PDA

View Full Version : Convocation Center - Norfolk, VA 11-20-09

Ive always been a dreamer
11-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Well folks, on a personal note, this show will always be memorable to me because I have finally managed to now see a solo concert for all four current Eagles. But, so much for me, here are my thoughts on the show …

We got to the venue around 8:15 because based on what I had read, quite honestly, I wasn’t that interested in hearing JD and the Straight Shot. We meandered around the lobby and chatted, and finally went down to the floor level about 8:45 before their last song. Chatted some more, and got to my seat just before Don took the stage. The seats were awesome as I mentioned in another thread. As short as I am, I had a perfect view the entire night even when standing. That being the case, I decided to give Don my undivided attention, and focused on him intently. :wink:

He changed the set list up a bit. The only covers he did were Everybody Wants To Rule the World and It Don’t Matter To the Sun (which he moved after LWE). As I had mentioned in other threads, I wasn’t jazzed about him doing so many covers in the first place, so I really wasn’t disappointed when he skipped over I Put a Spell On You and September Song, I was in hopes that we would get My Thanksgiving instead, but, it was not to be. I will say, he did do a beautiful rendition of It Don’t Matter To the Sun. Here is the set list:

One of These Nights
Everything Is Different Now
New York Minute
Everybody Knows
The End of the Innocence
Everybody Wants to Rule the World
The Last Worthless Evening
It Don’t Matter to the Sun
The Heart of the Matter
Dirty Laundry
The Boys of Summer
All She Wants To Do Is Dance
Life in the Fast Lane

Encore 1:

Hotel California
Desperado

Encore 2:

I Will Not Go Quietly
Please Come Home for Christmas

The highlights for me were New York Minute, Everybody Knows, The End of the Innocence, The Last Worthless Evening, The Heart of the Matter, I Will Not Go Quietly, and Please Come Home for Christmas. I love all of these songs, and had never heard any of them live so that’s what made them special for me.

When Don first spoke, his voice was extremely hoarse. My first thought was “good grief, his voice will never hold up through this show”. But, of course, I was wrong, and his voice actually got stronger as the night went on. I wonder how does he do that? lol A cute moment was that at the start of his first remark, somebody yelled “Don Henley” and he gave a little grin and said “yep, that’s my name”. He pretty much told the same stories that have been mentioned in the other reviews, so I won’t repeat them. There was one noteworthy moment though when he started into his remarks on politics, some guy immediately hollered several times “not the venue, not the venue”. Now, while I can appreciate that people don’t want to hear entertainers go on a political rant, in this case, I thought the guy acted like an extremely rude jerk. He started yelling before he even knew that Don was just going to tell a cute, funny joke. Don was very diplomatic – he just ignored him and continued with his story about the 1968 election between Nixon and Humphrey. However, in true Henley fashion, a few songs later, Don zinged the guy by saying something like “to the guy who was shouting ‘not the venue’ – I KNOW where I am”. This got a huge applause from the audience. Needless to say, nothing more was heard from the ‘jerk’ for the remainder of the evening. However, being that Norfolk is a huge military town, before Desperado, Don told a story about his father and uncle both serving in the military, and he dedicated the song to them and all the men and woman of the military who protect us. This garnered another huge round of applause.

Overall, I really enjoyed the show and Don Henley is an amazing singer – pure and simple. As far as the suit – no comment! :twisted: However, I thought a lot of the audience just did not seem to be into the show on this evening. Many of the people around me appeared to be familiar with only the big hits, which surprised me since I thought I’d be surrounded by hardcores. However, I agree with those that said the first part of the show was a bit too slow. The energy level didn’t really seem to pick up until 2/3’s of the way through. Maybe Don was responding to the crowd, but I would have like to have seen him try to engage the audience a bit. I never saw him really smile or make any eye contact the entire night. But, I don’t want this criticism to sound negative – as I said before, the show very enjoyable. I am so glad I went and feel fortunate that I was able to finally see a Don solo show.

Troubadour
11-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks so much for the write-up, Dreamer. Glad you got to see a solo show, and that you enjoyed it. I loved the "yep, that's my name" comment. Too cute!

eaglesvet
11-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Hey Kay...I had missed in the Pre-Conc that you had obtained such excellent seats! Way to go! I'm glad you've completed your "Eagles Solo Bucket List"--what an accomplishment! I never did attempt the AC journey when Don sold out down the Shore ...I wasn't sure enough that any comps would be available by the time I got there after work, so I just didn't take that chance. Hopefully, next time.

BTW, when was your Joe experience? I don't think I've heard anything about that, have I?

luvthelighthouse
11-21-2009, 11:04 PM
You have to hand it to Don, "I know where I am"... that's funny! Ah hem...no mention of my new Rock God Peter Thorn (foot tapping) what's up w/that?

In regard to Don's voice... this has been going on for the past year. Many people who see Don solo or the Eagles comment on how Don and often Glenn don't sound right early on. I know I mentioned this before, I think someone said I was probably off my mark, but I really don't think I am... I think it's because they do not warm up their vocals prior to taking the stage.

It's been noted in the past that both Joe and Timothy do warm up exercises. IMO, this is something that Don and Glenn should consider... because by the end of the show, both sound great! Actually, it was in the radio interview that TBS just recently did for Expando... he said, (paraphrasing) "I can't just come out cold anymore. I have to warm up"... or something to that effect, that at his age, he can't sound like he did 20 years ago.

I'm happy you had a good time and finally got to see all the boys solo. Thanks for the review!

DonFan
11-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Sounds like a wonderful show, Dreamer--glad you enjoyed it. Wish I could've been there beside you!

Koala
11-22-2009, 04:22 AM
Thanks, Dreamer, it sounds you had a fantastic time!

carol7lynn
11-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Way to go Kay! Glad you were able to score such primo seats.:thumbsup:

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGal:nahnah:

Ive always been a dreamer
11-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks everyone. DF, I thought about you on Friday. I really wished you had been able to go to the show with me. You would have been in heaven, I'm sure! :nod:

And Eva, maybe you'll get another chance to see Don. He was in Atlantic City a few years ago, and I wanted to go see him then, but wasn't able to go. So I was hoping that I hadn't blown my only chance, and it felt like this show in Norfolk was a long time coming. As far as me seeing Joe, that was in AC as well. Even though I totally missed out on an opportunity to meet Joe, the show was great. If you are interested, I wrote all about it here ...

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=482

ltl, I have to confess that I paid very little attention to Peter. :oops: As I said earlier, I was focused pretty intently on Don throughout the show. I would occasionally glance at the band members, but not that much. I must say that Peter is a hottie though albeit a bit young for me. :wink: And with regard to the voice warmups, you could be right. I don't know if Don or Glenn do any pre-show warmups or not, but it does seem that they sometimes struggle at the beginning of shows. I was feeling sorry for Don in Norfolk because he was clearly struggling, especially at first.

Stars
11-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Dreamer, so glad you had such a great time! Thanks for the wonderful write up!:thumbsup:

sodascouts
11-23-2009, 02:50 AM
Thanks for the review, Dreamer. I'm glad you finally got to see all four Eagles solo!

Prettymaid
11-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the fair and balanced review Dreamer. Now you can say you've seen all four Eagles solo. Who woulda thought!

TimothyBFan
11-23-2009, 09:13 AM
But Dreamer, I really want to know what you think of his attire! :hilarious: Thanks for the review. So glad you were able to see everything even while standing up.:fear:

I guess I missed the whole Joe experience also. Thanks for the links to it. I was almost in tears for you while reading about the M & G.

Fan_For_Life
11-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Thanks Dreamer for sharing your Don exerience. One day I may get to see another of the Eagles' solo shows. Hopes-up w/ fingers crossed.

Brooke
11-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Dreamer, great review. Very cool that you've seen all four of the guys solo! :thumbsup:

DonFan
12-05-2009, 09:12 PM
http://hamptonroads.com/2009/11/don-henleys-show-odu-was-absolutely-brilliant

A terrific writeup of Don's show, plus fabulous pictures!

Britt
12-05-2009, 09:20 PM
What beautiful photos of Don!:angel:

sodascouts
12-05-2009, 10:19 PM
I especially like the photo with the "special effects"!

Koala
12-06-2009, 07:12 AM
Damn, the link don´t work by me!

Troubadour
12-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Aw, it was lovely to read an unashamedly positive write-up for once! I adore the photos. Absolutely gorgeous. :inlove:

Britt
12-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Thanks for posting! I especially love the 2 last ones of Don!!! YUMMY!!!!!!:thumbsup::love::xoxo::grooving:

Glennhoney
12-06-2009, 08:11 PM
...I would gladly help Glenn and Don with their "warm ups" before their shows..:)