PDA

View Full Version : Poor Poco: They Were 'The Next Big Thing...'

sodascouts
11-16-2006, 11:05 PM
Came across this old article and decided to post some excerpts from it for comment!

Rolling Stone - April 26, 1973

It's been four years since Poco played their first gig at the Troubadour and everybody made a point of saying the band would be The Next Big Thing. Five albums and many tours later, Poco is still on the verge.

"I get frustrated by the whole thing of hearing all kinds of stuff that we used to do that AM radio wouldn't touch," bassist Timmy Schmit says. "And now they're going crazy for it with the Eagles and stuff. It's probably even more of a frustration for Richie, I suppose, where everybody he's cohorted with is off to stardom now."

<snip>

‘Come On’, pulled from the Deliverin' album, came the closest to hitting. The single, at one time, was getting heavy West Coast airplay, and chances looked excellent for a nationwide hit until an influential Bill Drake station in Dallas decided the tune's chorus was "come on and suck me." The station made a big fuss, and ‘Come On’ was whisked from all the playlists that had previously been playing it. "The f**kers," Schmit fumed. "That chorus was actually 'Come on and love me.' Ah well..."

<snip>

Poco signed with Epic Records for nine albums. Now, the band is anxious to record and release the four LPs left in their commitment. Why? "Well," says Schmit, "it's pretty obvious we want to sign with Asylum Records. Epic just doesn't know what to do with us. We should have our contract finished in about a year. Maybe less. We've never been consistent with our material before. It's gonna blow Epic's mind that we'll be putting records out so fast now."

And what if Geffen's guidance doesn't put Poco over the top? Would they break up?

"I'd say there's a chance," admits Schmit. "Geffen told us that if we aren't busted right open by December, it's probably never gonna happen. But he believes that it is gonna happen. And so do we. We're not ready to quit yet."

[Love the Eagles mentions! And Timothy cussing someone out - who'd have thunk it? ;) BTW, I totally don't get why anyone would think that line is "come on and suck me."]

~
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/nancysigbanner.jpg

timfan
11-16-2006, 11:53 PM
Thanks Nancy That's a great article!

Brooke
11-17-2006, 04:17 PM
That was great! I like reading these old articles!

As I was reading this "Call It Love" came on the radio! http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/eek.gif I don't know who sings lead in that song, but it's a good one!

~~~

"You know, people don't run out of dreams, people just run out of time."

SweetHolly
03-16-2007, 02:13 AM
I don't know who sings lead in that song, but it's a good one!

Rusty Young sings lead on Call It Love. Thanks for the great article.

sodascouts
03-16-2007, 11:46 AM
"Call It Love" is a very catchy song - if you listen carefully you can hear Randy on harmonies.

TimothyBFan
11-06-2008, 01:56 PM
I just got this on google alert--I doubt that Timothy will be part of Poco when they do appear in 2009 but it was nice of them to mention him.

Chesney, McEntire lead the Stagecoach parade (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2008/11/chesney-mcentir.html)

tbs fanatic
11-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Oh, Jerry Jeff Walker is great. Go see him if you can.

Prettymaid
12-07-2009, 09:50 AM
[Love the Eagles mentions! And Timothy cussing someone out - who'd have thunk it? ;) BTW, I totally don't get why anyone would think that line is "come on and suck me."]

Really! Someone had a warped mind!

zeldabjr
07-06-2012, 10:10 AM
not sure if this is the right thread, but I just ordered two Poco CDs...Head Over Heels and A Good Feelin' To Know...I need to start learning about the sweet Timothy I never knew!!...any other suggestions for good Poco CDs/songs...I'm open!!!

luvthelighthouse
07-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Glad this thread was resurrected... I'd never seen that article before... Ah, young Timothy...

BramwenR
07-06-2012, 04:46 PM
I'd never seen that article before either, WTG Timmy, calling a spade a spade ;) he is a Scorpio you know, what he said was appropriate at the time. Maybe he wanted to call them something worse than that but decided to be discreet (I'm sure he has another word!!) :hilarious:

Think there was likely some political bs going down at the time that song came out, shows that some people don't listen to song lyrics too carefully, do they!! That was so not fair. I haven't listened to much Poco stuff, I have to say...ROC and a couple of others and they were such a good band.

Helped of course by Tim's soaring vocals!!

Thanks for bringing this up, it's helpful when musos are honest with their opinions :shock::roll::thumbsup:

SallyGee
07-07-2012, 07:12 PM
not sure if this is the right thread, but I just ordered two Poco CDs...Head Over Heels and A Good Feelin' To Know...I need to start learning about the sweet Timothy I never knew!!...any other suggestions for good Poco CDs/songs...I'm open!!!
Zelda, Great choices! Good Feelin' to Know is probably my favorite Poco album. Ooops! There I go again, showing my age. Head Over Heels has 3 songs by a certain bass player and is also a great album. Another personal favorite is Rose of Cimarron. I'm anxious to see if you like Poco. It's been hard being a Poco fan and hearing "who's that?". IMHO, they really deserved so much more recognition. People said they were too country. Country people said they weren't country. They were a great combination of Country and Rock. Hope you like them!

Topkat
07-07-2012, 07:51 PM

Zelda, you picked 2 great albums! Don't even get me started on Poco because I can go on for ages! Poco was an amazing band & LIVE, forget about it, they were on fire! They were the unfortunate victims of poor management & slid under the radar, missing out on the huge fame. They were invited to play at Woodstock, but their manager talked them out of it, saying "It was going to rain & nobody would show up" Yeah right dude, it was "THE CONCERT of the CENTURY" If Poco had done Wookstock,they would have had the huge fame they so deserved!

Another myth is that Randy quit Poco,, but no. He was fired by Jim Messina & Richie Furay when he wanted to be involved in the producing & they said no. On the first Poco album, Randy's face was taken out & replaced with a dog! I always wondered why that dog was there??? lol Tim was called in immediately to replace him, (He auditioned the same time as Randy but Randy was chosen) It was a close call between Tim & Randy. Most of Randy's parts were removed from the album. He only played with Poco about 6 months. Randy didn't speak to those guys for about 20 years. Ironicly, he later rejoined Poco, I think in the late 80's or early 90's.

BTW: Where are Poco albums available on CD? All mine are on vinyl & I can't play them!!! Another great album is "The Very Best of Poco" which is the best of the first 8 albums. It was a double album!

zeldabjr
07-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Zelda, you picked 2 great albums! Don't even get me started on Poco because I can go on for ages! Poco was an amazing band & LIVE, forget about it, they were on fire! They were the unfortunate victims of poor management & slid under the radar, missing out on the huge fame. They were invited to play at Woodstock, but their manager talked them out of it, saying "It was going to rain & nobody would show up" Yeah right dude, it was "THE CONCERT of the CENTURY" If Poco had done Wookstock,they would have had the huge fame they so deserved!

Another myth is that Randy quit Poco,, but no. He was fired by Jim Messina & Richie Furay when he wanted to be involved in the producing & they said no. On the first Poco album, Randy's face was taken out & replaced with a dog! I always wondered why that dog was there??? lol Tim was called in immediately to replace him, (He auditioned the same time as Randy but Randy was chosen) It was a close call between Tim & Randy. Most of Randy's parts were removed from the album. He only played with Poco about 6 months. Randy didn't speak to those guys for about 20 years. Ironicly, he later rejoined Poco, I think in the late 80's or early 90's.

BTW: Where are Poco albums available on CD? All mine are on vinyl & I can't play them!!! Another great album is "The Very Best of Poco" which is the best of the first 8 albums. It was a double album!
I ordered them through Amazon

Topkat
07-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Thanks Zelda, I will have to look for them & order them. Tim was just so great in Poco, I wish you all could have seen him then!! OMG!:thud:

SallyGee
07-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Topkat, I agree with you totally! Poco was when I first fell in love with Timothy.:inlove:When did you see them? I didn't get to see them until 1978. Timothy was already gone.:sad: But it was still a great show. I also saw them about 5 years ago. Richie Furay was touring with them They opened for Logins and Messina, and Jim Messina came out and did a few songs with them. Awesome show!

Topkat
07-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Topkat, I agree with you totally! Poco was when I first fell in love with Timothy.:inlove:When did you see them? I didn't get to see them until 1978. Timothy was already gone.:sad: But it was still a great show. I also saw them about 5 years ago. Richie Furay was touring with them They opened for Logins and Messina, and Jim Messina came out and did a few songs with them. Awesome show!

I discovered Poco when I worked in a record store when I was 16. I found the "Deliverin" album & I read the glowing review on the liner notes that NY DJ, Pete Fornatale wrote about them. I put it on the turntable at the shop & I just fell madly in love with the entire band! I guess it was around 1973. I went to see them live every chance I could, at least a dozen times. They played in NY a lot. They played at the Central Park Festival concerts & also at all the colleges & many other venues in NY. I think the Academy of Music & Carnagie Hall. Tim was just so great live. He was always very happy & always jumping, smiling, dancing & his singing was to die for! I think every girl in the audience fell in love with him! He was not just adorable....his talent was HUGE, even back then!

zeldabjr
07-09-2012, 02:59 AM
I discovered Poco when I worked in a record store when I was 16. I found the "Deliverin" album & I read the glowing review on the liner notes that NY DJ, Pete Fornatale wrote about them. I put it on the turntable at the shop & I just fell madly in love with the entire band! I guess it was around 1973. I went to see them live every chance I could, at least a dozen times. They played in NY a lot. They played at the Central Park Festival concerts & also at all the colleges & many other venues in NY. I think the Academy of Music & Carnagie Hall. Tim was just so great live. He was always very happy & always jumping, smiling, dancing & his singing was to die for! I think every girl in the audience fell in love with him! He was not just adorable....his talent was HUGE, even back then!

I feel like I've missed out on sooo much!:-(

Topkat
07-09-2012, 12:59 PM
I feel like I've missed out on sooo much!:-(

Yes Zelda. There is not much Poco video out there, but I can tell you that they were always very high energy & they did have a big following of fans back in the 70's. I remember every show was sold out! They never failed to put a smile on my face! Here is only a small part of what Pete Fornatale, WNEW-FM DJ had to say about them.

"Their soaring harmonies are delicate and precise, guaranteed to uplift your spirits, and the overall effect of their performance is exhilarating.

Like a well oiled machine, Poco is the definitive rock unit. Five highly individualistic talents who somehow manage to merge their efforts and energies and operate as one.

The end result is very difficult to describe because it is so intimately wrapped up with emotions and feelings and such. Poco music is happy music. It's people music. It's toe-tapping, foot-stomping, knee-slapping, blood pumping, wide-grinning, shit-kicking, down-home rock & roll music. And it's some of the finest music being made anywhere by anybody in these troubled times."

Pete Fornatale was one of the hot, FM Dj's in NYC in the 70's. I heard that he had passed away, not too long ago.:-(

zeldabjr
08-02-2012, 05:04 PM
I thought it was funny...I just got an ad in my inbox from "The Hamilton" where we saw Timothy in DC...Poco is going to be there...would anyone go see Poco without Timothy?

SallyGee
08-02-2012, 06:20 PM
I saw them a few years ago. But Richie Furay was with them on that tour. Great show! I don't think I would see them without him though.

Topkat
08-02-2012, 08:09 PM
I have not seen Poco since Timothy left because I was so devastated, but I think if Richie was there, I would see them. Also would see Jim Messina. l have no idea who is in the band these days. Many of them have floated in & out...Does anyone know who is in Poco these days???

Freypower
08-02-2012, 08:59 PM
I have not seen Poco since Timothy left because I was so devastated, but I think if Richie was there, I would see them. Also would see Jim Messina. l have no idea who is in the band these days. Many of them have floated in & out...Does anyone know who is in Poco these days???

According to this:

Jack Sundrud, Rusty Young, George Lawrence, Michael Webb.

http://www.poconut.org/#scrapbook/2

Topkat
08-03-2012, 02:40 PM
I only really know Rusty from this group, but I'm sure the others are pretty good. I would just prefer to see Richie, Jim or Paul with them. I think it might make me sad to see all my favorites gone from this band! :-(

SallyGee
08-03-2012, 04:29 PM
I agree Topkat. When I saw them, Paul was still with them.George was recuperating from his stroke, but he came out and sang for a few songs.They opened for Loggins and Messina, and Jim came out for a few songs. So everybody was there for a few songs except Timothy. It was almost perfect. If only he was there.

Topkat
08-03-2012, 11:58 PM
I bet that was a really great show, & to see Loggin's & Messina along with them must have been fantastic. I always loved Loggins & Messina. I only saw them once, but they were great.

On reading up about Poco, they said that Jim left Poco to produce Kenny Loggins because he was that impressed with his songwriting. He ended up playing with him, & calling the album, "Sittin' In" They were great together. I never did see Jim play with Poco because he left the band before I even discovered them.