressions meaning vomiting, throwing up, puking, barfing... whatever you wanna call it! Some I remember off the top of my head:

blow chunks

upchuck

hurl

spew

toss your cookies

hug the toilet

Lovely, eh? ;)

Glennsallnighter
09-26-2009, 05:42 PM
LOL! I have to admit, I'm guilty of saying that a LOT! lol!

Maleah.....I've told you a MILLION times not to exaggerate :wink:

AmarilloByMorning
09-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Oooh college is replete with such glorious expressions... most of the ones I recall are unprintable.

Bit late to the game, but I had to laugh at the list Molly posted translating Wisconsin colloquialisms to, well, American English. On the popular topic of soda vs. pop... When I moved to Illinois with literally my entire life in the back of my Jeep, I stopped right outside of Chicago to buy a Pepsi. The woman at the register inquired as to whether "I'd like to grab one more; pop's two for a dollar." I blinked at her, eyed my bottle of Pepsi and package of gum, thought about my father and what he could possibly have to do with the instant situation, and after a few seconds of dead air managed to decipher her phrase. Welcome to the Land of Lincoln.

Maleah
09-27-2009, 12:25 AM
Maleah.....I've told you a MILLION times not to exaggerate :wink:

:hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

Wildthyme
09-27-2009, 01:57 AM
My mom had lots of phrases she used all the time. Right now I can't even think of most of them but here are a few I remember, some of which I have taken to using over the years myself. My mom grew up in Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, and Montana so I expect most of them have their origins there.

Who put a nickel in you? - used when one of us was being loud and/or silly

You'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar - you'll get further being nice than being nasty

If wishes were horses beggars would ride - Used when we started wishing for things that were unlikely to happen

Get off your high horse - used when one of us thought we were too good to do something or acted like we were better than someone

You're getting too big for your britches - used when we were getting sassy - early warning to stop NOW or risk big trouble lol

Is your name on it? - used when one of us started in with the "but its mine" whine because we didn't want to share with our sibling(s)

I'm not paying to heat up the outdoors - used if you left a door open in cold weather

Were you born in a barn? - another one used if you left a door hanging open

Who died and made you boss/pope/king/queen? - used when one of us started getting bossy

MikeA
09-27-2009, 08:26 AM
This was a GREAT idea someone had when this topic was started! I'm gettin something better than book larnin' out of this.

Some one who is caught by surprise or who has been asked a question they were not prepared to answer might be caught "like a deer in the headlights."

At night, a deer will freeze momentarily when caught in the headlights of an oncoming car. Except the "bucks". In rutting season, they are liable to charge at an oncoming car going 70mph!

EXAMPLE...our car after the encounter with the deer (http://mvabercrombie.net/abercrombie_albums/2009_0925/2009_0925.html)

He's just "sewing some wild oats". (doing something that is not mature for his age).

He's "following the wild geese". (Not settling down...geese migrate every year). (Also someone is "on a wild goose chase" meaning someone is doing the wrong thing but for the right reasons.)

Maleah
09-27-2009, 07:23 PM
My mom had lots of phrases she used all the time. Right now I can't even think of most of them but here are a few I remember, some of which I have taken to using over the years myself. My mom grew up in Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, and Montana so I expect most of them have their origins there.

Who put a nickel in you? - used when one of us was being loud and/or silly

You'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar - you'll get further being nice than being nasty

If wishes were horses beggars would ride - Used when we started wishing for things that were unlikely to happen

Get off your high horse - used when one of us thought we were too good to do something or acted like we were better than someone

You're getting too big for your britches - used when we were getting sassy - early warning to stop NOW or risk big trouble lol

Is your name on it? - used when one of us started in with the "but its mine" whine because we didn't want to share with our sibling(s)

I'm not paying to heat up the outdoors - used if you left a door open in cold weather

Who died and made you boss/pope/king/queen? - used when one of us started getting bossy

LOL Every single one of those is used on a regular basis here!

luvthelighthouse
10-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Needs no explaination... "if i were any happier, i'd be twins"... that one always cracks me up.

sodascouts
10-05-2009, 03:22 PM
That one is cute! I don't think I've heard it before.

Here's a few others I've thought of and have been meaning to post.

two shakes of a lamb's tail: very quickly. I'll be there in two shakes of a lamb's tail!

hold your horses: wait, don't be so impatient. I know you're eager to go to the show, but hold your horses - I'm not ready yet.

don't let your mouth write a check your a$$ can't cash: don't make threats unless you're prepared to carry them out. When Felder got in Frey's face and threatened to beat him up after the show, Frey told him 'Don't let your mouth write a check your a$$ can't cash.' ;)

Wildthyme
10-05-2009, 05:15 PM
hold your horses: wait, don't be so impatient. I know you're eager to go to the show, but hold your horses - I'm not ready yet.

