PDA

View Full Version : Expando Reviews!

Prettymaid
10-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Just finished listening to the cd, and off the top of my head my favorites are still Friday Night and Parachute, although I love Downtime, Secular Praise and A Good Day. (Love the line in A Good Day, "We'll make love 'til we can't see straight, then we'll rest our eyes.")

What's everybody else think? I'll delve in deeper as I listen to it more.

TimothyBFan
10-20-2009, 07:42 PM
Of course I do not have my cd yet :brickwall: BUT I was just thinking about that line earlier today when I was thinking about the concert and Timothy & that line came to mind :blush:, of him singing it the other night and the reaction that the audience gave when he sang it. I wonder what he was thinking when all the women started hooting and hollaring when he sang it.

luvthelighthouse
10-21-2009, 12:15 AM
Let me begin by saying, I've been on this site and posting way too much the past 48 hours. I'm still on a TBS high and I'm all jazzed up!

My first initial response to the CD is this, I feel voyeristic! Honestly, I feel like I'm peeking into Tim's life. Songs like Ella Jean, Compassion, White Boy From Sacramento, Secular Praise ... they are so personal. I think that is why I love the CD so much. I like getting to know people. I know that doesn't come across so much on this board, but in real life, if we sat down and had dinner, I'd probably ask you everything about your life, because I find people interesting.

I will go more into each song after a few more listens. However, the stand outs to me are Friday Night, White Boy From Sacramento, Downtime and Secular Praise and A Good Day.

Now, on a non musical level, about the CD packaging... While I don't love the front cover at all, it's growing on me. I really dislike the back cover though. The picture on the booklet... okay, Jeans a good artist, but I'm having a hard time looking at that painting! Actually, it reminds me of Jackson Browne when he had his beard. Pic on back of booklet is fantasic!!! Yes, I know this has nothing to do w/the content, but still, it's part of the CD and I'm sure it'll eventually come up. It's just my opinion and I know others will feel the exact opposite.

Overall though, I'm loving the CD. Then again, I'm not exactly the objective audience.

sings... "i can hit them high notes like they were nothin" (and it sings it high... who can't love that?)

cynd1231
10-21-2009, 02:58 AM
Okay, now that I've listened to this CD for about eight hours I have to give a HUGE thumbs up to MELANCHOLY and COMPASSION. BUT I still can't pick just one favorite. I love every song for a different reason, whether it's the tempo, tune or lyrics.

WHITE BOY is such a FUN song and you can just hear in his voice that he's having a blast poking fun at himself.

And I have to agree with LTL: I feel like a voyeur who is peeking. When I listen to the words it's so obvious this is a very personal compilation. EXPANDO projects a side of Timothy that I think we've always known -- or at least suspected -- was just waiting to bust out. There is humor, love, passion and understanding in these songs.

The packaging has me sitting on the fence. The front cover is growing on me, much the same as LTL said. When I saw the back cover my first thought was "WHF?" until I saw the latest updates and photos on the website and then it made sense to me. And I absolutely love the inside photo on the jacket. As for the insert, again I have to agree with LTL about the painting on the front...but again I love the new photo on the back. The other two pictures made sense immediately -- Timothy's affinitity for things Native American and the statue (he does call his studio "Mooselodge" after all.)

Lastly, a note about the website. The additions are really great, especially the pictures. I was particularly interested in the 'in studio' shots during the recording process and couldn't help but notice the predominant Native American flavor to the decor when I studied the pictures. (I really like the PHOTOGRAPH of Timothy holding the orange -- if you haven't seen it yet, what are you waiting for? And the photo of Timothy and Ben is priceless!).

My bottom line: :yay::smitten::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumb sup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::yay::rockon::ap plause::partytime::spin::nod:

PS: I THINK THE EAGLES SHOULD ADD 'WHITE BOY' TO THE SET LIST WHEN THEY HIT THE ROAD AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.timothybschmit.com/client_images/timothybschmit/5007_4753c102d4056e15ab41302ed9bbd7a6.jpg

TimothyBFan
10-21-2009, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the reviews so far guys. Love reading what everyone is thinking. Love the kind words cynd about White Boy.

I broke down late last night and bought a few off of itunes. Darn that Amazon--will NEVER do that again. Anyways I'm warning you all now--if you DON'T want to get angry, DO NOT go on there and read the reviews! :stunned: They aren't kind. Obviously people who don't appreciate good music!

I think I will wait till I have the real cd in hand before I will do an actual review. But with what I heard the other night live and what I do have downloaded at this time~~ WOW :spin:. I don't think any of you will be surprised how much I love it so far!

One question to those of you that have the cd in hand--do the liner notes have the lyrics?

Peekaboo
10-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Well, I never did get around to pre-ordering and after reading about others who did and learning of their arrival dates, I'm glad I didn't pre-order. I work nights so it's much more difficult for me to get around to certain stores while they are open and I just about always miss the u.p.s. guy when I'm expecting certain packages that i've ordered. So, what I ended up doing was downloading the entire album from Itunes. I would much rather have the actual album (cover and all) in hand but I just couldn't wait much longer to hear the new songs and for $9.99 i'd say it was quite a bargain. I haven't listened to it yet but I'm about to drive back to my hometown to visit my family so i plan to listen to it then. I'm looking forward to it. I need to get on the road so I can finally hear these new songs.

Btw, Willie, you were right about those reviews on itunes. Other than Friday Night and Parachute, I haven't heard the new songs yet and I can already tell that those idiots have no idea what they are talking about. :evil:

Prettymaid
10-21-2009, 08:01 AM
Yes Willie, the booklet has one song's lyrics per page, and the credits for each song on the last page. He thanks Irving first!

BTW, he thanks Julie Freeman. Is that the same Julie you guys talk about?

TimothyBFan
10-21-2009, 08:16 AM
That Julie!! She is such a sweetie!! Irving first huh? :nope: Timmy Timmy Timmy!

Koala
10-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the reviews, they sounds all great!
I am so excited, can´t wait to hear the whole album someday!
Finally I wanted to buy the album even at ITunes, so that I can hear it too
but my search was not successful, not one of his solo album was indicated! :hmm:
I have no luck with this album!

Prettymaid
10-21-2009, 10:10 AM
I broke down late last night and bought a few off of itunes... Anyways I'm warning you all now--if you DON'T want to get angry, DO NOT go on there and read the reviews! :stunned: They aren't kind. Obviously people who don't appreciate good music!

I want to go onto itunes and write an appropriate review (those people don't know what they're talking about!) but I don't have time right now. But I want to urge everyone who has heard this cd and likes it to post a review for it on itunes! Let's help get the word out that this is some g-o-o-o-d music!

luvthelighthouse
10-21-2009, 10:22 AM
PM, you are absolutely right, we should do that. I was taking notes on the CD on my way to work this morning. I made it through the whole thing too. =)

Mostly I'm at the first impression stage, but I still have more to add. Although, part of me is hesitate to post my review before everyone has a chance to hear the CD... as I don't "my" words interrupting their own interpretations. KWIM? Sometimes when someone says something, it sticks in your head and may take away from a different view point... not always, but sometimes.

I'm so thankful I have this board to share my excitement with!

Prettymaid
10-21-2009, 10:26 AM
You may be right LTL. I'm also waiting to be more thorough. It gives me a chance to listen to it more and get better impressions.

Freypower
10-21-2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the reviews so far guys. Love reading what everyone is thinking. Love the kind words cynd about White Boy.

I broke down late last night and bought a few off of itunes. Darn that Amazon--will NEVER do that again. Anyways I'm warning you all now--if you DON'T want to get angry, DO NOT go on there and read the reviews! :stunned: They aren't kind. Obviously people who don't appreciate good music!

I think I will wait till I have the real cd in hand before I will do an actual review. But with what I heard the other night live and what I do have downloaded at this time~~ WOW :spin:. I don't think any of you will be surprised how much I love it so far!

One question to those of you that have the cd in hand--do the liner notes have the lyrics?

I don't understand how people can dismiss an album after hearing the songs once. If they don't like it they should ignore it.

I haven 't got access to iTunes at the moment (it's been a month)! but like most people I wanted a hard copy of the CD. I hope it should arrive next week (but I am still waiting for Knopfler's effort too - it's quite an exciting time for me). To those of you who are sharing your initial thoughts, thank you. I can't wait to hear WBFS (yes, it's acronym time again)!!!!

tbs fanatic
10-21-2009, 05:54 PM
Dang it - I've been going all over town trying to find 'Expando' and nobody has it???? Will I really have to go to Amazon to get it? You'd think one of the big stores in town would have it. What's the matter with them? I'm going to have to mount a one woman protest outside the stores - :armed:

tbs fanatic
10-21-2009, 06:02 PM
WOW! Just read the reviews on iTunes - ouch! They were rough. Really rough. Eeek!

cynd1231
10-21-2009, 06:50 PM
I've got to echo what everone else has said after visiting iTunes: OUCH! But I guess they aren't called 'critics' without evidence to back the moniker up! Personally I think they should only be able to give it a 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down' and keep the rest of it to themselves. The way I see it, either you like it or you don't but I think it's mean-spirited to pan something just because it isn't to your taste. If it's not the style/genre you enjoy, just say that and be done with it.

sodascouts
10-21-2009, 07:27 PM
I did a search for reviews and didn't find much, but this positive one popped up:

All Music Guide's review of Expando (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:jvftxzwaldde)

I also found this - which is a mediocre review preceded by an absolutely hilarious lead-in featuring a fictional skit starring the Eagles. It does make fun of our guys, so if that upsets you, don't click the link! I laughed HARD though.

You Again? (http://popdose.com/you-again-timothy-b-schmit-expando/)

luvthelighthouse
10-22-2009, 11:11 AM
I decided to write my review with the following disclaimer: If you want to hear the songs fresh without any preconceived notions, please stop reading. I do not want any of my thoughts to cloud your own views. Sometimes, when someone calls out a certain aspect, it stays with you… and I don’t want that to be the case. However, if you want to read my ramblings, carry on. :)

There is a common theme to this CD, appreciating the good life.

One More Mile – It’s a little too folksy for my taste. I could do w/out the lyrics altogether. I do however think it would make a good instrumental peace, as I do like the heavy bass line on this song, as well as the percussion sounds. During the show, it appeared Chris Farmer took out a container of rocks and start started shaking it. You can hear the rocks on the song and I laugh at the memory!

Parachute – I want to like this song, but the jury is still out. I can’t help but think he wrote this when he was on tour w/the Eagles. “when you think you’ve had enough of this living on your own… longing for home… time to change your attitude” I see that as being on the road too long and wanting the comforts of day to day life, but then remembering, this was your dream and you are lucky to be living it. I’m appreciating the guitar, as I feel that is the driving instrument of this song.

Friday Night – One of my favorites. I’m partial to the “bells” in the background. It gives off a simple old world charm. I feel as if I should be in a European courtyard listening to a live local band performing this. I love the progression changes from slow to fast, slow, fast. When TBS picks it up and goes into, “Slip into you best dress, paint your lips red”, I actually want to get dressed up and have some fun. The whole feel of the song is carefree and I enjoy that.

Ella Jean- I can relate to Nancy’s thoughts of this sounding very Beach Boyesque. It certainly has that California/Brian Wilson feel to it. As I mentioned earlier, I feel like I’m glimpsing into TBS life and his feelings for Jean. It’s a sweet song, nothing ground breaking. I have two things I like most, when he sings, “flowers in your hair.” To me, that is him remembering Jean in her innocent youth. That imagine of her eternal beauty etched in his mind. The second is the great harmony at the end.

