PDA

View Full Version : You're Given Your Own Radio Show: What's the First Song You Play?

AmarilloByMorning
09-26-2009, 07:05 PM
Deceptively simple inquiry- if you had to select just one...

This topic absolutely exploded on the amazon.com thread so I thought I'd bring it over here to peruse the answers of people I actually quasi-know.
Think carefully... you only cross this bridge once!

sodascouts
09-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Perhaps it seems trite to pick an Eagles song, but there's something about those opening strains of Take It Easy that strikes a chord (pardon the pun) with the listener and makes him/her perk up. The song lifts your spirits and makes you smile. It would be a great way to kick off my first radio show, because I'd be associating myself with that great feeling you get when Take It Easy plays.

Ive always been a dreamer
09-26-2009, 10:08 PM
ITA with your choice, Soda. I am going to also go with an Eagles song because, of course, they are my favorite band. I thought about choosing a Beatles tune, but I couldn't think of any better than the classic Eagles song that everyone also recognizes from the very first riff ...

Hotel California!

GlennLover
09-27-2009, 12:20 AM
"Take It Easy", hands down. My all time favourite song. I love the message of the song-
Don't let the sound of your own wheels make you crazy
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand
Just find a place to make your stand
Take it easy

AzEaglesFan
09-27-2009, 01:59 AM
Best of My Love, I listen to that song over and over.

bernie's bender
09-27-2009, 03:50 AM
I thought a lot about this....

I love Take it Easy and it would be a wonderful choice (as would the others) and I agree that it is a natural...

but, I believe I'd start my show with "Train Leaves Here This Morning" for a bunch of reasons: 1) my show, like the train was leaving (starting off) 2) Radio is kinda deal (actually really dead) so it fits the "I lost 10 points just for bein' at the right place at exactly the wrong time." it would be fitting for me... 3) The song was written by Bernie and maybe the most talented Byrd. There is no denying that the Byrds were the single biggest influence on the Eagles and that making a nod to that lineage would be kinda cool.

My show probably wouldn't be super popular, but for the folks that liked it... they'd really, really like it. I'd try to be like Super Soul in the classic 70's film "Vanishing Point" but I'd probably be more like Road Hog.

cynd1231
09-27-2009, 08:57 AM
I would also lean toward Take It Easy, although my FIRST thought was Hotel California. Decisions, decisions......hmm....

TAKE IT EASY!!!!

Freypower
09-27-2009, 09:02 PM
I don't know that I would start with an Eagles song. My instinct was McCartney's Band On The Run, or perhaps Led Zeppelin's Rock'n'Roll.

eaglesvet
09-28-2009, 01:57 AM
I also wouldn't start with an Eagles song. The first song that came to my mind was one of my favorite songs of all time by anyone...Thunder Road by Bruce. I just love the way it starts quietly, but builds up with excitement and anticipation...just like my radio show would!!:thumbsup:

Glennsallnighter
09-28-2009, 04:01 AM
I can understand why so many people would choose TIE and I'm up there with you, but for me it would be between Lyin Eyes and Peaceful Easy Feeling. I think really to get that good vibe going I'd opt for Peaceful Easy Feeling. But it would also depend on what type of audience you were targeting.

TimothyBFan
09-28-2009, 08:39 AM
Sorry to be different but without a doubt mine would be the Immigrant Song by Zeppelin! That song would do nothing but fire up the audience right off the bat!!! :headbang:

sodascouts
09-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Sorry to be different

Yeah, right! ;)

TimothyBFan
09-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Yeah, right! ;)

So what are you saying? :)

Maleah
09-28-2009, 12:52 PM
I think I'd start with The Long Run......."who can go the distance? We'll find out..." Hopefully the show would last :hilarious:

MikeA
09-28-2009, 12:58 PM
For me, I would play a lot of "Eagles", "Joe Walsh", "Heart", "Led Zep", "Three Dog Night" and "ZZ-Top" with a blend of some of the bluesmen ("Lang", "Clapton", "Buddy Guy", "Gary Moore", and of course "Stevie Ray Vaughan".) Would have to sprinkle in some Joplin and Hendrix too.

But for the first number played, probably either be "Fastlane" or Zep's "Blackdog". That one drives me through the roof.

Koala
09-28-2009, 01:01 PM
This is difficult, but I choose also an Eagles song!
I think the first song would be Tequila Sunrise because it was the first song by the Eagles which I consciously heard (HFO concert 1994)! With this song started it all!
But I could also very well imagine to take a song by Genesis as the first song.

Brooke
09-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Perhaps it seems trite to pick an Eagles song, but there's something about those opening strains of Take It Easy that strikes a chord (pardon the pun) with the listener and makes him/her perk up. The song lifts your spirits and makes you smile. It would be a great way to kick off my first radio show, because I'd be associating myself with that great feeling you get when Take It Easy plays.

What she said! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
09-28-2009, 01:25 PM
So what are you saying? :)

Only that you have no problem being different from the crowd. It's a good thing!

AmarilloByMorning
09-28-2009, 02:47 PM
but, I believe I'd start my show with "Train Leaves Here This Morning" for a bunch of reasons: 1) my show, like the train was leaving (starting off) 2) Radio is kinda deal (actually really dead) so it fits the "I lost 10 points just for bein' at the right place at exactly the wrong time." it would be fitting for me... Ooooh, kudos for that idea; I love the symbolism and dual application!

Mike you'd have at least one listener here! I'm digging the blues slant. Promise me Stevie Ray and where you lead, I will follow...

