PDA

View Full Version : Today in Rock n' Roll History

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

sodascouts
03-16-2012, 07:33 PM
As to who decides, Jann Wenner of Rolling Stone appears to wield a great deal of influence.
Oh, he does. Here's a quote from Peter Tork:
"Jann Wenner is single-handedly keeping us out of the Hall of Fame," the mop-topped bass player for the '60s group told Page Six. He said Wenner, who co-founded and is a vice-chairman of the Cleveland-based museum, "doesn't care what the rules are and just operates how he sees fit. It is an abuse of power. I don't know whether The Monkees belong in the Hall of Fame, but it's pretty clear that we're not in there because of a personal whim."

The article goes on about Wenner's influence and alleged abuse of it with regard to the Hall of Fame. Read more at the New York Post (http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/item_EoM175UPPYYsmgyThg9o9M).

Topkat
03-17-2012, 08:28 AM
There are 2 sides to every story, and then there's the truth. I think a lot of people hold a grudge against Jann Wenner for one reason or another. I had seen on a YouTube video a link to vote for the inductees nominated for the R&R HOF. I did go & voted and saw the voting results up to that point. It was for this years nominees.

Do I think a band like the Monkees belong in the R&R HOF??...I'm not so sure, but there other bands that should be in. There are petitions going around to have certain bands nominated. I believe this is the case for the Small Faces/Faces which will finally be inducted this year.

Ive always been a dreamer
03-17-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm with FP about ABBA. I definitely think they are worthy of being in the R&R HOF. Whether someone is a fan or not, pop rock is a sub-genre of rock and roll and ABBA was a pretty influential and successful band. But, I also think you can make some strong arguments for the other bands mentioned here as well, including the Monkees.

Freypower
03-17-2012, 05:25 PM
But it's a ROCK N ROLL Hall of Fame. Not a Pop Music one.

By this argument you would have no black music; no soul or R&B. You would only have Jimi Hendrix. The term 'Rock'n'Roll' covers all popular music since the mid 1950s.

For what it's worth I was not a fan of the Monkees; but they were (and still are) greatly loved & I believe they deserve to be in the Hall of Fame.

Koala
03-18-2012, 03:04 AM
1967 The Beatles scored their 13th US No.1 single with 'Penny Lane.'

1972 "Heart of Gold," by Neil Young -- and featuring Linda Ronstadt and James Taylor on harmony vocals -- tops the singles charts.

1978 The Bee Gees had the Top 3 on the US singles charts, 'Night Fever' at No.1, '(Love is) Thicker Than Water', by brother Andy at No.2, co-written by Barry Gibb and 'Emotion' by Samantha Song written and produced by The Bee Gees at No.3.

1995 'Greatest Hits', an 18-track anthology that includes newly recorded tracks by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, enters the album chart at #1. A video documentary of the studio reunion is released in 1998 as 'Blood Brothers'.

2002 Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the seventeenth annual induction dinner. Jakob Dylan is their presenter.

Koala
03-19-2012, 01:07 AM
1958 Big Records released 'Our Song' by a teenage duo from Queens, New York, Tom and Jerry. The duo will become famous in the '60s under their real names, Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel.

1964 UK Prime Minister Harold Wilson presented The Beatles with their awards for show business personalities of the year for 1963 at London's Dorchester Hotel.

1971 T Rex were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Hot Love.' The group's first of four UK No.1's spent six weeks at the top of the charts.

1978 Billy Joel made his UK live debut at London's Dury Lane Theatre.

1982 Ozzy Osbourne's rhythm guitarist and former Quiet Riot member Randy Rhoads was killed when the plane he was riding in crashed. After driving much of the night, the band had stopped near a small airstrip. The tour bus driver, Andrew Aycock, talked the band's keyboardist, Don Airey, into taking a test flight in a '55 Beechcraft Bonanza, the joyride ended, and the plane landed safely. Then Aycock took Rhoads and Rachel Youngblood on another flight and attempts were made to "buzz" the tour bus. The left wing clipped the bus, which sent the plane spiraling into a nearby house and bursting into flames. All three bodies were burned beyond recognition, and were identified by dental records.

1989 The Living Years (Mike & the Mechanics) was a hit.

2006 Shakira was set to become the first pop star to release a single only in the form of a mobile download. The singers forthcoming release 'Hips Don't Lie' would not be issued in the US as a CD or as a download via the internet but would be available to phone users connected to Verizon.

TimothyBFan
03-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Don't get me wrong about Abba---not saying they're not worthy of the RNR HOF BUT there are a LOT of ROCK bands that have yet to make it. Personally, I think it should be called the Music HOF because, let's face it, there's all genres in it. My argument has always been that there are bands that should be or should of been included LONG before they actually go in. When I'm seeing rap groups and pop groups being put into the ROCK N ROLL HOF before ROCK groups, that's where I have a complaint.

BTW--- regarding petitions being passed around for certain groups.... I'm rather fond of this one and would appreciate all of your names being added to it!!! :thumbsup:

http://www.petitiononline.com/Cars2009/petition.html

zeldabjr
03-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Don't get me wrong about Abba---not saying they're not worthy of the RNR HOF BUT there are a LOT of ROCK bands that have yet to make it. Personally, I think it should be called the Music HOF because, let's face it, there's all genres in it. My argument has always been that there are bands that should be or should of been included LONG before they actually go in. When I'm seeing rap groups and pop groups being put into the ROCK N ROLL HOF before ROCK groups, that's where I have a complaint.

BTW--- regarding petitions being passed around for certain groups.... I'm rather fond of this one and would appreciate all of your names being added to it!!! :thumbsup:

http://www.petitiononline.com/Cars2009/petition.html

I signed! I always loved the Cars.

TimothyBFan
03-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Thank you Zelda!! They are my 2nd favorite group ever!!! Love my Cars and my beloved late Benjamin Orr!!!

Troubadour
03-19-2012, 02:10 PM
I just signed it, too! I know how much you love them, Willie.

Koala
03-20-2012, 01:23 AM
1968 Eric Clapton, Neil Young, Richie Furay and Jim Mesina, were arrested in Los Angeles for 'being at a place where it was suspected marijuana was being used.' Clapton was later found innocent, the others paid small fines.

1969 John Lennon married Yoko Ono at the British Consulate Office in Gibraltar. They spent their honeymoon in Amsterdam campaigning for an international "Bed-In" for peace. They planned another "Bed-in" in the United States, but were denied entry. The couple then went to Montr’al, and during a "Bed-in" at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel recorded ‘Give Peace a Chance’. Lennon also detailed this period in The Beatles' ‘The Ballad of John and Yoko’, recorded by Lennon and McCartney on April 14, 1969.

1971 At their own expense The Rolling Stones placed full page advertisements in all the UK's music papers disclaiming any connection with the release of the Decca album 'Stone Age' saying 'in our opinion the content is below the standard we try to keep.'

1971 Janis Joplin started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with the Kris Kristofferson's 'Me And Bobby McGee'. Joplin died the year before on 4th October aged 27.

1991 Eric Clapton's four year old son, Conor, fell to his death from the 53rd story of a New York City apartment after a housekeeper who was cleaning the room left a window open. The boy was in the custody of his mother, Italian actress, Lori Del Santo and the pair were visiting a friend's apartment. Clapton was staying in a nearby hotel after taking his son to the circus the previous evening. The tragedy inspired his song ‘Tears in Heaven’.

TimothyBFan
03-20-2012, 07:49 AM
I just signed it, too! I know how much you love them, Willie.

Thanks, Lou. How'd you know? ;)

lizzyplays
03-20-2012, 10:14 AM
I signed as well! Love the Cars!

Koala
03-21-2012, 01:07 AM
1987 U2 scored their third UK No.1 album with 'The Joshua Tree', featuring the singles 'Where The Streets Have No Name', & 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For'. The album became the fastest selling in UK history and the first album to sell over a million CDs, spending a total of 156 weeks on the UK chart. Also a US No.1.

1991 Leo Fender, the inventor of The Telecaster and Stratocaster guitars died from Parkinson's disease. He started mass producing solid body electric guitars in the late 40s and when he sold his guitar company in 1965, sales were in excess of $40 million a year.

http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/graphics/spacer.gif1994 Neil Youn?s Grammy-nominated "Philadelphia," from the AIDS-themed movie of the same name, loses to Bruce Springsteen's "Streets of Philadelphia' (also on the soundtrack), for Best Song from a Motion Picture.

2004 Ozzy Osbourne was named the nation's favourite ambassador to welcome aliens to planet earth. The 55-year-old singer came top of a poll as the face people want to represent them to alien life. The poll of internet users was carried out following the discovery of signs of water on Mars. Ozzy won 26 per cent of the vote, Simon Cowell, came last on the list, with just three per cent of the vote, A spokesman for Yahoo! News said: "As the world waits desperately for signs of alien life, we decided to ask our users who they thought was best suited for this most auspicious of roles. Ozzy is a great choice but I'm not sure what the Martians would make of his individual approach to the English language."

TimothyBFan
03-21-2012, 07:30 AM
I signed as well! Love the Cars!

Thanks Lizzy!!! Glad to hear you like them. There's a thread here just for them. They are my other obsession!!!

2004 Ozzy Osbourne was named the nation's favourite ambassador to welcome aliens to planet earth. The 55-year-old singer came top of a poll as the face people want to represent them to alien life. The poll of internet users was carried out following the discovery of signs of water on Mars. Ozzy won 26 per cent of the vote, Simon Cowell, came last on the list, with just three per cent of the vote, A spokesman for Yahoo! News said: "As the world waits desperately for signs of alien life, we decided to ask our users who they thought was best suited for this most auspicious of roles. Ozzy is a great choice but I'm not sure what the Martians would make of his individual approach to the English language."

:hilarious: That's hysterical!!! Can't think of anyone in rock n roll better suited!!!

Koala
03-22-2012, 01:21 AM
1956 While driving to New York for appearances on 'The Perry Como Show', and 'The Ed Sullivan Show', the car that Carl Perkins was traveling in was involved in an accident putting Perkins in hospital for several months. The singer received four broken ribs and a broken shoulder, his brother Jay was killed in the accident.

1975 Led Zeppelin started a six week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Physical Graffiti', the group's fourth US No.1 album.

1980 Pink Floyd's 'Another Brick In The Wall', started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart. Also No.1 in the UK.

1984 Queen filmed the video for ‘I Want To Break Free’ at Limehouse Studio in London, England. Directed by David Mallet, it was a parody of the northern British soap opera Coronation Street with the band members dressed in drag. Guitarist Brian May later said the video ruined the band in America, and was initially banned by MTV in the US.

Koala
03-23-2012, 01:06 AM
1964 John Lennon's book of verse and rhyme 'In His Own Write' was published in the UK. Some of the content was first published in Lennon's 'Beachcomber' column in Mersey Beat.

1967 At a ceremony held at the Playhouse Theatre in London, The Beatles were awarded three Ivor Novello awards for 1966: Best-selling British single ‘Yellow Submarine’, most-performed song ‘Michelle’, and next-most-performed song ‘Yesterday’. None of the Beatles attended and the winning songs were played by Joe Loss and his Orchestra. The lead vocal for ‘Michelle’ was sung by Ross MacManus, whose son would go on to become the professional musician Elvis Costello.

1972 The film of The Concert For Bangladesh featuring George Harrison, Bob Dylan and Eric Clapton premiered in New York. The event was the first benefit concert of this magnitude in world history. The concert raised $243,418.51 for Bangladesh relief, which was administered by UNICEF. Sales of the album and DVD continue to benefit the George Harrison Fund for UNICEF.

