PDA

View Full Version : Van Morrison

Stars
12-27-2009, 08:52 PM
I was listening to a Van Morrison song the other day, "And it Stoned Me", and I remembered how much I loved that song "way back when" -lol. I just can't remember what album it's on. If there are any fans of Van the Man on the board, maybe you can enlighten me! Thanks!:thumbsup:

Freypower
12-28-2009, 08:13 PM
That magnificent piece of music is from what remains his greatest album, Moondance, which also contains his greatest song of all time, Into The Mystic.

If anyone would like to dip into the wonderful world of the Belfast Cowboy I recommend the following albums (in order of preference):

1. Moondance
2. Beautiful Vision
3. Poetic Champions Compose
4. Irish Heartbeat (with the Chieftains)
5. Astral Weeks
6. Saint Dominic's Preview
7. Tupelo Honey
8. Too Long In Exile
9. Into The Music
10. No Guru, No Method, No Teacher

If I had to name a Top 10 songs it is as follows:

1. Into The Mystic
2. Wonderful Remark
3. Cleaning Windows
4. And It Stoned Me
5. Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child
6. Irish Heartbeat
7. Too Long In Exile
8. Caravan
9. Madame George
10. Sweet Thing

Brooke
12-29-2009, 05:37 PM
I love Into The Mystic. and Brown Eyed Girl.

Looks like Van is a daddy again!

http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/articles/2009/12/29/van_morrison_is_a_dad_again/

Stars
12-29-2009, 06:31 PM
FP, thanks for the info! I know I have the Moondance album here at the house-just gotta search for it!
Brooke, that's great news about Van becoming a Dad again! Congrats to Van and Gigi, and here's wishing much happiness to the whole family!:thumbsup:

Freypower
12-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Good grief. Congratulations to them, but Van III..... why not call him George instead?

Freypower
12-31-2009, 08:39 PM
It wasn't true!!!!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/01/01/2783713.htm

Well, at least I now know he's still with Michelle!!!:eyebrow:

Stars
01-01-2010, 09:33 AM
I'm always telling myself NOT to believe everything I read on the Internet, but I do tend to be quite gullible!:hilarious:
At any rate, I am glad that he and Michelle are still together!:)

Brooke
01-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Good grief! Yeah, I'm quite gullible too! :brickwall:

Freypower
01-04-2010, 06:21 PM
This strange saga continues:

http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=9962_Van_Morrison_Child_Story_Is_Com pletely_Bizarre

TimothyBFan
01-05-2010, 10:37 AM
WOW--Strange! Wonder if Michelle even knew about it and why he would try to say that he didn't even know who this Gigi is if it could so easily be found out. This will be interesting to follow further.

WalshFan88
02-22-2014, 03:36 AM
Bringing this thread back. I've been getting into some of his music lately. I was never a big fan, I couldn't stand Brown Eyed Girl (although I've had to play it more times than I could count).

But once I discovered Wild Night, Into The Mystic, etc I really have got a new appreciation for him. Into The Mystic is in my relaxation playlist (check the off topic area for my thread about that) and is so mellowing and Wild Night has a great beat to it and an uptempo feel. In no way sounding similar, it reminds me of Elton John's "Levon". Milder tempo verses but a fun singalong chrous that are more upbeat.

Freypower
02-22-2014, 04:57 PM
They are both great songs; particulaly Mystic which is my favourite song by him bar none. I do tend to prefer him doing Celtic inspired slow songs rather than uptempo but I am glad you like Wild Night. You might want to have a listen to the title track of Too Long In Exile where he namechecks some other famous Irishmen who've 'been on the mainland too long'. I would be interested to know if there are any other tracks you like.

Brooke
02-23-2014, 05:43 PM
I really love Into the Mystic and Wild Night too. Other than Brown-eyed Girl, which I like, I don't know any others.

Freypower
02-23-2014, 06:35 PM
It's hard to know what to recommend but see what I wrote on the previous page. There are three Greatest Hits albums which are worth hearing. The most accessible album is Moondance. Irish Heartbeat is the one to get for the Celtic stuff. Poetic Champions Compose has a really nice selection of songs.

WalshFan88
02-23-2014, 07:51 PM
Just listened to "Exile" - really good. I'm definitely getting more into his music than I ever have in the post. I'll check out the Moondance album.

Freypower
02-24-2014, 01:17 AM
Just listened to "Exile" - really good. I'm definitely getting more into his music than I ever have in the post. I'll check out the Moondance album.

I'm so glad you liked it! Georgie Fame's organ & backing vocals - just superb.

Also check out Cleaning Windows which is a wonderful song about early days in Belfast (while 'blowing saxophone on the weekend/in that Down joint') from the Beautiful Vision album.

TimothyBFan
10-28-2014, 04:06 PM
I saw something on FB this morning but didn't have time to read it and when I went back to look for it, couldn't remember who had posted it and couldn't find it. It was something regarding a 300 page book that Van was putting out of the lyrics to his songs? Anyone hear anything about it? I'd be interested.