These are interesting to read guys, thanks for jumping in!!

ticky
09-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Hmm.. given the content a radio station *I'd* run would play (A smooth mix of Blues, Classic Rock and Dr. Demento...) I think I'd start off with Funk 49. It has one of the best beginning riffs of any song (in fact, it's my new ring tone *G*)

Molly
09-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Our local "classic hits" station has been doing something like this for years. Listeners can sign up and get their own "program" for 1 hours. It's called "Hey Mom, I'm on KLH!".

Hubby and I often listen to it and we're amazed at how lame some people's choices are (now I know it's a personal taste thing), but I can say that some people pick some really boring songs to start off with, and it's a real turn off. Also, I'd stay away from the obvious choices and the other extreme, the obscure choices.

And some of the dedications people make during their show! We just crack up. "This one goes out to my 3 year old daughter" and they play "Slow Ride" :doh:..or "This is for my Mom and Dad-today's their anniversay!" and they play "Cat Scratch Fever"
:eyebrow:

I'm sure everyone goes into it thinking their hour will be the best in the history of radio programming!

ticky, you know what they say about great minds...I'd start with Funk 49 as well.

sodascouts
09-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Molly, you need to sign up for that and show these people what good music is!

DonFan
09-29-2009, 11:32 PM
Back to the subject of this thread:

I would begin with the top two rock songs of all time: Hotel California and Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.

Then I would follow it up with Take It Easy. I am mostly in the car when I listen to the radio, so "Running down the road tryin' to loosen my load" always works for me.

Stars
09-30-2009, 08:24 AM
I was giving this question a lot of thought, and when I woke up this morning, I had my answer! (By the way, I like this thread-was it Amarillo who started it? Great idea!)
At any rate, I would start out by playing the Eagles doing "How Long". I would explain how they used to perform this song way back when, in the 70's. and how they finally decided to record it for their 2007 album, Long Road Out of Eden. Then I would go back through the Eagles catalog, playing old songs, and interspersing them with other artists that I love, who are in a similar genre. I know I'd have a ball doing this!:thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
10-01-2009, 08:26 AM
I loved this thread so I added it to my Sweet board a couple days ago. It's hilarious because of course here 95% of the songs mentioned are Eagles, there 95% of the songs are Sweet and then of course there's a few other artist interspersed. Pretty predictable of course but it is interesting to see the reasons why we pick the Eagles song or Sweet song we do to start off the Radio Show.

AmarilloByMorning
10-01-2009, 12:08 PM
here 95% of the songs mentioned are Eagles, there 95% of the songs are Sweet While I'm not admitting to anything, we... might be just a tad biased. Just a smidge.

I'm still undecided, and as such rather enjoying living vicariously through everyone else's suggestions.

bernie's bender
10-01-2009, 12:39 PM
...I would begin with the top two rock songs of all time: Hotel California and Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.

Interesting idea.... so, if they are the top two songs of all time... do they need more exposure? what is the idea of your show? or are you secretly clear channel posting here to convince that we need to hear the same songs even more?:hilarious:

Ive always been a dreamer
10-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Well bender, I'm not DonFan so I can't answer for her. But the top rock songs of all time, no matter what you think they are, will always be given more exposure whether they need it or not. It only stands to reason that the best songs ever deserve to get played over and over because they are the best songs ever. I mean we don't want to deprive future generations the opportunity to hear these songs, now do we??? :wink: :laugh:

Prettymaid
10-01-2009, 02:30 PM
I put way too much thought into this kind of stuff and then usually never answer the question because I can't decide! But on a whim, since this is an Eagles message board I will go with my favorite Joe song, Walk Away simply because when I hear the opening licks I always say, "Alright!", and turn up the volume. :hilarious:

ticky
10-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Interesting idea.... so, if they are the top two songs of all time... do they need more exposure? what is the idea of your show? or are you secretly clear channel posting here to convince that we need to hear the same songs even more?:hilarious:

there IS a reason they get so much play...

luvthelighthouse
10-05-2009, 12:19 PM
I read the title of this thread an the first song that popped into my head was Take it Easy. I then read the thread and found I was anything but original. :hilarious: I dunno, but when I hear that song, I'm hooked. I liked that song long before I knew it was the Eagles. It grabs me and pulls me in... so that would probably be my first song.

Troubadour
10-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Initially I wasn't going to choose an Eagles song, but I've been unable to pick just one from elsewhere, so I'll stick with the theme of this forum and go with One Of These Nights. It's such a classic, but still so sexy and the first few seconds are awesome. (I hope my show has an evening slot!)

Outlawman13
03-01-2013, 02:50 PM
I would play Peaceful Easy Feeling. The first one that popped in my head. LOL. Love this song.

tjrrockandrollmaster
03-02-2013, 02:25 AM
"Obscured by Clouds/When You're In" by Pink Floyd. "Doolin-Dalton" from The Eagles would follow.

EaglesKiwi
03-02-2013, 04:18 AM
If I was starting a new, ongoing radio show, I think I'd open with the glorious New Kid In Town.

The theme of my show would probably be something along the lines of great music enduring, and invite people to discuss what makes music great (having already given my own opinions, naturally!). Using that theme, I would follow up with maybe Adele's Set Fire To The Rain, Louis Armstrong's What A Wonderful World and something from the Beatles - Eleanor Rigby perhaps - and CSN's Cathedral.

At some point I'd want to explore "that song I just played was influenced by..." (which would be a huge learning curve for me by the way!).

Tiffanny Twisted
03-02-2013, 09:46 AM
You cant always get what you want the stones followed by Hotel california

zeldabjr
03-02-2013, 02:50 PM
I think I'd play Life In The Fast Lane...

Witchy Woman
03-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Metallica's Welcome Home (Sanitarium)