1977 Elvis Presley appeared at the Arizona State University in Tempe, Arizona. This was the first date of 49 date US tour over three months and Presley's last ever tour. (His last ever show was on 26th June 1977 at the Indianapolis Indiana Market Square Arena).

1985 Former Creedence Clearwater Revival front man John Fogerty went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Centerfield.'

1991 R.E.M. scored their first UK No.1 album with their seventh LP 'Out Of Time' featuring the singles 'Losing My Religion' (which became R.E.M.'s highest-charting hit in the US, reaching No.4), and 'Shiny Happy People.' The video for 'Losing My Religion' won two Grammy Awards and six MTV Awards.

Koala
03-24-2012, 02:57 AM
1945 Billboard published the first US LP chart. Nat King Cole was at No.1 with 'A Collection Of Favourites.'

1966 Simon and Garfunkel made their UK singles chart debut with 'Homeward Bound.' Simon is said to have written the song at Farnworth railway station, Widnes, England, while stranded overnight waiting for a train. A plaque is displayed in the station to commemorate this, although memorabilia hunters have stolen it many times. The song describes his longing to return home, both to his then girlfriend, Kathy Chitty in Brentwood, Essex, England, and to return to the United States. The song was also a No.5 hit in the US.

1973 During a Lou Reed show in Buffalo, New York, a fan jumped on stage and bit Lou on the bottom. The man was thrown out of the theatre and Reed completed the show.

1985 'Easy Lover' by Philip Bailey and Phil Collins was at No.1 on the UK singles chart. Bailey was a former vocalist with Earth Wind & Fire. Phil Collins produced, drummed and sang on the track.

http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/graphics/spacer.gif

1992 A Chicago court settled the Milli Vanilli class action suit by approving cash rebates of up to $3 (‘1.76) to anyone proving they bought the group’s music before November 27 1990, the date the lip synching scandal broke. Milli Vanilli won the 1989 best new artist Grammy after hits like 'Blame it on the Rain' and 'Girl, You Know It's True,' selling 30 million singles and 14 million albums. But in late 1990, the performers were stripped of the award after it was revealed that neither actually sang on the Milli Vanilli album.

Koala
03-25-2012, 02:01 AM
1942 Aretha Franklin was born.

1947 Reginald Kenneth Dwight, a.k.a. Elton John, is born.

1964 The Beatles made their debut on UK TV show 'Top Of The Pops' singing 'Can't Buy Me Love' and ‘You Can’t Do That.’ The show had been recorded on March 19th.

1967 The Who and Cream made their U.S. concert debut at RKO 58th Street Theatre, New York City as part of a rock & roll extravaganza promoted by DJ Murray the K.

1967 Pink Floyd played three gigs in 24 hours. The appeared at the Ricky Tick Club in Windsor, England, then the New Yorker Discotheque in Swindon and then played at the Shoreline Club in Bognor Regis (in the early hours 26 March).

1969 John and Yoko started their week long 'bed-in' in the presidential suite at The Amsterdam Hilton hotel. The couple invited the world's press into their hotel room every day, to talk about promoting world peace.

1972 America hits #1 with "Horse With No Name".

1989 Mike And The Mechanics went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'The Living Years', a No. 2 hit in the UK.

Koala
03-27-2012, 12:21 AM
1950 Tony Banks, keyboards, Genesis, is born.

1969 The Rascals release the ambitious 'Freedom Suite', comprising a disc of short songs and one of lengthy instrumentals. It joins the Who's 'Tommy', Cream's 'Wheels of Fire' and the Beatles' White Album as one of a relative few double albums from the Sixties.

1984 Metallica made their UK live debut at the Marquee, London.

1987 U2 performed from the roof of a store in downtown LA to make the video for 'Where The Streets Have No Name', attracting thousands of spectators and bringing traffic to a standstill. The police eventually stop the shoot.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-27-2012, 12:32 AM
1987 U2 performed from the roof of a store in downtown LA to make the video for 'Where The Streets Have No Name', attracting thousands of spectators and bringing traffic to a standstill. The police eventually stop the shoot.

I remember the video. I loved it!

sodascouts
03-27-2012, 03:27 AM
That video is one of my faves too. How cool would it have been to see that live?

Koala
04-03-2012, 02:57 AM
1964 Bob Dylan made his first entry on the UK charts with 'The Times They Are A-Changin'.

1979 Kate Bush kicked off the 28-date 'Tour Of Life' trek making her concert debut at Liverpool's Empire Theatre, England. Bush never set out on another tour again.

1991 "MTV Unplugged" world premieres a one hour acoustic performances with Paul McCartney. Taped in London, the show is simulcasted on the Global Satellite Network.

2011 Adele broke the record for the longest time at No.1 in the UK album chart by a female solo artist after her second album, 21 spent 10 consecutive weeks at the top of the chart. The previous record was held by Madonna with her first greatest hits record, The Immaculate Collection, in 1990.

Koala
04-04-2012, 10:06 AM
1964 The Beatles held the top five places on the US singles chart, at No. 5 'Please Please Me', No.4 'I Want To Hold Your Hand', No.3, 'Roll Over Beethoven', No.2 'Love Me Do' and at No.1 'Can't Buy Me Love.' They also had another nine singles on the chart, bringing their total to fourteen singles on the Hot 100.

1970 Crosby Stills Nash & Young went to No.1 on the US album chart with Deja Vu. The first album which saw Neil Young joining Crosby, Stills and Nash featured three US Top 40 singles: 'Teach Your Children', 'Our House' and 'Woodstock.'

1987 Genesis hits #3 in the US with "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight".

1987 U2 entered the US album chart at No.7 with 'The Joshua Tree' making it the highest chart new entry in America for seven years.

Topkat
04-04-2012, 02:40 PM
The Beatles holding the Top 5 spots on Billboard 100 has never been done by any other band. To have 14 songs on the chart is also unheard of! Pretty amazing accomplishment.:thumbsup:

Koala
04-05-2012, 02:19 AM
1978 Duran Duran made their live debut at The Lecture Theatre, Birmingham Polytechnic.

1980 Genesis scored their first UK No.1 album when 'Duke' went to the top of the charts. :thumbsup:

1980 R.E.M. played their first ever gig when they appeared at St Mary's Episcopal Church, Athens, Georgia.

1985 At 3:50pm GMT, over 5,000 radio stations worldwide aired the charity single by USA for Africa 'We Are The World'. The single went on to be a No.1 in the US & UK, and most Western territories.

1994 Kurt Cobain committed suicide by shooting himself in the head at his home in Seattle. Cobain's body wasn't discovered until April 8, by an electrician who had arrived to install a security system, who initially believed that Cobain was asleep, until he saw the shotgun pointing at his chin. A suicide note was found that said, "I haven't felt the excitement of listening to as well as creating music, along with really writing . . . for too many years now". A high concentration of heroin and traces of Valium were found in Cobain's body. His death was officially ruled as suicide by a self-inflicted shotgun wound to the head.

1998 The Spice Girls performed their first ever-live UK concert when they appeared in front of a 9,000 strong audience in Glasgow, Scotland.

2007 Former Kiss guitarist Mark St. John died from an apparent brain hemorrhage at the age of 51. St. John was Kiss' third official guitarist, having replaced Vinnie Vincent in 1984 and appeared on the album 'Animalize'.

