PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Hall Of Fame Inductees

Freypower
01-04-2010, 06:35 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/12/16/2773175.htm?site=news

Genesis for Koala and the Hollies for Willie.

I wonder if there will be a special one off performance by Abba.

Maybe it will finally be Dire Straits' turn next year because they were formed in 1977, so they are eligible.

sodascouts
01-05-2010, 12:21 AM
Interesting! I'm surprised Genesis wasn't already in there.

Koala
01-05-2010, 02:29 AM
Genesis for Koala
Yeah, I just read it, great news!
I think it was time that Genesis finally be inducted into the Hall Of Fame.
That ABBA will perform, I can not imagine!

TimothyBFan
01-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Oh my goodness---I hadn't heard this yet!! What great news!! But isn't it surprising that The Hollies haven't been in there for years? :headscratch:

To be honest-I get upset every year when they announce the new inductees because it seems there are several bands that should of been there for YEARS and still haven't been inducted. The Hollies have been around for about a century now right? And Abba & Genesis seem to have deserved it long ago in my humble opinion! :brickwall:

A couple more that really really really tick me off (and not just because I am a huge fan of these bands) are Sweet (gold & sliver albums and 13 singles that topped the charts above 20 in Great Britain, 20 in Germany & dozens that topped the charts above 20 in about a dozen other countries) and The Cars (2 6x platinum, 2 4x platinum, 1 2x platinum, 1 1x platinum, 3 gold, 1 silver albums & 8 singles -including 3 #1's- topping the charts in the US in the top 20 Rock charts and 6 singles topping the charts in the Us in the top 20 Pop charts). They are both obviously worthy!!!

This could be a whole other thread about who decides who is inducted. I read a story years ago about it and it wasn't pretty.

Enough of my diatribe ..... Sorry!

I'd put money on The Hollies being there and performing!! How cool will that be? Love you Tony!!!!

:cheers: Congrats to all the new inductees. :applause::applause:

ETA--I knew there was another band I've always thought deserved it more than many but couldn't think of it earlier. Just hit me--RUSH---where in the world are they. And even tho I've never liked them, KISS should be there, no denying it.

Also why is it called Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame when you induct people like Madonna, Run DMC or even Abba? Why not just Music Hall Of Fame? Just thinking here.

Freypower
01-05-2010, 06:27 PM
A lot of it has to do with Rolling Stone magazine. They do all the promotion of it. Jann Wenner is the chairman of the committee. If he doesn't like the acts they won't get in, is my impression. I can't see them rhapsodising for pages over this year's inductees - not really 'hip' by RS standards. They will give all their attention to the Stooges.

I know how you feel about Sweet, Willie, (I feel that way about Slade) but I really think that if an act has not made a significant impact in the United States they probably will never make the Hall of Fame. As for Rush, they espouse the doctrine of 'individualism' as opposed to the 'communal' myth that RS claims is the abiding theme of rock music.

As far as it being called 'rock & roll' it's embracing all post 1950s popular music and Abba were fairly definitive there in producing some very high class popular songs, even if they weren't 'rock' (I wouldn't really call the Hollies 'rock' either).

EasyFeeling
01-10-2010, 01:02 PM
It's new to me that ABBA is Rock'n Roll. :brickwall: And I'm p***** that KISS didn't make it. :-x

Freypower
01-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Well, as I said above, I think the term 'rock 'n' roll' here is meant to cover most popular music since the 50s. The black artists who are in the Hall like Aretha, Stevie etc are R&B or soul rather than 'rock'. As far as I am concerned Abba deserve this as much as anyone else.

As for Kiss I must disagree. What musical legacy did they leave? They had a couple of big singalong hits but they were primarily known for their makeup and costumes. (Apologies to Kiss fans - I like Rock'n'Roll All Nite and I Was Made For Loving You as much as anyone but they are not really in the top echelon of memorable songs).

The fact is not every act who ever made it big can be included or the thing becomes cheapened.

