PDA

View Full Version : Letting People Up to the Stage

sodascouts
10-06-2009, 11:14 AM
We know that the Eagles as a rule don't let people up to the stage, but I believe they did in some shows overseas.

The guys solo may or may not let folks up to the stage, depending on various factors which are a bit unclear. I'm unsure how much control they have over that.

Do you think it's a good idea or bad idea to let people up to the stage?

Freypower
10-06-2009, 05:55 PM
I voted for 'the first couple of rows' because that is what I'm used to in Australia. It doesn't bother me that much.

EagleLady
10-06-2009, 06:13 PM
I voted for Yes all the way around. It might be fun

sodascouts
10-06-2009, 07:18 PM
At Fleetwood Mac concerts, the usually let up the first four rows... and really amps the energy up! No matter what was happening behind us, the people at the stage were getting into it. I vote yes!

Perhaps limiting it to a few rows is best in a large arena, but in a smaller venue where it won't be crazy at the stage, I say let anyone on the floor come up.

Ive always been a dreamer
10-06-2009, 10:48 PM
I had to vote 'Yes, but only the first couple rows (maybe the first few)' . I guess that option is the closest to how I feel even though I definitely do not think it is fair to only let up the first couple of rows. I think if they are going to allow it, they should at least let the first 5 -10 rows go up.

luvthelighthouse
10-06-2009, 11:38 PM
If they let any and everyone up to the stage, it would horrible! People would seriouly be getting hurt. The pushing and shoving to get a spot ... only to obstruct those who paid handsomely to sit in the first few rows.

I would probably be okay w/the first few rows... but to keep the peace, I'd like everyone to stay in their own seats.

TimothyBFan
10-07-2009, 06:54 AM
Believe it or not, but I voted for no also. Even tho I'm all about standing and having a good time at a concert, there just seems to be something wrong about fans at the stage. I guess if the stage is high enough so that it doesn't block others view it would be ok for the first few row. I would be totally ticked off if I had a 4th row ticket and still couldn't see the band even while standing.

10-07-2009, 11:23 AM
TBF - from my experiences, it is usually always the case that the stage is high enough so that even with a fairly large number of people there, it doesn't block the view of those sitting in the front rows. The only time I see it as a problem is if there are so many people let up that they begin to 'crush' the people sitting in the front row. I believe you have to give them their space, and that is why I didn't vote for option 1 in the poll. I mentioned over in the Reminiscing thread about getting let up to the front of the stage at the Sacramento show. There was plenty of space and I was very careful to ensure that we were in no way interfering with the people in the front row. If we had been, I would not have stayed their out of respect for them.

Brooke
10-07-2009, 02:05 PM
This one is pretty hard for me. I voted for the first few rows.

I think it's fine as long as they don't hinder anyone's view. But I also don't think it's fair when you got first or second row seats and people can get in front of you. There's a contradiction! I guess as long as first row people can still see, it's ok.

I remember at the Keith Urban concert I went to I had a 3rd row seat and there were so many people packed in front of first row, those people couldn't even sit in their seats! It was a madhouse! I was also close to the runway down the middle and people would actually try to push by you to get to it! From what I hear, Keith likes this and his concerts are always like that, but people need to at least be respectful.

At a John Fogerty concert we went to we had first row center tickets and before the show started security told us that they would be letting people come up to the stage after the first couple songs, so if we wanted to be up front, we would have to stand too. We stood! But, the stage was high and we didn't block anyone's view.

Fan_For_Life
10-07-2009, 02:57 PM
I voted yes.

MikeA
10-07-2009, 03:11 PM
LOL....what a can of worms this poll could open <LOL>. Personally, I think people should be allowed up on stage with them...maybe even jam with them!

Not really. Joking understood, I hope OBVIOUSLY.

If there is plenty of room between the front row and the stage and if it's high enough, I don't have a problem at all in security letting a few people at a time get up to the stage but really, they shouldn't stay there that long before moving out and letting another batch get up there. I know that it can interfere with the view of those in the front rows. Don't think the front row folks should be allowed up there to the exclusion of everyone else though....they have ringside seats throughout the show.

I gave it a checkmark for encore. Everything is pretty much a madhouse then anyway...everyone on their feet. Let 'em cut loose.

luvthelighthouse
10-07-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm short, so someone who is only 5'4" would block my view. If I paid for front row, I better BE front row... not behind a bunch of people crowding the stage. Somehow, I usually end up behind the guy who is 6'3".

MikeA
10-07-2009, 03:45 PM
I'm short, so someone who is only 5'4" would block my view. If I paid for front row, I better BE front row... not behind a bunch of people crowding the stage. Somehow, I usually end up behind the guy who is 6'3".

I understand! I helped "balance" a lady who had to stand on her chair and Verna and I were in the THIRD row!

But I also understand the frustrations of folks in the nosebleed seats who either couldn't afford front row tickets or who had the money but couldn't get them.

Like I said, this "poll" is opening a can of worms because there are so many valid arguments from both extremes of the issue.....and probably those in the middle too <LOL>

Molly
10-07-2009, 05:55 PM
The problem with being right up front is every show you attend after that, no matter how "good" your seats may be will seem sucky by comparison.

I now suffer from this phenomenon.

bernie's bender
10-07-2009, 06:29 PM
I think if you wanna be on stage... go join a band.

earn it.

EagleLady
10-07-2009, 06:55 PM
I think if you wanna be on stage... go join a band.

earn it.

Nothing wrong with fans joining in with the band. Reminds me of the song Join Together by The Who

bernie's bender
10-07-2009, 09:38 PM
in the old days it was against union rules to let folks up.

I've had more than a few encounters with people wanting to get up and 'sing' with the band or want to pick up instruments and 'play'....

it may be cool for some but it is usually a giant hassle with folks who are inebriated.... I've known several guys who have had instruments broken by 'fans' who came up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpTGuCn0Mr8

This has happened to a guy in our band a couple of times since we've been together.... Bands like the Eagles have great security, but what happens when it gets out of hand?

sodascouts
10-07-2009, 10:00 PM
I think there might be a bit of confusion here. I meant go up to the stage as in stand in the area in between the stage and the front row, at the feet of the performers - not get ON the stage.

Like what you see here:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/Pittsburgh2009-04.jpg

bernie's bender
10-07-2009, 10:15 PM
I think there might be a bit of confusion here. I meant go up to the stage as in stand in the area in between the stage and the front row, at the feet of the performers - not get ON the stage.

Like what you see here:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/Pittsburgh2009-04.jpg

Ahhh, sorry, I'm a bonehead! When I read this thread, I thought "Henley lets people on stage!????"

I kinda hate reserved seating for shows. I wish it was all kinda Fillmore style or like the old swing auditorium. The doors open, you walk in and you stand or sit as you choose... no seats though.

If it is a club, it doesn't matter... if it is a stadium, it kinda doesn't matter either.... but, the 'fancy' theater where everyone just sits and listens like it is chamber music or something... I like rock'n'roll where folks get up and boogie and dance and sway....

but, I can respect that folks have other opinions... I can remember when concert tickets were affordable for everyone and there weren't the super expensive seats in the orchestra.... I guess if I spent a couple hundred bucks to sit close... I wouldn't be thrilled about 'squatters'.... but, I miss the lack of a 'class struggle' at a concert.... it is too bad that there are the haves and have nots in rock'n'roll..... oh well.. times they have a changed.:smokin:

Prettymaid
10-08-2009, 10:09 AM
I can't believe I just voted no. But times have changed. I too remember going to concerts that had no floor seating. You went down there and stood through the whole thing. It was great!

But to pay half a mortgage payment to see the Eagles up close - I don't want anyone in front of me if I can help it!

10-08-2009, 10:26 AM
It is amazing how 'all over the place' we are with our opinions on this. We have discussed this issue several times on the board before. I think the poll results here are indicative of just how controversial this topic is. There are really good, valid arguments on either side of the issue, and, clearly, no easy answer to the problem. I guess that's why it's still a problem! :wink:

sodascouts
10-08-2009, 11:24 AM
A lot of times, especially at a large venue, people don't block anyone because they're right up against the stage. The performer is elevated. It's not as if their butts are in the faces of the front row, although I suppose if the band allowed it without qualification that's possible. Since there's usually plenty of room up there, it would have to be a real stampede to get that crowded, and Eagles fans usually aren't the stampeding kind!

Limiting it to the first few rows as Fleetwood Mac does makes that problem go away, so that option may be more palatable to a lot of folks.

It's just that there's nothing like the energy you get at the stage, right at their feet - and the performers feed off your enthusiasm right there in front of them. It intensifies the concert experience for everyone.

