PDA

View Full Version : Celebration of "Playin' It Cool"!

Ive always been a dreamer
10-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Hard to believe that Tim's Playin' It Cool was released 25 years ago today. I'll make some further comments later, but for now I just want to say ...

Happy 25th Anniversary Playin' It Cool!!!

10-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Okay - I have listed the songs on Playin' It Cool in the order that I like them. Overall, this is a really good album and Tim really rocks some of the tunes. As you will see, I really like that. :wink: The rockers are my favorites - the harder, the better in this case. I love it when Tim does ballads, but he shows me more versatility when he rocks out. So here is my list ...

Gimme the Money – I love Tim’s gruff vocals a.k.a. Tim shows his harder edge and the very smokin’ Walsh guitar is incredible. All around really good song musically, vocally, lyrically, and melodically.

Wrong Number – As I said, I love it when Tim rocks out and here we have one of the rare times he tells someone off – you go Tim! :thumbsup:

Something’s Wrong – I love the vocals, including JD’s background vocals; again, great music and guitar work in this song.

Tell Me What You Dream – This is by far my favorite ballad on the album; - so pretty, The sax in the song is gorgeous and really adds to the angst of Tim's vocals and lyrics.

Playin’ It Cool – I really like the rockin’ guitar solo and bass; a very catchy tune.

Voices – This song has superb vocals, but I’m not crazy about the melody.

Take a Good Look Around You – This is a very sweet pleasant tune - very easy on the ears.

Lonely Girl – Tim vocals are really pretty in this song, but the chorus and music are way too repetitious for my liking so it's not a favorite.

So Much In Love – This song reminds me a lot of Top of the Stairs; again, Tim's vocals are great, but this is just not my favorite style.

sodascouts
10-01-2009, 08:16 PM
This isn't my favorite of Tim's albums, but it's good a lot of good material. In order of how much I like 'em:

Tell Me What You Dream - When we did Tim Survivor a while back, this song totally got stuck in my head. From the outset, the minor key and the prominent bass creates a mood that carries you through the whole song. Now THIS is a vocal where he sounds like he's feeling it alright... very smoky and sexy, yet edged with pain. The subtle instrumentation works very well under the vocal... and the sax solo is hot!

Lonely Girl - This song is interesting and different. You have a quiet, subdued verse that suddenly brightens into the chorus about the "lonely girl." It's incongruous, but strangely, it works. I think it's effective because that unexpected element makes you sit up straight and take notice. Timothy is good at throwing the unexpected at you and making what would be trite into something intriguing. Great song.

So Much in Love - Tim sounds great on this! The song is so cutesy and sugar-sweet that normally, it would make me gag. However, those little snaps, those overlaid harmonies, Tim's sincere vocal - who can resist?

Voices - This is another one where Tim throws a curveball at you with unusual phrasing and melodic shifts. Doing it largely a capella was a great choice as well. Tim has an amazing voice and it is wonderfully showcased here.

Take a Good Look Around You - Another great song with an interesting structure and melody. The keys and tone keeps changing. The chorus is my favorite part. I love the pause before "....'cause I'll be gone" and the jazzy way he says it.

Playin' It Cool - The lyrics are cute and the tune is often catchy. The guitar solo at the end is cool. However, this one is not a favorite of mine. The weird noises before the third chorus - the breathy "Ow! Ow! OWW"s - are really bizarre and it's almost a little TOO cutesy.

Wrong Number - This has a good beat and I like the retro sound as it works up to the tag line, but once it reaches it... kaput. The song's chorus doesn't work, IMHO. The vocal doesn't have energy and anger - it doesn't sound like Tim's feeling it. Therefore, this one is not much of a favorite.

Something's Wrong - This one doesn't do a lot for me. The verses seem stilted and the music doesn't really seem to work with the lyrics; the music doesn't convey angst to me, nor does Tim's howl about halfway through. It's a very generic 80s song. Again, good guitar work in there, but little else to recommend it.

Gimme the Money - What an ignominious way to end this album! Yikes. The lyrics are trite, the melody is unremarkable, and his vocal is overshadowed by a belching guitar. As for the cash register noise - please! The end chant doesn't work either. This is one time when the unexpected flops... because it's unexpectedly bad! Thumbs down!

ETA: I just looked at Dreamer's list - How freaking hilarious that my list is pretty much opposite to hers! Just shows you how very subjective these things truly are!

10-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Oh my, Soda - that is too funny. I guess it is no secret that our musical tastes differ 'somewhat'. Sometimes makes ya wonder, huh! :laugh:

sodascouts
10-01-2009, 11:16 PM
A couple songs to celebrate!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGZx5ZHixkI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGHr9qhTFOo

And of course Tim's first video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-rngzNR4Z0

TimothyBFan
10-02-2009, 07:37 AM
Geez--I don't really know what to say. It's all good for me! :thumbsup: It's my least favorite of his albums but that doesn't really matter to me of course-it still gets played. What's always been funny to me is the fact that his music is so out of the norm for me to listen to yet I can't get enough of it! :hilarious: It's never made much sense to me.

My favorite track on the album has to be Gimme The Money closely followed by So Much In Love, Wrong Number, Playin' It Cool (if only for the cheesy video!) & Tell Me What You Dream. But like I said, it's all good.

Let's face it, when it comes to a Tim album, I'm hard to disappoint. Imagine that! :hilarious:

timfan
10-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Hard to believe it's been 25 years!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/timmyfan/DZ001555.jpg

sodascouts
10-01-2010, 12:15 AM
Just reviving this thread to once again wish Playin' It Cool a happy birthday!

TimothyBFan
10-01-2010, 08:50 AM
I wasn't aware of this but yet I pulled the album out last night and played it, much to Larry's dismay! :hilarious: LOVE Gimme The Money and So Much In Love and of course Playin' It Cool.

http://timothybschmitonline.com/images/piclp.jpg

http://timothybschmitonline.com/images/picinsertb.jpg

Brooke
10-01-2010, 10:07 AM
Hey, Tim is right in style now with his animal print shirt! :lol:

10-01-2010, 10:45 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY 'PLAYIN' IT COOL'!!!

I went over to TBSO to see what info Soda had about the album. Here is the link to the video page where you can read her synopsis and download the video for the song. Enjoy!

http://www.timothybschmitonline.com/solo/moviestv/playinitcool.htm

One other thing - I'm just not used to Tim with that short hair! :lol:

whitcap
10-01-2010, 03:26 PM
http://timothybschmitonline.com/images/picinsertb.jpg

Don't know if I've seen this picture. I did buy this album on iTunes a couple weeks ago though. It's pretty good!

sodascouts
10-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Once again, happy birthday to Tim's first solo album, Playin' It Cool!

10-01-2011, 03:26 PM
HAPPY 27th ANNIVERSARY TO PLAYIN' IT COOL!!!

I figured to celebrate, we could go ahead and list your favorites in order for this album as we have been doing for other albums. I know we may not have a lot of folks who know all the songs, but we can have fun anyway.

Again, this isn’t exactly a game, but more like a poll I guess with no other purpose than to be an exercise of fun. I’m going to list all the songs on the album and ask folks to rank them in the order that they like the songs from favorite to least favorite. I’ll give folks a week to post their list in this thread, and then I’ll calculate the results so you can see how close your list is to the combined scores.

After I calculate the combined scores from everyone’s list, I’ll post the list in the order of which songs had the highest points to the lowest. You will be able to see how close your list comes to the “master” list. If others post a list after a week, I’ll update it with their scores.

I'm not going to repeat all the rules again, but if you would like an overview of how this works, you can go here (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=154787&postcount=7).

So here we go – the songs for the Playin' It Cool album are as follows:

Playin' It Cool
Lonely Girl
So Much in Love
Something's Wrong
Voices
Wrong Number
Take a Good Look Around You
Tell Me What You Dream
Gimme the Money

Now, come on all of you TBS fans, list these songs in the order of your most favorite to least favorite.

10-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Okay - this is easy for me because I can go back to my previous post in this thread and see that I haven't changed my mind any. So here is my list ...

Gimme the Money
Wrong Number
Something’s Wrong
Tell Me What You Dream
Playin’ It Cool
Voices
Take a Good Look Around You
Lonely Girl
So Much In Love

sodascouts
10-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Our lists are very disparate, Dreamer!

1. Tell Me What You Dream
2. Lonely Girl
3. So Much in Love
4. Voices
5. Take a Good Look Around You
6. Playin' It Cool
7. Wrong Number
8. Something's Wrong
9. Gimme the Money

UK TimFan
10-01-2011, 08:21 PM
The first six songs are separated by a percentage of one per cent, as I love them all. It's only the last three which have a difference of a whole per cent. :grin:

1. Tell Me What You Dream
2. Lonely Girl
3. Voices
4. So Much in Love
5. Take a Good Look Around You
6. Playin' It Cool
7. Something's Wrong
8. Wrong Number
9. Gimme the Money

Wow, Soda, I've just seen your list posted a minute before mine.
Spooky to say the least. :)

sodascouts
10-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Dang! Those lists are almost identical!