White Boy From Sacramento – Another stand out for me. The lyrics are awesome, the music is upbeat, his voice is great! I enjoy the fact that he steps away from his soft sound and adds a little edge. When he sings high, “I hit them high notes like they were nothin’ “… classic! The backup harmonies from the women are spectacular against TBS funkier sound. Its kinda 50’s rockish too. This is the perfect song for Ben to be on. I didn’t realize he played drums and lead guitar - the guitar sounded great IMO! Personally, I think these lyrics sum TBS up… he gets it! He gets the whole normal childhood to dreams realized. It’s as if he’s looking back on a good life. It’s fun, funky, funny and feel good!

Compassion- This is another song where the instruments stand out. This song is all TBS too, no one joins him on any part of it. If it were an instrumental, I’d have been okay w/that. The way the sounds mesh is very soothing.

Downtown- It’s a bluesy and beatnik and the same time. I think the sounds of Kid Rock and Dwight complement TBS on the chorus. Much of how I feel that TBS complements Don when singing harmonies. This is another one of those fun tempo changing songs. I love songs that change it up right in the middle and go back to the original format. The accordion is a great addition to this song!

Melancholy – Title sums it up pretty well

I Don’t Mind – The tuba is a sure hit on this number! I have to wonder who this is about though. :headscratch: Wife, kids, band mate? I get an old time country flavor to this song. I think it’s the way he kinda lazily sings it.

Secular Praise – More reflection of a carefree childhood and good life. I’m lovin’ the gospel touch the Blind Boys bring to the table. They sound fantastic! Again, in theme, gratitude, “I don’t know why some have less and some have more - all my sorrow could all fit in a bedroom drawer”. IMO, this is the song from and to his soul. Lots of internal reflection. The organ and accordion add to that emotional feel of it all. It’s heartwarming... actually, a few times, it has brought tears to my eyes it and made the hairs on my arm stand up.

A Good Day – Another favorite. Its fun, TBS plays harmonica, along w/several other instruments. It’s just such a common feeling. As Timothy said in his show, “everyone just wants to have a good day”. He’s right! “we’ll make love ‘til we can’t see straight” okay, who’s not lovin’ that line? This one has a steel guitar and reminds me a little of Poco. Catchy little chorus, I see it being stuck in my head a lot!

Overall, I give this a thumbs up.:thumbsup: On the whole, not a lot of songs I’d skip past. Maybe One More Mile and Melancholy… but I think it would depend on my mood. Now, of course I have a biased opinion, I know that. I do value it though. I really feel TBS put his heart and soul in Expando. I’d give it a five out five stars! It’s a feel good CD that really goes back to his roots and I think has allowed him to grow musically. He takes great care in marrying different instruments to get the best sounds possible. I can tell he spent a lot of time deciding what instruments to use and sounds that please his ears. It's not hard rock, but a laid back rock without being boring.

TimothyBFan
10-22-2009, 01:54 PM
WHATEVER!!!! :eyebrow: Don't know whether to laugh or cry!

http://popdose.com/you-again-timothy-b-schmit-expando/

sodascouts
10-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Hey, this was what I linked to in my previous post! I disagree about his opinion of Expando, but that skit is a hoot even if it does make fun of our guys.

TimothyBFan
10-22-2009, 02:05 PM
Oops--Sorry Nancy but I'm just now getting to the last couple of pages and hadn't had a chance to hit your link. I agree-like I said didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I will say however, I hate the crypt keeper thing as much now as I did when he did the original story! :brickwall:

sodascouts
10-22-2009, 02:12 PM
That Crypt-Keeper thing irritates me as well - and Heaven knows he took enough jabs at the rest of the guys, too!

But these lines especially made me crack up:

Henley: Tim, if you paid what we charge for concert tickets, would you leave for any moment of the show?

Schmit: That’s a tough question. I can’t afford Eagles concert tickets.

LOL!

Henley: Uh, I think what Glenn was trying to say was that sure, the album came out just fine, but do you not remember the torture it took us to make it? How Azoff had to ply us with $100 bills in a trail from our houses to the studio?

Hehehe!

luvthelighthouse
10-22-2009, 02:45 PM
OMG, that skit is the funniest thing I've read in a while. I was litterally laughing out loud, loudly!!! I don't agree about Expando either... but it seems they were looking for a hard rock piece and they got folk rock instead.

Brooke
10-22-2009, 04:52 PM
I agree, OMG! :hilarious:

Sorry guys!

eaglesvet
10-22-2009, 06:14 PM
I decided to write my review with the following disclaimer: If you want to hear the songs fresh without any preconceived notions, please stop reading. I do not want any of my thoughts to cloud your own views. Sometimes, when someone calls out a certain aspect, it stays with you… and I don’t want that to be the case. However, if you want to read my ramblings, carry on. :)

There is a common theme to this CD, appreciating the good life.

One More Mile – It’s a little too folksy for my taste. I could do w/out the lyrics altogether. I do however think it would make a good instrumental peace, as I do like the heavy bass line on this song, as well as the percussion sounds. During the show, it appeared Chris Farmer took out a container of rocks and start started shaking it. You can hear the rocks on the song and I laugh at the memory!

Parachute – I want to like this song, but the jury is still out. I can’t help but think he wrote this when he was on tour w/the Eagles. “when you think you’ve had enough of this living on your own… longing for home… time to change your attitude” I see that as being on the road too long and wanting the comforts of day to day life, but then remembering, this was your dream and you are lucky to be living it. I’m appreciating the guitar, as I feel that is the driving instrument of this song.

Friday Night – One of my favorites. I’m partial to the “bells” in the background. It gives off a simple old world charm. I feel as if I should be in a European courtyard listening to a live local band performing this. I love the progression changes from slow to fast, slow, fast. When TBS picks it up and goes into, “Slip into you best dress, paint your lips red”, I actually want to get dressed up and have some fun. The whole feel of the song is carefree and I enjoy that.

Ella Jean- I can relate to Nancy’s thoughts of this sounding very Beach Boyesque. It certainly has that California/Brian Wilson feel to it. As I mentioned earlier, I feel like I’m glimpsing into TBS life and his feelings for Jean. It’s a sweet song, nothing ground breaking. I have two things I like most, when he sings, “flowers in your hair.” To me, that is him remembering Jean in her innocent youth. That imagine of her eternal beauty etched in his mind. The second is the great harmony at the end.

White Boy From Sacramento – Another stand out for me. The lyrics are awesome, the music is upbeat, his voice is great! I enjoy the fact that he steps away from his soft sound and adds a little edge. When he sings high, “I hit them high notes like they were nothin’ “… classic! The backup harmonies from the women are spectacular against TBS funkier sound. Its kinda 50’s rockish too. This is the perfect song for Ben to be on. I didn’t realize he played drums and lead guitar - the guitar sounded great IMO! Personally, I think these lyrics sum TBS up… he gets it! He gets the whole normal childhood to dreams realized. It’s as if he’s looking back on a good life. It’s fun, funky, funny and feel good!

Compassion- This is another song where the instruments stand out. This song is all TBS too, no one joins him on any part of it. If it were an instrumental, I’d have been okay w/that. The way the sounds mesh is very soothing.

Downtown- It’s a bluesy and beatnik and the same time. I think the sounds of Kid Rock and Dwight complement TBS on the chorus. Much of how I feel that TBS complements Don when singing harmonies. This is another one of those fun tempo changing songs. I love songs that change it up right in the middle and go back to the original format. The accordion is a great addition to this song!

Melancholy – Title sums it up pretty well

I Don’t Mind – The tuba is a sure hit on this number! I have to wonder who this is about though. :headscratch: Wife, kids, band mate? I get an old time country flavor to this song. I think it’s the way he kinda lazily sings it.

Secular Praise – More reflection of a carefree childhood and good life. I’m lovin’ the gospel touch the Blind Boys bring to the table. They sound fantastic! Again, in theme, gratitude, “I don’t know why some have less and some have more - all my sorrow could all fit in a bedroom drawer”. IMO, this is the song from and to his soul. Lots of internal reflection. The organ and accordion add to that emotional feel of it all. It’s heartwarming... actually, a few times, it has brought tears to my eyes it and made the hairs on my arm stand up.

A Good Day – Another favorite. Its fun, TBS plays harmonica, along w/several other instruments. It’s just such a common feeling. As Timothy said in his show, “everyone just wants to have a good day”. He’s right! “we’ll make love ‘til we can’t see straight” okay, who’s not lovin’ that line? This one has a steel guitar and reminds me a little of Poco. Catchy little chorus, I see it being stuck in my head a lot!

Overall, I give this a thumbs up.:thumbsup: On the whole, not a lot of songs I’d skip past. Maybe One More Mile and Melancholy… but I think it would depend on my mood. Now, of course I have a biased opinion, I know that. I do value it though. I really feel TBS put his heart and soul in Expando. I’d give it a five out five stars! It’s a feel good CD that really goes back to his roots and I think has allowed him to grow musically. He takes great care in marrying different instruments to get the best sounds possible. I can tell he spent a lot of time deciding what instruments to use and sounds that please his ears. It's not hard rock, but a laid back rock without being boring.

LTL, Chris Farmer plays a clear plastic container of metal washers...couldn't you tell?:hilarious: When I first saw them, I thought they were chocolate-covered pretzels...then I realized the sound would not be very consistent show to show, for obvious reasons!!:wink:

Freypower
10-22-2009, 06:52 PM
I did not find it funny and I was not impressed by the last paragraph. I'm afraid I must have missed something. Self-indulgence of this type in the guise of a 'review' is not my idea of fun. Sorry.

GlennLover
10-22-2009, 06:57 PM
I certainly didn't appreciate his comments about Glenn! :-x

Prettymaid
10-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Hey LTL, I just wanted to tell you that I really enjoyed your review. It was very thorough and thoughtful. I'm itching to write one up, but I need to listen a little more and think about it when I have more time. I have a feeling there will be some similarities! :thumbsup:

luvthelighthouse
10-22-2009, 10:41 PM
Thanks PM. I'm anxiously awaiting yours and others reviews. I'd love to hear everyones thoughts. I've listened to Expando more than one person should in a 24 hr period! :hilarious: I'm really enjoying though.

luvthelighthouse
10-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Cynd, I forgot to tell you, I also love the pic of him in his studio. Jeans and bare feet, so sexy! The whole image w/the istruments is awesome. Also, did you notice his hand was all wrapped up from the dog bite?

For those that don't have the CD yet, the image is on his website. It may be over here too, but I can't recall if someone posted it or not.

Prettymaid
10-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Well, I'll remedy that right now! Heading over to Schmit Sexiness...

TimothyBFan
10-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Finally I have it in hand! :yay: Took 2 trips to the stupid post office this morning because when I went in around 9:30, the girl said she knew she had seen a pkg come in this morning for me (advantage of small town living-they all know you) but they didn't have the packages sorted out yet. Went back at 10:30 and I almost jumped over the counter for it myself. I had to run into town for errands and groceries so I opened it in the truck, popped it in and listened to it on my journeys.

I will hold off saying much just that as I thought from the concert, my 2 faves are definitely White Boy and Friday Night with Parachute right behind them. Will listen some more this weekend and get back with my review for what it will be worth. You know I don't do those to good but will give it a try.