MikeA
10-08-2009, 11:54 AM
A lot of times, especially at a large venue, people don't block anyone because they're right up against the stage. The performer is elevated. It's not as if their butts are in the faces of the front row, although I suppose if the band allowed it without qualification that's possible. Since there's usually plenty of room up there, it would have to be a real stampede to get that crowded, and Eagles fans usually aren't the stampeding kind!

Limiting it to the first few rows as Fleetwood Mac does makes that problem go away, so that option may be more palatable to a lot of folks.

It's just that there's nothing like the energy you get at the stage, right at their feet - and the performers feed off your enthusiasm right there in front of them. It intensifies the concert experience for everyone.

Gotta be careful what you suggest....the next thing we know, Azoff will hike up a new category of tickets.....$5,000 per square foot of standing room in front of the stage!

Fan_For_Life
10-08-2009, 12:11 PM

My sentiments exactly.

If they were to allow people up to the stage it may do well to have the floor general admission without seating or sell tickets at a certain price to have the priviledge to be right up to the stage.

sodascouts
10-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Gotta be careful what you suggest....the next thing we know, Azoff will hike up a new category of tickets.....$5,000 per square foot of standing room in front of the stage!

I think U2 does something like that right now, kind of like what FFL described. When I tried to buy tickets for U2's Chicago show, I saw a "general admission" standing-room-only section right at the stage, in front of the seats. Of course, they have a non-traditional stage set-up - the stage has a portion that extends out into the audience.

Peekaboo
10-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Everyone here has some really interesting thoughts on this. I went back and forth about what my vote would be. I tried to look at it from all perspectives. My first Eagles concert experience was only just last year so I don't know how this topic was handled during past concerts but I would assume that the guys (since HFO) prefer to have the audience remaining in their seats. From my experience, each time i saw the guys in concert, the audience seemed to be very respectful and remained in their seats (most stood in front of their seats) after the guys finished the encore and went to each end of the stage to wave goodbye to the audience. I think that seemed to go over well for both the Eagles and the audience. The only time I've seen people go up to the stage was when I saw the guys in Columbia this past March. I must admit that I was one of those that went up to the stage but it was after the encore and the guys bowed and I didn't stand in front of those in the front row. My seat was on the second row and I was at the very end so I was able to step into the aisl and walk up to the stage to try to get some roses to the guys. Security only allowed me to get so close to the stage but it was very exciting to see the guys that close. There were a few people that gathered behind me but there was no pushing or shoving. Everybody went their seperate ways as soon as the house lights came up. That didn't seem to be too bad to allow people up to the stage after the encore. The Eagles usually have security well informed on what they want and don't want during their concerts and their wishes seem to always be carried out the way they want it.

As far as a solo show by one of the guys I can only give my experience from seeing Don Henley solo. I don't know if Don really wants the audience to come up to the stage but it has happened. This past May when Lou and I saw him, people went up to the stage during the encore. At the Downstream concert, we made our way up to the stage after seeing others go up there. Don didn't seem to be bothered by this so much. It was at an outdoor event and there was plenty of room up for people to gather up front. We weren't blocking the view of those in the first few rows. We were standing in the aisle but still up to the stage. At the WinStar concert the very next night is a different story. Their seemed to be more of a hyped up crowd there. As soon as Don started with Hotel California near the end of the concert, people started to storm up to the front of the stage. There was a good 10 foot space between the stage and the front row and it filled up quickly. It didn't look like Don was very pleased with this and I noticed that he stayed back by the drums for sometime before he had to get back to the mic. The night before he said a few things to end the concert but during the second show he seemed to leave much quicker after he finished with Desperado. He even cut out I Will Not Go Quietly the second night.

I like the idea of being able to go up to the stage during an Eagles concert but my vote was No. The guys seem to be okay with people staying in their seats and not going up to the front of the stage and that's okay with me. I did mention that I have made my way to the stage in the past but I did so by not pushing and shoving and I stayed in the aisle area near the stage and didn't block anybody's view that was in the first few rows.

Britt
10-08-2009, 09:02 PM

I totally hear you!! I'm 4' 11 1/2 and it doesn't take much to block my view either. LOL

10-08-2009, 09:53 PM
OMG Britt - you are my new best friend because we are the same height! I didn't think there was anybody around as short as me! :laugh: