PDA

View Full Version : The Rolling Stones

EagleLady
12-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Not sure if there is already a thread about them, but I have been getting into their music a lot more lately.

TimothyBFan
12-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Oh geesh EL -you don't want to get me started on this group. :hilarious: I don't know how much you've gotten into them so far but my favorite albums for them are Some Girls (good good stuff here/not a bad track on this one-includes Beast Of Burden, Shattered, Miss You, the male ego at it's best on the title track & the honky tonk Girl With Far Away Eyes), Sticky Fingers (Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, Dead Flowers & Sister Morphine) and Through The Past, Darkly- Big Hits Vol. 2 (great old psychedelic stuff-She's A Rainbow, Mother's Little Helper, 2000 Light Years From Home, Honky Tonk Woman and the list goes on...).

This is my husband's favorite band for a reason. I've always liked them but once I met my husband there was no escaping their music!

Freypower
12-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Here we go again, Willie. We can now oscillate between Zeppelin and the Stones. I will do my usual trick of 'Top 10' stuff.

Albums (I don't have any of the early 60s albums):

1. Sticky Fingers (perfect)
2. Beggars Banquet
3. Tattoo You (this might surprise some but there isn't a bad track on it)
4. Let It Bleed
5. Some Girls
6. A Bigger Bang (the most recent album is full of great songs)
7. Steel Wheels
8. Voodoo Lounge
9. Exile On Main Street (overrated)

I can in fact only do 9. I have Goats Head Soup but it isn't good enough to be on this list. I have scattered tracks from other albums like Undercover, Emotional Rescue as well as High Tide & Green Grass & Through the Past Darkly but I don't include compilations in Top 10s.

My Top 20 songs is easy, however:

1. Sympathy For The Devil
2. Honky Tonk Women
3. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
4. Brown Sugar
5. Bitch
6. Start Me Up
7. Street Fighting Man
8. Angie
9. Wild Horses
10. Paint It, Black
11. Jumpin' Jack Flash
12. Let It Bleed
13. Gimme Shelter
14. Dead Flowers
15. You Got The Silver
16. Let's Spend The Night Together
17. Sweet Virginia
18.19th Nervous Breakdown
19. Miss You
20. Rain Fall Down (the most recent song)

I could add others because there are so many of their songs that I love so much. I got to see them in 1995 - they were awesome. The big screens showing the audience singing 'you make a grown man cry'!

EagleLady
12-07-2009, 06:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_NFjWgJyaU

I love Start Me Up.

EagleLady
12-07-2009, 06:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrW0gjdr6O0&feature=related

Only interviewing three of them here but Wow.

TimothyBFan
12-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Kudos to you Julie for even trying to name favorites because I am un able to do that because there are so many and they are constantly changing for me. And what you said about not including compilations--Larry & I were just joking about how many of those the Stones have at the record show the other day. We have finally quit buying those because every time we think we have them all, we find one we didn't know about. I did, however, include Through The Past Darkly in my top 3 above because I just love it-the early stuff and I love the original album cover in the hexagon shape.

And when listing songs on my favorite albums, how did I leave Bitch off of Sticky Fingers? Geez!!! Thanks for reminding me of that one.

Hubby has seen them several times but I've only seen them once in December of 1989 for Steel Wheels. I remember the month because I had just found out I was pregnant 2 weeks prior to that. What a show it was. One of the things I remember the most about it was when they kicked into Honky Tonk Women, these gigantic blow up dolls (probably 2 stories high each) appeared on each end of the stage. I also remember Mick running around like a maniac up and down ramps, back and forth over the stage. I realized why the guy has always been so skinny. :hilarious:

Brooke
12-08-2009, 11:53 AM
I also remember Mick running around like a maniac up and down ramps, back and forth over the stage. I realized why the guy has always been so skinny. :hilarious:

He's still just as thin, too! He was on the R & R Hall of fame concert and really boogied with Fergie!

I love the Stones, too! I've only seen them once, for their most recent tour, but what a show! As far as picking favorites, it's so hard! Angie, Wild Horses, and Gimme Shelter would be at the top of the list.

EagleLady
12-19-2009, 02:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohEz13V1Vhk&feature=related

This man could be mistaken for a pirate most days :hilarious:

TimothyBFan
12-21-2009, 04:37 PM
I loved all the Pirates movies but I couldn't wait for the last one after I found out about Keith playing Jack Sparrow's dad in it. LOVED IT!!!!

Hey EL--For such a young thing, I of course have noticed how much you love the old bands and how you seem to keep discovering new ones....off topic for this thread but how do you feel or have you discovered Pink Floyd yet? I've been meaning to ask you and wonder if I'd be the only one to talk about them if a new thread was added. Thoughts?

EagleLady
12-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Not really. They're ok, but not my cup of tea

EagleLady
12-21-2009, 04:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNiuJX0DXRk

Fan_For_Life
12-21-2009, 05:01 PM
My favorite Stones song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP2VyquMAaM&feature=player_embedded

EagleLady
12-22-2009, 02:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kx9r8JaoNE&feature=related

EagleLady
12-31-2009, 04:19 PM
I picked up this book yesterday at BooksAMillion About The Stones at Altamont

EagleLady
01-04-2010, 06:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EuELzV4U7w&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRCGmHhX2ho&feature=related

TimothyBFan
01-05-2010, 10:29 AM
I couldn't remember if you had posted this before EL. I love this from Keith.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4B2lJgeuFc

EagleLady
01-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Thanks for posting Willie. I get a kick out of his bands name, Expensive Winos

WalshFan88
11-16-2010, 06:31 AM
My 2nd favorite band after the Eagles. Keith Richards is my favorite rhythm guitar player. His riffs are very recognizable due to the tuning he uses and the fact he plays with only 5 strings, tuned like a banjo. Almost all of the Stones songs are done this way (Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Woman, Start Me Up, Tumbling Dice, etc). I have a guitar just for Keith riffs. I still haven't seen the Stones in concert, but I hope to as soon as they go out on tour!

Freypower
11-16-2010, 07:17 PM
I got the Ladies & Gentlemen BluRay for my birthday & watched a couple of tracks - it was a bit sloppy.

WalshFan88
11-16-2010, 09:00 PM
I got the Ladies & Gentlemen BluRay for my birthday & watched a couple of tracks - it was a bit sloppy.

Thanks for letting me know, I was gonna get that one.

MikeA
11-16-2010, 11:14 PM
I think that is Jaggers that prevents me from listing the Stones higher. I don't know what it is about Jaggers. His vocals are okay but his antics on stage don't do it for me. And besides, when I was 19 to 20, most of the girls thought I looked like him. That didn't do me any harm <LOL>

Richards and Taylor though, yeah, really get into them.

WalshFan88
11-17-2010, 01:05 AM
I think that is Jaggers that prevents me from listing the Stones higher. I don't know what it is about Jaggers. His vocals are okay but his antics on stage don't do it for me. And besides, when I was 19 to 20, most of the girls thought I looked like him. That didn't do me any harm <LOL>

Richards and Taylor though, yeah, really get into them.

The Mick Taylor era is my fav for the Stones.

TimothyBFan
02-16-2011, 11:02 AM
Thought I would post this video of Mick from the Grammys the other night. He's amazing. The way he runs and struts around at his age. Unbelievable!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr6tAYXC4DA

Check out this comment. The one I saw this morning on his website worked but if this is so....they really are going a bit extreme aren't they?

"Mick is still the man - few can outperform him...still a living legend ! btw Mick posted a youtube video of this performance on his personal website & when you click on it you see that the Grammys blocked it for copyright infringement. They blocked his own performance! Really sad & pathetic."

EagleLady
02-16-2011, 11:10 AM
I saw him too. He has a lot of energy.

Brooke
02-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Yeah, me too. I thought he did great!

sodascouts
02-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Willie, record companies and other broadcasting entities pull down the artists' own material all the time. For instance, Mick did the performance, but CBS owns the distributions rights... so they can pull it down if they want. Sorry, Mick!

I'm Jack Tempchin's friend on Facebook. He's always posting YouTube links to the Eagles performing the songs he wrote or cowrote and nevertheless, as we all know, they all get taken down.

Annabel
02-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Snap Soda, I'm his friend too and I've found that with Jack's Eagles video links stuff. You have to be quick or it's gone. :rolleyes:

Good vieo of Mick. He's far to energetic for me. :laugh: I noticed Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman bopping away to Mick there. :rockon:

The Grammys are being screened here tonight at 10pm on ITV 2. Will be interesting to see how much we get.

WalshFan88
02-17-2011, 06:15 AM
I saw Mick's performance on the Grammy's, I thought it was great.

I'm hoping they will do a tour here soon. After all, they are my 2nd favorite band of all time.

Annabel
02-18-2011, 07:21 AM
I recorded the Grammys when it was shown here a few days after the event and then watched it with my daughters yesterday. They couldn't believe Mick Jagger was 67. :laugh: But they enjoyed him. :thumbsup:

tequila girl
05-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Before anyone gets excited....this is not news - just an observation.........:shrug:
I was out on my patio earlier (weeding) and looked up to my next door but one neighbours house and saw "fading" tulips in her window....

I immediately thought of "Send me dead flowers" and when I checked it out later on youtube there's Mick playing guitar! I'm not a huge fan of the stones........ but - I don't remember seeing Mick play guitar too often!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-kjIfx1aQo

WalshFan88
05-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Before anyone gets excited....this is not news - just an observation.........:shrug:
I was out on my patio earlier (weeding) and looked up to my next door but one neighbours house and saw "fading" tulips in her window....

I immediately thought of "Send me dead flowers" and when I checked it out later on youtube there's Mick playing guitar! I'm not a huge fan of the stones........ but - I don't remember seeing Mick play guitar too often!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-kjIfx1aQo

Mick plays guitar on some of the more "acoustic" tracks like Let It Bleed, Dead Flowers, etc. But IMO I prefer him to be moving around singing and doing his antics and leave the guitar work to Keith (and Ronnie)... :D

Freypower
05-01-2011, 06:55 PM
I love watching Mick plays guitar.

He also plays guitar on a lot of their recordings.

Topkat
03-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Rolling Stones may have to CANCEL 50th Anniversary Tour due to Keith Richards health!! Oh NOOOOOO

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rolling-stones-no-2012-tour/

TimothyBFan
03-15-2012, 08:40 AM
WOW---I hope it all turns out ok!! Poor Keif!! I'd hate to see something this huge not happen because of their health. Good luck!

Topkat
03-15-2012, 09:05 AM
Let's face it, The Stones are getting old. I think he is ok, but just not able to stand the riggers of a world tour. I imagine it is pretty grueling to travel like that & perform. I was planning to see this tour because I'm pretty sure that this would be the last. I mean 50 years!!! WoW talk about staying power.
Hopefully they will do a few dates, maybe just not as big a tour as they were originally planning!

Brooke
10-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Looks like they are gonna make it happen! Only 4 shows? Maybe more will follow next year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19945821

prayfordaylight
10-16-2012, 04:38 PM
I'm sure more will. Hopefully those won't have ridiculous ticket prices (Newark starts at $115 after fees).

Freypower
10-16-2012, 04:43 PM
I have heard that the top price at the O2 Arena is 1000 pounds. But that story says 406 pounds. It's still very expensive for England.

WalshFan88
10-16-2012, 05:18 PM
I'm waiting for a tour next year (hopeful!). If they come to Chicago or St. Louis, I'm there.

Brooke
10-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Me, too, Austin. Hopefully they won't conflict with the Eagles though!

lizzyplays
10-17-2012, 10:25 AM
I've been waiting for this! Was fortunate enough to see them in the 80's, but definitely want to see them again before they retire... not that they ever will! :hilarious:

Tiffanny Twisted
10-17-2012, 10:46 AM
I"m sorry there just are some things that are important.....and paying for concert tickets great ones is rifght up there with morgage and lights and gas in the car. some people et that and some people just dont and I feel sorry for those who dont get it ...lol

Ive always been a dreamer
10-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Well tt - try not to grieve too hard for me, but I don't really have much desire to see the Stones. Although I appreciate their greatness and have an immense respect for their longevity, I've never been a huge fan of their music. Therefore, I can't justify paying their tickets prices to see a show where I don't love the music. Only one band gets that much money out of me. :grin:

Tiffanny Twisted
10-17-2012, 07:01 PM
Hey I agree ..I'd only pay to see the eagles. I am not a stones fan myself but If a stones fan wanted to go they should and have the best seats and best concert experience just like we do as eagles fans. Thats what I ment. If you love a band , life is too short and you should go and see who you love and do what you love.jmo:inlove:

TimothyBFan
10-18-2012, 08:26 AM
I"m sorry there just are some things that are important.....and paying for concert tickets great ones is rifght up there with morgage and lights and gas in the car. some people et that and some people just dont and I feel sorry for those who dont get it ...lol

WOW--seriously? I'm afraid I totally disagree with you here and hope that you might actually be joking. There is NO concert ticket that's ever been worth enough to me to rank it up there as being as important as our mortgage payment, our car payments or our utilities. And anyone who knows me, knows how much my music means to me but there's no way in hell I'd ever let my other bills slide just to buy a concert ticket. My priorities are a bit different I guess.

