PDA

View Full Version : Expando and the Eagles

sodascouts
11-05-2009, 01:02 PM
Listening to the Capitol Gold interview with the Eagles again from 2007, Timothy says this in Part 2 (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/multimedia/MP3/interviews/CapitalGold2007/CG2007Part1-2.mp3):

Tim: "I was having trouble finding a second song, actually, for [Long Road Out of Eden]. I presented a few that didn't fly."

I wonder if any of these tracks appear on Expando? I bet so. Any guesses as to which they might have been?

luvthelighthouse
11-05-2009, 01:44 PM
I've actually been thinking about this since Expando came out. I'm sure some songs off the album where presented... and I want to know why Don/Glenn didn't like them... becuase I think they are all great! :hilarious:

Perhaps I Don't Mind... maybe they thought it was about Don?:hilarious: Just keeping it light...

sodascouts
11-05-2009, 01:47 PM
I bet Parachute was one, since so many compare it to Crosby, Stills, and Nash and the Eagles have said before that some of their songs are reminiscent of CSN.

And we gotta remember that just because the Eagles reject something doesn't mean they don't think it's good - it just means that they don't think it's right for an Eagles album.

luvthelighthouse
11-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Personally, w/Glenn's arrangement skills, I bet he could have made several songs Eagle sounding... in all honesty, I could see I Don't Mind, Compassion, Downtime or A Good Day being done by the Eagles. Maybe not w/the current arrangements/sounds, but lyrically, yep, any of those metioned...

Prettymaid
11-05-2009, 02:11 PM
I don't have a lot of time right now, but I can totally hear the "famous Eagles harmony" doing Parachute - and it would be AWESOME!

Freypower
11-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Personally I would have preferred ANY of the Expando tracks to I Don't Want To Hear Any More. I think the Eagles could do One More Mile. They haven't done anything with a bluesy feel since... well.... Heartache Tonight is probably the closest they got.

Prettymaid
11-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Perhaps I Don't Mind... maybe they thought it was about Don?:hilarious: Just keeping it light...

I knew it! I just knew that's who you were thinking of! :hilarious:

Freypower
11-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Let's be fair here - it could easily be about both Don and Glenn.

sodascouts
11-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Well, I usually tend to read a bit too much into lyrics, but if I were to speculate, I'd say it would be applicable to both. Traditionally within the Eagles, Glenn is the one who usually says he "just might go" but Don is the one who often gives off the vibe of "living with misery." Also, even if it were inspired by one or both, that doesn't mean that Tim didn't throw in some other stuff that isn't applicable to either.

luvthelighthouse
11-05-2009, 07:38 PM
I was just joking. Don't over think this or get upset by it. In my original post, I was going to say Don or Glenn... but I streamlined. Who knows, maybe the song is about was written during his kids teenage years when they were moody. :hilarious: Just having a little fun, that's all.

Ive always been a dreamer
11-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Well, I had also wondered about this, but hadn't gotten a chance to answer before now. I actually think most of the Expando tracks could have worked as Eagles song on LROOE with a few exceptions. It's funny, but a couple of songs that I don't think would work well have already been mentioned by a couple of people that think they would work. I can't see either Compassion, One More Mile, or Ella Jean working as Eagles songs. As far as White Boy from Sacramento, it could work, but I think using the 3 black females was a brilliant idea that probably works better than anything else you could ever do with the song. I think Friday Night, I Don't Mind, and Downtime could all possibly work with some rearranging i.e. I Don't Mind would need harmonies added to the chorus. Now, interestingly enough, the songs that I think would work best as Eagles songs are the ones that are among my favorites on the album. I guess it's no accident, but I didn't think about it until after I had picked them. I think Secular Praise, Parachute, Melancholy, and A Good Day would all be great Eagles songs with only a very few minor changes to the arrangements. I also agree that any of these four songs are superior to I Don't Want To Hear Any More. Nothing against Paul Carrack, but I just think it would have been preferable to have a song written by Tim on LROOE.

eaglesvet
11-07-2009, 11:55 PM
I'm writing away from home (at my conference), so I don't have Expando to confirm lyrics. Isn't I Don't Mind the song where Tim mentions "your inner child?" When I first heard that, it immediately reminded me of Don's Get Over It...coincidental?? Or a reference to Don? :shrug:

Actually, I had no idea as to who the song was about when I listened to it the first umpteen times. Now I'll have to relisten to it when I get home, with these new theories in mind. :wink::hilarious:

Freypower
11-08-2009, 06:53 PM
And what about the line 'warm & fuzzy' in WBFS, which he relates to singing LWKUA, but which to me is a Borderism for Don & Glenn being nice to each other....