PDA

View Full Version : Joe Walsh Music Videos Survivor Game

Ive always been a dreamer
11-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Time for the "Joe Walsh Music Video" Survivor, where we vote off Joe's solo music videos until we get to the last one standing!

If you're new, for a basic overview of the game, see this post: Survivor Overview (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6551&postcount=7)

I'm going to list all Joe’s solo music videos here. Vote for the video that you feel should be eliminated from the list. The video that gets the most votes will be taken off of the list (or, in the language of Survivor, "voted off of the island.") Each round, one more video will get axed, until there's only one left. Remember: you're voting for your LEAST favorite, not your favorite.

Each round will last 48 hours after posting to give people a chance to vote who don't post every day. That means that the first round will end at 8:00 Eastern Standard Time the day after tomorrow. If you miss a round, don't think you can't play. It's all good!

Since there may be discussion posts, be sure to make it clear when you are casting your vote. Votes cannot be cast after the cut off time of 8:00 on the second day, and they cannot be changed once you have voted. This holds true even if your vote is a mistake. Sorry, them's the rules!

If you get confused about what round we are in, look at this post. I'll always update it to reflect the current round. Also feel free to post any questions if you don't understand what's going on.

If there is a tie in any round, then ALL votes from ALL previous rounds are tallied and whichever video has the most prior votes is eliminated. That’s the way it’s done on the real show, that’s the way it’s done here. If there is a complete tie with prior votes (Murphy’s Law), then I'll have a sudden-death trivia question ready. The first person who answers it correctly gets to break the tie. The odds of that happening are slim, but you never know, and it's good to be prepared.

The tie-breaker question will be asked one hour after results are in, if there is need for it. The exception is the last round. If the tie-breaker does not resolve the last round, then the tie will be allowed to stand.

We also have immunity questions. We won't have immunity questions on the first or second-to-last-rounds, and of course we won't have them for the last round, lol. However, for the other rounds, we will.

Here's how immunity questions work. After the end of the round, I ask a Walsh-related question. The first person who answers the question correctly gets to pick a remaining video to be immune - no one can vote for it on the next round.You must include both your answer and the video you wish to be immune in your post in order for it to count. I'll allow two hours for someone to answer. If no one gets it right by then, then we continue the round as normal without any video being immune. You only get one guess per round, so be careful!

Soda put all of Joe’s videos into a video player called JoeTube (http://www.joewalshonline.com/joetube.htm) so you can familiarize yourself with them more easily. Of course, if you'd prefer links, they're linked from the JWO filmography (http://www.joewalshonline.com/solo/videoindex.htm)!

So now – let’s have some fun and enjoy the game!

Videos eliminated:
Space Age Whiz Kids 11/22
The Radio Song 11/24
I Can Play That Rock & Roll 11/30
In My Car 12/2
The Confessor 12/4
Ordinary Average Guy 12/6

The game is over. Thanks for playing!

Congrats Life of Illusion!

11-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Okay folks – just a few notes about the Joe Music Videos Survivor Game. First of all, I had to start this earlier than usual because I’ve got plans with another Eagle tonight. :wink: However, to keep on schedule, the voting for Round 1 will end at 8:00 p.m. EST on Sunday. We will then play Round 2, and then pause the game for the Thanksgiving holiday celebrated here in the U.S. After that, the game will resume with Round 3 starting at 8:00 p.m. EST on Friday, 11/27. Don’t worry about remembering all of this now. Of course, I’ll post reminders as we go along. So hope everyone has fun and enjoys the game.

EagleLady
11-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Hmm, This is hard. I'll go with The Radio Song

ticky
11-20-2009, 04:15 PM
I gotta go with Space Age Whiz Kids. This is my least favorite of the chosen vids and one of my least favorite songs by Joe in general. I can see it go without feeling too bad.

AzEaglesFan
11-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Space Age Whiz Kids

Wildthyme
11-20-2009, 04:40 PM
I am going to agree with Rhonda on this one. My vote this round is for Space Age Whiz Kids.

TimothyBFan
11-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Looks like my thoughts are about the same as others for this first round.

I vote for Space Age Whiz Kids.

EL -I actually have The Radio Song in my top 3. :hilarious:

Freypower
11-20-2009, 05:18 PM
My vote is for In My Car. I get the point after 10 seconds and then it just repeats itself.

sodascouts
11-20-2009, 10:04 PM
Well, it looks like Space Age Whiz Kids is on its way out, despite its 80s novelty charm.