Prettymaid
10-25-2009, 03:37 PM
I think I’m finally ready to post my review. Remember these are just my opinions. Take them for what they’re worth!

This album is Timothy all grown up. He’s finally doing what he wants to do and the heck with everyone else! Not having any of Timothy’s past solo albums, I only have the songs from Timothy’s Solo Song Survivor game to compare these to, but there’s no comparison! I like most of these new songs a lot. Every day I have a different one playing in my head. This must be such an exciting time for him! I wish him all the best.

Now the individual songs in the order in which they are on the CD;

One More Mile: Like LTL, this is my least favorite song on the album, which isn’t a big deal, (you usually don’t love them all, right?) but what’s disappointing is that it’s the first song. I wish he had opened with Friday Night or perhaps Downtime. One More Mile reminds me of one of those old black spirituals. What might have helped it is for the background singers from White Boy From Sacramento to join him on the “One more mile” parts. But even that would not make this song a favorite of mine.

Parachute: This is definitely the most commercially appealing song on the album and I love it! Kenny Wayne Shepherd’s smokin’ guitar adds volumes to this CSN-like soft rock tune. I also love Graham Nash’s background vocals, especially when he surprises me by going up a little higher than I’m expecting him to during the chorus on the words 'enough', 'about' and 'overdrive'. This would be great to hear on the radio!

Friday Night: My absolute favorite, this should have been the first song on the album. Just when you think the song has peaked at the “Slip into your best dress/I could be your lover” part, then comes the celebratory sound of the instrumentals, loud and boisterous like something you would here at a Bavarian Beer Fest. The meandering organ tops this tune off like a cherry on a sundae! And nothing beats hearing Timothy say "Woo!" Can’t play it enough!

Ella Jean: This is a very simple song, all Timothy. Not one of my favorites, the verses sound like a children’s schoolyard song. The harmonica saves it from being my least favorite.

White Boy From Sacramento: This boogy woogie song is Timothy’s attempt at self deprecation ala Joe’s Life’s Been Good. A cute song unlike anything we’ve heard from Timothy, he takes us back to his childhood growing up in Sacramento. Love the background singers!

Compassion: This is a sweet simple song about how Timothy sees himself in the world. Once again, all Timothy. I’m not often a fan of the falsetto, but in this case it works. I wish I could see how they mix this song to make his 'ahhhs' sound like a full chorus!

sodascouts
10-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the reviews, guys. I'm holding off reading them until I can write my own but wow, they look impressive!

In the meantime, I found this photo of an "Expando" trailer home like the one Tim lived in:

http://www.allmanufacturedhomes.com/html/1952_budger_expando_trailer.htm

Prettymaid
10-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Downtime: This is another one of my favorites. You guys who have met me know that I’m a little laid back, ;) so I can easily relate to the sentiments in this song. I love the accordion, the vibraphone and Dwight Yoakam and Kid Rock’s background vocals, not to mention Hank’s excellent finger snaps!

Melancholy: TBS’s best vocal on the album, IMO. Concerning the lyrics? Hey, we’ve all been there.

I Don’t Mind: Another one that doesn’t quite get there for me, this song sounds like circus music. And like LTL, I wonder who he’s singing about?

Secular Praise: Love it! The Blind Boys of Alabama assist in creating the goosebumps that rise on my arms when I listen to this song. Perfectly placed at second to last.

A Good Day: Yet another one of my favorites, the steel guitar helps this become the ‘country’ song on the album. Listening to the easy going lyrics, who of us would not like to have a day like this? A perfect song to close the album.

Here's something I hardly ever do on the board - a list! (Starting with my favorite)

Friday Night
Parachute
Downtime
A Good Day
Secular Praise
Compassion
Melancholy
White Boy From Sacramento
I Don't Mind
Ella Jean
One More Mile

Ive always been a dreamer
10-25-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the Expando reviews, everyone. I'll have to work on mine as well.

Now, as far as this review that Soda posted the link to, I have to agree with those who think it was hilarious. In this case, the intent of the review was the comedic effect, IMO. I enjoy the humor in this case. What really rattles my cage is when a reviewer is just plain mean-spirited or uninformed.

I did a search for reviews and didn't find much, but this positive one popped up:

All Music Guide's review of Expando (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:jvftxzwaldde)

I also found this - which is a mediocre review preceded by an absolutely hilarious lead-in featuring a fictional skit starring the Eagles. It does make fun of our guys, so if that upsets you, don't click the link! I laughed HARD though.

You Again? (http://popdose.com/you-again-timothy-b-schmit-expando/)

luvthelighthouse
10-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Yeah PM, I'm happy you got around to doing your review, I enjoyed it! You were right, we did have similiar feelings on some of those. Secular Praise really does reach in and touch you.

Dreamer, just thinking back to that skit crackes me up. Henley having his Korean girl high five Frey. Timmoy "i wrote a song called EJ and it's for my wife". OMG, so funny! I think poking a little fun is fine too.

10-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Henley having his Korean girl high five Frey. Timmoy "i wrote a song called EJ and it's for my wife". OMG, so funny! I think poking a little fun is fine too.

OMG - I know ltl. I actually meant to put that in my post and forgot to do it. The high-five is my favorite part, too. Now, I'm sorry, but that made me almost split a gut! :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

Freypower
10-25-2009, 08:10 PM
On the other hand, Expando contains zero Glenn Frey, and because rock & roll math clearly states that an album’s net entertainment value exists in inverse proportion to the amount of Frey it features, Expando is better than any Eagles album recorded before Joe Walsh joined the band in 1976 (because rock & roll math also states that Some Joe Walsh trumps Any Glenn Frey). It’s still a mostly inconsequential piece of work, but if you’re looking for a homebrewed vanity project that sucks less than No Fun Aloud, this will be money well spent.

Excuse my lack of humour, then. I did not see any point in this utterly gratuitious paragraph. If that is not mean-spirited, I don't know what is.

10-25-2009, 08:45 PM
FP - you certainly don't have to excuse yourself if you don't think this is funny. You are entitled to think whatever you want. I was just stating my opinion, not passing judgment on anyone. However, it is my opinion that the intent of this review is not mean-spirited. I just don't think that this guy is being serious. Now, while he may believe some of what he says, to me, the paragraph that you quoted is so exaggerated and sarcastic that it is clearly intended to be humorous. While I obviously don't agree with what he is saying, I can still see the humor in it - but that's just me.

sodascouts
10-25-2009, 08:48 PM
It's all good, guys. Different people find different things funny. Now, Let's not stray too far from the topic!

TimothyBFan
10-26-2009, 07:29 AM
I didn't mind the skit at all. I laughed till I cried in a couple of places. My favorite part was when Tim said he couldn't afford Eagles tickets and Glenn said "well I can". It was the rest of the article that really bothered the h*ll out of me! I think alot of it was just mean spirited and let's face it, this guy has never been a fan period so why bother writing a review in the first place. JMHO.

Almost done with my review but I know it will not be near as detailed as some of them here. I have really enjoyed reading yours. It's interesting to see how everyones opinions are shared or different.

10-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Last night I tried to put the Expando songs in the order that I like them, but I discovered that I'm not able to do it yet. I'm gonna have to put myself through the ordeal of listening to them some more. :thumbsup:

And Willie, I appreciate what you are saying about the review. I don't really agree with the idea that only fans should write reviews, but that's a whole 'nother topic. :wink: In this particular case, it seems that we mostly disagree about whether or not the intention here was to be mean-spirited or humorous. Obviously, unless we ask the writer, I guess the answer can be whatever each of us wants it to be. :laugh:

sodascouts
10-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Same here. I'm giving the album time to sink in - especially since I got it so late!

TimothyBFan
10-26-2009, 01:19 PM
You are right Dreamer and I've said it before that reviews shouldn't be written only by fans, I shouldn't of phrased it that way. But I also maintain that you don't have to be cruel if you are not a fan and I believe saying Tim looks like the "crypt keeper" is overstepping the boundries for a review and also believe what an artist looks like should have nothing to do with what an album sounds like or whether someone is capable of liking it or not.

That being said... the following review is being written by a HUGE fan and might lean towards the biased a bit. :) Which is kinda funny, because to be honest, I'm more of the rock n roll type and can't think of another artist that sings Tim's kind of music that I can say I'd listen to. Know what I mean?

I will also do it according to the order of the tracks on the album because I can't seem to put them in order of most fave to least fave. I can, I believe however, put them in 3 categories, LOVE, Like a lot and just like.

1.) One More Mile-LOVE IT-From the very first "Eeeeee" & note of Keb Mo, I love this tune! Keb Mo's Slide Dobro (thanks Mike & Bernie-I learned something last weekend & in the Gearhead thread) really does it for me. For some reason I've always loved what I call the "O Brother Where Art Thou" kinda music, kinda blue grassy, again not my usual style.

2. Parachute-LOVE IT-I was taken by this song the first time I heard it on Tim's MySpace. Loved the guitar work by Kenny Wayne and the background vocals are very noticably Graham Nash. Saw a couple reviews here talking CSN like, and even Tim said that in the interview Jess posted-I personally don't feel that way about it but what do I know. In looking at the credits, I had to look up "strumstick" to see what it is-I found a catalog of them on line and this is at the top of the page "No wrong notes and no talent required"- finally an instrument I could play.

3.) Friday Night-LOVE IT-I admit, when I first heard it on MySpace, I wasn't so much taken by it-I think simply because I had just listened to the rockin' Parachute and wasn't mentally ready to move onto this song. I quickly started liking it and by the time I heard it in concert, I was practically jumping out of my skin to hear it live. Love the lyrics,especially "You can be my princess, I'll be what you like, let's run around the palace"-boy does that ever give me an image in my mind. But my favorite part of the whole song is that one beat of the bass drum before he sings the chorus each time. One stupid beat just gives me such a thrill. I know PM has said it sounds Irish like-the part I believe she is referring to reminded me a lot of an old 80s song called Safety Dance? Silly!

4.) Ella Jean-LIKE-I tried to really really like this one more but I just can't and I choose to believe it has nothing to do with the fact it was written for Jean (I think that is wonderful!). I just feel it sounds to much like a Kids Bop song or something. Love the sentiment of it tho.

5.) White Boy From Sacamento-LOVE IT-I have made it perfectly clear this is my favorite song on the cd. Tim's low vocals (who knew he could do that?) and the way he pokes fun at himself is just fantastic. Again had to look up what "Jade East" is--it's a cologne. Made sense after I figured that out. I learned a lot more about Tim with several of the songs on this cd but this one the most. Love the electric piano and the lyrics..."I hit those high notes like they were nothin'..." Genius!

6.) Compasion-LIKE-I really like the lyrics at the beginning of this one, especially the 1st verse-it again tells me that he is very appreciative of what he has and where his career has gotten him. But toward the end of the song, I think the lyrics lose something. I find myself zoning out a bit during it.

7.) Downtime-LIKE A LOT-I think the vibraphone (had to look that one up also to see exactly what it was) is really cool. The backgrounds by Kid & Dwight are pretty cool, and what a combination! I think it's hilarious that they give fingersnap credit to Hank on the liner notes! I do, however, feel they could of shortened this song by a couple of minutes-6:34 seems a bit long.

8.) Melancholy-LIKE-Probably my least favorite song on the cd. To slow for me. The lyrics, however, make me want to say "been there, done that". Good name for the song.

9.) I Don't Mind-LIKE A LOT- The first thing I noticed when I heard this song was the tuba-it just cracked me up. How many songs can you think of where you hear a tuba so prominently? I think the lyrics are very catchy and I find this one sticking in my head after hearing it a lot. Love the attitude in the lyrics and I'm with the others here that wonder who it's about. I have my own idea of who that might be. It also reminds me of a skit I read recently.;-) I'm glad to know that Tim does get "fed up" like the rest of us sometimes also.

10.) Secular Praise-LOVE IT- WOW! This song gives me the chills! It's just so soulful. The words are fantastic, I especially love the verse "Don't go to church, but I feel the weight. Some people think I'm shy. Still I hope to shake the hand of fate before I die." You and I both Tim! The whole Hallelujah part just makes me want to get up and scream amen! Tim's voice is just beautiful in this-what a perfect mix of his and The Blind Boys voices. I would like to have been in the same room as Tim when he was writing this one and would love to pick his brain on what brought this one on.

11.) A Good Day-LIKE A LOT-1 2 3 4--a bit country sounding but I can overlook that because it is a catchy little tune. A feel good song. I believe it was PM that said "who doesn't want to have one of these?" And the line "make love till we can't see straight"... oh yeah!

I caught myself quite a bit while taking my notes writing "catchy tune" next to a song. I agree with whoever said that the songs here tend to stick in your head. I have found myself more than once since last weekend singing them to myself. I'm sure this cd will get a lot of play from me. I also agree with ltlh (I believe) when she said it's borderline voyeurism while listening to this cd. It does seem as if he is telling us his life story.

Freypower
10-27-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm going to try and make some quick comments. I am listening to it for the very first time. I should point out that I probably won't have the same appreciation of it that Tim's 'real' fans have.

One More Mile - I really liked this on the first hearing. Nice and bluesy, something I haven't heard him do before. Vaguely 'Henleyesque' lyrics. References to 'the inner child' and 'the one you love'!

Parachute - now I know why it's like CSNY. Graham Nash is on it. I think this will be a favourite.

Friday Night - very pleasant track which rolls along nicely.

Ella Jean - sorry, Tim fans. Far too sweet and I'm not a fan of the falsetto here, I'm afraid. I don't dislike it but I can tell it won't be a favourite.

White Boy From Sacramento - well. It's different but there are too many echoes of Born To Boogie & the 'swampy' version of Smuggler's Blues. I understand why people like the lower voice. I don't know if I like it or not.

Compassion - very nice indeed, with some beautiful harmonies. Vaguely Cat Stevens sounding.

Downtime - that's right Tim. That's what we want. A bit of 'growl'. Some funk. 'Take it easy' reference'. 'Something's wrong' reference. Accordion (Van Dyke Parks). This is my type of song! (I'm not a fan of the spelling 'cuz', though).

Melancholy - this is very pretty. Probably the closest track to the Eagles in spirit. I like this type of minor key melody (I hope it's in a minor key)!

I Don't Mind - I don't know who is being addressed here and I don't reallly care. I do like the lines 'sometimes without warning/you strike with all your glory' (ahem). What a fun groove for such a lyric. Very When I'm 64. The longer the song goes, the more I like it. You tell 'em, Tim (whoever 'they' are).....:thumbsup:!

Secular Praise - Somewhat similar to Soul Searchin'. Has a very nice feel, but on one listen it's not a great favourite. I'm sure it will grow on me.

A Good Day - very country, a bit like the Byrds' version of You Ain't Goin' Nowhere, especially with the harmonica. Very nice. I could see John Fogerty in his latest guise having a go at this.

Overall, I'm delighted to have a Tim album that sounds like Tim doing what he wants to do.

TimothyBFan
10-28-2009, 07:07 AM
Compassion - very nice indeed, with some beautiful harmonies. Vaguely Cat Stevens sounding.

PM-what's your take on this? I went back to your review and looked to see if I had missed you saying something about that also. I don't know that much about Cat to compare it.

FP--I like your review and you comparisons to other songs. Kinda put them into a little more perspective. But I still feel this cd is all Tim which is basically what you summed up in your last line also.

Prettymaid
10-28-2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks TBF and FP for your reviews. I enjoyed reading them both. Everybody's review is bringing something different to the table and I like that.

Concerning Compassion sounding vaguely like Cat Stevens, I totally get it in the nature Julie is intending. A very simple tune with just the guitar...very Catlike. All of her similarities are interesting.

TimothyBFan
10-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Another interview/review from VH1 Radio.

http://www.wewillrockyoublog.com/2009/10/28/timothy-b-schmit-talks-about-expando/

(http://www.wewillrockyoublog.com/2009/10/28/timothy-b-schmit-talks-about-expando/)

sodascouts
10-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the heads-up! Did you see my Chicago video was linked at the bottom, too?

timfan
10-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Neat! and great to get a frame of reference as to when the Eagles might start touring again...

Prettymaid
10-28-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the heads-up! Did you see my Chicago video was linked at the bottom, too?

Yes Soda! :yay: I was just getting ready to post it when I saw you already had!

BTW, didn't you have another video from Chicago or did it not turn out? Or am I thinking of Willie?

Freypower
10-28-2009, 05:42 PM
PM-what's your take on this? I went back to your review and looked to see if I had missed you saying something about that also. I don't know that much about Cat to compare it.

FP--I like your review and you comparisons to other songs. Kinda put them into a little more perspective. But I still feel this cd is all Tim which is basically what you summed up in your last line also.

Yes, regarding making comparisons with other songs, this is meaning no disrespect to Tim because of course it is all him and they are all his songs. I tend to have an automatic tendency to compare sounds. I also listened to the new Knopfler CD for the first time yesterday & I thought he sounded like Eric Clapton on one track.

sodascouts
10-28-2009, 10:55 PM
BTW, didn't you have another video from Chicago or did it not turn out? Or am I thinking of Willie?

Yes - I have White Boy from Sacramento as well and it did turn out, but I was hesitant to post it as I didn't want to tread on any toes!

Prettymaid
10-29-2009, 10:57 AM
Yes - I have White Boy from Sacramento as well and it did turn out, but I was hesitant to post it as I didn't want to tread on any toes!

Whose toes? Timmy toes?

Prettymaid
10-29-2009, 11:19 AM
I have a couple of questions about the spoken words on the album.

Can anybody make out what is said at the very end of Parachute?

Also, at the end of White Boy From Sacramento, what are all of the things spoken?

I hear "Get down, be groovy, now limbo!"

and, "Yeah, you know what I mean"

and then something I can't make out

and then, "Get down"

"Alright listen here we go."

luvthelighthouse
10-29-2009, 11:37 AM
On White Boy, I think he says, Up the in the Capital City... or something along those lines.

sodascouts
10-30-2009, 08:28 PM
I listened to a few times today and this is what I heard:

You know, up there in the capital..

(For those who don't know, Sacramento is the capital of California)

Prettymaid
10-30-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks LTL and Soda.

sodascouts
10-30-2009, 09:24 PM
OK, finally, I'm ready to post a review of Expando!

My overall thoughts: This is, IMHO, Timothy's strongest album. While many of the songs start off in a similar fashion, before long they twist around and become something else. The thing that strikes me most about this album is how so many of the songs take unexpected turns - suddenly shifting tempos or keys, even styles - it's something he's done before and continues to do with great success. It also seems this album is more personal than his others; maybe it's because he wrote every single song himself, but I feel like we're getting a window into his life.

One More Mile - I love this song. At first I wasn't sure if Tim's vocal was bluesy enough to work it, but every time I listen to it I like it more. So jazzy and catchy, especially the way he sings the title - "one more mile."

Parachute - My favorite on the album. This is where Timothy sounds his most modern and it stands out from the other tracks. They picked right to make this the single, because it would fit right in on radio now. It's rare someone can put out a song that isn't quite what they've done before and still have it work. Terrific job. Little things I love: the way he stops for a beat because going into the chorus, the attitude/altitude lyrics, the metaphor of the parachute / heights entirely, in fact. The soaring plane at the opening, then the visual of him in the penthouse suite of a huge hotel looking down... terrific. I think it's the most sophisticated song on the album. Love it!

Friday Night - such a fun song; I've enjoyed it from the first hearing on MySpace. The lyrics are very cute - I especially like the "princess" and the "palace" lines. It's great how the melody goes from slow to peppy, matching the lyrics as they go from fighting to having a good time. Works for me!

Ella Jean - When I first heard this in Chicago, I immediately thought that the chorus sounded like it was lifted right out of a Beach Boys tune. When I got the album, I decided it was too simplistic and I didn't like it... but then, that chorus got stuck in my head for freaking DAYS. I'd just be buffing my nails or something when I'd find myself humming "Ella, Ella Jean" - it's gotta be doing something right! I do love how romantic and sweet it is. Lucky Jean!

White Boy from Sacramento - I don't usually go for "joke songs" where you get funny voices and all that, so this one had a strike against it going in, but you can't help but love the self-deprecating references and those ladies working it in the background make it even more fun!

Compassion - when the song starts out, my first reaction was "Snooze" - then it hit that "if I see the world as it really is..." segment and I immediately liked it better. Again, it's that unexpected twist that attracts me. His vocal on this song sounds very vulnerable and genuine, which is something that always lifts a song for me. He sells it. Suddenly, near the end, he pulls out the Beach Boys "ahhhhh" again! Always the unexpected.

Downtime - This plays great live but it doesn't strike me quite as much on the album as it did in Chicago. I think the verses get a little repetitive melodically, but then it comes to "Every now and then I gotta shut down" and goes from trudging to kicking back and feeling mellow. Then, I realized - that's exactly what the lyrics do. The first part is supposed to be a bit tiring so that you feel the relief of "downtime" as much as he does. Very effective thematically as a result.

Melancholy - This is the only song I didn't hear live before I heard it on the album, as he didn't play it in Chicago. It certainly achieves the sentiment of the title. I wonder if Timothy meant this to come off as the portrait of someone who feels so sorry for themselves that you are rolling your eyes and going "Get over yourself already?" I say this because even the lyrics admit the guy is self-absorbed and anyone who sighs "Oh, pitiful me" must have some sense of how melodramatic they're being (after all, the Zevon song certainly makes a joke out of it). Something to think about.

I Don't Mind - from the opening almost Charlie Brown-esque tuba you know you're in for something fun. It's catchy and enjoyable, and that carefree melody works with the lyrics well. His vocal not only sounds unfazed, it also has a hint of wry humor. The "misery loves company" lines are clever. I love the attitude of "Man, he is just being ridiculous, but I'm gonna let it roll off my back and do my thing." I bet Timothy lived that a few times while working with the Eagles! lol

Secular Praise - The song starts out slow, but when the Blind Boys of Alabama come in and make it really sound like a praise song, it brings the song up. The line "Gonna breathe it in" - what a great way to put it.

A Good Day - every time I hear this song, I like it more. It's very country, but that's cool with me - if it's well done, it's well done no matter what the genre. I think it has the most consistently clever lyrics of the album, right up there with Parachute. This is another song that got stuck in my head and I'd find myself randomly humming "some make a wish and some like to pray, but everybody just wants to have a good day!" I love the entire chorus - makes me feel good, and it's so catchy. Great way to end the album - with a smile!

sodascouts
10-30-2009, 09:35 PM
I wanted to add that I didn't read any reviews before I wrote my own. It's interesting to see where my opinions lined up with others - or didn't lol - and how I made some observations that others had noted as well.

This is an album that you don't have to be a hardcore Tim fan to like. I recommend everyone go get a copy!

10-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Well, I also wanted to get my review posted on Tim's birthday, but I have really had a difficult time deciding on the order that I like the songs on Expando. Like most others, I think it is great that Tim did this album exactly as he wanted and made it so personal. I decided to use the same scale and criteria that I have been using to rate other Eagles/solo albums (see below). Overall, I think this is a pretty strong album. I like every song on it. My only criticism is that I wish there was more diversity in the tempo of the tracks. I would have like to have seen 2 or 3 more uptempo rockers on the album just to mix it up a bit. I’ll list the songs in the order that I like them with the disclaimer that I reserve the right to change my mind at any time in the future. :wink: So after, careful deliberation, here I go …

I Love It (5)

Parachute (5) – Everything everyone has already said about this song. Just a great song and Graham Nash is fantastic.

Secular Praise (5) – The song is simply beautiful. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. Great lyrics, vocals, melody, and music.

White Boy From Sacramento (5) – This song is just fantastic, IMO. I love the way Tim varies his voice here, and his sense of humor shines. In addition, the songs rocks, and as I said earlier, I would like to have had a couple more of these.

Melancholy (5) – This song definitely seems to be the sleeper on the album. It’s getting very little recognition, but I absolutely love it. It is very melodic, and lyrically, I think just about anyone can relate to it. It doesn’t hurt that Tim’s vocals are incredible on this song. I wonder if it’s been hurt by the fact that this is the only song on the album that Tim didn’t perform in his live shows. I have no idea why he left it out. In any event, I seem to be in the minority here, but I like this song so much that I even bumped it ahead of Friday Night.

Friday Night (5) – Love this one too. I think the chorus takes this song to another level. As Tim often does, he changes the cadence so much when he breaks into “Slip into your best dress, paint your lips red” that it kinda takes you by a wonderful surprise.

I Really Like It (4)

A Good Day (4) – Even though I’m not that fond of country music, I really like this song a lot. Since the country-flavored music is not accompanied by dreaded country twang vocals, it doesn’t bother me. I love the lyrics and melody of the song.

I Don’t Mind (4) – I think the lyrics in this song are very clever. Love the way that nice people can tell someone off so politely. :laugh: However, I have to say that this song really played great live, but I don’t like it quite as much when I listen to it on the CD. (BTW - I wrote this before I read Soda's comments).

Downtime (4) – I have the same comment here as I did about I Don’t Mind. I really loved this live, but not as much listening to it on the CD. It’s still a good song, but was much better live, IMO. I like the chorus a lot better than the verses and I sure can relate to the sentiment. :nod:

One More Mile (4) – I like this song a lot, but have to put something at the bottom of the “I really like it” list. Just don’t like it as much as some of the others.

I Like It (3)

Ella Jean (3) –I actually laughed out loud when I read Soda’s comments about this because I am writing my review, and had a very similar experience. It’s not my favorite either, but the other morning I woke up and “I don’t much like it when you’re gone” kept playing through my brain, and wouldn’t leave. So I guess you’d have to say that it’s ‘catchy’. :)

Compassion (3) – My least favorite on the album, but I still like it. I just don’t like the melody quite as much as some of the others, and I’m not fond of the falsetto when he sings the word ‘compassion’. And when he breaks into the “ahhh’s” it does sound very ‘Beach Boyish’ to me, but this is one time when the change of cadence doesn’t work for me. I find it kind of distracting.

key:
5 - I love it
4 - I really like it
3 - I like it
2 - meh
1 - yikes

Koala
10-31-2009, 02:50 AM
As always, I know I repeat myself, but I must say I enjoy it again and again to read your detaild comments to each song! :thumbsup:

GlennLover
10-31-2009, 04:48 PM
Thanks for your reviews everyone. I`m just skimming them because I don`t have it yet & I don`t want to be influenced too much by the reviews. When I get it I`ll post mine. I don`t know, Christmas seems to be a long way off. My restraint is weakening. If it was in the stores around here I know I`d have to give in!

Maleah
10-31-2009, 10:22 PM
LOL GL I'm going through the same thing. Everybody always asks what I want for Christmas so I said this cd (and the LP) but it's getting hard to wait!!!

GlennLover
10-31-2009, 11:05 PM
LOL GL I'm going through the same thing. Everybody always asks what I want for Christmas so I said this cd (and the LP) but it's getting hard to wait!!!

We'll see if either one of us has enough willpower to wait until Christmas! :laugh:

Prettymaid
11-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Soda and Dreamer, I enjoyed reading your reviews.

Parachute seems to easily be right up there as a favorite for everyone.

Dreamer, you and I both agree that TBS's vocals on Melancholy are incredible! Best on the album.

Soda, I thought it was great that you and I both commented that he closed the album with A Good Day. It is a perfect way to end the album. It always leaves me feeling good!

And we all seem to agree that these songs are very personal and we have them stuck in our head at one time or another!

Brooke
11-01-2009, 05:43 PM
No willpower here, I can't take it anymore. I also had it on my Christmas list, but I just went to itunes and bought it there. Can't wait to get it on a cd and in my car! :spin:

eaglesvet
11-01-2009, 05:55 PM
I haven't the time to post a full CD review, but I want to say I'm enjoying reading the others. Dreamer and PM, the first time through the CD, I knew that Melancholy was one of my absolute favorites! I have no idea why he would omit this from the show...what a loss. And Dreamer, I do agree that some of the songs absolutely shone in the concert, whereas you don't get the exact same effect from the CD (though they are still good).

Prettymaid
11-03-2009, 09:19 AM
http://www.esdmusic.com/2009/11/02/timothy-b-schmit-expando/

tbs fanatic
11-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Finally broke down and downloaded it from iTunes. There is not one store in this town that has the CD - not ONE! I even waited, thinking maybe they get delayed shipments but Nooooooooooooo! How insane is that???????

Anyway, I shall wash away my anger with a cup of coffee and listen away. I shall soak in the songs and then give my two pence worth.:grooving:

luvthelighthouse
11-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Drive by posting... Now that I've had this for a while and listened to it numerous times, my thoughts and feelings are changing from the initial thoughts.

I really thought I wouldn't like Ella Jean, as it's kinda sappy... but really, I enjoy that song very much. It's such a fun sing along song, but I turn it off as he starts singing her name repetitively at the end.

I am finding Have A Good Day, is really up there as a favorite of mine. Now, I'm gonna just say it... I will be the lone (wo)man as I say, I skip Parachute every time. I find that I do not really like that song or One More Mile.

11-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Well, good for all of you who just purchased Expando. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

And ltl, as far as the review that TBF posted, I thought it was interesting that the reviewer doesn't even mention Parachute. While I don't agree with some of his assessments of the individual song, it's good to see a favorable review. As we always say, "different strokes for different folks". :thumbsup:

Brooke
11-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Well, I've got one listen to the album in and I really love it! With every song I'm thinking....."Tim?! Where have you been? Is it really you?" I'm just amazed! It's mostly so different for him!

I'll have to listen a few more times before I write a full review, but it's definitely a :thumbsup:

And just off the top of my head I love Parachute, Friday Night, Secular Praise, and White Boy. Like most everyone!

Prettymaid
11-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Congratulations Brooke on your 5000th post!!!

You said it Brooke! Where has he had all this bottled up? :hilarious:
I think it's so much better than anything I've heard from him before!

tbs fanatic
11-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Finally found some time to listen. First thoughts - like everyone, it seems, I like Parachute, Friday Night and Secular Praise. Also quite liked One More Mile. Need to listen a few more times to get these songs in my head but so far I'm definitely liking it :thumbsup:.

TimothyBFan
11-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Now here's a good review.

http://www.gjsentinel.com/hp/content/news/opinion/stories/2009/11/06/110609_OA4_Rock_Col.html

Brooke
11-06-2009, 02:47 PM
:cool: Good one!

Freypower
11-06-2009, 05:42 PM
What an excellent review. Now that's what I'm talking about (thank you Adam Savage of Mythbusters). :thumbsup:

nnhgirl
11-07-2009, 12:15 AM
This is not so much a review as it is random observations, but here is my take on Expando, for what it is worth.

One More Mile – The best line, to my mind, is “Well, I cleaned up the kitchen and it looks so good, I’m ready to live my life.” I can SO identify with that!!! I always feel as if I can take on anything as long as the kitchen is clean. And don’t you all get this mental picture of Timothy washing the dishes, wiping down the counters and being so pleased with himself? Woof.

Parachute – Love how the bass drives this one. And I agree 100% with those of you who have said that this would be a good one for the Eagles to do in concert. With Joe on lead guitar (mind you, no disrespect to Ben, who does a fine job) and everyone else joining in on harmony, I see no reason why this could not become a new fan favorite.

Friday Night – Starts out like a simple little folk song, but quickly morphs into an Irish pub song and back again. This one has got to be fantastic live.

Ella Jean – “Every now and then you’ve been on my mind. Not too much – just all the time.” Swoon. How many of you substitute your own name in the refrain? Never mind, you know who you are.

White Boy from Sacramento – Just go ahead and make fun of Love Will Keep Us Alive all you want. Paul Carrack is my buddy, and I don’t care. Besides, my voice is better than anything you got. I’m Timothy B. freakin’ Schmit, the White Boy from Sacramento, and I can laugh at myself right along with you. So there. Hey, who swiped my Jade East?!

Compassion – What a sweet, beautiful, loving man. That’s all I have to say.

Downtime – “And these shoes are killing me.” I think that explains the barefoot photos. Wonder if he gets pedicures?

Melancholy – We’ve all been there, and so has he. But that voice cuts me to the quick.

I Don’t Mind – For some reason, after “So heavy, the drama,” I keep wanting to sing “You should save it for yo’ momma.” But “self-inflicted trauma” is good, very good.

Secular Praise – See above under Compassion.

A Good Day – It appears our Timothy is not a morning person, since he needs a little time while he fills his cup. So I’m guessing the kitchen probably doesn’t get clean till at least mid-morning….

tbsfan
11-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Parachute – Love how the bass drives this one. And I agree 100% with those of you who have said that this would be a good one for the Eagles to do in concert. With Joe on lead guitar (mind you, no disrespect to Ben, who does a fine job) and everyone else joining in on harmony, I see no reason why this could not become a new fan favorite.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd played the guitar solo on Parachute. Ben's guitar solo is on White Boy From Sacramento. The Grand Junction Sentinel reviewer linked above got it wrong. Excellent review though, nnhgirl.

luvthelighthouse
11-07-2009, 11:12 AM
nnhgirl, I loved that! Light and fun. Yes, I'll admit, I have subsituted my own name a time a or two during EJ. :hilarious:

Also, long before I ever heard the song, I have always said, "I can't stand the drama. So much is self inficted trauma and theres no need for it". So, as you can imagine, my favorite line in that song has to be, "so heavy the drama, your self inflicted trauma". When I first heard it, I just stopped and started at the CD player, as if he was relating to my thoughts 100%.

sodascouts
11-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the review, nnhgirl! I love that line from One More Mile, too, even though the concept of a clean kitchen is alien to me. ;)

11-07-2009, 12:53 PM
nnhgirl, I loved reading your comments. They are funny, and I agree with most everything you said - especially about the WBFS. :thumbsup:

nnhgirl
11-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks to all for the generously kind comments. You make this really fun.

Prettymaid
11-09-2009, 12:09 PM
NNHG, your review had me grinning from ear to ear! I loved reading what touched you personally in each song. One little correction... it is Kenny Wayne Shepherd's superb guitar work that Joe would be playing if the Eagles were smart enough to put Parachute in their set list. :thumbsup:

nnhgirl
11-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Oops! Thanks for setting me straight, Prettymaid!

Koala
11-10-2009, 02:29 AM
ok, now my first (short) impressions after I heard the album one time,
for more was unfortunately still no time!

One More Mile: Love it from the first note
Parachute: A wonderful song
Friday Night: One of my Favorite songs.
White Boy From Sacramento: Just a fun song, I love Tims voice in this!When I first heard the song I must immediately thought of Joe, like the song.
Ella Jean: Not one of my Favorite songs but it is good, too!
Compasion: My least favorite on the album.
Downtime: It´s a good song
Melancholy: This is a very nice song
I Don't Mind: Like it a lot!
Secular Praise: Love it! Especially I love the chorus
A Good Day: I just love the song!

Prettymaid
11-10-2009, 08:56 AM
I think so far everyone here is liking the new cd!

Troubadour
11-10-2009, 09:05 AM
OK, I have to get this CD! It sounds fantastic.

Prettymaid
11-10-2009, 09:06 AM
OK, I have to get this CD! It sounds fantastic.

:yay::yay::yay:

Prettymaid
11-10-2009, 01:25 PM
This morning I woke up with the song Downtime in my head, but instead of Timothy's version I was hearing Bonnie Raitt doing it! What do you think?
Can you hear Bonnie covering Downtime?

sodascouts
11-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Hmm, interesting thought! I can see it working.

tbs fanatic
11-10-2009, 06:45 PM
OMG - the more I listen to this the more I love it. It really grows on you. The songs I have found myself putting on 'repeat' are 'One More Mile' (which I'm really loving now) and 'Parachute'. Which ones are on your 'repeat list'? Has your 'repeat list' changed?

Prettymaid
11-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Sometimes I repeat Parachute/Friday Night (lucky for me they're back to back!) But what really surprises me is that I'm not skipping any songs just yet!

sodascouts
11-10-2009, 07:15 PM
One More Mile, Parachute, I Don't Mind and A Good Day are on my repeat list now. Love them!

TimothyBFan
11-10-2009, 07:22 PM
White Boy, Parachute, Secular Praise, Friday Night & One More Mile for me.

Brooke
11-10-2009, 10:22 PM
This cd has not left my car cd player since I downloaded it! I really love it. White Boy was running through my head when I woke up this morning even though the radio alarm was blasting Abracadabra (Steve Miller)! It was a bit confusing! lol

Koala
11-11-2009, 02:55 AM
I must say, the long wait for the album was really worth it, it is simply fantastic!

I repeat One More Mile, Parachute, Friday Night and Secular Praise!

Prettymaid
11-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Koala I'm so glad you like it!

eaglesvet
11-11-2009, 12:25 PM
nnhgirl, loved your review. And yes, Friday Night absolutely SHINES live...unbelievable! I loved your description of it "morphing", because as you are watching it, it actually does so but you are not aware of it!

Troubadour
11-11-2009, 04:17 PM
I just ordered Expando from Amazon. I'm excited!

Prettymaid
11-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Good Troub! Have you listened to Parachute and Friday Night or any pieces of the others or are you waiting to be surprised?

Troubadour
11-11-2009, 04:26 PM
I haven't listened to any as of yet, so I think I might as well wait to be surprised! I'm going to unwrap it, sit down with a nice glass of something, and listen to it all the way through for the first time. Then repeat the process, and write my thoughts! I'm really anxious to receive it now.

I think, if Tim came on here and saw all of the sincere compliments and kind words that you guys have written about Expando, he would be beaming from ear to ear!

Prettymaid
11-11-2009, 04:31 PM
I haven't listened to any as of yet, so I think I might as well wait to be surprised! I'm going to unwrap it, sit down with a nice glass of something, and listen to it all the way through for the first time. Then repeat the process, and write my thoughts! I'm really anxious to receive it now.

I think, if Tim came on here and saw all of the sincere compliments and kind words that you guys have written about Expando, he would be beaming from ear to ear!

Awww, I wish I could have a nice glass of something with you while we listen to it together!

Maybe Tim has come on here. I would if I were him. You never know...

Troubadour
11-11-2009, 04:44 PM
One day we will. On your lovely decking, if possible... ;)

Prettymaid
11-11-2009, 04:54 PM
One day we will. On your lovely decking, if possible... ;)

:cheers: Cheers to that, my friend!

TimothyBFan
11-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Maybe Tim has come on here. I would if I were him. You never know...

:shock: I wonder what kinda girl he will think I am. :fear: :hilarious:

You know-that's a thought... instead of chat party where we watch a dvd-why can't we all pop in a cd (right into our computers that way) and chat over a glass of something? Thoughts anyone?

luvthelighthouse
11-11-2009, 05:21 PM
I'd be into chat w/out a video. Wine/Beer and a CD sound good to me!

sodascouts
11-11-2009, 06:25 PM
We did that for LROOE back when it first came out, and it was tons of fun. We definitely should do it again.

Troubadour
11-11-2009, 06:27 PM
I'm in!

EagleLady
11-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Me too

timfan
11-11-2009, 06:34 PM
I'm in for sure! Just let me know when! :)

nnhgirl
11-11-2009, 11:26 PM
FYI, Tim just posted Expando West Coast tour dates on his official site.

UK TimFan
11-12-2009, 12:29 AM
FYI, Tim just posted Expando West Coast tour dates on his official site.
Tickets to the San Francisco date $20. :partytime:
Air fare to 'Frisco from the UK about $650 (economy):weep::weep::weep:

Though my daughter did ask me earlier today what I wanted for Christmas....... Unfortunately I have a feeling her reply to that suggestion might be :nope:

Brooke
11-13-2009, 03:11 PM
I've been trying to listen to Expando as much as possible so I can write my review and what happens? My car cd player keeps quitting! This is usually where I do most of my cd listening, so it's really making me mad. It looks like other measures will have to be taken. But I'm really bummed about this. My car is only 2 years old and it has a really nice stereo system! Grrrr.

As for Expando, I really love it. I (tried) to subject my husband to it last week. (My car, my music!) He says I just like it cause Tim is an Eagle! This is not true! I really like different kinds of music and like to try new stuff. He likes what he likes (classic rock and a bit of country) and does not have an open mind about it. I really thought he would, so I am disappointed. Oh well!

Prettymaid
11-13-2009, 03:21 PM
I know. I get the feeling that my hubby could take it or leave it too. I think it definitely helps that we're on the board every single day, looking at pictures, keeping up with them and literally waiting here for them to do something! :wink:

luvthelighthouse
11-13-2009, 03:24 PM
He says I just like it cause Tim is an Eagle! This is not true!

You know, I was wondering if "I" only liked it because Tim is an Eagle, but I don't think so. It's no secret, I'm not a fan of most of his past solo work... but I do love old Poco. I really think that Expando is great. I can listen to the whole CD w/out saying, "I don't really like this song"... of course I like some more than others, but overall, it's good... really, really good! I even took a few days break to see how I'd feel when I came back to it... still love it. Granted, it's only 3 wks old and I may tire of some songs, but overall, I honestly feel that since this came from a geniune place inside him, that's what makes it so great!

Troubadour
11-16-2009, 08:09 AM
My copy of Expando has just arrived! Yippee! I'll listen to it and write down my thoughts as soon as possible.

Troubadour
11-17-2009, 08:39 AM
OK. I have only listened to this album through once, on my headphones, but wow - I am already looking forward to filling the living room with this CD today! It made me smile right from the very first notes. I just love the folky, funky, laid-back style Tim's got going on on this record. It's exactly my kind of thing. I already have a few initial favourites - namely, One More Mile, Parachute, Friday Night, Downtime and A Good Day. Quite often, the beginnings of the songs drift along nicely, and then the chorus kicks in, and really takes you by storm. Then you KNOW what the song's about, and you want more.

One More Mile - As soon as this track started, I began to smile. It's exactly my kind of music. Love the folk sound and the won't-be-beaten lyrics. Tim's voice sounds great on this track. Very funky.

Parachute - I can tell this is going to be a favourite. Definitely one of the most commercial tracks - but in a good way. It does sound quite CSN-esque, and I love it for that. It's both easy to listen to, and rocky. It's got the soothing sound and melody of CSN songs, with the bluesy guitar in the background. I love how it launches into the chorus. Fantastic!

Friday Night - I love this song! It drifted along nicely at first, but then it hit the chorus and I just smiled. It's such a fun song, but so romantic too. I think Soda's spot-on. Tim takes you on a journey with this song, hence the slow, slightly dejected first verses, then the verse with the bells in the background (they really help to conjure up the idea of the 'warm breeze floating through the window') and then the folky, upbeat 'slip into your best dress' part. I really, really like it.

Ella Jean - My opinions on this seem to be similar to others that I have read. Very sweet, likable and melodic. I don't think it will be a favourite, but that's just because there are other fantastic songs on this album. This is a lovely, personal, romantic song. A nice album track.

White Boy From Sacramento - I was quite looking forward to this one, as it seemed to be pretty popular amongst other Borderers. I like it, but I have to say, I wasn't overly thrilled by it until around 3 and a half minutes, and then wow, it really kicks in! From that point on, it's the song I wanted it to be. Funky and fun. I like the self-deprecating, humourous lyrics, and the voice is something different. Good on Tim!

Compassion - I think this will be a grower. It kind of slipped past me upon first listen, although the way he sings 'compassion' stuck in my head. I like the sensitive, honest lyrics and the harmonies that kick in at around 3.00, followed by 'I could be your lover...' That raises the song to a new level for me.

Downtime - Another one of my initial favourites. I crave time to myself, peace and quiet, the simple things in life, so I totally know where he's coming from with the lyrics. I love the more upbeat sound of the chorus. It makes his 'downtime' a really welcome, positive thing. The kind of experience that makes you feel warm and happy just thinking about it. It's like a welcome relief, contrasted with the deeper, repetitive nature of the verses. I love this one.

Melancholy - When this first started, I had a rendition of Monty Python's 'I'm So Worried' in my head. Where a guy with a droning voice is singing "I'm so worried about whether I should go on, or whether I should just stop. (pause) I'm so worried about whether I should have stopped..." LOL. As Soda suggested, I wondered whether Tim meant for it to sound a bit melodramatic and self-pitying or not. Either way, I like it. And, even if it is self-indulgent, I've definitely been there. I'll need to give it a few more listens to get a true feel for it, I think.

I Don't Mind - This is something different, and I love the fact that Tim has interjected this kind of humour into his work. He's also played around with different musical styles and sounds. The opening was totally unexpected, which is great! I expect most of us can identify with the lyrics. Sometimes you really have to reach a point where you let other people's moods wash over you. There's nothing else you can do, unless you want to allow them to spoil your day. Having said that, I like the fact that he is honest about this person's faults, but he finishes up by saying they'll always be his friend. He wants them to be happy - he can have that kind of goodwill because he's happy himself.

Secular Praise - This is just gorgeous. The lyrics are wonderful. I love the descriptions of childhood, and phrases like 'Superman strong.' It's understated, but inspirational. As with a lot of songs on this album, it builds in strength as it goes on. I'll be listening to this many more times, I know.

A Good Day - I like the counting at the beginning. That immediately gives it a 'live' feel, and a little sense of fun. There are some great lyrics - 'don't say a word 'cause I just woke up', 'we can talk about anything you like' and 'we'll make love 'til we can't see straight.' I love Tim's voice on this song. Sweet, melodic and funky. I think this is a great choice for the final track. It leaves you on an upbeat note. I love how he sings 'some make a wish and some like to pray, but everybody just wants to have a good day.' So true!

This album has really lifted my spirits after a week or so at home. He comes across as a really sensitive, compassionate lyricist and vocalist who is willing to wear his heart on his sleeve. The lyrics aren't sappy though - they're honest, but optimistic. I love his laid-back, soothing melodies and the sense of fun that he brings to some of the songs. I didn't realise this album would be so folky and funky, and I love it for that! I'd love to have this album on in the car, as I'm driving out to the beach to get some 'downtime'. It kind of helps you to see the bigger picture and really focuses on the simple things in life. Like, 'hey, we all get down sometimes, we all stare at the TV and wonder what the hell we're doing... but you just need to get out there, however hard it is, and breathe in that fresh air. I promise you, you'll feel better. We're all in this together.' I want to give Tim a big hug! I genuinely love this album already. It's going to be played an awful lot in the coming days, I can promise you.

:thumbsup:

Prettymaid
11-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Lou, I wish I had more time to expand(o) on your review. I love that you love it! When I have more time I will be able to reply in more depth. For now, thank you for expressing your thoughts so honestly. You have a wonderful way of doing that.

Troubadour
11-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks, Cathy. I really appreciate that.

I'm listening to Expando again. (This is the third or fourth time now.) Parachute gets better and better. Downtime is absolutely one of my favourites though. When the chorus kicks in... "Every now and then I gotta shut down..." Aaaah. I love it!

tbs fanatic
11-18-2009, 12:17 PM
I now have Expando playing in the background every time I come to The Border :grooving: Just love, love, loving it :grooving:.

Brooke
11-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Finally sat down last night and got my thoughts together for this! I really love this album and I’ve yet to take it out of my cd player since I got it. (Although the cd player only works part of the time!)

One More Mile-Love it, love Tim’s voice! His voice surprised me so much here! It’s funky, folksy. The line “I even got my pocket knife” makes me laugh because I can identify with it. My husband and son always carry a pocket knife and are avid collectors. They even buy each other one for Christmas every year. It brings Timothy down to earth for me and makes him real.

Parachute-Love it! I love Graham Nash’s background vocals and Kenny Wayne Shepherd’s guitar playing. As many have said, it reminds me of a CS & N song.

Friday Night-Love it! A feel good song, kinda folksy. Makes me think of a hoedown or squaredance out in the barn! My sentiments for a Friday night; drop everything, work is done! :thumbsup:

Ella Jean-Love it! So sweet. I could sing this song; it’s about me and my husband! He works away from home a lot and I’m left to deal with everything and I just hate him being gone. I love the harmonica. I’m not crazy about it when he goes in to the falsetto in the chorus, but I can live with it. I can’t help but laugh when he sings about being a ‘hermit man’. It’s me through and through!

White Boy From Sacramento-Timothy B. Schmit? :shock: I couldn’t believe it when I heard it! Who knew he could sing in that low key?! Love it! Funky! Really love his reference to LWKUA! You do sing it fine, Timothy!

Compassion-A very pretty song. Love the humming after the 2nd part of the 1st verse. Not a favorite, but very nice anyway. After the first 5 songs being so different, this is more like Timothy.

Downtime-great song. Lots of good thoughts there. Love the chorus. Yeah! Woo hoo!

Melancholy-I’ve certainly been there! Nice song, but not a favorite.

I Don’t Mind-Love it! The tuba cracks me up here. And I have to think that he's had some of these thoughts touring with the Eagles all these years!

Secular Praise-Love it! Absolutely beautiful. Gives me goosebumps and nearly makes me cry. Reminds me so much of my childhood. The Blind Boys From Alabama lend such beautiful background vocals.

A Good Day-Love it! Very funky again. I love the way he sings “later” and “outer” dragging the r’s. A bit of a country twang there, too, which I don't mind. And I love that harmonica again.

I agree with everyone that thinks Timothy really dug down and has reflected on his life here. I think it's his best album by far. I don't think I can really pick a favorite. I'm singing along with all of them. And some of you mentioned they get stuck in your head. I'm having that happen, too, and it's different ones, not the same one.

One thing I would like to know is when he wrote these songs; was it recently or have some of them been laying around a while?

Prettymaid
11-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Brooke, I think in one of his recent interviews Timothy said some of these songs are over three years old!

sodascouts
11-19-2009, 03:26 AM
These reviews are great - I love reading them. I agree that this album is the finest of his career. It's little wonder that fans who may not have given much thought to his solo career before are now taking notice. I just wish it had more exposure!

TimothyBFan
11-19-2009, 08:06 AM
Good point Soda-why hasn't there been more exposure? I really think if they could get it out there that more people would discover him. Maybe more shows will help. Has anyone seen it much in the stores yet? I haven't really been anywhere to check myself.

BTW-Woke up with "Hallelujah, Gonna shout it out, gonna say it again..." going thru my head this morning. :hilarious: I had to make a long trip last night to pick up hubby and had the cd playing the whole 2+ hours I was in the car.

Prettymaid
11-19-2009, 08:16 AM
We were in Best Buy last weekend and I specifically looked to see if there were any Expando cds and there was one.

I have also been thinking about its exposure, specifically getting Parachute on the radio. Is there something we all can do? Is it as simple as calling or emailing our local radio stations? If so I think we should all do it. We, in our own little way, can help get Expando the exposure it deserves.

TimothyBFan
11-19-2009, 08:24 AM
I'm covering that here. Already emailed my request to WAOR in South Bend but to no avail. Anyways, I haven't heard it yet or gotten a response. Of course they are probably still mad at me because of the whole "book" thing on Timothy's birthday.:hilarious: When I got home from my surgery that day, I emailed them to set them straight that it wasn't a book but a cd he had just released. I have also emailed them about a couple other things like why they always play the same Eagles tunes and nothing off of LROOE or something other than HC, PEF or TIE. :brickwall: They might be getting a bit sick of me and not even looking at my emails now. :hilarious:

Prettymaid
11-19-2009, 08:39 AM
Keep up the good work Willie! And you have inspired me to get off of my butt and do something.

EagleLady
11-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Cathy your avatar is hilarious :hilarious:

Prettymaid
11-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Downtime is absolutely one of my favourites though. When the chorus kicks in... "Every now and then I gotta shut down..." Aaaah. I love it!

A cute story from the Chicago concert I haven't told yet...

Soda and I wore comfortable shoes throughout the day and went to the car and changed into our cute rockin' boots before the show. Now remember, "before the show" for us was 5 hours before the show, because we wanted to be near the front of the line so we could be close to the stage. Mission accomplished, but by the time Timothy started singing Downtime we were in a little pain. We hadn't heard the whole song before, and when he sang "and these shoes are killing me" we looked right at each other as if "Don't we know it!" :ack:

ETA: Willie was a real trooper and wore her boots the whole day with no problem!

EagleLady
11-19-2009, 02:29 PM
It's like he was speaking your mind Cathy :lol:

Troubadour
11-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Aw! I love it. Wish I could've been there with you guys. I took a gorgeous pair of wedges to Oklahoma, but chickened out when it came to wearing them to the shows because I thought we might be wandering around the casinos beforehand... Boy, was I right! I settled on my cowboy(girl) boots, and they were perfect. Still cute, but comfy. I couldn't risk tottering over on the grass at Downstream and spilling my beer! ;)

Ahhh, memories.

Back to Downtime... I've been playing it so much today. It was blasting into my ears on the bus to work at 6.45 this morning! It just makes me smile.

Prettymaid
11-19-2009, 07:58 PM
I couldn't risk tottering over on the grass at Downstream and spilling my beer! ;)

No matter what, if beer is spilled always blame the shoes! :wink:

Lou, it's so interesting to hear your love for Downtime. I wondered which one you'd like the best. I love it too. Can you pick out Kid Rock's vocal or Dwights? I can hear Dwight's but not Kid Rock's. I love the little bit of drums before the chorus too.

luvthelighthouse
11-19-2009, 10:12 PM
PM, when I first heard Downtime, all I could hear was Kid Rock. Now, I tend to hear more of Dwight. Isn't that strange? I wonder how it is that the ear can hear different things at different times.

Downtime is one of my favorites too. I love that chorus!

sodascouts
11-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Soda and I wore comfortable shoes throughout the day and went to the car and changed into our cute rockin' boots before the show. Now remember, "before the show" for us was 5 hours before the show, because we wanted to be near the front of the line so we could be close to the stage. Mission accomplished, but by the time Timothy started singing Downtime we were in a little pain. We hadn't heard the whole song before, and when he sang "and these shoes are killing me" we looked right at each other as if "Don't we know it!" :ack:

ETA: Willie was a real trooper and wore her boots the whole day with no problem!

lol! Yep! And I also think Tim doesn't know what the phrase "these shoes are killing me" really means unless he's experienced the pain that is high-heeled boots for an entire evening!

TimothyBFan
11-20-2009, 08:45 AM
I had no problem with the high heel boots---till I took them off about 2 am--then I thought my feet were going to fall off. :laugh:

On the subject of Downtime. Last night we were talking about what was going on this weekend. Saturday Larry has to work and I have to take my Mom out for the Thanksgiving shopping and my own shopping for Dillon coming home etc. Larry asked what was going on on Sunday. I told him nothing, it would be time for a little Downtime. Then I chuckled when I realized what I had said. He asked me what was funny told him nothing he'd get. He just shook his head at me. Knowing Larry, he knows what it had something to do with.

TimothyBFan
01-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Just got this in Google Alerts. Not quite sure what the hell he's talking about or whether he likes it or not and haven't got the time right now to try to decipher it either. :headscratch:

http://www.proposemusic.com/timothy-b-schmit-expando/

pueblo47
01-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Geez, I got lost in all the big words and grand phrases, lol. Guess it's a good review of Expando but I'm not sure:rockguitar:. This guy is kind of wordy and dances around getting to the point....if there is a point to this rambling. Just my opinion.....

Freypower
01-06-2010, 06:03 PM
It's a translation. You can tell that because it's so stilted. My guess from a quick glance at a couple of other reviews is that it was originally German.

pueblo47
01-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Thanks, I was thinking I was one of the unenlightened ignorant unwashed public<G>cuz I couldn't figure it out at first reading and the next 3 times either.

GlennLover
01-06-2010, 07:42 PM
I didn't get Expando for Christmas so I ordered it from Amazon. It arrived yesterday & I LOVE IT !!!!! EVERY TRACK!! :guitar::inlove:

Troubadour
01-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Awww, that is fantastic, Ann! Thrilled to hear it.

TimothyBFan
01-07-2010, 08:29 AM
Thanks, I was thinking I was one of the unenlightened ignorant unwashed public<G>cuz I couldn't figure it out at first reading and the next 3 times either.

Boy-you and I both! :hilarious:

luvthelighthouse
01-07-2010, 11:37 AM
I was lost trying to figure out the proper context of all the 50 cent words, that I basically didn't pay much attention to the review.

If it's a translation, at least that makes sense... and not just idiot sitting around with a thesaurus. :)

Freypower
01-07-2010, 06:29 PM
No person writing in English would write such gibberish as 'Expando can satisfy a small welcomed dawdling is essentially the product of a purposefully energetic flatlining'.

luvthelighthouse
01-07-2010, 10:39 PM
You might be surprised! Some people like to sound fancier than they are. :hilarious:

pueblo47
01-07-2010, 11:17 PM
People like that don't make many friends:thumbsup:. Nobody likes to be patronized....me, for instance.:)

I forgot to mention this: I found a VHS movie called Scenes From The Goldmine 1987 on ebay the other day and Tim has a small part in it, playing a guitarist named Dennis. When I get it, probably next week, I'll convert it to DVD. Has anyone out there seen it? I don't think it's an Academy Award movie but Steve Railsback plays the leader of a band with all the problems we're familiar with:thumbsup:.

TimothyBFan
01-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Really strange you should bring up that movie. I was filling out some pages in my Music Listography book the other day and music soundtracks was one of the categories. While I do it, I really research stuff online & in my Itunes etc (taking this book waaaayy to seriously) anyways, when I was doing a soundtrack search, that movie came up. Hadn't thought of it for YEARS/DECADES!! I remember seeing it in the 80's and it was cheesy!!! But don't ask me about it because I don't really remember it or even about Tim's part that much tho I was aware that he was in it at the time (probably the only reason I saw it).

If you get a chance when you convert it to dvd-I hope you post some screen shots.

Prettymaid
01-08-2010, 10:16 AM
I didn't get Expando for Christmas so I ordered it from Amazon. It arrived yesterday & I LOVE IT !!!!! EVERY TRACK!! :guitar::inlove:

Ann, I'm so glad you finally got Expando. It's great, isn't it? If you can, will you come back to this thread and put your favorites and what you like about them? I love reading others' thoughts.

Freypower
01-08-2010, 05:41 PM
You might be surprised! Some people like to sound fancier than they are. :hilarious:

It isn't a question of trying to sound 'fancy'. The line I quoted makes no sense in basic English. If you want to sound 'fancy' you at least use correct English. When did you ever see a phrase like 'small welcomed dawdling' 'or 'purposefullly energetic flatlining'?

If it's a translation, which I am sure it is, then there is no 'patronising' going on - just a very bad rendering of the original text into English.

For example near the end when it says 'you can't error the frankness in the man's delivery' - if it were orignally written in English it would have said 'you can't fault...'. 'Error' is not a verb.

I tried to find out where the site originates but I don't know how to do that - on the face of it proposemusic.com would appear to be a United States site. How to explain the appallingly bad English, then?

GlennLover
01-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Yes, I'll do that when I have time. Right now, "One More Mile" is the song that keeps getting stuck in my head.

Koala
01-18-2010, 02:30 AM
Today I found this very little review

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/album-timothy-b-schmit-expando-universal-1870693.html (http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/album-timothy-b-schmit-expando-universal-1870693.html)

carol7lynn
01-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Today I found this very little review

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/album-timothy-b-schmit-expando-universal-1870693.html (http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/album-timothy-b-schmit-expando-universal-1870693.html)

I had to look up the word muso-thought it was misspelled. It means musician. Why didn't the guy just say musician? And, what about the phrase "setting into"? Did you make a typo there. Anyway, I am not impressed with Nick's review :computer:which for me was sort of like spending time with an ex-spouse of an ex-friend. :fear:LOL

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGal

Freypower
01-18-2010, 05:37 PM
The term 'muso' for 'musician' has been around a long time. Perhaps it's more common in Europe. The other phrase CL queried is 'settling into' (no typo). But CL, you didn't notice the most glaring error of all: 'former' member of the Eagles.

Once again it looks like it may have been translated because who would use the world 'wonderment' to describe someone's voice.

TimothyBFan
02-03-2010, 01:53 PM
I think I love this reviewer!!!

http://showbiz.euvue.co.uk/a-single-eagle-flies-high/

Brooke
02-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Nice! Breathe it in!

Freypower
02-03-2010, 06:09 PM
That is excellent. How nice to think that it's from the UK.

Koala
02-07-2010, 02:08 PM
A german EXPANDO Review
http://www.monstersandcritics.de/artikel/201005/article_171442.php/CD-Kritik-Expando-von-Timothy-B-Schmit
The translation is by me, then, as always, errors can occur

Timothy B. who? The bass player for the Eagles presented a relaxed roots-rock album.
Actually, everybody knows the Eagles. However, if one asked for the name of the bassist, only a few would probably come on the name Timothy B. Schmit. He held and also keeps mostly in the background if the Westcoast legends make happy the big Locations of this world around Don Henley and Glenn Frey. With his fifth solo album has let itself Schmit more than eight-year time; commercial pressure seems to be relaxed Eagle already long they are no longer exposed. Accordingly, celebrates the man with friendly colleagues his new work 'Expando'.
Keb Mo plucks his Dobro in 'One More Mile' which hops bass grinning on a leg up and down, and Timothy B. Schmit just seems to be glad that people call in like Benmont Tench (Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers), Graham Nash (Crosby, Stills, Nash), Beach Boys arranger van Dyke parks and even Kid Rock and give her mustard in addition. The latter enters service than background singer in 'Downtime' what does not strike, fortunately.Then would you prefer to enjoy the distinctive falsetto of the master himself in 'Ella Jean' and hear the sad blow to Harp.
Or 'Parachute' which would have got hold a Pole position also on the last Eagles album - the harmony arrangements and the guitarsoli make the song for the climax of the album.
What one cannot maintain 'I Don't Mind' and sacred in 'Secular Praise' unfortunately. Here Mr. Schmit, unfortunately, loses a little the road holding , but this makes the rest of the album for the most part up for it.

TimothyBFan
02-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Or 'Parachute' which would have got hold a Pole position also on the last Eagles album - the harmony arrangements and the guitarsoli make the song for the climax of the album.

Apparently we're not the only ones that think this would've been a good one for the Eagles. I have been wondering if this is one of the songs that Timothy took to the table that was rejected by the powers that be. Would love to know which ones were.

Koala
02-26-2010, 03:03 AM
In an article new albums were introduced under it was also Expando! Here the part from Expando:

Timothy B. Schmit with "Expando" has already released his fifth solo album and in Germany has hardly anyone registered it.
Although Schmit is the bassist of the Eagles, and he recording with the cream of the US-American music scene. Keb Mo is just at the start as Benmont Tench from the Heartbreakers, Graham Nash, Van Dyke Parks or Kid Rock. All in all, is the absolutely relaxed album from a musician who to nobody more must prove something, and Schmit not only plays good bass, he also has voice.

Nothing new, but nice to see if Timothy B. Schmit is mentioned in the German press!

02-26-2010, 12:34 PM
I agree Koala. Hope Tim continues to get lots of mentions throughout Europe. :thumbsup:

Koala
03-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Another german articel:

Even without the Eagles good: Timothy B. Schmit

At the legendary country-rock band he plays bass and sings great ballads such as "I Can not Tell You Why". His new solo album is called "expando".
With the Eagles, he made world career, his solo recordings, however, remained almost unknown: Timothy B. Schmit (62),Bassist and occasional singer of one of the most successful bands in the world, places with "expando" before the fifth album of his career.

His debut was in 1984 during the long Eagles break - with the LP "of Playin' It Cool".Three years later followed "Timothy B." with the only Top-40-Single-Hit of his career ''Boys Night Out'' (in the USA place 29).Both albums nevertheless managed to jump into the top 200 of the American charts, far away from the millions of copies,what the Eagles had reached.

Schmit still let hear from oneself again: Tell Me Truth" (1990) and "Feed The Fire" (2001), those albums thrilled only West Coast and Eagles fans however, in addition, it became quietly around the gifted musician with the beautifully soft voice, he recorded in the early 1970s with the country rock band Poco many good albums!

The written by himself and produced new album "Expando" is one of the most personal and musically diverse of his solo career. " Expando containing' growth and expansion, and that is what symbolizes the music on this album for me," Schmit said in an interview.
The complete album was recorded in Schmit's own studio at his home near Los Angeles. Other musicians were present like Keb' Mo', Graham Nash, Kid Rock, The Blind Boys of Alabama, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Garth Hudson, Van Dyke Parks, Dwight Yoakam, Benmont Tench and Timothy's son Ben. Result: A good worth listening album to from the old school!

03-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the article and translation, Koala! Love to see Tim continuing to get a little bit of press!

TimothyBFan
03-16-2010, 02:15 PM
Here's a nice mention I found thru google alerts.

http://legalschnauzer.blogspot.com/2010/03/in-praise-of-secular-praise-and-alabama.html

Freypower
04-09-2010, 06:17 PM
There is an ad for Expando in the current edition of the British satirical magazine Private Eye, of all places. It says 'as seen on breakfast TV'. My husband got a bit of a shock when he saw it.

Troubadour
04-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Ah, good old Private Eye!

tbs fanatic
04-10-2010, 04:21 PM
I can not understand the 'non attention' Tim is getting over here. There is just no excuse. '...invisible..' is a good word to describe it. It's inexplicable. Especially considering how well he is doing on the airwaves in England.

TimothyBFan
04-12-2010, 07:12 AM
Have nothing to add except :brickwall:.

Troubadour
10-11-2010, 06:32 AM
At work yesterday, one of my colleagues started talking to me about Expando. I think I've mentioned him before - he's a big Eagles fan, and he knows that I am, too. Anyway, he said that he got Tim's album for his birthday a couple of weeks ago from his brother. Apparently his brother hasn't stopped talking about it for months! My colleague said he really liked it so far, especially Parachute. It was just cool to be reminded of it, and to hear that somebody else enjoyed Tim's songs. I, of course, told him all about how fantastic Tim was at his show in London. Anything to spread the word. :thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
10-11-2010, 07:04 AM
Feeling the Timothy love!!! :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
10-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Expando is still selling! And people are still loving it!

I think I posted this at the time, but I gave Expando to my brother for Christmas last year, and he made a point to tell me a month or so later how much he was enjoying it! Share the love, that's what I say!

rcknalwys
05-14-2011, 04:24 PM
:partytime:I waited until I FINALLY got Expando to read everyone's comments about it and now that it's here, I am enjoying reading them to see how they compare to my feelings. I have only listened to the album once, which is taking a lot of restraint on my part of course, but on first listen I love it! WBFS is so funny and I can relate to it because I grew up there also at the same time so it really takes me back. Like many have mentioned, SP raises the hair on my arms, especially when he sings "halallujah". Before I can possibly give any further thoughts, I am forced to listen to it again, oh and again and quite possibly again....so this is "to be continued...."

05-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Becky, glad you're enjoying Expando and can't wait to hear more about your thoughts on the album. Speaking for myself, I love it! And just in case you overlooked this, we played an Expando Survivor game a few months after its release so you may be interested in reading that thread as well. Here's the link ...

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2236

sodascouts
05-16-2011, 03:01 AM
I'm interested to read more of your thoughts, too. It's hard to believe Expando has been out a year and a half now!

Prettymaid
05-16-2011, 08:50 AM
Thanks for reviving this thread RA. I'm excited to hear more!