PDA

View Full Version : PBS TV

MikeA
12-07-2009, 09:38 AM
I'm having to make it a part of my routing on Sunday nights! Last night, I stumbled onto another really good back to back pair of programs.

The first was ANOTHER documentary on Peter, Paul & Mary. Different performances than they had last Sunday night. This one had Richie Havens with Peter Yarrow singing "The Great Mandella" along with staples "If I had a Hammer" and a couple of others. These programs are flashing me back to childhood of 45 or 50 years ago! Good Stuff.

Following this PP&M show, was an hour commerating the closing of The Filmore West. Performances by "Cold Blood", "Grateful Dead", and "The Elvin Bishop Group". Elvin Bishop was one of the commentators begging for money (you know how PBS is...annoying!) but the segment of his performance was of the song that Stevie Ray Vaughan classic "The Sky Is Cryin'". FANTASTIC!

I can recommend flipping through the listings for PBS lineups on Sunday nights! Sometimes, you can catch some gems!

sodascouts
12-07-2009, 05:53 PM
I also really like PBS' "Centerstage" and "Soundstage" programs which feature concerts by the likes of Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks, and Lindsey Buckingham!

TimothyBFan
12-08-2009, 10:33 AM
And Austin City Limits (not always, but sometimes) with acts like Stevie Ray and Jonny Lang.

Oh and Antique Road Show! :)

MikeA
12-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Yeah, Austin City Limits! That's where I first heard of "Band of Heathens"! I have a video (can't remember if it's DVD or VHS) of SRV and one of his appearances on Austin City Limits. I never tire of going slackjawed watching SRV play that Fender!

flood insuranceman
12-21-2009, 01:54 PM
I was just in Austin and found all these DVDs of previous Austin City Limits performances. It's a great find. Drive-By Truckers finally got a spot on the show, too.
ken