10-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Our lists are very disparate, Dreamer!

I know - I just went back and read both of our comments about the songs and just shook my head. :grin:
I know that our musical tastes are very different sometimes, but in this case, it's more like polar opposites. :confused:

whitcap
10-03-2011, 01:17 AM
Here's my list:

1. Gimme the Money
2. Wrong Number
3. Tell Me What You Dream
4. Take a Good Look Around You
5. Something’s Wrong
6. So Much in Love
7. Playin’ It Cool
8. Lonely Girl
9. Voices

TimothyBFan
10-03-2011, 08:16 AM
The first 5 are easy but the last 4 could be switched around at any given moment.

1. Give Me The Money
2. So Much In Love
3. Tell Me What You Dream
4. Wrong Number
5. Playin' It Cool
6. Voices
7. Something Wrong
8. Lonely Girl
9. Take A Good Look Around

sodascouts
10-03-2011, 10:31 AM
I listened to this yesterday in honor of its birthday and enjoyed it. These "celebrations" are good for inspiring that! Looking at the lists, it seems that while TMWYD is a clear favorite, I'm a bit bummed that Lonely Girl is so low on many lists. I think that one is great! Ah well, different strokes for different folks.

10-08-2011, 12:52 PM
I agree Soda. I try to listen to each album during the celebration week as well. Although, I didn't get a chance to listen to Playin' It Cool this week, hopefully, I can get to it sometime over this weekend.

So here are the results of our poll for the album. Although, this is only a small sampling, as I've said before I think the outcome wouldn't be drastically different even if we had 100 fans voting. In this case, we were so 'all over the place' so there wasn't a very big range in the point difference between the top and bottom songs. Here's the way the votes went ...

1. Tell Me What You Dream - 38 points
2. Gimme the Money - 29 points
3. Wrong Number - 27 points
4. So Much In Love - 26 points
5. Lonely Girl - 22 points (tie for 5th & 6th place)
6. Voices - 22 points (tie for 5th & 6th place)
7. Playin' It Cool - 21 points
8. Something's Wrong - 20 points (tie for 8th & 9th place)
9. Take a Good Look Around You - 20 points (tie for 8th & 9th place)

So Congratulations to Tell Me What You Dream.

Thanks to those who participated. As I said earlier, if anyone else wants to still post their list, it's not too late. Go right ahead - I'll update the standings if this happens.

sodascouts
10-01-2012, 01:02 AM
Happy birthday to Tim's first album, Playin' It Cool, released on this day in 1984!

zeldabjr
10-01-2012, 02:28 AM
OMG....twenty eight years?...wow...Happy Birthday to you Playin' It Cool!
will definitely be the CD of the week for me!:heart:

Topkat
10-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Oh boy, don't even get me started on this album! I do not own it, & I am only familiar with a few of the songs on it, but this album, was in my opinion, not the Timothy B Schmit I knew.....To me this is some manager or PR guy trying to change him into something else!

As a fan of TBS from Poco, & then the Eagles, I didn't even know this was him! I didn't recognize him & as for the pop sound, for me it just was so off character! I didn't get it at all......:confused:

That said, I will wish the album a Happy Anniversary, but not one of my favorites from Timothy!

sodascouts
10-01-2012, 10:38 AM
His look on this album is pretty shockingly different. He probably cut his hair to look more modern and not like he was stuck in the 70s. It might have worked if he had gone with a more flattering style or not cut it quite as short as he did. He just took it a bit too far!

It is interesting to note that this is his only solo album besides Expando that is available to purchase digitally.

10-01-2012, 11:14 AM
HAPPY 28TH ANNIVERSARY PLAYIN' IT COOL!!!

I like most of this album, but I don't think it's his best for sure. It's kind of fun to go back through this thread and reminisce. As far as his look and sound, I guess it was just an attempt to reinvent himself after the Eagles breakup - something that all artists go through, I guess. I actually liked his hair after he started letting it grow out. This is between the short hair and the mullet that he got around '86.

http://www.timothybschmitonline.com/images/pictoto2.jpg

Topkat
10-01-2012, 11:28 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/timmyfan/DZ001555.jpg

WHO IS THIS GUY??:fear::fear:

zeldabjr
10-01-2012, 01:42 PM
If I didn't already know who the guy in the tux is...I'd never be able to tell you...thank God our sweet Timothy came back to us!

