PDA

View Full Version : "Life of Illusion" live

GettheLeadonOut!!
11-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Has Joe ever attempted this song with the Eagles? I don't believe so. One of my very favorite Joe solo songs and a classic rock radio staple. Seeing that current setlists are heavy with solo material from all the guys, this song seems like a no brainer for them to attempt.

MikeA
11-04-2009, 02:37 PM
I don't recall Joe performing this with the Eagles. He did do it I am almost certain, when he did his solo concert with Stone Temple Pilot.

It would be a good one though, however, they would probably have to nix Funk #49 or Rocky Mountain Way. I am only assuming that they are doing those two in the LROE tour.

GettheLeadonOut!!
11-04-2009, 04:04 PM
I have no problem with them dumping Funk #49, Rocky Mountain Way or Life's Been Good from the setlists which they've been playing to death for years for this gem (or at least rotate it in).

MikeA
11-04-2009, 04:24 PM
LOI would be a good one to rotate in if they killed one of Joe's "staples". There are some other really good ones too.

Welcome To The Club
Turn To Stone
The Confessor
Meadows
The Bomber

He's had some unheralded Great Ones! I'd like to hear him do just about any of them.

But "the masses" recognize Funk #49, Life's Been Good, and Rocky Mountain Way. I'm sure they want to give them something that they identify with Joe during the Eagle's tour stops.

GettheLeadonOut!!
11-04-2009, 04:53 PM
LOI is pretty recognizable (not as much as the ones you mentioned I suppose). They did play Ordinary Average Guy a few years ago and would love for them to bring back All Night Long.

sodascouts
11-04-2009, 05:05 PM
All Night Long is a hoot and I bet the audiences would respond well to it. They respond so well to Funk 49, though, that it might be a risk. Still, why not shake it up a bit? I personally love Life of Illusion, but I'm not sure if it would be a good fit for the Eagles.

Sadly, it seems Rocky Mountain Way got dropped more often than not on the European leg. Let's hope that's not the case when they start up again.

What would be even better is if they changed the setlist up a bit on the new leg - and by "change it up" I don't mean DROP SONGS!

ETA: Here's an MP3 of him playing it in Dallas in 1981:
http://www.joewalshonline.com/multimedia/MP3/LifeofIllusionDallas81.mp3

EagleLady
11-04-2009, 05:07 PM
I think Life Of Illusion would work, It's one of my favorites by Joe.

GettheLeadonOut!!
11-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks for that soda, and from listening to it I think it would be a superb choice for the Eagles on the next tour (love those mariachi horns!)

sodascouts
11-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Well, the Eagles certainly aren't hurting for horns that could play it!

Freypower
11-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Has Joe ever attempted this song with the Eagles? I don't believe so. One of my very favorite Joe solo songs and a classic rock radio staple. Seeing that current setlists are heavy with solo material from all the guys, this song seems like a no brainer for them to attempt.

Not quite. There are no solo Frey songs at all at the moment.

I like Life Of Illlusion. I would also like to hear them do Rosewood Bitters or Indian Summer, or even At The Station.

MikeA
11-04-2009, 07:08 PM
He did Laundry Night Blues with the James Gang in Las Vegas.

All of those songs mentioned would be fantastic....but I'd say a majority of those attending the concert would not be familiar with them. I think they are looking for "warm fuzzies" at the concerts.

"County Fair" might be a good one. It got a little "air time" back in the day.

Maleah
11-05-2009, 02:28 AM
He did Laundry Night Blues with the James Gang in Las Vegas.

All of those songs mentioned would be fantastic....but I'd say a majority of those attending the concert would not be familiar with them. I think they are looking for "warm fuzzies" at the concerts.

"County Fair" might be a good one. It got a little "air time" back in the day.

The first time I ever heard that song was on the radio last year some time (I think it was last year lol) and I only caught the tail end of it. No singing....just guitar playing. I remember instantly stopping when I heard the guitar. I thought to myself "that HAS to be a Joe song! No one sounds like that." And that was the first time I had ever recognized someone's guitar playing. LOL I used Song ID on my phone to double check and sure enough! I was right! lol So I went and found the song and I loved it! Still do!

Ive always been a dreamer
11-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Life of Illusion is one of my favorite Joe solo songs as well. I was absolutely thrilled when he opened his show with it in Atlantic City in August, 2007. He was sitting on a stool center stage with the spotlight on only him, just as it should have been. But as much as I love it, I don't think the song would be a particularly good fit for an Eagles show. I think the solution is that Joe needs to do more solo shows!!! :wink: :nod:

sodascouts
11-05-2009, 01:43 PM
He sure does need to do some more solo shows. I have never seen a solo show of his and I really want to. At least I got to see the James Gang, but I wanna hear stuff like Pretty Maids All in a Row, Help Me Thru the Night, Indian Summer, and as the thread says, Life of Illusion. What I want to hear most, though, is TURN TO STONE!

MikeA
11-05-2009, 01:48 PM
He sure does need to do some more solo shows. I have never seen a solo show of his and I really want to. At least I got to see the James Gang, but I wanna hear stuff like Pretty Maids All in a Row, Help Me Thru the Night, Indian Summer, and as the thread says, Life of Illusion. What I want to hear most, though, is TURN TO STONE!

He did TTS in that Stone Temple Pilot concert at Hard Rock in Vegas. And, the Eagles did it in the Farewell I tour. Awesome performance and the Eagles did it right!

Here's the opening riff and a few chords of Life Of Illusion. I need to get back to more of Joe's tunes. I've been momentarily diverted to Country/Western by my folks in Arkansas <LOL>

http://mvabercrombie.net/LOI%20Opening%20Riff.mp3

Prettymaid
11-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Good work Mike!

LOI is probably in my top 5 favorite Joe songs. And I agree with some, that Joe needs to do some solo shows. C'mon Joe, let's hear something from you - either that you're going to tour or that you're going to release an album soon! :pray:

RamboIV
11-08-2009, 08:00 AM
We are totally forgetting the one obvious song Joe should return to the set list...

Space Age Whiz Kids

Honestly, how great would that be?

I would also LOVE to hear The Radio Song live. Does anyone know if he actually performed that one live, ever? Even during the Got Any Gum tour?