PDA

View Full Version : Today in Rock n' Roll History

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Koala
04-04-2010, 02:39 AM
1964 The top five slots on the 'Billboard' chart are held by the Beatles, a feat never before or since matched.

1981 Styx went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Paradise Theatre'.

1987 Genesis hits #3 in the US with "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight".

1987 U2 entered the US album chart at No.7 with 'The Joshua Tree' making it the highest chart new entry in America for seven years.

1992 Bruce Springsteen scored his third UK No.1 album with 'Human Touch.'

Koala
04-05-2010, 02:51 AM
1962 The Beatles performt at tue Carvern Clup in Liverpool as part of a special night presented by the Beatle’s fan club.

1980 Genesis scored their first UK No1 Album when “Duke” went to the top of tue Charts.

1994 Kurt Cobain committed Suizide by shooting himself in tue head at his home in Seattle.

2003 Paul McCartney off tue UK leg of his “Back In The World Tour”at Hallam FM Arena a year after it began in America. The set included22 Beatles Songs.

Ive always been a dreamer
04-05-2010, 10:46 AM
1964 The top five slots on the 'Billboard' chart are held by the Beatles, a feat never before or since matched.

I remember this - what an amazing feat. And I'm also thinking there was a time (I'm sure must have been right around here) where maybe The Beatles also had 8 songs in the Top 10. I'm not positive I'm correct, but I'm close.

Prettymaid
04-05-2010, 09:12 PM
2003 Paul McCartney kicked off the UK leg of his 'Back In The World Tour' at Hallam FM Arena a year after it began in America. The set included 22 Beatles songs.

I had the pleasure of seeing this show in America. Fabulous!

Koala
04-06-2010, 02:05 AM
1968 Simon & Garfunkel went to No1 on tue US Album Chart wich
“The Graduate”

1968 The Beatles Apple Corps. LTD record Company managment and puplishing firm, opend their Office in London.

1971 The Rolling Stones launched their own record lable “Rolling Stons Records” with Atlantic Records.

1974 Billy Joels “ Piano Man” enters the “Billboard” single Charts.

1974 Waterloo by ABBA wins the Eurovision Song Contest.

1999 Benny Anderson and Björn Ulvaeus from ABBA, take to the stage in London, 26 years after the Band’debut at the Eurovision Song Contest for tue opening of “Mamma Mia” tue musical set to ABBA’s geratest Hits.

Koala
04-07-2010, 01:58 AM
1962 While at Ealing Jazz Club, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards met Brian Jones for the first time. Jones was calling himself Elmo Lewis and was playing guitar with Paul Jones. http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/graphics/spacer.gif1962 The Beatles played at the Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool without George Harrison who was ill. This was the group’s last performance before leaving for their third extended engagement in Hamburg, West Germany.

1981 Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band kicked off their first full-scale tour in Hamburg, Germany. This was Springsteen's first tour outside North America, which would take in 10 countries.

Koala
04-08-2010, 02:20 AM
1970 The UK premiere of the Woodstock movie took place in London. The film was a documentary of the festival that took place in August 1969 at Bethel in New York.

1977 during a UK tour Fleetwood Mac played the first of three sold-out nights at the Rainbow Theatre in London.

1995 Take That's "Back For Good" debuts at #1 in the UK. It sells 300,000 units in the first week, the highest tally in ten years.

1998 Rolling Stones guitarist Ron Wood was rescued along with 11 other passengers from a boat off the coast of Brazil after the engine exploded. The boat was exploring the islands near Angra Dos Reis, south of Rio De Janeiro, when one of the boat's engines caught fire. Passengers were rescued by nearby journalists, the boat exploded moments after the group was evacuated.

2000 "Maria Maria," another single from Santana's 'Supernatural', hits #1 for the first of ten straight weeks.

Koala
04-09-2010, 01:51 AM
1970 Paul McCartney announces his "break with the Beatles" in a typed statement enclosed in copies of the solo album McCartney sent to the British press. Paul McCartney attributes the split to "personal differences, musical differences, business differences, but most of all because I have a better time with my family."

1977 Abba went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Dancing Queen', the group's 7th US Top 40 hit and first No.1. Also a No.1 in the UK in 1976.

1983 David Bowie was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with the title track from his latest album 'Let's Dance', his fourth UK No.1 and featuring blues guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughan. A US No.1 hit, it was Bowie’s first single to reach number one on both sides of the Atlantic.

1989 Rolling Stone Bill Wyman announced his forthcoming marriage to 19-year old Mandy Smith. He revealed the couple had been dating for six years.

1999 Bruce Springsteen's reunion tour with the E Street Band kicks off in Barcelona, Spain. The band plays for three hours without a break.

2003 Paul McCartney played his first Manchester show in 24 years when he appeared at the MEN Arena as part of the UK leg on the 'Back In The World Tour 2003.'

Prettymaid
04-09-2010, 05:30 PM
1970 Paul McCartney announces his "break with the Beatles" in a typed statement enclosed in copies of the solo album McCartney sent to the British press. Paul McCartney attributes the split to "personal differences, musical differences, business differences, but most of all because I have a better time with my family."

:weep::weep::weep:

Koala
04-10-2010, 02:24 AM
1962 Original Beatle Stuart Sutcliffe dies in Hamburg after collapsing. His artistic ideas and close friendship with John Lennon had a lasting influence on the band. Sutcliffe’s picture appears on the cover of Sgt. Pepper.

1967 Paul McCartney visits a Beach Boys recording session and is said to have loaned his production assistant to the track “Vegetables” for the now-lost Smile album.

1976 UK music weekly The Melody Maker reviewed a Sex Pistols gig with the words, ‘I hope we shall hear no more of them.’

1992 Axl Rose leaves town before a Chicago sheriff can arrest him for allegedly starting a riot at a St. Louis Guns N’ Roses show in the summer of 1991. GNR cancel their shows in Chicago and Detroit.

1999 George Michael, Sinead O’Connor, Chrissie Hynde, and Paul McCartney all perform at Here There and Everywhere: A Concert for Linda, a charity tribute to Linda McCartney held at London’s Royal Albert Hall.

2001 Bruce Springsteen won a court battle to keep the rights to his early songs. Ronald Winter of Masquerade Music had released the album ‘Before The Fame’ was found to be in breach of copyright. Springsteen was awarded more than £2m damages.

Koala
04-11-2010, 02:20 AM
1961 Bob Dylan played his first live gig in New York City at Gerde's Folk City, opening for John Lee Hooker.

1964 The Beatles set a new chart record when they had 14 songs on the Billboard Hot 100. The songs ranged from ‘Can't Buy Me Love’ at No.1 to ‘Love Me Do’ at No. 81.

1977 Alice Cooper played to an audience of 40,000 in Sydney, Australia, the largest crowd to attend a rock concert in the country's history. After the show Cooper was placed under house arrest at his hotel until he posted a bond for $59,632. That amount was the sum that a promoter claimed to have paid Cooper for a 1975 Australia tour he never made. The two settled when it was found that the promoter did not fulfill his part of the agreement either.

1988 Cher won an Academy Award for best actress for her work in 'Moonstruck.'

Koala
04-12-2010, 02:21 AM
1954 Bill Haley recorded 'Rock Around The Clock' at Pythian Temple studios in New York City. Considered by many to be the song that put rock and roll on the map around the world. The song was used over the opening titles for the film 'Blackboard Jungle', and went on to be a world-wide No.1 and the biggest selling pop single with sales over 25 million. Written by Max C. Freedman and James E. Myers, 'Rock Around The Clock' was first recorded by Italian-American band Sonny Dae and His Knights.

1975 Sweet hits #2 in the UK with "Fox on the Run."

1975 Elton John started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Philadelphia Freedom', his fourth US No.1, it made No.12 in the UK.

1990 during their Behind The Mask World Tour, Fleetwood Mac played the first of five nights at Sydney Entertainment Centre, Sydney, Australia.

1992 Don Henley leads 6,000 people in a Walk for Walden Woods in an effort to preserve the Massachusetts wild commemorated by Henry Thoreau.

TimothyBFan
04-12-2010, 10:51 AM
1975 Sweet hits #2 in the UK with "Fox on the Run."

:applause::applause::applause:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MDCbIhTa_w

sodascouts
04-12-2010, 12:09 PM
1990 during their Behind The Mask World Tour, Fleetwood Mac played the first of five nights at Sydney Entertainment Centre, Sydney, Australia.

But without Lindsey Buckingham. :cry:

1992 Don Henley leads 6,000 people in a Walk for Walden Woods in an effort to preserve the Massachusetts wild commemorated by Henry Thoreau.

You go, Don! Maybe I should add this to my "This Day in Eagles History" calendar.

Koala
04-13-2010, 02:02 AM
1967 Nancy and Frank Sinatra were at UK No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Somethin' Stupid', making them the only father and daughter to have a No.1 single as a team.

1970 Genesis appeared at Friars, Aylesbury, England. Peter Gabriel, Mike Rutherford, Tony Banks and Ant Phillips received £10 for the gig.

1971 The Rolling Stones released 'Brown Sugar' the first record on their own label, Rolling Stones Records, which introduces the infamous licking- tongue and lips logo.

1999 Elton John and Faith Hill appear as guest performers on “VH1 Divas Live.” They join Whitney Houston, Tina Turner, Cher, Brandy, LeAnn Rimes, and Mary J. Blige.

2003 The Beatles Apple Corp company was listed as Britain's fastest profit-growth firm with an annual profit growth of 194%.

2007 Julian Lennon sold a “significant” stake of his share in the songs his father John wrote for The Beatles to US music publishing company Primary Wave. The firm would now receive payments when any Lennon compositions were sold on CD, performed live or played on the radio. The company who were about to market Julian Lennon’s new music project, declined to reveal how much the deal was worth.

04-13-2010, 10:37 AM

You go, Don! Maybe I should add this to my "This Day in Eagles History" calendar.

Soda, I already added this to the board calendar if you want to add it to the blog. Thanks for the tip, Koala.

Koala
04-14-2010, 01:58 AM
1963 The Rolling Stones played at The Crawdaddy Club, Richmond. All four members of The Beatles were in the audience.

1970 Creedence Clearwater Revival made their live UK debut when they played the first of two nights at The Royal Albert Hall, London.

1973 Led Zeppelin started a two-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Houses Of The Holy', also a No.1 in the US. The young girl featured on the cover of the album climbing naked up Giants Causeway in Northern Ireland is Samantha Gates who was 6 years old at the time of the photo shoot.

1975 Art Garfunkel started a six week run at No.1 in the UK with the theme from the film 'Watership Down', 'Bright Eyes' which went on to become the biggest selling single of the year. Written by Wombles voice Mike Batt.

2009 Former Beatle George Harrison was honoured with a posthumous star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in Los Angeles. Sir Paul McCartney attended the unveiling outside the landmark Capitol Records building, joining Harrison's widow Olivia and son Dhani. Eric Idle, Oscar-winning actor Tom Hanks and musician Tom Petty also attended the ceremony.

Prettymaid
04-14-2010, 10:33 AM
2009 Former Beatle George Harrison was honoured with a posthumous star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in Los Angeles. Sir Paul McCartney attended the unveiling outside the landmark Capitol Records building, joining Harrison's widow Olivia and son Dhani. Eric Idle, Oscar-winning actor Tom Hanks and musician Tom Petty also attended the ceremony.

Also attending was the great Joe Walsh!

Koala
04-15-2010, 02:30 AM
1966 Jimi Hendrix, The Walker Brothers, Cat Stevens and Engelbert Humperdink all appeared at the The Odeon, Blackpool, England, tickets cost 5 and 10 shillings, ($0.70 and $1.40).

1982 BillyJoel is hospitalized for a month after the motorcycle he's riding is broadsided by a car on Long Island. Despite multiple fractures of the left hand, the pianist returns to work on 'The Nylon Curtain'. The lushly produced concept album about America's "diminishing horizons" is released in July.

1984 Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now) (Phil Collins) was a hit.

1985 during his Born In The USA world tour, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band played the fourth of five sold out nights at Yoyogi Olympic Pool in Tokyo, Japan.

2001 Punk pioneer (Jeffrey Ross Hyman) singer of The Ramones died after losing a long battle with lymphatic cancer.

2003 Fleetwood Mac release their album Say You Will. The disc reunites the band with AWOL songwriter Lindsey Buckingham, but vocalist Christine McVie opts to sit this one out. Say You Will enters the chart at No. 3.

sodascouts
04-15-2010, 06:58 PM
2003 Fleetwood Mac release their album Say You Will. The disc reunites the band with AWOL songwriter Lindsey Buckingham, but vocalist Christine McVie opts to sit this one out. Say You Will enters the chart at No. 3.

I remember this - the whole fan community was ecstatic. FINALLY, new material from our favorite band!!!

Sound familiar? ;)

Koala
04-16-2010, 01:49 AM
1964 The Rolling Stones first album was released in the UK, it went to No.1 two weeks later and stayed on the chart for 40 weeks, with 11 weeks at No.1. http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/graphics/spacer.gif

1977 One half of TV cop show "Starsky & Hutch" (he was blonde Hutch), David Soul went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Don't Give Up On Us', his only US hit. Also No.1 in the UK.

1990 At London’s Wembley Stadium, artists including Peter Gabriel, Lou Reed, Simple Minds, and Tracy Chapman take part in a musical celebration of Nelson Mandela’s release from prison.

1993 Paul McCartney headlined a concert at the Hollywood Bowl to celebrate 'Earth Day' along with Ringo Starr, Don Henley and Steve Miller. McCartney had last performed there as a member of the Beatles in 1965.

1998 'Rumours', by Fleetwood Mac, is certified by the RIAA for sales of 18 million copies.

Koala
04-17-2010, 02:09 AM
1970 Paul McCartney releases his first solo album, "McCartney.

1973 Pink Floyd's album 'The Dark Side of the Moon' went gold in the US. The LP went on to stay in the US chart for more than ten years and become the longest charting rock record of all time.

1993 Ugly Kid Joe hits #7 with "Cat's In the Cradle".

1994 Pink Floyd started a four-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'The Division Bell', their fourth No.1 album.

1998 Linda McCartney died after a long battle against cancer. Married Paul McCartney in 1969 when she was working as a photographer. As well as a being a member of Wings, she became an animal rights campaigner and launched her own brand of vegetarian food.

2009 Morrissey walked off stage during his set at the Coachella festival in California after declaring he could "smell burning flesh". The committed vegetarian took offence to the smell coming from nearby barbecues. Sir Paul McCartney, The Killers and The Cure also appeared at the event.

Koala
04-18-2010, 02:26 AM
1964 The Beatles appeared on the UK TV comedy program The Morecambe and Wise Show, playing ‘This Boy’, ‘All My Loving’, and ‘I Want to Hold Your Hand’ and also participate in comedy sketches with Eric Morecambe and Ernie Wise. The Beatles also held the UK and US No.1 position on this day with 'Can't Buy Me Love'.

1984 Michael Jackson underwent surgery in a Los Angeles hospital to repair damage done after his hair caught fire during the filming of a Pepsi commercial.

1992 'Human Touch' and 'Lucky Town', two simultaneously released studio albums by Bruce Springsteen, debut at #2 and #3, respectively.

2000 'The Wall Live: 1980-81,' culled from Pink Floyd's London performances of their all-time favorite work, is released.

2006 a sale of clothes belonging to Sir Elton John raised more than $700,000 (£395,000) for the singer's Aids charity. Over 10,000 pieces were sold during a five-day sale in New York City at the specially-created shop, Elton's Closet, at New York's Rockefeller Centre.

Koala
04-19-2010, 01:05 AM
1968 John Lennon, George Harrison and their wives left the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's ashram in Rishikesh, India two weeks before their study was complete. Ringo and Paul had already left.

1980 AC/DC announces that Brian Johnson will replace Bon Scott.

1980 R.E.M. played their first gig as R.E.M. at the 11:11 Koffee Club, Athens, Georgia to 150 people. The show ended at 2am when police closed it down due to the venue being unlicensed.

2000 Phil Collins won £250,000 in a high court case over royalties with two former members of his band. The judge ruled that they had been overpaid in error but because the two musicians had no other income they would not have to pay it back.

Koala
04-20-2010, 01:32 AM
1967 Van der Graaf Generator releases their debut Album “ The Aerosol Grey Machine”

1968 Simon & Garfunkel hit #1 wich “Mrs. Robbinson”.

1968 The first-ever DeepPurple concert is held in Tastrup, Denmark.

1974 Mike Oldfield Hits #3 in tue Us wich “Tubular Bells”

1997 Michael Jackson attended an unveiling of a wax statue of himself at tue Grevin Museum of Wax in Paris.

Koala
04-21-2010, 02:11 AM
1963 The Rolling Stones appeared at The Crawdaddy Club, Station Hotel, London. The band was paid £50 for the gig.

1970 Tyrannosaurus Rex, Spooky Tooth, Jackie Lomax, Elton John (making his solo concert debut) and Heavy Jelly all appeared at The Roundhouse, London, tickets cost 25 shillings.

1977 Peter Gabriel hits #68 with "Solsbury Hill".

1990 Fleetwood Mac scored their fourth UK No.1 album with Behind The Mask.

1990 Sinead O'Connor started a four week stay at No.1 in the US singles chart with her version of the Prince song 'Nothing Compares To You'. The track was also a No.1 hit in 18 other countries.

TimothyBFan
04-22-2010, 08:39 AM
Good luck to Koala today as she is having her surgery finally!!

1969-John Lennon legally changed his middle name from Winston to Ono.

1974-Filming for the movie version of Tommy begins.

1981-Eric Clapton is hospitalized in Seatle after a car crash. He had been released 2 days earlier from a St Paul hospital.

2008- Paul Davis, I Go Crazy, dies of a heart attack.

2009-Ann & Nancy Wilson of Heart receive lifetime achievement awards from the American Society of Composers and Publishers.

Koala
04-23-2010, 06:06 AM
Thanks Willie!

1936 Roy Orbison was born.

1969 The Beatles were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Get Back' the group's 16th UK No.1.

1975 During a North American tour Pink Floyd played the first of five sold out nights at the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arenain Los Angeles, California.

1983 Spandau Ballet hits #1 in the UK with "True".

1988 Roy Orbison celebrated his 52nd birthday at a Bruce Springsteen concert, during which the audience sang happy birthday to him.

1994 "Streets of Philadelphia," Bruce Springsteen's contribution to the film AIDS-themed film 'Philadelphia', becomes his first Top Ten hit since "Tunnel of Love" in 1987.

Koala
04-24-2010, 05:21 AM
1961 Bob Dylan appeared on Harry Belafonte's album 'The Midnight Special' playing harmonica on the track 'Calypso King'; Dylan was paid a $50 session fee for this his first ever recording.

1968 The Beatles new company Apple Records turned down the offer to sign new artist David Bowie.

1968 Louis Armstrong was at No.1 in the UK with the single 'What A Wonderful World / Cabaret.' At 69 years of age, it made Armstrong the oldest act ever to score a UK No.1.

1976 Led Zeppelin scored their sixth UK No.1 album with 'Presence', also No.1 in the US.

1976,"Wings At The Speed Of Sound' went to No.1 on the US album chart. Paul McCartney's fifth No.1 after The Beatles.

Koala
04-25-2010, 05:41 AM
1977 Elvis Presley made the last recordings of his life during a concert at the Saginaw, Michigan Civic Centre. Three songs from the show appeared on the posthumously released Presley album, 'Moody Blue'.

1979 The Police made their debut on BBC TV's 'Top Of The Pops' performing 'Roxanne'.

1982 Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Ebony And Ivory.' This was McCartney's 24th No.1 hit single as a songwriter. The title was inspired by McCartney hearing Spike Milligan say "black notes, white notes, and you need to play the two to make harmony folks!". It was later named as the tenth worst song of all time by Blender magazine and in 2007 was named the worst duet in history by BBC 6 Music listeners.

1994 The Eagles played the first of two shows where they recorded their ‘Hell Freezes Over’ album. Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Joe Walsh, Don Felder and Timothy B. Schmit first got back together the previous December for the making of a Travis Tritt video of their song, ‘Take It Easy.’ The name of the album was taken from an earlier quote by Glen Frey, who responded to the question "When will the Eagles get back together?"

Prettymaid
04-25-2010, 12:45 PM
1994 The Eagles played the first of two shows where they recorded their ‘Hell Freezes Over’ album. Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Joe Walsh, Don Felder and Timothy B. Schmit first got back together the previous December for the making of a Travis Tritt video of their song, ‘Take It Easy.’ The name of the album was taken from an earlier quote by Glen Frey, who responded to the question "When will the Eagles get back together?"

:yay: :D :applause:

Koala
04-26-2010, 02:11 AM
1964 The Beatles, Rolling Stones and the Dave Clark Five headlined the NME poll winner's concert at Wembley Empire Pool, London.

1964 The Beatles attend Roy Orbison's belated 28th birthday party in London.

1966 Dusty Springfield was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'You Don't Have To Say You Love Me', the singers only UK No.1.

1982 Rod Stewart mugged and robbed of his $50,000 Porsche by a gunman in broad daylight on Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles.

1994 Where It All Begins,' another solid album of new material from the Allman Brothers Band, is released.

1994 The Eagles played the second night for record their ‘Hell Freezes Over’ album.

Koala
04-27-2010, 01:46 AM
1968 The Sweet inpirations hit #18 wich „Sweet Inspiration“

1969 Pink Floyd appeard at Mothers Club in Birmingham, England. The Show was recorded for tue forthcomming Album „Ummagumma“.

1971 The Greatful Death appeard Kat tue Filmore East in NYC. The Beach Boys also apeard on tue stage with thDead, wo performce together a short set of BB Songs.

1994 Chicago scored their third US No1 Album wich „Chicago VII“.

2006 Keith Richards sufferst a braun hemorrhage after falling out of a Palm tree on the Island of Fiji. The Richards familiy were on vacation. Doctors say tue rock warhorse will need an Operation to drain tue skiull.

TimothyBFan
04-27-2010, 08:32 AM
2006 Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards suffers a brain hemorrhage after falling out of a palm tree on the island of Fiji. The Richards family were on vacation. Doctors say the rock warhorse will need an operation to drain his skull.

It's not funny I know, but he's the only rock star I can think of off hand that I could actually see sitting in a palm tree in Fiji!! After the end of the world---Mr. Richards will still be among the living!

Koala
04-28-2010, 03:07 AM
1968 "Hair" opens on Broadway

1973 Pink Floyd's album 'Dark Side Of The Moon' went to No.1 on the US chart, it went on to enjoy a record breaking 741 weeks, selling over 20 million copies world-wide.

1999 The results of a study on the occurrence of drug references in movies and music are released by the Clinton Administration’s top drug enforcement officials. The study finds that 27% of the most popular sound recordings from 1996 and 1997 “contained a clear reference to either alcohol or illicit drugs.

2000 A fire damages R&B legend James Brown’s office in Augusta, Ga. It turns out to be no accident, as, a week later investigators find a fire accelerant in several locations in the building.

2006 Abba star Bjorn Ulvaeus was accused of avoiding paying 87m Swedish kronor (£6.5m) in taxes on the band's hit songs and musicals. The Swedish government was demanding he repaid the money. Abba sold over 370 million records and he also co-wrote the musical Mamma Mia.

Koala
04-29-2010, 02:24 AM
1976 after a gig in Memphis Bruce Springsteen took a cab to Elvis Presley's Graceland home and proceeded to climb over the wall. A guard took him to be another crank fan and apprehended him.

1998 Steven Tyler broke his knee at a concert in Anchorage, Alaska delaying Aerosmith's Nine lives tour and necessitating camera angle adjustments for the filming of the video for 'I Don't Want to Miss a Thing.'

2003 Pearl Jam buy a 1,400 square-mile area of rainforest in Madagascar to compensate for the 5,700 tons of greenhouse gas emissions they estimate their current North American tour with incur.

2003 A $5 million lawsuit against former Creedence Clearwater Revival leader John Fogerty was dismissed after a personal-injury lawyer claimed that he suffered hearing loss in his left ear from attending a Fogerty concert. The Judge said the plaintiff assumed the risk of hearing damage when he attended the concert in 1997.

2005 Mary Travers of Peter, Paul & Mary undergoes a bone marrow transplant to battle leukemia (she dies of the disease four years later).

TimothyBFan
04-29-2010, 09:13 AM
1976 after a gig in Memphis Bruce Springsteen took a cab to Elvis Presley's Graceland home and proceeded to climb over the wall. A guard took him to be another crank fan and apprehended him.

2003 A $5 million lawsuit against former Creedence Clearwater Revival leader John Fogerty was dismissed after a personal-injury lawyer claimed that he suffered hearing loss in his left ear from attending a Fogerty concert. The Judge said the plaintiff assumed the risk of hearing damage when he attended the concert in 1997.

That first one was just funny and this second one made me angry. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I hate frivolous lawsuits! What an idiot. Good for that judge!

Koala
04-30-2010, 02:50 AM
1933 Willie Nelson is born.

1964 The Beatles received $140,000 for the rights to having their pictures included in packages of bubble gum in the USA.

1966 "Good Lovin'," a spirited remake of a song by the Olympics, becomes the Rascals' first #1 hit.

1976 The Who's drummer Keith Moon paid nine cab drivers to block-off both ends of a New York street so he could throw the contents of his hotel room out of the window.

1977 Led Zeppelin broke a new world attendance record at a concert when they played to 76,229 people at a gig at the Pontiac Silverdome, Pontiac, Michigan. The Who held the previous record at the same venue with 75,962 people.

04-30-2010, 01:53 PM
1964 The Beatles received $140,000 for the rights to having their pictures included in packages of bubble gum in the USA.

OMG - I can't begin to tell you how much of that bubble gum I bought!!!

Koala
05-01-2010, 03:25 AM
1956 Sun releases John Cash's "I Walk the Line."

1967 Elvis Presley marries Priscilla Beaulieu, who he met eight and a half years earlier during his tour of duty in Germany, at the Aladdin Hotel in Las Vegas. Their daughter, Lisa Marie Presley, is born exactly nine months later, on February 1, 1968.

1977 Eric Clapton's biggest-selling album of the Seventies, Slowhand, finds him recording at London's Olympic Studios for the first time since Fresh Cream, the first Cream album. Slowhand yields Top Forty hits in "Lay Down Sally" (#3) and "Wonderful Tonight" (#16), and an FM favorite and live staple in "Cocaine."

1979 Elton John becomes the first rock star to perform in Israel.

2000 Former Village Voice writer Jimmy McDonough sues veteran rocker Neil Young for $1.8 million for fraud. The suit stems from the musicians alleged refusal to allow publication of a biography written by McDonough with Young’s permission and assistance.

Koala
05-02-2010, 02:43 AM
1965 The Yardbirds' "For Your Love" enters the Billboard Hot 100 at Number 84. Soon after, Eric Clapton leaves the band and is replaced by Jimmy Page. The song stays on the charts for twelve weeks, peaking at Number Six.

1969 The Who debut the rock opera "Tommy" for the press at Ronnie's Jazz Club in London

1977 Eric Clapton records "Wonderful Tonight" (written by Eric about Pattie Boyd).

1980 South Africa bans Pink Floyd’s “Another Brick in the Wall, Part II,” claiming the song is “prejudicial to the safety of the state.”

1991 The video for the R.E.M. song ‘Losing My Religion’, was banned in Ireland because its religious imagery was seen as unfit for broadcast.

1994 Eric Clapton played tracks from his upcoming blues album, From the Cradle, at a New York benefit concert in 1994. It was the follow-up to his multi-million selling Unplugged release. A couple of days later at the World Music Awards, he was named the World’s Best-Selling Rock Artist of the Year, as well as the Best-Selling British Recording Artist of the Year.

2004 Total Guitar magazine’s readers voted Guns N’ Roses’ anthem ‘Sweet Child O’ Mine’ as the greatest guitar riff ever ahead of Nirvana’s grunge anthem ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’. Led Zeppelin’s ‘Whole Lotta Love’ came third, followed by Deep Purple’s ‘Smoke On The Water’. Total Guitar editor Scott Rowley said: “To a new generation of guitarists, Guns N’ Roses are more thrilling than the Sex Pistols.”

2005 Eric Clapton joined former Cream members drummer Ginger Baker and bass player Jack Bruce for the first of four nights at London's Royal Albert Hall 36 years after they had split up. Tickets were changing hands for more than £500 on eBay and fans had flown over from the USA to witness the reunion, which Clapton aged 60, is said to have agreed to because of the failing health of the other former members of the band.

Koala
05-03-2010, 02:27 AM
1933 James Brown is born.

1972 Bruce Springsteen auditions for Columbia Records A&R man John Hammond at his office in New York. He signs with the label a month later.

1974 Led Zeppelin launches their Swan Song label, which releases their albums and ones by handpicked artists like Bad Company and the Pretty Things

1976 David Bowie played the first of six sold out nights at Wembley, his first UK gig in three years.

1997 Katrina And The Waves won the Eurovision Song Contest in Dublin with the song 'Love Shine A Light', making them the first UK winners since Bucks Fizz in 1981.

2009 Bob Dylan went to No.1 on the UK album chart with ‘Together Through Life’ his seventh UK No.1 album. It was the singer, songwriter’s 33rd studio album, he last topped the UK chart with ‘New Morning’ in 1970. His first No.1 in 1964, was ‘The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan'. Dylan now held the record, (previously held by Tom Jones), for the longest gap between solo number one albums.

Koala
05-04-2010, 01:48 AM
1959 The first Grammy Awards ceremony is held in Los Angeles with Mort Sahl as host. Domenico Modugno’s “Volare (Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu)” wins Record of the Year. The Music from Peter Gunn wins Album of the Year.

1970 four students at Kent University were killed and eleven wounded by National Guard troops at a campus demonstration protesting the escalation of the Vietnam War. The incident inspired Neil Young to compose ‘Ohio’ which became a hit for Crosby Stills Nash & Young.

1973 Led Zeppelin opened their 1973 North American tour, which was billed as the 'biggest and most profitable rock & roll tour in the history of the United States'. The group would gross over $3 million from the dates, flying between gigs in 'The Starship' a Boeing 720 passenger jet, complete with bar, shower room, TV and video in a 30' lounge and a white fur bedroom.

1974 Abba were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Waterloo', the group's first of nine UK No.1 singles was the 1974 Eurovision song contest winner for Sweden. The song was first called 'Honey Pie'.
1978 'Night Fever' by The Bee Gees was at No.1 on the UK singles chart. The group's third No.1 and the theme from the film 'Saturday Night Fever.' The song was a US No.1 for over two months.

1991 Phil Collins and Al Jarreau receive Honorary Doctor of Music Degrees from Berklee College of Music during commencement ceremonies in Boston. The principal speaker at the commencement is Atlantic Records founder and CEO Ahmet Ertegun.

2008 Madonna’s latest album Hard Candy went straight to number one in the UK, giving the singer a chart double, with her song 4 Minutes, featuring Justin Timberlake, on top of the singles chart for a third week. Hard Candy was Madonna’s 10th number one album.

Koala
05-05-2010, 01:59 AM
1962 The soundtrack to West Side Story went to No.1 on the US album chart. It went on to spend a total of 54 weeks at the No.1 position.

1973 Sweet hits #3 in the US with "Little Willy."

1990 The John Lennon tribute concert was held at the Pier Head Arena in Merseyside, featuring Lenny Kravitz, Al Green, Joe Cocker, The Christians, Kylie Minogue, Ringo Starr, Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, Deacon Blue, Lou Reed, Joe Walsh and Wet Wet Wet.

1997 Bruce Springsteen is awarded Sweden’s Polar Music Prize. It’s considered the musical equivalent of the Nobel Prize.

TimothyBFan
05-05-2010, 08:56 AM
1973 Sweet hits #3 in the US with "Little Willy."

I credit this song with my whole Sweet love affair.....but I HATED it!! :hilarious: It made my life a living HELL in the 4th grade. Little did I know, 37 years later, they would be one of my all time favorite bands!!! And I now love the song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmbEuRzlhIs

Prettymaid
05-05-2010, 09:30 AM
Willie, when I saw that I almost replied to it, then I thought... No, she'll get here herself. And there you are! :hilarious: I always liked singing along to Little Willy on the radio. Had no idea at the time who was singing it. Who knew that years later I would meet someone with that name and a wonderful story behind the song! And they have a lifelong fan in you! Sweet!

Koala
05-06-2010, 03:21 AM
1945 Bob Seger is born.

1965 Paul Simon's first solo album, T'he Paul Simon Songbook,' is released in the U.K. on CBS Records. It never sees the light of day in the U.S

1965 In their Clearwater, Florida hotel room, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards worked out the opening guitar riff of ‘Satisfaction’, following Richard's purchase of a Gibson fuzz-box earlier that day.

1973 Paul Simon begins his first post-Simon & Garfunkel solo tour, in Boston.

1978 The soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever started an 18 week run at No.1 on the UK album chart, also No.1 in the US. The album, which features seven Bee Gee songs, went on to sell over 30 million copies worldwide.

1997 Crosby, Stills & Nash are inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

2002 'Bohemian Rhapsody' by Queen was voted the UK's favourite single of all time in a poll by the Guinness Hit Singles book. 'Imagine' by John Lennon was voted in at No.2 and 'Hey Jude', The Beatles No.3, 'Dancing Queen' by Abba was fourth and Madonna 'Like A Prayer' was in fifth place.

2004 a sale at Christie's in London became the most successful pop auction in the company's history after Beatles memorabilia sold for a record £788,643. The auction included a leather collar worn by John Lennon which sold for £117,250. A signed copy of a management deal with The Beatles and manager Brian Epstein sold for £122,850. A Vox Kensington guitar used by Lennon and Harrison went for £100,000. Also sold - a coloured felt-pen drawing by Lennon (£10,000), a letter with his signature (£5,500), and a pen-and-ink drawing called Happy Fish (£9,500).

Koala
05-07-2010, 03:01 AM
1966 The Mamas and the Papas started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Monday Monday', it made No.3 in the UK. The group was reported, as saying they all hated the song except for its writer John Phillips.

1977 The Eagles went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Hotel California', the group's fourth US No.1, a No.8 hit in the UK.

1978 90,000 tickets were sold in eight hours for Bob Dylan's forthcoming London dates at Earls Court.

1992 a leather Jacket worn by John Lennon during 1960-1963, was sold at Christies, London, for £24,200.

2000 A schizophrenic man said to be stalking Linda Ronstadt is arrested in Sun City, Ariz. The man was wearing a white tuxedo and carrying a rose he planned to give the singer during a concert.

2003 Fleetwood Mac kick off their tour in support of Say You Will in Columbus, Ohio.

Prettymaid
05-07-2010, 08:41 AM
1977 The Eagles went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Hotel California', the group's fourth US No.1, a No.8 hit in the UK.

Huh? What is this song they're speaking of? I don't think I've ever heard it before! :shrug: :nahnah: :lol: :headbang:

Koala
05-09-2010, 03:54 AM
1949 Billy Joel is born.

1965 The Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Marianne Faithfull and Donovan all watch Bob Dylan play Royal Albert Hall in London.

1973 Mick Jagger added $150,000 of his own money to the $350,000 by The Rolling Stones January benefit concert for victims of the Nicaraguan earthquake.

1974 Rock critc John Landau writes, "I saw rock 'n' roll's future and its name is Bruce Springsteen" (Landau later produces and manages Bruce).

1998 Jimmy Page appeared on US TV's 'Saturday Night Live' with rapper Sean 'Puffy' Combs and performed 'Come With Me' from the 'Godzilla' movie soundtrack. The song sampled the guitar riff from Led Zeppelin's song 'Kashmir'.

Koala
05-10-2010, 03:38 AM
1960 Paul Hewson (a.k.a. Bono of U2) was born.

1969 Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd, The Move, Status Quo, Tremeloes, Marmalade, Love Sculpture, Van Der Graaf Generator all appeared at Nottingham County Football Ground, Nottingham, England. Presented by John Peel, tickets 22/6 on the gate.

1969 Led Zeppelin made their first appearance on the UK album chart when the bands debut album charted at No.6, going on to spend 71 weeks on the UK chart. It entered the US chart the following week at No.10. Now considered one of the most important debuts in rock, creating an entirely new interpretation of the rock and roll genre because of the groundbreaking music and recording techniques. The album was recorded in 36 hours.

1975 Stevie Wonder gives a free concert for 125,000 people at the Washington Monument in Washington, DC for "Human Kindness Day".

1986 Falco was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Rock Me Amadeus.' Falco became the first-ever Austrian act to score a UK and US No.1 hit single and the first German speaking artist to achieve a No.1 on the US charts. http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/graphics/spacer.gif1986 The Pet Shop Boys went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'West End Girls', the duo's first US No.1, also a No.1 in the UK.

Koala
05-11-2010, 01:05 AM
1963 The Beatles started a 30 week run at No.1 on the UK album charts with their debut album 'Please Please Me', making it the longest running No.1 album by a group ever. The bands follow up 'With The Beatles' replaced it at the top of the charts on 7th December 1963 and stayed there for 21 weeks.

1967 The Bee Gees made their Top Of The Pops debut performing 'New York Mining Disaster' on the UK TV show.

1974 Led Zeppelin attended Elvis Presley show at the Los Angeles Forum in California. After a shaky start to the show, Elvis stopped the band and jokingly said: “Wait a minute…if we can start together fellas, because we’ve got Led Zeppelin out there, lets try to look like we know what were doing.” All four members of Zeppelin met with Elvis after the show, spending over 2 hours backstage. Elvis asked for all the group’s autographs for his daughter Lisa Marie.

1981 Jamaican singer-songwriter Bob Marley died of lung cancer and a brain tumour aged 36. Had the 1981 single 'No Woman No Cry', plus over ten other UK Top 40 singles. In 1990, the 6th February was proclaimed a national holiday in Jamaica to commemorate his birth. The compilation album, Legend, released in 1984, is the best-selling reggae album ever with sales of more than 20 million copies. Time magazine chose Bob Marley & The Wailers' Exodus as the greatest album of the 20th century.

1985 UK producer and keyboard player Paul Hardcastle was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with '19'. The title referred to the average age of American soldiers in the Vietnam War and features dialogue by television narrator Peter Thomas, and a strong anti-war message.

1997 'Blood on the Dance Floor: HIStory in the Mix,' by Michael Jackson, is released. Containing eight remixes from 1995's 'HIStory: Past, Present, and Future, Book 1' and five new songs, it sells only one million copies.

Koala
05-12-2010, 02:02 AM
1948 Steve Winwood is born.

1962 Billboard Magazine reported that last year's most-played jukebox record was ‘Big Bad John’ by Jimmy Dean. The second most-played was Chubby Checker's ‘The Twist’.

1965 The Rolling Stones recorded '(I Can't Get No), Satisfaction' at RCA Hollywood studios. Keith Richards had come up with the guitar riff in the middle of the night a week earlier. It gave the band their first number 1 single in the US.

1973 Sweet hits #2 on the UK charts with "Hellraiser."

1977 Led Zeppelin received the outstanding contribution to British music at the second Ivor Novello Awards held at the Grosvenor Hotel, London.

1983 Meat Loaf filed for bankruptcy with debts of over $1 million.

1985 Don't You (Forget About Me) (Simple Minds) was a hit.

2008 Singer-songwriter Neil Young had a spider named after him. US university biologist Jason Bond discovered a new species of trapdoor spider and decided to name it after his favourite musician. Myrmekiaphila neilyoungi was found in Jefferson County, Alabama, in 2007.

Prettymaid
05-12-2010, 07:42 AM
2008 Singer-songwriter Neil Young had a spider named after him. US university biologist Jason Bond discovered a new species of trapdoor spider and decided to name it after his favourite musician. Myrmekiaphila neilyoungi was found in Jefferson County, Alabama, in 2007.

Ah! What every artist aspires to!

05-12-2010, 12:23 PM
... and so very few achieve!!! :wink:

ETA: And Koala - we were thanking Willie over in the birthday thread, but I wanted to reiterate that for you as well. We very much appreciate you keeping us up-to-date in this thread even if there aren't always a lot of comments.

:bow: to you for keeping us informed!!!

Koala
05-13-2010, 02:12 AM
Thanks Dreamer, it's fun!

1950 Stevie Wonder was born.

1968 John Lennon and Paul McCartney gave a series of interviews to help launch Apple Corps in the US.

1970 The world premiere of The Beatles film 'Let It Be' took place in New York City.

1970 'ABC,' the Jackson 5's second album, is released. Two more -- 'Third Album' and 'The Jackson 5 Christmas Album' -- are released before the year is over.

1985 Bruce Springsteen married Julianne Phillips at Lake Oswego, Oregon. Julianne filed for divorce on Aug 30th 1988.

1989 Bon Jovi went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I'll Be There For You', the group's fourth US No.1, a No.18 hit in the UK.

Koala
05-14-2010, 01:44 AM
1976 Keith Relf of the Yardbirds dies of electrocution in his London home.

1983 Spandau Ballet scored their first and only UK No.1 album with 'True.'

1988 Led Zeppelin reunited for the Atlantic Records 40th anniversary party at Madison Square Garden, New York, appearing with Jason Bonham the son of John Bonham on drums. Other acts performing included Foreigner, Crosby, Stills and Nash, Genesis, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Wilson Pickett and Ben E. King.

1993, During an auction at Christies in London the acoustic guitar that Elvis Presley used to make his first recordings in 1954, ‘That's All Right Mama’ and ‘Blue Moon of Kentucky’ sold for £130,285, ($152,000). And four 'Super Hero', Costumes worn by the group Kiss sold for £20,000, ($35,385).

1998 Frank Sinatra dies of a heart attack.

Koala
05-15-2010, 05:28 AM
1953 Mike Oldfield is born.

1967 Paul McCartney met American photographer Linda Eastman for the first time, during a Georgie Fame concert at the Bag O'Nails nightclub in London, England. They married on March 12, 1969.

1971 Crosby Stills Nash & Young scored their second US No.1 album with '4 Way Street.'

1982 This years Eurovision Song Contest winner for Germany 'A Little Peace' by Nicole was at No.1 on the UK singles chart. Her only UK Top 40 hit.

Koala
05-16-2010, 02:59 AM
1969 Pete Townshend spent the night in a US jail for assaulting a man during a Who gig at The Fillmore East. What Townshend didn't know was the man who jumped onto the stage was a plainclothes policeman trying to warn the audience that a fire had broken out. The Who guitarist was later fined $30 for the offence.

1974 Brian May collapsed in New York while Queen were on a US tour and was flown back to England suffering from hepatitis.

1998 Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones falls in his Connecticut home, breaking his ribs and forcing postponement of the Stones' upcoming tour.

2009 The Norwegian musician Alexander Rybak won with his song "Fairytale" the finale of the 54th Euro Vision Song Contest in Moscow with a record winning margin.

Koala
05-17-2010, 02:44 AM
1966 During a UK tour, Bob Dylan appeared at The Free Trade Hall in Manchester. This was the concert where a member of the audience shouted out ‘Judas’ at Dylan unhappy with the singers move from acoustic to rock. Dylan replied with ‘You’re a liar’, the entire concert was eventually officially released in The Bootleg Series by Sony Music in 1999.

1968 Simon and Garfunkel hit #7 with "The Boxer."

1969 It was reported that for the first time ever album sales had overtaken single sales in the UK. 49,184,000 albums were produced during 1968 compared with 49,161,000 singles.

1975 Elton John was awarded a Platinum Record for sales of a million copies of the LP 'Captain Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboy', the first album ever to be certified Platinum on the day of its release.

1996 Kevin Gilbert, multi instrumentalist and songwriter, died of accidental asphyxiation. Member of Giraffe, worked with Sheryl Crow, co-wrote her 1994 UK No.4 hit 'All I Want To Do.'

Koala
05-18-2010, 02:31 AM
1964 The Animals record "House Of The Rising Sun"

1967 John Lennon and Paul McCartney sang backing vocals on The Rolling Stones track 'We Love You' during a session at Olympic Studios, London.

1988 Fleetwood Mac played the first of six sold out nights at Wembley Arena, London on their The Tango In The Night Tour.

2005 Elvis Presley is named the most successful artist of all time by the Guinness Book of Records. The tally is bizarrely based on the total number of weeks he spent on the UK singles and album charts. In at No. 2, Cliff Richard.

2008 Neil Diamond went to No.1 on the UK album chart with ‘Home Before Dark’, also a US No.1.

Koala
05-19-2010, 01:46 AM
1945 Pete Townshend is born.

1976 Rolling Stone Keith Richards crashed his car near Newport Pagnell, Bucks, after falling asleep at the wheel; marijuana and cocaine were found by the police resulting in another fine for the guitarist.

1978 Dire Straits released their first major label single 'Sultans Of Swing', recorded on a £120 budget.

1979 Eric Clapton held a party at his Surrey house celebrating his recent marriage to Patti Boyd. Clapton had set-up a small stage in the garden and as the evening progressed Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr ended up jamming together along with Clapton, Ginger Baker and Mick Jagger. The all-star band ran through old Little Richard and Eddie Cochran songs.

1984 On this day, Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon has been on the American charts for 10 years solid.

Freypower
05-19-2010, 03:15 AM
1978 Dire Straits released their first major label single 'Sultans Of Swing', recorded on a £120 budget.

120 quid? Outrageous! :thumbsup::partytime:

(and the Sultans play creole... creole)....

Prettymaid
05-19-2010, 08:04 AM
I remember when that song first came out. Loved it then, still love it today.

Koala
05-20-2010, 02:02 AM
1944 Joe Cocker is born.

1946 Cher is born.

1964 Rudy Lewis of The Drifters died aged 28 under mysterious circumstances the night before the group was set to record 'Under the Boardwalk'. Former Drifters backup singer Johnny Moore was brought back to perform lead vocals for the recording session.

1966 Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey of the Who grew tired of waiting for John Entwistle and Keith Moon to arrive for their gig at the Ricky Tick Club in Windsor, England so they took to the stage with the bass player and drummer of the local band that opened the show. When Moon and Entwistle finally arrived in the middle of the set, a fight broke out, with Townshend hitting Moon on the head with his guitar. Moon and Entwistle quit the band, (and rejoined a week later).

1997 U2 caused traffic chaos in Kansas City, Missouri after they paid for traffic control to close down five lanes so they could shoot the video for ‘Last Night On Earth’. Apart form major traffic jams a passing Cadillac crashed into a plate glass window trying to avoid a cameraman.

2006 Heavy metal monsters Lordi became Finland’s first ever Eurovision Song Contest winners after their song Hard Rock Hallelujah won in Athens. The band won the Eurovision public vote after singing their heavy rock anthem dressed in horror costumes.

2008 The US Congress passed a resolution designating May 13th as Frank Sinatra Day to honor his contribution to American culure.

EagleLady
05-20-2010, 10:42 AM
1944 Joe Cocker is born.

1946 Cher is born.

1964 Rudy Lewis of The Drifters died aged 28 under mysterious circumstances the night before the group was set to record 'Under the Boardwalk'. Former Drifters backup singer Johnny Moore was brought back to perform lead vocals for the recording session.

1966 Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey of the Who grew tired of waiting for John Entwistle and Keith Moon to arrive for their gig at the Ricky Tick Club in Windsor, England so they took to the stage with the bass player and drummer of the local band that opened the show. When Moon and Entwistle finally arrived in the middle of the set, a fight broke out, with Townshend hitting Moon on the head with his guitar. Moon and Entwistle quit the band, (and rejoined a week later).

1997 U2 caused traffic chaos in Kansas City, Missouri after they paid for traffic control to close down five lanes so they could shoot the video for ‘Last Night On Earth’. Apart form major traffic jams a passing Cadillac crashed into a plate glass window trying to avoid a cameraman.

2006 Heavy metal monsters Lordi became Finland’s first ever Eurovision Song Contest winners after their song Hard Rock Hallelujah won in Athens. The band won the Eurovision public vote after singing their heavy rock anthem dressed in horror costumes.

2008 The US Congress passed a resolution designating May 13th as Frank Sinatra Day to honor his contribution to American culure.

What is up with Pete using his guitar as a weapon? :hilarious:

Koala
05-21-2010, 01:59 AM
1966 The Byrd's "Eight Miles High" is banned by some radio stations because of the lyrics' alleged drug references.

1979 Elton John becomes the first western act to tour the U.S.S.R.

1980 Joe Strummer of The Clash was arrested at a much-troubled gig in Hamburg, Germany, after smashing his guitar over the head of a member of the audience; he was released after an alcohol test proved negative.

1983 Michael Jackson’s album ‘Thriller’ went back to No.1 for the third time on the UK charts and stayed at the top for another five weeks.

Koala
05-22-2010, 02:45 AM
1950 Bernie Taupin is born, Elton John's long-time song writing partner. Rod Stewart, Cher, The Motels, John Waite, Starship and Alice Cooper have all recorded his songs.

1959 Steven Morrissey is born (The Smiths).

1958 As Jerry Lee Lewis begins a British tour, a scandal erupts over his marriage to a barely teenage relative, as well as his two prior divorces. Lewis is booed offstage, the tour is canceled after three shows, and he returns to the U.S. to find himself mired in controversy.

1964 The Beatles arrived back from their first US trip at Heathrow Airport and were greeted by thousands of fans. Also on this day The Beatles scored their second US No.1 album with 'The Beatles Second Album'. It displaced 'Meet The Beatles!' from the top of the charts.

1982 Madness went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Complete Madness', their first No.1 album.

2006 Led Zeppelin and conductor/artistic director Valery Gergiev are awarded the 15th annual Polar Music Prize on by His Majesty King Carl Gustaf XVI of Sweden. The prestigious prize is presented during a nationally televised ceremony from Konserthuset, the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra’s concert hall, where the annual Nobel Prize ceremony is held.

Koala
05-23-2010, 02:44 AM
1978 Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band kick off their first major arena tour in Buffalo, New York. It ends seven months and 109 cities later in Cleveland on January 1, 1979.

1998 Teen heart-throb group Hanson notches a sellout in less than 20 minutes in the Detroit market for a June 29 show at the Pine Knob Amphitheatre.

2000 Oasis release a statement saying that songwriter Noel Gallagher has left the band’s European tour. It’s believed he had fought with brother and bandmate Liam over his drinking.

2002 winners at the 47th Ivor Novello awards included, Dido for Songwriter of the year, Best song went to U2, ‘Walk On.’ Kylie Minogue won The Dance Award and Most Performed Work and International Hit for ‘Can’t Get You Out Of My Head.’ Hear’say won Bestselling UK single for ‘Pure And Simple’. Mick Hucknall won Outstanding Song collection and Kate Bush was awarded Outstanding contribution to British music.

2002 ‘Up For Grabs’ opened at London’s Wyndham’s Theatre featuring Madonna in the lead role. The first night crowd complained that the singer was lacking in vocal power and strained to hear her lines.

Koala
05-24-2010, 02:53 AM
1941 Bob Dylan was born.

1968 The Rolling Stones released the single 'Jumpin Jack Flash' in the UK, the track gave them their seventh UK No.1 hit.

1980 Genesis fans turning up at the Roxy Club box office in Los Angeles to buy tickets for a forthcoming gig were surprised to find the band members Phil Collins, Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford selling the tickets themselves.

1986 Peter Gabriel releases "Sledgehammer" with an acclaimed and innovative claymation video. The single hits #4 in the UK and #2 in the US.

1991 Founder member of The Byrds Gene Clark died of a heart attack aged 49. Wrote The Byrds hits 'I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better', and 'Eight Miles High', member of McGuinn, Clark and Hillman and solo.

1999 Freddie Mercury was featured on a new set of millennium stamps issued by the Royal Mail. The Queen front man who died in 1991, was featured on the 19p stamp. The singer was a keen stamp collector, and his collection was bought by the Post Office in 1993. The stamp marked his contribution to the Live Aid charity concert in 1985.

2003 Paul McCartney made his first ever live performance in Russia when he appeared in-front of 20,000 fans in Red Square.

Koala
05-25-2010, 01:41 AM
1963 The Beach Boys score their first Top Ten hit with "Surfin' USA," Brian Wilson's reworking of Chuck Berry's "Sweet Little Sixteen."

1968 Simon and Garfunkel scored their second US No.1 album with 'Bookends'.

1974 Sweet hits #27 in the UK with 'Sweet Fanny Adams'.

1978 After seeing The Hype (soon to become U2) appearing at the Project Arts Centre, in Dublin, Paul McGuinness became their manager.

1985 Dire Straits scored their second UK No.1 album with 'Brothers In Arms', also No.1 in the US and 24 other countries. It went on to sell over 20 million copies worldwide.

1995 the earliest known recording of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, from 1961, was sold at Christies in London for £50,250 ($85,425).

2003 Elton John, Taylor Dayne and Neil Tennant of Pet Shop Boys play Vienna’s Life Ball to benefit AIDS charities.

tequila girl
05-25-2010, 05:42 AM
1968 Simon and Garfunkel scored their second US No.1 album with 'Bookends'.

Ahhh Bookends! I loved that at the time

TimothyBFan
05-25-2010, 09:33 AM
1974 Sweet hits #27 in the UK with 'Sweet Fanny Adams'.

My second favorite Sweet album. Has my favorite Sweet song on it, Set Me Free.

Need to double click to go direct to YouTube to view this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcwoaW8aNfg

Also had this hit...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeD7VDSLuRU

and...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNIkvo9cqkE

and...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcvVWq3Wtmc

Who said these boys only played Bubble gum music and couldn't ROCK?

Koala
05-26-2010, 01:34 AM
1948 Stevie Nicks is born.

1964 Marianne Faithful recorded the Mick Jagger and Keith Richards song ‘As Tears Go By’, accompanied by future Led Zeppelin members Jimmy Page on guitar and John Paul Jones on bass.

1964 Lenny Kravitz is born.

1966 'The Best of the Animals' enters the U.S. albums charts. It will peak at #6 and stay on the charts for an incredible 113 weeks.

1969 John and Yoko began an eight-day 'bed in', in room 1742 of The Hotel La Reine Elizabeth, Montreal, Canada, to promote world peace. They recorded ‘Give Peace a Chance’ in the hotel room (Petula Clark can be heard on the chorus).

1974 Tragedy struck at a David Cassidy concert at London's White City when over 1,000 fans had to be treated by first aid workers due to the frenzied excitement. One fan Bernadette Whelan died from heart failure four days later.

1994 Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley secretly wed in the Dominican Republic. Elvis’ daughter files for a divorce 20 months later citing irreconcilable differences.

2008 Paul McCartney is awarded an honorary Doctorate of Music from Yale University.

Prettymaid
05-26-2010, 07:16 AM
1948 Stevie Nicks is born.

Ahhh, that explains Soda's avatar and sig!

Brooke
05-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Yeah, I thought something important must be up! Very cute!

Koala
05-27-2010, 02:11 AM
1964 Eleven boys were suspended from a school in Coventry, England for having Mick Jagger haircuts.

1972 Cat Steves hits #6 with "Morning Has Broken."

1977 Declan McManus made his 'live' debut at the Nashville in London as Elvis Costello.

1977 The Sex Pistols single 'God Save The Queen' was released in the UK. Banned by TV and radio, high street shops and pressing plant workers refused to handle the record. It sold 200,000 copies in one week and peaked at No.2 on the UK charts.

1989 Cliff Richard released his one hundredth single, 'The Best Of Me', which became his 26th Top 3 UK hit.

2005 Robbie Williams was voted into first place beating Elvis Presley, Jimi Hendrix and David Bowie to be named the best live solo artist. A UK nation-wide survey of 5,000 people saw the former Take That star beat music icons including Madonna, Michael Jackson and Bob Dylan. U2 were named best live band, ahead of Queen and Oasis, in a poll by Carling to celebrate the UK's live music scene.

2006 For the first time in their 22-year career, Red Hot Chili Peppers score a No. 1 album on the US album chart with ‘Stadium Arcadium’ the bands ninth studio album, also a UK No.1.

Prettymaid
05-27-2010, 09:49 AM
1972 Cat Steves hits #6 with "Morning Has Broken."

:inlove:

Koala
05-28-2010, 02:31 AM
1945 John Fogerty was born.

1977 Heart, Steve Miller, The Eagles and Foreigner all appeared at the Oakland-Alameda County Stadium in California.

1983 the four day US Festival '83' took place in California, featuring The Clash, U2, David Bowie, The Pretenders, Van Halen, Stray Cats, Men At Work, Judas Priest, Stevie Nicks, Willie Nelson. INXS, Joe Walsh, Motley Crue and Ozzy Osbourne. Over 750,000 fans attended the festival.

1998 Elton John & Bernie Taupin’s global hit “Candle In the Wind ‘97″ is a double winner at the Ivor Novello Awards held at London’s Grosvenor House Hotel. The song commemorating the late Princess Diana wins best-selling U.K. single and international hit of the year. Accepting the award, John calls his victory “bittersweet,” noting, “I wish this record had never had to be made.”

2007 The Police kicked off their 152 show Reunion Tour at General Motors Place in Vancouver, Canada in front of 22,000 fans.

Koala
05-29-2010, 03:01 AM
1942 Bing Crosby recorded the Irving Berlin song ‘White Christmas’. It went on to become the biggest-selling single of all time with sales of over 30 million. (It was overtaken by the 1997 Elton John version of ‘Candle In The Wind’.)

1969 'Crosby, Stills & Nash' is released. It is popular on both AM and FM radio, and it hangs on the album chart for 107 weeks. It also yields two hit singles: "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" (#21) and "Marrakesh Express" (#2).

1977 Fleetwood Mac, Bob Seger, Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke and Kenny Logins all appeared at the Tangerine Bowl, Orlando, Florida. Tickets cost $10 - $12.50.

1983 Kiss appear in concert for the last time in makeup (until the inevitable reunion).

1991 In Ohio a truck sideswipes Steve Winwood’s tour bus. Stevie is unhurt.

2001 The Eagles made their first ever visit to Russia when they appeared at SC Olymisky in Moscow.

2007 a piano used by John Lennon on the night he died was put up for sale for $375,000 (£189,000) on The Moments in Time memorabilia website. The upright grand piano was part of the Record Plant Recording Studios in New York where the former Beatle recorded his 1971 Imagine album. Lennon was said to be so fond of the instrument that he had it moved to whichever studio he was working in and had used the piano hours before being shot on 8 December 1980.

Koala
05-30-2010, 02:59 AM
1968 The Beatles begin recording their "White Album"

1969 Supertramp forms.

1974 Excerpts from Mike Oldfield's 'Tubular Bells' are included in 'The Exorcist' soundtrack.

1999 A bomb threat forces the evacuation of more than 3,000 people at a Kenny Rogers concert at Royal Albert Hall in London. No bomb is found and no injuries are reported. I’m extremely disappointed, Rogers states. “I don’t understand who benefits from this. It’s an unpolitical gathering of people who are out for a night of good fun.”

2000 During their first gig without guitarist Noel Gallagher, in Milan, singer Liam tells the audience, “Oasis are a f*cking band, not just one person.”

2005 Coldplay's new album was illegally put on the internet a week before its UK and US release. The leak took place on the day copies were sent to UK radio stations and the day before it went on sale in Japan. Security measures around the release included hosting album playbacks at Abbey Road studios for journalists instead of sending them copies of the album, any CDs that were sent out were labelled with a false name - The Fir Trees - to throw would-be pirates off the scent.

2007 a leaked copy of the new White Stripes album ‘Icky Thump’ was played completely on Chicago’s radio station Q101-WKQX. Jack White personally called the US radio station from Spain, where he was touring, to voice his displeasure.

Koala
05-31-2010, 02:08 AM
1948 John Bonham, drummer for Led Zeppelin is born.

1966 "The Monkees" series debut on NBC-TV.

1976 The Who gave themselves a place in the Guinness book of Records as the loudest performance of a rock band at 120 decibels, when they played at Charlton Athletic Football ground.

1986 Peter Gabriel scored his second solo UK No.1 album with 'So' featuring the singles 'Sledgehammer' and a duet with Kate Bush 'Don't Give Up'.

1989 At New York's International Rock Awards, Keith Richards is given the Living Legend Award. The Rolling Stones guitarist joins in the all-star jam with Eric Clapton and Tina Turner.

Koala
06-01-2010, 02:06 AM
1947 Ron Wood is born.

1964 The Rolling Stones visit the U.S. for the first time. Their arrival at Kennedy Airport is commemorated in the song "Flight 505."

1975 The Rolling Stones kicked off their biggest ever US tour at Louisiana State University. The tour would take in 45 shows in 26 cities. Guitarist Ron Wood joined The Stones on tour for the first time, replacing Mick Taylor.

1982 Madness were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'House Of Fun'. The group's only No.1 from 27 UK Top 40 hits.

1985 Bruce Springsteen kicked off the European leg of his Born in the USA world tour at Slane Castle in Dublin, Ireland.

1996 'Three Lions', (the official song of the England Football team) by Baddiel and Skinner and The Lightning Seeds went to No.1 on the UK singles chart.

1997 Kenny Rogers marries his production assistant Wanda Miller at their farm in Athens. It is the fifth marriage for Rogers, 58, and the second for Miller, 30.

2004 U2 frontman Bono tries to persuade European Union ministers to extend debt relief programs for the world’s poorest countries when he addresses a special meeting in Dublin.

2007 contemporary musicians recorded their own versions of songs from the Beatles' Sgt Pepper's album to mark 40 years since it was released. Acts including Oasis, Travis, The Fray, Kaiser Chiefs, Razorlight, Bryan Adams and The Magic Numbers all worked with Geoff Emerick - the engineer in charge of the original 1967 sessions, using the original analogue 4-track equipment to demonstrates the techniques employed for the recording at Abbey Road studios in 1967.

Koala
06-02-2010, 01:45 AM
1941 Charlie Watts is born.

1964 The first U.S. Rolling Stones concert is held, at a high school in Lynn, Massachusetts.

1973 Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham settles an argument with promoter Bill Graham at a San Francisco gig by emptying a bucket of water over him.

1973 Paul McCartney had both the No.1 positions on the US charts when 'Red Rose Speedway', went to the top of the album chart and 'My Love', started a four week run as the No.1 single.

1984 Wham! had their first UK No.1 with 'Wake Me Up Before You Go Go.' Written and produced by George Michael, one half of the duo. Inspiration for the song was a scribbled note left by his Wham! partner Andrew Ridgeley for Andrew's parents, originally intended to read "wake me up before you go" but with "up" accidentally written twice, so Ridgeley wrote "go" twice on purpose.

1995 Country star Travis Tritt spends the night in a Nashville hospital after collapsing in a recording studio. He is treated for severe exhaustion and dehydration.

1997 Bob Dylan is released from the hospital, where he was treated for pericarditis brought on by histoplasmosis. He says, "I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm just glad to be feeling better. I really thought I'd be seeing Elvis soon."

2003 Following a dispute over songwriting credits with John Lennon's widow Yoko Ono, Paul McCartney agrees to let "Lennon-McCartney" be. McCartney outraged many Beatles fans by demanding "Yesterday" and other McCartney songs be credited to "McCartney-Lennon."

Koala
06-03-2010, 02:13 AM
1972 Jethro Tull hits #1 in the US with 'Thick as a Brick'.

1972 Pink Floyd released Obscured By Clouds in the UK. The album which was recorded in Paris France in less than two weeks peaked at No.6 on the UK chart and No.46 on the US chart.

1983 US session drummer Jim Gordon murdered his mother by pounding her head with a hammer. A diagnosed schizophrenic, it was not until his trial in 1984 that he was properly diagnosed. Due to the fact that his attorney was unable to use the insanity defense, Gordon was sentenced to sixteen years-to-life in prison in 1984. A Grammy Award winner for co-writing Layla with Eric Clapton, Gordon worked with The Beach Boys, John Lennon, George Harrison Frank Zappa and many other artists.

1984 Time After Time (Cyndi Lauper) was a hit.

1993 U2 re-sign with Island, guaranteeing six albums over the next 10 years. The deal nets them $60 million and a royalty rate of 25 percent on their recordings. Very nice.

1998 Alex Van Halen bruises his arm after a chunk of plaster falls from the ceiling of Hamburg's Docks club. Van Halen cancel their concert as a result.

2000 Allman Brother Dickey Betts is arrested after threatening his wife with a knife, destroying his living room in Florida, and disappearing. When discovered by police after a helicopter search, he is sent to a psychiatric unit.

2002 Paul McCartney, Sting, Elton John, Brian Wilson, Cliff Richard, Ozzy Osbourne, The Corrs, Will Young, Atomic Kitten and S Club 7 all appeared at The Queen's Jubilee concert at Buckingham Palace, London.

Koala
06-04-2010, 02:30 AM
1942 Glenn Wallichs launched Capitol Records in the US. The label became home to such artists as Frank Sinatra, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, Bobby Darin, Dean Martin, Glen Campbell, Steve Miller, Dr. Hook, Bob Seger, Tina Turner, Heart and countless others. Wallichs was the man who invented the art of record promotion by sending copies of new releases to disc jockeys.

1966 James Brown hits #8 with "It's A Man's Man's Man's World".

1969 hundreds of people in Glenrowan, Australia signed a petition protesting against the casting of Mick Jagger in the role of the Australian folk hero, Ned Kelly.

1977 Sweet hits #151 in the US with 'Off the Record'.

1984 Bruce Springsteen released the album, ‘Born In The USA’, which went on to top the US chart for 7 weeks and spawn 7 Top 10 singles.

1992 The US Postal Service announced the results of a poll conducted to see which picture of Elvis Presley should be used on a commemorative stamp. The young Elvis beat the (older and larger) Vegas Elvis.

TimothyBFan
06-04-2010, 09:50 AM
1977 Sweet hits #151 in the US with 'Off the Record'.

That makes me angry!! Why didn't the US ever embrace this band like the European countries did?

Freypower
06-04-2010, 07:06 PM
The U.S. didn't get any of the 'glam rock' acts - not Slade, not T. Rex and not even that period of David Bowie. The costumes may have been a bit too 'camp' for some people. Slade's songs, great as they are, were probably too British. Sweet did have a couple of minor hits when they moved closer to 'rock' with Fox On The Run.

It works both ways. By the time punk and New Wave arrived in Britain American 'arena' bands like Journey, Kansas, Styx and so on didn't have a hope there because they were seen as 'dinosaurs'.

Koala
06-07-2010, 01:43 AM
1940 Tom Jones is born.

1969 supergroup Blind Faith, featuring Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and Steve Winwood made their live debut at a free concert in London's Hyde Park.

1969 The Who's 'Tommy', a double-album rock opera, debuts on U.S. charts.

1970 The Long and Winding Road (The Beatles) was a hit.

1975 Elton John's "Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy" album LP becomes the first album to debut at #1 on the Billboard chart.

1977 Led Zeppelin played the first of six sold out nights at Madison Square Garden, in New York City.

1997 Hanson started a three-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'MMMbop'. Originally called The Hanson Brothers, lead singer Zak Hanson was just 13-years-old at the time of the hit. One of the biggest debut singles of all time; reaching No.1 in 27 countries.

2009 Elton John's stage musical "Billy Elliot" wins ten Tony awards, including Best Musical.

Prettymaid
06-07-2010, 07:12 AM
1997 Hanson started a three-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'MMMbop'. Originally called The Hanson Brothers, lead singer Zak Hanson was just 13-years-old at the time of the hit. One of the biggest debut singles of all time; reaching No.1 in 27 countries.

And this was about the same time I had a major revelation - I was getting old! :hilarious:

TimothyBFan
06-07-2010, 08:17 AM
The U.S. didn't get any of the 'glam rock' acts - not Slade, not T. Rex and not even that period of David Bowie. The costumes may have been a bit too 'camp' for some people. Slade's songs, great as they are, were probably too British. Sweet did have a couple of minor hits when they moved closer to 'rock' with Fox On The Run.

I've always like Sweet & Bowie and knew a couple of Marc Bolan & T. Rex and Slade (how can you not move when you hear Run Runaway?) but since I joined my Sweet board a few years ago, I've been given a whole new perspective on Glam & really appreciate they groups now along with Status Quo, Sparks, Suzy Quatro and a few more!!!

Freypower
06-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Status Quo were never really 'glam' though. They have always been a 12 bar boogie band. You will have to tell me which of their songs you are familiar with. They didn't really hit their peak until 1975 (the year I saw them).

Koala
06-08-2010, 02:25 AM
1953 Bonnie Tyler ( 'Total Eclipse Of The Heart') is born.

1960 Mick Hucknall ( Simply Red) is born.

1969 Founder member of The Rolling Stones Brian Jones announced that he was leaving the group, saying that he no longer saw 'eye to eye' with the rest of the band.

1970 Deep Purple had their van and equipment impounded by East German police while on an European tour, after mistakenly driving too close to the border.

1074 Bill Wyman became the first Rolling Stone to release a solo album with 'Monkey Grip', (it peaked at No.39 in the UK and No.99 in the US).

1974 Dolly Parton was at No.1 on the US country chart with 'I Will Always Love You'. The Parton penned song later became a worldwide hit for Whitney Houston in 1992.

1991 Bruce Springsteen married Patti Scialfa, at their Beverley Hills home.

1998 The Rolling Stones announce that they are postponing the U.K. dates on their current European tour until June of the following year. A statement cites “rescheduling problems, insurance claims, and tax issues.
2003 Led Zeppelin were at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘How The West Was Won’, the bands seventh US No.1 album.

2003 Billy Joel wins a Tony Award for the orchestration of his Broadway musical, "Movin' Out"

2007 George Michael was sentenced to 100 hours of community service and banned from driving for two years at Brent Magistrates court, north London. The 43-year-old who was arrested last October after being found slumped at the steering wheel of his car pleaded guilty to driving while unfit, blaming "tiredness and prescribed drugs" for the offence.

2008 Rolling Stone magazine published a list of the Top 50 guitar songs of all time. No.5 was ‘Brown Sugar’ by The Rolling Stones, No.4 , ‘You Really Got Me’ By The Kinks, No.3, ‘Crossroads’, by Cream, No.2 ‘Purple Haze’, by Jimi Hendrix and No.1 ‘Johnny B Goode’, Chuck Berry.

TimothyBFan
06-08-2010, 08:47 AM
2003 Led Zeppelin were at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘How The West Was Won’, the bands seventh US No.1 album.

Oh Yeah--One of my faves along with the BBC Sessions!!

FP--I didn't mean glam so much as different kind of band. Along with The Rubettes and Showaddywaddy. The US just has never really embraced music that was not the norm so to speak. And how about Geordie, Siouxsie & The Banshees and Mud? Don't understand why none of the groups I mentioned weren't given a chance here.

As far as Status Quo--not a huge fan but like Rain, Wild Side of Life, Caroline & Break The Rules.

Koala
06-09-2010, 02:10 AM
1915 Les Paul was born.

1964 During an evening session Bob Dylan recorded ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’ at Columbia Recording Studios in New York City.

1967 Pink Floyd played two gigs in one day, the first at the College of Commerce in Hull, and then the UFO at The Blarney Club, Tottenham Court Road, London, England.

1970 Bob Dylan is awarded an honorary degree in music from Princeton University.

1972 Record executive John Hammond makes Bruce Springsteen his latest signing to CBS.

2002 it was announced that Rolling Stone Mick Jagger was to be given a knighthood for his services to music.

2002 Peter Gabriel marries longtime companion Meah Flynn at the Li Capanni hotel he owns near Sardinia’s Emerald Coast.

2007 George Michael became the first music artist to perform at the new Wembley Stadium in London when he played the first of two shows at the venue during his ‘25 Live Tour’.

Koala
06-10-2010, 02:41 AM
1975 The Eagles release One of These Nights.

1978 The Rolling Stones open a tour in Lakewood, Fla. Bill Wyman falls off stage.

1981 Steve Howe, Geoff Downes, John Wetton, and Carl Palmer form Asia.

1986 Jerry Garcia of The Grateful Dead went into a five day diabetic coma, resulting in the band withdrawing from their current tour.

1989 Jason Donovan was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with his version of the Brian Hyland 1962 hit 'Sealed With A Kiss'. Donovan became the first Australian act to enter the UK charts at No.1.

2004 Ray Charles died aged 73.

2004 Peter Garrett, the former lead singer of Midnight Oil (“Beds are Burning”), announces he will run for a seat on the Australian parliament as a Labour Party candidate.

Koala
06-11-2010, 01:25 AM
1966 European radio stations- mistakently report The Who leid singer Roger Daltry is dead.

1978 The top ten posters for sale in this week NME includded Deborah Harry, Olivia Newton Kohn, Saturday Night Fever, Cheryl Ladd in hot pants, Yes live and Genesis.

1988 Nelson Mandela’s 70th birthday Tribute took place at Wembley Stadium, featuring Whitney Houston, Phil Collins, Dire Straits, Stevie Wonder, Tracy Chapman, George Michael, Eric Clapton, UB40, The Eurythmics and Simple Minds. The event was broadcast live on BBC 2 to 40 different countries with an estimated audience of 1 billion.

2002 Paul McCartney marries his second wife, Heather Mills, in Irland( the markige lasts less than sie years).

2005 Jimmy Page was awarded an OBE 005and Queen guitarist Brian May was awarded a CBE.

Koala
06-12-2010, 12:31 PM
1964 the Beatles arrived in Adelaide, Australia and were greeted by an estimated 250,00 fan. The biegest welcome the band ever receife.
1977 Dreams by Fleedwood Mac was a hit.

1982 Bruce Springsteen, James Taylor, Jackson Brown, Linda Ronstadt and Gary ‘US’Bonds all appeard at a rally for nuklear disarmament in Central Park, NYC to over450,000 fans.

2001 Georgia Hohnohrs native son Travis Tritt by renaming a three-mile Sektion of Highway 92 “ Travis Tritt Highway.

2005 Pink Floyd announced Thai would reunite wich former Bassist Roger Waters, on July 2 for tue Live 8 concert.

Koala
06-13-2010, 02:13 AM
1967 The Bee Gees appeard live on tue UK TV schow “As Like it”. The Group were promoting their debut single “ New York mining Disaster 1941”.

1989 “ The City of Angles” Soundtrack, featuring Peter Gabriel’s “Grieve” Hits #1 in the US.

2000 a roadie who worked for Oasis, Spice Girls and Elton Jhon was arrested and charged wich smuggling millions of Pohunds woth of Ecstasy into tue Uk.

2003 Sting was awarded a CBE and David Gilmour to a CBE.

Koala
06-14-2010, 01:44 AM
1961 Boy George (George O'Dowd) was born

1964 12-year-old Carol Dryden was discovered by railway workers packed in a tea chest on a station platform addressed to The Beatles.

1971 Roxy Music is formed.

1980 Peter Gabriel scored his first UK No.1 album with his third solo release 'Peter Gabriel 3 (Melt)'.

1986 Queen scored their 5th UK No.1 album with 'A Kind Of Magic', featuring the single 'One Vision'.

1986 Bob Geldof was named in HRH The Queen’s Birthday Honours List, receiving an honorary Knighthood in recognition of his humanitarian activities.

1995 Irish rock great Rory Gallagher dies at age 47 in London from complications following a liver transplant.

2002 Mick Jagger became a Sir when he was knighted in the Queen’s Birthday Honours.

Prettymaid
06-14-2010, 07:25 AM
2003 The elder statesman of music were rewarded in this year's Queen's Birthday Honours list for their services to music. Sting was awarded...

I love this term. Joe used it in a radio interview last year or the year before. It sounds so dignified, a title the Eagles have certainly earned.

1964 12-year-old Carol Dryden was discovered by railway workers packed in a tea chest on a station platform addressed to The Beatles.

I had to read this twice - it's so bizarre!

TimothyBFan
06-14-2010, 08:42 AM

I agree PM. What exactly does this mean? Anyone have this story?

tequila girl
06-14-2010, 08:50 AM
I agree PM. What exactly does this mean? Anyone have this story?
Couldn't find much more rhan this:

1964: Workers at a London railway station open a tea chest addressed to the Beatles and find 12-year-old Carol Dryden, a fan who'd decided to mail herself to the group.

TimothyBFan
06-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Wow--12 years old! I wonder how long she'd been in there and how far she had gotten. Wonder if her parents had a clue.

Troubadour
06-14-2010, 03:27 PM
I found this snippet from a Northern newspaper:

Its columnist John Wearmouth is looking for Carol Dryden, a local girl who was 12 at the height of Beatlemania and posted herself to the group in a tea chest, snugly lined with blankets and equipped with a flask for the trip. Postal problems were not unknown then, as now, and she unfortunately ended up in a depot at Crewe where her taps - the flask being empty and the blankets manky - got her let out. Where is she now, asks John Wearmouth, an appeal which the Northerner happily amplifies. If she still has her tea chest, the Beatles museum in Liverpool will surely feature it in the coming European Capital of Culture festivities.

I bet her mum had kittens!

Prettymaid
06-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Manky is a new word to me - I assume it means stinky?

Troubadour
06-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Yeah... dirty, or just a bit gross!

Prettymaid
06-14-2010, 08:43 PM
OK thanks.

Oh, and had kittens means...had a fit?

Troubadour
06-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Yep :)

Koala
06-15-2010, 02:22 AM
1967 Guitarist Peter Green quit the Jhon Mayall Band. Greens new Band was Fleedwood Mac.

1974 ABBA’s debut Album “Waterloo” entered the UK Charts for tue first time.

1985 Dire Straits startet a nine-week run at#1 on tue US Album Charts wich “ Brothers in Arms”

1989 Pink Floyd appeared in Canal di San Marco, Venice, Italy on a floating stage . Over 200000 people attendet the gig.

Koala
06-16-2010, 01:22 AM
1965 Bob Dylan recorded ‘Like A Rolling Stone’ at Columbia Recording Studios in New York City.

1967 The three day Monterey Pop Festival in California began. All the proceeds went to charity when all the artists agreed to perform for free, the “Summer of Love” was born. The festival saw the first major US appearances by The Who, Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin. Also on the bill: The Byrds, Grateful Dead, Otis Redding, Simon & Garfunkel, The Steve Miller Band, Canned Heat, The Mamas And The Papas, Jefferson Airplane, Buffalo Springfield and The Electric Flag. Tickets cost $3.50–6.50 (£2–3.80). John Phillips, of The Mamas and The Papas would later write, ‘San Francisco’ (Be Sure To Wear Flowers In Your Hair) about the festival, which became a hit for Scott McKenzie.

1977 Kenny Rogers was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Lucille'. It was the American Country music singer's first of two UK No.1's.

1985 Heaven (Bryan Adams) was a hit.

1999 Phil Collins gets a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Prettymaid
06-16-2010, 07:54 AM
Wow, look at those ticket prices back in '67!

luvthelighthouse
06-16-2010, 09:43 AM
Service Fees are higher than those tix prices. I don't think salaries have managed to inflate the way ticket prices have. Dang...

Koala
06-17-2010, 02:16 AM
1947 Paul Young was born ( Sad Cafe, Mike & the Mechanics)
1963 The Rolling Stones released their first UK single, 'Come On', it peaked at No.21 on the UK chart.

1978 Andy Gibb became the first solo artist in the history of the US charts to have his first three releases reach No.1, when ‘Shadow Dancing’ hit the top of the chart. Spending seven weeks at No.1 it became the best selling single in the US in 1978.

1984 Culled from roughly 100 songs recorded over the previous year and a half, Bruce Springsteen's 'Born in the U.S.A.' is released. It becomes one of the biggest albums of the Eighties, remaining at #1 for seven weeks and selling more than 15 million copies. It also launches seven Top Ten singles: "Dancing in the Dark" (#2), "Cover Me" (#7), "Born in the U.S.A." (#9), "I'm On Fire" (#6), "Glory Days" (#5), "I'm Goin' Down" (#9) and "My Hometown" (#6).

2008 Welsh singer Duffy’s single Mercy was named song of the year at the Mojo magazine awards held in London. Best breakthrough act went to The Last Shadow Puppets – the side project of Arctic Monkeys singer Alex Turner. Other acts honoured at the reader-voted Mojo Honours included Led Zeppelin, Paul Weller, the Sex Pistols and Genesis. Ska band the Specials were welcomed into the Mojo Hall of Fame and former Creedence Clearwater Revival frontman John Fogerty, won the inspiration award for his contribution to rock music.

Koala
06-18-2010, 02:12 AM
1942 Born on this day, Paul McCartney!

1964 Touring Australia The Beatles played at Sydney Stadium in Sydney. This was Paul McCartney’s 22nd birthday and after the show his guests included 17 girls who were winners of the Daily Mirrors “Why I would like to be a guest at a Beatles birthday party” competition.

1967 Jimi Hendrix performs at the Monterey International Pop Festival. Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones introduces him as "the most exciting performer I've ever heard." At the end of his performance, he burns his Fender Stratocaster. "The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice," Jimi said. "You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar. I'd just finished painting it that day and was really into it." Literally overnight, the Jimi Hendrix Experience become one of the most popular acts in rock music.

1977 Fleetwood Mac went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Dreams', the group's first and only US No.1, it made No.24 in the UK.
1987 Bruce Springsteen separates from his wife, actress Julianne Phillip.

2002 U2 lost a bid to prevent the demolition of Hanover Quay studio in Dublin. Over 8,000 fans signed an online petition to preserve the studio, where the group recorded ‘All That You Can’t Leave Behind’ and some of their ‘Pop’ album.

Prettymaid
06-18-2010, 07:35 AM
1942 Born on this day, Paul McCartney! :birthday:

I'm sure this will be in other threads, but Happy birthday Paul!

tequila girl
06-18-2010, 08:05 AM
Not my favourite "Beatle" by any means.....but, Happy Birthday Sir Paul!

TimothyBFan
06-18-2010, 10:02 AM
1964 Touring Australia The Beatles played at Sydney Stadium in Sydney. This was Paul McCartney’s 22nd birthday and after the show his guests included 17 girls who were winners of the Daily Mirrors “Why I would like to be a guest at a Beatles birthday party” competition.

OoooK--- that's one way to celebrate his birthday. But instead of 17 girls--maybe they should of went with 22! :hilarious:

Koala
06-19-2010, 11:50 AM
1965 The Rolling Stones Score their first#1 on tue American Charts with “ Satisfaction”.

1984 Tickets for Bruce Springsteen’s 10-night stand at New Jersay’s Meadowland go on sale. 24 hours later, 202000 tickets have been snatched up.

1986 Genesis Hits#3 in tue US with “ Invisible Touch”.

1987 Gun’s Roses made their UK live debut in London.

Koala
06-20-2010, 06:50 AM
1955 Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony is born

1965 The Beatles begin a 14-day European tour with two performances at the Palais Des Sports in Paris, France. The Beatles' set list for this tour: ‘Twist and Shout’, ‘She's a Woman’, ‘I'm a Loser’, ‘Can't Buy Me Love’, ‘Baby's In Black’, ‘I Wanna Be Your Man’, ‘A Hard Day's Night’, ‘Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby’, ‘Rock and Roll Music’, ‘I Feel Fine’, ‘Ticket to Ride’, and ‘Long Tall Sally’.

1969 The first of a three day Festival in Newport, California, featuring: Ike And Tina Turner, Marvin Gaye, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Byrds, The Rascals, Steppenwolf, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Janis Joplin, Johnny Winter, Eric Burdon and Love. A three day ticket cost $15 (£8.80). Hendrix received $125,000 for his appearance, at the time it was the highest fee ever paid to a rock act for a single appearance.

1980 During a UK tour Fleetwood Mac played the first of six sold-out nights at Wembley Arena, London, England.

1986 Phil Collins, Dire Straits, Tina Turner and Elton John all appeared at the fourth annual ‘Prince’s Trust Rock Gala’ held in London.

2004 In St. Petersburg’s Palace Square, Paul Mccartney plays his 3000 gig since first performing with the Quarrymen. 50,000 Russians turn out to see the ex-Beatle, who predictably plays “Back in the USSR.”

2008 American singer songwriter Jimmy Buffett announced that his Margaritaville Holdings has partnered with New York gambling company Coastal Marina to buy the Trump Marina Hotel Casino for $316 million. His vast business empire also included tequila, beer, frozen food, footwear, restaurants, a resort, a record label and a recording studio. In 2006, Rolling Stone magazine estimated Buffett's earnings at $44 million.

Koala
06-21-2010, 02:18 AM
1950 Joey Kramer of Aerosmith is born.

1966 Jimmy Page made his live debut with The Yardbirds at the Marquee Club, London.

1975 Elton John, The Beach Boys, Joe Walsh, Rufus and The Eagles all appeared in front of 120,000 fans at Wembley Stadium, London. Tickets cost £3.50 ($5.95).

1986 Genesis scored their fourth UK No.1 album with 'Invisible Touch'.

1993 The U.S. Supreme Court agrees to hear an appeal from John Fogerty. He’s hoping to recoup legal fees from a copyright battle with the other members of Creedence Clearwater Revival.

2001 John Lee Hooker, American blues singer and guitarist died in his sleep aged 83. Had hits will 'Boom Boom', 'Dimples' and 'I'm In The Mood'. His songs have been covered by many artists including Cream, AC/DC, ZZ Top, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Van Morrison, The Yardbirds, The Doors and The White Stripes. He appeared and sang in the 1980 movie The Blues Brothers.

2003 U2 and The Corrs perform at the opening ceremony of the Special Olympics, held in Croke Park in Dublin, Ireland.

TimothyBFan
06-21-2010, 08:29 AM
1966 Jimmy Page made his live debut with The Yardbirds at the Marquee Club, London.

:bow:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/Legends%20of%20Rock/yardbirds.jpg

Koala
06-22-2010, 01:31 AM
1936 Kris Kristofferson is born.

1953 Cyndi Lauper is born.

1963 13-year old Stevie Wonder first entered the US singles chart as Little Stevie Wonder with 'Fingertips Parts One and Two.'

1969 American singer, actress, Judy Garland, died of a barbiturate overdose aged 47, she was found on the floor of her rented Chelsea home, in London, UK. Made more than two dozen films, played Dorothy in the 1939 film 'Wizard Of Oz', sang 'Over The Rainbow' in the film, (voted the 'Song Of The Century' in a 2001 poll published in America). 1961 US No.1 comeback album 'Judy At Carnegie Hall'.

1975 At New York’s Madison Square Garden, Eric Clapton joins the Rolling Stones onstage to jam on “Sympathy for the Devil.”
1981 Mark Chapman pleaded guilty to the charge of murdering John Lennon in 1980. He was later sentenced to 20 years to life.
1985 The soundtrack from the film 'Beverly Hills Cop' started a two-week run at No.1 on the US album chart.

1990 Billy Joel is the first rock act to perform at New York's Yankee Stadium, selling out the 100,000+ sports venue for back-to-back shows. A concert video, 'Live at Yankee Stadium', is culled from the shows.

1998 Sir Paul McCartney personally chose and arranged the 45,000 flowers that decorate Manhattan’s Riverside Church where the friends and family of Linda McCartney gather to say a candlelit good-bye to the wife of the former Beatle.

TimothyBFan
06-22-2010, 07:37 AM
1975 At New York’s Madison Square Garden, Eric Clapton joins the Rolling Stones onstage to jam on “Sympathy for the Devil.”

Can you imagine!!! WOW!

Koala
06-23-2010, 01:31 AM
1960 Eddie Cochran was at No.1 in the UK with the single 'Three Steps To Heaven'. The American singer had been killed 3 months earlier in a car crash while touring the UK.

1975 Alice Cooper falls off a Vancouver stage and breaks six ribs.
1990 13-year-old Keith Sorrentino filed a $500,000 (£294,11 lawsuit against Madonna, claiming he suffered nightmares and bed-wetting problems after an incident outside Madonna’s home when she allegedly flung him to the ground.

1990 Elton John had his first UK solo No.1 single with ‘Sacrifice / Healing Hands’ after achieving over 50 previous UK hits and 6 chart toppers in the US.

2002 the top pop earners from US sales during 2001 were listed by Rolling Stone magazine as: Madonna at No.5 with £29.1 million ($49.5 million); Dave Matthews Band at No.4 with £31 million ($52.7 million); The Beatles at No.3 with £34.2 million ($58 million); Dr. Dre at No.2 with £37.1 million ($63 million) and, top of the list, U2 with £44.2 million ($75 million).

2006 Robert Plant leads the bill for a June 23 benefit concert for Love principal Arthur Lee, who is battling leukemia.

Koala
06-24-2010, 02:23 AM
1944 Jeff Beck was born.

1947 Mick Fleetwood was born.

1978 Genesis hits #23 with "Follow You Follow Me".

1978 Peter Gabriel hits #45 in the US with his self-titled second album.

1992 Billy Joel receives his high school diploma from Hicksville High School on Long Island, N.Y. He failed to graduate with his class in 1967 because of missed gym and English credits. The school choir sings Joel’s song “Summer, Highland Falls” at the ceremony.

1998 Johnny Cash joins Kris Kristofferson onstage in Nashville to sing "Sunday Morning Coming Down." It's Cash's first live performance since announcing he suffers from Shy-Drager Syndrome.

1999 Eric Clapton put 100 of his guitars up for auction at Christie's in New York City to raise money for his drug rehab clinic, the Crossroads Centre in Antigua. His 1956 Fender Stratocaster named Brownie, which was used to record the electric version of ‘Layla’, sold for a record $497,500. The auction helped raise nearly $5 million for the clinic.

2004 a Fender Stratocaster that Eric Clapton nicknamed “Blackie” sold at a Christie’s auction for $959,500 (£564,412) in New York, making it the most expensive guitar in the world. The proceeds of the sale went towards Clapton’s Crossroads addiction clinic, which he founded in 1998.

TimothyBFan
06-24-2010, 08:56 AM
1999 Eric Clapton put 100 of his guitars up for auction at Christie's in New York City to raise money for his drug rehab clinic, the Crossroads Centre in Antigua. His 1956 Fender Stratocaster named Brownie, which was used to record the electric version of ‘Layla’, sold for a record $497,500. The auction helped raise nearly $5 million for the clinic.

I know I would of never been able to afford any of these but I sure would of loved to have been able to see all those guitars lined up in one spot and know that Eric had played them!

Koala
06-25-2010, 01:38 AM
1967 200 million people saw The Beatles perform 'All You Need Is Love', live via satellite as part of the TV global link- up, 'Our World', Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Graham Nash, Keith Moon and Gary Leeds provided backing vocals.

1977 'The Muppet Show' album by The Muppets went to No.1 on the UK album chart.

1993 Bruce Springsteen was a surprise guest on David Letterman's final show as host of NBC's Late Night.

1995 Pink Floyd were at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Pulse’ the bands fifth US No.1.

2005 tickets for a forthcoming Rolling Stones gig at the Hollywood Bowl were set to become the most expensive in rock ‘n’ roll history. Fans would have to pay up to £249 for a seat – £2 per minute to watch the Stones.

2006 Nicole Kidman married her singer boyfriend Keith Urban at ceremony in Sydney, Australia. X-Men actor Hugh Jackman, media magnate Rupert Murdoch and King Kong actress Naomi Watts were among the guests at the service.

2009 Michael Jackson died at the age of 50, after suffering heart failure at his home in Beverly Hills. Jackson is credited for transforming the music video into an art form

Koala
06-26-2010, 02:23 AM
1956 Chris Isaak was born.

1965 The Byrds went to No.1 on the US singles chart with their version of Bob Dylan's 'Mr Tambourine Man'. Only Roger McGuinn from the band played on the song, the drummer Hal Blaine played on the track also played on 'Bridge Over Troubled Water'.

1977 Elvis Presley delivers his last live performance, at Market Square Arena in Indianapolis, Indiana.

1999 Elton John was reported to be in talks with a City finance house to secure a £25 million ($42.5 million) loan, using his back catalogue of hits as security. It had been reported that Elton had been spending £250,000 ($425,000) a week on credit cards.

2008 Total Guitar magazine voted Celine Dion’s rendition of the AC/DC track ‘You Shook Me All Night Long’ as the world’s worst cover version ever, the magazines editor Stephen Lawson said Dion’s cover was “sacrilege”. In the best cover versions list, Jimi Hendrix was voted into first place with his version of the Bob Dylan song ‘All Along the Watchtower,’ The Beatles’ rendition of ‘Twist and Shout’, (first recorded by the Top Notes), was in second place, followed by the Guns N’ Roses version of the Wings song ‘Live and Let Die’

Koala
06-27-2010, 02:29 AM
1970 Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Byrds, Canned Heat, Steppenwolf, Jefferson Airplane, Johnny Winter, Frank Zappa And The Mothers of Invention, Dr. John, The Moody Blues and Fairport Convention all appeared at the 3-day Bath Festival of Blues and Progressive Music in Bath, England, tickets £1.10s.

1970 Freddie Mercury made his live debut with Smile (guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylors' group) at Truro City Hall, Cornwall, England.

1992 Michael Jackson played the first night on his Dangerous World tour at the Olympic Stadium in Munich, Germany. The tour consisted of 69 concerts to approximately 3.9 million fans across three continents. All profits made from the tour were donated to various charities including the Heal the World Foundation, Jackson's main reason for conducting the tour.

1992 Genesis hits #12 in the US with "Hold On My Heart".

Koala
06-28-2010, 01:47 AM
1969 Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeppelin, Nice, John Mayall, Ten Years After, Taste, Liverpool Scene and Chicken Shack all appeared at The Bath Festival of Blues in England, the DJ was John Peel. Tickets cost 18/6.

1975 The Eagles started a five-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'One Of These Nights'.

1977 Elton John achieved a life long ambition when he became the Chairman of Watford Football Club.

1990 At a concert in Liverpool, England, Paul McCartney performs the John Lennon songs "Strawberry Fields Forever," "Help!," and "Give Peace a Chance" live in public for the first time. In heaven, a Scouser can be heard crying behind a cloud.

1997 George Harrison has an operation to remove a growth from his neck. The tumor proves to be benign.

TimothyBFan
06-28-2010, 09:02 AM
1970 Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Byrds, Canned Heat, Steppenwolf, Jefferson Airplane, Johnny Winter, Frank Zappa And The Mothers of Invention, Dr. John, The Moody Blues and Fairport Convention all appeared at the 3-day Bath Festival of Blues and Progressive Music in Bath, England, tickets £1.10s.

I don't know what that price converts to is USD but I know it's an amazing price for so much music!!

1970Freddie Mercury made his live debut with Smile (guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylors' group) at Truro City Hall, Cornwall, England.

Little did they know what would come from this!

Troubadour
06-28-2010, 06:55 PM
I don't know what that price converts to is USD but I know it's an amazing price for so much music!!

It's the equivalent of $1.66. Not bad, hey?

Prettymaid
06-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Ah, those were the days.

And I was twelve.

Koala
06-29-2010, 01:04 AM
1967 Rolling Stone Keith Richard was found guilty of allowing his house to be used for the illegal smoking of cannabis. He was sentenced to one year in jail and a £500 ($850) fine, (prison number 5855). Mick Jagger was also fined £100 ($170) and given three months in jail on drug charges. Jagger and Richards were both released and granted bail of £7,000 the following day.

1984 Bruce Springsteen kicked off the first leg of his Born in the USA Tour with a three night run at the Civic Center in St. Paul, Minnesota. Springsteen would play a total of 156 shows ending on October 2, 1985 in Los Angeles.

1991 Jason Donovan had his third UK No.1 single with 'Any Dream Will Do' a song written by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice for the 1968 musical Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Donovan was playing the lead role in a new London production of the musical.

1998 George Harrison announces that he's been having treatments for throat cancer, but says he's hale, adding, "I'm not going to die on you folks just yet."

1999 Michael Jackson suffered severe bruising after falling over 50 feet when a bridge collapsed during a concert at Munich's Olympic stadium. Jacko was singing 'Earth Song' at the time of the accident.
2000 eight men were trampled to death during Pearl Jam’s performance at The Roskilde festival, near Copenhagen. Police said the victims had all slipped or fallen in the mud in front of the stage.

Koala
06-30-2010, 01:35 AM
1944 Glenn Shorrock ( Little River Band) was born.

1951 Andy Scott (Sweet) was born.

1966 The Beatles played the first of three concerts at the Nippon Budokan Hall, Japan. The concert was filmed with The Beatles wearing black suits. The following day's first performance was also filmed; with The Beatles wearing white suits. There was a strict police presence with 3,000 police observing each concert played in front of 10,000 fans.

1973 George Harrison knocked Paul McCartney from the top of the US singles chart with 'Give Me Love, Give Me Peace On Earth'. His second US No.1, a No.8 hit in the UK.

1977 Marvel Comics launched a comic book based on the rock group Kiss.

1985 Sussudio (Phil Collins) was a hit.

1999 Eric Clapton performs a benefit concert at Madison Square Garden for his Crossroads rehab center in Antigua. His guests include Sheryl Crow, Mary J. Blige, and Bob Dylan.

Koala
07-01-2010, 01:35 AM
1963 The Beatles recorded their next single at EMI Studios, London, ‘She Loves You’ and ‘I'll Get You’, completing the two songs in less than four hours. Released in August this year, ‘She Loves You’ went on to become The Beatles' first million-selling single.

1985 Billy Joel's 'Greatest Hits, Volume I & Volume II' is released. By 1999, the hit-filled double album will have surpassed 10 million in sales, earning the RIAA's Diamond Award.

2000 Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band ended their Reunion tour with a ten night run at New York's MSG.

Koala
07-02-2010, 01:15 AM
1962 Jimi Hendrix was honourably discharged from the 101st Airborne Paratroopers, after breaking his ankle during his 26th and final parachute jump.

1966 Frank Sinatra went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Strangers In The Night'. The song was taken from the film 'A Man Could Get Killed'. Also a No.1 in the UK.

1966 David Bowie and The Lower Third appeared at The Lion Hotel in Warrington, England, (they were paid £30 for the gig). Also appearing was The Powerhouse which featured Eric Clapton Jack Bruce, Steve Winwood and Paul Jones.

1971 Queen appeared at Surrey College, England. This was the group's first gig with the line-up of Freddie Mercury, Brian May, Roger Taylor and John Deacon.

1988 Michael Jackson became the first artist to have five number one singles from one album when ‘Dirty Diana’ went to the top of the US charts. The other four chart-toppers from the LP ‘Bad’ were the title track, ‘I Just Can't Stop Loving You’, ‘The Way You Make Me Feel’ and ‘Man in the Mirror’.

1992 Mick Jagger's daughter, Jade makes him a grandfather.

2001 Yoko Ono visits the Beatle’s hometown of Liverpool, England, to attend a ceremony announcing the renaming of the Liverpool Airport as the Liverpool John Lennon Airport in honor of her late husband.

2005 Live 8 concerts are held in locations from London to Philadelphia to Tokyo to raise awareness of African poverty. Among the performers are Madonna, Green Day, Paul McCartney, U2, Stevie Wonder, Jay-Z, a reunited Pink Floyd with Roger Waters, Stevie Wonder, Bjork, Jet, Simple Plan, Neil Young, Maroon 5, Pet Shop Boys, The Cure and Shakira.

Koala
07-03-2010, 02:36 AM
1969 James Brown, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Sly and the Family Stone, Jeff Beck, Savoy Brown, Johnny Winter, Jethro Tull, Buddy Guy Blues Band, Mothers Of Invention and Ten Years After all appeared at the four day US Newport Jazz Festival in Rhode Island.

1971 American singer, songwriter and poet, Jim Morrison of The Doors was found dead in a bathtub in Paris, France, the cause of death was given as a heart attack. He co-wrote some of the group's biggest hits, including ‘Light My Fire’, ‘Love Me Two Times’, and ‘Love Her Madly.’ On the 25th anniversary of his death an estimated 15,000 fans gathered at Pere Lachaise Cemetery in Paris, France to pay their respects.

1974 Rush releases self-titled debut album.

1976 Brian Wilson appears onstage with the Beach Boys for the first time in seven years, in Anaheim, California.

1998 Bob Dylan plays the 1,000th show on the “Neverending Tour” at the 32nd annual Montreux Jazz Festival.

2002 Sir Elton John became the first person to be made an honorary doctorate from the Royal Academy Of Music.

Koala
07-04-2010, 02:23 AM
1966 The Beatles played two shows at Rizal Memorial Football Stadium, Manila, in the Philippines to over 80,000 fans. The Beatles failed to appear at a palace reception hosted by President Marcos' family, who were not informed that the Beatles had declined their invitation. The Philippine media misrepresent this as a deliberate snub and when Brian Epstein tries to make a televised statement, his comments are disrupted by static. The next day, as The Beatles make their way to the airport they were greeted by angry mobs, the Philippine government had retaliated by refusing police protection for The Beatles.

1969 Janis Joplin, Led Zeppelin, Johnny Winter, Delaney and Bonnie, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Canned Heat, Joe Cocker, Blood Sweat & Tears, Chuck Berry, Spirit, Chicago and Paul Butterfield all appeared at the two-day Atlanta Pop Festival, Byron, Georgia.

1985 Dire Straits played the first of ten consecutive nights at London's Wembley Arena.

1999 Elton John, 52, collapses. Tests show that he has an irregular heartbeat. John soon has a pacemaker fitted at a London hospital.

2003 Barry White ("You're The First, The Last, My Everything") dies of liver failure

Koala
07-05-2010, 01:10 AM
1950 Huey Lewis is born.

1969 The Rolling Stones gave a free concert in London's Hyde Park before an audience of 250,000, as a tribute to Brian Jones who had died two days earlier. Mick Jagger read an extract from Percy Bysshe Shelley's 'Adonais' and released 3,500 butterflies; it was also guitarist's Mick Taylor's debut with the Stones, King Crimson, Family, The Third Ear Band, Screw and Alexis Korner's New Church also appeared on the day.

1971 A Led Zeppelin gig in Milan turns violent when police fire tear gas at the crowd. The band escapes unharmed, but numerous arrests are made and a roadie is hit in the head with a bottle.

1975 Pink Floyd, Captain Beefheart, Steve Miller and Roy Harper all appeared at The Knebworth Festival, England, tickets cost £3.50. Pink Floyd premiered their new album ‘Wish You Were Here’ with the help of Spitfires, pyrotechnics and an exploding plane which flies into the stage.

1999 The Eurythmics announced their first world tour for more than 10 years and that all profits would be given to charity. The duo made the announcement from the Greenpeace boat 'Rainbow Warrior' moored on the River Thames in London.

2005 Pink Floyd's David Gilmour said artists who had seen album sales soar after the Live 8 concerts should donate their profits to charity, "This is money that should be used to save lives." UK sales figures released two days after the London concert showed Pink Floyd’s Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd had risen by 1343%, The Who’s-Then and Now by 863% and Annie Lennox-Eurythmics Greatest Hits by 500%.

tequila girl
07-05-2010, 04:52 AM
1975 Pink Floyd, Captain Beefheart, Steve Miller and Roy Harper all appeared at The Knebworth Festival, England, tickets cost £3.50. Pink Floyd premiered their new album ‘Wish You Were Here’ with the help of Spitfires, pyrotechnics and an exploding plane which flies into the stage.

I was there!!! :headbang: :smokin: :rockon:

sodascouts
07-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Wow! How cool!

Koala
07-06-2010, 01:43 AM
How Cool, TG!:guitar:

1925 Bill Haley was born.

1949 Michael Shrieve was born.

1957 John Lennon and Paul McCartney met for the first time at The Woolton Church Parish Fete where The Quarry Men were appearing. As The Quarry Men were setting up for their evening performance, McCartney eager to impress Lennon picked up a guitar and played ‘Twenty Flight Rock’ (Eddie Cochran) and ‘Be-Bop-A-Lula’ (Gene Vincent). Lennon was impressed, and even more so when McCartney showed Lennon and Eric Griffiths how to tune their guitars, something they'd been paying someone else to do for them.

1973 Queen released their debut single ‘Keep Yourself Alive’ in the UK.

1985 Phil Collins went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Sussudio', his third US No.1, it made No.12 in the UK.

1987 The popular film biography of Ritchie Valens, 'La Bamba,' opens nationally. Lou Diamond Phillips is cast in the lead role, and Los Lobos' soundtrack recording of "La Bamba" becomes a #1 hit.

1987 Here’s a sticky situation. Kris Kristofferson was given a plaque by a Vietnam veterans’ group after playing a benefit concert for it on July 4. Later the award was found in Kristofferson’s trashcan. He apologizes for the apparent disrespect today and later donates $1,000 to the Vietnamese Veterans Association.

2001 a pair of Sir Elton John's sandals was set to become the most expensive shoes in history when they went under the hammer for charity. Offers over £20,000 were invited for the Salvatore Ferragamo sandals to raise funds for Elton's Aid Trust

TimothyBFan
07-06-2010, 08:23 AM
I was there!!! :headbang: :smokin: :rockon:

WOW!!! What an experience that had to be!

1987 Here’s a sticky situation. Kris Kristofferson was given a plaque by a Vietnam veterans’ group after playing a benefit concert for it on July 4. Later the award was found in Kristofferson’s trashcan. He apologizes for the apparent disrespect today and later donates $1,000 to the Vietnamese Veterans Association.

This pretty much made me sick! And then has the audacity to donate a WHOLE $1,000--wow--what a guy---NOT!! :mad:

EagleLady
07-06-2010, 02:45 PM
We don't know for sure Kristofferson put it there. I thought they gave their awards to their road managers or something

Koala
07-07-2010, 01:06 AM
1940 Ringo Starr was born. :birthday:

1968 the Yardbirds played their final gig at Luton Technical College in Bedfordshire, England.

1969 George Harrison recorded his new song ‘Here Comes the Sun’ with just two other Beatles, Paul McCartney and Ringo Star at Abbey Road in London. John Lennon was absent recovering from a car crash in Scotland.

1980 Led Zeppelin played their last-ever concert when they appeared in West Berlin at the end of a European tour. The set included ‘Black Dog’, ‘Rock and Roll’, ‘Kashmir’, ‘Trampled Underfoot’ and ‘Stairway To Heaven’. They finished the show with ‘Whole Lotta Love’. ( Until they reunited for a one-off benifit concert 2007)

1984 Bruce Springsteen went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Born In The USA'. The album went on to spend a total of 139 weeks on the US chart. Its also one of three albums (Michael Jackson's Thriller and Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814) to produce seven Top-ten US singles.

2006 Syd Barrett died from complications arising from diabetes aged 60. The singer, songwriter, guitarist was one of the founding members of Pink Floyd, active as a rock musician for only about seven years before he went into seclusion. He joined Pink Floyd in 1965 but left three years later after one album. Barrett released two solo albums before going into self-imposed seclusion lasting more than thirty years, with his mental deterioration blamed on drugs.

2007 the Live Earth concerts took place around the world with The Police closing the days events in New Jersey. The concerts were organised by former US Vice-President Al Gore, as part of his campaign to "heal the planet". Rock stars from around the world performed to hundreds of thousands of fans to highlight climate change. Concerts were held in Washington, Rio de Janeiro, Johannesburg, London, Hamburg, Tokyo, Shanghai and Sydney. Madonna brought London's Live Earth concert to a close, playing a song she had written for the event. Other major acts who appeared included; Snow Patrol, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Genesis, The Beastie Boys, James Blunt, The Foo Fighters, Duran Duran, UB40, Snoop Dogg, Enrique Iglesias, Crowded House & Joss Stone.

2009 Michael Jackson's family and fans said farewell to the pop superstar at an emotional memorial service. The singer's coffin was placed in front of the stage during the event at the Staples Center in Los Angeles after an earlier private funeral. Jackson's daughter Paris, 11, fought back tears to describe him as "the best father you could ever imagine". Stevie Wonder, Lionel Richie and Mariah Carey paid tribute before the family joined a sombre finale on stage. Motown boss Berry Gordy, who signed the Jackson Five, ended his tribute with the words: "Michael, thank you for the joy, thank you for the love. You will live in my heart forever."

TimothyBFan
07-07-2010, 08:18 AM
1980 Led Zeppelin played their last-ever concert when they appeared in West Berlin at the end of a European tour. The set included ‘Black Dog’, ‘Rock and Roll’, ‘Kashmir’, ‘Trampled Underfoot’ and ‘Stairway To Heaven’. They finished the show with ‘Whole Lotta Love’. ( Until they reunited for a one-off benifit concert 2007)

My biggest regret (musically anyways), is that I never got to see them live in concert. If I could have one silly musical wish, it would be to see a live Zeppelin show (impossible now I know) or at the very least see Jimmy Page :bow: perform just once!!

Freypower
07-07-2010, 07:02 PM
We saw Page & Plant in 1995.

My husband saw Page solo back in England & saw Plant several times back then too.

Koala
07-08-2010, 01:05 AM
1968 Pink Floyd kicked off their first 20-date North American tour at the Kinetic Playground in Chicago.

2002 Michael Jackson spoke out against the music industry's treatment of artists, alleging that the business was rife with racism. Speaking at a civil rights meeting in New York, Jackson claimed there was a 'conspiracy' among record companies, especially towards black artists. A spokesman for Jackson's record label said the remarks were 'ludicrous, spiteful and hurtful.'

2003 A tooth and lock of hair reputedly belonging to Elvis Presley turns up for sale on eBay.

2004, Mark Purseglove known as the world’s ‘biggest bootlegger’ was sentenced to 3 years 6 months jail by Blackfriars Crown Court. Purseglove had built up a £15 million pirate CD empire by bootlegging live concerts of some of the world's biggest stars including The Beatles, David Bowie and Pink Floyd.

2007 Prince was forced off stage by police halfway through his set at the First Avenue nightclub during a late-night gig in his home town of Minneapolis. The club was only allowed to stay open until 3.am but Prince took to the stage at 2.45am. Prince had already played two concerts in Minneapolis before his late-night club appearance; His first performance was at a department store, where he promoted his new cologne with a nine-song, 45-minute set.

TimothyBFan
07-08-2010, 08:06 AM
We saw Page & Plant in 1995.

My husband saw Page solo back in England & saw Plant several times back then too.

Rub it in!!! :eyebrow: :hilarious: Any great stories to tell about those experiences or pictures to share!! In case you haven't noticed---I'm somewhat in awe of Pagey!! :bow:

Freypower
07-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Rub it in!!! :eyebrow: :hilarious: Any great stories to tell about those experiences or pictures to share!! In case you haven't noticed---I'm somewhat in awe of Pagey!! :bow:

No photos but we were in the third row. If you have seen the Unledded DVD it was pretty much like that. The highlight was Going To California which I did not expect at all. At one point they did a medley of old rock songs and included part of Down By The Seaside.

When Mike saw Page he played the opening notes of Stairway To Heaven & the audience sang the entire lyric - there was no singer on stage. When he saw Plant he said that after a few solo songs suddenly the familiar intro to Trampled Under Foot started and the crowd went wild.

Koala
07-09-2010, 01:53 AM
1972 Paul McCartney and Wings kicked off a 26-date tour appearing at the French town Chateauvillon. The band travelled on a double Decker London bus with psychedelic interior.

1983 The Police started an eight week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Every Breath You Take' also No.1 in the UK. Taken from the bands album Synchronicity, Sting won Song of the Year and The Police won Best Pop Performance for the song at the 1984 Grammy Awards.

1983 The soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever's less successful sequel, 'Stayin' Alive', is released. Again, the Bee Gees contribute, notching one Top Forty single, "The Woman in You" (#24)

1990 The Rolling Stones miss a scheduled show for the first time ever when Keith Richards' index finger becomes inflamed, in Glasgow, Scotland.

1999 Elton John had a pacemaker fitted in an operation at a London hospital following reports about his ill health. Sir Elton was forced to cancel a series of concerts.

Koala
07-10-2010, 04:43 AM

1964 200,000 Liverpudlians took to the streets to celebrate The Beatles return to Liverpool for the northern premiere of the group's first film 'A Hard Days Night.' The group were honored in a public ceremony in front of Liverpool Town Hall and as The Beatles stood on a balcony looking at the large crowd gathered below, John Lennon, gave a few Nazi "Sieg Heil" salutes. Not everyone appreciated his sense of humor.

1968 Eric Clapton announced that Cream would break-up after their current tour.

1971 Sweet hits #2 in the UK with "Co-Co."

2005 The four members of Led Zeppelin were voted the UK's ideal supergroup after 3,500 music fans were asked to create their fantasy band for Planet Rock Radio. Jimmy Page won best guitarist, followed by Guns N' Roses' Slash and Deep Purple's Ritchie Blackmore. John Paul Jones was named top bassist, with John Bonham, who died in 1980, winning best drummer and Robert Plant beat the late Freddie Mercury to best singer.

tequila girl
07-10-2010, 05:19 AM

1964 200,000 Liverpudlians took to the streets to celebrate The Beatles return to Liverpool for the northern premiere of the group's first film 'A Hard Days Night.' The group were honored in a public ceremony in front of Liverpool Town Hall and as The Beatles stood on a balcony looking at the large crowd gathered below, John Lennon, gave a few Nazi "Sieg Heil" salutes. Not everyone appreciated his sense of humor.
I was one of the 200,000 that saw them at the Town Hall - althought I was only 8yrs old I was a huge Beatles Fan at the time:laugh:

Koala
07-10-2010, 10:05 AM
How cool TG!8)

Koala
07-11-2010, 02:35 AM
1959 Richie Sambora (Bon Jovi) is born.

1970 'Self Portrait' gave Bob Dylan his fifth UK No.1 album.

1975 'Fleetwood Mac', the album that begins a new chapter with the addition of Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks, is released.

1981 Cliff Richard started a five-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Love Songs', his fifth No.1 album.

1992 A range of eight 'ties', designed by Jerry Garcia of The Grateful Dead went on sale in the US. President Bill Clinton bought a set. The collection grossed millions in the US by the end of the year.

Koala
07-12-2010, 02:19 AM
1943 Christine McVie, Fleetwood Mac, is born.

1962 The Rolling Stones made their live debut at the Marquee Jazz Club, London, with Dick Taylor on bass and Mick Avory on drums. The band were billed as The Rollin' Stones. They were paid £20 for the gig.

1969 One hit wonders Zager and Evans started a six week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'In The Year 2525, (Exordium And Terminus)', also No.1 in the UK.

2006 Even in Deaths, Johnny Cash is still mighty enough to top The Chart Toppers 200. American V: A Hundred Highways earns the Man in Black his first No. 1 album since 1969.

2008 Rolling Stone Ron Wood left his wife of 23 years and moved in with an 18-year-old Russian cocktail waitress. The 61 year-old dad-of-four had met the teenager while out drinking and had taken her away to his luxury pad in Ireland.

TimothyBFan
07-12-2010, 08:00 AM

1971 Sweet hits #2 in the UK with "Co-Co."

Now tell me you didn't know I was going to do this....

Not one of my faves but Brian sure looked good!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf9LS8l4vCE

2005 The four members of Led Zeppelin were voted the UK's ideal supergroup after 3,500 music fans were asked to create their fantasy band for Planet Rock Radio. Jimmy Page won best guitarist, followed by Guns N' Roses' Slash and Deep Purple's Ritchie Blackmore. John Paul Jones was named top bassist, with John Bonham, who died in 1980, winning best drummer and Robert Plant beat the late Freddie Mercury to best singer.

This would be a good thread right here. Would love to know where everyone would go with this. I totally agree with Mr. Page of course, the others not so much!

Prettymaid
07-12-2010, 09:15 AM
1975 'Fleetwood Mac', the album that begins a new chapter with the addition of Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks, is released.

This is where it all began for me. From the first split second Monday Morning starts to the last second of I'm So Afraid this album is genius. I quickly became a fan!

Koala
07-13-2010, 02:27 AM
1942 Roger McGuinn (the Byrds) is born.

1978 The BBC announced a ban on The Sex Pistols' latest single ‘No One Is Innocent’, which featured vocals by Ronnie Biggs, the British criminal notorious for his part in the Great Train Robbery of 1963. At the time of the recording, Biggs was living in Brazil, and was still wanted by the British authorities, but immune from extradition.

1985The Live Aid concerts are held in Philadelphia and London.

1985 Led Zeppelin re-forms (with Phil Collins replacing the late John Bonham on drums) for the Live Aid benefit concert in Philadelphia.

1986 Invisible Touch (Genesis) was a hit.

1991 Bryan Adams went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Everything I Do I Do It For You' which featured on the soundtrack for the film Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. It stayed at No.1 for a record-breaking 16 weeks, (breaking a record held since 1955), also a No.1 in the US (for 7 weeks) and a hit in 16 other countries. Won a Grammy Award for Best Song Written Specifically for a Motion Picture in 1992.

1994 Elton John and Billy Joel team up for a joint tour for the first time. The union of two piano-playing rock and roll superstars virtually guarantees sellouts

Koala
07-14-2010, 01:55 AM
1971 The Byrds, James Taylor, Steeleye Span, Sandy Denny, Tom Paxton and The Incredible String Band all appeared at the UK Lincoln Folk Festival, tickets £2.00.

1973 a drunk driver killed Clarence White of The Byrds while he was loading equipment after a gig in Palmdale, California.

1988 Michael Jackson gave himself a place in the Guinness Book of World Records for setting a new attendance record, when he played the first of seven nights at Wembley Stadium in London. The shows on his Bad World Tour were attended by a total of 504,000 fans beating the record previously held by Genesis, with four sold out nights.

Koala
07-15-2010, 01:22 AM
1946 Linda Ronstadt is Born.

1965 This weeks US Top three singles, No.3 The Byrds, 'Mr Tambourine Man', No.2 The Four Tops, 'I Can't Help Myself' and at No.1 The Rolling Stones with (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction.

1972 Elton John hits #6 with "Rocket Man," a song whose words and music make a timely play on the U.S. space program.

1981 Joe Walsh appeared at the SDSU Open Air Theatre, San Diego, California.

1999 The U.S. leg of the Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band reunion tour commences with the first of 15 sold-out shows at New Jersey's Continental Airlines Arena.

2000 Sad Cafe singer Paul Young died of a heart attack at his Manchester home aged 53. ‘Run Home Girl’ was a hit for Sad Cafe in the US, ‘Everyday Hurts’ was a UK No.3 hit in 1979. Joined Mike Rutherford and Paul Carrack in Mike and the Mechanics and had the hits ‘The Living Years’ and ‘Silent Running’.

Koala
07-16-2010, 01:13 AM
1966 Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker and Eric Clapton formed Cream, the three piece group only lasted 2 years, leaving behind some classic recordings including ‘Sunshine of Your Love,’ ‘Badge,’ ‘Strange Brew,’ and ‘White Room.’

1975 Neil Young's 'Tonight's the Night,' an inspired by and dedicated to a pair of musical acquaintances who died of drug overdoses, is released.

1982 Peter Gabriel inaugurates WOMAD Festival, spotlighting culture and music from around the world.

1994 The film soundtrack to 'The Lion King' started a nine-week run at No.1 on the US album chart.

1994 The three tenors - Carreras, Domingo, Pavarotti - perform at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles to an audience who pay $1,000 a seat.

1996 John Panozzo, drummer with Styx, died from cirrhosis of the liver, aged 48.

Koala
07-17-2010, 02:01 AM
1949 Mick Tucker (The Sweet) is Born.

1967 The Beatles single ‘All You Need Is Love’ / ‘Baby You’re A Rich Man’ (originally called ‘One Of The Beautiful People’) was released in the US. It became The Beatles 14th US No.1.

1987 The Ozzy Osbourne Band started a 16-week tour of US prisons.

2004 Half of the 4,500 people in the audience walked out of Linda Ronstadt's show at the Aladdin Resort and Casino in Las Vegas after the singer dedicated an encore of ‘Desperado’ to filmmaker Michael Moore and urged the crowd to see his film Fahrenheit 9/11.

Koala
07-18-2010, 02:15 AM
1953 Elvis Presley records a song ("My Happiness") supposedly for his mother's birthday (which actually was in April) at Sun Records in Memphis (he is noticed by the secretary there and it eventually leads to a contract).

1970 Pink Floyd, Roy Harper, Kevin Ayers, and the Edgar Broughton Band, all appeared at a free concert held in Hyde Park, London, England.

1973 Bruce Springsteen played the first of four nights at Max's Kansas City in New York City, New York, supported by Bob Marley and The Wailers who were on their first ever North American tour.

1980 Billy Joel held the top position of both the US albums and singles charts. His album Glass Houses contained his first and biggest number 1 hit, ’It’s Still Rock ’n’ Roll to Me.’

2001 Kiss, added another product to their ever-growing merchandising universe: the "Kiss Kasket." The coffin featured the faces of the four founding members of the band, the Kiss logo and the words "Kiss Forever." Pantera guitarist Dimebag Darrell was buried in one after he was shot and killed on-stage in Dec 2004.

Koala
07-19-2010, 01:29 AM
1947 Bernie Leadon is born.

:birthday:
1947 Brian May is born.

1954 Sun Records released the first Elvis Presley single 'That's All Right / Blue Moon Of Kentucky' which made the local Memphis chart.

1967 The Beatles were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'All You Need Is Love' the group's 12th UK No.1 single.

1972 Rolling Stones Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were arrested in Warwick, Rhode Island on charges of assault after a fight broke out with a newspaper photographer.

1975 Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band rehearsed for a full 19 hours at The Record Plant in New York City the day before their Born To Run Tour kicked off.

1980 Queen scored their third UK No.1 album with 'The Game', featuring the single 'Another One Bites The Dust'.

1976 Deep Purple split up for the first time.

1986 Genesis went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Invisible Touch'. The bands former lead singer Peter Gabriel was at No.2 with 'Sledgehammer'.

1987 Bruce Springsteen played his first ever show behind the Iron Curtain when he appeared in East Berlin in front of 180,000 people. The show was broadcast on East German TV.

Koala
07-20-2010, 02:23 AM
1940 Billboard's first comprehensive record chart was published. The magazine had previously published best-seller lists submitted by the individual record companies, but the new chart combined the top sellers from all major labels. Their first number one song was ‘I'll Never Smile Again’ by Frank Sinatra and the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra.

1947 Carlos Santana is born.

1968 Cream started a four-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Wheels On Fire'.

1986 To celebrate his 39th birthday, Carlos Santana plays a reunion concert with the original members of his band.

1996 Gary Barlow scored his first UK No.1 single with 'Forever Love' taken from his debut album Open Road. Barlow became the first member of Take That to top the charts with a solo record.

1999 The Rolling Stones reported a gross income of $337 million, (£168m), from almost two years of touring from their Bridges to Babylon and No Security tours. The Stones had played to over 5.6 million people, selling out all but 20 shows.

Koala
07-21-2010, 01:46 AM
1947 Cat Stevens (Yusuf Islam) is born

1969 The Beatles started work on the John Lennon song ‘Come Together’ at Abbey Road studios in London.

1977 Linda Ronstadt joins the Rolling Stones onstage at their Tucson, Arizona concert, singing "Tumblin' Dice" with them.

1987 Paul McCartney finishes recording Russian-language versions of rock 'n' roll songs for his Soviet Union-only release Choba B CCCP.

1990 Roger Waters 'The Wall' took place at the Berlin Wall in Potzdamer Platz, Berlin. Over 200.000 people attended and the event was broadcast live throughout the world, Van Morrison, Bryan Adams, Joni Mitchell, The Scorpions, Cyndi Lauper, Sinead O'Connor and others took part.

Koala
07-21-2010, 01:47 AM
1990 Roger Waters 'The Wall' took place at the Berlin Wall in Potzdamer Platz, Berlin. Over 200.000 people attended and the event was broadcast live throughout the world, Van Morrison, Bryan Adams, Joni Mitchell, The Scorpions, Cyndi Lauper, Sinead O'Connor and others took part.
I can remember this, I have seen it at that time on TV!

Koala
07-22-2010, 02:07 AM
1947 Don Henley is born! http://www.smilies.4-user.de/include/Geburtstag/smilie_geb_083.gif

1965 Mick Jagger, Brian Jones and Bill Wyman from The Rolling Stones were each fined £5 at East Ham Magistrates Court, London after being found guilty of insulting behaviour at a Romford Road service station. The three had all urinated against a wall.

1971 John and Yoko spent the second day filming the ‘Imagine’ promotional film at their home in Tittenhurst Park Ascot, England. Today's footage included the morning walk on the grounds though the mist and John Lennon singing ‘Imagine’ in the white room on his white piano.

1987 Michael Jackson releases his single "I Just Can't Stop Loving You." The song from Bad becomes the first of an astonishing five No. 1 singles from the album.

1995 The Ramones release their fourteenth and final studio album, 'Adios Amigos.

Koala
07-23-2010, 01:45 AM
1977 The Who drummer Keith Moon joined Led Zeppelin on stage during a gig at The Forum, Inglewood, Los Angles playing a duet with Zeppelin drummer John Bonham before taking to the microphone and attempting to sing.

1983 The Police went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Synchronicity'. The album spent a total of seventeen weeks at No.1.

1988 Richard Marx went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Hold On To The Nights', his first US No.1 single.

1989 Ringo Starr kicked off his first tour since the break-up of the Beatles with a show in Dallas. His backup band included guitarist Joe Walsh, organist Billy Preston and Bruce Springsteen's sax man Clarence Clemons.

2005 Queen’s 1985 Live Aid performance was voted the best rock concert ever by over 7,000 UK Sony Ericsson music fans. Radiohead were voted the best festival act for their 1997 Glastonbury performance and Bob Dylan’s 1966 Manchester Free Trade Hall gig won the best ever solo gig.

Koala
07-24-2010, 01:53 AM
1965 The Byrds were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with their version of the Bob Dylan song 'Mr Tambourine Man'. The first Bob Dylan song to reach No.1.

1967 The Beatles meet Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, whose lecture on Transcendental Meditation (TM) they had gone to hear at the Hilton Hotel in London. TM involved the silent repetition of a word or sound to produce a state of mind that reduces stress, calms the mind, and energizes both mind and body. The Maharishi invited The Beatles to travel with him to Bangor, in North Wales, to attend more lectures. They accepted his invitation.

1976 The Beach Boys '20 Golden Greats' album started a ten-week run at No.1 on the UK chart.

1976 Elton John scored his first UK number 1 single with ‘Don't Go Breaking My Heart’ a duet with Kiki Dee. It was written by Elton John without Bernie Taupin under the pseudonym "Ann Orson" and "Carte Blanche" and was Elton's first UK No.1 after 16 Top 40 hits. John had met Dee when she was working as a backing singer. John would later re-record the song with RuPaul for his 1993, Duets album.

1999 Phil Collins married for the third time. The 48-year-old drummer wed marketing consultant Orianne Cevey in Lausanne, Switzerland. Guests at the wedding included Elton John, Eric Clapton and Mark Knopfler.

2005 Singing squaddie James Blunt tops both the U.K. album and singles chart with his debut Back to Bedlam and “You’re Beautiful.”

Koala
07-25-2010, 03:23 AM
1960 Roy Orbison reached No.2 on the US singles chart with ‘Only the Lonely,’ his first hit. The song was turned down by The Everly Brothers and Elvis Presley, so Orbison decided to record the song himself.

1965 Bob Dylan played a full 'electric' set at The Newport Folk Festival in Newport, Rhode Island and was booed off stage.

1966 The Beatles begin recording "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (with Eric Clapton on guitar).

1969 Neil Young appeared with Crosby, Stills and Nash for the first time when played at The Fillmore East in New York. Young was initially asked to help out with live material only, but ended up joining the group on and off for the next 30 years.

1969 Led Zeppelin play Milwaukee at the Midwest Rock Festival. Former Yardbird Eric Clapton, who is playing with Blind Faith the next day, catches the set by fellow former Yardbird Jimmy Page's new band. "They were very loud," he later remembers. "I thought it was unnecessarily loud. I liked some of it; I really did like some of it. But a lot of it was just too much. They overemphasized whatever point they were making, I thought."

2003 A student film of John Lennon imitating a baboon sells for $53,700 at an auction.

2004 Jimmy Buffett went to No.1 on the US album chart with ‘License To Chill’, the singer songwriters first No.1 album.

Freypower
07-25-2010, 07:30 PM
1965 The Byrds were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with their version of the Bob Dylan song 'Mr Tambourine Man'. The first Bob Dylan song to reach No.1.

1967 The Beatles meet Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, whose lecture on Transcendental Meditation (TM) they had gone to hear at the Hilton Hotel in London. TM involved the silent repetition of a word or sound to produce a state of mind that reduces stress, calms the mind, and energizes both mind and body. The Maharishi invited The Beatles to travel with him to Bangor, in North Wales, to attend more lectures. They accepted his invitation.

1976 The Beach Boys '20 Golden Greats' album started a ten-week run at No.1 on the UK chart.

1976 Elton John scored his first UK number 1 single with ‘Don't Go Breaking My Heart’ a duet with Kiki Dee. It was written by Elton John without Bernie Taupin under the pseudonym "Ann Orson" and "Carte Blanche" and was Elton's first UK No.1 after 16 Top 40 hits. John had met Dee when she was working as a backing singer. John would later re-record the song with RuPaul for his 1993, Duets album.

1999 Phil Collins married for the third time. The 48-year-old drummer wed marketing consultant Orianne Cevey in Lausanne, Switzerland. Guests at the wedding included Elton John, Eric Clapton and Mark Knopfler.

2005 Singing squaddie James Blunt tops both the U.K. album and singles chart with his debut Back to Bedlam and “You’re Beautiful.”

Now THAT's a guest list. What a shame that this marriage also failed, I believe.

Koala
07-26-2010, 01:44 AM
1943 Mick Jagger is born.

1949 Roger Taylor is born.

1963 Scott Crago is Born.

1970 Jimi Hendrix played in his home town of Seattle for the last time when he appeared at Sicks Stadium.

1977 Led Zeppelin cut short their 11th North American tour after Robert Plant's five-year-old-son Karac died unexpectedly of a virus at their home in England, UK.

1990 Grateful Dead keyboardist Brent Mydland dies of a drug overdose in Lafayette, Calif., at age 38. Mydland had replaced keyboardist Keith Godchaux – who died in 1979 – who in turn had replaced Ron “Pigpen” McKernan – who died in 1973.

2006 the guitar on which Sir Paul McCartney learned his first chords sold for £330,000 at an auction at London's Abbey Road Studios. The Rex acoustic guitar helped McCartney persuade John Lennon to let him join his band, The Quarrymen, in 1957.

Koala
07-27-2010, 01:19 AM
1968 Bee Gee Robin Gibb is hospitalized for nervous exhaustion on the eve of their first full American tour.

1974 Elton John hits #2 with "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me," from his 'Caribou' album. The song features Beach Boys Carl Wilson and Bruce Johnston on backing vocals.

1976 after a four-year legal fight, John Lennon was awarded his Green card, allowing him permanent residence in the US.

1976 Tina Turner filed for divorce from her husband Ike, ending their violent 16-year marriage and successful musical partnership.

1986 Queen became the first western act since Louis Armstrong in 1964 to perform in Easton Europe when they played at Budapest's Nepstadion, Hungary, the gig was filmed and released as 'Queen Magic in Budapest'.

1992 Michael Jackson sued the British paper The Daily Mirror over photos and an article that said he was left a "scar face" from numerous plastic surgeries. The suit was later settled out of court.

2002 The Who’s John Entwistle is found dead in his hotel room in Las Vegas. He has cocaine in his system, and the Deaths is ruled accidental. He is 57.

Prettymaid
07-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Koala, you do a very good job keeping up with this thread and I wanted you to know that I appreciate it! Even though I rarely comment, I read every one of them! :applause:

sodascouts
07-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Same here!

Brooke
07-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Me, too! Thanks K! :thumbsup:

07-27-2010, 09:35 PM
I'll add my thanks here too, Koala. I love this thread. I just wish I had time to reply to everything I'd like to on the board each day. Unfortunately, I'm sure like many of you, I just have to 'pick and choose' what I respond to.

Koala
07-28-2010, 02:01 AM
Awww, thanks guys!

1945 Rick Wright (Pink Floyd) is born.

1954 The first press interview with 19-year-old Elvis Presley was published in the 'Memphis Press- Scimitar'.

1969 police in Moscow reported that thousands of public phone booths had been vandalised after thieves were stealing parts of the phones to convert their acoustic guitars to electric. A feature in a Russian youth magazine had shown details on how to do this.

1973 The Watkins Glen outdoor summer jam was held outside of Watkins Glen, New York with The Allman Brothers, The Grateful Dead and The Band. Over 600,000 rock fans attended. Many historians claimed the event was the largest gathering of people in the history of the United States. 150,000 tickets were sold for $10 each, but for all the other people it was a free concert. The crowd was so huge that a large part of the audience was not able to see the stage.

1990 Elton John started a five-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Sleeping With The Past', his fifth No.1 album.

2000 Five and Queen were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'We Will Rock You', the classic Queen song was only a B-side in 1977 and this new version featured boy band Five and Queen guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylor.

TimothyBFan
07-28-2010, 07:27 AM
Love this thread and the great job you do with it Koala!!:thumbsup:

Koala
07-29-2010, 01:55 AM
Thanks TBF!

1963 Elvis Presley was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with '(You're The) Devil In Disguise'. His 14th UK No.1.

1966 Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker made their live debut as Cream at The Twisted Wheel, Manchester, England.

1966 Bob Dylan suffered a broken neck vertebra when he crashed his Triumph 55 motorbike near his home in Woodstock, New York.

1967 The Doors started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Light My Fire'. The group's first US No.1, it only reached No.49 on the UK chart. Re- issued in 1991 when it made No.7 in the UK.

1968 the first recording session of The Beatles seven-minute epic 'Hey Jude' took place at Abbey Road studios London. The Paul McCartney song was written about John Lennon's son Julian.

1972 ELO hits #9 in the UK with the debut single "10538 Over".

1973 Led Zeppelin lost $180,000 in cash when a thief made off with their hotel safe deposit box from two Madison Square Garden concerts in New York City.

1987 Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream introduces their "Cherry Garcia" flavor (named after the Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia),

2005 John Lennon’s handwritten lyrics for “All You Need is Love”, gathered from his music stand after The Beatles’ final television appearance in 1967, sold at an auction in London for $1 million to an anonymous bidder.

Koala
07-30-2010, 01:38 AM

1966 The Beatles started a five week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Yesterday...And Today', the group's 8th No.1 album.

1968 The Beatles closed their Apple Boutique in London after seven months of business, giving away all the stock to passers by and Apple staff.

1977 The Bee Gees younger brother Andy Gibb started a four-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I Just Wanna Be Your Everything', his first of three US No.1's, it peaked at No.26 in the UK.

1978 Fleetwood Mac and Steve Miller Band appeared at the JFK Stadium, Philadelphia.

2006 Top of the Pops airs for the last time on BBC, after 42 years of broadcasting performances by the likes of The Rolling Stones, Madonna, David Bowie, Robbie Williams and Shakira.

2007 a man admitted bootlegging charges after hearing evidence from Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page. Robert Langley, 57, from Buckingham, originally denied three trademark and two copyright infringements after being caught at a record fair in Glasgow. The seizure of CDs and DVDs two years ago included £11,500 of counterfeit Led Zeppelin material.

TimothyBFan
07-30-2010, 09:24 AM
1949 Andy Scott (Sweet) is born.

I hate to correct you but actually Andy's birthday is June 30th not July 30th. Sorry!

Koala
07-31-2010, 02:03 AM
I hate to correct you but actually Andy's birthday is June 30th not July 30th. Sorry!
Upps, no problem, then I'll correct this, thank you for pointing!

Koala
07-31-2010, 02:41 AM
1969 Elvis Presley kicked off a four week run at the Las Vegas International Hotel, ( his first live show since March 25, 1961). He reportedly netted $1.5m for the shows. On the menu an Elvis special, polk salad with corn muffins & honey.

1971 a security guard was stabbed to death duri
ng a concert by The Who at New York's Forest Hill Stadium.

1992 Michael Jackson made an unscheduled appearance on his hotel balcony in London after a man had threatened to jump from an apartment building across the street. 28 year-old Eric Herminie told police he would leap to his death if he didn't see Jackson, who was in Britain for a series of concerts. Jackson spent a couple of minutes waving to Herminie, who then climbed back into the building.

Koala
08-01-2010, 02:31 AM
1942 Jerry Garcia ( Grateful Dead) is born.

1965 The Beach Boys' "California Girls," a last gasp of the L.A. surf-pop sound, reaches Number Three.

1970 Eric Clapton is released, peaking at #13. This same month, Clapton begins recording in Miami with his new band, Derek and the Dominos. They record the monumental double album Layla...and Other Assorted Love Songs in ten days. One writer called it "the most valid double since Blonde on Blonde."

[B]1971 The concert for Bangladesh, featuring George Harrison, Bob Dylan and Eric Clapton, takes place in New York's Madison Square Garden.

1981 MTV launches in the United States at 12:01am. The first broadcasted video is "Video Killed the Radio Star" by the Buggles. Nina Blackwood, Mark Goodman, Alan Hunter, J.J. Jackson and Martha Quinn become MTV's first VJs.

1987 Bob Seger scored his first US No.1 single with 'Shakedown', taken from the film 'Beverly Hills Cop II'.

Prettymaid
08-01-2010, 04:05 PM
1981 MTV launches in the United States at 12:01am. The first broadcasted video is "Video Killed the Radio Star" by the Buggles. Nina Blackwood, Mark Goodman, Alan Hunter, J.J. Jackson and Martha Quinn become MTV's first VJs.

Oh my, my, my. I remember it like it was yesterday!

08-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Me too, PM. MTV definitely defined the way we listened to music in the 80's.

Koala
08-02-2010, 01:46 AM
1951 Joe Lynn Turner (Deep Purple) is born.

1975 The Eagles went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'One Of These Nights', the group's second US No.1 single and the first to chart in the UK where it peaked at No.23.

1986 Chris de Burgh was at No.1 in the UK with 'The Lady In Red', it was his first No.1 after twenty-four single releases, staying at the top of the charts for three weeks.

1987 I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (U2) was a hit.

1998 Mojo Magazine published the results from a nation-wide survey asking 'Who is your favourite recording artist of all time: 5th place was Elton John 4th, Queen, 3rd, Frank Sinatra, 2nd, Elvis Presley and in 1st place, The Beatles.

2004 Eric Clapton bought a 50% share in Cordings to save the historic gentleman's outfitters from closure. The store, based in London since 1839 had run into financial difficulties. The guitarist said he had been fond of the shop since a window display caught his eye when he was 16, and had become a regular shopper their. Cordings was the originator of the Covert coat and the Tattersall shirt and made riding boots for the Queen Mother, the Duke of Windsor and Mrs Simpson.

