PDA

View Full Version : Mary Travers

AzEaglesFan
09-17-2009, 12:57 AM
Don't know if any of you remember Peter, Paul and Mary. Just saw on Yahoo that Mary Travers passed away, she was 72 years old. She had a beautiful voice and I still have a couple of their vinyl LPs.

Ive always been a dreamer
09-17-2009, 01:05 AM
OMG - we sure are losing a lot of very talented people this week. I loved Peter, Paul, and Mary in the '60's. I believe they were one of the first groups to record a Bob Dylan song. Their version of 'Blowin' In the Wind" is still probably my favorite of all their songs. Mary did, indeed, have a beautiful voice. May she RIP.

DonFan
09-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Mary's lovely voice added so much to the harmonies of Peter, Paul and Mary. She will be sorely missed.

MikeA
09-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Oh my,

I had not heard. I grew up in the 50's and 60's to PP&M. In the mid 60's, PP&M were in the middle of the protest movement. They were of the last of the Folkies with CSN&Y sort of marking the transition between Folk groups and the burgeoning Singer/Songwriter breed.

"Blowin' In The Wind", "If I Had a Hammer", "Puff the Magic Dragon". Such harmony.

Yes, Mary will certainly be missed by ME for sure!

ticky
09-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Awe, Mary Travers was a wonderful entertainer. She not only was an important fixture in my youth, she was also in my daughters. Peter, Paul and Mommy was a favorite children's album in my home. She will be dearly missed.

lynnzop
09-17-2009, 11:58 AM
One of our radio stations was playing "Leavin' on a Jet Plane" this a.m. (and trying to figure out who wrote it, what a bunch of dolts...sorry, it's JOHN DENVER, hello, I should have called them...) but I didn't hear the reason they were playing it. :(

Mary had such a clear and pure voice, just gorgeous. PP&M were an icon of peace and love during a tumultous period of our history. Her music will live on.

sodascouts
09-17-2009, 01:46 PM
RIP, Mary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa3h3pnhg8s

Prettymaid
09-17-2009, 05:50 PM
Remember Puff The Magic Dragon? That may have been the first song I ever heard of PP&M.

Stars
09-17-2009, 07:05 PM
I remember when I was 11 years old, in 1963, my friend Peggy and I got into her brother's record collection. It was a Peter, Paul and Mary album, and the song I remember listening to over and over again was "Puff the Magic Dragon". It was my first introduction to folk music, and to this day, I still love that kind of music.
I will certainly miss Mary and her lovely voice. May she rest in peace.

MikeA
09-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Along with the first guitar I got as a Christmas Present (a Black Silvertone Archtop) my first songbook was that of PP&M. Ironic because back in Jr High (and High School for that matter) my Mother completely disapproved of just about anything that wasn't a Church Hymn. Yet, she would let me get albums and music by Folk Groups such as PP&M, The Womenfolk, Trini Lopez, The Kingston Trio and others such as those.

It irony is that PP&M particularly, disguised in subtle ways, their protest of the War in Viet Nam in folksongs! They were actually very subversive <LOL>. But it wasn't the content of their music I liked, it was both the guitar work and the fantastic three-part harmonies they incorporated into their music.

I still like it. A LOT.

thelongrun
09-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Yeap: M. Jackson, Carradine, Farah, Mary, Delp, so so many altough some are OD's and that sad stuff, I guess we the Children of the 70's will be hearing these kind and side of sad News often than we wish... God bless.:eyebrow: