PDA

View Full Version : Joe Walsh Joins the Eagles

Ive always been a dreamer
12-20-2009, 01:38 PM
Yep - the music world was rocked with the news 34 years ago today. I remember very well all of the 'buzz' surrounding Joe becoming an Eagle. There were many fans who thought Joe was committing career suicide by teaming up with these country rockers. Personally, I thought it was very cool. In retrospect, I know there are some fans out there that still don't like Joe being an Eagle, but IMHO, it turned out to be a pretty shrewd move for all parties involved.

Freypower
12-20-2009, 05:55 PM
When I heard Joe was joining the Eagles it really kicked everything off for me because I was so intrigued by what sort of music they would produce (although the only song I knew by Joe was Rocky Mountain Way). It's ironic that their very first tour after he joined was down here and as I have explained before, the leading rock magazine of the time wrote a sneering article about it, to which Joe himself responded (they published it with the cover line 'Sheep Killer Special - Eagle attacks RAM!)* So I was pretty excited during 1976 while waiting for the album to be released.

I wonder sometimes if Joe feels he was given the treatment he deserved as an icon in his own right, at least on albums, where he has only sung four songs to date.

* Rock Australia Magazine - now defunct but the only source of information I had on the band until 1979.

sodascouts
12-21-2009, 02:32 AM
Wow, what an epic day in Eagles History indeed! While they started to shift more towards rock with the hiring of Don Felder, it was the addition of Joe Walsh that sealed the deal.

Here's to you, Joe, and the day that you officially became an Eagle!

:cheers:

MikeA
12-21-2009, 09:12 AM
I do remember when I first heard that Walsh was joining the Air Force. I had just moved from Arkansas to Kansas in '76. A friend of mine up in Michigan knew I was pretty avid about the James Gang and Barnstorm. He called me to break the news to me (didn't have eMail back then!).

I had very mixed emotions. On one hand, Eagles were pretty soft-core with their Country-Rock style and I was just a tad skeptical about Joe's style fitting in with the Band. On the other hand, I figured that Joe would get more notice with an association with the Eagles.

So I rode the fence. Word was that Hotel California was being released and that one of the first concerts was to be in Wichita. After seeing Joe, rather subdued on stage with the big name band, I was disappointed. I think a lot of that may have just been him being the new kid on the block. Very different than his unleashed energy level I was used to experiencing with Mr. Walsh. But, with his presence on stage and on vinyl, the Eagles were somewhat "different" though at first I couldn't put my finger on what was different. Then my head cleared (LOL).....the Eagles were a legitimate ROCK BAND with a hint of country rather than a Country Band with a hint of Rock!

Thanks Joe.

Brooke
12-21-2009, 02:25 PM
They were talking about this on the radio yesterday and my husband and I were discussing it. We were shocked at the time and wondered why in the world Joe would want to join the Eagles! He was big on his own! And definitely not country rock! :shrug:

But we're sure glad now that he did! He's the life of the party! :thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
12-21-2009, 04:18 PM
I was not only an Eagles fan already but a Joe Walsh fan also so when the 2 merged, I was overjoyed yet, I admit, sceptical for the same reasons the rest of you mentioned. Once I heard HC I had no more doubts. He quickly became my favorite Eagle~~~well until 1979. ;)

Super Frey
12-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Here's to Joe:soda: Your the greatest!:rockguitar:

Prettymaid
12-22-2009, 08:52 AM
He quickly became my favorite Eagle~~~well until 1979. ;)

Why? What happened then? :shrug: :nahnah:

Freypower
12-26-2009, 07:04 AM
Tim joined the band in 1978 but TBF 'fell for him' when she saw the Long Run album cover, just as I 'fell' for Mr Frey.

TimothyBFan
12-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Yup :nod:

12-28-2009, 11:48 AM
This is a bit off topic, but Freypower mentioned that Tim joined the Eagles in 1978. I could be wrong, but I thought Tim was brought on in the fall of 1977. However, since the band wasn't touring, he didn't make his first public appearance with the band until the Rolling Stone softball game in May, 1978.

