PDA

View Full Version : Heart

MikeA
10-21-2009, 09:09 AM
For those who may not be that familiar with the Wilson sisters, Nancy is the one with the guitar <LOL>.

Here is a great interview with her where she divulges information about the career of "Heart" including her "influences", her part in the sky rocketing of "Heart" and also her career as one who has scored more music for The Big Screen than you might have realized!

Good Interview:

http://www.believermag.com/issues/200708/?read=interview_wilson

sodascouts
10-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Interesting. Thanks for posting it, Mike!

Brooke
10-22-2009, 11:01 AM
I didn't know until recently that she was married to Cameron Crow!

TimothyBFan
10-22-2009, 11:15 AM
Love the part where they talk about the tour bus scene in Almost Famous and Tiny Dancer comes on. That's always been my favorite part of that movie also.

Nancy and Ann are both real class acts!! :bow: Along with Stevie, they are the best women in rock n roll!!! JMHO!

MikeA
10-22-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm probably repeating myself here. Seems like I mentioned it once before about "Heart". But it REALLY stuck in my mind and the interview sort of made reference to it with a remark that Nancy made about "augmentation".

It was on that TV Reality show called "Rockstar Supernova" where I first heard of Dilana.

I do not remember which member of the "superstar" band it was who was critiqueing one of the female contestants. She was dressed in a very "revealing" costume, picked up the microphone and immediately started undulating eventually ending up practically doing a lap-dance on the lead guitarist.

The critique was that such action was totally demeaning and absolutely unnecessary. He gave an illustration of female rockers who did NOT rely on "SEX" to become prominent and used in that illustration BOTH of the Wilson sisters of Heart. He pointed out that you would never see them relying on anything other than talent. He went on to say they were a really "class act" and were great icons to emulate.

I thought that was high praise indeed coming from the guys who were looking for a "frontman". I have a lot of respect and admiration for "Heart". And, they are STILL DOING IT!

Brooke
10-22-2009, 01:43 PM
What a great interview! Thanks Mike!

MaryCalifornia
12-20-2013, 01:24 AM
I was just on a cable TV channel called "AXS TV" and Heart will be playing a Christmas day show from Seattle on that channel, along with some special guests like Sammy Hagar and some others. It is on at 8:00 p.m. EST.

Also, I watched Fast Times at Ridgemont High for the millionth time, and I just noticed that the pretty lady in the convertible waving at Judge Reinhold when he's wearing the pirate hat is Nancy Wilson! I also noticed for the first time from the end credits that Mr. Vargas' wife is played by Lana Clarkson, the actor that Phil Spector killed :(.

luna65
12-20-2013, 01:48 AM
As it's that time of year I always recommend A Lovemongers' Christmas to enjoy Ann & Nancy singing beautiful seasonal songs. My favorite is "How Wonderful."

Have to say, though, that I was a bit disappointed in Fanatic; I appreciate that A&N are continuing to make new music whether they're considered culturally relevant or not, but compared to Jupiter's Daughter and Red Velvet Car, I was surprised that Fanatic didn't really grab me, and this is coming from someone who loves Private Audition and Passionworks, which are considered their most obscure/unloved albums.

Midnight_Flyer
02-26-2014, 04:18 PM
Heart are awesome :D

sodascouts
02-27-2014, 04:07 PM
A couple of my friends are trying to get me to go on a "Women Who Rock" cruise in November that features Heart, Emmylou Harris, and the Indigo Girls among others. I'm not interested because the price is pretty steep, but I bet many hardcore Heart fans would find it worth the money!

Thirsty&Hot
02-27-2014, 10:25 PM
A couple of my friends are trying to get me to go on a "Women Who Rock" cruise in November that features Heart, Emmylou Harris, and the Indigo Girls among others. I'm not interested because the price is pretty steep, but I bet many hardcore Heart fans would find it worth the money!

that sounds awesome! but if you think prices are steep, I'm sure I would agree!