I'm gonna say Life of Illusion. Joe looks adorable in his shorts and it's fun to see behind the scenes, but it's just footage from a photo shoot!

I cast my vote for Life of Illusion.

luvthelighthouse
11-21-2009, 12:52 AM
I hate to say it, but none of the video's are stellar IMO. I actually was at least a little amused by SPWK.

I'm voting for Life of Illusion. (Good song, but not such a great vid, IMO)

Koala
11-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Icast myvote for Space Age Whiz Kids!

11-21-2009, 06:19 PM
Okay – I’m already seeing some dissenting opinions here regarding these videos, which always makes for some fun discussion. First, as far as Space Age Whiz Kids, I’m not crazy about the song either; however, this is actually one of Joe’s better videos, IMO. To me this is one of those videos that actually enhances the song and makes it more enjoyable to listen to. Unfortunately, it may be too late to save it, but I hate seeing this video go down so early. I think the switch between black and white and color to convey the past and present is effective. I also like the switching back and forth between the old pinball machines and modern (at the time) video games such Pac-Man and Donkey Kong. I particularly like the last scene where you see the new "Whiz Kids" video game in the futuristic arcade.

And Life of Illusion is one of my favorite songs and videos. Unlike Soda, I love how they expanded on the album cover’s theme to make the video. It seems very appropriate to the song for me. I think this was one of Joe’s more clever and artistic videos even if the backdrop isn’t a beautiful, sophisticated fine arts museum.

As usual for me, I am going to wait until later to cast my vote.

Prettymaid
11-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Looks like SAWK is going this round, so...

I will vote for I Can Play That Rock and Roll.

11-22-2009, 08:31 PM
Okay - This is hard, but ...

I cast my vote for The Radio Song.

It's okay but not enough going on in the video to keep me entertained.

11-22-2009, 09:03 PM
The tribe has spoken and the first video to be eliminated in the "Joe Walsh Music Videos” Survivor is Space Age Whiz Kids’. “Space Age Whiz Kids”, it looks as if all your pinball pool-sharks just couldn’t compete. So please leave the island immediately. The remaining videos may return to camp.

Votes
Space Age Whiz Kids – 5
The Radio Song – 2
Life of Illusion – 2
In My Car – 1
I Can Play that Rock & Roll – 1

Vote Breakdown
Space Age Whiz Kids – ticky
Space Age Whiz Kids – AzEaglesFan
Space Age Whiz Kids – WildThyme
Space Age Whiz Kids – TimothyBFan
Space Age Whiz Kids – Koala
The Radio Song – EagleLady
The Radio Song – Ive always been a dreamer
Life of Illusion – sodascouts
Life of Illusion – luvthelighthouse
In My Car – Freypower
I Can Play that Rock & Roll – Pretty Maid

Videos eliminated:

Videos remaining:
Life of Illusion
I Can Play That Rock & Roll
The Confessor
The Radio Song
In My Car
Ordinary Average Guy

To view the videos, go to the JWO filmography (http://www.joewalshonline.com/solo/videoindex.htm) or view them on the JoeTube (http://www.joewalshonline.com/joetube.htm).

Voting for Round 2 will begin after the following immunity question is answered:

Which video in this game does Wolfman Jack make an appearance?

NOTE: You MUST include the song you want to be immune along with your answer for it to be counted.

ticky
11-22-2009, 09:30 PM
Answer, The Radio Song...

Immune, The Confessor

11-22-2009, 09:49 PM
That is correct, ticky.

The Confessor is immune.

Voting for Round 2 begins now.

EagleLady
11-22-2009, 10:01 PM
I, Once again go for The Radio Song

Freypower
11-22-2009, 10:21 PM
I again vote for In My Car.

sodascouts
11-23-2009, 02:46 AM
You know, after Dreamer commented on the appropriateness of filming a photo shoot for the song "Life of Illusion," I looked at it in a whole new light. What I thought was laziness - slapping some footage to music and calling it a video - could have been a deliberate choice. We're being shown what was behind the "illusion" created on the album cover.

So, with that new perspective, I'm no longer voting for it to go. Instead, I'll vote for the one whose central gimmick, moving people back and forth on an unseen conveyor belt, is the most boring. I guess we're supposed to oooh and aaah at how the camera tricks make them appear and disappear.... SNOOZE! That got old in about 20 seconds!