This is my husband's favorite group and we might have to watch to see what happens and hit another of their shows. We've seen them a couple of times (in the 80s and forward) and he saw them once in the 70s before we met while still in high school. They put on a fantastic show. Mick Jagger freaking amazes me how much energy he still has!!!

Brooke
10-18-2012, 10:18 AM
TBF, I totally agree!

I've only seen the Stones once, but it was an amazing show and I'd love to get to see them again, but with the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac possibly touring next year too, we'll just have to see if there's any money left for them!

sodascouts
10-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Yeah, my thing about concerts is that the good ones are important enough to spend a lot of my extra money on, post-bills. Like, I go to concerts instead of taking a vacation or buying a new computer, luxuries like that.

You know, I had an online acquaintance - a Stevie Nicks fan - who spent all her money on going to Stevie's shows and actually had her electricity turned off as a result. Another Stevie fan who posted on the main FM message board said that he quit his job in order to take time off to travel around and see multiple shows. One of the girls I travel with to see Stevie is spending money she doesn't have, I suspect. She's been unemployed for a year and living off of her parents, but still she's spending thousands of dollars a year to see Stevie and go to events around the country. She's younger and I've talked to her about how even Stevie isn't worth getting into a lot of debt. I actually said, "I'm sure Stevie wouldn't want you to bankrupt yourself for her" (ok, that was schmaltzy, but I figured it might get through to her)! She agreed and assured me she's got it under control, and I guess in the end it's none of my business. Recently, though, she admitted her parents have threatened to cut her off, so I think it might be coming back to bite her!

As much fun as they're having, I'm not sure they're making wise decisions, to put it mildly. They can do what they want with their money, of course, but there are occasions when a person should exercise restraint. I know, it's easy for me to say - I can afford to travel around as a single girl without the expenses of family - but I believe if I had those expenses, I'd take care of them first.

While it's been my observation that even hardcore Eagles fans are a lot less extreme than hardcore Stevie fans as a rule, I heard a story - but don't have firsthand knowledge - about a lady whose husband used her obsession with the Eagles as grounds for a divorce.

We love our guys, but you gotta keep it in perspective.

But I know, as excited as TT gets, her hubby makes sure they don't overspend on concert tickets - aren't I right, TT? ;)

Brooke
10-19-2012, 11:17 AM
How about these ticket prices?! OMG!

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=768461

I for one, won't be going! :shock:

Brooke
10-19-2012, 04:31 PM
And they must not mind YT too much! Here's their new song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPFGWVKXxm0&feature=youtu.be&j=19565641&e=glspratt@hotmail.com&l=2418883_HTML&u=340890048&mid=10033865&jb=0&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Doom+And+Gloom+Lyric+Video+-+screen+grab&utm_campaign=19565641&utm_umg_et=71593898

sodascouts
10-19-2012, 07:04 PM
How about these ticket prices?! OMG!

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=768461

I for one, won't be going! :shock:

Are you talking about the normal ones or the reseller (ie scalper) ones?

And I like the new song! I wasn't planning on buying the new GH album but maybe I will after all... or at least this song off of iTunes.

Yay Rolling Stones!

Tiffanny Twisted
10-19-2012, 07:20 PM
WOW--seriously? I'm afraid I totally disagree with you here and hope that you might actually be joking. There is NO concert ticket that's ever been worth enough to me to rank it up there as being as important as our mortgage payment, our car payments or our utilities. And anyone who knows me, knows how much my music means to me but there's no way in hell I'd ever let my other bills slide just to buy a concert ticket. My priorities are a bit different I guess.

This is my husband's favorite group and we might have to watch to see what happens and hit another of their shows. We've seen them a couple of times (in the 80s and forward) and he saw them once in the 70s before we met while still in high school. They put on a fantastic show. Mick Jagger freaking amazes me how much energy he still has!!!

Ok maybe you missunderstood.
Since I dont drink and I dont smoke and I dont travel ...take vacations, I enjoy good music and good concerts.I would rather have a good nite out with my JAhh and have great memories together than an "item" as a gift. WE DON TO LET OUR BILLS SLIDE...THEY ARE PAID' I was referring to after they are paid.
I was just saying JMO that I love good music and life is short. AFTER MY BILLS ARE PAID......my choice is good music. I am a blessed woman and my concert buddy JAHH and I enjoy the same music. But sometimes , YOU JUST HAVE TO DO IT.. AND HAVE FUN.
Yes and Nancy is right ...He keeps me in line. If it were my choice , I would go ILAA or whatever it is called and be right in the first row...but our concert budget has to get divided by two so......
So I try and be good...I really do but I 'm a girl who just wants to have fun"

Topkat
10-19-2012, 10:50 PM
I'm not shocked at the prices on the Stones concert...Hey, front row for the Eagles is $995. right, so why wouldn't the Stones have high prices. Let's face it, for these guys, this is probably going to be the last tour...I mean 50 years.
I have seen them in the 80's & the 90's, & would love to see this tour. It's now or never. The Stones are legends. I mean that little twit Beiber probably has very high price tickets & he's been around for 2 minutes!
People will pay whatever to see them. Mick did SNL recently & he was still rocking his skinny ass off!! :spin::spin:

Brooke
10-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Are you talking about the normal ones or the reseller (ie scalper) ones?

And I like the new song! I wasn't planning on buying the new GH album but maybe I will after all... or at least this song off of iTunes.

Yay Rolling Stones!

The scalper ones! Wow! :shock:

I like the song too! :thumbsup:

Freypower
10-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Apparently the Stones played Route 66 in a show in Paris. I wonder what made them choose that?!!:thumbsup:

http://www.rollingstones.com/2012/10/25/the-rolling-stones-play-surprise-gig-in-paris/

Brooke
10-26-2012, 09:13 AM
:cool:

Sounds like quite a show! Only 600 people? Amazing for them!

prayfordaylight
10-26-2012, 10:52 AM
That show sounds awesome.