Freypower
12-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Yes, I think that's correct. :doh:

Midnight Visitor
12-20-2014, 12:17 PM
It's my FAVORITE Eagles anniversary!! Today is the official day Joe joined the Eagles in 1975!! Happy Anniversary to all involved. And the rest is history.....

VAisForEagleLovers
12-20-2014, 08:25 PM
A great early Christmas present for all Eagles fans, in my opinion...

Funk 50
12-21-2014, 01:40 PM
This is a bit off topic, but Freypower mentioned that Tim joined the Eagles in 1978. I could be wrong, but I thought Tim was brought on in the fall of 1977. However, since the band wasn't touring, he didn't make his first public appearance with the band until the Rolling Stone softball game in May, 1978.

Little Criminals is a 1977 album by Randy Newman.

Some of the instrumental work and backing vocals on the album are performed by members of the Eagles. In particular, Glenn Frey played guitar on two tracks, Joe Walsh played guitar on three tracks, and Don Henley and Tim Schmit sang background vocals on one track each. Frey and J. D. Souther, who had earlier been the duo Longbranch Pennywhistle, sang background vocals on three tracks.

Pasted from Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Criminals

I think this is Tim's first singing credit with Glenn and Don. I'm trying to think of the last one now. Three or more Eagles harmonizing on a non Eagles album?

Any advance on Joe's, Here We Are Now (1982 but no Glenn) (almost dragging it back on topic) :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
12-21-2014, 03:32 PM
Glenn, Don, and Timothy sang on Seger's Fire Lake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Lake

12-21-2014, 04:36 PM
And the 3 of them also sang backup together on Boz Scaggs song "Look What You've Done to Me" from the Urban Cowboy soundtrack.

And I would like to belatedly acknowledge the anniversary of Joe joining the Eagles - it was definitely a defining moment for both and a victory for the fans as VA said. I've said before that as much as I appreciate Bernie's immense talent, I think the switch in musical direction was necessary for the band. If they had not successfully made the change, it is doubtful that they would be the legendary band they are today, IMHO.

Freypower
12-21-2014, 05:18 PM
Both Fire Lake & Look What You've Done For Me were released after the Little Criminals album (Little Criminals is 1977). But although all three appear on Little Criminals they are not all on the same track. Glenn & Tim are on Short People (with J.D.Souther) & Don & Glenn are on Rider In The Rain (with J.D.) My favourite is the magnfiicent Baltimore which features Glenn & J.D. Glenn & Joe play guitar on several tracks on this album as well (as mentioned above).

VAisForEagleLovers
12-21-2014, 05:26 PM
Dreamer, I look at it in the sense that Bernie had already left the band, so for me, it's not a case of Joe being a better option than Bernie. I just feel that Joe was a much better option than anyone else they could have chosen.

WalshFan88
12-21-2014, 05:57 PM
I think getting Joe in the band in place of Bernie was the smartest thing they've done or could do.

The change to rock n' roll served them well with the success of Hotel California and The Long Run.

Funk 50
12-22-2014, 06:31 AM
I think getting Joe in the band in place of Bernie was the smartest thing they've done or could do.

The change to rock n' roll served them well with the success of Hotel California and The Long Run.

I notice Felder's still claiming the credit for taking the Eagles more rock'n'roll.

I've just recently formed the opinion that the Eagles/Walsh union was on the cards before Felder arrived on the scene, the stumbling block being Joe's solo career.

When the band meet Felder, they decide we don't need Joe, we can have this guy instead. A few months later they decide that they still need Joe.

If they brought in Joe first, I can't see Don Felder ever becoming an Eagle. Whether Bernie left or not. Judging by Felder's most recent album, he's actually more M.O.R. than the Eagles.

UndertheWire
12-22-2014, 07:39 AM
The story is that Joe was out of town when they wanted someone to play slide on "Good Day in Hell". The truth is that Glenn, Henley and Randy were responsible for taking the band in a more rock-n-roll direction and they brought Felder and Joe in to help them.

Midnight Visitor
12-22-2014, 01:35 PM
I've just recently formed the opinion that the Eagles/Walsh union was on the cards before Felder arrived on the scene, the stumbling block being Joe's solo career.

When the band meet Felder, they decide we don't need Joe, we can have this guy instead. A few months later they decide that they still need Joe.

Sorry, I don't think that's the case. Felder was a friend of Bernie's. Felder did in fact bring a more rock guitar sound to the band. I don't believe there was any talk of Joe joining before Felder.

12-22-2014, 02:41 PM
Dreamer, I look at it in the sense that Bernie had already left the band, so for me, it's not a case of Joe being a better option than Bernie. I just feel that Joe was a much better option than anyone else they could have chosen.

I hear ya VA. And I certainly don't mean to be derogatory to Bernie. I think he was the perfect choice for the band at the beginning to achieve the country rock sound they were going for. When the band decided to go for a more rock and roll sound, they brought in Felder. Unfortunately, they still were unable to achieve exactly what they wanted until they made the transition from Bernie to Joe. They actually announced Bernie's departure and the addition of Joe at the same time in a short press release. I know the context of the press release is on the site somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Now, since I'm one that loves all of the music that the band did, I don't think one incarnation of the band was better than the other. I do, however, believe the change was a very shrewd move because it proved that the band was able to perform pretty much any genre of popular music at a very high level. As I said in my previous post, I believe that the change was very significant in making the band a lasting entity.

Freypower
12-22-2014, 05:39 PM
I notice Felder's still claiming the credit for taking the Eagles more rock'n'roll.

If they brought in Joe first, I can't see Don Felder ever becoming an Eagle. Whether Bernie left or not. Judging by Felder's most recent album, he's actually more M.O.R. than the Eagles.

Joe didn't join until the end of 1975 which is over a year after Felder joined.

I'm not sure how the comment about Road To Forever which was made in 2012 is relevant to Felder's music in 1974.

VAisForEagleLovers
12-23-2014, 01:27 AM
I hear ya VA. And I certainly don't mean to be derogatory to Bernie. I think he was the perfect choice for the band at the beginning to achieve the country rock sound they were going for. When the band decided to go for a more rock and roll sound, they brought in Felder. Unfortunately, they still were unable to achieve exactly what they wanted until they made the transition from Bernie to Joe. They actually announced Bernie's departure and the addition of Joe at the same time in a short press release. I know the context of the press release is on the site somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Now, since I'm one that loves all of the music that the band did, I don't think one incarnation of the band was better than the other. I do, however, believe the change was a very shrewd move because it proved that the band was able to perform pretty much any genre of popular music at a very high level. As I said in my previous post, I believe that the change was very significant in making the band a lasting entity.

I think they had to make the change. They wanted the success that only came to bands who were pure rock and roll, yes, but by 1975, country rock was not nearly as popular, and rock music was taking a turn. Their older catalog was still well received, as evidenced by the sales of Their Greatest Hits, but to keep making more of the same would have been a mistake.

12-20-2015, 02:28 PM
HAPPY 40TH ANNIVERSARY JOE!!!

This is a momentous day in Eagles history. It was 40 years ago today that the music world was rocked with the news that Joe Walsh was joining the Eagles. In spite of many fans being very skeptical at the time, I thought it was awesome. Looking back now, it seems to have been a brilliant move for all parties involved.

http://www.joewalshonline.com/images/JWalshWild.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS JOE!!!

Long may you ROCK!!!

LuvTim
12-20-2015, 05:20 PM
HAPPY 40TH ANNIVERSARY JOE!!!

This is a momentous day in Eagles history. It was 40 years ago today that the music world was rocked with the news that Joe Walsh was joining the Eagles. In spite of many fans being very skeptical at the time, I thought it was awesome. Looking back now, it seems to have been a brilliant move for all parties involved.

http://www.joewalshonline.com/images/JWalshWild.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS JOE!!!

Long may you ROCK!!!