AzEaglesFan
11-23-2009, 04:09 AM
The Radio Song

Koala
11-23-2009, 04:29 AM

Prettymaid
11-23-2009, 09:01 AM
It's too bad The Radio Song video is getting all the votes this round. Face it, none of these are top notch or very thought provoking, but in TRS when Joe is playing guitar in that field with the lights on him he looks hot!

I'm going to save my vote for later.

TimothyBFan
11-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Like I said before, I actually like TRS. I seem to be a minority.

The whole destroying the whole room because of one fly, I just don't get but I guess that could be said of pretty much every Joe Walsh video. :hilarious: I don't think they are suppose to make much sense honestly. Just be fun.

My vote goes for I Can Play That Rock And Roll.

sodascouts
11-23-2009, 01:11 PM
It's too bad The Radio Song video is getting all the votes this round. Face it, none of these are top notch or very thought provoking, but in TRS when Joe is playing guitar in that field with the lights on him he looks hot!

You're absolutely right - that's the best part of the video!

ticky
11-23-2009, 01:53 PM
I have to agree with Willie on this one. I dont think The Radio Song video is any more annoying then some of the others, it's not my favorite, but it's okay. I can Play That Rock and Roll is a great song that rocks! but the video is annoying, propagating an image I think Joe'd just as soon forget and it has little or NOTHING to do with the song itself.
In short, LOVE the song, HATE the video.
I vote for "I Can Play That Rock and Roll"

sodascouts
11-23-2009, 03:05 PM
You know, I have to say, I really hate that whole "destruction for fun" thing Joe used to do. I read these stories about Joe and his buddies defacing paintings and throwing televisions into pools and chopping up furniture and I know I'm supposed to think it's hilarious... but all I can think of is what a shame it is to ruin so many nice things when other people would have enjoyed them. You can throw money at a hotel manager and he can clean up your mess and even make a little to boot, but that painting is never coming back. It's almost like he's saying "I know there are a lot of people who are poor and don't have these nice things, but I'm so rich they're nothing to me! What you would value I can destroy because I have enough money to buy 1000 of 'em with change to spare!"

I think it's sad, not funny... but I don't want to sound like a preachy party pooper so I'll let it go at that!

Prettymaid
11-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Soda, I totally agree with you. Joe must have been out of his mind most of the time anyway, but I have never found destroying (or taking) property that isn't yours funny. He's probably embarassed by it now. But you never know. Does anybody remember the last interview it was brought up in and what he said about it?

I'm still going to hold my vote for now.

ticky
11-23-2009, 03:50 PM
I dont know exactly in Joe's own words how it all got started, but I can make an educated guess piecing together interviews and book etc about those times. In Joe Vitale's book, he talks about having water fights that just got out of hand in hotels when Joey V and Joe were with Barnstorm. I think from those, they got a reputation for being wild and destroying hotel rooms. Joe W and Irving were very good friends and were used to having adjoining rooms. At one point they'd asked for adjoining rooms and were told they didnt have any available. They got room next to each other and Joe used a skill saw he found (from some construction work happening in another part of the hotel) to cut a door between the rooms. It was Irving who gave Joe his first chainsaw, so I would imagine that that particular image was developed after the rumors of the room destruction spread. I dont know personally how Joe feels about all of this but I have the feeling it was more image and outside influence then personality or personal preferences. My guess...

Freypower
11-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Re The Radio Song I think it's different and I see nothing wrong with it. It's interesting that the voting is all going in blocks so far. I concur with PM's comments.

The problem with most of these videos is that Joe thinks he has to exaggerate the 'goofy' persona and that is why I don't think the majority of them are particularly good videos.

11-24-2009, 12:09 AM
Okay – As a child of the 70’s, I want to try to present another side to the “room trash” issue. Now, let me start off by saying that I don’t think anyone today condones this behavior. It is indefensible – BUT, I think it’s important to keep in mind that attitudes have changed drastically from what they were back then. A band trashing hotel rooms back in the 70’s and early 80’s was a fad and actually considered “cool” by the younger generation. It was like the more outrageous and rebellious, the better. Not only that, but it was such a common thing and hotels were fully aware of the ‘consequences’ of reserving rooms for rock bands. Some hotels actually became infamous, such as the Continental “Riot” House that is portrayed in the movie Almost Famous. Now, I know this sounds weird today, and, again, I’m not trying to defend the behavior. However, while it may have been viewed back then as somewhat irresponsible and wreckless, today we view it as criminal. So having ‘been there’, my guess is that while Joe and the rest of the band aren’t proud of much of their behavior back in the day, they just have to look back at it much as Joe Vitale does in his book. I mean what can you say, other than ‘it was the 70’s’ and many stupid things happened. I know it is cliché to say this, but I guess you probably really did have to be there to truly understand. I can only say that social attitudes of today are just extremely different than they were back then.