EagleLady
01-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Sorry, FP, But Kiss does belong in the hall. Just MY opinion.

Freypower
01-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Yes, EL. And the above was MY opinion.

TimothyBFan
01-11-2010, 08:20 AM
And my opinion is the same as yours FP! Take away the makeup and high jinx and I really don't see much talent but I know MANY others disagree. Unlike you, the only song I can honestly say that I like is Beth and I don't mind hearing Detroit Rock City but really couldn't care less if I ever hear it.

EasyFeeling
01-11-2010, 02:06 PM
I was not interested in Kiss until a saw the MTV unplugged concert from 1995 ... without makeup btw. :) And I never thought they are such good musicians. Their performance blew me away and I started to look for more about them... not so much the known songs but the other older songs like I Stole Your Love, Fits Like A Glove, Forever, Rock Bottom, Domino, Plaster Caster and so on. They have some really great tunes which I never heard before. I think they had their best times during the "non makeup" era.

Most of the shows this year were sold out so they must have many many fans out there. Me included. Each to his own.

TimothyBFan
01-11-2010, 02:19 PM
This subject came up in a Cars blog on Yahoo--here's a link to a petition to try and get the Cars nominated if anyone's interested in signing it. I sure did!

http://www.petitiononline.com/Cars2009/petition.html

Brooke
01-11-2010, 05:08 PM
I can't say I care for KISS either. I'd never seen them in concert or on tv until last summer and caught them on VH1 Classic. I like a couple of their big hits, but as for watching them: :yuck: Jmo!

sodascouts
01-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Same here. KISS is definitely NOT to my tastes. Too gimmicky - not enough substance.

EagleLady
01-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Kiss was the epitiome of 70's Glam Rock. Heck, they may have influenced a few trends in fashion, and They influenced some 80's Glam bands. That alone, they should be inducted

TimothyBFan
01-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Kiss was the epitiome of 70's Glam Rock.

Oh hell no!!! I can't believe you said that!! :hilarious: Hate to tell you EL but there were a heck of a lot of Glam bands that came waaaaaaay before Kiss, David Bowie, Marc Bolan and T. Rex, Slade and SWEET to name a few, and that is fact not opinion. If you'd like proof I would definitely be able to provide you with that info. Glam was NOT spewing blood all over the place to get attention.

That being said-I wont disagree that Kiss should be in the HOF. I can see where they might deserve it but not before a lot of other more deserving bands. JMHO

EagleLady
01-11-2010, 08:12 PM
The Spewing Blood I believe was Shock Rock, I forgot to mention that :hilarious:

Freypower
01-12-2010, 05:27 PM
And if anyone did the 'shock rock' stuff, it was Alice Cooper, and he is much more deserving of being in the Hall of Fame than Kiss are (again, my opinion).

As for influencing 'fashion' trends I didn't see too many people in the 70s wandering around in black jumpsuits and covered in makeup.

EagleLady
01-12-2010, 05:36 PM
Kiss had hardcore fans. who Yes, Painted their faces black and white. and They also did Shock Rock besides Alice Cooper.

Freypower
01-12-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm not going to pursue this but to be inducted into the Hall of Fame I would have thought the appeal and/or influence of the act has to stretch far beyond only its hardcore fans. Hence Jimmy Cliff, who was a pioneer of the emerging reggae movement, even if he didn't sell many records.

tbs fanatic
01-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Oh hell no!!! I can't believe you said that!! :hilarious: Hate to tell you EL but there were a heck of a lot of Glam bands that came waaaaaaay before Kiss, David Bowie, Marc Bolan and T. Rex, Slade and SWEET to name a few, and that is fact not opinion. If you'd like proof I would definitely be able to provide you with that info. Glam was NOT spewing blood all over the place to get attention.

That being said-I wont disagree that Kiss should be in the HOF. I can see where they might deserve it but not before a lot of other more deserving bands. JMHO

OMG - Marc Bolan and T. Rex - Marc was soooooooooo HOT! :smitten::lol: