PDA

View Full Version : Celebration of "Building the Perfect Beast"

Ive always been a dreamer
11-01-2009, 11:20 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUILDING THE PERFECT BEAST!!!

Wow - it doesn't seem possible, but this album, which includes the stupendous 'The Boys of Summer' turns 25 today. I'm working on a review that I will, hopefully, finish and post today. Just been so much happening around here lately that it makes it hard to keep up. :wink:

eaglesvet
11-01-2009, 05:57 PM
"The Boys of Summer" still brings back such memories of what was going on in life 25 :fear: years ago :partytime:...what a great song!

sodascouts
11-02-2009, 02:06 AM
I can't remember when I bought this CD - it was several years ago, before I was a hardcore Eagles fan. Maybe it's because I've had it the longest and have listened to it the most, but it's my favorite of all of Don's solo albums. I like almost every song on it.

The Boys of Summer - what can you say about this song? It's amazing. There's something about the way he goes from a contemplative "Nobody on the road" vocal to the suddenly urgent, impassioned "But I can see you..." that carries you along emotionally with the singer. The "Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac" is a very effective symbolism of the generation who turned from protesting to profiteering in the space of a decade. This song is almost emblematic and to this day brings with it vivid associations of not only the time it was released, but any time that one looks back upon wistfully.

You Can't Make Love - I like this song. It's laid back with a catchy tag line and clever lyrics. It doesn't hurt that Lindsey Buckingham sings backing vocals on the chorus.

Man with a Mission - I like the way he sings "Drop-dead (drop dead) looks" and "Where's the party/where's the party." The title line is kind of catchy. I like nothing else about this song. Some of it, in fact, is freaking annoying. SKIP.

You're Not Drinking Enough - I love the wry humor of this song as it details the depression of a guy who's just been dumped trying to find comfort at the bottom of a bottle. I think my favorite line is "She passed on your passion" but there are several clever lyrics that make the song more than just your regular country blues. I really like it.

Not Enough Love in the World - my favorite song on the album after Boys of Summer. Great melody, with interesting progressions; very well put together. My favorite part is "I was either standing in your shadow or blocking your light" - terrific lyric, and that whole musical segment leads perfectly into the title line. His voice sound so aching here as well... love it.

Building the Perfect Beast - the worst song on the album. Why it's the album track is mystifying to me, but maybe it has some kind of personal meaning to Henley. Regardless, this is another one that gets skipped regularly. Don's vocal is unimpressive here, sometimes sounding almost screeching. The "building, building" chant sounds like it was sampled from some kind of sci fi movie. So do all the weird, dated, electronic sound effects. Maybe that was the idea? Futuristic horror? It's certainly not any fun to listen to, though. One thing redeems this song for me: very clever lyrics. One of his funniest lines is in this song: "Turn us all into Methuselah - but where are we gonna park?" What an original and hilarious way to comment on the dangers of out-of-control technology and how short-sighted and self-centered people can be.

All She Wants to Do Is Dance - another popular song. I like it, but not as well as some; still, it's catchy and has a good beat.

A Month of Sundays - I find this song very moving, not only because of the lyrics but because of Don's heartfelt vocal, highlighted by the understated instrumentation. It's the only song he's released that he's written with no collaborator, and it comes across as very personal. The lyrics effectively paint an image of the aging farmer with the world changing around him. Don really pours himself into it and I find it to be quite affecting.

Sunset Grill - I find this song to be a bit overrated - maybe it's just been overplayed - but I was glad when they dropped it from the Eagles show. That said, I do still like it. It's another song with a good beat and a catchy tune, and it has interesting lyrics. The line "These days a man makes you something, and you never see his face" often occurs to me when I'm thinking about the depersonalization of mass-production. The bridge "Don't worry girl" reminds me a bit of the attitude of Springsteen's "Born to Run." Good tune overall.

Drivin' with Your Eyes Closed - The first time I heard this song, I have to admit, I thought it was kind of lame. The intro is a bit overlong and the whole French guy thing... eh. The insistent synthesizer is also a bit overdone and the "talk, talk, talk" chant at the end doesn't really work. However, it grew on me, mainly because of the catchiness of the chorus: "You're drivin' with your eyes closed, and you're gonna hit something... but that's the way it goes." It's another lyric that sometimes occurs to me in relevant contexts. lol

Land of the Living - This song drags a bit at times, but overall I like the melody. His vocal is bluesy and I love the way he sings "You came and pulled me through, baby." The chorus "I want to stay in the land of the living, I want to stay here... with you" is catchy and gets stuck in your head. I also find the line "Considering the choices... I want to stay in the land of the living" both amusing and insightful - when you put it that way, it really does make it clear why you shouldn't just give up on life and love.

Freypower
11-02-2009, 02:16 AM
Soda, you have made some good points about this album, but it is my least favourite Henley album, mainly because Side 2 is in my opinion not very strong, with the exception of A Month Of Sundays, and Man With A Mission is a throwaway. I do like You're Not Drinking Enough & You Can't Make Love more than I used to, but overall the incessant synthesizers throughout get on my nerves. As for Not Enough Love In The World, I know many people love this, but I can take it or leave it. I am surprised you say its your favourite, because your review doesn't come across that way.