Dreamer, you have said it well, so I will second that.
Gotta love Joe. :rockguitar:

SoaringRockyMountainWay
12-20-2015, 07:11 PM
Joe is so awesome and I'm glad he's an Eagle! :)

shunlvswx
12-20-2015, 07:43 PM
Happy 40th Anniversary to Joe. I think this was Glenn's and Irving's best decision to bring Joe into the band. He brought so much back in 1975 and he still bring so much today.

Taking a quote from one of his songs. Life's Been very good to him.

Brooke
12-21-2015, 03:58 PM
I remember hearing about Joe joining and couldn't quite figure it out! Thankfully, all of us skeptical fans were proven wrong! Joe rocks the Eagles!

HAPPY 40TH JOE!

WalshFan88
12-21-2015, 09:37 PM
Joe joining the Eagles was the best thing that ever happened to the band.

The rock edge combined with Felder really transformed the band into what I like, a full fledged classic rock band.

He really did give them the boost they needed. I can't imagine Bernie on the HC album, not just the title track. But then I can't imagine Joe on the first LP or Desperado.

sodascouts
12-22-2015, 12:07 AM
A day to celebrate, for sure (even if I am a day late).

AlreadyGone95
12-23-2015, 12:50 AM
Didn't see this until now. Congrats on 40 years Joe! :guitar:

shunlvswx
12-20-2016, 11:33 AM
Happy 41st Anniversary to Joe joining the Eagles.

FreyFollower
12-20-2016, 06:45 PM
What a great addition was Joe! So glad he got healthy and returned for the "second act"!

sodascouts
12-21-2016, 04:40 PM
A notable day indeed!

Brooke
12-22-2016, 10:37 AM
I remember thinking back then that it was crazy, but oh how I was proved wrong! :lol:

shunlvswx
12-22-2016, 10:40 AM
I think a lot of people back then thought it was a crazy idea. Joe proved everybody wrong.

My My
10-05-2017, 02:03 AM
Sorry to post on an old thread, but I've just joined the board and have been reading through some of them.

I was way more than skeptical when it was announced that Joe was joining the band. I was so angry! One reason was a small thing, but I hated when DJs started referring to" Joe Walsh and the Eagles." In my mind, that singled him out as the leader, sort of like Diana Ross and the Supremes.

Another reason was that I simply was not a James Gang fan at all. I really loved the early Eagles stuff (and some of the Bernie songs) and didn't want a James Gang concert breaking out during my beloved Eagles concert! I felt that for every song Joe did, an Eagles song would be left off the set list.

Of course it ended up working out well for all involved, but it took me a while to get there! I could finally smile when I heard the first chords of Rocky Mountain Way...

New Kid In Town
10-07-2017, 02:17 PM
Well, I am late posting this but better late than never. I remember hearing that Joe had joined the band and was shocked. I was also surprised Bernie had quit but, I remember reading/hearing back than that he was not happy going more rock. One of the best moves they made - it sent them over the top to become the biggest American R & R band in history. So, here's to you Joe(and Glenn for hiring him). May you rock on many more years to come. :rockguitar:

Scamp
09-23-2020, 08:14 AM
Having just joined about a month ago I just found this thread. I too wondered why Joe would join the Eagles. He had a real up and coming solo career going. Also why would the Eagles want him. Think about it now, he played with on the same card with the Eagles many times. He's appeared in their encore shows including when they would put him in a stage crate and roll him out on the stage. Listen to the crowd roar when he posed out and started RMW. They Eagles were looking for a rock star and he was there.
The Eagles were also thinking of adding an organ to their songs and Joe could play one, as well as keyboard. You see him playing acoustic guitar with them, especially 12 string, but I don't think I've ever seen Don play acoustic except the opening intro to HC on the one tour. It really gave them some diversity with guitar they didn't have before. Joe brought in a lot of fans that came to see him. Henley didn't like Joe being all over the stage so he told Joe if he didn't stay put he's glue hie shoes to the stage. LOL. Also Joe had more show experience than all of the Eagles. He's opened for Cream and the Who and toured with the Who in Europe. Sometimes I wondered if that was a problem for Don, Joe knew what was going on when it came to shows. He was playing in the James gang before Glenn and Don got together in LA,
Joe was tired of being solo and was ready to join a band. He just want to play and will step back and let someone else play lead, you still see that today, with the Eagles and in his solo act. He's a band member. He understands music and harmony. He and Don taught each other a few things while playing guitar together.
Of course Glenn helped Joe with his singing. Really taught him how breath and project his voice. He's a much better singer since joining the Eagles. Plus like all of them he was free to pursue his solo career as long as it didn't interfere with the Eagles work. Over all I think it was one of the best moves for both him and the Eagles. You still hear people in the crowd calling is name.

KingWalsh
09-23-2020, 11:30 PM
Don't forget it was a tough time personaly for Joe. His daughter Emma passed away, his marriage couldn't survive that loss, and both Irving and Bill Szymczyk were concerned for his well being. Joe has spoken of this in past interviews. I posted one on here somewhere...anyways, when Bernie quit, it kind of all fell into place, Joe wanting to be in a band to not be in charge and such, and Irving and Bill's worries of his well being, the band wanting a more rock sound, well, the rest was history...crazy how things fall into place.

Scamp
09-28-2020, 08:28 AM
Listening to Joe speak at the Ohio AAA meeting video, it was sad to hear him talk about Emma. How he got the phone call and how he had to make the decision to pull the plug by his self. Today there is a child who has Emma's corneas and one with her kidney.
After listen to that video, to those who say he's a Buddhist, he's not. He did meet some Buddhist Monks who taught him how to meditate but he is Christen. He married Lucy's mother in a Catholic Church. Listening to it he talks a lot about God. He really is a good speaker I wish there was video to see but given it was an AAA meeting there is only audio.

KingWalsh
09-29-2020, 03:33 AM
It’s heartbreaking, Scamp. I cannot fathom the pain he felt/feels. Have you seen the video from his talk in New Zealand regarding addictions? Very emotional.

Scamp
10-02-2020, 08:05 AM
Yes I saw that one. He gets very emotional when speaking and I think that is what makes him so good when giving those types of talks. Have you listen to the Ohio one yet? I think it is one of his best. He really laid it all on the line. You rarely hear him talk about Emma, I think he still hurts. Also this was the first I time I really heard him talk about his rehab. Would like to have seen a video of the event but it was an AAA meting.
They say he is really in demand to speak at AAA meetings, not just because of who he is but he's so open about it. He also can be very funny when he needs to and serious when needs too.

KingWalsh
10-03-2020, 03:43 AM
I haven’t yet. Thanks for posting though. Maybe this weekend. He has touched many lives in more ways then he’ll ever know.

Scamp
10-07-2020, 08:58 AM
It’s heartbreaking, Scamp. I cannot fathom the pain he felt/feels. Have you seen the video from his talk in New Zealand regarding addictions? Very emotional.
I was reading a Joe interview the other day, just found it looking around. It was what you see in most of his interviews. I believe it was a 2016 interview. He talked about Emma's accident, nothing different than he normal does until the end he said "One kid got her corneas and another got a kidney and I got to live with the decision to shut the machine off." That's the first I've ever heard him say the living with the decision part.
It was heartbreaking to read that. Not only losing your child but haunted by the decision.

10-11-2020, 01:35 PM
Yeah - I remember reading where he said something to that effect before - may have been the same interview. Very sad!

shunlvswx
12-21-2023, 12:31 AM
Happy 48th anniversary of Joe joining the Eagles. He has brought so much to the band along with Felder. I’m so glad he was asked to join the Eagles.

12-23-2023, 12:45 PM
Happy Anniversary to Joe. He made a lasting impact on the band, that's for sure. The band was never the same after his arrival and I guess that was the idea. :thumbsup:

FreyFollower
02-14-2024, 09:52 PM
On Facebook from Axxs tv
https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=7320336778033133

Joe on how he came to join the group; "Life in the Fast Lane" story.

02-16-2024, 12:44 AM
You gotta love that guy!