Helped my dad get 2 tix for the 2nd Newark show. He decided to spring for one of the package deals. SO freaking expensive.

I'm glad they're doing that show PPV online. A lot more affordable for me heh.

Brooke
11-27-2012, 12:41 PM
I guess you can get in big trouble for going past curfew!

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=776690

Topkat
11-27-2012, 01:25 PM
A 10:30 curfew? Are they freekin' kidding me? I'm glad the Stones went past that. These curfew cut off times are Out of Control!!!
WTH???:confused:

zeldabjr
11-27-2012, 05:41 PM
I've never heard of anything so ridiculous!

prayfordaylight
11-28-2012, 08:49 AM
What's more ridiculous is the other show mentioned in the article. Springsteen was playing Hyde Park over the summer. Paul McCartney showed up and they CUT THE MICROPHONES at the end of the show. It pretty much guarantees there will never be another night concert in Hyde Park.

Topkat
11-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Yes, I heard about the Springsteen,McCartney thing. They actually pulled the plug on them during a song! When you have legendary rock stars on the stage, you don't pull the plug!! They better get a clue or nobody will attend these shows anymore.:-x:-x:-x
I saw the show on tv but if I was there, I would have been so pissed!

Brooke
11-28-2012, 12:01 PM
I guess we know why some of the Eagles concerts are shorter than normal, like at the casinos. They might get their mikes cut, so plan your show accordingly! :lol:

UK TimFan
11-28-2012, 12:47 PM
The curfew at at O2 on a Sunday evening is there for a very good reason.
The O2 in central London holds 20,000 people.
Madison Square Garden in central New York holds 18,200.
How do most people travel to MSG, and how late do the concerts/events there finish on a Sunday evening, and at what time on a Sunday evening do the NYC transport systems start to close?

MSG seems to be almost at the centre of a massive transport set-up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison_Square_Garden#Accessibility_and_transporta tion

Compare this to the 02, which has the grand total of one underground train line.
http://www.theo2.co.uk/location/transport.html
Plus eight buses services - most of which go south of the river and nowhere near any other major transport hub. The buses carry approximately 50 people.

I'm not sure how many people you can squash and squeeze into a underground (tube) carriage, nor whether there are 7 or 8 carriages per train. Let's be generous and say 100 people per carriage and 8 carriages per train.
On a Sunday evening trains depart from North Greenwich (the station for the 02) westward to Canary Wharf at 22.28, 22.31, 22.34 and 22.38. That's it.
The last eastbound train departs at the much later hour of 22.51.
How many people leaving a concert which finishes at 22.30 are going to be able to catch a train?

The O2 website mentions Lewisham as one of the destinations served by buses. Well, the last bus to there leaves the O2 at 22.44.

So basically the only reliable form of transport from the O2 at night is a car. How many cars do you need for 20,000 people, and how long will they take to leave the car park? (Always providing of course, that the 02 car park holds that many cars!) There is also the slight problem of how the 02 staff get home if there is no public transport. :)

I would add that the underground trains finish at the same time every night of the week. I haven't checked the buses.

UK TimFan
11-28-2012, 01:12 PM
The 'pulling the plug' on over-running concerts goes back to either Live8 in 2005, or a similar concert.
I remember watching it on TV, and we'd already been told that Joe Bloggs, the world and his wife would be performing. I think the concert was supposed to finish at 10, and at 8.30 there were about a dozen headline acts still to perform. (Though it had been obvious from about 5 o'clock that the concert was running behind schedule.:))

As it got nearer and nearer 'closing time' I wondered what they were going to do because if it was suddenly announced that the show was finishing without the real headliners appearing there would have been riots. (We British are usually quite placid, but just occasionally we boil over.)
The TV presenters were wittering on that the authorities (and the Government because Tessa Jowell who was minister of/for something at the time was also involved) were worried about people missing their trains home. I suspect that there was also a 'noise pollution' issue too, as there are quite a lot of houses surrounding Hyde Park.
In the end 'they' allowed the show to finish (but some people may have been told to perform one fewer song). I think quite a few people spent the night sleeping in Hyde Park because they'd missed their transport home.

I don't know if other concerts since then have over-run, and the authorities said 'the next one that over-runs get the plug pulled', or whether the organisers of all concerts have been told 'Your finishing time is ... and the plug will be pulled if you over-run.' Certainly, it would have been spelt out to the organisers - who I would have thought would have passed the message on to the performers.

prayfordaylight
11-28-2012, 01:21 PM
At least here in Washington, event organizers can pay for there to be extended train service after an event. It was a huge problem with baseball games running late this past season. Metro charges a base rate ahead of time for an extra hour and then if enough people use it, the organizer won't have to pay.

UK TimFan
11-28-2012, 01:22 PM
A 10:30 curfew? Are they freekin' kidding me? I'm glad the Stones went past that. These curfew cut off times are Out of Control!!!
WTH???:confused:
It's not the curfew times that are out of control.
It's the prima donna performers who think it's OK to keep their fans waiting 30 minutes past the scheduled 'start' time of a show.
Had the Stones got their butts on stage in reasonable time then they wouldn't have over-run. They should have been fined a million quid for taking the proverbial.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-28-2012, 01:41 PM
At least here in Washington, event organizers can pay for there to be extended train service after an event. It was a huge problem with baseball games running late this past season. Metro charges a base rate ahead of time for an extra hour and then if enough people use it, the organizer won't have to pay.

It was a big problem and still is, as it's hard to know if the event organizers have paid the money or not. Still, that's a 'curfew' imposed by the crappy transit system and not the venues. As far as I know, there are no curfews at any indoor venues in the DC area, and the curfews at the outdoor venues are 11pm regardless of what day of the week it is. Since the shows typically start at 7 or 7:30 in the outdoor venues, it's never been a problem that I know of. It's thunderstorms that make them end early.

As someone who lives less than five miles from an outdoor amphitheater that seats 23,000 people, I understand a curfew. Indoor not so much. As far as public transit, there are ZERO public transit options for the amphitheater close by regardless of the time of day.

Topkat
11-28-2012, 02:47 PM
It's the prima donna performers who think it's OK to keep their fans waiting 30 minutes past the scheduled 'start' time of a show.
Had the Stones got their butts on stage in reasonable time then they wouldn't have over-run. They should have been fined a million quid for taking the proverbial.

I don't know that the Stones were late at arriving, there could be technical clitches that cause a delay in the show, but I don't think 1/2 hour is that long. I don't think the Stones are divas, many much worse than that leaving fans waiting much longer. At least they played the show entirely. I heard it was 2 1/2 hours long

I never heard of transit shutting down at a certain time. NYC has trains 24/7. I would think that with a place as large as the O2 they could make transportation a bit easier being that there are so many people leaving a stadium that large.

EagleLady
11-28-2012, 03:12 PM

You have got to be kidding me. Just because The Stones were late that means they are divas? Traffic Problems or Flight Delays could have caused it!

VAisForEagleLovers
11-28-2012, 04:32 PM
I never heard of transit shutting down at a certain time. NYC has trains 24/7.

DC's Metro system shuts down at different times each day, depending if someone has paid them to stay open longer for a ballgame or concert or other event. So consequently, you can't rely on it and there is no place to park. During Nationals games this past summer, they'd actually announce and have on the jumbotron that those using Metro would need to leave right then, before the game was over.

I put myself out (obviously) to see the Eagles, but this is the main reason I don't go to other concerts. Too far, too difficult, too expensive, and seldom worth it.

UK TimFan
11-28-2012, 08:16 PM
You have got to be kidding me. Just because The Stones were late that means they are divas? Traffic Problems or Flight Delays could have caused it!
Any entertainer/band who doesn't go on stage at the scheduled time (to within a few minutes) is sticking two fingers up at their audience who have often paid hard-earned cash for their tickets, transport to and from the venue, and even baby-sitters. To cause people to possibly miss transport connections and get involved with further expense is just not on.

I would agree that sometimes there may be extenuating circumstances, but I would expect an apology to be announced along with the reason for the delay.

However to say that perhaps traffic problems (in a city in which the Stones have been playing for 50 years so they know what London traffic is like) or flight delays were responsible for this particular late start is just ridiculous. It's not as if they're on a world tour and had had to fly in from Australia that afternoon.

EagleLady
11-28-2012, 09:09 PM
Any entertainer/band who doesn't go on stage at the scheduled time (to within a few minutes) is sticking two fingers up at their audience who have often paid hard-earned cash for their tickets, transport to and from the venue, and even baby-sitters. To cause people to possibly miss transport connections and get involved with further expense is just not on.

I would agree that sometimes there may be extenuating circumstances, but I would expect an apology to be announced along with the reason for the delay.

However to say that perhaps traffic problems (in a city in which the Stones have been playing for 50 years so they know what London traffic is like) or flight delays were responsible for this particular late start is just ridiculous. It's not as if they're on a world tour and had had to fly in from Australia that afternoon.

I find it ridiculous that you're bashing them just because they were late! Good grief :worried:

UK TimFan
11-29-2012, 05:36 AM
I find it ridiculous that you're bashing them just because they were late! Good grief :worried:
If you carefully read the post of mine which you quoted you will see I said

Any entertainer/band who doesn't go on stage at the scheduled time (to within a few minutes) is sticking two fingers up at their audience who have often paid hard-earned cash for their tickets
so I am not 'bashing' the Stones in particular.
I was making a comment about anyone guilty of this crime. (I believe Madonna is another.)

Some years ago I remember Donny Osmond saying that in his early years of fame as a solo singer he was so fed up with singing 'Puppy love' that he used to mess around and sing the wrong words and notes when he was performing. Some wise person eventually pointed out to him that it was that song, bought by his fans, which had given him his wealth/lifestyle, and that he owed it to his fans to respect them by singing it properly.

Similarly, performers owe it to the fans who have bought their records, and often paid through the nose for concert tickets, to show them respect by getting their butts on stage on time. IMO.

Topkat
11-29-2012, 06:46 AM
Concert delays are not always the performers being late. There are many reasons a show can start late...transportation, security issues, technical problems. Things don't always run on an exact schedule. Shit happens, & it's not always the artists fault!

I still cannot understand that a venue as large as a place like the O2 cannot arrange for metro services to be extended a half hour or so? It takes a bit of time for a thousands of people to even leave the venue, so why isn't it arranged ahead of time to extend service when a huge concert is being held?? They make plenty of money off these concerts, so the people attending should be accounted for. The whole idea to end transit service so early is just ridiculous.

TimothyBFan
11-29-2012, 10:06 AM
This sheds a bit more light on the whole curfew thing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rolling-stones/9703568/The-Rolling-Stones-unsatisfying-end-for-slow-rolling-rock-band.html

Looks like transportation and the venue did their best to accommodate the concert goers.

Sounds like it was an AWESOME concert from guys who range in age from 63-76--doing 2 1/2 hours!! Go Stones!!!!!!

Brooke
11-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Very cool, too, that they let Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor play too! What a concert!

I do think they should have started on time, but who knows what the problem was! Could have been no telling what. We'll probably never know.

And I think that the public transport should have stayed open until the show was over, no matter how long that took.

UK TimFan
11-29-2012, 12:45 PM
I still cannot understand that a venue as large as a place like the O2 cannot arrange for metro services to be extended a half hour or so? It takes a bit of time for a thousands of people to even leave the venue, so why isn't it arranged ahead of time to extend service when a huge concert is being held?? They make plenty of money off these concerts, so the people attending should be accounted for. The whole idea to end transit service so early is just ridiculous.
Have you looked at a map to see where the O2 is sited?
If it was in central London, then the metro services would be running quite a bit later, with more stations nearby. It's mainly because of where it is that the services end so early. Almost at the end of the line in an eastbound direction, to say nothing of there being only the one metro line to serve it.

It's also not just a case of 'extend it half an hour or so'. It sounds as if they did extend it to a degree - no doubt based on the show finishing at the planned time of 10.30. If the Stones then cause the show to finish even later are (a) the metro staff and (b) other passengers on the train supposed to sit and be further inconvenienced?

It's worth remembering that the building which now houses the 02 was never built as a concert venue.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Dome#Background_to_the_Dome_project
After its initial use it was supposed to become a football stadium, where people would be leaving the ground by about 9.45 at the latest - and that probably no more than twice a month.
The irony is that the O2 seems to have taken over the arena aspect of the old London arena, which according to Wikipedia "never managed to become a financial success, in part due to its fairly poor transport access".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Arena

UK TimFan
11-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Very cool, too, that they let Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor play too! What a concert!

I do think they should have started on time, but who knows what the problem was! Could have been no telling what. We'll probably never know.

And I think that the public transport should have stayed open until the show was over, no matter how long that took.
So if you're a metro worker expecting to finish work at say midnight (which would be about the time if you were driving the last train westbound) or manning one of the stations en route until all the trains have passed through and passengers disembarked, what would your reaction be when suddenly told an hour before you were supposed to finish that you had to work at least an extra hour, possibly more, because some band had over-run their performance?

There is also the safety aspect. I know lorry drivers in the UK are limited to the numbers of hours they can legally drive in a day and they are not allowed to go even a minute over without severe consequences. The same might apply to the metro drivers. In which case if your shift is scheduled to end at midnight because you've reached your hours, then that's when it has to end.

UK TimFan
11-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Out of interest, as I know the Stones are back at the O2 tonight, I've just checked the Transport for London website.
I usually have praise for it, but I've now decided that it's useless. It all depends what departure time you enter as to what 'latest departure' you get. :brickwall::confused: to say nothing of :unimpressed:

It would appear that tonight there are westbound trains (i.e. going into central London) departing every 3-6 minutes until 11.54, and then there are three more trains after midnight.

This Sunday (2nd Dec) Elbow are due on stage at the O2 at 8.45, and trains depart westbound until 11.45. Which I would think would have been the case last Sunday.

I apologise for earlier giving misleading information about the trains, but the details were posted in good faith. They were also based on 'going to the end of the line, whereas when I searched for tonight's times I entered a shorter journey.

(I admit that I was gobsmacked with my previous findings about the trains running from the O2 allegedly finishing quite so early in the evening, and in fact I double-checked everything. It was unfortunate that every time I checked I pressed the wrong buttons, so I always got duff gen.)

Brooke
11-29-2012, 02:51 PM
So if you're a metro worker expecting to finish work at say midnight (which would be about the time if you were driving the last train westbound) or manning one of the stations en route until all the trains have passed through and passengers disembarked, what would your reaction be when suddenly told an hour before you were supposed to finish that you had to work at least an extra hour, possibly more, because some band had over-run their performance?

There is also the safety aspect. I know lorry drivers in the UK are limited to the numbers of hours they can legally drive in a day and they are not allowed to go even a minute over without severe consequences. The same might apply to the metro drivers. In which case if your shift is scheduled to end at midnight because you've reached your hours, then that's when it has to end.

I do see your points, UKTF.

Topkat
11-29-2012, 03:45 PM
UKTimFan

I guess you never had a job where you worked "overtime" ??Metro workers or any type of city workers are usually paid time and a half for "overtime" work.
I have sure worked extra hours at many of my jobs & was not paid overtime..
Here in the states some workers love it because they make extra money!

I just think a city as big as London could accommodate it, telling the workers they may have to work overtime.
I bet most people have at some point in their careers worked extra time on projects or a job that isn't finished EXACTLY on time.
My point is that it should have been planned better.

If these old rockers who are in their 70's can work late, I don't see it such an issue for some other people to work late

WalshFan88
11-29-2012, 06:02 PM
I saw parts on YouTube - they sounded great. The Stones are far from divas. They are one of the greatest rock n' roll bands in the world. To me it's Stones > Beatles... The Stones were true RnR. Beatles were too pop like for the most part for me. The Stones rocked.

We don't know what happened but it may have been out of their immediate control.

Very cool that they brought on some special guests (Jeff Beck the first night, Eric Clapton the second) and most importantly Mick Taylor (my personal fav "other" guitarist for the Stones) and Bill Wyman. Wish they would have played on more songs though.

UK TimFan
11-29-2012, 06:40 PM
I do see your points, UKTF.
Thank you Brooke. :)

Topkat
11-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Austin
Can you post the YouTube LINK PLEEEEASE????

I put in for tickets from Ticketmaster for the NY show They came up
Section 19 (this is 1st tier up- lower lever) Row 15
Price $$$$ 831.90 PER TICKET
Well, I guess I will be watching it on Pay Per View,
That is just too much...even for the STONES:fear::fear::fear::fear:

UK TimFan
11-29-2012, 06:58 PM
UKTimFan

I guess you never had a job where you worked "overtime" ??Metro workers or any type of city workers are usually paid time and a half for "overtime" work.
I have sure worked extra hours at many of my jobs & was not paid overtime..
Here in the states some workers love it because they make extra money!

I just think a city as big as London could accommodate it, telling the workers they may have to work overtime.
I bet most people have at some point in their careers worked extra time on projects or a job that isn't finished EXACTLY on time.
My point is that it should have been planned better.

If these old rockers who are in their 70's can work late, I don't see it such an issue for some other people to work late
Yes I have worked overtime; once even doing a double shift. But I was not doing a job which had restrictions on the amount of hours I could work in one day. Such as lorry drivers which I have already quoted.
I'm sure metro drivers do work overtime, but it's planned as in 'you're scheduled off work Tuesday and Wednesday, but you can work a shift on Tuesday if you like'. And is not sprung on them at a moment's notice.

And as for the old rockers working late - for heaven's sake they started late, and played for the planned time of two and a half hours. So they certainly weren't on overtime. Unlike the employees of the O2 who had to stay at work regardless.

WalshFan88
11-29-2012, 07:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7b4GwJ__X8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlmXXSyF8rk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzM7xWpMKLc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Peg0mTWO13Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2rBXTarAQk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NccqKFPJ-xI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5E6mwcoefE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QczfwoIMV9I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR3QW3JKWGY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGcWzY2A-34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6nkso-m6c8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqdmScKNE64

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDUwEYvMiH4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLL6Qi8fIxc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75ffD21_tpg

Brooke
11-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Save the hassle, watch it all right here! :hilarious:

Thanks for those Austin!

Topkat
12-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Heard the Stones really KILLED IT last night in Brooklyn. I couldn't get a ticket that wasn't under $600., so I couldn't go!
They did confirm that they will be doing a tour for 50th Anniversary in 2013, so maybe next time. I heard the show was on Pay per view, but I couldn't find it last night, unless it will air at a later date.

Stones also confirm they will appear at the 12 12 12 Concert on Wed.
Maybe my new friend Simon can get me in, because the scalpers are asking thousands for tickets! LOL

prayfordaylight
12-10-2012, 11:37 AM
The ticket prices are insane between Brooklyn and Newark. My dad sprung for one of the package deals for the 2nd Newark show and was upset he spent so much but when the StubHub prices kept rising, he felt a bit better. I'm sure since it's the last of the anniversary shows they'll pull out all the stops.

I'm hoping I can find a stream of the PPV show because I don't want to pay $40 to see it.

prayfordaylight
12-11-2012, 01:56 PM
The Black Keys, Lady Gaga and SPRINGSTEEN are showing up Saturday night. So jealous.

prayfordaylight
12-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Anyone else watching the PPV? It's been great so far. The band sounds fantastic. Lady Gaga just did Gimme Shelter and now John Mayer and Gary Clark Jr. are playing with them.

zeldabjr
12-16-2012, 02:31 AM
Anyone else watching the PPV? It's been great so far. The band sounds fantastic. Lady Gaga just did Gimme Shelter and now John Mayer and Gary Clark Jr. are playing with them.

wish I could have watched...would have loved to hear Lady Gaga doing Gimme Shelter!

Topkat
12-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Crap, I forgot it was on last night! Can I still see it? or was it just a one time thing?:-(
Maybe it will be a dvd?
I had seen Gary Clark Jr. on tv & he's amazing...wanted to see him play with the Stones

prayfordaylight
12-16-2012, 08:30 PM
I'm sure clips will leak on YouTube. And I would be surprised if there wasn't a DVD.

MaryCalifornia
12-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Here is an excellent article by Keith Richards in today's Wall St. Journal about the making of Street Fighting Man. I think our guitar players on the board will particularly enjoy it!

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303497804579238550068715652

Freypower
12-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Well, I managed to get a ticket for the Brisbane show on April 2. I could not get Sydney at all & as Brisbane went on sale an hour later I tried it. It's going to be an expensive exercise.

MaryCalifornia
12-15-2013, 10:25 PM
Hey, great news! Have a blast, FP! I last saw them in Baltimore about 7 years ago. Save up your pennies!

Brooke
03-18-2014, 04:24 PM
Looks like they have postponed their tour in Australia. I couldn't imagine that they would go ahead. What sad news for Mick especially.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/mick-jagger-scott-suicide-details/

Freypower
03-18-2014, 06:35 PM
It's very sad news & understandable they have postponed. I will keep my ticket in the hope they will reschedule.

Topkat
03-18-2014, 10:11 PM
Very sad & very shocking news. I'm sure the shows will be rescheduled, but I'm sure Mick would need some time to recover from this. I'm sure the fans will understand & Mick will be back when he's ready.

WalshFan88
03-18-2014, 11:11 PM
Very sad....:(

Freypower
04-14-2014, 11:12 PM
The tour has now been rescheduled & the Brisbane date is on Tuesday November 18. Now I have to rebook flights & hotels...

WalshFan88
04-15-2014, 12:27 AM
Glad it's been rescheduled FP.

They are definitely on my bucket list to see although as more time passes I'm starting to doubt that will happen.

Topkat
04-15-2014, 08:48 AM
FP, Hope the rebooking won't be too difficult & costly. It will all be worth it to see them. Last time they were here the tickets were just so expensive, I'm not sure I will ever get to see them again.

Freypower
04-15-2014, 07:02 PM
FP, Hope the rebooking won't be too difficult & costly. It will all be worth it to see them. Last time they were here the tickets were just so expensive, I'm not sure I will ever get to see them again.

No; it will be easy. I have a credit on my cancelled flight & I just rebook the hotel, which I don't pay for until I arrive.

Freypower
11-14-2014, 08:11 PM
Just reviving this because it's on (Ruby) TUESDAY! Really looking forward to it, although Brisbane will still be recovering from the G20 meeting which is taking place there this weekend.

(This is also a trial run for the Eagles next March; same venue).

I believe I will have the privilege of seeing Mick Taylor on a couple of songs.

MaryCalifornia
11-14-2014, 09:34 PM
Awesome, FP. You will have a great weekend looking forward to MICK and KEITH and CHARLIE and RONNIE (and Mick). You can scope out your seats for Eagles!

Love it when Keith sings!

WalshFan88
11-14-2014, 11:30 PM
I'm a Mick Taylor fan...I love Ronnie Wood, but I really prefer Taylor's guitar sound and those records. I'm more of a Let It Bleed/Sticky Fingers/Exile On Main Street fan than a Some Girls/Emotional Rescue/Tattoo You fan to put it simply. Same with Brian Jones (who I respect, but still prefer Taylor). I prefer Let It Bleed to Beggar's Banquet.

I loved Ronnie though in the Faces and with Rod Stewart (he played the Maggie May guitar solo). I LOVE the Faces.

Brooke
11-17-2014, 12:25 PM
Have a great time Fp! And you know we want to hear all about it too! :nod:

Topkat
11-17-2014, 01:23 PM
Have a great time! Can't wait to hear about it!:yay:

Freypower
11-18-2014, 11:33 PM
Well, I did have a great time, although the venue was hot & overcrowded with insufficient services to cater to 15000 people.

Jumpin' Jack Flash
It's Only Rock'n'Roll
You Got Me Rocking
Tumbling Dice
Silver Train (with Mick Taylor)
Bitch
Paint It, Black
Honky Tonk Women
You Got The Silver
Before They Make Me Run
Happy
Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)
Miss You
Gimme Shelter
Start Me Up
Sympathy For The Devil
Brown Sugar

You Can't Always Get What You Want
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (with Mick Taylor)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/10264092_10152945083518287_1479559753454862859_o.j pg

I will get the criticisms out of the way first. They were slow to start; the groove just wasn't there on the first four songs & I thought the mix was too loud; the guitars sometimes overwhelmed the vocals. Mick was somewhat slow to get going & got some of the earlier lyrics wrong. It's a mark against the Stones that none of the members do backing vocals; they rely on others. Unfortunately Lisa Fischer shrieked, not sang, Merry Clayton's part in Gimme Shelter & she & Bernard Fowler had more time down the front than they should have near the end. Also I like it when Mick plays guitar but he only played a Strat for one verse of Miss You & an acoustic for You Can't Always (which had a local choir helping out). Miss You relied too much on the audience singing along. The iconic sax in Bitch was barely audible.

I had voted for Respectable in the fan vote for what song people wanted them to play. Silver Train won & apparently this is only the second time they have played it since 1973. It isn't bad but it's too repetitive. And try as they might with You Can't Always.... I can't warm to it.

However, once they got to the magnificent Paint It, Black. for the most part they delivered. Honky Tonk Women was a joyous singalong (as were Start Me Up & Satisfaction). Keith's three songs were excellent, including my favourite of his, You Got The Silver, the closest they came to a ballad all night. Ronnie played pedal steel on Happy with a cigarette dangling from his fingers!

In terms of musicianship & watching them play, Midnight Rambler was the standout. Sir Mick rocked the harp & Taylor rocked the solo (Les Paul). It gave me a new appreciation for the song. Sympathy, their greatest song in my view, was excellent. Mick started it wearing a feather cape. The only problem is he leaves out the 'who killed the Kennedys' verse these days.

Most of the guitars were Teles & Les Pauls. I can't be more specific.

Mick ran round the huge ramp at top speed & occasionally Keith & Ronnie joined him. I was on the side in the circle & the occasional glimpse over towards my section was worth the wait. Mick is a phenomenon; he doesn't have an ounce of extra fat on him. He made a couple of jokes about our beloved (:cuss:) Prime Minister & what a fool he made of himself at the G20 summit which finished just before the Stones arrived. Charlie was Charlie. I can't believe what he does with such a small drumkit.

Great show, and if it wasn't perfect, that's the Stones for you. I like it, like it, yes I do!:guitar::smokin::pimp::nahnah:

http://wwwrollingstones.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/files/2014/11/7RwDiN6qYORt0NJuGqoMsmRBmMQYbqVFxVsMKiAnySs-1.jpg

MaryCalifornia
11-19-2014, 01:49 AM
Thanks, FP! Glad you had a good time.

I love You Got the Silver! and Before They Make Me Run!

In my opinion, Lisa has never done justice to her part on Gimme Shelter, not even 20 years ago. I don't expect it to sound EXACTLY like Merrie, but it could definitely be better than this version.

Yes, I always think of Timothy as skinny, and then there's Mick (and Ronnie's legs) - in another class of skinny altogether!

Maybe there'll be some upgrades in guest comfort in time for the Eagles show.

How long was the show, FP? With 19 songs, even some with extended jams or whatever, it doesn't seem like it could have been much more than 90 minutes?

Edit: Just came back to comment on this - "Mick was somewhat slow to get going & got some of the earlier lyrics wrong" - got lyrics wrong??! I mean, I can see forgetting what verse you're on a time or two, but this makes me think maybe at this stage of their careers, maybe they've done away with the whole "rehearsing" thing!

Brooke
11-19-2014, 10:32 AM
Fp, sounds awesome! And your pictures are to die for! Obviously you had a good seat! :thumbsup:

Topkat
11-19-2014, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the review FP. Sounds like it was a great show.
I am drying to see them again, & I hope to if possible this year. Last time they were in NYC, the tickets were just beyond expensive, where the cheapest seat you could get was about $800, & that was upstairs, not even a good seat.
I last saw them sometime in the 90's.
Glad you enjoyed it & got to see Mick Taylor too!

Oh, & LOVE THE PICS!!!:inlove:

Freypower
11-19-2014, 05:44 PM
Folks, no way did I take those photos. They came from the live blog on the Stones FB page. But they were so good I felt I had to include them.

I say Mick 'got lyrics wrong'... I thought in It's Only Rock'n'Roll & Tumbling Dice he got a couple of the lines out of order. I know the songs too well perhaps & he may prefer it the way he does it now.

It was two & a half hours. Remember a couple of the songs are long anyway (Rambler, Sympathy, Can't) and some songs with all the singing along went much longer than they do on the records.

Topkat
11-19-2014, 05:58 PM
I don't mind if they change it up a little & I love when they extend the songs & make them longer. They usually do that for shows,
They don't do an exact same show every time like the Eagles do & they are loose about some stuff but ...Mick is in good shape for his age. I mean isn't he over 70 & a great grandfather! They are all pretty old LOL To still rock out for 3 hours, you gotta give them credit! :wave:

Brooke
11-20-2014, 04:34 PM
Yeah, I don't mind if they change it up a bit either!

Rock on Stones!! :cool:

WalshFan88
10-08-2016, 08:07 PM
So the Stones have new album coming out of the blues covers they all started on back in the day.

The first one from the album is on iTunes and streaming, called "Just Your Fool".

I LOVE this song. They did a great job and the echo on the vocals and the analog sound shines through. They did it justice!

The album "Blue and Lonesome" comes out December 2nd.

WS82Classics
10-08-2016, 08:54 PM
Here's a topic I've wanted to revive. Have been reading a biography of founding member Brian Jones, and it really does pull the curtain back on some of the sordid goings on within the Stones camp. In particular, Mick Jagger comes off as a total scumbag in the way he dealt with both Brian and people who had any appearance of loyalty to him.

Have always preferred the Beatles to the over-rated Stones, but when you listen to the 60's and early 70's period of the band's music, you can easily see why they were so beloved.

Top 5 favourite Stones songs:

1. Jumpin' Jack Flash
2. Let it Bleed
3. Street Fighting Man
4. Honky Tonk Women
5. You Got the Silver

Freypower
10-08-2016, 09:24 PM
Here they are doing Come Together!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsv27YNj904

WalshFan88
10-08-2016, 10:42 PM
Here's a topic I've wanted to revive. Have been reading a biography of founding member Brian Jones, and it really does pull the curtain back on some of the sordid goings on within the Stones camp. In particular, Mick Jagger comes off as a total scumbag in the way he dealt with both Brian and people who had any appearance of loyalty to him.

Have always preferred the Beatles to the over-rated Stones, but when you listen to the 60's and early 70's period of the band's music, you can easily see why they were so beloved.

Top 5 favourite Stones songs:

1. Jumpin' Jack Flash
2. Let it Bleed
3. Street Fighting Man
4. Honky Tonk Women
5. You Got the Silver

I'm the opposite. I always preferred the Stones to the Beatles though I like quite a number a Beatles tunes but I prefer harder-edged music like the Stones, Zep, Aerosmith, AC/DC, GNR, etc. But, like you said about the Stones, you can't deny their impact, which was even bigger than the Stones. That said, I'm a Stones man.

Brian Jones was a sad, sad story. I do though prefer the Mick Taylor years to the years with Brian Jones or Ronnie Wood. I just like the music better from those years and I'm more into Mick's british blues type playing, where as Brian Jones was definitely more straight up old school blues. Mick was more in the Claptonian type of guitar playing which I dug a lot. That said, I appreciate both types.