Koala
11-02-2009, 02:25 AM
WOW, this album is already 25 years old, unbelievable!
Boys of Summer was the first song from this album that I knew, it is no surprise because for a while it was running constantly on the radio or on MTV!
Beside Boys of Summer are Not Enough Love in the World, You're Not Drinking Enough, All She Wants to Do Is Dance and Drivin' with Your Eyes Closed my favorites on this album, the only song that I do not really like is Building the Perfect Beast I do not exactly know why but I just don´t like it.

sodascouts
11-02-2009, 02:27 AM
I am surprised you say its your favourite, because your review doesn't come across that way.

I like it better than The End of the Innocence because while EOTI has some incredible highs, it also has some really low lows. Inside Job has some good songs but no songs that I consider truly standout tracks, and some of its songs are so unremarkable I'm hard-pressed to remember how they go. I Can't Stand Still has great ballads, but some of its other tracks are not so hot. Overall, this album has the fewest weak tracks and it has some terrific highlights, so it's my favorite.

TimothyBFan
11-02-2009, 08:25 AM
Are you kidding me?-25 years! Ouch!! I just had this on the turntable a couple weeks ago (my original copy never the less!). Love it. What I remember most about it is that life around me stopped every time the videos for BOS and ASWTDID came on MTV (which they did very often and which was on in my apartment 24 hours a day!). I also remember finding out that so many people had a part in this album such as Lindsey Buckingham, Belinda Carlisle (I liked her back then:eyebrow:), Steve Porcaro, JD and Waddy.

My faves off the album are probably about like most peoples...
Boys Of Summer
All She Wants To Do Is Dance
Sunset Grill
Not Enough Love In The World
Driving With Your Eyes Closed

One more note--I remember getting the single of BOS and realizing the B side, Month Of Sundays (I just had to look that up because I couldn't remember what it was :hilarious:) wasn't on my album. I went to the record store and checked out the cassette and found it there so had to buy it. Still have it also. From what I understand, it is on the cd versions also. Why I wonder, do they do that?

sodascouts
11-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Perhaps it was a space/time issue - cassettes and CDs can hold more minutes of music than an LP. I know that was why Fleetwood Mac's Silver Springs got left off of Rumours but put on a later CD.... not enough space for it on the vinyl.

Maleah
11-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Perhaps it was a space/time issue - cassettes and CDs can hold more minutes of music than an LP. I know that was why Fleetwood Mac's Silver Springs got left off of Rumours but put on a later CD.... not enough space for it on the vinyl.

That's a shame! My favorite song of theirs!

11-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Well, sorry I'm a bit late with this. I had most of this review written, but never got a chance to post it on the anniversary date of the album. To me, Building the Perfect Beast is one of the most uneven albums that I can think of. It has some moments of true brilliance and, of course, contains the masterpiece - The Boys of Summer. But for every exceptional song on the album, there is, unfortunately, an equally really bad song. For most of the songs on this album, I either love them or dislike them. This is the only album that I have reviewed in which I have rated any songs a ‘2’ using the scale below.

I Love It (5)

The Boys of Summer (5+) – This is simply one of the best songs ever – superb in every way. After 25 years, it is still as masterful as it was when it was first released.

All She Wants To Do Is Dance (5) – I still love this song. To me, it is just another one of those songs that once it gets into my head, I can’t get it out. Love everything about it.

Not Enough Love In the World (5) – Another one that I think is a great song. I just love it when Don sings “I was either standing in your shadow or blocking your light” – what a great line. Now, I quoted this line in my review before I read Soda’s comments. It’s funny that we both thought these lyrics were noteworthy.

Sunset Grill (5) – This is another song that I really enjoy. Although I am glad the Eagles dropped this from their live shows, I think it is a great Henley solo song – great lyrics, music, melody, and vocals. (And OBTW – great burgers, too). :grin:

I Really Like It (4)

Drivin’ With Your Eyes Closed (4) – I really love the beat of this song and the lyrics are great. I especially love the lines “You Yankees are so silly about matters of the heart; Don't you know that women are the only works of art”. I even find all of the “talk, talk” repetition at the end to be entertaining.

You Can’t Make Love (4) – Even Don’s jaded views on love don’t kill this song for me. :wink: I think this is a clever and catchy tune with great music.

I Like It (3)

You’re Not Drinking Enough (3) – While this is far from Mr. Henley’s best work, the song is still likeable. I appreciate the humor, but really could do without all of the “ay-yi-yi-yi’s” at the end.

Meh (2)

A Month of Sundays (2) – Now here’s where it really starts to get ugly. I know a lot of people like this song, but it just doesn’t work at all for me. I find the music and melody to be terribly mundane, monotonous, repetitious, and bland. Do I need any more adjectives here to get my point across? :wink:

Land of the Living (2) – Another song that just leaves me cold. I just don’t care for the music, melody, or vocals.

Man With a Mission (2) – I’m sorry, but this song is just bad. It sounds like it’s supposed to be ‘50’s sock hop music, but I can only say I’m sure glad Don was too young to be a 50’s rock star cause he sure sounds better doing the Eagles style of music.

Building the Perfect Beast (2) – This is without question the worst song Don has ever recorded, IMHO. Honestly, I don’t like much of anything about it. Every time I hear it, it leaves me with only one thought – “What was he thinking?” I actually considered rating this as a ‘1’. :laugh:

key:
5 - I love it
4 - I really like it
3 - I like it
2 - meh
1 – yikes

Troubadour
11-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Happy Birthday, Building The Perfect Beast!

I've loved reading the reviews. My favourite songs on this album are Boys of Summer and Not Enough Love In The World, closely followed by Sunset Grill, A Month Of Sundays and You're Not Drinking Enough. I also like You Can't Make Love. The others I can take or leave.

Building The Perfect Beast definitely sounds very '80s now, but to have Boys Of Summer, Sunset Grill and Not Enough Love on one album is pretty impressive. I just love Don's voice on Not Enough Love In The World. It's so sweet, and I adore the whole vibe of the song. I love the lyrics already quoted by Dreamer and Soda, but this part always stands out to me, too: "Sometimes it's so hard to smile, for the world, for the camera, and still have something left..." It's very Don! The lines that follow are probably my favourites in the song. "You don't have to prove nothin' to nobody - just take good care of yourself." It also has some great bits in it - like the "oh darlin'" part, and the verse that begins "I'm not easy to live with..." (Can you tell I love it?)

Overall, I'd say this is a great album, with some real high points - songs that have become embedded in Don/Eagles history. Some songs are a little too '80s in sound for me, and will never be anything more than fillerish album tracks... but there's none that I actively dislike. I just think Don was experimenting and going with the 'scene' with some songs, and to me, it's not entirely 'him'. Songs like Boys of Summer, Sunset Grill and Not Enough Love, however, still manage to be funky and 'of their time', whilst being true Henley, and showcasing his poetic lyrical abilities and sharp political/societal observations. That's enough for me to love this album.

sodascouts
01-20-2010, 08:45 PM
There's a Henley interview this week celebrating the 25th Anniversary of this album on In the Studio with Redbeard, but I'm not sure if there's anything new to it. However, there is a cute story on the site in the right sidebar regarding Henley and Sheryl Crow:

http://www.inthestudio.net/

AzEaglesFan
08-05-2010, 02:43 AM
Besides the 2 Glenn Frey vinyl records I also found Building the Perfect Beast CD. They had a couple of other Don CDs but I have both or them already so I didn't get them. No vinyl Don records.

sodascouts
11-01-2010, 02:23 AM
Happy birthday to Building the Perfect Beast, my favorite of Don's solo albums!

:birthday:

11-01-2010, 09:06 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY BUILDING THE PERFECT BREAST!!!

:oops: I think that's supposed to be BEAST - I kinda got mixed up after reading about this is another thread. I love the sentiment that Soda expressed about Building the Perfect Breast being about Don paying homage to reconstructive surgery! :lol:

Anyway, of course, this is the album that contains the magnificent "The Boys of Summer". Unfortunately, it also contains the title track, which is one of Don's worst songs ever, IMHO. As I said previously in this thread, the whole album is full of ups and downs. Hmmm - on second thought maybe Don was thinking of boobs when he released it. :wink: In any event, the album is way too uneven for me to call it a favorite. However, I like most of it nonetheless.

Stars
02-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Speaking of "Building the Perfect Beast", one of our library patrons returned his personal copy of the CD to the library recently. I was pleased to be the one to call him up and let him know that he left his Don Henley CD in our book drop, and that he could come by when he had a chance and pick it up! I remember saying to my co-workers, "Oh, I'll give him a call", just so I could mention Don's name on his answering machine!:hilarious:

02-27-2011, 02:26 PM
I'd have done exactly the same thing, Carla. :thumbsup:

whitcap
11-01-2011, 01:00 AM
Bringing this thread forward for the 27th anniversary!

Here's my ranking of the songs from favorite to least favorite:

1. Driving With Your Eyes Closed
2. Land of the Living
3. All She Wants to do is Dance
4. A Month of Sundays
5. Sunset Grill
6. Not Enough Love in the World
7. You Can’t Make Love
8. You’re Not Drinking Enough
9. The Boys of Summer
10. Man with a Mission
11. Building the Perfect Beast

sodascouts
11-01-2011, 01:07 AM
Happy Birthday to the Perfect Beast! ;)

My ranking:

1. Boys of Summer
2. Not Enough Love in the World
3. You Can't Make Love
4. All She Wants to Do Is Dance
5. You're Not Drinking Enough
6. Sunset Grill
7, A Month of Sundays
8. Land of the Living
9. Driving With Your Eyes Closed
10. Building the Perfect Beast
11. Man with a Mission

WalshFan88
11-01-2011, 04:23 AM
Happy Birthday to Building the Perfect Beast!

I'll do my rankings later but I'll just say that Boys of Summer is my favorite Don Henley solo song and All She Wants To Do Is Dance is my third favorite Henley solo song. Dirty Laundry from "I Can't Stand Still" is my second favorite Henley solo song.

Brooke
11-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Wow, wc! TBOS clear down there at #9? :shock:

My list:

1. Boys of Summer
2. Not Enough Love In The World
3. All She Wants To Do Is Dance
4. You Can't Make Love
5. Sunset Grill
6. You're Not Drinking Enough
7. A Month of Sundays
8. Land of the Living
10.Building the Perfect Beast
11.Man With A Mission

The last four could be interchangeable. :ack:

Freypower
11-01-2011, 04:14 PM
This is my least favourite Henley album.

