PDA

View Full Version : The 'lost' eagle album....

bernie's bender
09-13-2009, 03:49 PM
If you are a vinyl enthusiast... There was a band called Silver back in the 70's that might be worth giving a listen.

They only had one album, but except for the bubblegummy hit (which they were forced to record by Clive Davis) "Wham Bam" they were a great band in the vein of the Eagles.

The band had members who were connected to the Eagles and other bands and went on to do cool stuff: John Batdorf (from Batdorf and Rodney), Brent Mydland (keyboard player for the Grateful Dead), Handsome Harry Stinson (current drummer for Marty Stuart) Tom Leadon (Bernie's brother and also a guitar player in Mudcrutch) Greg Collier (maybe the most talented member and still working as a singer songwriter)

If you get a chance to pick this record up (no cd) or if you go to Greg Collier's myspace site (http://www.myspace.com/gregcollier) you can hear several of the cuts.... it is a great record...

check out Right on Time and Trust in Somebody.... they could have come right off On the Border and yet they still sound unique....

sodascouts
09-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the rec's. I'll have to check those out!

It really is a shame how so many records don't get transferred to CD and thus essentially get trapped within their generation.

bernie's bender
09-13-2009, 05:21 PM
They made a really great (really great) second album that never got released because the label was shut down... I've had two guys looking for the original reels for a long time... someday they'll turn up and I'll get to listen to it...

Greg Collier's got a new band which may end up doing some good stuff....

if people knew how much great music is sitting rotting in boxes in storage.. it is mind boggling....