10-01-2013, 01:43 PM
Well once again, it's time to say ...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO PLAYIN' IT COOL!!!

This was Tim's first solo album and here is his first very first video for the title track ...

shunlvswx
10-01-2013, 02:05 PM
Interesting video.

I thought he had his hair short, but he just had his hair in a ponytail. But it looks short with the ponytail.

MaryCalifornia
10-01-2013, 03:05 PM
When I think of Tim in the 80's I think about two things from the documentary - 1) when Don Henley talks about the MTV culture and what the guys had to do to stay relevant (act, dance) and 2) when Tim talks about hustling to make ends meet. The type of music that Poco and the Eagles played was absolutely DEAD during the 80s. It was all Michael Jackson and Cyndi Lauper and Talking Heads, etc...The only long hair was on the bands Tim mentioned - Poison, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, etc...and it was '80s rocker permed poofy hair, not hippy hair. I can see why he had to change his look and image to try to keep some money coming in - I think having a song on the Fast Times soundtrack helped to lead into that look.

I'll just say I'm so glad the Eagles reunited, his hair grew out, and he has been able to hold his own against those 3 (previously 4) strong personalities in the band. I like to think he is the glue that holds them together - a peaceful, steady, musically talented presence whose voice they cannot lose for their harmonies. Anyone can be replaced, but I think those other 3 need his presence. I wonder about the dynamic between him and Don and Glenn.

10-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Interesting video.

I thought he had his hair, but he just had his hair in a ponytail. But it looks short with the ponytail.

Yeah shun - He had the pony tail in the video, but by the time of the photoshoot for the album, he had cut it off entirely.

I wonder about the dynamic between him and Don and Glenn.

Of course, I really don't know about this. However, I can say that in one of our conversations with Glenn and his daughter, Taylor, Tim's name came up and they both spoke very fondly of him - basically saying that he was a real sweetheart.

shunlvswx
10-01-2013, 04:10 PM
OOps I forgot to had "short" in my paragraph.

Oh ok. I didn't know he cut his hair after this video. I remembered seeing a picture of him in the documentary with short hair(which looks like the length in the video, but in a ponytail).

He would had taken many many many years to get his hair back to his current length for HFO. I wonder when he started to grow it back long.

shunlvswx
10-01-2013, 04:12 PM
He seems like a sweetheart. He seems like the shy Eagle behind Don.

UK TimFan
10-01-2013, 09:51 PM
OOps I forgot to had "short" in my paragraph.

Oh ok. I didn't know he cut his hair after this video. I remembered seeing a picture of him in the documentary with short hair(which looks like the length in the video, but in a ponytail).

He would had taken many many many years to get his hair back to his current length for HFO. I wonder when he started to grow it back long.
Probably fairly soon after he'd had it cut. :smile:
'Playing it cool' was released in 1984, and Tim's next album 'Timothy B' was released in 1987. One of the tracks was 'Boy's night out' and his hair was slightly longer than shoulder-length by then.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCUilkA38Xo

sodascouts
10-02-2013, 12:59 AM
Thank goodness! Timothy is one of the few men who can pull off that long hair at any age.

cricrichan
10-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Thank goodness! Timothy is one of the few men who can pull off that long hair at any age.

I agree^^

Thanks for posting those videos ;)

TimothyBFan
10-11-2013, 08:36 AM
Of course, I really don't know about this. However, I can say that in one of our conversations with Glenn and his daughter, Taylor, Tim's name came up and they both spoke very fondly of him - basically saying that he was a real sweetheart.

Not a bit surprising-- I just can't imagine anyone who could say something negative about him. He just seems like such an honest to goodness nice guy, humble and very likeable.

sad-cafe
10-11-2013, 10:14 AM
he seems so humble and grateful that the world is what it is.

He wasn't pretentious or anything, just came on stage, did his best and wowed the crowd!

secret squirrel
10-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Yeah shun - He had the pony tail in the video, but by the time of the photoshoot for the album, he had cut it off entirely.

I can believe it. TBS always comes across as humble and grounded although I think he knows his own worth. He never needs to push it.

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/some-called-it-country-some-called-it.html

SallyGee
10-11-2013, 06:58 PM
His humility was even more obvious at his solo show. He seemed genuinely grateful to his audience. He seemed a bit shy which is just so adorable!

secret squirrel
10-13-2013, 11:07 AM
His humility was even more obvious at his solo show. He seemed genuinely grateful to his audience. He seemed a bit shy which is just so adorable!

Wish I could have got to see him on a solo tour! I love his interaction with audience and band.