1. The Boys Of Summer
2. A Month Of Sundays
3. You're Not Drinking Enough
4. All She Wants To Do Is Dance
5. Sunset Grill
6. You Can't Make Love
7. Not Enough Love In The World
8. Man With A Mission
9. Land Of The Living
10. Driving With Your Eyes Closed
11. Building The Perfect Beast

I tend to agree about the last four being interchangeable. MWAM may be a throwaway but at least it rocks somewhat.

Koala
11-03-2011, 01:31 AM
Happy Anniversary Building the Perfect Beast!

Here my list:

1. Boys of Summer
2. Not Enough Love In The World
3. You Can't Make Love
4. All She Wants To Do Is Dance
5. You're Not Drinking Enough
6. Sunset Grill
7. A Month of Sundays
8. Land of the Living
11.Man With A Mission

11-03-2011, 10:37 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO BUILDING THE PERFECT BEAST!

As I said in another thread, I've got some catching up to do since I've been away. I'll compile the results of these list at the end of the celebration week as I've been doing for other albums. Here is my list ...

1. The Boys of Summer
2. All She Wants To Do Is Dance
3. Not Enough Love In the World
4. Sunset Grill
5. Drivin’ With Your Eyes Closed
6. You Can’t Make Love
7. You’re Not Drinking Enough
8. A Month of Sundays
9. Land of the Living
10. Man With a Mission

Maleah
11-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Oooooo, this is tough! I think I'd have to go with....

1. The Boys of Summer
2. All She Wants To Do Is Dance
3. Not Enough Love In the World
4. Sunset Grill
5. Drivin’ With Your Eyes Closed
6. A Month of Sundays
7. You’re Not Drinking Enough
8. You Can’t Make Love
9. Land of the Living
10. Man With a Mission

11-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Okay - It's time to post the results of our poll for the Building the Perfect Beast album. For me, this went pretty much as I expected. So, here's the way the votes went ...

1. The Boys of Summer - 69 points
2. All She Wants To Do Is Dance - 62 points
3. Not Enough Love In the World - 59 points
4. Sunset Grill - 49 points
5. You Can't Make Love - 47 points
6. You're Not Drinking Enough - 43 points (tie for 6th & 7th place)
7. A Month of Sundays - 43 points (tie for 6th & 7th place)
8. Driving With Your Eyes Closed - 36 points
9. Land of the Living - 31 points
10. Man With a Mission - 13 points
11. Building the Perfect Beast - 10 points

So congratulations to The Boys of Summer as the top vote getter.

Thanks to those who participated. As I said earlier, if anyone else wants to still post their list, it's not too late. Go right ahead - I'll update the standings if this happens.

EaglesKiwi
11-12-2011, 05:09 AM
Happy Anniversary to Building the Perfect Beast - I love this album!

My list:

1. A Month of Sundays
2. Boys of Summer
3. All She Wants To Do Is Dance
4. Not Enough Love In The World
5. Sunset Grill
6. You Can't Make Love
7. You're Not Drinking Enough
8. Land of the Living
11.Man With A Mission

11-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Okay - I'm updating the results to include EaglesKiwi's list. Not much change other than A Month of Sundays moves up a couple of knotches. So, here's the new results ...

1. The Boys of Summer - 79 points
2. All She Wants To Do Is Dance - 71 points
3. Not Enough Love In the World - 67 points
4. Sunset Grill - 56 points
5. A Month of Sundays - 54 points
6. You Can't Make Love - 53 points
7. You're Not Drinking Enough - 48 points
8. Driving With Your Eyes Closed - 39 points
9. Land of the Living - 35 points
10. Man With a Mission - 14 points
11. Building the Perfect Beast - 12 points

sodascouts
11-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Reviving this thread to once again wish Building the Perfect Beast a happy birthday! It remains my favorite of Don's albums.

Freypower
11-01-2012, 06:08 PM
And my least favourite! Far too over-produced & a lot of these songs just don't do it for me.

EaglesKiwi
11-03-2012, 05:53 AM
After another year of listening to the album (I only got it about midway through last year) - I still love it. :)

zeldabjr
11-03-2012, 01:56 PM
I've never had this CD...but I just ordered it yesterday

11-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Well this is belated, but anyway ...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO BUILDING THE PERFECT BEAST!!!

This is definitely not my favorite of Don's solo albums but it does have my favorite solo song on it ... of course - the awesomeness that is The Boys of Summer.

EaglesKiwi
11-04-2012, 04:01 AM
I have been thinking about some of the comments on the album, particularly the ones about the synthesizers and the "80s feel" to the album. Being a realatively "fresh" listener, I can't say I've particularly noticed either one... but then again, I was a teenager in the 80s when I first really started listening to music, so maybe it just seems normal to me! :hilarious:

WalshFan88
11-05-2012, 05:59 AM
Really like this one. It has two out of three of my favorite Don songs (That being TBOS and ASWTDID). The other one being Dirty Laundry from I Can't Stand Still.

Houston Debutante
11-18-2012, 02:53 PM
I was just a kid when this came out but I love it. It introduced me to Don Henley who is my favorite singer EVER.

Troubadour
11-18-2012, 04:31 PM
I love this album. It has classics like Boys of Summer and Sunset Grill, alongside funky songs like All She Wants To Do Is Dance and sweet ballads like A Month of Sundays. Not Enough Love In The World is one of my favourites - it just brings a smile to my face when I hear it, and I adore the lyrics. Don's voice is gorgeous and I, of course, love Danny Kortchmar's influence on this album.

zeldabjr
11-18-2012, 05:36 PM
I didn't have this CD until recently...and I'm lovin' it...big surprise!

Welcome to the border Sara...hope you enjoy your time here!

Houston Debutante
11-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Thank you. This looks like my kind of place.

Witchy Woman
11-19-2012, 01:57 PM
I was just a kid when this came out but I love it. It introduced me to Don Henley who is my favorite singer EVER.

I like you already !!

Houston Debutante
11-19-2012, 04:01 PM
I like you already !!
It looks like we think alike. ;)

On the car to work today I heard Walkaway Joe and when Don comes in, I just melt a little. His voice, it just makes me tremble, even though he doesn't sing very much of the song.

I would recognize his voice anywhere. I will be walking in a grocery store or something and stop dead whenever I hear that voice over the speakers. He's so amazing. There is no one else on his level in my mind. I am happy to have found some like-minded people.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Well, Sara, out of all the singers/songwriters/musicians there are, Don is my absolute second-favorite. I suppose you can guess who my favorite is. How lucky am I, though, that my two favorite are in the same band?

Houston Debutante
11-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Oh yeah, I like Glenn too, and Joe and Tim. I like all of The Eagles. I like the ex Eagles too.

There's just something about Don's voice that puts him over the top for me. The texture of it, the depth of it, the power of it. It's hard to explain, sorry i"m not more eloquent.

I might be coming across as extreme but I'm really very normal, I just love him!

11-19-2012, 09:56 PM
Well HD - you'd have to be REALLY bad to be considered extreme around here! This place is reeking with hardcores. :lol:

Now, I wanted to get back to this album. As I was reading some comments in this thread yesterday, it got me thinking about something. I did an album review earlier in this thread, and basically, my opinion is that this is Don's most uneven album. The songs that are good are incredibly good, but I also think it contains some of Don's weakest solo songs i.e. Land of the Living, Man on a Mission, and Building the Perfect Beast. So just wondering ... am I alone here - how do others feel about this?

Freypower
11-19-2012, 10:33 PM
Well HD - you'd have to be REALLY bad to be considered extreme around here! This place is reeking with hardcores. :lol:

Now, I wanted to get back to this album. As I was reading some comments in this thread yesterday, it got me thinking about something. I did an album review earlier in this thread, and basically, my opinion is that this is Don's most uneven album. The songs that are good are incredibly good, but I also think it contains some of Don's weakest solo songs i.e. Land of the Living, Man on a Mission, and Building the Perfect Beast. So just wondering ... am I alone here - how do others feel about this?

This is what I wrote on Page One of the thread:

Soda, you have made some good points about this album, but it is my least favourite Henley album, mainly because Side 2 is in my opinion not very strong, with the exception of A Month Of Sundays, and Man With A Mission is a throwaway. I do like You're Not Drinking Enough & You Can't Make Love more than I used to, but overall the incessant synthesizers throughout get on my nerves. As for Not Enough Love In The World, I know many people love this, but I can take it or leave it. I am surprised you say its your favourite, because your review doesn't come across that way.

You & I really only disagree on A Month Of Sundays, which is probably in my Top 5 Henley songs, and Driving With Your Eyes Closed, which I find extremely annoying. I probably think about that song the way some people feel about The Disco Strangler. Like The End Of The Innocence, this album goes from one extreme to another in how I rate the songs.

sodascouts
11-20-2012, 03:19 AM
You're definitely not extreme around here, Sara!

As for unevenness, I find this album to be less uneven than EOTI. That has the highest of highs and the lowest of lows indeed.

Freypower
11-20-2012, 04:28 PM
In my opinion EOTI has one low, Shangri-La, & everything is else of pretty high quality. That cannot be said of BTPB for me.

Houston Debutante
11-20-2012, 09:43 PM
I love both albums but this one has a slight edge for me.

11-21-2012, 01:13 AM
In my opinion EOTI has one low, Shangri-La, & everything is else of pretty high quality. That cannot be said of BTPB for me.

ITA with you here, FP. BTPB has the crowning achievement of his solo career, the incredible The Boys of Summer, along with the wonderful All She Wants To Do Is Dance, Not Enough Love In the World, and Sunset Grill. But then, it also has what I think are some of the weakest songs in Don's solo catalog in Land of the Living, Man on a Mission, and ill-conceived title track.

Houston Debutante
11-26-2012, 04:20 PM
All of the songs on the album aren't up to the level of The Boys Of Summer but I like all of them. Man With A Mission is funny and energetic. Land Of The Living has a good message.

The song Building The Perfect Beast has got some weird parts, ok a lot of weird parts (haha), but the lyrics are very intelligent. I really admire Don's intelligence and concern about social issues, it's part of why I'm a big fan. Building The Perfect Beast is original and smart and I think a brave departure for Don from what people would expect.

sodascouts
11-01-2013, 02:46 AM
Once again, it's the anniversary of the release of Building the Perfect Beast - my favorite of Don's solo albums.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUILDING THE PERFECT BEAST!

VAisForEagleLovers
11-01-2013, 07:37 AM
It's my second favorite only because HOTM is on Innocence, but I do love this CD. I haven't listened to it in a while, I tend to shuffle by artist and leave the individual albums alone, but Boys of Summer will sound good on the way to work.

shunlvswx
11-01-2013, 07:53 AM
I didn't like BOS for years, but it has grown on me.

They played ASWTDID a lot on my radio station along with DL. I think those are my favorite songs along with SG.

Happy 29th Birthday, BTPB. Oh my. I didn't know that album been out that long. Almost 30 years.

Houston Debutante
11-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Love this album, can't believe it's almost 30 years old either. It came out right when I was first getting into rock music, Don has been a part of my life pretty much ever since. Boys Of Summer was one of the first videos I ever saw ~ back when MTV played videos. Happy birthday to a great album!

Brooke
11-01-2013, 04:36 PM
Wow, can't believe it's 29 years old either!

Love BOS, ASWTDIS, and SG!

11-02-2013, 12:59 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY BUILDING THE PERFECT BEAST!!!

Sorry I missed this yesterday, but better late than never as we always say. As I've said many times before in this thread, while this isn't my favorite of Don's solo albums, it contains the incomparable The Boys of Summer along with ASWTDID, NELITW, and Sunset Grill, so it definitely has many redeeming qualities. :thumbsup:

HenleyFan1971
11-02-2013, 01:32 PM
I have every solo CD Don has made I listen to them all the time even have them on my iphone and CD for my car I am a addict lol

Troubadour
11-02-2013, 08:19 PM
Happy Birthday, Building the Perfect Beast!

sodascouts
11-01-2014, 11:27 AM
Building the Perfect Beast turns 30 today!!

WalshFan88
11-01-2014, 11:38 AM
My favorite Henley solo album...

I prefer the more pop rock side of Henley's solo stuff to the acoustic stuff with the exception of THOTM. I love TBOS and ASWTDID from this album and Dirty Laundry from the first album.

L101
11-01-2014, 04:46 PM
I got this in my email during the week to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Building the Perfect Beast - an In the Studio with Redbeard radio interview with Don and Danny Kortchmar (http://www.inthestudio.net/redbeards-blog/don-henley-building-perfect-beast-30th-anniversary-don-danny-kortchmar/). Its very funny with Don and Danny being the typical grumpy old men when they are talking about the music of today :grin:

11-02-2014, 12:11 AM
L101, thanks for posting that link. It was a very interesting interview.

And it seems almost impossible that it's been 30 years, but ...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO BUILDING THE PERFECT BEAST AND THE INCOMPARABLE THE BOYS OF SUMMER!!!

DivineDon
11-02-2014, 11:33 AM
I got this in my email during the week to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Building the Perfect Beast - an In the Studio with Redbeard radio interview with Don and Danny Kortchmar (http://www.inthestudio.net/redbeards-blog/don-henley-building-perfect-beast-30th-anniversary-don-danny-kortchmar/). Its very funny with Don and Danny being the typical grumpy old men when they are talking about the music of today :grin:

Thanks Lacken, you know I love anything Don related :thumbsup:

Zanny Kingston
11-02-2014, 12:52 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO BUILDING THE PERFECT BEAST!

30 Years wow!

BOS is one of my absolute favorite songs!

Houston Debutante
11-07-2014, 09:26 PM
Love this album, wow I cannot believe it's 30 years old!!!

shunlvswx
11-19-2014, 09:00 AM
I think I read somewhere that BTPB release date is actually today. So happy 30th Birthday to Building the Perfect Beast.

My favorites are The Boys OF Summer, Sunset Grill, All She Wants To Do Is Dance, and A Month Of Sundays. This is not really my album of Don's, but I have a few favorites.

Freypower
11-19-2014, 06:00 PM
I think I read somewhere that BTPB release date is actually today. So happy 30th Birthday to Building the Perfect Beast.

My favorites are The Boys OF Summer, Sunset Grill, All She Wants To Do Is Dance, and A Month Of Sundays. This is not really my album of Don's, but I have a few favorites.

Wikipedia does say November 19, 1984, so I wonder where the release date of November 2 used in this thread comes from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Building_the_Perfect_Beast

shunlvswx
11-19-2014, 06:12 PM
That's where I saw it at and I also saw it on facebook early this month talking about BTPB being 30 this month.

sodascouts
11-20-2014, 10:18 PM
I can't remember where I got the other date from. Wikipedia is user-edited and not always accurate, so I won't change it based on that. if there is a more reliable source that gives the date as Nov. 19, I'll change it.

Freypower
11-20-2014, 11:06 PM
There are several mentions of this date in Google Search, whereas I saw no mention of November 2. This, for instance (scroll down to the 'shocked' entry.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/building-the-perfect-beast/id35405850

This is from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Building-The-Perfect-Beast-Henley/dp/B001NYO28I

sodascouts
11-21-2014, 12:43 AM
I had it listed as November 1, not November 2, but at any rate I'm thinking I should change it now!

shunlvswx
11-19-2015, 12:18 PM
Happy 31st Birthday to Building the Perfect Beast.