Brooke
02-28-2014, 12:58 PM
It would really be cool to go to something like that! And Soda, you fit the mold for 'women who rock'! :lol:

bluefeather
03-11-2014, 11:58 AM
here is a really classy tribute to one of Heart's main influences http://youtu.be/mf2O3OAQjng

WalshFan88
03-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Just watched their latest performance on Palladia the other night. They are one of those bands I really hope to get to see live. Nancy Wilson is an amazing rhythm guitarist and Ann Wilson is one my favorite rock n' roll vocalists ever along with Stevie Nicks. Nancy is my favorite though in Heart. :hilarious: But I'm a guitarist so I'm biased. ;)

I was playing guitar the other night and I had this riff in my head and started playing it, only to find out later that it was "Even It Up". I love the way she plays rhythm guitar, much like Keith Richards or Malcolm Young... And not to forget her stage antics and energy! The kick she does during Crazy On You is amazing.

rick endres
03-18-2014, 09:22 AM
Ah, yes - Ann and Nancy - the Wilson sisters. Incredible musicians/singers and drop-dead gorgeous. Back in my misspent youth, they inspired many an interesting mental...scenario. :blush:

bluefeather
03-18-2014, 09:50 AM
:hilarious::nahnah:I can imagine that Rick

WalshFan88
03-27-2015, 02:44 PM
Just saw them last Friday.

OMG - SO good... My 2nd favorite concert after HOTE Eagles show.

The vocals were stunning, the guitar work was incredible, and Nancy was stunning as well. Lots of cool guitars between her and Craig Bartock, the lead player.

There is a LOT of groove in their uptempo rockin' tunes. From four-on-the-floor stuff like Straight On to the galloping riff of Barracuda.

I tend to like Straight On, Kick It Out, Even It Up, and Heartless the most - even more than Crazy On You, Magic Man, and Barracuda. The exception as usually I prefer the biggest hits in a band.

Those songs I mentioned have a good head-bopping, gotta move groove.

I'm such a fan of the 80s stuff too. Alone gave me CHILLS and goosebumps when Ann sang the choruses. Such a tremendous voice.

Here's a pic of the sisters:

http://i60.tinypic.com/11splhx.jpg

Glennsallnighter
03-27-2015, 02:53 PM
Sounds like a fantastic concert Austin. Glad you enjoyed them. I think I saw them in Dublin around 1990 if I'm not mistaken

Brooke
03-30-2015, 11:55 AM
Austin, glad you had a good time! I so wish I could have gone to that show, the closest one to me this tour.

So, obviously they didn't take your camera away! Did they have camera nazis around? Any other rules about standing or sitting? :wink:

WalshFan88
03-30-2015, 02:31 PM
Austin, glad you had a good time! I so wish I could have gone to that show, the closest one to me this tour.

So, obviously they didn't take your camera away! Did they have camera nazis around? Any other rules about standing or sitting? :wink:

Haha you are just trying to get me stirred up aren't you. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

No camera nazis, "light" security, and no rules!

If you see any pics or vids of the audience at any show - everyone has their phones out and is taking pics, taking videos, posting updates, and whatnot. I think every artist should welcome that. I mean how much money are they going to lose on a smartphone-quality video?! They aren't going to say "well I saw it on a phone so I don't need to go". They are going to say "That looks soooo fun, I should have been there and will go next time".

I'm one of the most classic rock traditionalist there is but I fully embrace smartphones in concerts and posting to social media. I think both older artists and concertgoers have to accept it at some point. They don't have to love it or participate, but Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube are the future and most concertgoers are going to be posting things from the concert to those networks... I think people who have a problem with that are most likely fuddy duddy artists. And I'm an old soul but I still embrace that. I think it's great for exposure and fun to share with friends. I love the artists who encourage it too and have special hashtags for the tour, and not just accept it. I don't see anything wrong with social media. In fact, for an introvert like me - it's my main source of communication - right or wrong. I know real life is important, but it's tough for me.

NightMistBlue
03-30-2015, 02:52 PM
I love Heart. I first saw them in 2002, not expecting much, and they were awesome. It's a real rockin' show.

The Wilson sisters' memoir, Kicking and Dreaming, was very good too. Ann's bit at the end had me in tears, and I'm not a big crier. There's such a bond between those two.

Brooke
03-30-2015, 04:33 PM
Haha you are just trying to get me stirred up aren't you. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

No camera nazis, "light" security, and no rules!

If you see any pics or vids of the audience at any show - everyone has their phones out and is taking pics, taking videos, posting updates, and whatnot. I think every artist should welcome that. I mean how much money are they going to lose on a smartphone-quality video?! They aren't going to say "well I saw it on a phone so I don't need to go". They are going to say "That looks soooo fun, I should have been there and will go next time".

I'm one of the most classic rock traditionalist there is but I fully embrace smartphones in concerts and posting to social media. I think both older artists and concertgoers have to accept it at some point. They don't have to love it or participate, but Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube are the future and most concertgoers are going to be posting things from the concert to those networks... I think people who have a problem with that are most likely fuddy duddy artists. And I'm an old soul but I still embrace that. I think it's great for exposure and fun to share with friends. I love the artists who encourage it too and have special hashtags for the tour, and not just accept it. I don't see anything wrong with social media. In fact, for an introvert like me - it's my main source of communication - right or wrong. I know real life is important, but it's tough for me.

:lol: I agree with you 100% Austin!

NightMistBlue
03-31-2015, 02:37 PM
But there's also the issue of bothering other audience members. Someone next to me at a Graham Nash concert was recording it with her laptop (or one of those notebook thingies - I'm not technologically savvy) and the people behind us were getting ticked because of the light that the machine gave off and also she was blocking their view.

WalshFan88
03-31-2015, 03:00 PM
But there's also the issue of bothering other audience members. Someone next to me at a Graham Nash concert was recording it with her laptop (or one of those notebook thingies - I'm not technologically savvy) and the people behind us were getting ticked because of the light that the machine gave off and also she was blocking their view.

Of course...

I think one should be courteous when recording/pic taking/etc but I also figure I have a right to be there as much as they do, and I'm not about to let someone in the audience dictate to me what I can and cannot do. I go out of my way to make sure I'm as least bothersome as possible. But I'm there to have fun, and half that fun is taking pics. I think it's also fine to text during a concert, if that's what you want to do.

Me, I'm a photographer at heart so I have no problem taking 200 or so pics at a show. I turn flash OFF and screen brightness to as low as I can stand it, to again, be mindful of those around me. I'm also really tall, so I stand for my 3 or so favorites and sit for the bulk of the show and take pics during standing if I'm in a row other than front row.

But the bottom line is - people are going to have to get over the fact of smartphones. Laptops and tablets is ridiculous but we are in a social media age and texting and taking pics and posting to various networks is just part of it.

The part that bothers me is those who think "if they take pics they'll miss the show". That's for them to worry about. If they want to stare at the floor all night taking pictures of their shoes, that's their right.

Brooke
03-31-2015, 04:22 PM
Of course we need to be respectful of those around us and I think most are.

I think tablets are too much though, too.

NightMistBlue
04-06-2015, 03:53 PM
Has anyone seen the Rock Icons episode on Ann that VH-1 has been airing the last few weekends? It's very good, containing some new interviews with Ann, Nancy, collaborator Sue Ennis as well as some groovy vintage concert footage and home movies.

Stick around through the end credits, it showcases the gals' off-the-wall humor.

NightMistBlue
05-16-2017, 09:46 AM
I'm really sorry to read that the strong bond between the Wilson sisters has been damaged by Ann's husband and that Heart is "on hiatus" after a difficult short tour. Ann's husband has been charged with roughing up Nancy's 16-year old twin boys.

Here's hoping that all will be healed within the family.

http://johnbeaudin.com/music/big-trouble-heart-anns-husband-sentenced-choking-nancys-kids/

Dawn
05-16-2017, 10:59 AM
Has anyone seen the Rock Icons episode on Ann that VH-1 has been airing the last few weekends? It's very good, containing some new interviews with Ann, Nancy, collaborator Sue Ennis as well as some groovy vintage concert footage and home movies.

Stick around through the end credits, it showcases the gals' off-the-wall humor.

No, I haven't. Thanks for the heads up!

alreadygone
05-16-2017, 04:39 PM
anything without roger fisher is not heart in my view. Firing him was probably one of the worst decisions ever made in rock history.