Prettymaid
08-02-2010, 09:14 AM
1975 The Eagles went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'One Of These Nights', the group's second US No.1 single and the first to chart in the UK where it peaked at No.23.

:yay: :yay: :yay:

Koala
08-03-2010, 01:30 AM
1963 The Beatles played their last ever performance at the Cavern Club in Liverpool. The Beatles, whose fee for their first performance at the Cavern had been £5, received a fee of £300 for this performance.

1971 Paul McCartney announced the formation of his new group Wings with his wife Linda and former Moody Blues guitarist and singer Denny Laine.

1985 'Drive' by The Cars was re-released following it's dramatic use on TV during the Live Aid concert. All the royalties from the record went to the Band Aid trust.

1985 Madonna scored her first UK No.1 single with 'Into The Groove'. The track was taken from the movie 'Desperately Seeking Susan' which featured Madonna and Rosanna Arquette. 'Into The Groove' is Madonna's best selling single in the UK, having sold over 850,000 copies.

1996 'The Phenomenon' soundtrack, featuring Peter Gabriel's "I Have the Touch," hits #12 in the US.

2007 Queen guitarist Brian May handed in his astronomy PhD thesis - 36 years after abandoning it to join the band. May had recently carried out observational work in Tenerife, where he studied the formation of "zodiacal dust clouds".
2008 Kid Rock was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'All Summer Long'. The song is based on Warren Zevon's 'Werewolves of London' and Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Sweet Home Alabama'.

TimothyBFan
08-03-2010, 08:00 AM
1985 'Drive' by The Cars was re-released following it's dramatic use on TV during the Live Aid concert. All the royalties from the record went to the Band Aid trust.

Anything to promote Benjamin's beautiful voice!! Here's the Live Aid version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3M5adghKEQ

Troubadour
08-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Beautiful. I love that song. Always gives me a lump in my throat. :heart:

Koala
08-04-2010, 01:59 AM
1901 Louis Armstrong is Born.

1958 Billboard introduced 'The Hot 100 Singles Chart', Ricky Nelson was at No.1 with 'Poor Little Fool'.

1963 UK music weekly The NME reported that The Beatles could score their first US hit with 'From Me To You' as the single was 'bubbling under' on the charts at No.116.

1984 Genesis drummer/singer and solo artist Phil Collins marries Jill Tavelman. At the reception, Collins "jams" with Eric Clapton and Robert Plant.

1990 during a New Kids On The Block concert in Montreal. Canada, three armed robbers stole souvenir sales proceeds valued at $260.000.

2002 Bruce Springsteen scored his fifth UK No.1 album with ‘The Rising’, also No.1 in the US.

Koala
08-05-2010, 02:54 AM
1956 Doris Day was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Whatever Will Be Will Be', the singer actress' second UK No.1 single. The Oscar-winning song was featured in Alfred Hitchcock's 1956 film, The Man Who Knew Too Much, with Doris Day and James Stewart in the lead roles.

1965 The Beatles were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Help!' The group's eighth consecutive UK No.1 single.

1967 Pink Floyd released their debut album The Piper At the Gates of Dawn on which most songs were penned by Syd Barrett.

2005 Bob Dylan's song 'Like a Rolling Stone' topped a poll of rock and film stars to find the music, movies, TV shows and books that changed the world. The 1965 single beat Elvis Presley's ‘Heartbreak Hotel’ into second place in a survey for Uncut magazine. Sir Paul McCartney, Noel Gallagher, Robert Downey Jr, Rolling Stone Keith Richards and Lou Reed were among those who gave their opinions.

Prettymaid
08-05-2010, 10:50 AM
1956 Doris Day was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Whatever Will Be Will Be', the singer actress' second UK No.1 single. The Oscar-winning song was featured in Alfred Hitchcock's 1956 film, The Man Who Knew Too Much, with Doris Day and James Stewart in the lead roles.

Ah yes, who can forget that rocker. :headbang:

:singer: QUE SERA, SERA!!! :hilarious:

GlennLover
08-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Koala, I want you to know that I read all the posts here too & I appreciate the effort it takes to make these posts! I got behind on reading this thread so I'm catching up today. Thaks so much!

Koala
08-06-2010, 02:36 AM
Thanks GL!:)

1970 Steppenwolf, Janis Joplin, Paul Simon, Poco and Johnny Winter all appeared at the Concert For Peace at New York's Shea Stadium. The concert date coincided with the 25th anniversary of dropping an atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan.

1983 Spandau Ballet hits #4 in the US with "True".

1986 'Graceland,' the signature album of Paul Simon's career, is released. Much of it was recorded in South Africa with native musicians.

1988 After a 57 week climb, Guns N' Roses 'Appetite For Destruction' reaches #1.

2009 Steven Tyler was airlifted to hospital after falling off stage during a gig at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in South Dakota. The 61-year-old Aerosmith singer fell from a catwalk onto a couple of fans, he suffered neck and shoulder injuries. About 30 minutes after the accident, guitarist Joe Perry came out to tell the crowd that the remainder of the show had been cancelled.

Koala
08-11-2010, 12:43 PM
1966 At a press conference held at The Astor Towers Hotel in Chicago, John Lennon apologised for his remarks that The Beatles were “more popular than Jesus". Lennon told reporters “Look, I wasn’t saying The Beatles are better than God or Jesus, I said ‘Beatles’ because it’s easy for me to talk about The Beatles. I could have said ‘TV’ or ‘Cinema’, ‘Motorcars’ or anything popular and would have got away with it…”

1976 The Who’s drummer, Keith Moon, is admitted into a Miami hospital after collapsing.

1979 Led Zeppelin played their last ever UK show when they appeared at Knebworth Park, England. Also on the bill, The New Barbarians, Todd Rundgren, Southside Johnny and the Ashbury Dukes, Chas and Dave and Fairport Convention.

1979 Kiss hits #11 with "I Was Made For Lovin' You“.

1999 Kiss arrived on Hollywood Boulevard to unveil their star on The Walk Of Fame. The band had released over 30 albums and sold over 80 million records world-wide.

2002 Bruce Springsteen started a two week run at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘The Rising’, the singers fifth US No.1. Also No.1 in the UK.

Koala
08-12-2010, 02:11 AM
1949 Mark Knopfler is Born.

1964 The Beatles first film ‘A Hard Days Night’ opened in 500 American cinemas to rave reviews.

1966 The Beatles begin their final U.S. tour, at Chicago's International Ampitheatre.

1968 Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and John Bonham played together for the first time when they rehearsed at a studio in Lisle Street in London’s West End. The first song they played was a version of ‘Train Kept A-Rollin.’

1972 Alice Cooper was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'School's Out'. The singers only UK No.1, a No.7 hit on the US chart.

1973 The Eagles, Joni Mitchell and Neil Young and the Santa Monica Flyers all appeared at the Corral Club in Topanga, California.

1984 as The Olympic Games came to a close, Lionel Richie performed, 'All Night Long' live from Los Angeles to an estimated television audience of 2.6 billion people around the world.

1995 In Belvedere, Calif., the funeral of Jerry Garcia is held at an Episcopal church.

2009 Les Paul dies.

Koala
08-13-2010, 02:33 AM
1951 Dan Fogelberg is born.

1967 Fleetwood Mac made their live debut when they appeared at the National Jazz and Blues Festival in Windsor. Also on the bill Jeff Beck, Cream, Small Faces, The Move, The Pink Floyd, Donovan and Chicken Shack.

1971 John Lennon flew from Heathrow Airport to New York, he never set foot on British soil again.

1971 Pink Floyd played their first ever Australian date when they appeared at the Festival Hall in Melbourne.

1975 The selling of Bruce Springsteen is in full swing in the run-up to Born to Run‘s release. He begins a five-night stand at New York’s Bottom Line club that soon passes into legend. Most of those attending are influential industry people, who spread the word about the emerging artist.

1994 Crosby, Stills & Nash return to the scene of an early triumph, performing at the Woodstock '94 festival. This year is the 25th anniversary of both Crosby, Stills and Nash's formation and the original Woodstock festival.

2004 'Angels' by Robbie Williams was voted the best single which should have been a number one but never was, in a poll for music channel VH1. The ballad, which reached No.4 in December 1997, beat Savage Garden's ‘Truly, Madly, Deeply’ and Aerosmith's 'I Don't Want To Miss A Thing.' Other songs said to have deserved a number one included Madonna with ‘Ray of Light’, ‘Beautiful Stranger’, ‘Crazy For You’ and ‘Material Girl’, Bon Jovi with ‘Always’ and Oasis with ‘Wonderwall’ and ‘Live Forever’. Sir Cliff Richard's hit 'Millennium Prayer' was voted the worst number one single of all time.

Brooke
08-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Awww, Happy Birthday to Dan, one of the best singer/songwriters ever. Your music lives on.

We miss ya! :-(

Koala
08-14-2010, 02:36 AM
1941 David Crosby is born.

1965 Sonny & Cher started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I Got You Babe'.

1985 Michael Jackson outbid Yoko Ono and Paul McCartney to secure the ATV Music Publishing catalogue. At $47.5m he gained the rights to more than 250 songs written by Lennon and McCartney.

1993 Freddie Mercury had his first solo UK No.1 single with 'Living On My Own'. The song had been a minor hit in 1985 when released from his solo album Mr. Bad Guy, this remixed version was reissued.

TimothyBFan
08-14-2010, 06:33 PM
1985 Michael Jackson outbid Yoko Ono and Paul McCartney to secure the ATV Music Publishing catalogue. At $47.5m he gained the rights to more than 250 songs written by Lennon and McCartney.

This just saddened me when I read it. Just doesn't seem right I think. Wonder what's going on with those now.

Koala
08-15-2010, 01:48 AM
1955 Elvis Presley signs a management contract with "Colonel" Tom Parker, whose other clients included country-music stars Eddy Arnold and Hank Snow. The relationship with Parker will continue till Presley's death.

1965 The Beatles set a new world record for the largest attendance at a pop concert when they played in front of 55,600 fans at Shea Stadium in New York City. Sharing the bill with The Beatles; Brenda Holloway, The King Curtis Band, The Young Rascals and Sounds Incorporated. The Beatles were paid $160,000 for the show, the set list: ‘Twist and Shout’, ‘She's a Woman’, ‘I Feel Fine’, ‘Dizzy Miss Lizzie’, ‘Ticket to Ride’, ‘Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby’, ‘Can't Buy Me Love’, ‘Baby's In Black’, ‘Act Naturally’, ‘I Wanna Be Your Man’, ‘A Hard Day's Night’, ‘Help!’, and ‘I'm Down’. Two of the Rolling Stones were among the audience, Mick Jagger and Keith Richard and later that evening; Bob Dylan visited The Beatles at their hotel.

1969 the Woodstock Festival was held on Max Yasgur's 600 acre farm in Bethel outside New York. Attended by over 400,000 people, the free event featured, Jimi Hendrix, Joe Cocker, Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Santana, The Who, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, The Band, Canned Heat, Joan Baez, Santana, Melanie, Ten Years After, Sly and the Family Stone, Johnny Winter, Jefferson Airplane, Ravi Shanker, Country Joe and the Fish, Blood Sweat and Tears, Arlo Guthrie, and Joe Cocker. During the three days there were three deaths, two births and four miscarriages. Joni Mitchell was booked to appear but had to pull out due to being booked for a TV show, wrote the song 'Woodstock.'

1987 Michael Jackson had his third UK No.1 with the single ' I Just Can't Stop Loving You', a duet with Siedah Garrett. It was originally intended to be a duet between Jackson and either Barbra Streisand or Whitney Houston. Session singer Siedah Garrett also worked with Madonna.

1991 Paul Simon played a free concert in New York's Central Park before an audience of three quarters of a million people.

Koala
08-16-2010, 02:11 AM
1968 The Jackson Five made their formal debut with Diana Ross and The Supremes at the Great Western Forum, California.

1975 Singer Peter Gabriel announces he is leaving Genesis.

1977 An unconscious Elvis Presley is rushed to Baptist Memorial Hospital around 3 p.m. Despite efforts to revive him, Presley is subsequently pronounced dead. At a press conference that evening, medical examiner Dr. Jerry Francisco indicates that the cause of death appeared to be "cardiac arrhythmia," noting that, "There was severe cardiovascular disease present."

1980 Genesis hits #14 "Misunderstanding".

1997 on the 20th anniversary of Elvis Presley's death over 30,000 fans descended on Memphis Tennessee for a 10-minute mourning circuit circling his grave. A poll found that almost a third of the fans were keeping an eye out for him in the crowd.

1998 Pete Townshend performs to a SRO crowd at the Chicago House of Blues in a benefit concert that raised about $300,000 in proceeds for Maryville Academy, a residential child-care facility for abused or neglected children.

Koala
08-17-2010, 02:16 AM
1960 The Beatles begin their first Hamburg engagement at the Indra Club, Grosse Freiheit, Hamburg, West Germany, playing the first of 48 nights at the Club. The owner, Bruno Koschmider, asked The Beatles to "Mach Shau", or really put on a show, which led to the band screaming, shouting, and leaping about the stage and sometimes playing lying on the floor. John Lennon once appeared wearing only his underwear and on another occasion, wearing a toilet seat around his neck. The Beatles lodged in a single room behind the screen of a nearby movie house.

1969 the final day of the three day Woodstock festival took place at Max Yasgur's farm in Bethel, New York. Acts who appeared included Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Ten Years After, John Sebastian, Sha Na Na, Joe Cocker, Country Joe and the Fish, The Band, Ten Years After, Johnny Winter and Paul Butterfield Blues Band. Over 186,000 tickets had been sold but on the first day the flimsy fences and ticket barriers had come down. Organisers announced the concert would be a free event, prompting thousands more to head for the concert. There were two deaths - a teenager was killed by a tractor as he lay in his sleeping bag and another died from a drugs overdose.

1974 Fleetwood Mac successfully get an injunction against another band touring with the same name.

1988 Sweet announced they were reforming after a £1 & half million offer from MCA Records.

1995 Depeche Mode singer Dave Gahan was rushed to Cedars-Sinai Medical Centre after an apparent suicide attempt. Police had found him at his Los Angeles home with a two-inch laceration on his wrist.

1999 Led Zeppelin topped a chart of Britain's most bootlegged musicians, compiled by the British Phonographic Industry (BPI), after identifying 384 bootleg titles featuring Led Zeppelin performances. The bootleg chart was complied from the BPI's archive of some 10,000 recordings seized over the past 25 years. The Beatles, came in second with 320 entries, other acts listed included The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan and Pink Floyd.

TimothyBFan
08-17-2010, 07:46 AM
1988[/B] Sweet announced they were reforming after a £1 & half million offer from MCA Records.

Unforunately nothing came of this really. Brian was in such poor health at this point from the alcoholism that it never took off. I've seen the "reunion" interview one time and it broke my heart. Brian's voice was so sad and he was shaking so bad...he looked as if he had aged 20 years.

Koala
08-18-2010, 02:15 AM
TBF, thanks for this info!

1962 Ringo Starr made his debut with The Beatles at the horticultural society Dance, Birkenhead, England, having had a two-hour rehearsal in preparation. This was the first appearance of The Beatles as the world would come to know them: John, Paul, George, and Ringo.

1969 Mick Jagger was accidentally shot in the hand during filming of 'Ned Kelly' in Australia.

1977 The Police made their live debut as a three-piece band when they played at Rebecca's Birmingham, England.

1982 the City of Liverpool named four Streets after the fab four: John Lennon Drive, Paul McCartney Way, George Harrison Close and Ringo Starr Drive.

1984 George Michael was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with his first solo single 'Careless Whisper.' It made George the first person to reach No.1 as a solo artist and a member of a band in the same year. It gave Epic records UK their first UK million seller and the song was No.1 in nearly 25 countries, selling over six million copies worldwide.

Koala
08-19-2010, 01:46 AM
1967 The Beatles scored their 14th US No.1 single with 'All You Need Is Love'. Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Keith Moon, Graham Nash, Marianne Faithfull and Walker Brother Gary Leeds all sang backing vocals on the track.

1967 Pink Floyd debut on UK LP chart with ‘Piper at the Gates of Dawn’

1971 Led Zeppelin kicked off a North American tour at the Pacific Coliseum in Vancouver, Canada. The band played to a sold out crowd of over 17,000 fans, another 3,000 fans outside the venue who didn't have tickets started a battle with local police.

1989 The Bee Gees' 25th charting album, 'One', is released. The title track reaches #7 and the band tours for the first time in nearly a decade.

1997 Fleetwood Mac’s reunion album “The Dance” is released.

sodascouts
08-19-2010, 03:57 AM
1997 Fleetwood Mac’s reunion album “The Dance” is released.

:thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud2XKt2N8fs

The way Stevie sings to Lindsey, especially at the end starting about 4:10.... INTENSE!

Prettymaid
08-19-2010, 07:23 AM
I absolutely love The Dance! It's a great DVD too!

Koala
08-20-2010, 01:31 AM
1948 Robert Plant was born.

1973 Bruce Springsteen played the first of a seven night run at Oliver’s in Boston, Massachusetts playing two 60-minute sets each night.

1973 The Rolling Stones release their single “Angie.” The ballad becomes one of their biggest singles, going to No. 1.

1986 Rick Allen drummer with Def Leppard made his first live appearance with the band after losing an arm in a car accident, when they appeared at the Monsters Of Rock Festival, Castle Donington, England.

1990 Aerosmith appeared at the Marquee Club London. Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page joined the band on stage for a blues jam.

1996 Carlos Santana gets a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame

Koala
08-21-2010, 04:55 AM
1938 Kenny Rogers is born.

1965 The Rolling Stones started a three week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Out Of Our Heads' the group's first US No.1 album.

1966 On their last ever US tour The Beatles performed in two cities due to a cancellation due to rain the previous day. First they performed at Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio. Then they flew to St. Louis, Missouri, for a concert at Busch Stadium, where they performed under a tarpaulin due to heavy rain. It was this gig that convinced Paul McCartney that The Beatles should stop performing live.

1983 Ramones guitarist Johnny Ramone had a four-hour brain surgery operation, after being found unconscious in a New York Street where he had been involved in a fight.

1994 Bob Dylan plays his 600th concert on the so-called Neverending Tour in Columbus, Ohio.

Koala
08-22-2010, 02:54 AM
1956 Elvis Presley began working on his first movie, Love Me Tender. In the drama that was set during and just after the Civil War, Elvis played Clint Reno, the youngest of four brothers. The original title for the movie was The Reno Brothers, but was changed to take advantage of the ‘Love Me Tender’ song recorded for the film.

1964 During a North American tour The Beatles appeared at the Empire Stadium, Vancouver, to over 20,000 fans. The Beatles set at the time was just 29 minutes long. tickets cost £5.25.

1969 The Beatles got together at John Lennon’s Tittenhurst Park home in England for their final ever photo session.
1970 America experiences Creedence Clearwater Revival mania as the album Cosmo’s Factory hits No. 1 for the first of a nine-week run

1992 –Genesis hits #1 with the album We Can’t Dance in the UK!

2001 Travis Tritt receives the Veterans of Foreign Wars’ (VFW) 2001 Hall of Fame Award. The honor is given to individuals for distinguished service to the nation.

2003 Kjell Henning Bjoernestad a Norwegian Elvis Presley impersonator set a world record by singing the rock 'n' roll legend's hits non-stop for over 26 hours. The previous record was set by British Elvis fan Gary Jay who sang for 25 hours 33 minutes and 30 seconds.

Koala
08-23-2010, 02:18 AM
1947 Keith Moon (the Who)was born.

1963 The Rolling Stones appeared on UK TV show Ready, Steady, Go! for the first time, performing their debut single ‘Come On.’ The group made a total of 20 appearances on the show between 1963 and 1966.

1969 The Rolling Stones started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Honky Tonk Women' the group's fifth US No.1. Also No.1 in the UK.

1987 Kylie Minogue, Australian soap star turned pop star, hits #1 in Australia with “The Loco-motion”.

1987 There was more than musical excitement at a Grateful Dead concert in 1987. Police killed an escaped drug addict who had shot one of the officers. The event was celebrating the 20th anniversary of the Summer of Love. The band’s In the Dark album had just peaked at number 6 in the U.S. while it’s single, “Touch of Grey,” was a month away from cracking the top 10.

2004 Queen, became the first UK rock band to receive official approval in Iran, where Western music was strictly prohibited. Lead singer, Freddie Mercury, who died of AIDS in 1991, was of Iranian ancestry and bootlegged albums had been available for years.

Koala
08-24-2010, 01:38 AM
1967 17-year old singer and guitarist Bruce Springsteen joined a group called Earth.

1979 Celebrating 30 years in show business, B.B. King played at the Roxy Club, Sunset Strip, Los Angeles.

1981 John Lennon’s killer (Mark Chapman) got sentenced to 20 years in prison on August 24th, 1981. Fortunately, he’s still in there.

1989 The Who perform "Tommy" at the Universal Amphitheatre with special guests Steve Winwood, Elton John, Phil Collins, Patti LaBelle and Billy Idol.

1990 A Nevada judge clears heavy metal group Judas Priest in a $6.2 million civil suit that charged subliminal suggestions on the group’s recordings provoked two youths to shoot themselves in 1985.

1991 Metallica scored their first UK No.1 album with their self- titled LP.

Koala
08-25-2010, 01:36 AM
1949 Gene Simmons (Kiss) is born.

1955 Elvis Costello is Born.

1965 Two female Beatles fans hired a helicopter to fly over the house The Beatles were renting in Beverly Hills, California and jumped from the helicopter into the swimming pool.

1970 Elton John made his US live debut when he kicked off a 17-date tour at the Troubadour in Los Angeles. In the audience that night were Don Henley, Quincy Jones and Leon Russell. Elton’s latest single ‘Border Song’ had just debuted at number 92 on the US chart.

1970 Emerson, Lake & Palmer give their debut performance in Plymouth, England.

1973 The Allman Brothers Band release their "Ramblin' Man" single. It becomes their biggest hit, going all the way to No. 2.

1992 "MTV Unplugged" with Eric Clapton is released on compact disc, laser disc, cassette and home video by Reprise Records/Warner Reprise Video. In three weeks, the album goes platinum and the home video goes gold.

1994 Jimmy Page and Robert plant recorded their MTV unplugged set at London's television centre.

2001 R&B singer and actress Aaliyah dies when a small plane that was to carry her and eight others back to the United States crashes after takeoff in Marsh Harbour, Bahamas.

Prettymaid
08-25-2010, 07:30 AM
1965 Two female Beatles fans hired a helicopter to fly over the house The Beatles were renting in Beverly Hills, California and jumped from the helicopter into the swimming pool.

Since I was a minor they let me off easy... :wink:

sodascouts
08-25-2010, 09:13 AM
lol!!!!

TimothyBFan
08-25-2010, 09:17 AM
:hilarious:PM. Boy that is fandom to the extreme!!

Koala
08-26-2010, 08:54 AM
1965 Sonny & Cher were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'I Got You Babe', the duo's only UK No.1.

1967 Mick Jagger and Marianne Faithfull joined up with The Beatles in Bangor North Wales to seek guidance from Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.
1989 Ringo Starr wins a court case against a producer who wants to release several tracks Starr believes are below par because of the messy state he was in when he recorded them.

1993 A double sided acetate of The Beatles performing live at The Cavern in Liverpool sold for £16,500 at Christies, London, a world record price for a recording.

2003 Rolling Stone Magazine named Jimi Hendrix as the greatest guitarist in Rock history. Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Keith Richards, Chuck Berry, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Ry Cooder also made the top 10 list.

2008 Pink Floyd receive the swedish Polar Music Price.

Koala
08-27-2010, 01:34 AM
1965 On the last day of a five-day break from their North American tour, The Beatles, attended a recording session for The Byrds. Later that afternoon, The Beatles met Elvis Presley at his mansion in Beverly Hills. It was an awkward meeting, leaving The Beatles with the impression that Presley's personality was decidedly "unmagnetic". John Lennon remarked soon after, “Where’s Elvis? It was like meeting Engelbert Humperdinck.”

1990 Grammy-winning blues guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughan died.

1991 Seattle’s Pearl Jam – formerly known as Mookie Blakelock – release their blockbuster debut Ten. With its hits “Alive,” “Even Flow,” “Jeremy” and “Black,” the album sails to No. 2 in the Billboard 200 and alters the grunge template forever.

1992 John Lennon's handwritten lyrics to The Beatles song ‘A Day In The Life’ sold at an auction for $87,000, (£47,220).

1995 Neil Young played the Reading Festival in Reading, U.K., in 1995. Half of the songs he performed were from his new Mirror Ball LP. Backing him in the studio and at the concert were members of Pearl Jam, as they also played some Neil classics, songs like “The Needle and the Damage Done,” “Mr. Soul,” “After the Gold Rush,” “Cortez the Killer” and “Rockin’ in the Free World.”

1996 Pearl Jam release No Code. It becomes their third No. 1 album.

Koala
08-28-2010, 07:33 AM
1963 A crowd of 200,000 hears Mahalia Jackson's moving rendition of the inspirational "I Been 'Buked and I Been Scorned," which precedes Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, DC.

1964 After playing a show at Forest Hills Tennis Stadium, New York, The Beatles met Bob Dylan for the first time at The Delmonico Hotel. Dylan and mutual journalist friend Al Aronowitz introduce the Fab Four to marijuana.

1968 Simon and Garfunkel started a five-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Bookends'.

1968 The Beach Boys were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Do It Again', the group's second and final UK No.1.

1971 John Denver hits #2 with "Take Me Home Country Road."

2005 Green Day cleaned up at this years MTV awards held in Miami winning seven awards including, Video of the Year for ‘Boulevard of Broken Dreams’ and the Viewer's Choice Award. Best Male Video went to Kanye West for ‘Jesus Walks’, Best Choreography went to Gwen Stefani for ‘Hollaback Girl’ and Breakthrough Video went to Gorillaz for ‘Feel Good Inc.’ The awards went ahead despite concerns over Hurricane Katrina, which hit Florida last week, and after a shooting at a pre-awards party. Record boss Suge Knight was shot in the leg during at a party for Kanye West.

Koala
08-29-2010, 03:39 AM
1958 Michael Jackson is born.

1958 John Lennon and Paul McCartney welcome George Harrison into their group the Quarrymen.

1966 The Beatles played their last concert before a paying audience, at Candlestick Park in San Francisco, California to a sold-out crown of 25,000. John and Paul, knowing what the fans do not (that this will be the last concert ever) bring cameras on stage and take pictures between songs. During this tour, The Beatles have not played a single song from their latest album, ‘Revolver’. They finished the show with a version of Little Richards 'Long Tall Sally'.

1977 Three people were arrested in Memphis after trying to steal Elvis' body. As a result, his remains would be later moved to Graceland.

1984 U2 kicked off their Unforgettable Fire World Tour at Christchurch Town Hall in New Zealand, the first of 19 shows in Australia and New Zealand.

1987 Rick Astley's debut hit 'Never Gonna Give You Up', started a five-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart. It became the biggest selling single of 1987 and the song won Best British Single at the 1988 Brit Awards.

1992 U2 became only the second act ever (Billy Joel was the first) to play at The Yankee Stadium in New York City, during their sold out Zoo TV tour.

Koala
08-30-2010, 02:17 AM
1969 two weeks after the Woodstock festival, the second Isle of Wight festival took place. Over 150,000 turned up over the two days to see Bob Dylan, The Band, Blodwyn Pig, Blonde On Blonde, Bonzo Dog Dooh Dah Band, Edgar Broughton Band, Joe Cocker, Aynsley Dunbar, Family, Fat Mattress, Julie Felix, Free, Gypsy, Richie Havens, The Moody Blues, The Nice, Tom Paxton, Pentangle, The Pretty Things, Third Ear Band and The Who. Tickets 25 shillings, ($3.00). Celebrities who attended include Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, John & Yoko, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Jane Fonder, Liz Taylor and Richard Burton.

1969 One hit wonders Zager and Evans started a three week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'In The Year 2525.' The song that was written by Rick Evens in 1964, also spent six weeks at No.1 on the US chart.

1972 John Lennon performs at Madison Square Garden. It will be his last concert as a headliner. The show will posthumously be released in 1986 as Live in New York City.

1973 The Doors finally break up. Following Jim Morrison’s death in July 1971, the band had released two more albums, which absolutely no one owns.

1989 Izzy Stradlin of Guns N’ Roses is arrested for creating a disturbance on an airline flight.

Koala
08-30-2010, 02:21 AM
1969 One hit wonders Zager and Evans started a three week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'In The Year 2525.' The song that was written by Rick Evens in 1964, also spent six weeks at No.1 on the US chart.

This song is my current Ringtone.

Prettymaid
08-30-2010, 03:02 PM
1969 two weeks after the Woodstock festival, the second Isle of Wight festival took place. Over 150,000 turned up over the two days to see Bob Dylan, The Band, Blodwyn Pig, Blonde On Blonde, Bonzo Dog Dooh Dah Band, Edgar Broughton Band, Joe Cocker, Aynsley Dunbar, Family, Fat Mattress, Julie Felix, Free, Gypsy, Richie Havens, The Moody Blues, The Nice, Tom Paxton, Pentangle, The Pretty Things, Third Ear Band and The Who. Tickets 25 shillings, ($3.00). Celebrities who attended include Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, John & Yoko, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Jane Fonder, Liz Taylor and Richard Burton.

Jane Fonder? :hilarious:

Koala
08-31-2010, 02:40 AM
1945 Van Morrison was born.

1965 Sonny & Cher arrived in the UK for their first promotional visit.

1969 During a North American tour Led Zeppelin appeared at the Texas International Pop Festival in Lewisville. Also on the bill: BB King, The Incredible String Band, Sam & Dave and Janis Joplin.

1976 George Harrison was found guilty of 'subconscious plagiarism' of the Ronnie Mack song 'He's So Fine' when writing 'My Sweet Lord'. Earnings from the song were awarded to Mack's estate; The Chiffons then recorded their own version of 'My Sweet Lord'.

1985 'Brothers In Arms' by Dire Straits started a nine-week run at No.1 on the US album charts. The album also topped the charts in 25 other countries and went on to sell over 20 million worldwide.

1987 The largest pre-order of albums in the history of CBS Records occurred as 2.25 million copies of Michael Jackson's ‘Bad’ album were shipped to record stores in the US. The LP followed the Jackson album, ‘Thriller’, the biggest Jackson-seller of all time (over 35 million copies sold). ‘Bad’ went on to sell over 13 million copies.

2006 The Times ran a story on the demands of rock stars when on tour. Ozzy Osbourne insists on an eye, ear, nose and throat doctor at each venue. The Beach Boys require a licensed masseur, Meat Loaf a mask and one small tank of oxygen. David Bowie requests that the dressing room temperature is between 14c and 18c and Paul McCartney must have a large arrangement of white Casablanca lilies in his dressing room. Mick Jagger must have an onstage autocue with the lyrics to all the songs, it would also tell him the name of the city in which they were performing.

Koala
09-01-2010, 01:57 AM
1947 Barry Gibb (Bee Gees) is born

1955 after complaints from his neighbours, Rock 'n' Roll fan Sidney Adams was fined £3 and 10 shillings, ($9.80) by a London Court after playing Bill Haley's 'Shake Rattle and Roll' all day at full volume.

1976 'Fleetwood Mac' peaks at #1, setting a record for the longest time between an album's release and its topping the charts. Three singles drawn from the album mark Fleetwood Mac's debut in the U.S. Top Forty: "Over My Head" (#20), "Rhiannon" (#11) and "Say You Love Me" (#11).

1979 U2 release their first record, the U2-3 EP.

1980 Fleetwood Mac ended a nine-month world tour with a performance at the Hollywood Bowl. Lindsay Buckingham announced on stage, "This is our last show for a long time."

1997 The first Genesis album in six years is premiered live on a radio special and simultaneous webcast at www.atlantic-records.com. The band plays songs from its new set “Calling All Stations,” its first album with singer Ray Wilson.

1999 Van Morrison becomes the first inductee to the Hot Press Irish Music Hall of Fame (IMHF) at a ceremony in Dublin.

2003 Sir Elton John tops the U.K. singles charts with “Are You Ready for Love.” Nothing unusual about that, except the song is actually an outtake from 1977.

TimothyBFan
09-01-2010, 07:44 AM
1999 Van Morrison becomes the first inductee to the Hot Press Irish Music Hall of Fame (IMHF) at a ceremony in Dublin.

What a great birthday present that was (tho a day late).

Koala
09-02-2010, 02:10 AM
1970 Genesis run an advertisement for a drummer in the English magazine Melody Maker. Former child actor-turned-skins beater Phil Collins answers and convinces the band to hire him by revealing that he played bongos on George Harrison's All Things Must Pass.

1972 The Erie Canal Soda Pop Festival was held over three days on Bull Island, near Griffin, Indiana. The Promoters expected over 50,000 music fans over 200,000 attended the festival. Many bands pulled out as the festival drifted steadily into anarchy. Bands that did appear included Flash Cadillac & the Continental Kids, Black Oak Arkansas, Cheech and Chong, Foghat, Albert King, Brownsville Station, Canned heat, Flash, Ravi Shankar, Rory Gallagher, Lee Michaels and Frosty, The Eagles, The Amboy Dukes, and Gentle Giant. Three concert goers drowned in the Wabash River and as the festival ended, the remnants of the crowd burned down the music stand.

1988 Peter Gabriel participates in Amnesty International "Human Rights Now" world tour, along with Tracey Chapman, Bruce Springsteen, Sting and others, opening at Wembley Stadium. Taking in five continents and claiming to be the most ambitious rock tour in history.

1995 Michael Jackson went to No.1 on the US singles chart with a song written by R. Kelly 'You Are Not Alone'. It holds a Guinness World Record as the first song in the 37 year history of the Billboard Hot 100 to debut at No.1.

1995 Michael Jackson went to No.1 on the US singles chart with a song written by R. Kelly 'You Are Not Alone'. It holds a Guinness World Record as the first song in the 37 year history of the Billboard Hot 100 to debut at No.1.

TimothyBFan
09-02-2010, 07:35 AM
1970 Genesis run an advertisement for a drummer in the English magazine Melody Maker. Former child actor-turned-skins beater Phil Collins answers and convinces the band to hire him by revealing that he played bongos on George Harrison's All Things Must Pass.

I don't believe I knew he had been a child actor. I wonder what he played in.

Koala
09-02-2010, 10:06 AM
I don't believe I knew he had been a child actor. I wonder what he played in.

He is one of 350 extras in the Beatles film A Hard Day’s Night. He earns 15 pounds a week for playing the Artful Dodger in the Musical Oliver. He will play this role for seven months at the New Theatre in Martin’s Lane until his voice breaks (the role includes the song You’ve Got To Pick A Pocket Or Two). He was also in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang as one of the children who stormed the castle at the end of the movie but was edited out.He also auditioned for the role of Romeo inRome and Juliet (1968).

Koala
09-03-2010, 01:31 AM
1965 a Rolling Stones gig in Dublin, Ireland ended in a riot after 30 fans jumped on to the stage. Jagger was knocked to the floor as the rest of the band fled the stage.

1968 After a two week absence, Ringo Starr rejoined The Beatles. Upon Ringo's return to the studio, he found his drum kit covered with flowers to welcome him back.

1970 it was reported that the Bob Dylan bootleg album 'Great White Wonder' had sold over 350000 copies.

1977 The month after his death, Elvis Presley had 27 albums and 9 singles in the Top 100 charts in the UK. 'Moody Blue' was the No.1 album while 'Way Down' was No.1 on the singles chart, (putting him equal with the Beatles, each amassing 17 No.1 hits).

1989 'Pump,' the cornerstone album of Aerosmith's post-sobriety renaissance, is released. It yields a bumper crop of hit singles: "Love in an Elevator" (#5), "Janie's Got a Gun" (#4), "What It Takes" (#9) and "The Other Side" (#22).

1999 the largest music bootleg bust in US history was made. It was estimated that this one operation alone was responsible for $100 million in lost revenues. Recording equipment valued at $250,000 was confiscated, as were almost 1 million CDs and tapes.

2002 The Rolling Stones 40th anniversary Licks tour kicked off at the Fleet Centre Boston. Tickets for the best seats cost $224. The world tour would see the band playing to over 2.5m fans over 100 shows.

2006 Don Henley plays the Jazz Aspen Snowmass Festival. John Mellencamp was originally scheduled but had to drop out. The Labor Day weekend show is in Snowmass Village, CO.

Koala
09-04-2010, 02:36 AM
1965 The Beatles started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Help', the title of their second film and the group's ninth US No.1.

1965 The Who had their van stolen containing over £5000 worth of equipment outside the Battersea Dogs Home. The band were inside the home at the time buying a guard dog. The van was later recovered.

1968 The Bee Gees had their second UK No.1 single with 'I've Gotta Get A Message To You'.

1976 Fleetwood Mac went to No.1 on the US album chart with their self-titled album after being on the charts for over a year. The album went on to sell over 5 million copies in the US and was the first of three No.1 albums for the group.

1976 The Bee Gees went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'You Should Be Dancing', the group's third US No.1, a No.5 hit in the UK.

1996 In London, Cat Stevens (Yusuf) has his first autograph-signing session since converting to Islam in 1977.

2008 the first guitar torched on stage by Jimi Hendrix sold for £280,000 at an auction of rock memorabilia. The Fender Stratocaster was burned at the end of a show at the Astoria in Finsbury Park, north London, in 1967. The sale held in London also included the Beatles' first management contract, signed in 1962 by all four members of the group and manager Brian Epstein, sold for £240,00.

Koala
09-05-2010, 03:47 AM
1946 Freddie Mercury of Queen is born.

1964 The Animals started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'House Of The Rising Sun'. When first released the record company printed the time of the song on the record as three minutes feeling that the real time of four minutes was too long for radio airplay.

1981 Stevie Nicks went to No.1 on the US album with Bella Donna, featuring the tracks ‘Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around’ (the Tom Petty duet), ‘Leather and Lace’ (with Don Henley), ‘Edge of Seventeen’ and ‘After the Glitter Fades.’
1981 Foreigner hits #4 with "Urgent".

1990 B.B. King receives a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
1992 Guns N' Roses hits #3 with "November Rain".

1998"I Don't Want to Miss a Thing," from the soundtrack to the film Armageddon, becomes Aerosmith's first #1 hit. It holds down the top spot for a full month.

1999 After spending 58 weeks on the UK album chart, Shania Twain went to No.1 with 'Come On Over'. It gave the Canadian singer the biggest selling UK album of the year.

2008 Reba McEntire went to No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Keep on Loving You’ the country singer, songwriter’s twenty fifth-studio album.

Koala
09-06-2010, 01:22 AM
1944 Roger Waters is born.

1968 Working at Abbey Road studio’s in London, The Beatles recoded overdubs onto the new George Harrison song ‘While My Guitar Gently Weeps’. Eric Clapton added the guitar solo and became the first outside musician to play on a Beatles recording and George recorded his lead vocal.

1988 2,000 items of Elton John’s personal memorabilia including his boa feathers, 'Pinball Wizard' boots and hundreds of pairs of spectacles were auctioned at Sotheby’s in London.

1997 Elton John recorded a new version of 'Candle In The Wind' after performing the song live at Diana Princess of Wales funeral. A record 31.5 million across the UK watched Elton play the special tribute to Diana. The track went on to become the biggest selling single of all-time.

2000 'You're the One,' Paul Simon's ninth solo album (excepting compilations and concert discs), is released. It is his first album of songs not tied to a larger conceptual framework since 1983's 'Hearts and Bones.

2005 Sir Bob Geldof was awarded the freedom of his native Dublin after the City Council voted in favour of giving him the accolade in honour of his campaign against world poverty and alleviating debt in Africa.

Koala
09-07-2010, 02:16 AM
1936 Charles Hardin Holley, a.k.a., Buddy Holly, is born in Lubbock, Texas.

1968 The Doors played the first of two nights at The Roundhouse, London, playing 2 shows a night on their first UK visit. Granada TV filmed the sold out gigs (later shown as "The Doors Are Open"), which were attended by members of The Rolling Stones and Traffic.

1968 Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and John Bonham made their live debut as Led Zeppelin at Teen Club Box 45 in Gladsaxe in Denmark.

1976 Abba were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Dancing Queen', the group's fourth UK No.1 single and their only US No.1 chart topper. The song was a No.1 hit in over a dozen countries and stayed at the top of the Swedish charts for 14 weeks.

1978 Keith Moon of the Who dies of an overdose of the drug prescribed to control his alcoholism.

Koala
09-08-2010, 01:20 AM
1974 I Shot the Sheriff (Eric Clapton) was a hit.

1979 Led Zeppelin scored their eighth UK No.1 album when 'In Through The Out Door' went to the top of the charts for two weeks.

1984 Stevie Wonder had his first UK No.1 with 'I Just Called To Say I Love You'. Taken from the film 'Lady In Red', it was 18 years after Wonder's chart debut in 1966. The song stayed at No.1 for six weeks.

1990 Jon Bon Jovi hits #1 with "Blaze of Glory".

1999 To promote Apple/EMI’s Sept. 14 release of the Beatles’ “Yellow Submarine” album, a Eurostar cross-Channel train custom-designed with artwork from the animated film leaves London’s Waterloo Station at 11:57 a.m. GMT for Paris.

Koala
09-09-2010, 01:26 AM
1941 Otis Redding is born.

1963 The Beatles were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'She Loves You.' 'Please Please Me' was at No.1 on the UK album chart.

1965 Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone" reaches #2.

1975 Wings' ambitious world tour, the first such undertaking by a Beatle, kicks off in Britain. It runs for 13 months, ending in October 1976. 'Wings Over America', a three-record set released in December 1976, is culled from U.S. dates on the tour.

1978 On the albums chart, the Who are a new entry with Who Are You, their last long-player recorded with Keith Moon.

1981 At Amnesty International’s fund-raising Secret Policeman’s Other Ball in London, Phil Collins makes his first live solo appearances.

1989 New Kids On The Block scored their second US No.1 single with 'Hangin' Tough', a No.1 in the UK in 1990. The group also went to No.1 on the US album chart on this day with 'Hangin Tough'.

1992 Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody," featured in the comedy 'Wayne's World,' wins Best Video from a film at the ninth annual MTV Awards. In its second return to the charts the previous April, it hit #2.

1998 Pioneer synth-pop band Depeche Mode begins its first concert outing in five years in Helsinki. The week prior, the band plays several warm-up gigs in Estonia, Latvia, and Russia including a Sept. 5 show in Moscow’s Red Square.

2003 Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel announce they are reunited for an autumn tour. The "Bridge Over Troubled Water" duo last reformed for New York concerts in 1993.

2003 Sinead O'Connor releases She Who Dwells in the Secret Place of the Most High Shall Abide Under the Shadow of the Almighty, which she claims will be her final album.

Koala
09-10-2010, 03:24 AM
1963 The Daily Mirror published a two-page article about The Beatles. Written by Donald Zec, the feature is entitled ‘Four Frenzied Little Lord Fauntleroys Who Are Earning 5,000 Pounds A Week’ Zec, who had attended a Beatles concert in Luton on Sept. 6 and then invited them to his home to complete the interview, referred to The Beatles' haircuts as ‘A stone-age hair style’. The article provided a major boost to their career.

1964 Rod Stewart recorded his first single, a version of Willie Dixon's 'Good Morning Little School Girl.' Future Led Zeppelin bass player John Paul Jones played on the session.

1966 You Can't Hurry Love" by the Supremes hits #1.

1968 The Beatles were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Hey Jude', the group's 15th UK No.1 and the longest chart topper ever at seven minutes and ten seconds. The single was the first release on the group's Apple records label.

1983 former Stevie Wonder guitarist Michael Sembello, started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Maniac'. The track was featured in the film 'Flashdance'. A No.43 hit in the UK.

1988 Phil Collins was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'A Groovy Kind Of Love.' Taken from his film 'Buster' the song had been a No.2 hit for The Mindbenders in 1966.

2008 Peter Gabriel is given the Ambassador of Conscience Award in London form tue Arts of Amnesty for human rights.

TimothyBFan
09-10-2010, 09:49 AM
1964 Rod Stewart recorded his first single, a version of Willie Dixon's 'Good Morning Little School Girl.' Future Led Zeppelin bass player John Paul Jones played on the session.

I've got to see if I can find this. Didn't know he'd done a version of it. Love Willie's version but my favorite version is Jonny Lang's from his very 1st album when he was 14. He rocks it!

Nobody'sBeach
09-10-2010, 10:04 AM
It's on his Storyteller anthology (came out late '89, I think).

TimothyBFan
09-10-2010, 10:12 AM
I've actually got that. :hilarious: Shows how much I pay attention! Geesh!:brickwall:

MikeA
09-10-2010, 11:04 AM
2003 Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel announce they are reunited for an autumn tour. The "Bridge Over Troubled Water" duo last reformed for New York concerts in 1993.

I saw one of those concerts in Columbus, Indiana the night before an Eagles concert at the same Venue! Good Stuff!

Koala
09-11-2010, 02:11 AM
1961 Judy Garland started a 13-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Judy At Carnegie Hall'.

1961 After George Martin insisted that session drummer Andy White took Ringo Starr's place, The Beatles returned to EMI Studios in London for a third attempt at recording their first single. ‘Love Me Do’ was selected to be The Beatles' first A-side, with "P.S. I Love You" on the flip side (a reversal of the original plan). The single that was released on October 5th featured a version of ‘Love Me Do’ with Ringo on drums, but the album ‘Please Please Me’ included a version with Andy White on drums.

1965 The Beatles started a nine-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Help!', the group's sixth US chart topper.

1971 Donny Osmond started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Go Away Little Girl'. The singers only US solo chart topper. The song had also been a No.1 for Steve Lawrence in 1963.

1977 David Bowie recorded a guest appearance on 'Bing Crosby's 'Merrie Olde Christmas' TV show duetting with Crosby on 'Peace On Earth - Little Drummer Boy. The track became a UK No.3 hit five years later in 1982.

1987 Peter Gabriel cleaned up at this year's MTV Awards, winning best video, best male video, best concept video, best special effects and five other awards for the track 'Sledgehammer'.