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013...called-it.html (http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/some-called-it-country-some-called-it.html)

UndertheWire
12-11-2014, 07:32 PM
Producer Josh Leo describes how he got the job: http://www.traxfax4songwriters.com/Josh%20Leo%20Interview%20MASTER2%20%206192014%2060 52014.pdf

It shows that Glenn still had contact with Timothy in 1984.

MaryCalifornia
12-11-2014, 11:02 PM
Great find, UTW! So cool to hear about all of those guys playing on this album. I'm going to go find the liner notes somewhere...

Yeah, I've been under the impression that Timothy stayed in touch with all of the Eagles during the 14 years, he was hustling!!

Funk 50
12-16-2014, 11:18 AM
Tim has said that his short, largely vocal track, Voices was a Long Run reject. He didn't say if the Eagles had ever sung it but on the Playin' It Cool version he provides all the harmonies, and the sparse acoustic guitar himself.

I suppose the next best bet as a Long Run Leftover would be Something's Wrong as Tim and Don Henley provide bass and drums as well as vocal harmonies and Joe Walsh plays slide guitar on it.

Josh Leo, Steve Lukather and keyboard player Vince Melamed are the non Eagles on it

It's a rocky tune, I suppose at the time, Tim was still trying to find a new musical identity post Poco.

sodascouts
12-16-2014, 02:23 PM
Agreed, Funk 50. It's fun to speculate!

12-16-2014, 10:19 PM
I, for one, don't think Voices would have been a good fit on an Eagles album. I not a huge fan of the song's melody, but I'm glad Tim saved it for a solo effort because it showcases his great voice.

Funk 50
12-17-2014, 06:31 PM
I wonder what Tim thought the first time he heard No More Walks In The Wood, 30ish years after having Voices rejected as an Eagles song.

sodascouts
12-23-2014, 02:54 PM
I wonder what Tim thought the first time he heard No More Walks In The Wood, 30ish years after having Voices rejected as an Eagles song.

Probably that things change after 30 years.

NOLA
10-01-2015, 08:48 AM
Happy 31st anniversary to Playin' It Cool! :birthday:

The cover image of short-haired Timothy is something that I will never be quite accustomed to in my Eagles' fandom. Guess I'm so used to seeing his beautiful, and classic, long hair! :heart:

DJ
10-01-2015, 03:02 PM
HAPPY 31 YEARS "PLAYIN IT COOL" Wow that's a long time ago seems like yesterday.

LuvTim
10-01-2015, 04:50 PM
Had to drive across half the country again this week. Had all of TBS's music on as I made the trip, including "Playing It Cool." :heart: So happy to join in on the chorus: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!:heart:
31 YEARS OF COOL!!!!

10-03-2015, 05:19 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY PLAYIN' IT COOL!!!

Great title for a guy who's been play playin' it cool for most all of his life! :rockon:

TimFan222
10-04-2015, 08:03 PM

I totally agree when I saw him in Clearwater Fl he was the last one on stage. During the show he walked to the front of the stage seeming to be in another world. Then he looked up and seemed to remember where he was and said "Oh sorry about that, senior moment". He was so cute!!!

LuvTim
10-04-2015, 08:11 PM
I totally agree when I saw him in Clearwater Fl he was the last one on stage. During the show he walked to the front of the stage seeming to be in another world. Then he looked up and seemed to remember where he was and said "Oh sorry about that, senior moment". He was so cute!!!

He's just so adorable.:heart::heart:

10-01-2016, 04:12 PM
Once again - it's time to say ...

Timothy's very first solo album. I still can't get used to his hair after all these years. He looks about 16 years old here ... the good news is he still doesn't look his age.

http://www.timothybschmitonline.com/images/playingitcool.jpg

rcknalwys
10-01-2016, 04:32 PM
Happy birthday Playin It Cool! I love this album. So many good ones on it. Tell Me What You Dream is a favorite as is Wrong Number.

10-01-2018, 11:05 AM
Time for another anniversary wish for Playin' It Cool. My top four favorites on the album are Gimme the Money, Wrong Number, Something's Wrong, and Tell Me What You Dream.

shunlvswx
10-01-2018, 11:15 AM
Happy 34th Birthday to Playin' It Cool.

sodascouts
10-02-2018, 12:19 AM
Happy birthday, Playin' It Cool!

My faves are Tell Me What You Dream, Lonely Girl, So Much in Love, Voices, and Take a Good Look Around You.

LuvTim
10-02-2018, 08:09 PM
Love PIC! 💖