Freypower
10-28-2014, 06:11 PM
It's called Lit Up Inside.

http://vanmorrison.com/news.aspx?id=100963

This is a review by the Irish News:

http://vanmorrison.com/news.aspx?id=100976

This goes into some detail about the many joys to be found in some of these lyrics:

http://vanmorrison.com/news.aspx?id=100991

TimothyBFan
10-28-2014, 07:30 PM
Thanks FP. I knew you'd know. I was going to message you on FB but couldn't. The review you linked was very positive. I've put it on my Amazon wishlist (I was told not to buy everything before Christmas). Thanks again.

WalshFan88
11-13-2014, 01:53 PM
I have to laugh because I just heard Brown Eyed Girl. I always thought the line was "gunned down the old man with a transistor radio". It's "going down to the old mine with a transistor radio". Van tends to slur his words in this one.

The second one now makes sense! lol

Freypower
06-12-2015, 10:28 PM
Congratulations to Sir Van Morrison!!!

I am listening to Here Comes The Knight from No Guru, No Method, No Teacher in tribute.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jun/12/queens-birthday-honours-list-knights-outnumber-dames-five-to-one#comment-53725206

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-33107609

L101
06-13-2015, 06:25 PM
Congratulations Sir Van Morrison!!

Can't wait for November 20th now :grin:

DivineDon
06-14-2015, 05:56 AM
Yeah :thumbsup: he deserves the accolade

L101
08-31-2015, 06:17 PM
Happy 70th Birthday Van the Man!! :birthday:

Van played two shows in Belfast today on the street where he lived to celebrate his birthday - he still sounds as good as ever!

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2015/0831/724718-van-morrison/

Freypower
08-31-2015, 06:32 PM
I second that; happy birthday Sir Van!

And he was 'caught one more time up on Cyprus Avenue' no less!

Funk 50
09-02-2015, 04:17 AM
Thanks for the Van The Man info.

Here's the concert of Van, aged 70, Caught on Cyrus Avenue
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0681pb7#play

It's available throughout September (2015)

Celtic Swing
Close Enough for Jazz
Moondance
So What
42nd Street
Whatever Happened to PJ Proby
Born to Sing
Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child
Mystic of the East
Brown Eyed Girl
Days Like This
Baby Please Don’t Go
Parchman Farm
Don’t Start Crying Now
Sometimes We Cry
Whenever God Shines His Light
Enlightenment
The Things I Used to Do
And The Healing Has Begun
Ballerina
In The Garden

I'll have to check out Radio Ulster's Van Morrison Top 70. He's amazingly prolific for a guy that never stops touring. Well he's just amazing!

L101
11-20-2015, 08:04 PM
Just been to see Van Morrison and I have to say we were really disappointed! ! The setlist was similar to above but no Brown Eyed Girl or Moindance! He was not very talkative, and kept walking off the stage and the whole concert was extremely boring - a lot of people left before it was over. Vans voice was great and the band was excellent, its just a pity about Van :thumbsdown:

Girl From Yesterday
03-18-2016, 03:24 AM
My 23 ur old son was a very cholicky baby.l.turned out he had a hiatal hernia and severe reflux which required surgery later on, but when he would scream and cry as a baby, all I,had to do was play that Moondance cd and it was like flipping a switch, he would calm down and eventually go to sleep.
When he was about 3 or so he would go to,the stereo and say....oh da wada ...oh da wada until I would put the cd on lol..
Love me some Van !

Girl From Yesterday
03-18-2016, 03:26 AM
I was listening to a Van Morrison song the other day, "And it Stoned Me", and I remembered how much I loved that song "way back when" -lol. I just can't remember what album it's on. If there are any fans of Van the Man on the board, maybe you can enlighten me! Thanks!:thumbsup:

That song....that album was my lifesaver when my child was sick...we kept one in the house and one in each vehicle...I still love that album !

WS82Classics
10-04-2016, 06:23 PM
Never got far into his back-catalogue, but I hope to someday. Do love the songs "Domino," "Moondance,"(his best tong by far) and "Wild Night."(John Mellencamp's version sucks ice)

Freypower
10-04-2016, 06:29 PM
Never got far into his back-catalogue, but I hope to someday. Do love the songs "Domino," "Moondance,"(his best tong by far) and "Wild Night."(John Mellencamp's version sucks ice)

I am happy to give you recommendations.

WS82Classics
10-04-2016, 06:46 PM
I am happy to give you recommendations.

I'd certainly be interested to hear them.

The only songs I know are his hits, and the only albums of which I have fleeting awareness are ones that have his hits("Astral Weeks," "Blowin' Your Mind," and "Moondance").

Freypower
10-04-2016, 07:43 PM
Well, if you go back to the first page of the thread you will see my favourite albums & songs.

I would say that Blowin' Your Mind from his pre Astral Weeks days isn't really representative of what he became. It depends - are you interested in the mystical Celtic visionary? If so, Astral Weeks. Jazz & blues flavoured songwriting? Moondance. Return to his Irish roots? Irish Heartbeat. More mainstream FM radio songs? Beautiful Vision or Into The Music, both of which also contain elements of all of the above.