PDA

View Full Version : Bernie Leadon in the Press - Retro Edition!

sodascouts
12-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Found this old mention of Bernie in People Magazine's archives.

People Magazine - June 30, 1975

BIRD ON WING
Even as Ronald Reagan is out building a base for 1976, his conservative homilies are not scoring too well at home. His daughter Patti, 21, an aspiring singer and sometime waitress, was spotted arm-in-arm in residential Laurel Canyon with mustachioed banjoist Bernie Leadon and thence in Europe on tour with his country-rock group, the Eagles. Leadon and his four cohorts aren't exactly Boy Scouts (leader Glenn Frey once confessed, "I'm in the music business for the sex and narcotics"). Their outlook is also clearly antiestablishment—in concert, they sometimes facetiously dedicate their hit title Already Gone to the Grand Old Party of Patti's father.

Freypower
12-02-2009, 11:31 PM
They got one thing right in that article.

I'll leave you to guess which part. :partytime:

Actually, apart from that it is somewhat ironic, given that Bernie left the Eagles at the end of 1975.

TimothyBFan
12-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Leadon and his four cohorts aren't exactly Boy Scouts (leader Glenn Frey once confessed, "I'm in the music business for the sex and narcotics").

A statement I'm sure Glenn is so proud of now when his children read it. :hilarious:

Deacon: "Dad I think I want to get into music for the chicks."
Glenn: "There's plenty of other reasons to get into music."
Deacon: "Yeah, like you said, the drugs too."

sodascouts
12-03-2009, 12:04 PM
LOL!!

Troubadour
12-05-2009, 02:23 PM
LOL, Willie!

GettheLeadonOut!!
12-07-2009, 10:21 PM
I wonder what pissed off Bernie more, getting hounded by the press for his relationship with Patti or reading the words "leader Glenn Frey" in print. I believe the next beer he cracked got poured on Glenn's head....

sodascouts
03-27-2014, 09:56 PM
Another old Bernie article - this one's from his time with Run C&W:

"Bernie Leadon's Life in the Past Lane" - Gainesville Sun (Jul. 15, 1994) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1320&dat=19940715&id=1M0zAAAAIBAJ&sjid=fOoDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3834,4080190)

GettheLeadonOut!!
04-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Another old Bernie article - this one's from his time with Run C&W:

"Bernie Leadon's Life in the Past Lane" - Gainesville Sun (Jul. 15, 1994) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1320&dat=19940715&id=1M0zAAAAIBAJ&sjid=fOoDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3834,4080190)

That's a great article. Filled in a few blanks and always interesting to hear the Eagles story from Bernie's perspective. As always, he proves himself graceful and a class act.

One interesting tidbit was that Felder, who Bernie was 100% instrumental in getting him the Eagles gig (and his career off the ground for that matter), didn't reach out to him for over 10 years after he was let go (Don't remember reading that in Felder's book!)

sodascouts
04-08-2014, 08:45 PM
Yeah, I thought that was weird, too! Out of sight, out of mind, I guess!

Ive always been a dreamer
04-08-2014, 09:03 PM
I definitely agree, GTLO - Bernie is a class act indeed. I have so enjoyed watching him interact with the rest of the band at the shows I've attended on this tour. I hope he's signed on to stay for a long time yet!

UndertheWire
04-09-2014, 06:34 AM
"If it's not your band, it's a little like signing up for a stint in the military," he says with chuckle. "Your orders appear in the mail; you're ordered to Des Moines."I liked that. My guess is that's how he views the HotE tour. Also, I was surprised to learn he was in the army.

I wish he would give an in depth interview now. There are lots of small parts of video and written interviews with him and he seems to have a detachment and perspective that make them worthwhile. I'd trust his accounts over any of the other former and current band members.

BTW, Felder does mention the estrangement in his book, but with quite a different spin.

GettheLeadonOut!!
04-09-2014, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I had no idea he had a stint in the military either. He has always had such a great attitude towards his whole stint in the Eagles, remembering the good times over the bad. The way he accepted the fact that he wasn't invited back for the '94 reunion in stride and never harbored bitterness or resentment towards any of the guys. He even had the good grace to attend that tour and visit with them backstage as recounted in Felder's book. As a fan, having him back on stage with the Eagles is such a delight, it really brings the band full circle.

UndertheWire
04-10-2014, 06:03 AM
I agree with all of that. Bernie being on the tour is what gave me the extra incentive to see them. Now if he would sing Bitter Creek, it would be perfect.