I think this is my least favorite album. Other than the songs I know, I don't like some of the songs.

sodascouts
11-19-2015, 11:03 PM
Meanwhile, I love it!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BTPB!

shunlvswx
11-19-2016, 09:34 PM
Happy 32nd Birthday to BTPB. At first I didn't like this album and the album has grown on me a lot. Some of the unknown songs I started to like.

I also hear BTPB, Driving With Your Eyes, You Can't Make Love, You're Not Drinking Enough and Land of the Living a lot on my customize Don Henley Radio station on IHeart Radio. So I basically hear a lot of the songs from the album throughout the week.

Jonny Come Lately
11-20-2016, 01:34 PM
Happy 32nd birthday to Building The Perfect Beast! :birthday: The album that gave us one of Don's greatest and most iconic solo tunes, The Boys Of Summer.

Unfortunately (and I don't want to rain on the parade), I personally think the album itself is a somewhat less than perfect beast - it's one of the most uneven albums I've ever heard. It has a couple of absolutely brilliant songs that are as good as anything Don has ever done - The Boys of Summer and also the beautiful and heartfelt A Month Of Sundays. I also like Not Enough Love In The World and You're Not Drinking Enough a lot. I'm not the biggest fan of All She Wants To Do Is Dance on here, and I feel there's something that prevents Sunset Grill from reaching the heights it should do (I don't know why I feel this - I can't quite put my finger on it), but both are still good songs by all means. Unfortunately, these share a record with substandard songs like Man On A Mission, Driving With Your Eyes Closed and the title track. While I commend Don for writing a song about the perils of genetic modification (far from an obvious topic cover to compared to other social/political themes), the song itself is not very good, and to make matters worse it sounds appallingly dated. The 'building, building' chants actually make me laugh, and not in a good way! You Can't Make Love is okay, although it seems underwhelming after Boys of Summer. Land of the Living is meh, it's not terrible but it doesn't really do anything for me.

Having said this, given the choice between an album like BTPB which I find has a few stinkers but also some really top notch highlights, and an album is just mediocre for the majority of its runtime, I'd take the uneven one! I also really enjoyed hearing Don play Sunset Grill and especially BOS live this summer.

shunlvswx
11-19-2017, 10:33 PM
Happy 33rd Birthday to Building The Perfect Beast. One of my favorite albums. This album has really grown on me. I use to hate majority of the album and skip a lot of songs. Now I love those songs.

WalshFan88
11-19-2017, 11:14 PM
Great album...

I wish Dirty Laundry was on this album because if it was, all of my favorite Don solo songs would be on one album.

The Boys Of Summer, All She Wants To Do Is Dance, and Dirty Laundry are my favorite Don solo songs.

shunlvswx
11-19-2018, 01:43 PM
Happy 34th Birthday to Building the Perfect Beast.

A great album. A lot of great artists and musicians on this album. I still can't believe Lindsey sang and played on this album.

11-19-2018, 02:21 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO BUILDING THE PERFECT BEAST!!!

To repeat what I've said earlier in this thread, this is one of the most uneven albums of all time to me. I adore some of it, but for every exceptional song on the album, there is, unfortunately, an equally really bad song that I dislike. To me, the album has the best song of Don's solo career - the brilliant masterpiece, The Boys of Summer and the worst, Building the Perfect Beast. Go figure!!! :shrug: :headscratch: :shock:

shunlvswx
11-19-2018, 02:41 PM
I don't like BTPB that much, but I don't hate it. Now I don't like Man With a Mission and Land of the Living.

Delilah
11-20-2018, 05:16 PM
Late for this but anyway,

Happy 34th Anniversary, Building the Perfect Beast!

It’s not my favorite Henley album but it’s a great one nevertheless. And I just found a good deal on a West German target cd which should arrive next week. Great timing with its Anniversary.

This is from a 1984 review that was re-published in 2009. It provides an interesting glimpse into Don’s perspective at the time as well as his fairly low profile. Also an insightful comment about “Sunset Grill” -

“Sunset Grill,” though is the album’s masterpiece. It’s one of those recordings that, like Hendrix’s “Purple Haze” or Dylan’s “Subterranean Homesick Blues,” captures the spirit of the times so perfectly that it resonates with it and becomes one with what it’s trying to describe. Among other things, “Sunset Grill” is about “The worth ethic in America today and how everybody seems to want the most possible money in the quickest amount of time with the least possible effort.” It’s also about the spreading “franchise” mentality, which is creating a non-thinking automaton class of individuals who needn’t create or take responsibility.

Read more at https://www.analogplanet.com/content/don-henley-finds-his-thrill-sunset-grill-0#LB4JwFPxUToeEj7g.99

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/don-henley-finds-his-thrill-sunset-grill-0

sodascouts
11-29-2018, 09:38 AM
I still can't believe Lindsey sang and played on this album.

I wonder how that came about. Obviously Lindsey didn't hold a grudge about the whole Stevie thing anymore lol.

“Sunset Grill,” though is the album’s masterpiece. It’s one of those recordings that, like Hendrix’s “Purple Haze” or Dylan’s “Subterranean Homesick Blues,” captures the spirit of the times so perfectly that it resonates with it and becomes one with what it’s trying to describe. Among other things, “Sunset Grill” is about “The worth ethic in America today and how everybody seems to want the most possible money in the quickest amount of time with the least possible effort.” It’s also about the spreading “franchise” mentality, which is creating a non-thinking automaton class of individuals who needn’t create or take responsibility."

Read more at https://www.analogplanet.com/content...FPxUToeEj7g.99 (https://www.analogplanet.com/content/don-henley-finds-his-thrill-sunset-grill-0#LB4JwFPxUToeEj7g.99)

I see the "how can I get a passing grade with the least possible effort" mentality in a lot of my students, sadly, as finals week approaches!

As for the franchise aspect, I can see the sadness about the loss of local stores, but I honestly don't clearly see the connection between franchising, which is more about that loss of individual local identity to a faceless corporate mentality, and the idea of not taking responsibility for one's actions.

11-29-2018, 12:56 PM
Yeah - I can't agree with that analysis of Sunset Grill and while I do think it's a really good song, the album's 'masterpiece' is The Boys of Summer, IMHO.

shunlvswx
11-19-2019, 10:32 AM
Happy 35th Birthday to Building the Perfect Beast album. One of my favorites. A lot of songs have grown me now.

sodascouts
11-19-2019, 10:38 PM
Happy birthday to my fave Don Henley album! The first one I owned!

11-20-2019, 07:50 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO BUILDING THE PERFECT BEAST!

Not my favorite of Don's solo albums by far. I think this is one of the most uneven albums I've ever listened to - There is the magnificent masterpiece 'The Boys of Summer', as well as other great songs like 'All She Wants To Do is Dance' and 'Sunset Grill'. On the other end of the spectrum are probably some of the worst songs Don ever recorded like 'Building the Perfect Beast', 'Man with a Mission' , and 'Land of the Living'. Go figure! :headscratch:

The bottom line is I'm a huge fan of half of this album. I think it should have been named Building the Perfect Bi-Polar Beast. :grin:

groupie2686
11-22-2019, 03:59 PM
Happy belated anniversary to Building the Perfect Beast! I agree it's an uneven album...I love The Boys of Summer, but there is a lot of filler, and the title song is atrocious (imo).

I was reading through old posts and I had no idea Lindsey Buckingham played on this album!

sodascouts
11-23-2019, 01:04 PM
I think this is one of the most uneven albums I've ever listened to - There is the magnificent masterpiece 'The Boys of Summer', as well as other great songs like 'All She Wants To Do is Dance' and 'Sunset Grill'. On the other end of the spectrum are probably some of the worst songs Don ever recorded like 'Building the Perfect Beast', 'Man with a Mission' , and 'Land of the Living'. Go figure! :headscratch:

Here's the thing about "Man with a Mission." It is probably Don's most shallow song. The vocal sounds a bit rough around the edges. But dang, it is CATCHY. It is fun to listen to. That beat starts hard and fast, and doesn't it let up until the end.

Just lighten up and rock along with the beat - bop your head, tap your foot - and who knows, maybe you'll enjoy it! 'Cause I do.

Well-a-well-a-well-a-well-a...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcI4NgDWYho

shunlvswx
02-26-2020, 05:54 PM
Happy Belated 34th Anniversary of Don winning Best Rock Vocal Performance at the Grammys for The Boys Of Summer.

02-27-2020, 10:21 PM
Yep - Gotta give The Boys of Summer some kudos. Don definitely deserved the grammy for this amazing song. It should have also won song of the year and record of the year, IMHO.

shunlvswx
02-28-2020, 08:31 AM
Yep - Gotta give The Boys of Summer some kudos. Don definitely deserved the grammy for this amazing song. It should have also won song of the year and record of the year, IMHO.

True, but it was against We Are The World and to the Grammys it was better any song that was nominated with it.

shunlvswx
11-19-2020, 11:59 AM
Happy 36th Birthday to Building the Perfect Beast.

11-21-2020, 12:44 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY BUILDING THE PERFECT BEAST!!!

Sorry I'm late, but better late than never as we always say.

shunlvswx
11-19-2021, 09:08 PM
Happy 37th Birthday to Building the Perfect Beast.

I still don’t know why no interviewers have ever asked about asking Lindsey to play on his album. If I had interviewed Don, that’s one question I would love to know.

Delilah
02-05-2022, 12:50 AM
Wasn’t sure where to put this, but this is a video where Mike Campbell talks about coming up with the music for “Boys of Summer” and how the song almost didn’t happen. Interesting stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxBYBnPJfGQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxBYBnPJfGQ

02-06-2022, 03:01 PM
Love that, Delilah ... interesting stuff, for sure! :thumbsup:

shunlvswx
11-20-2022, 12:25 AM
Happy 38th Birthday to Building the Perfect Beast. A great album.

I really hate there’s no interview about Don asking Lindsey to be on this album. Nobody has ever ask that that especially their history with a certain singer. Haha I would just love to hear the story about this. Every year I always wonder about this.

FreyFollower
11-24-2022, 02:34 AM
It does make you wonder, doesn't it?:headscratch: Would have loved to have heard that conversation!

shunlvswx
11-20-2023, 12:02 AM
Happy 39th Birthday to Building the Perfect Beast.

11-20-2023, 12:38 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO BUILDING BEAST!!!

My repetitive comments about the unevenness of this album make me sound like a broken record. What would be cool is if I really could break off the songs that I think are really bad. I often refer to the album as Building the Perfect Bi-Polar Beast. On the positive side, the songs that are awesome are REALLY awesome.