2011 A statue in tribute to Nirvana singer Kurt Cobain was unveiled in his hometown of Aberdeen, Washington, The unveiling marked the 17th anniversary of Cobain's death, which occurred on April 5, 1994. The statue designed by local artists Kim and Lora Malakoff was of his signature Fender Jag-Stang guitar. The concrete guitar was eight and a half feet tall and also featured a ribbon with lyrics written on it from Nirvana's 'On a Plain'. It reads: "One more special message to go and then I'm done and I can go home."

Koala
04-06-2012, 02:03 AM
1968 Simon and Garfunkel went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'The Graduate.'

1968 Syd Barrett's departure from Pink Floyd is announced via press release.

1971 The Rolling Stones launched their own record label, 'Rolling Stones Records', with Atlantic Records.

1974 Billy Joel's "Piano Man" enters the 'Billboard' singles chart. It is the first in a string of Top Forty hits that numbers 33, to date.

1974 The California Jam 1 festival took place in Ontario, California, featuring The Eagles, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Earth Wind and Fire, ELP, Black Oak Arkansas and Seals & Croft. Over 200,000 fans attended.

1987 Roger Waters' lawyers issued a statement that Roger believed himself to be the creative driving force behind Pink Floyd and therefore he would contest the use of the name by anyone else and any former members of Pink Floyd.

Koala
04-16-2012, 12:55 AM
1956 Buddy Holly's first single 'Blue Days, Black Nights', was released.

1964 The Rolling Stones first album was released in the UK, it went to No.1 two weeks later and stayed on the chart for 40 weeks, with 11 weeks at No.1.

1970 Led Zeppelin's 'Whole Lotta Love' was certified Gold in the US after selling over a million copies. The single had peaked at No. 4 on the US singles chart.

1972 The Electric Light Orchestra made their debut at The Fox and Greyhound in Croydon, London. ELO were formed to accommodate former Move members Roy Wood and Jeff Lynne's desire to create modern rock and pop songs with classical overtones. Wood departed following the band's debut record, Lynne wrote and arranged all of the group's original compositions and produced every album.

1993 Paul McCartney headlined a concert at the Hollywood Bowl to celebrate 'Earth Day' along with Ringo Starr, Don Henley and Steve Miller. McCartney had last performed there as a member of the Beatles in 1965.

1996 Kiss appeared in full make-up at the 38th Grammy Awards, where they announced a reunion tour. It would mark the first time all four members had appeared together in over fifteen years.

2003 52 year-old soul singer Luther Vandross was admitted to a New York hospital after suffering a stroke.

Koala
04-17-2012, 01:15 AM
1965 Bob Dylan's debut album 'The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan' was at No.1 on the UK chart.

1970 Johnny Cash played at the White House for President Nixon, who requested that he played 'A Boy Named Sue.'
1971 All four Beatles had solo singles in the UK charts, Paul McCartney with 'Another Day', John Lennon, 'Power To The People', George Harrison, 'My Sweet Lord' and Ringo Starr, 'It Don't Come Easy.'

1973 Pink Floyd's album 'The Dark Side of the Moon' went gold in the US. The LP went on to stay in the US chart for more than ten years and became the longest charting rock record of all time.

1994 Pink Floyd started a four-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'The Division Bell', their fourth No.1 album.

2004 Kurt Cobain's Mark IV-style Mosrite Gospel guitar sold for $100,000 at the Icons of 20th Century Music auction held in Dallas, Texas. Other items sold included Elton John and Bernie Taupin's song writing piano which sold for $140,000 and a 1966 Rickenbacker guitar owned by The Byrds Roger McGuinn's sold for $99,000.

2007 Bryan Ferry was forced to make an apology after praising Nazi iconography in a German magazine. Talking to Welt am Sonntag, he said the Nazis "knew how to put themselves in the limelight and present themselves...I'm talking about the films of Leni Riefenstahl and the buildings of Albert Speer and the mass marches and the flags. Just amazing - really beautiful." British MPs asked shoppers to think twice about shopping in Marks and Spencer asking for Ferry to be dropped as the face of the M&S Autograph menswear collection. Ferry said he was "deeply upset" by the publicity surrounding the interview.

2009 Morrissey walked off stage during his set at the Coachella festival in California after declaring he could "smell burning flesh". The committed vegetarian took offence to the smell coming from nearby barbecues. Sir Paul McCartney, The Killers and The Cure also appeared at the event.

Koala
04-18-2012, 01:10 AM
1964 The Beatles appeared on the UK TV comedy program The Morecambe and Wise Show, playing ‘This Boy’, ‘All My Loving’, and ‘I Want to Hold Your Hand’ and also participate in comedy sketches with Eric Morecambe and Ernie Wise. The Beatles also held the UK and US No.1 position on this day with 'Can't Buy Me Love'.

1972 The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Amazing Grace.' The single enjoyed a five-week run at No.1.

1984 Michael Jackson underwent surgery in a Los Angeles hospital to repair damage done after his hair caught fire during the filming of a Pepsi commercial.

1985 Wham! Became the first-ever Western pop act to have an album released in China.

1992 Annie Lennox went to No.1 on the UK album chart with her debut solo release 'Diva.'

2006 A sale of clothes belonging to Sir Elton John raised more than $700,000 (£395,000) for the singer's Aids charity. Over 10,000 pieces were sold during a five-day sale in New York City at the specially-created shop, Elton's Closet, at New York's Rockefeller Centre.
2006 A line from U2's 1992 hit 'One' was voted the UK's favourite song lyric after in a poll of 13,000 people by music channel VH1. The line "One life, with each other, sisters, brothers" came top. The Smiths lyric "So you go, and you stand on your own, and you leave on your own, and you go home, and you cry, and you want to die" from the song 'How Soon is Now' came second in the poll, followed by "I feel stupid and contagious, here we are now, entertain us", from Nirvana's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' which was voted into third place.

2009 The Black Eyes Peas started a 12 week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Boom Boom Pow'. The single was knocked off the No.1 position by the bands next single 'I Gotta Feeling'.

2009 Keith Urban went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Defying Gravity', the Australian singers fifth studio album.

Koala
04-22-2012, 02:03 AM
1964 The President of The National Federation Of Hairdressers offered a free haircut to the next No.1 group in the UK pop charts. He said 'The Rolling Stones are the worst, one of them looks as if he's got a feather duster on his head.'

1978 Bob Marley and the Wailers performed at the 'One Love Peace Concert' in Jamaica. It was Marley's first public appearance in Jamaica since being wounded in an assassination attempt a year and a half earlier.

1997 A new album by the Bee Gees, 'Still Waters', is released as the group celebrates the 30th anniversary of its first hit. They undertake an 18-month world tour.

Koala
04-23-2012, 12:40 AM
1963 The Beatles and The Rolling Stones meet for the first time during a Stones performance at the Crawdaddy Club.

1975 During a North American tour Pink Floyd played the first of five sold out nights at the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arenain Los Angeles, California.

1977 Adam And The Ants made their debut at the Roxy Club, London. http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/graphics/spacer.gif

1988 Roy Orbison celebrated his 52nd birthday at a Bruce Springsteen concert, during which the audience sang happy birthday to him. http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/graphics/spacer.gif

1995 Peter Hodgson, from Liverpool found a tape in his attic containing 16 of The Beatles' earliest recordings made in 1959. The tape included 'Hello Little Girl', a Lennon-McCartney composition that the Beatles never recorded and Ray Charles' 'Hallelujah, I Love Her So'. The sessions had been made on a reel-to-reel recorder that Hodgson's father had lent to Paul McCartney.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-08-2012, 10:34 PM
This day in music history, 11/8/71 - Led Zeppelin 'IV' released.

TimothyBFan
11-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Probably the best album ever!!!! ;) Well, in the top 5 anyways.

Freypower
11-09-2012, 05:37 PM
It's in my Top 5 now. It took a long time to get there. I know a lot of people prefer Physical Graffiti but IV is just iconic.

(For the record my top 5 albums are probably Revolver, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Making Movies, Sticky Fingers & Led Zeppelin IV. No, there are no Eagles albums there any more. I would think that LROOE would make the Top 10).

Brooke
10-20-2014, 03:28 PM
Bringing this old thread forward for very sad day today in R & R history.

"On October 20th, returning from a show in Greensville, South Carolina, Skynyrd’s chartered plane ran short of fuel and crashed in the Mississippi woods. In the crash, Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist Steve Gaines, backup singer Cassie Gaines and road manager Dean Kilpatrick along with the two pilots, lost their lives. The rest of the band members recovered from their injuries and the band went on a ten year hiatus."

RIP Ronnie, Steve, and Cassie.

Your songs live on!

DJ
10-21-2014, 12:22 PM
Very sad indeed. RIP :angel:

Brooke
10-21-2014, 02:54 PM
I aimed to add this to my post and forgot, but just heard it on the radio, so here it is!

Free Bird

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkTQUtx818w

So beautiful!

Topkat
08-17-2015, 11:31 AM
In the summer of 1969, the Woodstock Music & Art Festival was held from Aug 15th-18th in Bethel, NY. It was rock & roll history, became a free concert & introduced the world to many many famous acts.
I was only about 5 miles away, but my mother did not allow me to go, even though some guys were driving a van over from our hotel to bring them some food. She thought I was too young, & didn't want me hanging out with all the Hippies & drugs, LOL...

Some of the acts that appeared were:
Joe Cooker, Jefferson Airplane, The Who, Crosby Stills, Nash, &Young, Joni Mitchel, Jimi Hendrix, Ten Years After, Santana & several others that I can't recall at the moment.
It was 3 days of Love, Peace & Music. If you ever get the chance to see the movie, please watch it as it was well worth it.

The 1994, 25th Anniversary of Woodstock turned into a disaster with fighting, people setting fires: not exactly the same, peaceful easy feeling of the first time around, if you know what I mean <3

LuvTim
08-17-2015, 04:12 PM
In the summer of 1969, the Woodstock Music & Art Festival was held from Aug 15th-18th in Bethel, NY. It was rock & roll history, became a free concert & introduced the world to many many famous acts.
I was only about 5 miles away, but my mother did not allow me to go, even though some guys were driving a van over from our hotel to bring them some food. She thought I was too young, & didn't want me hanging out with all the Hippies & drugs, LOL...

Some of the acts that appeared were:
Joe Cooker, Jefferson Airplane, The Who, Crosby Stills, Nash, &Young, Joni Mitchel, Jimi Hendrix, Ten Years After, Santana & several others that I can't recall at the moment.
It was 3 days of Love, Peace & Music. If you ever get the chance to see the movie, please watch it as it was well worth it.

The 1994, 25th Anniversary of Woodstock turned into a disaster with fighting, people setting fires: not exactly the same, peaceful easy feeling of the first time around, if you know what I mean <3

I wish Love, Peace and Music were still the goals, but it feels like things have changed. (Ask Bob Dylan.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9EKqQWPjyo)

AlreadyGone95
08-17-2015, 04:52 PM
Time to bring out my dvd of Woodstock. Even though I was still over a quarter of a century away from being born, I love watching the festival(minus the storms and rain). I have a special 4 disc dvd of the festival(includes bonus performances and interviews). I believe that Woodstock was either the first or second gig CSNY did.

I agree with the sentiment of "peace, love, and music"

Topkat
08-17-2015, 05:35 PM
Yes, me too. I will look for my dvd as my boyfriend has never seen it.
I wish things were like that today, but they have sure changed.

I believe it was Crosby who said before they started that it was the second time they ever played in front of people & were scared shitless! LOL
Neil Young was there but didn't even want to appear on camera, so it looks like he isn't there. On the album, he sings a song called "Sea of Madness" which is really good, so we know he was really there.