PDA

View Full Version : Emmylou Harris

Brooke
09-26-2009, 02:55 PM
I love her voice and wondered if anyone here is a fan? She's been around a long time, but never had any of her music other than Trio with Linda Ronstadt and Dolly Parton. I'm thinking of trying to find some of her cds and wondered where to start.

ticky
09-26-2009, 03:13 PM
Im a big Emmy Lou Harris fan. As you know Im not a fan of country music, but Emmy Lou is the real thing and she has an amazing voice!

bernie's bender
09-26-2009, 10:49 PM
I've loved Emmy since her days with Gram. Her early albums are my favorite with James Burton and Albert Lee... her Hot Band was kind of a rite of passage for many many great players and she has earned great respect among players for her taste, rhythm guitar playing and band leadership.

She and Linda Ronstadt really raised the bar for picking great bands, great songs, solid production... their albums do not sound dated at all (similar to the Eagles) and her singing is everything you'd want.. simple, strong, plaintive and tone for days...

Like her friend Linda , (and MOST of the Eagles) she keeps it about the music and doesn't dally in gossip and scandal.

Her big greatest hits double cd is very good and representative of her best work.

Freypower
09-27-2009, 08:59 PM
I don't have any of her solo albums. I do possess the classic Gram Parsons album Grievous Angel, on which she duets with him on most of the songs (the magnificent title track being a case in point).

It won't surprise anyone that I recommend the album she made with Mark Knopfler, All The Roadrunning (there is a live DVD).

ticky
09-27-2009, 10:53 PM
I have her trio album.. the first one, I didnt care much for the second, and I LOVE Luxury Liner and Quarter Moon in a Ten Cent Town. She also did my favorite Christmas album, Light in the Stable.

Brooke
09-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Fp, I forgot I had the one with MK. Will have to dig that back out.

I hope I can find Grievous Angel and the greatest hits one for starters.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

whitcap
02-22-2011, 05:15 PM
I love Emmylou! She has a new album, Hard Bargain (http://www.nonesuch.com/journal/emmylou-harriss-hard-bargain-out-april-26-on-nonesuch-records-includes-11-new-original-songs-2011-02-18), coming out on April 26.

Brooke
02-22-2011, 05:23 PM
I did find those I wanted and now I may have to check out this new one. She has a beautiful voice and how do you look so good with gray hair?!

Thanks wc!

Freypower
02-22-2011, 07:47 PM
I would be interested to know what you thought of All The Roadrunning if you found it, Brooke.

Troubadour
02-22-2011, 07:53 PM
I love Emmylou Harris. All The Roadrunning is a great album - her voice works so well with Mark Knopfler's!

Freypower
02-22-2011, 08:01 PM
You know I don't want to get on my soapbox here, but it's interesting to compare Roadrunning with the much vaunted Raising Sand by Plant/Krauss. Roadrunning is a true duets album; Sand features some tracks with either Plant or Krauss singing entirely by themselves (for example Plant sings Fortune Teller; Krauss sings Trampled Rose). Roadrunning may not have won any Grammys but it's perhaps a bit more 'authentic'.

Brooke
02-23-2011, 10:49 AM
I would be interested to know what you thought of All The Roadrunning if you found it, Brooke.

I really like it. I'll have to dig it out again, though, cause it's been a while, to comment on each song. Since Survivor is over I can now listen to something else.

I've been wanting to get Sand, since I've heard so much about it. So many artists, so little time and money!

whitcap
04-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Emmylou's new single, The Road, is available now on http://www.amazon.com/The-Road/dp/B004SE6GXY/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1301953652&sr=1-27. (The song is about Gram. Its beautiful. I can't wait for this album!)

Her new album, Hard Bargain, comes out on the 26th.

whitcap
04-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Emmylou's new CD comes out on Tuesday :)

This is the lead off single The Road:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyUGPzBFzAM

sodascouts
04-23-2011, 11:30 PM
Cool! And Emmylou looks so beautiful in your avatar!

Brooke
04-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Yes she does. How do you make gray hair look so good?!

Love her!

tequila girl
05-08-2011, 02:30 PM
I was just checkin' out "Hard Bargain" on Amazon, listening to a couple of tracks..when Charlie (parrot) says......."what's that?" It caught his attention anyway ;-)..........

eta...I'd originally gone there to check out "Feed The Fire" and got sidetracked.....you know - the way you do! ;-)

Troubadour
07-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Here is a fantastic new interview with Emmylou from The A.V. Club:

"It's all people that you've met and experiences in your life that determine what comes out of your mouth and out of your heart." (http://www.avclub.com/articles/emmylou-harris,59083/)

(http://www.avclub.com/articles/emmylou-harris,59083/)

Brooke
09-29-2011, 02:40 PM

Hey! Sorry I took so long getting back to you on this! I really love their voices together, but I'm surprised to hear MK do such country sounding stuff. Of course, everyone likes to try different things, so why not?

My favorite two songs on the album are Love & Happiness and Beyond My Wildest Dreams. I really don't care for Red Staggerwing. Way too country & western for me. All the rest are definite likes! :thumbsup:

How about you?

Freypower
09-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Hey! Sorry I took so long getting back to you on this! I really love their voices together, but I'm surprised to hear MK do such country sounding stuff. Of course, everyone likes to try different things, so why not?

My favorite two songs on the album are Love & Happiness and Beyond My Wildest Dreams. I really don't care for Red Staggerwing. Way too country & western for me. All the rest are definite likes! :thumbsup:

How about you?

I'm so glad you like BMWD. That has become something of a theme song for me in the last month. I wonder if you can guess why? I have even made a signature using the phrase.

My own favourite tracks are the title track & Donkey Town, also If This Is Goodbye & Beachcombing. I suppose Red Staggerwing is a bit corny. I do like the way he talks about red Fenders & Vincent Red Rapides (guitars & bikes he likes).

I understand you're surprised by MK doing country sounding stuff but he has flirted with the genre off & on throughout his solo career (and even the Dire Straits song How Long has a country feel). The album which perhaps best represents this is The Ragpicker's Dream.