PDA

View Full Version : Balloon Boy

tbs fanatic
10-19-2009, 03:27 PM
What do you think about the crazy - boy in the runaway balloon - story that has been on the news lately? Is that family nuts? I have to say I didn't watch tv that day so missed the whole thing but it sounds like it was quite a drama. Now the cops are saying it was a hoax - some people (in this case the whole family) just have a few too many screws loose if you ask me - Ha!

cynd1231
10-19-2009, 03:47 PM
I was watching it live on CNN the day it happened and have to say I got really ticked off with the newscasters! Living in Albuquerque and ballooning being one of my hobbies, the first thing that I noted was that they didn't have a clue what kind of balloon they were watching and kept referring to it as "hot air". Okay, cut the guy some slack. BUT when he started talking to Craig Kennedy out of SuperiAir here in ABQ and Craig carefully explained the difference between a hot air balloon and a gas balloon and he STILL continued to call it a hot air balloon, I started screaming at the television! (If I didn't live here and participate in the sport I wouldn't know the difference at first either, BUT IF AN EXPERT EXPLAINED TO BE ME I WOULDN'T IMMEDIATELY TURN AROUND AND MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE!)

When the 'balloon' finally came down to the ground and I saw the actual size I KNEW there was no way it could lift, let alone carry, 60 pounds of anything so "publicity stunt' was my first thought. I'm not surprised at the outcome but the parents should have their heads examined for enticing their kids into participating in such a scam. I hope the fines are heavy because the greed of these people cost the taxpayers a great dealof money and sent valuable human resources on an absolute wild goose chase. I can't help but wonder how many REAL emergencies had to be handed off as this entire episode evolved.

And I'm ashamed of the media as the days have passed. This family was looking for their "15 minutes of fame" and the media continues to fuel the feeding frenzy.

thelongrun
10-19-2009, 04:08 PM
I think, in Henley's Words: Dirty Laundry wich wasn't even dirty this time...

Brooke
10-19-2009, 04:25 PM
My first thought when I saw it on tv last week was "how would that lift a small person?" "Where would he ride?"

Then I watched Meredith Viera interview the whole family on The Today Show. I've always watched that show, but when Meredith just kept talking and asking questions while the boy was visibly sick and actually threw up on camera, I was disgusted. They finally took a break, but that was very unfeeling and ridiculous.

And, if it was all a hoax, I think the parents should pay for what ever it cost. :scowl:

Peekaboo
10-19-2009, 06:32 PM
That was such a dumb move on the parents part. They wanted their 15 minutes of fame and they got it and then some because now they may be facing fines and other charges. I heard that the parents have already had their 15 minutes because they've been on the reality tv show Wife Swap before. And to make themselves look even worse, I heard that instead of calling 911 the parents called the local tv station first. What a stupid thing for them to do.

vamp1227
10-20-2009, 07:58 AM
I think the parents are just publicity seekers...they were on wife swap and were trying for their own reality show..I can't believe they would put their kids in this...
They need their head examined!!!:censored:

cynd1231
10-20-2009, 10:02 AM
...and I just saw on the internet news this morning where the father actually did jail time in LA for something a while back. What an idiot to jeopardize everything for the sake of an attempt at 'fame'. Looks like they got a lot more than they bargained for and I hope the parents get a true "reality" check out of this whole mess.