As far as the I Can Play That Rock & Roll video, I just have to take those times into consideration. At the time it was made, it was a very funny video because it is a gross exaggeration even for back then. So, again, since I was ‘there’, I can probably appreciate the humor more than some of you can. If it were a modern day video, I would view it in an entirely different light.

Wildthyme
11-24-2009, 12:19 AM
My vote this round is for I Can Play That Rock and Roll.

luvthelighthouse
11-24-2009, 12:33 AM
This has nothing to do w/how I feel about the destruction of hotel rooms...

I'm voting this round for I Can Play that Rock and Roll

Prettymaid
11-24-2009, 09:45 AM
Okay – As a child of the 70’s, I want to try to present another side to the “room trash” issue. Now, let me start off by saying that I don’t think anyone today condones this behavior... BUT, I think it’s important to keep in mind that attitudes have changed drastically from what they were back then... So having ‘been there’, my guess is that while Joe and the rest of the band aren’t proud of much of their behavior back in the day, they just have to look back at it much as Joe Vitale does in his book... I guess you probably really did have to be there to truly understand. I can only say that social attitudes of today are just extremely different than they were back then.

Well Dreamer, I know you just celebrated a birthday, but I don't think you and I are very far apart in age. I'm not sure your argument comes from having "been there" as much as it comes from your enjoyment and talent of presenting the other side! :thumbsup:

Even with social attitudes what they were, I didn't like hearing about room trashing back then either.

I'll hold my vote until later today.

Prettymaid
11-24-2009, 05:46 PM
I cast my vote for I Can Play That Rock And Roll.

11-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Well Dreamer, I know you just celebrated a birthday, but I don't think you and I are very far apart in age. I'm not sure your argument comes from having "been there" as much as it comes from your enjoyment and talent of presenting the other side! :thumbsup:

Even with social attitudes what they were, I didn't like hearing about room trashing back then either.

PM, I am definitely someone who subscribes to the theory that there are 3 sides to every story, and, therefore, I do try really hard to look at all sides of situations. I didn't like hearing about room trashing back then either. I really wasn't a very "cool" child of the '70's. :shock: However, I just don't think it's necessarily fair to judge people on their behavior in the 70's by today's standards. As I said before, it was a very different social climate back then. I know I certainly did a lot of things back then that I wouldn't think of doing now. I'll spare everyone the details though. :wink: :wink:

I'm going to stick with my vote from last round ...

11-24-2009, 09:04 PM
With the votes tied, the tiebreaker determines that the second video to be eliminated in the "Joe Walsh Music Videos” Survivor is The Radio Song’. “The Radio Song”, you aren’t going to like the way that this sounds, but you must please leave the island immediately. The remaining videos may return to camp.

Votes
The Radio Song – 5
I Can Play that Rock & Roll – 5
In My Car – 1

Tie Breaker Votes (number of votes cast in previous rounds)
The Radio Song – 2
I Can Play that Rock & Roll – 1

Vote Breakdown
The Radio Song – EagleLady
The Radio Song – sodascouts
The Radio Song – AzEaglesFan
The Radio Song – Koala
The Radio Song – Ive always been a dreamer
I Can Play that Rock & Roll – TimothyBFan
I Can Play that Rock & Roll – ticky
I Can Play that Rock & Roll – WildThyme
I Can Play that Rock & Roll – luvthelighthouse
I Can Play that Rock & Roll – Pretty Maid
In My Car – Freypower

Videos eliminated:
The Radio Song 11/24

Videos remaining:
Life of Illusion
I Can Play That Rock & Roll
The Confessor
In My Car
Ordinary Average Guy

To view the videos, go to the JWO filmography (http://www.joewalshonline.com/solo/videoindex.htm) or view them on the JoeTube (http://www.joewalshonline.com/joetube.htm)

The immunity question for Round 3 is as follows:

In what video in this game does Joe spray paint his name?

NOTE: You MUST include the song you want to be immune along with your answer for it to be counted.

Prettymaid
11-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Life Of Illusion

Immune - Life of Illusion please.

11-24-2009, 09:13 PM
PM, that is correct. Life of Illusion will be immune for Round 3.

Important Note:

We are going to temporarily suspend play of our game for the Thanksgiving Holidays observed in the U.S. Please do not cast any votes during the break. Play will resume on Friday, 11/27 at 8:00 p.m. EST. We will make an announcement at that time to begin the voting for Round 3.

(Everyone feel free to continue discussion about the videos during the break if you wish. However, please do not cast your vote until the announcement that play has resumed).

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!!

sodascouts
11-28-2009, 12:51 AM
Sorry for the delay guys - Dreamer's computer crashed and I was at the Renaissance Festival all day - just got back, in fact. To make things easier, let's just put this off another few hours and start it at 8:00 pm Eastern tomorrow (Saturday). Again, sorry!

ticky
11-28-2009, 02:10 AM
NP :)

11-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Okay everyone - Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and sorry about my computer problems last night, but we are ready to resume the game.

Life of Illusion is immune.

Voting for Round 3 begins now.

EagleLady
11-28-2009, 09:06 PM
I vote for I Can Play that Rock N' Roll

ticky
11-28-2009, 09:16 PM
gotta go with I Can Play that Rock and Roll for the same reasons as before. Great song, not so great video.

AzEaglesFan
11-29-2009, 02:44 AM
I Can Play That Rock and Roll

Koala
11-29-2009, 03:26 AM
I vote for I Can Play that Rock N' Roll

sodascouts
11-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Just to be different...

I cast my vote for In My Car.

Freypower
11-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Thanks Soda. I also vote for In My Car (again).

Wildthyme
11-30-2009, 04:58 AM
I vote for In My Car this round...

TimothyBFan
11-30-2009, 08:18 AM
My vote goes to I Can Play That Rock & Roll. Same reasons as before.

11-30-2009, 03:02 PM
First of all, I wanted to say thanks for making Life of Illusion immune this round, PM. I really like this video a lot, and hope it will stick around in the game. While at first it may come across as just another one of Joe’s silly videos, I think there is a lot more to it. IMO, all of the imagery and illusions that are going on are very well done. I particularly like all of the ‘bird’ imagery. At the beginning of the video there is a whole flock of birds in the ‘neighborhood’, but you see the birds eventually all fly away - perhaps a migration to a more suitable environment. Then, throughout the video, you see several ‘bird’ illusions until at the end, there is a single bird flying around that also turns out to be another illusion - maybe just another one of “nature’s little surprises”. Since the video is immune it will be around a while longer, and we can, hopefully, discuss it some more. But, I just want to encourage some of you to give more consideration to this video as you vote in future rounds.

Now, back to this round. It looks like I Can Play That Rock & Roll may go down. As I've said before, while I agree that Joe's behavior is irresponsible, immature, and adolescent, I also see the outrageous humor that was intended in the video. One of my favorite parts is when the hotel manager come in, and Joe is trying to explain how it's all the fly's fault. You can almost read his lips, and the exaggerated humor of the video climaxes in that scene. In my opinion, In My Car is equally immature and adolescent, but not as funny, so ....

Prettymaid
11-30-2009, 06:57 PM
The two videos are really pretty much equal on my list. Should I stay true to form and vote for ICPTRAR or should I tie it up with a vote for IMC? I realize ICPTRAR has the most previous votes, but maybe LTL would like to come in and be the tiebreaker? Hmmm... :hmm:

What the hay, let's shake things up a little.

I vote for In My Car.

11-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Well, we have another tie so this round will also be determined by the tiebreaker. The next video to be eliminated in the "Joe Walsh Music Videos” Survivor is I Can Play That Rock & Roll’. “I Can Play That Rock & Roll”, the tribe turned up and voted and you can’t check out any time you like. You must leave the island immediately. The remaining videos may return to camp.

Votes
I Can Play that Rock & Roll – 5
In My Car – 5

Tie Breaker Votes (number of votes cast in previous rounds)
I Can Play that Rock & Roll – 6
In My Car – 2

Vote Breakdown
I Can Play that Rock & Roll – EagleLady
I Can Play that Rock & Roll – ticky
I Can Play that Rock & Roll – AzEaglesFan
I Can Play that Rock & Roll – Koala
I Can Play that Rock & Roll – TimothyBFan
In My Car – – sodascouts
In My Car – Freypower
In My Car – WildThyme
In My Car – Ive always been a dreamer
In My Car – Pretty Maid

Videos eliminated:
The Radio Song 11/24

Videos remaining:
Life of Illusion
The Confessor
In My Car
Ordinary Average Guy

To view the videos, go to the JWO filmography (http://www.joewalshonline.com/solo/videoindex.htm) or view them on the JoeTube (http://www.joewalshonline.com/joetube.htm)

Voting for Round 4 will begin after the following immunity question is answered:

Name one video in this game that is filmed partially in black and white?

Prettymaid
11-30-2009, 09:07 PM
Space Age Whiz Kids

Immune - Ordinary Average Guy

11-30-2009, 09:17 PM
That is correct, PM.

I would have also accepted Ordinary Average Guy as a correct answer.

Ordinary Average Guy is immune.

Voting for Round 4 begins now.

EagleLady
11-30-2009, 10:05 PM
I Vote for In My Car

Wildthyme
11-30-2009, 10:07 PM
I vote for In My Car once again....

Freypower
11-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Entirely predictably I again vote for In My Car.

ticky
12-01-2009, 01:32 AM
This round really comes down to two videos for me, In my Car and Life of Illusion. I rewatched both several times and I have to go with Life Of Illusion. While, yes, there is a lot of subcontext and contrast that makes this video interesting and it really tells a story and has a message of its own, it leaves me flat. I, personally, when watching a music video would rather be entertained by it then have to think to hard about it. (I'll watch NOVA when I want to think)
In my car is fun. It's entertaining and Joe looks HOT in it. The song isnt my favorite, but it's okay. It comes down to, In My Car makes me smile, while Life of Illusion makes me question my social values. I'd rather smile.

TimothyBFan
12-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Gotta mix it up a bit now. I actually have In My Car as my #2 slot. Just love everything about it... Can't go wrong with a red corvette, the limo, playing the guitar in the robe, food delivery, bowling.... gee has it all. :hilarious: I'm sticking with my original list. The Confessor is next for me. Love his look in it but the chicks eyes freak me out. The discoloration is strange and I just don't get it. As much as I love the song, I'm not at all fond of the video till about 1/2 way thru (when he gets naked :hilarious:). I do love the guitar solo desert and the way he's dressed.

I vote for The Confessor.

Koala
12-01-2009, 01:14 PM

luvthelighthouse
12-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Dang, I missed a round! It's been a busy few days for me, so sorry about that... but to be honest, ICPTRR would have been my vote, so IMO, the correct song was voted off.

So I don't miss this round, I'll vote right now for Life of Illusion.

sodascouts
12-01-2009, 05:18 PM
I'm going with In My Car as well, although I admit it has some funny moments.

AzEaglesFan
12-02-2009, 02:46 AM
Life of Illusion

12-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Well - It looks like In My Car will probably go down this time, so I am going to do what I should have done last round ... I'm going to vote strategically. So ...

I cast my vote for The Confessor.

Prettymaid
12-02-2009, 04:21 PM
I vote for The Confessor

sodascouts
12-02-2009, 09:06 PM
The tribe has spoken again and the next video to be eliminated in the "Joe Walsh Music Videos” Survivor is In My Car. “In My Car”, you couldn’t go the distance. But, don’t bother with directions – your ride is leaving the island immediately so you must go. The remaining videos may return to camp.

Votes
In My Car – 5
Life of Illusion – 3
The Confessor – 3

Vote Breakdown
In My Car – EagleLady
In My Car – WildThyme
In My Car – Freypower
In My Car – Koala
In My Car – sodascouts
Life of Illusion – ticky
Life of Illusion – luvthelighthouse
Life of Illusion – AzEaglesFan
The Confessor – TimothyBFan
The Confessor – Ive always been a dreamer
The Confessor – Prettymaid

Videos eliminated:
The Radio Song 11/24
In My Car 12/2

Videos remaining:
Life of Illusion
The Confessor
Ordinary Average Guy

To view the videos, go to the JWO filmography (http://www.joewalshonline.com/solo/videoindex.htm) or view them on JoeTube (http://www.joewalshonline.com/joetube.htm).

There are no more immunity questions, so the remaining videos are now on their own.

Voting for Round 5 begins now!

EagleLady
12-02-2009, 09:15 PM
I vote for The Confessor

Freypower
12-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Life Of Illusion

sodascouts
12-02-2009, 10:49 PM
I cast my vote for Ordinary Average Guy.

The cartoons and old photos are cute and I love Joe's smile at the end, but that stop-motion shirt guy creeps me out.

ticky
12-02-2009, 11:07 PM
I vote Life Of Illusion

Koala
12-03-2009, 01:48 AM
I vote for Life Of Illusion

AzEaglesFan
12-03-2009, 02:55 AM
The Confessor

TimothyBFan
12-03-2009, 08:39 AM
I cannot believe the votes that Life Of Illusion is getting. Never saw that coming.

I vote for The Confessor.

Prettymaid
12-03-2009, 06:24 PM
I am completely stumped at this point! I don't know what to vote for. The Confessor is the best cinematographically, but could somebody explain it to me? And BTW, is Joe nude at 3:17?

The other two I have made immune at one point or another, but I'm still not sure which of the three I want to win.

I will hold my vote until tomorrow.

12-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Yeah - I am really surprised at the votes this round. I love the song Ordinary Average Guy, but to me the video doesn't have a lot going for it - I guess it's cute, but just another silly Joe video IMO. However, it looks like it's time to form a coalition and vote for The Confessor. I agree it is an artistic video, but the message is also lost on me. I figure anytime that most people have to try so hard to find the meaning of something, then the creator's probably missed the boat. So let's save Life of Illusion by voting for The Confessor.

I cast my vote for The Confessor.

sodascouts
12-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Yeah, the Confessor is weird and hard to understand, but I love that Joe went against type and did something so sophisticated and open to interpretation. It's a refreshing change from him making faces and destroying things. He really tried in that one, and the obliqueness of it fits the song.

And PM - he's wearing flesh-colored underwear. Not that I looked really closely or anything...

12-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Forgot to mention this in my last post, but another part I really like about the Life of Illusion video is how they show 'the director' directing where to place things. I love the irony of trying to organize the chaotic 'wall of confusion' especially when Joe steps up to the camera to check things out. :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
12-03-2009, 08:33 PM
And PM - he's wearing flesh-colored underwear. Not that I looked really closely or anything...

Thanks for clearing that up, though I would swear I can see - (ahem) - shall we say private parts.

Wildthyme
12-04-2009, 05:32 AM
I have to vote for The Confessor this round...

Prettymaid
12-04-2009, 01:42 PM
I'll vote for Ordinary Average Guy.

12-04-2009, 09:11 PM
The tribe has spoken again and the next video to be eliminated in the "Joe Walsh Music Videos” Survivor is The Confessor’. Well, “The Confessor” you were judged with the company you keep, but apparently you have a rocky reputation. You must leave the island immediately. The remaining two videos may return to camp.

Votes
The Confessor – 5
Life of Illusion – 3
Ordinary Average Guy – 2

Vote Breakdown
The Confessor – EagleLady
The Confessor– AzEaglesFan
The Confessor – TimothyBFan
The Confessor – Ive always been a dreamer
The Confessor – WildThyme
Life of Illusion – Freypower
Life of Illusion – ticky
Life of Illusion – Koala
Ordinary Average Guy – sodascouts
Ordinary Average Guy– Pretty Maid

Videos eliminated:
The Radio Song 11/24
In My Car 12/2
The Confessor 12/4

Videos remaining:
Life of Illusion
Ordinary Average Guy

This is our last and final round. As a result, it’s special. We do NOT vote for the album we want to leave. We vote for the one WE WANT TO WIN. That’s the way they do it on the show, so that’s the way we do it here. Again,

VOTE FOR THE SONG YOU WANT TO WIN.

EagleLady
12-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Ordinary Average Guy For the win

sodascouts
12-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Oh my gosh, I cannot believe Ordinary Average Guy beat The Confessor!

In a hugely ironic twist brought about largely by Dreamer's opening my eyes to the deeper meaning of the video...

LIFE OF ILLUSION for the win!!!!

12-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Okay - there is no need for me to wait to vote for the video I want to win the game. Like Soda, I am surprised that The Confessor went down before Ordinary Average Guy, but I'm glad the coalition worked to save A Life of Illusion. Even though OAG has some cute moments, to me it is nothing more than an ordinary, average video. As I have already stated, I believe that A Life of Illusion is superior in every way.

(Besides Joe looks REALLY hot in A Life of Illusion.)

I vote for A Life of Illusion for the win!!!

EagleLady
12-05-2009, 01:06 PM
I don't think OAG Is just an average video. I think it's unique in it's own way and LOI is just a video of the making of a video. Boring

Freypower
12-06-2009, 06:26 PM
LOI doesn't strike me as 'a video of the making of a video' - if anything it's a video of a photo shoot for the cover of There Goes The Neighbourhood, but hey, EL, that's your opinion.

I wanted The Confessor to win and I am not a great fan of either of these videos, but I agree with Soda about the man changing shirts in OAG (too similar to Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer) and so I will vote for Life Of Illusion to win.

Prettymaid
12-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Life Of Illusion here.

sodascouts
12-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Well, whaddya know! This video cost next to nothing to make - most of the expenses were for the photo shoot - and yet it takes home the prize.

The winner is.....

LIFE OF ILLUSION!

Votes
Life of Illusion – 4
Ordinary Average Guy – 1

Vote Breakdown
Life of Illusion - sodascouts
Life of Illusion - Ive always been a dreamer
Life of Illusion - Freypower
Life of Illusion - PrettyMaid
Ordinary Average Guy – EagleLady

Videos eliminated:
The Radio Song 11/24
In My Car 12/2
The Confessor 12/4
Ordinary Average Guy 12/6

Thanks for playing!

http://www.joewalshonline.com/images/WPTank.jpg
Life of Illusion
Download Video as .mpg (25 megs) (http://www.joewalshonline.com/multimedia/videos/lifeofillusion.mpg)
Download Video as .wmv (8 megs) (http://www.joewalshonline.com/multimedia/videos/lifeofillusion.wmv)

EagleLady
12-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Meh, congrats I guess. I prefer the song to the video.

Koala
12-07-2009, 02:52 AM
I missed the last round!:brickwall:

Congrats LIFE OF ILLUSION!

TimothyBFan
12-07-2009, 09:02 AM
:yay: For Life Of Illusion. Sure glad it didn't need my vote because I missed the last round. Love it!!

Prettymaid
12-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Yeah, this last round sort of went out with a fizzle...

luvthelighthouse
12-07-2009, 10:26 AM
I came to post and saw I too had missed the last round. Just a crazy few weeks w/the holidays and all.

While it's not my favorite video I do like the song... so congrats to LOI!

Brooke
12-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Well, I planned to play this game, but life just got in the way.

I will say that Life of Illusion and Ordinary Average Guy were my top two songs and LOI would have been my pick to win the game, so all's well that ends well!

Congrats to LIFE OF ILLUSION! :applause:

AzEaglesFan
12-08-2009, 03:50 AM
Darn, I missed the final vote too. I probably would have gone with Life of Illusion anyway.

12-19-2009, 02:13 AM
I wasn’t able to post anything on the board when this game ended, so first of all, I want to say how pleased I am with the outcome of the game …

Congratulations ‘A Life of Illusion’!!!

Now, I know the game has been over for a little while, but I was quite surprised about the order that some of the videos were eliminated. I am curious as to what some of you others think about this. Anyone interested in sharing the order that you had the videos ranked? Here is the order that I had them ranked …

7) The Radio Song
6) In My Car
5) Ordinary Average Guy
4) I Can Play That Rock & Roll
3) Space Age Whiz Kids
2) The Confessor
1) A Life of Illusion

Boy, I was really off the mark on a few of these – especially Space Age Whiz Kids, which was the first video eliminated and Ordinary Average Guy, which finished the game in second place.

Freypower
12-20-2009, 06:00 PM
My ranking of the videos was:

7. In My Car
6. Space Age Whiz Kids
5. I Can Play That Rock'n'Roll
4. The Radio Song
3. Ordinary Average Guy
2. A Life Of Illusion
1. The Confessor

sodascouts
12-21-2009, 02:36 AM
My opinion changed quite a bit! At the outset, I was going to vote this way:

7) A Life of Illusion
6) The Radio Song
5) In My Car
4) Space Age Whiz Kids
3) I Can Play That Rock'n'Roll
2) Ordinary Average Guy
1) The Confessor

However, I became convinced of ALOI's deeper meaning, and wound up voting for it to win (although I still would have preferred The Confessor to take it).

Weird, I know!