PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles, CA 10-14-09

carol7lynn
10-15-2009, 04:17 AM
Okay Nancy open your eyes and the rest of you night owls. Here is the down-low.:thumbsup:

Guest Musicians: Kenny Wayne Shepard and Van Dyke Parks
Band:
Drums/Percussion: Herman M somethin' (can't read my notes)
Keyboards/Bass Guitar: Chris Farmer (plays with Beach Boys)
Bobby Carolos: Guitar, Bass, Techie
Lead/Rhythm Guitar and Partner in Crime: Hank Lenderman
Back-up Singers: 3 Black women. Didn't recognize any of them but they are on the new CD.

Set List: (16 songs) Concert Length: 90 minutes

1. Feed The Fire
2. Friday Night
3. Melancholy
4. One More Mile
5. I Can't Tell You Why
6. White Boy From Sacramento
7. Keep On Tryin'
8. I Don't Mind
9. What Am I Gonna Do (Richie Furay song)
10. Parachute
11. Secular Praise
12. Ella Jean (Played harmonica & Acoustical Guitar ala Dylan)
13. Downtime
14. Compassion
15. A Good Day
Encore
16. I Don't Want To Hear Anymore
17. Love Will Keep Us Alive

No cameras as expected. No pix.

But here is the BIG NEWS-After the show he and the band plus Kenny Wayne and his daughter Jeddrah, came out to the lobby and mixed and mingled for about 10 minutes. He signed autographs and gave everyone a few seconds of one-on-one time. There were mini-posters of the cover of Expando lying around so I had him sign one but only after gushing all over him like a complete IDIOT during my 60 seconds of face-time! Believe it or not a lot of people left right after the show and missed a golden op. This was an impromptu M&G so I have no idea if he'll do it at all his shows.

A great show. Very sixities folk rock show with a lot of ancedotal stories about the songs. He missed a few notes and stumbled over the lyrics of one song but otherwise a stellar performance. His hair was very curly and he had on the brown silk shirt with a the brown vest and work boots.

He played 6 string acoustical guitars (mostly Martins) on the majority of the songs but he did pick up the bass for the classics. He did the final song with just Hank Lenderman accompanying him on an acoustical six string. Everyone left the stage but the two of them for that number. Quite moving.

Great show for $20 I must say. The place was packed and the seats were great. I got front row center of course but every seat was a good one. Most of the people were industry people but a lot of fans were there too and they ranged in age from the early twenties to my age; the sixty-somethings.

And as expected, we were given a lecture before the show about talking and cameras. The only sour note was the drunk ex-Airforce woman behind me that Timmy finally told to shut up-in a round about way. He essentially told her she "needed too much attention" during a break between songs. Her friend almost hit her and told her off. The friend tried before Timmy cracked to shut her up but the Beeach wouldn't listen. Timmy was a bit pissed. Never saw him get pissed before. She calmed down after that but the first three or four songs she was a total whack-job.

Lastly, right across the street was a strip club! Nice!

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGalOnTheProwl:nahnah::nahnah:

TimothyBFan
10-15-2009, 07:12 AM
OMFrickin'G----Kenny Wayne Shepherd also---I will frickin' DIE if he shows up also in Chicago!!!!

Love the setlist!!! Sounds great! Hopefully in Chicago we will be allowed cameras for some pics.

I've got to read your review over again CL to get it all---you had me jumping up and down- LITERALLY- with the KWS in the second line!! I can't believe he'd be going out with Tim --hopefully for all the shows!!

ETA at 8:35---HELLO--anyone else out there as excited as I am after reading CL's review? I mean, I am practically jumping out of my skin this morning!!! :spin: Talk to me people! I need someone to share their enthusiasm with me! :yay:

Prettymaid
10-15-2009, 08:59 AM
Looks like Kenny is going to be on the Legendary Rhythm & Blues Cruise Oct. 17, 21 and 24, so he might not be in Chicago.

I'm so excited about this show! Thanks CL for the set list and all of the other juicy details. I can't wait to hear Timothy talking about these new songs and playing them for us!

I bet he will do a short meet & greet in Chicago. Looks like he's not offering Expando at the shows - at least not until the 20th. Dang!

TimothyBFan
10-15-2009, 09:12 AM
Don't burst my bubble PM! ;-) He has time after the show in San Diego on the 17th to fly to Chicago and doesn't have to be back out to San Diego till the 21st. He will be in Chicago and I am bringing KWS gear to have signed. :nod:

Who is going to volunteer to hold me upright if I indeed get a chance to meet Timothy? This job will also entail speaking for me also because I'm sure all that will come out of my mouth will be mumbling and drool. Now the big decision-what to bring to have him sign.

sodascouts
10-15-2009, 09:23 AM
Thank you so much for the review, CL! This is so exciting!! I so hope he does the M&G for other shows, too! I'm sure surprised there were no copies of Expando for sale but maybe there's some kind of contractual obligation to wait, who knows? Looks like he plays every song on the album except "I Don't Mind," so we'll get a preview even without an actual CD!

I cannot WAIT to hear these songs and that version of LWKUA sounds wonderful.

Again, thank you so much for all the details CL!

Prettymaid
10-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Who is going to volunteer to hold me upright if I indeed get a chance to meet Timothy? This job will also entail speaking for me also because I'm sure all that will come out of my mouth will be mumbling and drool.

:fingerwag: No way, Missy! You are going to have it together enough to talk to the man! Start planning now what you generally want to say. It will still sound sincere when you meet him! I'll hold you up but you're going to speak! :lol:

sodascouts
10-15-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm bringing my copy of the "Boys Night Out" single I got a while back for him to sign. This is so cool!!!

And yes Willie, you've gotta say SOMETHING!

ETA: Too bad about cameras. I want photos! And if anyone gets all chatty around me, well, they better watch out or they might get hurt!!

GlennLover
10-15-2009, 09:38 AM
I just knew that he would do a M&G! I'm so excited for you girls!!!!!! :yay:

Prettymaid
10-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Would it be out of line for me to print the new picture of him out on glossy photo paper and have him sign that? :shrug: :blush:

GlennLover
10-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Would it be out of line for me to print the new picture of him out on glossy photo paper and have him sign that? :shrug: :blush:

I'm sure that he would be honoured to sign it.

luvthelighthouse
10-15-2009, 10:01 AM
OH CL, thank you thank you thank you so much for updating us! Sounds like you had a great time! It's all good and I can't wait. I will say though, I kinda wished he had added Do Something to his set list. However, beggers can't be choosers, so I'll take what I can get.

Poor Timothy being put in a situation to tell some woman to settle down. If I were the woman I would have been so embarrased!!! I'm sure it makes the performer uncomfortable to have to repremand fans.

This makes it all the more real and so so exciting. I'm happy to hear the place was packed!!!

Oh, more more thing... was Jeddrah just as sweet as her daddy and was she just as gorgeous in person as she looks in pics?

carol7lynn
10-15-2009, 12:20 PM
OOOPS!

Jusy read through a few of your responses and realized I forgot a song. He did do "I Don't Mind." In my own defense it was 1:30 a.m. when I got done posting.

Forgive me Ladies.

And why is going to San Diego on the 17th? Did I miss something? He said he was going to Nashville today.

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGal

sodascouts
10-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Missing only one song is pretty darn good, considering it was a 90-minute show and you were working with only your memory.

It's Kenny who's going to San Diego, not Tim. Willie just hopes Kenny will be able to make it to Chicago since she's a big fan!

carol7lynn
10-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Oh, more more thing... was Jeddrah just as sweet as her daddy and was she just as gorgeous in person as she looks in pics?

Yes and Yes. She is very fine boned and has beautiful long blonde hair and is very warm and friendly just like her daddy. She had a couple of gfs with her. I had hoped that she might be one of his guests but that never happened. I've never heard her sing and that would have been nice to hear her do one with her father. If she looks anything like her mother, I can see why Timmy married Noreen back in the day. BTW what ever happened to her anyway?

Kenny Wayne is a doll. I think his father came out after the show with him as there was this big blonde guy with him who had the same adorable baby face only 30 years older. The first time I saw Kenny Wayne he opened for Dylan back in Tucson in 1996 or 1997. He had just started out and he looked like one of the Nelson twins with his long blonde hair. He was just a kid but you could tell he'd make it. Funny thing was, Dylan was also in town last night for the first of three shows at the Palladium. Crash! or six degrees of seperation. Which ever.

Well it's back to my coffee. Glad everyone is so stoked.

Have a super time in Nashville, Chicago and New York and yes I hope you all can take the pix I wanted to and also get a M&G.

Stay Tuned!

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGal:nahnah:

TimothyBFan
10-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Sorry to confuse you CL. Thanks again for all the inside scoop about last nights show. Loving the info!

Brooke
10-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Great review CL! Thanks for all the details!

I'm soooooo wishing I could go to Chicago. :-(

carol7lynn
10-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Great review CL! Thanks for all the details!

I'm soooooo wishing I could go to Chicago. :-(

Me too Brooke. We're just going to have to live through Nancy for that one. Let's hope that he does a full on tour.

His new web-site is now confirming e-mail subscripts so hopefully he's going to mount an all out independent solo career now and the rest of the country can see him too.

Personally, he reminds me of Lindsey Buckingham and not so much Ron Woods as was advanced in a recent interview with TimmieB. But that's another story for another day. My basic point is: Lindsey, as a singer/songwriter, has always been over-shadowed by Stevie (Whom I adore!) much like Timmy is by Don & Glenn (who I also adore.) And it took Lindsey twenty odd years to get the recognition he so deserved and he too had to do it without a lot of outside capital. And, look at him now. So when did this turn into an I Love Lindsey thread? My bad!:nahnah:

Okay, so it's Kenny Wayne. Got ya.

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGal:partytime:

timfan
10-15-2009, 02:17 PM
CL

Thank you SOOO much for sharing your night with us!

I am already in Chicago so i had to come to an internet cafe just to see how last night went it sounds like it was amazing Now I really can't wait til SUNDAY!!!

sodascouts
10-15-2009, 03:07 PM
BTW, I'm not familiar with the Poco song "What Am I Gonna Do" - it's on 1971's From the Inside, which I don't own. I'm surprised he's not doing one more of his own Poco songs alongside the tried-and-true Keep on Tryin'.

cynd1231
10-15-2009, 03:09 PM
CL, sounds like it was a fabulous show!!!! I suspect if any audience is going to get to see Ben play with his Dad it will be the guys in NYC since Boston is so close. Let's just hope that the success of the first four shows is a precursor of more to come!!!

luvthelighthouse
10-15-2009, 04:05 PM
BTW, I'm not familiar with the Poco song "What Am I Gonna Do" - it's on 1971's From the Inside, which I don't own. I'm surprised he's not doing one more of his own Poco songs alongside the tried-and-true Keep on Tryin'.

Try this link to hear the song: http://www.last.fm/music/Poco/_/What+Am+I+Gonna+Do?autostart

He sounds good singing back up, so I'm sure his version will be awesome!

If he played Restrain, I wouldn't have been able to "restrain" myself!

sodascouts
10-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the link. It doesn't really strike me right now but I'm sure I'll like Tim's version.

Freypower
10-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Thanks so much for the great review, CL. I'm so glad you got to meet Tim. This is something his devoted fans have waited for for so long, and deserve.

(As a Dylan freak I like the 'acoustic guitar with harmonica' thought).

carol7lynn
10-15-2009, 05:48 PM

Nancy,

Timmy said he was orginally supposed to sing the song but true life intervened and the lyrics became in the end a much truer reflection of Richie's life at the time so he "gave the song back to Richie and now I'm taking it back."

FYI: Richie is playing a small club, The Canyon, north of L.A. tonight. I half hoped he'd show up last night but he didn't. They all seemed to enjoy their performance at StageCoach this year as much as we fans did. Perhaps their reunion sparked a desire to do the song afterall-thirty eight years later. Never know. Just wondering.

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGal:partytime:

Koala
10-16-2009, 01:48 AM
IŽam glad you had a wonderful time! Thanks for the great review!
The setlist sounds good for me!
Too bad that one could not make pictures!
WOW, a short meet & greet with Tim, how exciting
When I read the review I was really jealous, because I can not see show from him!
However, I am happy with all of you who have the chance to see a Show!

conniek
10-16-2009, 06:31 AM
Reading about the show in LA has really pumped me up even more for the show in Chicago.

And I want to say God bless my husband, who took me to dinner last night and let me ramble on about all the interesting stuff I've read, listened to and heard about Timothy in the past week or so. And I have to say, he was genuinely interested, especially in the stuff from his latest interview.

I certainly do know how to pick 'em.

TimothyBFan
10-16-2009, 07:33 AM
Oh right Connie!---Another understanding husband!! Mine also is very understanding of this obsession-he's put up with it for over 22 years! I went on and on myself last night after talking to Nancy to make some final plans. The only thing he said is "call me if you make it backstage". :lol:

carol7lynn
10-16-2009, 09:16 AM
Finally some pixs of the Coronet show. These are rehearsal photos from Chris Farmer's MySpace. Looks like this is the band for the min-tour.

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=452046844&blogId=514122979

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGalontheProwl:bye:

Brooke
10-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Oh right Connie!---Another understanding husband!! Mine also is very understanding of this obsession-he's put up with it for over 22 years! I went on and on myself last night after talking to Nancy to make some final plans. The only thing he said is "call me if you make it backstage". :lol:

:lol: TBF, you might give him a call if you decide to leave with Tim and never go home, too! :wink:

tbs fanatic
10-16-2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the fantastic review. OMG - you got to meet Tim. :thud:

TimothyBFan
10-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Here's some nice words about the show the other night.

http://www.livedaily.com/news/timothy-b-schmit-tickets-and-tour-dates-timothy-b-schmit-previews-expando-in-la-20410.html

Freypower
10-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Nice.

Is that a new photo?!

Ive always been a dreamer
10-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Well - I'm a little late here, but thanks for the info and review CL. It sounds like the show was great.

And TBF - thanks for finding that write-up. And that is another great picture of Timothy.

sodascouts
10-17-2009, 10:18 AM
FP, that's not a new photo. He's been sending it out to folks who wrote him, I think.