I use "hold your horses" too. Then there is "hold your water" and "don't get your panties in a twist" that are used with the same meaning.

Glennsallnighter
10-05-2009, 06:31 PM

I love this one. You see one of our biggest Maternity hospitals is in an area called 'Dolphins Barn'

Molly
10-05-2009, 07:20 PM
"don't get your panties in a twist" with the

A variation I use is "don't get your undies in a bunch".

Then there's "running around like a chicken with it's head cut off" (hurrying about with no real purpose)

"sweating like a hooker in church" (perspiring nervously)

Koala
10-06-2009, 01:15 AM

we say something like that with us too, we say Always slowly with the young horses.

TimothyBFan
10-06-2009, 07:18 AM
don't let your mouth write a check your a$$ can't cash

Love that one---believe I will be using that one!

Prettymaid
10-06-2009, 07:45 AM
This thread has become so long I can't remember which ones have already been posted!
How about You're preaching to the choir; you're telling me something I agree with you on, or that I agree shouldn't be done.

(Soda): Cathy, Glenn Frey is really hot!
(Cathy): Nancy, you're preaching to the choir!

or

(A mother to her children): Somebody is leaving their bath towel on the floor!
(Kids to mother): Dad's the one doing it Mom, you're preaching to the choir!

Troubadour
10-06-2009, 05:08 PM
It's interesting how many sayings we share, just with slight differences. We say "preaching to the converted" (instead of choir) and "don't get your knickers in a twist". Another one that means the same as the latter is "keep your hair on!"

If one of us is standing in front of the TV, my grandad always says "You make a good door, but not a very good window." Self-explanatory, I think! ;)

MikeA
10-06-2009, 06:58 PM
"Took off like a scared rabbit"

I was so hungry that my stomach was beginning to think my throat was cut!

Coffee was strong enough to float a horseshoe.

You got a bee in your bonnet? Who put a nickel in you? Expressions describing someone who speaks out of turn...uninvited.

Glennsallnighter
10-07-2009, 04:20 AM
It's interesting how many sayings we share, just with slight differences. We say "preaching to the converted" (instead of choir) and "don't get your knickers in a twist". Another one that means the same as the latter is "keep your hair on!"

If one of us is standing in front of the TV, my grandad always says "You make a good door, but not a very good window." Self-explanatory, I think! ;)

My dad always used to say to us 'You're beautiful but not transparent in that situation. The teenagers in the school where I teach have a less complimentary expression 'You may be a pain but you're not Glass'

When hubby and I are planning something to do with the kids we plan it ourselves first so that if there are any decisions to be made - his quote- 'we are singing off the same hymnsheet'

ticky
10-07-2009, 10:48 AM
I just came across one that I thought was pretty much universal, but my friend hadn't heard it before. I said I was still taking the pain killers so I may just spend the day "vegging out" I had to explain that meant laying around doing nothing.

MikeA
10-07-2009, 05:43 PM
"Chompin' at the bit"

Refers to the bit of the bridle used in riding horses.

Expression is used to indicate someone's impatience:

"I'm chompin' at the bit to get hold of the Les Paul that should be in my hands in three days!"

Molly
10-07-2009, 05:53 PM
I just heard this used for the first time this season:

"Lake effect snow" :thumbsdown:

Ah, the joy of living in a cold snowy region next to a large lake!

TimothyBFan
10-08-2009, 07:19 AM
Ticky-gotta say that I can't believe your friend had never heard vegging out before!

I thought of one last night----Like putting 10 pounds of sh** in a 5 pound bag. Pretty easy to figure that one out.

10-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Yeah TBF - the mental image of that one is well ... uhmm ... you know!

And speaking of mental images, Molly please - you're really creeping out us Southerners with all that 'lake effect snow' stuff!!! :) (And OBTW, a little off topic, but congrats to Troubadour Molly!)

And finally, speaking of 'vegging out', it reminded me of anpther one we use a lot. Even though this really has nothing to do with vegging out, we say two people are like "two peas in a pod" whenever they look or act alike.

MikeA
10-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Someone suggested this needed to be here. Strictly a "Hillbilly" expression to denote astonishment:

"I've been around the world 4 times, been to 7 county fairs and 3 hog killin's and ain't never seen nuthin' like that before!"

If you think that is an exaggeration, well it isn't. There is a place on Beaver Lake near Fayetteville, Arkansas called "Hog Scald" where the pig farmers would gather back in the hills to butcher pork. It's for real. Or was "real" 60 or 70 years ago. There's even a road sign marking it. I couldn't see it on Streets & Trips, but it's there. I've seen it on motorcycle rides and had heard of it long before I ever saw the place!

Molly
10-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Someone suggested this needed to be here. Strictly a "Hillbilly" expression to denote astonishment:

"I've been around the world 4 times, been to 7 county fairs and 3 hog killin's and ain't never seen nuthin' like that before!"

If you think that is an exaggeration, well it isn't. There is a place on Beaver Lake near Fayetteville, Arkansas called "Hog Scald" where the pig farmers would gather back in the hills to butcher pork. It's for real. Or was "real" 60 or 70 years ago. There's even a road sign marking it. I couldn't see it on Streets & Trips, but it's there. I've seen it on motorcycle rides and had heard of it long before I ever saw the place!

Growing up amongst farmers, I believe you Mike. I guess my Uncle Gerald's farm would be known as the local "Hog Scald". I witnessed it once when I was about 10 years old and never went back. I still cringe everytime I think of it.

I thought of another of my Dad's gems. Whenever he heard any of the music I was listening to, he comment "That guy couldn't carry a tune in a wheelbarrow!"

Molly
10-08-2009, 12:35 PM
And speaking of mental images, Molly please - you're really creeping out us Southerners with all that 'lake effect snow' stuff!!! :) (And OBTW, a little off topic, but congrats to Troubadour Molly!)

Thank you, Kay. Took me long enough, didn't it?

Remember when we were at Pebble Beach enjoying the beautiful mild February weather, and I called home to find out my family was buried under a snowstorm? Tah dah!

sodascouts
10-08-2009, 01:14 PM
So fun to read these!

Molly, your "wheelbarrow" one reminded me of one I've heard:

couldn't fight his way out of a brown paper bag - a weak guy who would get his butt kicked in any fight. Frank talks tough but in reality he couldn't fight his way out of a brown paper bag.

ETA: Congrats on Troubadour status from me, too! Ah, yes, the heady days of Pebble Beach... :sigh:

Brooke
10-08-2009, 01:37 PM
I thought of another of my Dad's gems. Whenever he heard any of the music I was listening to, he comment "That guy couldn't carry a tune in a wheelbarrow!"

Ours is similar. Here we say "they couldn't carry a tune in a bucket!"

Brooke
10-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Ours is similar. Here we say "they couldn't carry a tune in a bucket!"

ETA: Molly, congrats on being a Troubadour!

10-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Thank you, Kay. Took me long enough, didn't it?

Remember when we were at Pebble Beach enjoying the beautiful mild February weather, and I called home to find out my family was buried under a snowstorm? Tah dah!

Uh yeah Molly - I think I vaguely remember something about Pebble Beach. If I recall correctly, I was happier than a hog in slop! :thumbsup:

skibum1606
10-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Re soda water: here it is a very specific type of drink made by Schweppes, whichi is like carbonated mineral water but with a slightly acid taste. My mother used to enjoy a drink that mixed vermouth (Cinzano) with Schweppes soda water.

here we call that stuff seltzer but we do know it as soda water also.
i forget who said it but "wicked" is a very common saying in Massachusetts also.

two expressions i haven't heard yet are "have a cow" and "flip a lid" which are normally used when you know someone is going to flip out when you tell them something ex.-"my sister is going to flip a lid when i tell her that i volunteered her to build the sets for the upcoming play" ordon't have a cow when i tell you this but i accidentally left dinner where the dog could get it and well now it's gone

i have one English friend who likes to use the phrase "no word of a lie" which is self explanatory.

and for stupid phrases what about "it was in the last place i looked"
um do you normally keep looking for things after you find them?

Brooke
10-16-2009, 04:57 PM
Just thought of a couple:

potlicker-a brat, scoundrel, rascal as in "That little potlicker! I'll get him for that!" (My husband uses this one a lot-his Grandpa used to say it.)

cut and dried-that's it!, no deviation.

eaglesvet
10-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Here's one that I heard for the second time last week, so it may be new to all of you as well... to "Throw someone under the bus" in terms of pointing blame at him/her. For example (these are the exact situations I heard them in: )

"Go ahead and sign my neighbor up for your committee--she's a good friend of mine. If she asks, you can throw me under the bus."

"I don't want to throw anyone under the bus, but one of the other parents in this Cub Scout den forgot to schedule the speaker for next week's meeting. Can you do it now?"

The first time I heard this saying, I was a bit surprised. However, the second time, it seemed very appropriate :scowl:!

sodascouts
10-27-2009, 11:12 AM
I hear this expression used a lot on competitive reality shows regarding elimination strategy. There, it means to sacrifice someone else in order to save oneself.

"Megan and Frank were in an alliance. However, when Megan feared she would be eliminated from the competition, she threw Frank under the bus by joining the opposing alliance."

"When Brandi told Bret that Heather was a liar and therefore she should be eliminated instead of Brandi, Heather screamed, 'Don't listen to her, Bret! She's just trying to throw me under the bus to save herself!'"

eaglesvet
10-27-2009, 08:38 PM
That explains it...I never watch those shows!